Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition by Roll20 (Q4Y2019-Q1Y2020)

I have seen Spanish translation errors, many skills are in English, how can I report them?
Any word on the implementation of bonus/penalty dice? This is a Really Big Deal. They come up in almost every combat. (Or am we all missing something as to where they are?)

Edited 1586250881
Also would like to know about bonus/penalty dice. I wanted to check if anyone has got impale working with an extreme success? I was helping my players set up character sheets and one of them has a weapon which impales. I wanted to add the impale damage, but on rolling for extreme success I can't seem to get the damage to add? I'm not sure this is an issue as it seems there is some logic there for it to use the Impale damage... but perhaps I haven't added it correctly? Finally wanted to report a couple of very minor issues (one might be feature request? Not sure the automatic dodge calculation leads me to believe its an issue): Kalenova said: Sheet Issue Description of issue : The Additional Skills seems to be broken. Every time that I try to create additional skill no only it doesn't show at all after butting off the edit mode. And when it does show up correctly after reloading the page, it refuses to let it self to be rolled in the dice roller.   Also all the other new skills I try to add disappears as soon as click something else, like trying to put skill value to said skill.     This also seems to happen for Fighting and Firearms: Languages (Own) - Not auto updating on filling in Education Description of issue :  Languages (Own) is supposed to be the Education Score. It seems this defaults to 50 regardless of what the Education Score is. Screenshots: Critical Failure appears twice Description of issue :  When a Critical Failure happens the statement "CRITICAL FAILURE" appears twice. Screenshots: Critical Failure appears on any roll above 95 Description of issue :  When a skill is below 50, the critical failure chance is >95. But when it is above 50 the failure chance is >99. A roll of 98 for example should only be a normal failure if the skill is 75. See screenshot for example. Screenshots: Malfunction is mandatory and a value of "-" breaks the dice roller Description of issue :  Melee weapons don't malfunction typically (but they use the base skill with normal fumble rule-set). However it seems that Malfunction is somewhat mandatory. Not filled in it defaults to 96 and using 0 results in constant critical fails (as expected) and "-" seems to break the roller into rolling 1s all the time. I know this is due to the formula for the calculation as it is expecting a score to compare with and when one is non existent it breaks the dice roll Screenshots:
where on the character sheet is the option for bonus and penalty dice?? i am sure this use to be here, or maybe it wasn't the official Roll20 sheet i used before. but would very much like to know how to do this???
David
Sheet Author
Scott L. said: where on the character sheet is the option for bonus and penalty dice?? i am sure this use to be here, or maybe it wasn't the official Roll20 sheet i used before. but would very much like to know how to do this??? Look further up the thread. It was reported 2 weeks ago.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello all- Apologies for the delay. There is a Bonus/Penalty Dice fix in testing currently, and it should be ready for release soon. I'm reaching out to those who have volunteered as Translators to continue the process. Thanks!
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the update! I know these are difficult times; we appreciate the work you are doing.
1) Additional skills descriptions don't appear when you roll them 2) No penalty\bonus die toggle to be found on a charsheet. This is a glaring flaw that makes the charsheet almost unusable. 
Clicking on "unarmed combat" under the combat tab consistently generates a result of 1.
Any update coming this week to repair the bonus/penalty die issue?
There was an update pushed today for bonus/penalty die, but isn't working....again
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Good afternoon, all. There was an update to the Call of Cthulhu 7e Character Sheet with the following updates: Roll templates now include Bonus and Penalty Dice Click the "Bonus / Penalty" at the bottom of the roll results You'll be given an option for the number of dice and rolling for Bonus or Penalty Impale Values on Weapons Graceful error handling for Damage values (including homebrew content like alpha characters, inline rolls, and other input)
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Vass said: There was an update pushed today for bonus/penalty die, but isn't working....again Hey Vass- Can you let me know what's not working for you? Thanks.
Kenton, The bonus/penalty dice work ok (it's definitely better than not having the function at all), but there is one actual problem with the implementation and one preference that I have. The problem is that I don't think the "Number of Dice" input is actually doing anything. When I enter 2 in the "Number of Dice" box, the system only rolls one additional die, and it seems to do so however many dice I choose. In the "nice to have" category, it would be really nice to have a function that parsed whether the die was a bonus or penalty, remembered the initial roll, and then displayed your final result, rather than simply displaying the other 10s die and having the player/GM manually calculate the result. I do recognize that it might not be possible to store the initial value without using the API, but it would be a good quality of life improvement to make. Just my $.02; thanks for the hard work on the sheet.
