Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[AD&D 1E] update

Edited 1611166050
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
Just a recommendation for the eventual monster stats block... obviously you will want a stat for hit points, and likely hit dice as well.  Perhaps make the "hit dice" clickable to actually generate the hit points realtime?  I used a sheetworker to do this in the past (overwrite the default value with the results of the button) but there might be better ways to do it. Also, I know "hit dice" are nominally given in terms of d8, but the reality is that Gygax violated that all the time e.g. kobolds, the various Men, etc.  I recommend allowing an arbitrary equation for hit point computation: kobolds are 1d4, Men are 1d6, most others are just Xd8 + Y but sometimes you get completely weird stuff like Cloud Giants which are "12+2-7" which is technically 12d8+1d6+1.  You'll probably also want to record separately the hit die number for reference (for when such and such spell doesn't affect creatures higher than a certain number of hit dice).  In some cases (golems) you don't even have hit dice supplied and have to compute them from hit points/4.5, but I can work that on the external stat database end. In short, while "8+2" is great shorthand for "8 eight-sided hit dice + 2 hit points", it doesn't really lend itself to algorithms we might want to run as part of a macro or template, so it might be helpful to include both a computational value and a "Monster Manual-grade" text value.  Maybe a text attribute called "hit dice" and a numeric/formula attribute called "hit point computation"? Also, don't know if you were planning to do monster XP values, but if you do, I'd request xp_base and xp_hpadder.  That way you could technically have the actual XP computed and varying with the actual hit points of the specific rolled monster.
Hello Vince, One small item. The "Spell Bonus" field under the WIS stat would usually have a maximum entry of "3/2/1/1" rather than a single digit. Can this field be made big enough to accommodate 7 characters?  cheers

Edited 1611196660
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
Okay, I have a code snippet which should work for spell import (and probably for weapons and equipment as well, but lets crawl before sprinting). You can put this among your sheetworkers: const powerimport = (section) => { getAttrs([`${section}import`], v => { newrowattrs = {}; multiweap = v[`${section}import`]; multiweaparray = multiweap.split("}"); multiweaparray.forEach ( (weap) => { let newrowid = generateRowID(); weaparray=weap.split("|"); weapobj = {}; weaparray.forEach( (item) => { var pair=item.split("^"); weapobj[pair[0]]=pair[1]; newrowattrs[`repeating_${section}_` + newrowid + `_${pair[0]}`] = weapobj[pair[0]]; }); }); setAttrs(newrowattrs); }); }; It demands there be a text attribute called [repeatingfieldname]import (in your sheet's case, "spellsimport") into which the user can paste something like this: spell_name^Cure Light Wounds|spell_level^1|spell_school^Necromantic|spell_range^Touch|spell_duration^Permanent|spell_aoe^Character touched|spell_components^V,S|spell_ct^5 segments|spell_save^None|spell_description^Upon laying his or her hand upon a creature, the cleric causes from 1 to 8 hit points of wound or other injury damage to the creature's body to be healed. This healing will not affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor will it cure wounds of creatures not living or those which can be harmed only by iron, silver, and/or magical weapons. Note that cured wounds are permanent only insofar as the creature does not sustain further damage.spell::spell_name^Cure Light Wounds|spell_level^1|spell_school^Necromantic|spell_range^Touch|spell_duration^Permanent|spell_aoe^Character touched|spell_components^V,S|spell_ct^5 segments|spell_save^None|spell_description^Upon laying his or her hand upon a creature, the cleric causes from 1 to 8 hit points of wound or other injury damage to the creature's body to be healed. This healing will not affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor will it cure wounds of creatures not living or those which can be harmed only by iron, silver, and/or magical weapons. Note that cured wounds are permanent only insofar as the creature does not sustain further damage. You call it in sheetworkers as powerimport("spells") as the response to a button press, such as: const configbuttonlist8 = ["spellimporter"]; configbuttonlist8.forEach(button => { on(`clicked:${button}`, function() { powerimport("spells"); }); }); Maybe put the import field and button in right before Spells Notes: </ div > </ div > </ div > </ fieldset > </ div > <div class="sheet-table-row"> <textarea spellcheck="false" placeholder="Paste spell details here" name="attr_spellsimport" value="" title="@{spellsimport}"></textarea> <button type="action" name="act_spellimporter" >Import Spells</button> </div> < div class =" sheet-table-row " style =" margin-top: 1em; " > < b style =" margin-left:20px; " > Spells Notes </ b > < input type =" checkbox " class =" sheet-sect-show " title =" @{spellsnotes-show} " name =" attr_spellsnotes-show " value =" 1 " style =" width: 140px; margin: 0 -20px 0 -115px; " /> < span > </ span > < div class =" sheet-table sheet-sect " > < div class =" sheet-table-row sheet-center sheet-sect " > < textarea name =" attr_spellsnotes " title =" @{spellsnotes} " placeholder =" Spells Notes " > </ textarea > </ div > </ div > </ div > The powerimport code shouldn't have to be modified to use it for weapons or equipment, you just have to change the calls to powerimport("weapon") and powerimport("equipment") and the input attributes to "weaponimport" and "equipmentimport".  A cleverer coder than I could likely come up with a way to have a single field which imported anything and everything, but that coder is not me. If you use the } character as a delimiter, this actually should import multiple spells at once, so you could technically assemble your spell list in some random Google Sheet somewhere and paste the whole thing into your character sheet at once: spell_name^Cure Light Wounds|spell_level^1|spell_school^Necromantic|spell_range^Touch|spell_duration^Permanent|spell_aoe^Character touched|spell_components^V,S|spell_ct^5 segments|spell_save^None|spell_description^Upon laying his or her hand upon a creature, the cleric causes from 1 to 8 hit points of wound or other injury damage to the creature's body to be healed. This healing will not affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor will it cure wounds of creatures not living or those which can be harmed only by iron, silver, and/or magical weapons. Note that cured wounds are permanent only insofar as the creature does not sustain further damage.}spell_name^Cause Light Wounds|spell_level^1|spell_school^Necromantic|spell_range^Touch|spell_duration^Permanent|spell_aoe^Character touched|spell_components^V,S|spell_ct^5 segments|spell_save^None|spell_description^Upon laying his or her hand upon a creature, the cleric causes from 1 to 8 hit points of damage, and if a person is avoiding this touch, a melee combat "to hit" die is rolled to determine if the cleric's hand strikes the opponent and causes such a wound. Note that caused wounds will heal -- or can be cured-- just as any normal injury will. I haven't tested the limitations of this... is there some finite number of characters beyond which this breaks?  Unknown.  But this should work for a simple importer, and if you end up preferring other delimiters besides "}", "|", and "^", I can change my Google sheet in seconds to match. "}" is probably not the best as a delimiter, as True Coders would find a way to write it such that you could import the macro-text fields as well... and that seems a bit daunting.  Ya gotta draw the line somewhere, and that's where it is for me.  You're welcome to any of this code, or none of it.  I'm making my not-compendium to match this format for now, and will change it in the future if you select something else.  Thanks again for taking this on!
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
Chris A. said: Hello Vince, One small item. The "Spell Bonus" field under the WIS stat would usually have a maximum entry of "3/2/1/1" rather than a single digit. Can this field be made big enough to accommodate 7 characters?  cheers Should it go even further, for Wisdom 19-25?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
@Archibael Good ideas on monster HD/HP.  Probably best to include static fields for HD and HP with an option (maybe an action button...that parses the HD formula entered) to auto-generate a new HP. Auto XP (base+hp); like it. Spell Import;  thank you for sharing the import code. Is it just me or does that snippet look like it was written for weapons? ;-) Curious, how did you go about formatting the standard PHB spell-block to match what you posted?  Method? Feel free to PM if you like... 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Chris A. said: Hello Vince, One small item. The "Spell Bonus" field under the WIS stat would usually have a maximum entry of "3/2/1/1" rather than a single digit. Can this field be made big enough to accommodate 7 characters?  cheers Yes and even wider for demi-gods with Wis 19-25. ;-P

Edited 1611285694
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
∇ince said: @Archibael Good ideas on monster HD/HP.  Probably best to include static fields for HD and HP with an option (maybe an action button...that parses the HD formula entered) to auto-generate a new HP. Auto XP (base+hp); like it. Spell Import;  thank you for sharing the import code. Is it just me or does that snippet look like it was written for weapons? ;-) Curious, how did you go about formatting the standard PHB spell-block to match what you posted?  Method? Feel free to PM if you like...  Google Sheet formulas.  Sent you details in PM.  
