Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advanced Fog of War Feedback Thread 2.0

I am guessing something is causing the DL layer to load more slowly that the tokens, so the token sees through the "walls", then the DL lines load in, but AFoW stays revealed, albeit greyed-out. Time for me to turn AFoW off again. Roll20, c'mon, sort it out please! BilBo 2 said: Things are getting better, for that I really appreciate it. One new / old thing I discovered, if as a player, things seem to work fine if the GM has just set us on a new map. but at times during the game we might need to refresh our browser, coming back to the game (ie...F5 OR exit & re-enter game) Everything that is in a tokens Light Radius, is now revealed. Not tokens, but walls, floor decor, and such. AFoW & DL ends up being useless again. Players can just refresh browser, to find were the map leads.... I had a player tell me this during the game a week ago. He was like "I can see the whole map GM". At 1st I wasn't sure, reset fog, all went back to normal, but it took out where they had been...no biggie Was just experimenting with it, now I realized what he had done.....refreshed his browser in game..... I have repeated this both ways, It doesn't always fail, about 50% chance of failure...

Edited 1558448942
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
New Issue: Token can see through multiple DL lines I was putting together the promo images for a new marketplace product, and I came across a very strange bug where the token can see through multiple DL lines. On this map, the PCs go through a maze. The DL lines follow the walls and are not snapped to the grid (at least not in the area I will zoom in on). Here are the page and token settings. Looking closer at the DL lines of the room we are going to check: Resetting the fog of war and then using Ctrl+L gives the following view, but rejoining as a player sees the same. The token is looking through 2 and sometimes 3 DL lines to reveal fog of war, and the lines being penetrated are straight (rather than seeing through corners). Moving the token around the four corners of the room reveals the following portion of the map. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Redrawing the DL lines fixed it.
Hi Brian, Could you provide the name of the game where you are seeing this behavior so I can take a closer look? Thank you!
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Hi Brian, Could you provide the name of the game where you are seeing this behavior so I can take a closer look? Thank you! Hi Drespar, I made you a copy and verified the same behavior still happened, so you can modify the copy at will. Game id is 4649774.
Thank you for the ID-- Looking at the copy I am seeing the same behavior. Did you use the Walls API script to draw the dynamic lighting lines or were they drawn manually?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Thank you for the ID-- Looking at the copy I am seeing the same behavior. Did you use the Walls API script to draw the dynamic lighting lines or were they drawn manually? Manually
Gotcha. Re-drawing the lines on my end results in the problem abating, which leads to a few extra questions-- If you redraw the lines in the copy, do you still run into the same issue? Are you using anything other than a mouse and keyboard to draw the dynamic lighting lines? (i.e. pen and tablet, touch, etc.) Is this the only game where you have run into the issue? If possible, could you create a new game and try to re-create this issue there?