Actually, never mind the broken comment (concerning the number of dice rolled). I didn't notice that the rolls are all done, and only the single appropriate result is displayed. I stand by the calculation comment, though.
I mean...is it supposed to roll just the extra amount of bonus/penalty dice? Because that's what it does now. What it should do is give me the new result. Kind of like the other character sheet does it. Otherwise, what's the point? I could roll an extra d10 myself and do it manually which is pretty much what's happening here.
In the weapons section under damage, is there a way to put “+db” to indicate at a glance that there is damage bonus for that weapon? Right now if I add that to the damage, roll20 will only handle the actual dice and won’t calculate damage bonus not any +x value associated with the roll, unless I am doing this wrong. If this is not yet possible it would be nice to have. If I do not add “+db” and check the damage bonus, it seems to do everything correctly.
Another nice to have cosmetic, would be to have the default values listed with the skills (like on the old sheet. I think it helps newer players see which skills of theirs are strong and helps them see how much their character has improved over time.
Sorry for the spam, but another thing I noticed.  When rolling weapons for a blunt object, if you get an extreme/critical success the damage calculated does not auto calculate the max damage that you would get (max roll + max db). impale is also still not quite right. Sure it spits out the impala damage from the extreme success (max roll + max db), but in the additional roll for additional damage it still is rolling the damage bonus (which is already taken care of in the impale value you enter).
Vass said: I mean...is it supposed to roll just the extra amount of bonus/penalty dice? Because that's what it does now. What it should do is give me the new result. Kind of like the other character sheet does it. Otherwise, what's the point? I could roll an extra d10 myself and do it manually which is pretty much what's happening here. +1 on this. Right now it's just like rolling a d10, but more spammy.
Hello everyone, My sheet is mixing a lot of words when I want to use the Portuguese translation but the GitHub file is fine. Check the image for example: Does anyone know how to solve it? Curtis R. said: Also would like to know about bonus/penalty dice. I wanted to check if anyone has got impale working with an extreme success? I was helping my players set up character sheets and one of them has a weapon which impales. I wanted to add the impale damage, but on rolling for extreme success I can't seem to get the damage to add? I'm not sure this is an issue as it seems there is some logic there for it to use the Impale damage... but perhaps I haven't added it correctly? Also, I need to select which option I want to roll (success, hard or extreme, verbose). Does anyone know how to make this output that shows all the limits and the type of success like the one that Curtis R. showed in the print screen above? I've never used a roll20 character sheet so sorry if I'm doing dumb questions. Thank you for all the helps guys!
Hi Leomelati, In regards to: Leomelati. said: Curtis R. said: Also would like to know about bonus/penalty dice. I wanted to check if anyone has got impale working with an extreme success? I was helping my players set up character sheets and one of them has a weapon which impales. I wanted to add the impale damage, but on rolling for extreme success I can't seem to get the damage to add? I'm not sure this is an issue as it seems there is some logic there for it to use the Impale damage... but perhaps I haven't added it correctly? Also, I need to select which option I want to roll (success, hard or extreme, verbose). Does anyone know how to make this output that shows all the limits and the type of success like the one that Curtis R. showed in the print screen above? I've never used a roll20 character sheet so sorry if I'm doing dumb questions. Thank you for all the helps guys! You can change this by clicking Verbose in the roll options at the top of the sheet (listed at as opções de rolagem for yourself). This should list all the limits. I recommend my players to use Verbose as they use the optional rule to spend luck and makes it a little bit easier for them to know how much they need to spend for each success level! For Roll20 Devs, In regards to the new features added. I haven't had a chance to play with them with my players, but I can't say I'm impressed with the bonus or penalty dice feature in my between session planning. Appreciate its probably quite tricky to work out but I can't help but feel that it is a little confusing for players. We play with the 5e Roll20 Sheet also, and that has far better feedback when rolling advantage/disadvantage (with the side by side comparison). I guess I was expecting the "roll bonus/penalty die" feature to be a little more seamless. I.e. you click "bonus", it rolls another d10, adds the digit of the last roll to the end of the new roll and shows you the new roll with a banner saying in green saying "Lower" or red saying "Higher" (vice versa for penalty). Or at the least if you are going to ask how many dice to roll - showing that in a table with all dice roll, just to feedback that x number of dice actually rolled. Imho, if the Keeper/Player has to do some comparison, they may as well do all of it. Understand that the dice roller doesn't allow that by default, but was hoping with it being a Roll20 Development