Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Updated Dynamic Lighting - Feedback Thread

Mine currently isn't working at all including on maps I have already had it set up on? Is anyone else having this issue? 
Hi there, I’m playing with UDL for a Module that I’m creating. I have two issues right now. 1) I cannot seem to create a light source with &gt;20’ radius of light. If I try to use a value for the token that is higher than 20 ft, it seems to clip the light to a 20’ radius. The screenshot below shows the positions of my lights (the black dot with orange glows around them) and my walls/doors. 2) I have a door that the token cannot see through when it’s close to the door. The token has vision but no darkvision. As I move the token further south on the map, I see past that northern most door. See the video in the Dropbox link to see what I mean. The door that I’m talking about is the one 10’ to the token’s left in the screenshot. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/klau5qj1iyp9lsq/RPReplay_Final1610133102.mov?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/klau5qj1iyp9lsq/RPReplay_Final1610133102.mov?dl=0</a>

Edited 1610192550
Hi DonK, what settings do you have for dynamic lighting?&nbsp; I have it set up for torches in a catacomb map, 20' bright, 20' dim, daylight off and the result is as below, if you look closely you can see a pecked line at the boundary between bright and dim. This is GM view obvs, so can see past dynamic lighting barriers the token view is as below, it even picks up some light on the LHS from a torch behind the wall
Andy H.
Pro
API Scripter
My maps that I have the 'new' dynamic lighting on are quite dark where the light is present. In the attached screenshot, there is a light source by the stairs with 45' bright and 60' low light present But it's still incredibly dark Any ideas on what else I should change to increase the contrast between lit and unlit areas? This is a DM view, btw.
Hi Andy Long shot, but what about page settings and background colour?&nbsp; DM opacity? (mine is 35%)
Andy H.
Pro
API Scripter
Simon G. said: Hi Andy Long shot, but what about page settings and background colour?&nbsp; DM opacity? (mine is 35%) Thanks for trying to help, Simon... So I'm running Firefox on a Windows machine The perspective is DM on the Objects &amp; Tokens view the DM opacity was quite high - like 76% Now, if I do lower the DM opacity, it looks fine in terms of luminance. Yet, I wanted to make sure it was going to look ok for players when they are in the same view and I was hoping DM opacity did not affect the parts that could be seen.&nbsp; &nbsp;When I dropped out Bright Light &nbsp;and only used Low Light , it didn't look any different. I just was trying to get an idea for how everything would look for players from a DM view.
I'm still running into the missing grid with dynamic + explorer + darkvision, but we got through a whole session with the feature working.&nbsp; It's super nice when it works.

Edited 1610240389
Hi Andy Ctrl+L to have a quick check as DM-see some of my screen shots above, but use settings and log back in as a player to get the best idea. Soz if that is obvious.&nbsp; My players see everything as it should be except if they control 2+ PCs with night vision and they are near each other, when the grid disappears. Wasn't always like that with UDL and hope it is fixed again soon, I can get the effect I want with Legacy but would rather stick with UDL as it should be the way forward.&nbsp; As DM I get that problem whenever two or more darkvision PCs come close, but I have a pretty good idea of the grid and to be fair, I think that levels the playing field a bit in terms of guessing range. Personal pref only. Also running Firefox and Windows
I’m having issues with the grid disappearing when players are near each other. I tried running Dungeon of the Mad Mage with UDL but it wasn’t usable with the grid disappearing so we swapped back to legacy. Thank you.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
DonK said: Hi there, I’m playing with UDL for a Module that I’m creating. I have two issues right now. 1) I cannot seem to create a light source with &gt;20’ radius of light. If I try to use a value for the token that is higher than 20 ft, it seems to clip the light to a 20’ radius. The screenshot below shows the positions of my lights (the black dot with orange glows around them) and my walls/doors. 2) I have a door that the token cannot see through when it’s close to the door. The token has vision but no darkvision. As I move the token further south on the map, I see past that northern most door. See the video in the Dropbox link to see what I mean. The door that I’m talking about is the one 10’ to the token’s left in the screenshot. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/klau5qj1iyp9lsq/RPReplay_Final1610133102.mov?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/klau5qj1iyp9lsq/RPReplay_Final1610133102.mov?dl=0</a> Could you post images of the page and token's lighting settings? If the map above shows the doors correctly, and the doors are closed, then the token should not be able to see through as it moves by. When you say you are creating a module, is this for the Roll20 marketplace?
