Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Updated Dynamic Lighting - Feedback Thread

Wow- glad to know that I'm not the only one having serious issues with UDL. They got worse today. When I enable UDL, it pretty much crashes every other tool and ability to do anything and then doesn't work either. Switching to LDL doesn't fix it or make it work either. I've been trouble-shooting this for a while on my computer and another computer under a different account from a completely different game. Logging out and back in resets it, but then the same thing happens again when either of the DL are enabled. All of the maps and token disappear and you can't load anything new onto the map either, it just disappears. No ability to select a map layer either, etc. etc. Seriously, I've been using these tools a long time and am not inexperienced. I understand bugs and had found some work arounds for those as this all got worked out, but this makes it all unusable. 
I am so tired of this dumpster fire. Every game I play, DL is broken in a different way. You would think the staff would have learned their lesson about rolling out half-baked features with the comms debacle a while back. Nope. Here we are again. Same mistakes, same excuses. With the comms, after months of 'We are working on it we promise' and many ruined game sessions, I gave up and started using Discord. Now with broken DL and months of 'We are working on it we promise' and many ruined game sessions... I have lost all confidence in Roll20 and all my good faith and hope that they will improve is gone.  
Tonight I'll be playing Rime of the Frostmaiden by Roll20, and the DM has elected to try the new dynamic lightning. After catching up on the forum posts just now I think this should be a fascinating experiment! 
Been using the updated dynamic lighting for a campaign for months and prior to now only had issues with unsupported browsers on the player end. Today however, a map which was functioning as expected last session simply did not work despite no changes being made. With dynamic lighting enabled players whose tokens had darkvision AND access to light sources still saw only a black screen with their token. I was able to resolve the issue by copying and pasting each element of the map to a new page individually, when copied all at once the issue replicated itself. Very confused and somewhat frustrated, but happy to have a functioning map again
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Daniel P. said: Running into a weird issue that another player told me is a bug. When playing with Explorer mode it seems all players have a shared greyscale area on the map. My understanding is that this is not the intended functionality, but since I just started used UDL I don't really have context.  I have attached a screenshot of what I am seeing to this ticket. In this case the token I have control of is the duck, another player has control of the token that is the man. I do not have any control over the man token. The duck has never been in a position that would allow it to see the chair that is behind the DL wall, but can see it in greyscale because the other token has had it in its line of sight.  I am not able to find any documentation on how this particular part of the system is explicitly supposed to behave, but from reading the forum and talking to other players it sounds like this is a bug. For things like dungeons where the players are separated this is pretty detrimental to the puzzle aspect of the game.  Are you in this game as a player or as a GM? If you can see extra gray areas as a GM with Ctrl+L, I think that is a known bug. If you are a player, or another player is getting extra explored area because of a different player exploring that area, I think that might be a new bug.
Brian C. said: Are you in this game as a player or as a GM? If you can see extra gray areas as a GM with Ctrl+L, I think that is a known bug. If you are a player, or another player is getting extra explored area because of a different player exploring that area, I think that might be a new bug. I am the GM, but all of the players are all saying that they see the extra explored area, even when only one token is one the map for a single player. That particular screenshot is with be using the "re-join as a player" feature, but is exactly what the players describe as seeing when logged into the game.
TheWebCoder said: Tonight I'll be playing Rime of the Frostmaiden by Roll20, and the DM has elected to try the new dynamic lightning. After catching up on the forum posts just now I think this should be a fascinating experiment!  I must admit the experience was better, but still not solid enough to switch over IMO. I'm starting to see the potential of the feature. What does work is an improvement on the older version. I bet by like Q2 / Q3 of 2021 I'll be switching over. Keep at it, Roll20! Getting there!

Edited 1609163126
Question to my fellow GMs- is this even close to usable just yet?  I'm thinking it's not.  I am still using legacy lighting.