that you could pull the last number via JavaScript. I think with the current standard - I'd prefer it did a basic "/roll" command as at least the same roll in a "/roll" would show the number of dice being rolled independently via the Roll20 default interface. I just think feedback is key and the current bonus/penalty dice doesn't facilitate that feedback satisfactorily. It feels like I enter a number of dice and it spits out a single random number between 0-9, not really explaining that its already found the lowest/highest out of the number of dice you've entered. Let alone it doesn't explain that you still have to compare the original roll to the new roll also! Was a little confusing for someone who understand dice commands and CoC, let alone someone who doesn't. Also I would argue that to consider Roll20 as a method to play CoC especially in the current era of social distancing, clear and concise bonus and penalty dice shown in a method new players (especially new Keepers) can understand is quite vital. I am very much glad I was able to Keeper in person before Quarantine as I can understand these nuances, but a new player won't and might very well give up on CoC. Hope some of these suggestions helped, I feel the character sheet is really strong and a great start - and in some ways with some changes could be a fantastic tool for face to face CoC - but some parts of this feel really clunky - and it might be some of the quirks of the CoC 7e rulesets. I feel some of these suggestions might be improved with a quick discussion with someone (perhaps a group of people) who has/have played CoC alot, in campaigns and various settings. As at the moment - it feels like its been developed by a team who has quickly scanned the rulebook for 1920's only. Notably the extremely verbose Spell's list, which in CoC is not a priority at all. Its a fantastic spell list with really nice additions and actually a great way of storing them. But I would estimate a very small number of players touch that spell list. Ever. I don't plan on handing a player a spell until I want the group to essentially nuke their-selves out of mind bending fear. Mid-End of campaign stuff. But yet the everyday skills feel a bit cheap in comparison, which is bad as that's very much the bread and butter of CoC. The fact I am stuck with predominantly 1920's skills isn't great as a Modern Keeper - especially if the quite popular skill, in my setting at least, Computer Use is "Additional Skill 1". Sorry for the rant at the end - guess I'm just passionate about a good CoC experience on roll20! Best Regards Curtis
Vass said: I mean...is it supposed to roll just the extra amount of bonus/penalty dice? Because that's what it does now. What it should do is give me the new result. Kind of like the other character sheet does it. Otherwise, what's the point? I could roll an extra d10 myself and do it manually which is pretty much what's happening here. Yea, the bonus/penalty function is just a slapped on dice roller. it doesn't do anything.
I'm unsure about how to use the NPC sheet on this; if I have a soldier carrying a rifle and a pistol, both will disappear as soon as I hit "NPC Toggle," and there doesn't seem to be any convenient space to fill out weaponry. 
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
The NPC sheet has places to add attacks ( here ), but it has less space for information about guns. It only has name, target, and damage, and doesn't include spaces for range, attacks, and ammo.
Personally I find the community-made character sheet far superior to the Roll20 one. I use it for all my games.
The only reason I switched to the Roll20 one is the Whisper to Keeper functionality, I use it all the time for NPCs.
Just to echo  Curtis R's excellent post, as a newbie to Roll20 and this character sheet I did not find the current bonus/penalty implementation intuitive at all. It took me a good 30 mins of googling to work exactly what it was doing and whether it was working 'correctly'. I can explain this to my players now, but it would have been rotten to stumble over it mid-game. Logically what I expected to find was a bonus/penalty option up by the rest of the Roll Options on the character sheet. I appreciate this may be difficult to implement, or on a long list of 'To Do' items. Most people seem to agree that this is a fundamental part of the system though. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind the ordering of Skills, (Climb is under Art/Craft but Swim is under Science?). I would prefer this to be alphabetical by default. Lastly, (and this is as much as a vaguery of the system rather the sheet), the introductory adventure The Lightless Beacon makes reference to the Know Roll, (this is a straight EDU check). Know isn't a skill but as a new player I would probably expect it to be listed with them. Keeper: Make a Know roll Player: I can't find Know anywhere on the sheet? Keeper: It's just an EDU roll Player: So why not just sa- Keeper: Silence!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Andrew S. said: Just to echo  Curtis R's excellent post, as a newbie to Roll20 and this character sheet I did not find the current bonus/penalty implementation intuitive at all. It took me a good 30 mins of googling to work exactly what it was doing and whether it was working 'correctly'. I can explain this to my players now, but it would have been rotten to stumble over it mid-game. Yeah, one of the issues here is that Roll20 never wrote any documentation for this sheet, while they have done so for other sheets.