∇ince said: Probably a better option is to either create a " macro mule " character or a  chat menu . chat menu example (this macro uses the sheet's own save rolls/macros) ; /w @{selected|character_name} &{template:general} {{color=@{selected|color_option}}} {{name=@{selected|character_name}}} {{subtag=Saving Throws}}{{ [Paralysis/Poison/Death](~selected|saveparalysispoisondeath) [Petrification/Polymorph](~selected|savepetrificationpolymorph) [Rods/Staves/Wands](~selected|saverodsstaveswands) [Breath Weapons](~selected|savebreathweapons) [Spells](~selected|savespells) }} Thank you !!

Edited 1611596519
Ive not read through the entire thread but would it be possible to put in a box for Weapon Proficiencies and also for magical items carried.  The boxes we have for this information, ie the equipment section are really narrow and hard to read if there is a lot of information. Could make it the same as the special abilities section.  I would agree on losing the "cost" sections of the character sheet.

Edited 1611641315
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Tariff, adding weapon proficiency and including a section for magical items (or expanding upon the current repeating equipment to accommodate...) are on the suggestion list . I'm fine with removing the costs column... but I would like to go with the general consensus.  It's also possible to make it and optional feature.  
TBH I like the costs section in the equipment.... Archibael said: ∇ince said: @archibael No worries.  IMO, compendium alternatives/options are better suited for it's own thread and you'll probably capture a much broader audience. Making the suggestion to add an import method to the 1e sheet and discussing it are absolutely fine. ;-) Okay.  At this point I am designing the compendium-that-is-not-a-compendium as a Google document, with the standard Monster Manual stat block plus one more field, which I'll call here "description" but which will essentially be the text entry as written.  I will also include the optional stats as seen in unique deity-type entities like Cat Lord, etc.  I don't know how you'll want to handle those, but we can figure it out. Spells will be the standard PHB fields.  Magic items will be the text description, XP, and GP value; I could include other things, too, like magic bonus for weapons, but I'm not sure how to make that clean-- we'll table that for now. I'll be going quiet now, but,  ∇ince , do let me know when/if you decide what you want your monster format to look like.  You can do it all on your own, but if you want to partner, I will make the time to help-- honestly, if you don't I'm just going to do it anyway for my own campaign... might as well share with the rest of the class!  ;) EDIT: I lied.  I'm also putting in THAC0 and saving throws, as well as average hit points for quick drag-and-drop convenience.  I have fond memories of DMG pg. 75 and 79, and my copy of the book falls naturally open to that section after years of use, but if I'm running a combat, having that stuff already ready for use is going to be critical.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Erik O. said: TBH I like the costs section in the equipment.... I think an option to toggle the Costs column from view is a nice compromise.  Should be able to work that in without it disrupting the sheet's layout.
Def much better compromise!  ∇ince said: Erik O. said: TBH I like the costs section in the equipment.... I think an option to toggle the Costs column from view is a nice compromise.  Should be able to work that in without it disrupting the sheet's layout.