Edited 1558037854
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Gotcha. Re-drawing the lines on my end results in the problem abating, which leads to a few extra questions-- If you redraw the lines in the copy, do you still run into the same issue? Are you using anything other than a mouse and keyboard to draw the dynamic lighting lines? (i.e. pen and tablet, touch, etc.) Is this the only game where you have run into the issue? If possible, could you create a new game and try to re-create this issue there? Hi Drespar Redrawing the original fixed it. Only a mouse and keyboard. This map was the only one with an issue. I ran through all the other maps in the product without issue. Recreating the map in a new game did not cause a repeat of the issue. So whatever the problem was, redrawing the lines fixed it. I even tried copying the lines, deleting them, and pasting them back in to see if that changed anything with both the problematic and fixed lines to see if the paste process did something to the lines. The working Ctrl+L made the process of checking all the maps much easier and faster.
Brian C. said: Drespar said: *snip* A note regarding  Known Issue 14 -- This behavior is due to technical limitations on what can be processed for a singular token that have been present since the creation of AFoW . We understand the desire for this feature to more closely align with expectations and it is documented in our ticketing system. However, this is not a bug and will be considered a feature request and thus outside the scope of this thread. *snip* Hi Drespar, I really do not think the italicized part of the statement is correct. Prior to the Jan 29 rewrite, I used AFoW and DL extensively in my testing of products going on the marketplace, both with darkvision and with vision that required external lights. I agree with Brian.  Before the "update", the AFoW was revealed in my game based on what each token's character could actually see.  This worked properly for characters with darkvision (i.e. their token emitted light that was not shared), characters with torches (i.e. their token emitted shared light) and characters that could only see by virtue of other light sources (i.e. their token did not emit light).  The AFoW was revealed appropriately for all of these classes of characters, and we had been playing like that for a while... This is certainly a bug and not a feature request.
I actually liked how auras rotated with the token, it wasn't a bug to me :(
AFOW is crashing my DOTMM game making it unplayable on firefox.
Hello Anthony V., To rule out potential issues, please be sure to follow these steps of our guide to   Solving Technical Issues  to be able to help diagnose your specific issue: Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thanks!
Reminder to bring back the negative aura the way they worked before this update if you can, please!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thomas C. said: Reminder to bring back the negative aura the way they worked before this update if you can, please! I too would like this, as it was useful. If there are no plans to restore this emergent feature, please let us know.
Sam T. said: Brian C. said: Drespar said: *snip* A note regarding  Known Issue 14 -- This behavior is due to technical limitations on what can be processed for a singular token that have been present since the creation of AFoW . We understand the desire for this feature to more closely align with expectations and it is documented in our ticketing system. However, this is not a bug and will be considered a feature request and thus outside the scope of this thread. *snip* Hi Drespar, I really do not think the italicized part of the statement is correct. Prior to the Jan 29 rewrite, I used AFoW and DL extensively in my testing of products going on the marketplace, both with darkvision and with vision that required external lights. I agree with Brian.  Before the "update", the AFoW was revealed in my game based on what each token's character could actually see.  This worked properly for characters with darkvision (i.e. their token emitted light that was not shared), characters with torches (i.e. their token emitted shared light) and characters that could only see by virtue of other light sources (i.e. their token did not emit light).  The AFoW was revealed appropriately for all of these classes of characters, and we had been playing like that for a while... This is certainly a bug and not a feature request. Agreed with both of you. The behavior changed with the Jan. 29 rewrite, and not for the better. As long as AFoW isn't keyed to revealing what each token's character can actually see, it's useless to me, and I have to keep it off.
So is AFoW still broken completely? It's really difficult to navigate Rappan Athuk when we have to memorize or draw out which paths we have taken because it's not shown to us anymore by Roll20. 
Hey everyone, You may have noticed that our code release yesterday didn’t have any fixes directly related to Advanced Fog of War listed. Our current priorities are all related into the layering issues tied to Known Issue 1, which includes tokens and token bars being covered by Advanced Fog of War. This is one of the more intensive fixes we have to implement due to the way it interacts with multiple features on the virtual tabletop . We also want to ensure that it’s future proofed to accommodate future development in this area. Thank you for the reporting thus far, and please continue to use this thread for any further issues.

Edited 1558722788
Hi, when I launch the game as a GM or when a player enter the game, the AFoW around the player become revealed, no matter the DL lines . So, I launch the game, the area get reveal around them. I fix the area by manually hiding the reveal area outside of the DL lines . A player enters the game, the area gets revealed again on both screens (GM's and player's) despite the DL lines . I am playing with the Dungeon of The Mad Mage module (and changed nothing of the setting). I tried with "Emits light" of 60ft. and "Have sight" and also tried with the "AFoW Reveal Distance" of 60ft.

Edited 1558726267
The thread is a little long, and I'm not sure if there was any fix since the last time I checked, about 2 months ago, but since then in both my game and in the game of friend that also uses Roll20, if you turn on the AFoW the whole map is shown to the players. I just checked with a dummy account and this problem is still happening. 
Hi Phabien-Jacob, Does this behavior only happen on loading in or does it still happen after being loaded in and moving tokens around? Hi Arthur, Could you provide the name of the game where this is happening?
My game is called Prince of Apocalypse, I didn't brought the roll20 campaign (at the time there wasn't this option yet), so I drawn all the line of sights walls. 