Andreas J. said: Yeah, one of the issues here is that Roll20 never wrote any documentation for this sheet, while they have done so for other sheets. Agreed. I don't like the other CoC sheet as much, (by Chaosium?), but the documentation meant I could quickly work out how the weirder elements of it worked. I don't mind the bonus/penalty function in this one being clunky or a stopgap, but at least make it easy to find out how to use it.
So I'm having trouble deleting unused Firearms, Fighting, and Additional skills entries on the character sheet. Am I missing something?

Edited 1591997202
Hi to all. I edited this post after understanding that the bonus/penalty implementation in the character sheet works perfectly. So now my post is only about the use of the impale damage, which seems to be always 0 disregarding if it is a handgun or not. Is there a way to "activate" it? So to say, a way to indicate that a weapon can have impale damage? Many thanks, folks. Cthulhu be with you. Again. :)

Edited 1591992323
David
Sheet Author
Andrew S. said: Andreas J. said: Yeah, one of the issues here is that Roll20 never wrote any documentation for this sheet, while they have done so for other sheets. Agreed. I don't like the other CoC sheet as much, (by Chaosium?), but the documentation meant I could quickly work out how the weirder elements of it worked. I don't mind the bonus/penalty function in this one being clunky or a stopgap, but at least make it easy to find out how to use it. If you are talking about having no documentation regarding the sheet below there is information about the sheet in the game details page right underneath the dropdown that selects the sheet.
David said: I f you are talking about having no documentation regarding the sheet below there is information about the sheet in the game details page right underneath the dropdown that selects the sheet. Apologies if unclear, we were referring to the lack of documentation for the Roll20 7th Ed. sheet, (the dark green one); the community version, (grey), does indeed have documentation and it is most useful.
Any chance that you guys are working on the Roll20 7th ed. Call of Cthulhu sheet not displaying additional skills in the chat log as anything but "Additonal Skill 1-3" no matter how you edit the character sheet? We're running Horror on the Orient Express and I'm excited for my players to experience such thrilling skills as "Thrash Serf", "Punish", and "Ignore Simon".
Is this character sheet still actively being worked on? There are a number of issues with it still and a TON of improvements that it needs before I would use it for my games.
Kavini
Roll20 Production Team
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hi All, Wanted to drop a quick update here, and respond to some queries. But firstly, an apology: communication with regards to the CoC7e sheet has been very sporadic, and I take full responsibility for that. I will be making a concerted effort going forward to be more responsive to questions, queries, and suggestions.  Queries Vass - This sheet is very much still being actively worked on. I would absolutely welcome any advice concerning the improvements that you feel the sheet needs. Jacob - The very next update to this sheet will address the skill name display bug, and correct some of the translation issues that have arisen with this sheet. To answer your earlier query, some of the skills on the sheet have to be fixed, so that they can be used to fill the skill selects for Weapons and Attacks, they can be customized, but not removed. Andreas and Andrew - User documentation has been submitted for review, and will be hopefully be added shortly! This first round will cover the PC sheet, but a future addition will cover the NPC sheet, too. Chris H. - This is an element of the sheet known to be problematic, and will be addressed in a forthcoming update. Curtis - Thank you for your excellent feedback on this sheet, it's very much appreciated. I will address Bonus / Penalty dice in their own section below, but will respond to the rest of your comments here: I acknowledge that the play experience for Modern players suffers in comparison with those who play in the 1920s, and there will be updates to address this. I do want to say that some of the functionality of the sheet (notably the spells section, but others too) are designed in order that they can support future features, which is why some areas of the sheet appear to have a disproportionate amount of effort applied. Bonus / Penalty Dice I understand that this is a huge component of the Call of Cthulhu game experience, and that the current implementation is lacking. That said, as things currently are, there is no perfect implementation to be had. The dice roller in Roll20, as I'm sure many of you are aware, is unable to pass values back to the sheet, and so we're unable to take an existing dice roll and modify it.  That said, I have been doing some research and experimentation in this area to see how we can improve this experience. I don't want to discuss this too much right now for fear over over promising, but my hope is that I can at the very least give players a variety of imperfect options to choose from that suits their game best. As with everything on this sheet, I am very open to hearing suggestions and advice.