Erica said: Question to my fellow GMs- is this even close to usable just yet?  I'm thinking it's not.  I am still using legacy lighting. I just played in a game with it last night, and as a DM I would not switch over yet. It's getting there though. When the feature first rolled out it was a completely broken pre-alpha that shouldn't have been released. Now it's at a solid beta. This is the version which should have gone out on the test servers to perfect. I'd give Roll20 like 3-6 months more of bug fixes and performance enhancements for it to be totally reliable. However, if you enjoy beta testing it would also be okay to switch over, and your feedback could help the developers improve the feature.
TheWebCoder said: Erica said: Question to my fellow GMs- is this even close to usable just yet?  I'm thinking it's not.  I am still using legacy lighting. I just played in a game with it last night, and as a DM I would not switch over yet. It's getting there though. When the feature first rolled out it was a completely broken pre-alpha that shouldn't have been released. Now it's at a solid beta. This is the version which should have gone out on the test servers to perfect. I'd give Roll20 like 3-6 months more of bug fixes and performance enhancements for it to be totally reliable. However, if you enjoy beta testing it would also be okay to switch over, and your feedback could help the developers improve the feature. Thank you Web Coder- this is promising to hear. I could not decipher what exactly is going on from all of these posts.  Ok, for now I'll just stick with legacy and I hope legacy is staying around for a while.

Edited 1609165229
Erica said: Question to my fellow GMs- is this even close to usable just yet?  I'm thinking it's not.  I am still using legacy lighting. The tool has a big performance problem, and some issues. It´s not usable yet, but if you compare with october version, actual its quite better. As coder said, if they continue working on performance (in low spec PC most) it going to be ready soon
I had the problems over the weekend that others have described above. I saved my Sunday game by switching the one map we were on back to legacy - which was hard because I am relatively new here and had never used legacy, but my very experienced players guided me through it. I hope that these issues can be resolved. Worst thing that happened was total map reveal to the players in the middle of the games (two different games, different campaigns, different modules). My good wishes and thoughts to the devs and the hope that DL can become what it can be in 2021!
It would be really helpful if there was a way to convert individual pages to UDL. I have a huge campaign (Curse of Strahd) with tons of pages, maps, and tokens. I don't want to run the conversion on the full game in case something breaks, an update causes issues, or one of my players starts to struggle with performance on larger maps. But I'd love to be able to easily duplicate a page and convert it to UDL, run that map, etc. while still having the legacy version to go back to if there are problems.
Ryan C. said: It would be really helpful if there was a way to convert individual pages to UDL. I have a huge campaign (Curse of Strahd) with tons of pages, maps, and tokens. I don't want to run the conversion on the full game in case something breaks, an update causes issues, or one of my players starts to struggle with performance on larger maps. But I'd love to be able to easily duplicate a page and convert it to UDL, run that map, etc. while still having the legacy version to go back to if there are problems. You can do it, just duplicate de page, go to page settings of your copy, and activate there
I've been using the UDL in all of my games since last summer, when I bought the Pro-subscription. I have zero pages setup with the Legacy-lightning. The UDL have been running rather smoothly for me until 22.12.2020, when it was completely down. The announced hotfix and resetting the darkness helped, and I already thought that the issue was solved and back to normal. However, in the session today the performance was so bad that I had to turn off the UDL completely so that we could even play the game.
I ran a game last night (December 28th, 2020) and I found that the UDL was causing items on the GM layer to disappear making it hard for me to see my monsters and room numbers. I would hope this will get fixed ASAP! It is also doing a strange thing where it removes part of the grid. IDK but it needs an ASAP fix.