Brian C. said: Could you post images of the page and token's lighting settings? If the map above shows the doors correctly, and the doors are closed, then the token should not be able to see through as it moves by. When you say you are creating a module, is this for the Roll20 marketplace? I bought Saltmarsh digitally and am trying to adapt it to Roll20 to see if it can be done. Here are three screenshots that show what’s going on. If I make my lightsource 20’, everything seems to work fine. It doesn’t matter if it’s bright light, dim light or a mix of the two. As I increase the radius past 20’, the illuminated area doesn’t seem to increase it’s radius. If I make the radius of the light larger than 28’, the illumination totally dissapears. Above you can see my bright and low light are both set to 10’ radius. In Roll20, you can see a dim black circle between the bright and low light. Above you can see that I’ve set the bright light to an 18’ radius and left the low light at a 10’ radius. The circle of illumination on the map seems like it’s still showing a 20’ radius and not the current 28’ radius. The dim black circle between the bright and low light does seem to be at the 18’ radius mark, though. In this last image (above), I’ve set bright light to 20’ and low to 10’ and you can see the illumination on the map layer has completely vanished.&nbsp;
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I don't know, that looks like its just broken. You can try to get a player token in there to jump start the lighting again, but it seems like a bug. I would recommend using LDL for your actual game.
My group is getting a "bullseye" effect around many, but not all, light sources. Dragging the light source fixes it, but reloading the page brings it back. It looks like this: &nbsp; Is this a known issue? This is the first time we've tried to use UDL and it still seems to be pretty broken.&nbsp;

Edited 1610355294
Hi Aaron What are your settings for those light sources?&nbsp; I haven't used Legacy much but IIRC UDL is different in as much that you specify how far you want bright light to go and then the dim light radius, which starts from where the bright ends.&nbsp; The system then specifies overall light radius, whereas in Legacy I think you specify overall light radius and then put in how much of that is dim?&nbsp; I can't think why else yours seems to shed bright, then dim and then return to bright if you only have the bright and dim buttons active and no multiplier in advanced.&nbsp; Are the legacy tabs clear of all data?

Edited 1610384900
I finally tried out the new dynamic lighting and have to say that the result has me very concerned for the future. Below you can see two images, both displaying what the selected token can see with his darkvision (nightvision) of 60ft. The left image is with updated dynamic lighting, the right one is legacy, used on a map meant to represent an ominous swamp at night: . &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Updated dynamic lighting &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Legacy dynamic lighting &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; As you can tell, the legacy variant is darker and gloomy, and the dim light sources coming from the yellowish firebugs/swamp lights don't have a jarring, clear circle like in the new dynamic light version. This map is meant to contain no light outside the firebugs flying around the swamp, so characters had to rely on torches or their darkvision (nightvision). The campaign is Curse of Strahd, one that i believe relies heavily on atmosphere and correct lighting. The light variant used for the glowing bugs used in the new dynamic lighting was low light 5ft radius, and legacy used settings for dim light for the entire 5ft radius (5ft, -5ft in the two boxes, the -5 means that dim light starts immediately). The updated dynamic lighting has no options to further lower the light level, on the contrary, it adds more light to everything and removes smooth edges for background light sources, making it look unnatural and jarring. As it stands, in my opinion of course, the legacy version far outranks the new lighting in atmosphere and quality. I urge you to once again look at the two pictures and comment on which better represents a character using only darkvision in a gloomy, dark, and foggy swamp with firebugs dancing around murky, still waters. Here is one more comparison: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Legacy &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Updated&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; P.S &nbsp;Wish us luck on completing Curse of Srahd before legacy goes away :D
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Issue posted by another user in a separate thread : Dungeon Baker said: Hi When using Dynamic Lighting and having set up a page with polygons in the DL layer, if I switch on DL AND Explorer Mode in the Page Settings, this crashes DL on the page. Example: I switch both on and upon returning to the map, I move a token and see the lighting function working OK - however, once placed, the token DL will then no longer function. Resetting darkness does not fix. This fault does not appear on older mapping, only on maps created in the last week or two. This fault does not appear if DL is on and Explorer Mode is off. This fault DOES appear in both Chrome AND Firefox in exactly the same way. Hardware acceleration is ON. Please advise, thank you.
