Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Odd color choice for EVERYTHING now

Edited 1659391930
I do understand that they want to change things, but PLEASE... leave the colors as they were before! This is EYE CANCER... WHY has the color of the dice of the logo to be used EVERYWHERE now? It is not just on the site but on VTT as well! Just CHANGE the LAYOUT so that every page uses the SAME basic Layout (and not as it STILL is with the marketplace having its own layout compared to the rest of the site and the forum!) Also: Is THIS really necessary?

Edited 1659406043
Mark G.
KS Backer
Way too much pink. I find it revolting.  EDIT: I need to amend. The white-on-white for the map picker, the new "Created by" box on the game's main page, and the color scheme. I dislike or downright hate all of it. 
GOOD LORD MY POOR RETINAE!
Yeah, I agree, way overboard on the pink.
It's a bit much, though thankfully they haven't changed much in-game. They did change somethings, and this is how my map names appear. Is this intentional? They're almost unreadable on the brighter background

Edited 1659450890
Pictojo said: It's a bit much, though thankfully they haven't changed much in-game. They did change somethings, and this is how my map names appear. Is this intentional? They're almost unreadable on the brighter background "Archive" for pages is not even there anymore... (the string)... I am GLAD they have not changed more in VTT but the colors of the checkboxes right now... (HOPING White Background for Map Selection is a bug!) I really hope they change it back OR give us the option to choose a color WE want to use... (but regarding the things Roll20 have done in recent past I do NOT think this is going to happen!)
Pictojo said: They did change somethings, and this is how my map names appear. Is this intentional? They're almost unreadable on the brighter background Yeah, I just noticed that too, because my weekly game starts in 30 minutes... Ugh.
This is actually causing problems for me due to my eye condition which causes bright whites to blur over other colours. The change has genuinely made the site less accessible for me as a user, which is something of a shame since I think a minimalist pink aestetic could fit Roll20 nicely, however this change isn't it. Please make it something else, or atleast provide options for those of us with eyesight issues.
LoL Cannot read any of my map labels :(
this color scheme is bad! especialy white background with white text like on the drop down bar with maps etc... so hard to read =(
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Dear god why. I came to make a post about this, but see someone beat me to it. It's so incredibly awful.  I doubt this passes good contrast ratio tests. Pink is not a good primary text color on a white background. Why, dear god why. Please spare us the "UI improvement".
I tend to try and accustom myself to changes, but the color scheme is making my head hurt, and it is really hard to read the pages as GM. Please at least consider quickfixing the white background with white letters, as it poses a real problem when having numerous pages with the same bg picture.
Semi-related Question:  Didn't you previously used to be able to see which topics you'd voted up on the Suggestions forum?  I thought it had a different color arrow before, but they are all pink now.
I Agree 100% the dark mode slider option isn't enough to counter the strain on my eyes now. I legit am struggling working with this at all. Please revert or give us an option to use the old style instead, for the love of the gods please!

Edited 1659405150
Ezra
KS Backer
I have to assume this was a mistake. Please? The Pages in game are completely unreadable now, as has been mentioned previously.
I was about to report it as a css bug, it looks as if a bottle of pepto bismol exploded all over the site.
Agreed, looks terrible.  Also on the page toolbar its impossible to read the page names and it wont do dark mode.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Reported with request [#96779].
MysterX said: Semi-related Question:  Didn't you previously used to be able to see which topics you'd voted up on the Suggestions forum?  I thought it had a different color arrow before, but they are all pink now. Yes! This is another impact of the change... Before the normal arrows were blue instead of pink. They turned pink if you upvoted a topic. Now you cannot even see anymore which of the topics you voted up...