Edited 1558812568
Drespar said: Hi Phabien-Jacob, Does this behavior only happen on loading in or does it still happen after being loaded in and moving tokens around? Only when I as the GM login in or when a player log in. After that everything work fine, but an important chunk of the map is revealed every time someone log in and also if i open the game on a second window (having two window of the game open), the moment it load in, the maps get reveal around the player token again. **EDIT** It happens also in another game (that I've created only to test on it)
Advanced fog of war is causing havoc for us. Dynamic lighting colours are badly incorrect and unplayable. I'm attaching a plethora of screenshots from me and my players to show just how bad this is... Black is chrome, White is Firefox. firefox below chrome as GM  below the last is me, on the latest version of chrome with Advanced fog of war on, as all the others. ( Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)) Chrome as GM below Chrome below firefox below
Gotcha, Thank you for testing that for me! This seems to be related to Known Issue 2. Phabien said: Only when I as the GM login in or when a player log in. After that everything work fine, but an important chunk of the map is revealed every time someone log in and also if i open the game on a second window (having two window of the game open), the moment it load in, the maps get reveal around the player token again. **EDIT** It happens also in another game (that I've created only to test on it) @Paradox That is certainly an interesting rendering! Does this happen in only the one game or can you recreate it in a new game as well? Additionally, it is possible that an extension might be injecting something into the VTT that is causing improper rendering. Have you disabled all extensions when testing? You can also try running in incognito mode which will oftentimes bypass extensions as well.
Arthur V. said: The thread is a little long, and I'm not sure if there was any fix since the last time I checked, about 2 months ago, but since then in both my game and in the game of friend that also uses Roll20, if you turn on the AFoW the whole map is shown to the players. I just checked with a dummy account and this problem is still happening.  Have the same Problem in my Curse of Stradh Modul. Unfortunately I had to switch off AFoW. Cmon after this "great" Updates in the last months the performance is getting worse. Plz fix some knows issues instead of dropping new feat all the time.
I just want to say thank you to all the users who spent so much time posting on this forum. The issue with external light sources not revealing the AFoW was driving me absolutely nuts, and to have the bug "feature" functionality and history explained so well has saved me from wasting another several hours. The behavior seems totally counter-intuitive! I'm going to give all my tokens 60ft of "Reveal", because half of them have Darkvision that gives it anyways. It's imperfect, but oh well.

Edited 1559229228
@Drespar some of my players run Firefox with absolutely zero extensions, and still receive the broken rendering. Same exact fail in incognito. Doesn't happen in my other campaign. This campaign is a copy of a tabletop from over 4 years ago (!) so it's possible that this map is so old that it's fundamentally broken, even though the DL lines are new (circa January) I can't personally test this, since its effects are hard to distinguish for myself, but I will get my players to and update the thread either today or Sunday. It's worth noting we're not talking about the jagged edge of the view cone- that's due a 270* sight range. The actual colors of dynamic lighting are either bright white or vanta black, or a light grey. None of these are the Dynamic Lighting color it should be, and the color changes by toggling Advanced Fog of War. (Also, tiles aren't visible outside of the 270* cone... even with advanced fog of war on...)
The maps in my game (CoS) are being revealed in 40ft r around my player's tokens each time they log in.
Dan H. said: The maps in my game (CoS) are being revealed in 40ft r around my player's tokens each time they log in. Same thing happened to me last night in my homebrew game. I had to go through and redo all of it before the session, makes it kind of pointless to have AFoW when I have to remember where they have been.