Perhaps I'm not understanding how Fog of War is supposed to be working, but I can't imagine it's supposed to work this way. I have a map. It's a map of a city street. It's a map of a city street in Elturel, so there is fire.&nbsp; I have DL on, Explorer Mode on, Daylight Mode off, and Update on Drop on. With these settings, any area covered by the radius of the tokens I'm using to represent fire, which ranges from 40' to 60', has no fog of war. As soon as a player's token is set down, they can see every area with light. The only Dynamic Light bounding box on the map is the one that goes around the actual map. I am checking this with a dummy account, because I don't trust Ctrl-L or Rejoin as Player. Sure, I can turn Explorer Mode off and hide everything that should be hidden by fog on the GM Layer, but that's a clunky way of doing this.

Edited 1610494732
Matt J. said: Perhaps I'm not understanding how Fog of War is supposed to be working, but I can't imagine it's supposed to work this way. I have a map. It's a map of a city street. It's a map of a city street in Elturel, so there is fire.&nbsp; I have DL on, Explorer Mode on, Daylight Mode off, and Update on Drop on. With these settings, any area covered by the radius of the tokens I'm using to represent fire, which ranges from 40' to 60', has no fog of war. As soon as a player's token is set down, they can see every area with light. The only Dynamic Light bounding box on the map is the one that goes around the actual map. I am checking this with a dummy account, because I don't trust Ctrl-L or Rejoin as Player. Sure, I can turn Explorer Mode off and hide everything that should be hidden by fog on the GM Layer, but that's a clunky way of doing this. If you don't have any walls on your map, then it is correct that if you have tokens set so that all tokens can see the light, then all tokens will see that light. If you want walls of fire that block line of sight, then you will have to manually add the corresponding light blocking lines to the dynamic lighting layer for those walls of fire.
I am not a GM, but everyone else in my party does not have issues with dynamic lighting. But I am only able to use it in chrome - but it puts a large burden on my older laptop (2012 MacBook Pro). Is there a known fix for FireFox on Mac? The black floats when I scroll so I am only ever able to see that weird shape. Mac - FireFox v84.0.2
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Following on from Marko L.'s excellent example, I have put together a dim light comparison of my own. LDL -&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/2TBuKoxmjN4" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/2TBuKoxmjN4</a> UDL -&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/5LUDIZWf0EQ" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/5LUDIZWf0EQ</a> This map represents a dock on a moonlit night. There are 3 street lamps giving off dim light, and another token simulates the moonlight over the entire map. It does that by casting dim light over 300 feet. The LDL map handles this well. The areas around the street lamps are brightly lit, and the rest of the map is still visible. In contrast, the UDL map looks like it is daytime. In UDL, dim light starts bright and then fades to dark the further you get to the edge of the light's area. When the dim light is cast over a large area, a large portion of that area is bright &nbsp;light. At the end of the UDL video, I put up a DL wall so that the player's token can see on both sides of the wall. This creates an area where you can compare the "dim" light cast over a large area with the dim light from a "smaller" light.
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I tried to give UDL another try after the v 1.0 was recently announced. While all settings on page and tokens were correct, half of the players could not see their tokens (while using the recommended browsers). So PLEASE: don't disable the "legacy" version. It's what keeps my games going. If you kill it, you kill the experience!