Edited 1609281307
Hi Tyler, also had the same problem where darkvision was obliterating the map (inc GM info) where it overlapped with other areas of darkvision.  Tried altering tint to transparent etc, all to no avail.  Exited, ran UDL conversion again for just that map (to be safe, but it worked, so have now re-applied to all) and then went back in and all was fine again. Still have tints set to transparent so not sure if that is fixed yet, but at least I can see grid and maps again.  BW Simon.  Only 2nd time I have posted to forum and have already replied once, not sure if there is a delay in replies being shown so this may show as a duplication : ))

Edited 1609269212
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
So I finally had a chance to test the latest update and now understand what everyone means by things just being black. GM view is in Chrome on the left, and player view is in Firefox on the right. <a href="https://youtu.be/xziCzlcdp_M" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/xziCzlcdp_M</a> Loading into the page seemed to trigger the issue. Moving the player ribbon into the page seemed to trigger the issue. Refreshing the browser seemed to clear things up, but performance was so slow, like the video I posted in the dev thread. The lag causes the vision to skip over areas, which means there is tearing in the fog of war. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_p-7A-t9I" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_p-7A-t9I</a> Here is a point where UDL did not update what was visible after the token was dropped, and it left the player token able to see around a corner. And the menu option for explorer mode disappeared. Refreshing brought it back.

Edited 1609260863
Hello, we are playing a Odysse of the Dragonlord campaign. I converted the maps to dynamic light and checked every page if it worked. It did. Than we started on 22.12 to play and nothing worked properly anymore for the players: 1. Not the lines of polymorphic lightsine were used but the whole square. The token could not move through the square and it was not deletable. 2. Tokens with only lightsource are not working anymore, i.e. torches 3. Sometimes tokens could not see each other 4. Daylight mode does not work Turned it off/on - recreated Tokens, it seems to work now First we thought it was just a connection problem, as on the 22.12 everyone lost connection to the servers once in a while. Today, 29.12 I checked it again and the mess is still there. I tried the following things, that did not work: 1. Copy the map and redraw the lines 2. Convert the map again 3. Recreate tokens 4. Tried legacy lighting (it did not work at all) 5. Tried every tick on every box on dynamic lighting Only thing that worked was completly shutting dynamic lighting off. Any help would be appreciated.
This changes the settings for the page lighting, but not for the sometimes dozens of tokens already on the page (such as in Ravenloft). Changing every one of those tokens manually is extraordinarily tedious and time-consuming. Hector G. said: Ryan C. said: It would be really helpful if there was a way to convert individual pages to UDL. I have a huge campaign (Curse of Strahd) with tons of pages, maps, and tokens. I don't want to run the conversion on the full game in case something breaks, an update causes issues, or one of my players starts to struggle with performance on larger maps. But I'd love to be able to easily duplicate a page and convert it to UDL, run that map, etc. while still having the legacy version to go back to if there are problems. You can do it, just duplicate de page, go to page settings of your copy, and activate there
Yesterday I tried this in a medium/high spec PC (32 RAM - SSD - i5 - 8g video card) and all work fine, so now I understand why somepeople cheer the functionality while others were suffering it. In a 8G RAM - HD - i5 - 4g video card its incredibly laggy, and this is a office standard PC. Yeah, for someones the spec i mentioned seems poorly, but you can not make this service for gamers pc, some of my players have a small notebook because they dont use one in theirs daily task and they dont play videogames, they just get one to role play in the platform.
" Objects on GM Layer disappear when tokens with Night Vision overlap them." I'm still having this issue. I can't see any of my GM layer info if my players are anywhere near it. Note the X and T4 disappearing from inside the tower, and the T3 reappearing in the second image.

Edited 1609350056
Is this applied to existing games? Or do I need to enable it somehow? I ran Rime on Monday of this week (12/28) and it was still nearly unusable on Chrome and moderately bad on Firefox - heavy lagging moving the map view or moving tokens around. I have Explorer mode enabled and 6 players. This is on a high end gaming system. Katie Mae said: Hello there, This update is to let everyone know that the Explorer Mode Optimizations that were previously on the DEV server are now live on the VTT for everyone!&nbsp; This rollout also includes a fix for lighting issues that occurred when rotating a group of tokens. We’ll continue to monitor this thread for feedback as this update deploys. Here’s a recap of the issues that this optimization addressed: Explorer mode rendering and resource management Performance on specific hardware configurations (i.e. integrated graphics cards) Visual artifacts such as: Distorted duplicates appearing Pixel dust Corner revealing/black diagonal on maps Reports of&nbsp; memory spikes and/or high memory usage Explorer mode responsiveness GM View of a token’s revealed area not updating until token is dropped GM using Ctrl+L Nightvision appearing on tokens not controlled by the player Spinning a Group of Tokens the light cone is off-center What this update does NOT address: Jagged lines in Updated Dynamic Lighting API Additions Smoothing paths left by tokens traversing the map &nbsp; Thank you for all the feedback that made this possible, and Happy Rollvember!