Edited 1559311217
Dan H.  said: The maps in my game (CoS) are being revealed in 40ft r around my player's tokens each time they log in. We experienced the same in my campaign recently after the big fix. I tested with Ctrl+L and it initially looked wrong - everything around where I loaded the page was view-able by the tokens as if no dynamic lighting nor fog of war, while the reset of the map was still hidden. I choose Reset Fog in the left menu and everything looked great again, both when testing with Ctrl+L and when players joined. Then in middle of a game session all players and myself as GM had a connection hick-up to Roll20.net, and after that every player token could suddenly see through walls again - again Reset Fog "fixed" it. But a secret room was revealed this was way :( As a sidenote, disabling AFoW but keeping Dynamic Lighting temporarily fixed the issue for the players, but they could see through the walls again after enabling AFoW again until I eventually clicked Reset Fog. I don't really know how to reproduce this bug, but I suggest people being really careful about using AFoW until this has been addressed. 
Gediablo said: Dan H.  said: The maps in my game (CoS) are being revealed in 40ft r around my player's tokens each time they log in. We experienced the same in my campaign recently after the big fix. I tested with Ctrl+L and it initially looked wrong - everything around where I loaded the page was view-able by the tokens as if no dynamic lighting nor fog of war, while the reset of the map was still hidden. I choose Reset Fog in the left menu and everything looked great again, both when testing with Ctrl+L and when players joined. Then in middle of a game session all players and myself as GM had a connection hick-up to Roll20.net, and after that every player token could suddenly see through walls again - again Reset Fog "fixed" it. But a secret room was revealed this was way :( As a sidenote, disabling AFoW but keeping Dynamic Lighting temporarily fixed the issue for the players, but they could see through the walls again after enabling AFoW again until I eventually clicked Reset Fog. I don't really know how to reproduce this bug, but I suggest people being really careful about using AFoW until this has been addressed.  It is Known Issue 2 according to R20 list: " Known Issues The following are known issues with Advanced Fog of War: Tokens Controlled by players have incorrect z-order with respect to AFoW Token bars obscured by Fog of War Directional light obscures token AFoW is revealed at token location with no sight Tokens reveal map beyond expected bounds upon loading the map while dynamic lighting and AFoW is in use Moving a selection of multiple objects creates a ping Re-hiding areas with normal fog of war creates dark squares where it overlaps with already hidden areas instead of seamlessly blending Tokens visible on maps with transparent backgrounds even when out of LoS  (Fixed May 28)" I've had to totally switch off AFoW for the last few months. Annoying as hell, and no end in sight for this. Roll20 peeps, any kind of update?
I'm in the same boat. No AFoW for me until issue #2 is fixed AND things go back to the pre-Jan. 29 break. No amount of backpeddling will make it a "feature." 
took 4 months to fix, finally
Stryxin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Other Light sources still don't reveal Advanced Fog of War.... only the lightsource attached to the token.  So if there are 5 Players, one is holding a torch, only the one with the torch gets the AFoW revealed... So AFoW is still pretty much broken and kinda useless -_-  Cmon it's been 4 Months...
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi everyone, We had a big release this week, and a number of updates specifically for Advanced Fog of War. Very large maps using Advanced Fog of War should no longer have incorrect sections revealed when a player reloads (GMs who have encountered that issue: you will need to reset the fog on that map for the fix to go into effect). Also, when using the normal Fog Hide tool, overlapping sections will no longer gets progressively darker with each section is added. The final big piece is that Advanced Fog of War won’t obscure player controlled tokens (nor their bars, status icons, and name plates). As part of this fix, we’ve changed the previous functionality  so that tokens you control will always appear on top of other elements. We are aware that this introduced some token layering issues , and we are working to resolve those as quickly as possible.    With the major fixes integrated, we are able to begin looking ahead once more. Thank you to all that helped by reporting issues during this process. We do have the Suggestions and Ideas forum if you have any additional feature requests, and we’ll continue to be active in this thread if you encounter new Advanced Fog of War issues. This will be our last scheduled update, but we’ll be active here as needed!

Edited 1559816089
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Steve K. said: *snip* With the major fixes integrated, we are able to begin looking ahead once more. Thank you to all that helped by reporting issues during this process. We do have the Suggestions and Ideas forum if you have any additional feature requests, and we’ll continue to be active in this thread if you encounter new Advanced Fog of War issues. This will be our last scheduled update, but we’ll be active here as needed! Hi Steve, It is disappointing that the Roll20 team was not aware of the full functionality of Advanced Fog of War. External light sources clearing fog of war for a player made AFoW truly powerful. As I experimented with AFoW in the months after it was first released, I found that AFoW would clear any illuminated square within a player token's View Distance regardless of the source of the illumination. This was extremely useful for the players in my 5e game whose characters did not have darkvision. By setting the View Distance (60 in my case) a room's illumination, or that provided by a torch token, would provide the illumination to clear fog of war within the token's View Distance. At the time, I figured the View Distance was used as a way to limit the calculations performed for performance reasons. I started using this feature last year in some of my adventures on the marketplace. An overland map would be hidden by fog of war. A 1-pixel token was hidden in the corner of the map to provide sight to all players without generating its own light. A token representing the party but not controlled by anyone generated the light they needed to be able to see. As the party explored, the GM moved the light token representing the party, and the players were able to see the portion of the map where the party was. I found the View Distance on the player token had to cover the entire map. If the View Distance only covered a portion of the map, the players could see the map in color wherever the light token was moved, but fog of war would only be revealed within the View Distance. I first became aware of the problem in March as I was building the next adventure, but it was hidden at that time by a token's View Distance (now renamed Reveal Distance) doing something it had not done before: clearing any square within a token's View Distance regardless if the square was illuminated. I further clarified the behavior that existed before the rewrite , and you identified it as a bug . Drespar identified the bug as a high priority until last month when declaring that that behavior had never been possible with AFoW despite clearly laid out  evidence to the contrary . This powerful feature was available to help 40% of D&D 5e characters (those without darkvision) before the rewrite and has been confirmed by others . The AFoW rewrite removed it, intentionally or not.