Edited 1659423274
Mike Donovan said: I was about to report it as a css bug, it looks as if a bottle of pepto bismol exploded all over the site. Sadly it is not! According to their Change-Log they "improved" the layout of the whole page yesterday...
One more thing:  The green Icon is overlapping with the text

Edited 1659436872
Want to laugh? Just noticed they have not even changed every part:       Lower image is the Macro section which has the normal blue color for checked boxes... on the left you have the settings menu that has the pinkish check boxes...  This reinforces my argument that absolutely no testing / quality control has been done here!
Daniel S. said: Dear god why. I came to make a post about this, but see someone beat me to it. It's so incredibly awful.  I doubt this passes good contrast ratio tests. Pink is not a good primary text color on a white background. Why, dear god why. Please spare us the "UI improvement". +1 please undo this asap. It's bad enough that some parts of the website used to buzz and feel painful to look at, but now the entire website feels like its vibrating. I literally cannot look at the screen while typing this reply. As someone with migraines, particularly ocular migraines, this is not functional.
Why on earth anyone thought this was a good idea is mind boggling. This is enough for me to look for another platform.
My ageing eyesight is not that great to begin with, this new color scheme makes it a labor to read anything. Please fix this quickly.

Edited 1659456873
Gold
Forum Champion
Can we get a response from Roll20 Team on this please? This is a lot of commentary. There are numerous threads saying this. Look around the forum please, Roll20 Team. Dio G.  said: This is actually causing problems for me due to my eye condition which causes bright whites to blur over other colours. My problem is the same as Dio's, and it is an issue of Accessibility for visually disabled people.  Please reconsider visual accessibility, Roll20 Team.
Hey folks, Dropping in here to first say we've been watching this thread-- apologies for the radio silence as we've been focusing heavily on addressing the feedback here directly as quickly as we can. Thank you all for your patience and desire to make Roll20 better! This update is directed at unifying the many different styles across the site as well as preparing for Dark Mode outside of the VTT. Some fixes we have in testing now: Colors on forum headers and text Colors for voting arrows Text colors on the "campaigns/details" page WYSIWYG editor boarders Page menu background (white text on white background) We are still working on these items so I cannot provide an exact ETA, but expect them very soon. Feel free to provide screen shots of other errors you may have encountered as we are documenting everything we can.
the map background, white text on white background, is basically unreadable -- please fix ASAP. (btw, what you see in the post without, clicking on the image, is how it looks in use -- very fuzzy and very hard to read)

Edited 1659465976
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's one not on the list from user Zaodon, in  this thread : Example of "empty" dropdown (white on white) Although it might be related to the Campaign Details page bug listed above.
this black on black really doesn't work for me either. in handouts
Me too
I suffer from a light sensitivity issue and using dark mode in every application is almost a necessity to me. I have been using it in roll20 with no problems, however, as of this week, for some reason the Page Toolbar in my game has switched off dark mode. Everything else is dark mode, except the page toolbar. This is making it difficult to read the names of the pages and really tiring my eyes through the game.  At first I thought this was a bug, but now I see it is a... feature? I think these kinds of things should be customizable. Even for someone without my eye condition will have trouble reading those names now. Here's a picture showing what I mean:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check to make sure this isn't a cut and paste issue. If the text is copied from a source which defines the text color as black, and it is not a clean text-only paste, that formatting can carry through. If you suspect this, try running it through a text editor like notepad first. The eraser tool in the text formatting bar can help too, though it is not as guaranteed a solution. Ken R. said: this black on black really doesn't work for me either. in handouts
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thiago G.  said: Here's a picture showing what I mean: Ken R.  said: the map background, white text on white background, is basically unreadable --  Both of these are examples of this issue, listed above: Drespar said: Page menu background (white text on white background) The Page menu is the one that displays maps.