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Brian C. said: So I finally had a chance to test the latest update and now understand what everyone means by things just being black. GM view is in Chrome on the left, and player view is in Firefox on the right. <a href="https://youtu.be/xziCzlcdp_M" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/xziCzlcdp_M</a> Loading into the page seemed to trigger the issue. Moving the player ribbon into the page seemed to trigger the issue. Refreshing the browser seemed to clear things up, but performance was so slow, like the video I posted in the dev thread. The lag causes the vision to skip over areas, which means there is tearing in the fog of war. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_p-7A-t9I" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_p-7A-t9I</a> Here is a point where UDL did not update what was visible after the token was dropped, and it left the player token able to see around a corner. And the menu option for explorer mode disappeared. Refreshing brought it back. A quick test with the December 30 update. The good Performance is somewhat improved. Tokens are at least controllable now. The bad There is still enough lag that moving a token across an opening leaves tears where the token never sees. Moving a token very slowly gives UDL time to realize that the token should have been able to see that area, clearing fog of war correctly. The ugly There is a lag of at least a second when first picking up a token to move it. It feels like the system has to switch into an update mode. The updates to what a token can see as it is moved are highly distracting. In LDL, a moving token smoothly updates what it can see (and what is hidden) as it moves. Previously in UDL, a moving token would continuously add to the area it could see, and it would hide all the obstructed areas after it was dropped (check first video in quoted text). Now, the obstructed area is hidden every five seconds or so causing jumps in the visible area.

Edited 1609434515
Katie Mae🔮
Roll20 Team
Hello everyone,&nbsp; This is a small UDL update at the end of the year! We're still collecting feedback from this thread, so thank you to all who have been posting here. If you saw our Release Notes For December 30th , this will look familiar! We've made some updates that aimed to solve the following issues:&nbsp; Lighting not properly updating when barriers are being changed.&nbsp; Night Vision not consistently updating reveals for some users.&nbsp; Tokens on GM layers being covered by Night Vision.&nbsp; Issues with lighting lines caused by too many lighting tokens.&nbsp; I'll see you all in 2021 with more updates! Thank you again for your feedback and contributions.&nbsp;
OK, I am now officially known as Thicky Mc Thick Face, what a moron!!&nbsp; When I tested the UDL and commented earlier I had daylight ON for that map, so could see grid.&nbsp; If I turn daylight OFF then there is still the improvement in as much that as GM I can see the GM layer tokens now, which wasn't the case before, but where night vision overlaps between characters it does mask the grid. I have tried increasing opacity, but that changed nothing. One of my players, who runs 2 PCs in this campaign has confirmed she sees the same masking of the grid.&nbsp; Have I missed something to restore the grid?&nbsp; I have tried going in to game settings and re-running the UDL converter.
Simon G. said: OK, I am now officially known as Thicky Mc Thick Face, what a moron!!&nbsp; When I tested the UDL and commented earlier I had daylight ON for that map, so could see grid.&nbsp; If I turn daylight OFF then there is still the improvement in as much that as GM I can see the GM layer tokens now, which wasn't the case before, but where night vision overlaps between characters it does mask the grid. I have tried increasing opacity, but that changed nothing. One of my players, who runs 2 PCs in this campaign has confirmed she sees the same masking of the grid.&nbsp; Have I missed something to restore the grid?&nbsp; I have tried going in to game settings and re-running the UDL converter. It appears you are using the VTT Enchancement Suite add-on. Be sure you are using the latest version, released Dec 22. It seems that when ever R20 releases an update to fix these types of issues, the VTTES has to be updated again to be compatible.