Edited 1559819379
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Cone-Shaped Light Reveals AFoW in a Circle I do not know what the behavior was before the AFoW rewrite, but it seems like a cone of light should not reveal AFoW in a circle all the way around the player token. Here is a very dimly-lit room. Some emergency lighting shows where the doors are, but the majority of this loading bay is in the dark. Left is GM view, right is rejoin as player. Now we are going to give the token a Starfinder flashlight, using dim light to increase the brightness in its area by one level. Here are the page and token settings after adding the flashlight. While you can see the cone of the flashlight from the GM view, the player can hardly see where the flashlight is pointing outside of some faint grid lines. The fog of war is cleared in a 20 ft circle around the player token rather than just in the cone of light. 

Edited 1559825773
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
AFoW Is Too Bright The brightness level of cleared fog of war is much brighter than it used to be. The first image shows cleared fog of war before the rewrite, and the second image shows cleared fog of war after the rewrite. The change in light levels makes cleared fog of war too bright for any scenario where dim light and mood are a factor, like in this image from an upcoming sci-fi/fantasy horror setting for Starfinder. Using the same setup as in the previous post , we now give the player token a flashlight that casts bright light for comparison purposes. The bright light area is almost indistinguishable from the cleared fog of war. In addition, the cleared fog of war is significantly brighter  than the dim light created by the red emergency lights around the doors. It makes it really hard to have a spooky scenario when things appear to be brightly lit. For comparison purposes, here is what it looks like without AFoW.
Hi Brian! For the two topics you mentioned they would fall more under a suggestion as opposed to a bug at this time. Re: FoV reveals a circle -- this is currently not documented as a supported feature for Advanced Fog of War. To that end, the best place for this would be the suggestion forum to request support for field of vision in AFoW. Re: AFoW is Too Bright -- This would also be considered a suggestion ( I would recommend adding your voice here ). Do keep in mind, that while we have control over some degree of the brightness, your personal system can play a large role as well (video card, display settings, monitor contrast, etc.).