I have no doubt you are super busy, but do you have some sort of timeline/ schedule for making changes or addition? Anything you see as bigger priorities than other items? Not to rush you but to u derstand if I shoukd try to find workarounds such as using the character sheet for monsters amd npcs now.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Erik O. said: I have no doubt you are super busy, but do you have some sort of timeline/ schedule for making changes or addition? Anything you see as bigger priorities than other items? Not to rush you but to u derstand if I shoukd try to find workarounds such as using the character sheet for monsters amd npcs now. I would like to go ahead and push the new repeating attribute code ASAP.  It's been mentioned here a while back... and I included it as a new sheet announcement last month. There's one minor issue I still need to look at.(One of the roll template keys is being duplicated during the migration routine. Doesn't break anything, but it shouldn't happen.) The migration from the old repeating attribute names to the new ones should happen automatically, but there will be some collateral damage for people using custom macros which will need to be manually updated to match the new repeating name schema.  Any on-sheet custom macro-text that has issues(no attribute found error) can be manually edited or simply cleared/reset which will re-populate the field with to the new default macro-text. Once the shock of new attribute names have worn off, I'll probably tackle some layout issues first,(changing the sheet to css grid and flexbox, adding some additional attributes that have been requested, adding navigational tabs including a Monster tab) I know there's been talk here about an import feature for monsters, spells, and equipment... but that will probably wait until I have finished introducing any new attributes as well as striking a balance between static vs auto-calculated attributes on the sheet.  Archibael has produced some working examples already, so I'm hopeful this can be worked into the sheet seamlessly for anyone that wishes to take advantage a text/json based import method.  That said, I have a tendency to cherry pick suggestions from the list as I start making changes, so there's no guarantee as to what may get introduced next.  I'll be sure to update this thread and the beta game so people can see the progress, test, make suggestions, discuss, etc. Long story short, I don't have a definitive timeline but I'm excited to get moving on this after the migration update is live. ;-) 
I would love it if the background color toggle could include an option for "goldenrod", like the AD&D sheets use to look:
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
GM Jeremy said: I would love it if the background color toggle could include an option for "goldenrod", like the AD&D sheets use to look: I like it.  That brings back memories. ;-) I'll add that to the list Jeremy.
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
GM Jeremy said: I would love it if the background color toggle could include an option for "goldenrod", like the AD&D sheets use to look: That is the BEST!
Love it. I still have a blank sheet or two around here somewhere. I look forward to this update and all of the others. Great work that is much appreciated. GM Jeremy said: I would love it if the background color toggle could include an option for "goldenrod", like the AD&D sheets use to look:
Ditto Jeff P. said: Love it. I still have a blank sheet or two around here somewhere. I look forward to this update and all of the others. Great work that is much appreciated. GM Jeremy said: I would love it if the background color toggle could include an option for "goldenrod", like the AD&D sheets use to look:
And of course an orange option for the upcoming NPC sheet!
Has the topic of initiative been discussed?  We discovered that the current sheet has dexterity applied to the initiative roll.  My tattered old DMG (received from TSR on 19 Dec 1979, according to my notes on the inside cover) does not mention any of this on pp 61, 62 and just indicates a straight out opposed roll for most circumstances.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Tim M said: Has the topic of initiative been discussed?&nbsp; We discovered that the current sheet has dexterity applied to the initiative roll.&nbsp; My tattered old DMG (received from TSR on 19 Dec 1979, according to my notes on the inside cover) does not mention any of this on pp 61, 62 and just indicates a straight out opposed roll for most circumstances. Hi Tim, looks like your DMG needs an upgrade to it's AC. ;-P Initiative has been discussed a few times in this thread already. (IMO, roll20's search is a pain at best...); IMO, RAW 1e initiative is somewhat complex/confusing and is often modified to fit a groups needs/playing style. Here's a great reference document that specifically focuses on 1e initiative (I'm sure many of you are probably already familiar with it. via the&nbsp; Dragonsfoot &nbsp;site.) ADDICT:&nbsp; <a href="http://knights-n-knaves.com/dmprata/ADDICT.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://knights-n-knaves.com/dmprata/ADDICT.pdf</a> &nbsp; 1. Using ADDICT as a guide, I will try and keep initiative on the sheet as open as possible to allow for flexibility.&nbsp; Part of my plan is to expose the macro-text of most of the sheet's rolls, including initiative.&nbsp; This will allow individuals to change the roll's macro to fit your own style/homebrew.&nbsp; Thinking out load; I might be able to make this a sheet setting that you can be changed from the "Game Settings" page.&nbsp; This would allow the change to be applied as the new default for all sheets.&nbsp; I'll need to investigate that possibility.&nbsp; "...current sheet has dexterity applied to the initiative roll." 2. Agree that it shouldn't be applied to every individual's roll, but, like so many of 1e's rule nuances, "The Dexterity Attacking adjustment is added to (or subtracted from) the initiative roll for each missile-firing combatant on an individual basis." (p64 DMG) So, that should probably be changed to an additional query to handle those specific circumstances. 3. Many have requested that token's automatically get added to the turn tracker.&nbsp; Since initiative is often rolled by grouping this can be problematic.&nbsp; I will probably include adding to the tracker since a group can simply ignore the tracker or adjust it as needed.