When updating a game of mine to UDL recently (1/1/21)&nbsp; my tokens lost their directional light settings.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, I am not noticing a difference between Bright/Low light emission.&nbsp; A token with the Bright/Low values set to 10/0 emits light that looks the same as set to 0/10.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Is there a trick to getting updated dynamic lighting to work when doing "Re-Join as Player"?&nbsp; I'm running a campaign for my kids, where we are all in the same room and I open another browser window on the TV and use "Re-Join as Player" to show a map for everyone in the room.&nbsp; With UDL and explorer mode turned on, moving tokens around in my GM window does make those areas get revealed on the player map, though they show up at about 50% opacity.&nbsp; However, I haven't been able to find anything I can do to make things like player tokens show up on that map. Here is what I see in the GM view: And in the player view, where I used re-join as player: In the page settings I have UDL and Explorer Mode enabled, all the tokens have Vision enabled and most of them have Night Vision also.&nbsp; The selected generic token is the one representing the GM, who not only has Vision enabled, but is also set to emit bright light for 50 feet, but despite glowing in the dark I still can't even see myself, much less anybody else..
Krothos said: Simon G. said: OK, I am now officially known as Thicky Mc Thick Face, what a moron!!&nbsp; When I tested the UDL and commented earlier I had daylight ON for that map, so could see grid.&nbsp; If I turn daylight OFF then there is still the improvement in as much that as GM I can see the GM layer tokens now, which wasn't the case before, but where night vision overlaps between characters it does mask the grid. I have tried increasing opacity, but that changed nothing. One of my players, who runs 2 PCs in this campaign has confirmed she sees the same masking of the grid.&nbsp; Have I missed something to restore the grid?&nbsp; I have tried going in to game settings and re-running the UDL converter. It appears you are using the VTT Enchancement Suite add-on. Be sure you are using the latest version, released Dec 22. It seems that when ever R20 releases an update to fix these types of issues, the VTTES has to be updated again to be compatible. Yeah, I currently have the VTTES disabled because of an error on load that is stopping my games from loading.&nbsp;
After Jay's reply, I decided to test the Night Vision and was able to reproduce the "disappearing grid" bug. This map has baked in grid but we can clearly see the black Roll20 grid disappear where the 2 PCs tokens with Night Vision merge their sight. At least the items on the GM layer are no longer being hidden.
The Light Multiplier isn't working for me. Tokens with a 200% Light Multiplier see the same radius from a light source as those with 100%. I did encounter a bug where I changed a token's radius to 50%, which worked correctly, and then changed it back to 100%. Afterwards, all tokens with a 100% Light Multiplier had vision equivalent to 200%. It did not re-occur when I tried to recreate it.