Edited 1593313981
David
Sheet Author
Bonus / Penalty Dice I understand that this is a huge component of the Call of Cthulhu game experience, and that the current implementation is lacking. That said, as things currently are, there is no perfect implementation to be had. The dice roller in Roll20, as I'm sure many of you are aware, is unable to pass values back to the sheet, and so we're unable to take an existing dice roll and modify it.  That said, I have been doing some research and experimentation in this area to see how we can improve this experience. I don't want to discuss this too much right now for fear over over promising, but my hope is that I can at the very least give players a variety of imperfect options to choose from that suits their game best. As with everything on this sheet, I am very open to hearing suggestions and advice. The community sheet has a solution even with inconsistency in the digit dice. Most people I have played CoC with have never noticed the inconsistency and it saves a lot of time as it does not require pushing a button, possibly multiple times,  to roll a die and then  leave you to do the rest of the math yourself. Another (untested)  solution could be something like [[((Xd10k?1-1)*10+(1d10)-1)+1]] where X is the number of penalty/bonus dice and k? is kh or kl depending on bonus/penalty dice. The number of  bonus/penalty would need to be set before the roll.  The downside of this is 3d dice and people wanting to see the results of all the tens dice in the roll template. 
Not a suggestion really, but as an illustration of thinking outside the box regarding bonus and penalty dice, I've been experimenting with rollable tables. The problem, of course, is that I can't link them to the sheet skill roll (even if I knew how). Ideally a selector dumps the results into the chat wrapped in the template or the tabletop as a image; the caveat being the tabletop elements that wouldn't react like 3d dice.
The way the community sheet handles Bonus/Penalty dies is very useful, actually. By showing the required results on view, sometimes players can be informed, for example, about instances in which they could use their Luck score to push a roll from a normal success to a Hard one without too much investment.
Kavini
Roll20 Production Team
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hey All, Dropping in quickly to post a few progress updates. I experimented with a vast array of options over the last few days and thought I'd chime in and solicit some feedback. As I said before, I think that the best way to implement this is to give people the choice of different imperfect options, and so here are the ones that I came up with that seemed to succeed on some level: Default This is the roller as it is now, there haven't been any outward changes, but there has been a little revision of the way that these rolls are handled by the rolltemplate. Combined This is the suggestion that David gave above. It queries users whether they are rolling a standard check, asks for a number of dice, and then keeps the highest or lowest roll. Roll 3 Dice This style of roll is actually rolling 3d10 and then combining them to emulate bonus/penalty dice. (Note: this is missing the 'target' field. It's still a WiP c:) Multiple This works identically to 'Roll 3 Dice', except it allows users, at the point of rolling, to select between 1 and 5 checks to be rolled. Community This is David's other suggestion. It just rolls 3d100. (Again, missing the target, forgive me!) As I said, this is all still a WiP, and there are still more features I want to test and implement, but this will require much more work to achieve and I felt it was important that CoC players know that we're still working on this sheet and want to get it right! Very happy to hear any feedback you might have on these ideas. Thanks for reading!
To me, the "Combination" method seems simplest, most visually pleasant and consistent, and remains closest to the published rules.
I think what we need is for the option to roll 1 or 2 bonus/penalty dice, then display all rolls to the player alongside the success that was achieved.
I like the “Community” one. As other users have said, I wouldn't stress too much about the single unit digit. I'd love to save clicks, however: currently, clicking Bonus/Penalty opens a Confirm alert that then you need to type and click again. If clicking Bonus/Penalty would already roll three I think that'd be ok. I believe that 3 is the max. in Cthulhu 7e. P.S. Love that all the tests are done with “Accounting”. I know it's the first skill on the list, but I find it very funny :D
Add my vote (for whatever that is worth) for the Combination method described above for bonus/penalty rolls. Also, why is it that NPCs have a macro for Dodge rolls, but PCs don't?
HI all.  So about to start first CoC campaign on here.  Looking at these last posts, my dice rolls are not showing the Hard/Extreme  Also question about levelling up - can the sheet deal with this?  Other Roll20 games I've played do leveling but I can't see how that's possible here? Thanks!
Kavini
Roll20 Production Team
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hi Andrew, If you want to see all of the difficulties in a single roll, you need to select 'Verbose' from the menu at the top left of the sheet. Currently, this sheet doesn't contain any features for 'leveling up', such that it is in Call of Cthulhu, but the sheet can be manually edited to reflect character's improvement.
Thanks Nic!
Please forgive me if this has been covered before but how can I as a GM create NPC and monster sheets as shown in D&D and other systems? I am annoyed having to use the PC sheet as it is too much detail.

Edited 1594920015
Matthew H. said: Please forgive me if this has been covered before but how can I as a GM create NPC and monster sheets as shown in D&D and other systems? I am annoyed having to use the PC sheet as it is too much detail. This I can answer. Under the Hit Points/Sanity/Magic Points division, there are six buttons, the last of which is <SETTINGS>. Selecting that sub-page allows you to toggle several options, the first of which is an NPC Sheet.