roll20 — January 14, 2021 A new year brings change, and in that spirit, we’re announcing the first major update to our Updated Dynamic Lighting system with Update 1.0, now live on Roll20. Last spring, we debuted Updated Dynamic Lighting to our Pro and Plus users. An entirely new system for allowing our players to control the lighting in their games, Updated Dynamic Lighting was developed from the ground up to replace Legacy Lighting once we knew that Legacy Lighting had reached its limit to accommodate user requests. This new system uses WebGL, a JavaScript API for rendering graphics in compatible web browsers, without the use of a plug-in. It also allows us to do things Legacy Lighting could not do, like adding different types of vision with their own color and filter effects and a more intuitive way of creating opaque darkness, and overall, it lays a better foundation for us to add many of the user requested features and enhancements going forward.&nbsp; The launch of this new system was a step in the right direction, but we stumbled along the way. There were bugs and sluggishness we didn’t anticipate in our initial launch. We apologize for those problems and their impact on your play time, and appreciate the feedback that has helped us deliver an improved version of Updated Dynamic Lighting today. We hope this update shows we’re committed to listening to feedback and working continuously to give you the best experience possible. To give you a more thorough accounting, here’s some of the issues we tackled: Fixed an issue where darkness was breaking in explorer mode at the top left corner of the map for users on MacOS using integrated graphics settings Various Nightvision issues ranging from disappearing GM layer to Nightvision showing up on tokens you are not using “Control-L” on Ability to add a Dimmable Nightvision effect “Pixel Dust” scattered across the map Fixed a “cone” issue that kicked in when you hit a large number of tokens on the map Implemented significant performance improvements, which cut down considerably on the resources used across the board Fixed an issue where moving lighting barriers were updated as expected&nbsp; and many, many more, some of which you can see in our&nbsp; Change Log . With these issues addressed,&nbsp; we’re officially releasing Update 1.0 , which gives us a solid foundation to continue to build on. We’re excited with how it’s performing thus far, and we think you will be, as well. As always, we welcome your feedback in the &nbsp;forums &nbsp;and look forward to addressing whatever issues may arise as you play.&nbsp; For those of you still using Legacy Lighting, there’s never been a better time to make a copy of your game, convert it, and give Updated Dynamic Lighting a try. We will still support Legacy Lighting for a while, but we feel it’s only fair to let you know that&nbsp; we will be deprecating our support for the Legacy system sometime in the future . We will be sure to give you enough time to convert your games – and you can still use the Legacy system for some time after support is withdrawn – but our hope is that you’ll find enough in Updated Dynamic Lighting to not want to go back. Thanks for your support and patience during this time. If you’ll indulge a little corniness, we appreciate your passion and want to give you the best experience possible in your games. Updated Dynamic Lighting has been in the works for some time, and we see the 1.0 Update not as a finish line, but a checkpoint. Similarly, we know that development on Updated Dynamic Lighting isn’t a sprint. It’s a marathon. We’re going to keep working to improve it and bring it up to meet our standards and expectations. As always: Thanks for playing with us. THIS is VERY concerning as this was posted on Jan 14th on their Blog I would like an exact time frame for when it is lights out for Legacy lighting as that is the one thing that works for all my players and I!!........ Tom
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Tom said: THIS is VERY concerning as this was posted on Jan 14th on their Blog I would like an exact time frame for when it is lights out for Legacy lighting as that is the one thing that works for all my players and I!!........ Tom I don't think they have anything exact to give us.&nbsp; I think that all along it has been dependent on how things have gone for UDL.&nbsp; They obviously feel they are getting closer, however.

Edited 1610818082
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kraynic said: Tom said: THIS is VERY concerning as this was posted on Jan 14th on their Blog I would like an exact time frame for when it is lights out for Legacy lighting as that is the one thing that works for all my players and I!!........ Tom I don't think they have anything exact to give us.&nbsp; I think that all along it has been dependent on how things have gone for UDL.&nbsp; They obviously feel they are getting closer, however. Just my opinion, but the last two weeks of bug reports would seem to indicate otherwise.
Wow. Just wow. They are really going ahead with UDL despite the state it's *still* in. All right. If it doesn't run smoothly for me, that will be it for my Roll20 subscription.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian C. said: Just my opinion, but the last two weeks of bug reports would seem to indicate otherwise. Ok.&nbsp; I'm just saying that I doubt there is a date to give at this point, so getting an exact date isn't likely to happen.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Jay R. said: Wow. Just wow. They are really going ahead with UDL despite the state it's *still* in. All right. If it doesn't run smoothly for me, that will be it for my Roll20 subscription. The language used in that post isn't that unlike what was said around August last year when UDL technically reached "feature parity", while having lots of bugs. Until they gives us time estimates, I'd say it's still far away.