Edited 1609575702
Hello!&nbsp; I am sorry if this is redundant, but the forum is long and I am new to forums... I like the concept of UDL, but please fix some bugs!&nbsp; I submitted a report to the best of my ability.&nbsp; But I would like to add some pictures here too.&nbsp; I have several tokens that are grouped at the bottom of this map each emitting 10 ft of low light, but the light is inverted and moves when I scroll.&nbsp; I also have a stationary light source (not shown) that emits no light with the low light 0 ft set to "on", which should illuminate it and only it, but it doesn't show up.&nbsp; When I click on a token sometimes it briefly shows the correct lighting situation very briefly and then it disappears.&nbsp; As a player view, you can only see the tokens, no light, no map revealed.&nbsp; It took me a while to figure out UDL and get it working properly, so I am a bit beside myself now that I seem to understand the system well, but can't get it to function as I desire even though I know how to operate it well enough to get it functioning once.&nbsp; Please, help me resolve these issues!&nbsp; I love the concept of UDL thus far and I hope to see it become developed properly, but in practice it is proving to be unruly... I hope this helps and please let me know if there is a solution or if my input is at least helping to fix UDL's problems.&nbsp; Thanks

Edited 1609587834
Krothos said: Simon G. said: OK, I am now officially known as Thicky Mc Thick Face, what a moron!!&nbsp; When I tested the UDL and commented earlier I had daylight ON for that map, so could see grid.&nbsp; If I turn daylight OFF then there is still the improvement in as much that as GM I can see the GM layer tokens now, which wasn't the case before, but where night vision overlaps between characters it does mask the grid. I have tried increasing opacity, but that changed nothing. One of my players, who runs 2 PCs in this campaign has confirmed she sees the same masking of the grid.&nbsp; Have I missed something to restore the grid?&nbsp; I have tried going in to game settings and re-running the UDL converter. It appears you are using the VTT Enchancement Suite add-on. Be sure you are using the latest version, released Dec 22. It seems that when ever R20 releases an update to fix these types of issues, the VTTES has to be updated again to be compatible. Hi, I have checked, although have seen the various update announcements as I have logged in.&nbsp; Last update 24.12.20 1.15.36. Also logged in under Chrome, which has no VTTES and get same result
Seems like a pretty major oversight, but there seems to be practically no difference in between an object that emits low light and one that emits bright light. Is there something I'm missing here. Just purchased a module that has the lighting set up for UDL it's a pain to have to switch it back over to legacy manually.
Sebastian P. said: Seems like a pretty major oversight, but there seems to be practically no difference in between an object that emits low light and one that emits bright light. Is there something I'm missing here. Just purchased a module that has the lighting set up for UDL it's a pain to have to switch it back over to legacy manually. You aren't missing anything here. This is something I've submitted a few bug reports to R20 about the lack of differentiation between bright and dim light vision ever since they released UDL. Many updates to UDL and this still hasn't been addressed. As such, I just house-ruled that characters with low-light vision can see in dim light as if it were bright light with no doubling of sight range (playing PF1). Not sure if this is a Firefox-thing only, but I'm able to see a very fine line where bright light ends and dim light should begin. Knowing this has made it a bit easier to determine whether something is in bright or low light without counting squares.
Today, Explorer mode nearly worked.&nbsp; I had it setup with a party in level 2 of Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and it all looked correct for one character moving around the map.&nbsp; As soon as I moved a second character, though, all light sourced made the map visible even through walls.&nbsp; Resetting darkness does nothing.&nbsp; Toggling Explorer mode does not fix it.&nbsp; When explorer is on, lights reveal the map for everyone even through walls.
I now have Explorer mode working, I think.&nbsp; I did a few things, not sure which was the one that flipped it.&nbsp; First, I duplicated the map.&nbsp; That seemed to reset lighting in a way that Reset Darkness wouldn't.&nbsp; After that, I also deleted a token / character that was using a monster sheet as a player sheet, recreated the token, then reloaded the map.&nbsp; After reload, it appears to work.