Edited 1559838244
Ok, with this new update I managed to make it work.  Some points: To make both the AFoW and Dynamic Light work at the same time, I had to set a Reveal Distance in the players tokens. If I let it without any number the whole map was revealed. When I chose a distance, like 100 ft, even if the player only had light that revealed 60 ft, the 40 ft beyond it was revealed in gray. In the same way as the area already revealed by the player that their token don't currently see. If I set the Reveal Distance  as 0, the token started to see the map as I intended, only revealing what the lights for the token should reveal, and keeping revealed, but in gray, what the player already seen.  Is this the intended way to work? If I turn on the Global Ilumination , the lag became unbearable. I redrawn recently the  Dynamic Light Wall  and they are the minimal necessary for the map, it is a large map that are actually two maps  in the same page. Not sure if the problem was with the size of the map or there is still some lingering performance issues with this feature. Any way, with some work around, I will restart using the feature.  
Arthur V. said: Ok, with this new update I managed to make it work.  Some points: To make both the AFoW and Dynamic Light work at the same time, I had to set a Reveal Distance in the players tokens. If I let it without any number the whole map was revealed. When I chose a distance, like 100 ft, even if the player only had light that revealed 60 ft, the 40 ft beyond it was revealed in gray. In the same way as the area already revealed by the player that their token don't currently see. If I set the Reveal Distance  as 0, the token started to see the map as I intended, only revealing what the lights for the token should reveal, and keeping revealed, but in gray, what the player already seen .  Is this the intended way to work? A question for the part in bold italics: are you saying that with the update, AFoW now reveals everything for a token according to all light sources that said token is within range of (say, another token's torch, when the initial token doesn't have a light source)? If so, that would be hugely welcome news, as it would be in line with Roll20's behavior prior to Jan. 29. 
Drespar said: Hi Brian! For the two topics you mentioned they would fall more under a suggestion as opposed to a bug at this time. Re: FoV reveals a circle -- this is currently not documented as a supported feature for Advanced Fog of War. To that end, the best place for this would be the suggestion forum to request support for field of vision in AFoW. Re: AFoW is Too Bright -- This would also be considered a suggestion ( I would recommend adding your voice here ). Do keep in mind, that while we have control over some degree of the brightness, your personal system can play a large role as well (video card, display settings, monitor contrast, etc.). Is it just me, or does that sound like Roll20 doesn't care about getting the AFoW back to where it was before they broke it? The cone revealing an entire circle is definitely a bug in my book, and fog of war - used mostly to document areas previously visited - should never overpower light sources of any strength.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Hi Brian! For the two topics you mentioned they would fall more under a suggestion as opposed to a bug at this time. Re: FoV reveals a circle -- this is currently not documented as a supported feature for Advanced Fog of War. To that end, the best place for this would be the suggestion forum to request support for field of vision in AFoW. Re: AFoW is Too Bright -- This would also be considered a suggestion ( I would recommend adding your voice here ). Do keep in mind, that while we have control over some degree of the brightness, your personal system can play a large role as well (video card, display settings, monitor contrast, etc.). Hi Drespar, It is remarkable that code changes that make the user experience worse are not deemed worthy to be bugs. From Wikipedia: A  software bug  is an error,  flaw , failure or  fault  in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways. Emitting Conical Light Clears Fog of War in a Circle While I did not personally test conical light from tokens, I would be very surprised if this is not a behavior change, as only illuminated squares cleared fog of war before the rewrite. The software change has caused an incorrect and unexpected result. I would be very surprised if anyone using directional lighting wants fog of war cleared in a circle. If someone did actually want that behavior, they could just turn on the new Reveal Distance behavior to clear a circle. The new behavior is arguably incorrect and certainly unexpected.  AFoW Is Too Bright Again, a software change has caused incorrect or unexpected behavior. cleared fog of war to wash out the lighting, making it very difficult to tell what a creature can currently see. Even bright light is almost indistinguishable. The cleared fog of war before the rewrite is demonstrably darker. Even in the AFoW announcement video , the cleared fog of war intensity is just distinguishable from dim light, and bright light is obviously different. What I really do not understand though, is why you sent me to support a 4-year-old suggestion for adjusting the intensity of global illumination . This bug deals with Advanced Fog of War. Both of these items are arguably incorrect or unexpected behavior that changed with the rewrite, but Roll20's position is that they are not bugs. That leaves that Roll20 intended for AFoW to make  directional lighting irrelevant when AFoW is on and for AFoW to make Dynamic Lighting indistinguishable within cleared fog of war. Is that really the case?
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Also, this didn't get announced in this thread, but Steve K announced they are rolling back a portion of this most recent update (regarding the concealing of controlled tokens) here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7512080/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7512080/</a> &nbsp;Full text below Steve K. &nbsp;said: Hi everyone, On June 4th,&nbsp; we rolled out a fix &nbsp;for Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War concealing tokens you control. Our solution was to make tokens you control appear on top of other elements on the token layer so you’d never lose them behind darkness or under other elements. While this solution works for the majority of cases, our users let us know about a variety of creative use cases that this change would make either more difficult or not possible. We understand that this fix had effects reaching beyond its original scope. At this time, we are taking action to roll back this update to restore the previous functionality from Monday June 3. This will return some incorrect functionality from Advanced Fog of War (tokens being concealed) that was present before the update. We are looking to provide a more complete and robust fix that does not affect other aspects of the play experience. We will update you on a timeframe within the next week as we solidify our resolution. Our sincerest apologies for the trouble, and thank you for your efforts in alerting us to the difficulties caused by this update.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Loren the GM said: Also, this didn't get announced in this thread, but Steve K announced they are rolling back a portion of this most recent update (regarding the concealing of controlled tokens) here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7512080/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7512080/</a> &nbsp;Full text below Thanks for cross-posting this. It is an encouraging decision on Roll20's part.
Cavni
Forum Champion
As some of you have noticed, we rolled back one of the changes that affected Advanced Fog of War! You can read more about it here . Because the change created unintended effects, we're taking it back into the workshop. We'll have an updated timeframe next week as we look at ways to fix the concealed tokens issue while preserving other use cases that interact with token layering.