Literally nothing different.&nbsp; I re-ran the converter just to check, selecting everything in my module, set up the page and tokens under UDL and whilst I can see the GM layer references, the grid is still lost in fog when night vision characters are close.&nbsp; Patience is a limited resource
ᐰndreas J. said: Jay R. said: Wow. Just wow. They are really going ahead with UDL despite the state it's *still* in. All right. If it doesn't run smoothly for me, that will be it for my Roll20 subscription. The language used in that post isn't that unlike what was said around August last year when UDL technically reached "feature parity", while having lots of bugs. Until they gives us time estimates, I'd say it's still far away. Yes, but the language is more urgent, and the fact that they are trotting it out again -- without warning, as is sadly usual with them -- isn't to be taken lightly. All I'm saying is: they had better get the rollout right this time, and not take Legacy away until and ONLY until UDL is ready. Anything less and they will lose a bunch of paying customers.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kraynic said: Brian C. said: Just my opinion, but the last two weeks of bug reports would seem to indicate otherwise. Ok.&nbsp; I'm just saying that I doubt there is a date to give at this point, so getting an exact date isn't likely to happen. I agree, and sorry, I was not meaning for you to feel called out if you felt that way. I was referring more to the "they feel they are getting closer." While UDL is better than it was 9 months ago, that's a really low bar, and elements of UDL that are worse than LDL's version and have been present since April 8 2020, are still there.
I will summarize the 1.0 announcement: We are sorry we screwed up. To make things better we will continue doing things exactly as before. Because reasons. Thanks for your patience. And btw: we will take away the only working DL system soon. Not sure when, but soon for sure.
Just when it had hit functional, it regressed to unusable.&nbsp; All light sources now have vision in Explorer Mode, spoiling the majority of my dungeon map.
Additionally, it appears persistently broken in an unrecoverable way as Reset Fog no longer clears areas revealed by Explorer mode.&nbsp; One step forward, three steps back.
THIS is VERY concerning as this was posted on Jan 14th on their Blog I would like an exact time frame for when it is lights out for Legacy lighting as that is the one thing that works for all my players and I!!........ Tom I echo Tom's request. Even if Roll20 does not have a date that they will do this, I would like clarification about them ending support for legacy lighting, and if they can assure us that they will keep legacy lighting as an option until they can make significant improvements to UDL. I really am very, very frustrated- like many others- with this situation, and am just floored that Roll20 has let down so many paying customers. I wish I could leave the platform, but I have too much invested. I may just call it a loss and start the process.
Erica said: THIS is VERY concerning as this was posted on Jan 14th on their Blog I would like an exact time frame for when it is lights out for Legacy lighting as that is the one thing that works for all my players and I!!........ Tom I echo Tom's request. Even if Roll20 does not have a date that they will do this, I would like clarification about them ending support for legacy lighting, and if they can assure us that they will keep legacy lighting as an option until they can make significant improvements to UDL. I really am very, very frustrated- like many others- with this situation, and am just floored that Roll20 has let down so many paying customers. I wish I could leave the platform, but I have too much invested. I may just call it a loss and start the process. The only reason keeping me (and my other players) on roll20 is the working legacy DL.&nbsp; With the VTTES plugin, some APIs, some clever macros, and LDL, roll20 is currently decent. Break this, we leave. I wish they understood that UDL is broken and cannot be saved, simply went back to the drawing board and would rather focus on user experience issues. Although, on second thought, I wish they would not touch anything at all except keeping things running.&nbsp;
I managed to get this unbroken on my map, although I'm not sure exactly which levers I jiggled that were the final fix.&nbsp; A few things I noticed: My lighting mode was busted in some way that the eyeball menu showed Reset Fog instead of Reset Explorable/Permanent Darkness.&nbsp; Reloading the map reset that.&nbsp; Changing the Darkness mode might also do it.&nbsp; After that, the menu showed Reset xx Darkness, and that works again. After a reset, the lights on my map no longer have vision, but there was no play in the time when they were working to when they broke, so I don't know what the cause or the fix was. In attempting to re-reveal the dungeon in explorer view, it hit a couple spots it shouldn't have.&nbsp; After that, I found that drawing using the Explorable Darkness reveal / hide now work on Explorer Mode areas, which let me fix up the handful of busted vision areas, and they have stayed fixed for the moment.