Krothos said: Sebastian P. said: Seems like a pretty major oversight, but there seems to be practically no difference in between an object that emits low light and one that emits bright light. Is there something I'm missing here. Just purchased a module that has the lighting set up for UDL it's a pain to have to switch it back over to legacy manually. You aren't missing anything here. This is something I've submitted a few bug reports to R20 about the lack of differentiation between bright and dim light vision ever since they released UDL. Many updates to UDL and this still hasn't been addressed. As such, I just house-ruled that characters with low-light vision can see in dim light as if it were bright light with no doubling of sight range (playing PF1). Not sure if this is a Firefox-thing only, but I'm able to see a very fine line where bright light ends and dim light should begin. Knowing this has made it a bit easier to determine whether something is in bright or low light without counting squares. Yeah, this has been a problem with UDL for a long time. Roll20, if you are listening and reading, it's unacceptable that there is little to no differentiation between low light and bright light. PLEASE FIX.&nbsp;
Has anyone else been noticing a massive uptick in bugs with UDL lighting lately? For the past several weeks, it produces so many bugs for me as to be entirely unusable. I've had to go back through dozens of maps and change them back to legacy lighting just to make my game playable. The biggest issues seem to be around UDL not displaying borders in the correct place. For example, UDL will randomly place a wall in the middle of the room where no wall has ever been drawn, and there is no way to delete it. Or one player will see completely different lighting barriers than the rest of the players. Or I'll change something in the DL layer (for example, opening a door), and players will have to refresh Roll20 completely just to see the changes. In one case I had to delete a player's token entirely and re-add them before anyone could see lighting changes. I've even had instances where UDL turns off completely for one player, and they see the entire map! The list goes on and on, but the bottom line is that UDL just can't seem to figure out how to place borders and update them correctly in real-time for all players. I've also noticed that (as of this morning) I can't rotate objects that have been drawn (shapes, text, etc.) while UDL is turned on. I've tried this on multiple different computers, networks, games, accounts - the overwhelming tide of bugs is present regardless of how I access Roll20, and it seems to be getting worse by the day. I'm losing an average of 20-30 minutes per game session just trying to help players get past UDL issues, none of which exist in legacy lighting (which is why I'm now going through and reverting all my maps, but I'm afraid they're going to turn off legacy lighting and leave me with no further options). To me this whole debacle feels a lot like the classic developer need to fix something that isn't broken - Legacy Lighting worked great, and UDL does very little that you couldn't do already (from an end-user's perspective), but there are a ton of features that devs could be working on to improve quality of life (I'd value an ability to assign an elevation to objects, or the option to not have every spell attack in my spellbook show up in the attacks list, or an option move macros between games, or many, many other obvious deficiencies&nbsp; way more than an updated UI and broken algorithm for UDL). But I digress... If anyone on the development team reads this and wants to try to reproduce, it shouldn't be hard. Simply try to actually run a game with UDL, and it's bound to break - it does for me and all my players every time. But in terms of specifics, I typically run Chrome (generally, the most recent version), and all my games have the TokenMod API installed (which I use regularly with macros, whenever the docker container running the API engine hasn't crashed). I don't typically use Explorer Mode, but I typically have Update When Token Drop turned on, and I use Daylight Mode about 50% of the time. However, I've tried turning all of these settings on and off, and none of them seem to make a difference. I and all my players run Windows (typically 10, but at least one still runs Windows 7). One thing that might be worth investigating - I (and most of my players) have multiple monitors - anywhere from 2-4. I've noticed in the past that QA doesn't seem to fully vet features on multi-monitor systems. I'm a long time supporter of Roll20, and a very vocal one. I've been using this system since it's launch, and I've turned at least a dozen other users on to it. But the constant bugs lately have had me looking at other VTTs. I'm playing my first game in Foundry in a couple of weeks, and may move toward that system for future games if Roll20 can't get their act together. Very disappointing - I love the potential that Roll20 offers, and in the past it's been amazing. But increasingly lately, it seems like they're updating things all the time, and every update breaks something new, or makes something worse. In my game last night, for example, token markers and pings randomly became so small that you could barely even see them. It's a new bug every day - so many that I don't have time to report them all. I'd love to see this app get back to focusing on stability rather than constant changes to the underlying code that never seem to be fully vetted by QA. Please do better!
Howdy I am not sure if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it on the list of Know bugs, but the Drawn circle for dynamic lighting are not acting as walls and allowing light and players to pass though them as if they are not there. hope this helps
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Angel (DM) said: Howdy I am not sure if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it on the list of Know bugs, but the Drawn circle for dynamic lighting are not acting as walls and allowing light and players to pass though them as if they are not there. hope this helps Circles and freehand lines have never been recommended with either version of Dynamic Lighting. It is recommended to stick with segmented lines and polygons.
Angel (DM) said: Howdy I am not sure if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it on the list of Know bugs, but the Drawn circle for dynamic lighting are not acting as walls and allowing light and players to pass though them as if they are not there. hope this helps Yup, in Descent into Avernus which I purchased from Roll20 they use an "X" drawn with the polygon tool, in place of where circles would go.