Edited 1559923977
Stryxin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Advanced Fog of War is not cleared by External Light Sources! So it's not revealing what the Players can actually see, making the whole feature unusable... Can we actually please get some official word on this? as Ben L. pointed out, it seems like you are completely ignoring this functionality and dont even want to acknowledge that its not working at all as intended, how it was working before the "break all the things" update. Demonstration of the Problem... Scene is setup like this: Campfire on the left&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Player on the right (No darkvision,just a little bit of light so he can see his token and immediate surroundings) Player's Point of view: (so far so good, Dynamic Lighting working as expected...) Player moves behind the wall, AFoW should be cleared around the campfire for him right?? Since he clearly saw that part of the map? But It's an External light source (not attached to his token) so It doesnt get revealed at all and PC is completely in the dark now... DM view: &nbsp; &nbsp; Player's view: Another example, 4 Players, Paladin in front with a Torch illuminating the path for the rest... Torch get's doused... All of the players should have the same area revealed right? since they can all see it clearly? NOPE... Only the Paladin that was Carrying the torch has a correct AFoW revealed because it was his light source... Paladin PoV &nbsp; Other Players: So please, some official statement regarding this functionality?? Thank you...
Jay R. said: Arthur V. said: Ok, with this new update I managed to make it work.&nbsp; Some points: To make both the AFoW and Dynamic Light work at the same time, I had to set a Reveal Distance in the players tokens. If I let it without any number the whole map was revealed. When I chose a distance, like 100 ft, even if the player only had light that revealed 60 ft, the 40 ft beyond it was revealed in gray. In the same way as the area already revealed by the player that their token don't currently see. If I set the Reveal Distance &nbsp;as 0, the token started to see the map as I intended, only revealing what the lights for the token should reveal, and keeping revealed, but in gray, what the player already seen .&nbsp; Is this the intended way to work? A question for the part in bold italics: are you saying that with the update, AFoW now reveals everything for a token according to all light sources that said token is within range of (say, another token's torch, when the initial token doesn't have a light source)? If so, that would be hugely welcome news, as it would be in line with Roll20's behavior prior to Jan. 29. Yes, I tested with all my players token, with different types of light sources, 2 with darkvision (emitted light that only they could see), one with a torch (light that all tokens could see) and one without any light source. I forgot to test the vision of the one without light source, but the other two types worked pretty well after I set their Reveal Distance to 0.
Stryxin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Arthur V. said: Jay R. said: Arthur V. said: Ok, with this new update I managed to make it work.&nbsp; Some points: To make both the AFoW and Dynamic Light work at the same time, I had to set a Reveal Distance in the players tokens. If I let it without any number the whole map was revealed. When I chose a distance, like 100 ft, even if the player only had light that revealed 60 ft, the 40 ft beyond it was revealed in gray. In the same way as the area already revealed by the player that their token don't currently see. If I set the Reveal Distance &nbsp;as 0, the token started to see the map as I intended, only revealing what the lights for the token should reveal, and keeping revealed, but in gray, what the player already seen .&nbsp; Is this the intended way to work? A question for the part in bold italics: are you saying that with the update, AFoW now reveals everything for a token according to all light sources that said token is within range of (say, another token's torch, when the initial token doesn't have a light source)? If so, that would be hugely welcome news, as it would be in line with Roll20's behavior prior to Jan. 29. Yes, I tested with all my players token, with different types of light sources, 2 with darkvision (emitted light that only they could see), one with a torch (light that all tokens could see) and one without any light source. I forgot to test the vision of the one without light source, but the other two types worked pretty well after I set their Reveal Distance to 0. I tested this myself, and sorry but its not working as you are describing at all... Reveal Distance set to 0 just makes the tokens to reveal nothing at all for AFoW...&nbsp; Proof: Paladin has a torch, Reveal Distance set to 0 as you suggest...&nbsp; Torch gets doused: Reveal distance set to 0 makes it so he cant reveal anything in AFoW...