I spoke too soon.. while writing this post, in the background the map changed and every light got vision up to its light radius that passed through walls, revealing / spoiling the map again.
Hi there!&nbsp; We're back after a wonderful holiday break with more UDL updates, and this one is important! Thanks to your feedback, after our latest updates we are now considering UDL to have reached 1.0.&nbsp; To learn more about what that means to us, you can visit this blog post.&nbsp; In the coming days, we will be closing this thread and creating a new one as we look toward the future of UDL. As always, your feedback will be essential in the process of improving our platform! Until this thread closes, feel free to post feedback about UDL as it stands, and where you would like to see us go from here.&nbsp; Happy new year!&nbsp;
Katie Mae said: Hi there!&nbsp; We're back after a wonderful holiday break with more UDL updates, and this one is important! Thanks to your feedback, after our latest updates we are now considering UDL to have reached 1.0.&nbsp; To learn more about what that means to us, you can visit this blog post.&nbsp; In the coming days, we will be closing this thread and creating a new one as we look toward the future of UDL. As always, your feedback will be essential in the process of improving our platform! Until this thread closes, feel free to post feedback about UDL as it stands, and where you would like to see us go from here.&nbsp; Happy new year!&nbsp; But your latest change log shows absolutely no changes to UDL, so I don't see what the V1.0 tag is being placed against.
Katie Mae said: Hi there!&nbsp; We're back after a wonderful holiday break with more UDL updates, and this one is important! Thanks to your feedback, after our latest updates we are now considering UDL to have reached 1.0.&nbsp; To learn more about what that means to us, you can visit this blog post.&nbsp; In the coming days, we will be closing this thread and creating a new one as we look toward the future of UDL. As always, your feedback will be essential in the process of improving our platform! Until this thread closes, feel free to post feedback about UDL as it stands, and where you would like to see us go from here.&nbsp; Happy new year!&nbsp; Did you read the last few pages of comments? It's posts like these that make your customers distrust Roll20's process. There are pages of bugs, pages of weird behavior and performance issues, stuff that has been unresolved since April and stuff that has cropped up recently. Yet Roll20 blithely pretends everything is fine and talks about a 1.0 release when the feature is STILL not ready for primetime. Your team is living in a world of "alternative facts," and it's not a good look. No amount of messaging will make people think UDL is functional when it's not.
About three weeks ago I started getting this weird error.&nbsp; Players could see through UDL walls in these pixel-y lines.&nbsp; Is this the "Visual artifacts while using Explorer mode with integrated graphics on MacOS" bug?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Katie Mae said: Hi there!&nbsp; We're back after a wonderful holiday break with more UDL updates, and this one is important! Thanks to your feedback, after our latest updates we are now considering UDL to have reached 1.0.&nbsp; To learn more about what that means to us, you can visit this blog post.&nbsp; In the coming days, we will be closing this thread and creating a new one as we look toward the future of UDL. As always, your feedback will be essential in the process of improving our platform! Until this thread closes, feel free to post feedback about UDL as it stands, and where you would like to see us go from here.&nbsp; Happy new year!&nbsp; This is more tone deaf announcement about UDL than usual. Announcing that a piece of software is "1.0" communicates that it is feature complete and relatively bug free. UDL is neither. The time since the last announcement of a code push on December 31 has been filled with a stream of complaints and bug reports on this thread. Nobody has said, "Great, it works now!" Emphasizing that LDL is going away reinforces the push to UDL by presenting the stick alongside the carrot (Look at all the great new features! LDL is going away, so you better move on. . . ). This follows the pattern over the last 9 months of repeatedly telling customers that "UDL is ready, and it's never been a better time to switch your game over to UDL!" each time just weeks after massive, game-breaking bugs are reported. Since UDL still isn't