Almost a year now since this "updated" lighting was blithely rolled out with big promises, and it still contains massive known bugs that Roll20 either doesn't care to fix or doesn't want to fix. Since it's hard for me to imagine that Roll20 actively wants to drive users away, the only alternative explanation, to me, is incompetence. Your dev team doesn't seem capable of putting out a solid, upgraded lighting system without game-breaking bugs and poor performance. Your customers don't care about technology limitations you only allude to cryptically after months of silence or gaslighting. Your customers don't care about other Roll20 priorities; after all, you chose to foist this "updated" system on us without warning or custom input. Your customers don't care about the potential of this system; if it can't currently do everything LDL did, it is functionally useless. Honestly, if it were me, I'd scrap this entire system, hire a couple of good developers with background in the area, put them in charge of developing a new lighting system, and only roll it out once you have something stable enough for true beta testing. Otherwise, you will continue to lose customers to other VTT platforms, and it will eventually affect your business.

Edited 1609776665
Possible workaround for those wanting some grid in their lives... I like the idea that night vision fades with distance and so have set all PCs to "Dimming" and with a start distance of 0ft.&nbsp; The end result with grid opacity at about 35% is as below. You can make the grid more visible by whacking up the opacity but I personally feel that then detracts from the map elsewhere as it takes over visually.&nbsp; As a GM, when all 3 PCs with night vision are together I still lose the grid, but no player in our campaign controls more than 2 PCs and so this is the worst case scenario for a player (2 tokens above Wist).&nbsp; If the tokens are not adjacent then it is even better.&nbsp; Forgive me if this was obvious to you, but shared knowledge is seldom a negative.&nbsp; Here is my result, which you can compare to the earlier screenshot above:

Edited 1609804422
Why is it not on the issues list that low-light does not work as intended? It's still basically impossible to create a reasonable moonlit map, because if you increase the radius of a dim light token to e.g. 100ft, it makes the light equivalent to bright light due to this silly gradient effect they try to achieve. Not only does this ruin any kind of dim light immersion, it also makes it impossible for players to see the range of their own torches and lanterns with bright light mechanically! It's also worth noting that light often extends 5-10ft further than its intended radius, but i'm sure that's been mentioned before.
Recently joined pro and have been experimenting with UDL, and all things said it's worked pretty well so far but a little while ago something went wrong. I stop seeing the option to switch between permanent/explorable darkness, which in turn has kinda just ruined it. It acts like regular FoW now, hoping to get a simple fix, was giving me some cool ideas for some stuff. Thanks ahead of time.
While I think there's a lot of cool ideas with the new lighting, I'm regretting switching to it.&nbsp; This last week has been particularly bad as several of my dungeons have just suddenly become visible as if the dynamic lighting walls just weren't there.&nbsp; So the warlock with the 120ft sight distance was basically able to see all my secret doors, traps, and the monsters I had put down.&nbsp; At other times, my players report suddenly just not being able to see.&nbsp; I've found replacing the tokens and refreshing and/or resetting the lighting sometimes fixes this, but the damage has already been done.&nbsp; I'm not sure if these bugs are common, but I figured I'd add my experience to the pile.&nbsp; I actually use roll20 a lot as I run 7 paid weekly games a week, so I've seen this happen quite a bit.&nbsp; I'm not sure about repro steps since it doesn't seem to happen with all my maps, but some of the older ones combined with tokens that were left on a map from the previous week's game seems to trigger it more often than my newer maps or token freshly pulled on.
Main frustration on my part is that Explorer Mode was working fine for me about a month ago. Roll20 should really just revert to their old version until they've fixed the bugs. Last session Explorer Mode was mostly working for me, but as the GM I could not see the difference between what PCs could currently see and what was only revealed via explorer mode, and I had the "washed-out" effect of unseen explorer mode area over the entire revealed area. As far as I can tell the problems seem to have started when explorer mode was updated to share revealed area between PCs.