Edited 1659470675
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also not mentioned in the list above is a change in CSS display on compendium handouts. (Passing this on from one of the closed threads. I have not investigated this one rigorously) When opening a compendium entry, something seems to have changed with the divs. When opening a handout at the default size, the table of contents now pushes the main content div out of the way. A handout's width must now be increased by nearly 150% in order to display as intended. At default size: Resizing handout to ~150% width:
This is incredibly frustrating, please fix this.
Sooo... Threads have been locked and fused in here? And tickets has been treated then closed as feedbacks?!? Don't mind me, I'll just be tabbed out having a look at alternatives to Roll20 -.-
As someone who works in visual communication for a living, this is not aesthetically pleasing, just gross. Not only does it hurt people's eyes, or make it more difficult for those with acuity issues, but we are all accustomed to blue. If you're going to subject users to something like this we should at least have the option of turning it off.  Please change it back, this is terrible.
Look I'm an idiot and your Roll20 Team post didn't answer the complaint I or many had. My thread got locked and linked to this one. Will you fix this ugly pink causing me eye strain, eye pain, and migraines? I ignore all the annoying breaking system changes with dynamic lighting for years they were annoyances no one asked for. But this. You are literally causing me pain. Was this not beta tested or given to a group of community members to get a assessment on if this hurting so many peoples eyes pink was a good idea? you were a great site Roll20, sure the marketplace and some other pages being completely different was jarring. But a great site. I'd like to continue using you. But without being tortured please. I don't complain often here. In fact this was my first in 4 years. And it's because you're causing me physical pain and migraines.
Have they toned the pink down? It doesn't seem so eye-searing as it did a few hours ago. Even so, there's not enough contrast for my aging eyes. You can always spot a website designed by the young; tiny fonts, low contrast, has all of its original teeth...
Yea this update is horrible. The contrast is painful. And the page white on white is the dumbest decision ever. Who honestly mocked this up and said "Yea, this looks good. Push it out."?

Edited 1659474887
Did I fix it?!? Lol as soon as I submitted post everything reverted back.   edit: well not everything, but the white on white pages things is back to the old way and the these posts aren't as pink
This update is AWEFUL! What beta testing with users do you do? The map list colorization violates every human factors metric with regards to vision that exists. Who signed off on this? Revert back immediately and go back to the drawing board....I am leaning towards jumping ship to Foundry, this just might push me there.
Thanks for removing the searing Pink - I assume this grey is only TEMP until they figure out a color scheme and all the other stuff they needed to do in order to prepare for the darkmode changes they were talking about.

Edited 1659475267
Can we get a fix for the compendium information not being properly sized inside things like the charactermancer, it is inconvenient having to resize the window massively to fit it all on without horizontally scrolling. The scrollbar now also clips over the text below it which just further compounds the issue.
Hey everyone, As folks have noticed, we were in the midst of pushing out updates and changes to address key feedback items. Below is the list of what's changed: Forum title links on the main forum page has been changed. It will now only show color on hover. Updated reply links to gray color with pink highlight on hover Updated the "new post/reply" in forum -- the WYSIWYG editor to remove the pink outline On the campaign details, the profile box in the top right is no longer all pink text Fixed the page drop down menu in the VTT so there is no longer a white background Thank you everyone for the feedback thus far and your patience while we were addressing things directly. We believe these changes handle some of the biggest issues folks were mentioning. We are still going to be keeping watch on this thread and other channels for other areas that need addressed in addition to addressing a few items still outstanding. Please feel free to continue providing feedback on areas that you believe need addressed.
Drespar said: Please feel free to continue providing feedback on areas that you believe need addressed. No one wants ANY pink. Your paying customers would like the site reverted back to the way it was. What is the logic behind this change? Having pink links or hover-over pink does not help make your brand. If anything it's going to drive people away. It literally does nothing to improve the site.
While I cannot comment on interface issues for GMs, the VTT interface for players seems mostly unchanged (thank god for small mercies). However, I'm not entirely sure about that, since we only used the opening map landing page, and since our GM, and the other players and I just couldn't look at the site for our latest game, we just went full TotM, excepting for that one uploaded map screen. Not everyone likes or enjoys this kind of bright eye-candy. It personally hurts me to look at it, and I try not to. Colour psychology is not universal, and s omeone needs to study up on colour preferences. I can't find it right now, but I know there is a matrix out there for how people with certain colour preferences can't stand opposing colours, like dark colours (black, navy blue, etc) are mostly disliked by people who really enjoy lime green or neon pink and vice versa, and people who like pastels tolerate both those options but do not particularly like either. You also need to consider people with light sensitivity - truly bright colours can be physically painful and blur vision; that's what Dark mode should be for, but everyone I know who uses roll20 (across 4 campaigns) hates Dark Mode and refuses to use it. They'll even take this abhorrent pink assault over using Dark Mode. I haven't tried it as a result of all that negativity, which is a shame, because I don't handle so much white very well.