ready and is constantly being refactored, fixed, and changed, people keep popping up after code pushes saying, "Hey my game had been working on UDL for the last several weeks/months, and now this happened. . . ". Meanwhile, core issues have never been fixed since April 8, 2020, or when other significant changes to UDL were made. This constant push of UDL when it is so demonstrably not ready communicates a disdain for Roll20's customers: that their customers' limited gaming time means so little that Roll20 is not willing to make sure the system is bulletproof before announcing the feature and telling their customers to use it. Roll20 then apologizes. . . and does it again and again and again. Roll20 could have adjusted the schedule to announce 1.0 until the newly created spate of bugs were dealt with, but Roll20 has again demonstrated that they value adhering to a schedule over their customers' time and resources. I want UDL to succeed. I have wanted DL fixed ever since two years ago the AFoW rewrite restricted clearing fog of war to light sources the player controlled and took away our ability to restrict how far from the token the calculations were done, causing a loss in performance. We were left with a system that did less than its predecessor and had worse performance. Currently, UDL does not do everything LDL does, and it does it worse. I will continue to help how I can, by testing the feature and posting pictures and video showing the results, but it is exceedingly annoying to see myself and others bring up issues and have them not fixed for half a year or more. These are not just "obvious" bugs that appear with a few minutes of kicking the metaphorical tires but fundamental design choices that are different from LDL and have made the gameplay experience worse. These include: Changing the light origin point and collision box on tokens from a single point to an area. This has caused light to bleed over to the other side of DL walls on some converted maps and changed the distance that light is emitted from tokens to be larger than the specified distance. Changing dim light to shift from bright to darkness the further from the token you look rather than using a uniform dim light level across the area. This causes tokens that cast dim light over long distances to emit bright light for the first portion. Changing DL lines to block from the edges of the line instead of down the middle of the line. This was added (along with the expanded bounding box) because early on in UDL someone had vision start further out from the center of the token while the collision was checked at a pixel at the center. In June, the vision/bounding boxed were matched up, but this change was retained. This causes existing maps to change how much of walls and doors are occluded by DL lines with any thickness. Some maps have thin walls and doors that can be approached from both sides, so the line has to run down the middle of the wall or door. Thin lines cannot be easily selected (or at all in some cases), which makes them bad candidates for doors, but under UDL thick lines block players from even being able to tell there is a door there in certain situations. The change has also caused secret doors on walls to jut out from the wall. In LDL, if we want a DL wall to block vision from the edge of the line, we can&nbsp; Switching to raycasting to tell what a token can see. The jagged lines it causes look horrible. It blocks the player from being able to see up to the DL line in some cases. That the darkvision implementation in UDL does not properly interact with dim light, whereas it does in LDL. Nobody cares about the excuse that it was not intended behavior, especially when it has been a core part of DL for years (and described on the wiki). This could have been quickly and easily handled by implementing Night Vision as a second light that only the controlling players and GM could see. This would have reduced code complexity, produced the desired darkvision behavior, given bright and dim Night Vision options, and avoided a number of game-breaking bugs. It would have even been simple to add a second light for darkvision in LDL to buy extra time for UDL's development. Your customers would have been singing your praises for such a simple addition instead of leaving the platform. tl;dr It was disingenuous for Roll20 to announce that UDL is at 1.0. It is my opinion that UDL should not be considered to be at 1.0 until it can do everything that LDL (and original DL/AFoW) can do at least as well as the previous systems and is relatively bug free.