∇ince said: 2. Agree that it shouldn't be applied to every individual's roll, but, like so many of 1e's rule nuances, "The Dexterity Attacking adjustment is added to (or subtracted from) the initiative roll for each missile-firing combatant on an individual basis." (p64 DMG) So, that should probably be changed to an additional query to handle those specific circumstances. Arrgh, missed that!&nbsp; :)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My brain hurts... Yes, It's long overdue for an armour upgrade, though the binding was horrendously bad to start with. :)&nbsp;&nbsp; I've been meaning to use some wide scotch tape. &nbsp;
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
That reference document is insane and a delight.&nbsp; Thanks for posting it!
Archibael said: That reference document is insane and a delight.&nbsp; Thanks for posting it! Agreed. After reading that last year I realized that I'd never really played AD&amp;D RAW and probably never will. Unfortunately, I'd already launched a Roll20.net AD&amp;D game and had to set about re-creating a whole new set of house rules to handle things that the RAW either didn't or didn't do to my liking.
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
Rob S. said: Agreed. After reading that last year I realized that I'd never really played AD&amp;D RAW and probably never will. Unfortunately, I'd already launched a Roll20.net AD&amp;D game and had to set about re-creating a whole new set of house rules to handle things that the RAW either didn't or didn't do to my liking. To be fair, Gygax never played AD&amp;D RAW either.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; A lot of the rules were thrown together because someone asked for a rule for something; in most cases, I understand, he would just wing it like the rest of us did. That said, when it comes to weird rules requiring lots of computation, Roll20 (and other VTTs, to be fair) makes it all somewhat reasonable by taking the computations out of the way and, with a little preparation, by burying some of the more obscure rules behind macros or other code.&nbsp; Ignoring the true wonderfulness of gathering around a tabletop, I'm finding that Roll20 makes some of the more-challenging, rules heavy games more viable in this day and age than they were in their heyday!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Your asset link is giving me a Not Found error
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It looks like your link has some copyrighted stuff in it. You might want to trim that out or remove the link anyway - roll20 will come down hard on sharing that kind of thing, and you may get banned and lose your pro level.&nbsp;
If you are referring to the direct ADDICT link above, the following could be substituted: ADDICT V2.2 PDF (English &amp; French)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chris A. said: If you are referring to the direct ADDICT link above, the following could be substituted: ADDICT V2.2 PDF (English &amp; French) No, I was referring to a link that has since been deleted.&nbsp;

Edited 1615416795
Archibael
Pro
Sheet Author
I do indeed use token actions that way.&nbsp; I use generic token action macros like "Attack-Melee-1" and "Attack-Melee-2" with generic pointers to the first and second weapons on the list so it defaults to the most common weapons/attacks, and then I have those macros made default so they show up on every monster/NPC.&nbsp; Then if I have a monster with a claw/claw/bite routine and I haven't prepared specialized macros for it in advance, I just hit Attack-Melee-1 twice and Attack-Melee-2 once and I get two claws and one bite.&nbsp; Similarly I have the saving throw token actions point at the saving throw rolls so I don't have to open character sheets to find them every time some upstart wizard chucks out a fireball. Obviously, if you have prep time it's better to generate each token action in a custom way.&nbsp; For dragging in a random wandering monster I find the generic token actions to be pretty helpful, though.