Brian C. said: This constant push of UDL when it is so demonstrably not ready communicates a disdain for Roll20's customers: that their customers' limited gaming time means so little that Roll20 is not willing to make sure the system is bulletproof before announcing the feature and telling their customers to use it. Roll20 then apologizes. . . and does it again and again and again . Roll20 could have adjusted the schedule to announce 1.0 until the newly created spate of bugs were dealt with, but Roll20 has again demonstrated that they value adhering to a schedule over their customers' time and resources. This 100x over, particularly the part in bold. The Orwellian dimension to Roll20's messaging is disturbing. "If we tell you this new lighting system is great and ready, over and over and over again, you'll eventually believe it, because a lie becomes truth if repeated often enough." But it's not just this particular instance of Roll20 messing up -- it's the pattern. Time and time and time again, Roll20 forces an incomplete, broken, or unsatisfactory feature on its customers, tells them said feature is great, pretends to listen to feedback while not actually listening, walks back said feature months later in the most equivocal way possible, offers a lame apology ... and does the same thing the next time.&nbsp; At this point, I can only conclude that the incompetence of the dev team is matched only by the contempt of Roll20 for its paying customers. It's time to check out VTT Foundry.
I didn't start GMing in Roll20 until a couple months ago and thus have always used UDL.&nbsp; I want it to work.&nbsp; I like the features it has and am excited for what else it allows.&nbsp; When I first started using it I didn't experience any of the issues everyone was complaining about except that it was unusably slow for one of my players.&nbsp; Which meant that I avoided turning it on for most of my maps if I didn't have any pressing reason. Performance wise, thing do seem to actually have improved recently - so that's neat.&nbsp; And yet, amusingly, right after 1.0 is announced, I've actually gone made a copy of one of the maps I'll be using next week with it set up for LDL for the first time because UDL has been super flaky for me recently. On multiple maps in multiple games I've had an issue where everything will look fine when a map is loaded, and then the second someone moves a token, some or of the people who should have vision from that token lose it and they just see the explored map layer in gray.&nbsp; Other players still see normally and can continue moving the token exposing more map.&nbsp; In one game it was a party token, where 2 players could see fine and two had no idea what was going on, but it looked fine too me.&nbsp; In two other instances, it was the players token and was working fine for the player, despite looking to me like they weren't seeing a thing.&nbsp; Moving to another map and back again gives vision to everyone until the next time the token is moved. Anecdotally - making a copy of the affected maps seems to maybe clear the issues up at least temporarily.&nbsp; So if our existing maps are just getting messed up because Roll20 keeps changing things, maybe a move to 1.0 is a good thing. It certainly doesn't seem like it's quite finished baking yet though.
I'm not really sure what good complaining about UDL will do. It's obviously all the users fault it doesn't work right. We are either using the wrong browser, or our maps are too big, Chrome just did an update that caused UDL to not work right, etc so on and so forth.The code is absolutely perfect....it's the dumb users that are causing all the issues. (Yes.....this message is very tongue in cheek)

Edited 1610897667
I am having the same problem as Aaron - my light sources are getting this weird ring effect.&nbsp; These torch settings are all a little different but the two on the bottom there are set to 10' bright light and 20' low light.&nbsp; And what's being displayed is like 10' bright, then 10' of no light, then 10' of light again.&nbsp; If I drag the source it resets and seems to fix it but then it all gets messed up again from time to time if I leave the map and reload it.&nbsp; Pretty annoying.&nbsp; This is in Chrome FWIW.
I first used roll20 back in 2013 and then stopped using it for many years because I had no one to play with. I recently came back to it as I got a group of old friends together and we wanted to play. I was very unpleasantly surprised by how little the project had progressed within the years that I had not used it. On top of that you seem to completely ignore all feedback and bug reports, especially when it comes to UDL. I consider myself lucky because I has far fewer issues that most of the people I see posting here but still a significant portion of each session goes towards sorting out issues with the software, and especially UDL. I'm sorry but I cannot justify a monthly sub when there are much more robust and bug free options out there now.
If I use UDL and have two or more characters with night vision, the grid dissapears in the areas where the night vision overlap.&nbsp; This makes NPC placement very difficult :/

Edited 1610937273
Jay R. said: It's time to check out VTT Foundry. You wont regret it. I cancelled my subscription and transferred a couple of months ago now and its sooo refreshing and sooo many more options with the lighting.&nbsp; Everything on the Roll20 suggestions list is already done and working.&nbsp; Couple of the main ones, are you get to choose when you update (not just before a game when Roll20 decide they want to break something because it wasnt tested correctly) and custom compendiums.