Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Odd color choice for EVERYTHING now

It depends on the system you are going to play. Some VTTs are better for lets say Cthulhu, some are better for dnd... so... yeah... Roll20 is definitely NOT the most innovative any longer, I think we can say that for sure! And compared to other VTTs Roll20 offers very little and only for paying customers! Yeah, sure, you have the Roll20 reserve, where you get some things for free, but that's just it! (And again, only for paying customers). Roll20 WAS always easy to use, however with those recent changes it gets more and more annoying! Then there is the still incomplete VTT Dark Mode and now the pink bomb here on the main site and many other CSS issues that came with it. The fact that Roll20 watches this thread only helps little just cause they are NOT responding. They are not able to give us an ETA or a heads up, what will be changed in the near Future (which would be nice!). Also the fact that dynamic lighing is STILL BROKEN thanks to the introduced CSS Bugs makes the decision to switch fairly easy! (Cause other VTTs have it enabled by default!) But that is just MY humble Opinion on this! weepingminotaur said: Kraynic said: Grand DM said:  There is more value elsewhere for far less these days. Roll20 is definitely not the most innovative any longer. Value is pretty subjective.  For what I do in my games, I don't see higher value anywhere else.  I'm not even sure that saying another vtt is more innovative is anything but subjective either.  And that isn't even getting into the divide of what a vtt provides and what the community around that vtt provides. When a car has a bad engine and another car doesn't, you can say that the second car is better with a fair degree of objectivity. Value is largely subjective, but not entirely so. 
Nothing much here other than to add my agreement that the pink colour is unattractive, and I find it glaring. I am not a fan of this change -- at all.

Edited 1660313975
Kraynic said: Is everything just perfect and rosy?  No, of course not.  Actually, it seems more than enough rosy to me. And full of artificial flavours, to boot. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Frank K. said: Kraynic said: Is everything just perfect and rosy?  No, of course not.  Actually, it seems more than enough rosy to me. And full of artificial flavours, to boot. Ha!  Fair enough! I'm wondering what the final color scheme/layout will be. Maybe it will be tulips and tiger lilies by the end!
Grand DM said: Rich H. said: Maxtech said: roll20 is and always has been an absolute dissapointment brought forward only by its community. I fucking hate how they treat the people they depend on and as things are clear not to change due to a company policy of "weathering out the storm" rather than addressing any of its causes, i look forward to seeing this website fade into irrelevance. Foundry, here i come. Weathering the storm has always worked; it will work this time.  People are upset about it and threaten to move to another VTT; however, they will not because they have vested too much time/money/energy into it.  Its human nature to resist change so they will remain here with a VTT they know and are comfortable with.  Sure there will be the small number that may jump ship, but most will return and those that don't will be replaced by others quick enough.  Roll20 knows this so they will just wait for the dust to settle.  They will not change their ways until they see a mass migration leave and not return. Just my 2 cents on it. I think you're wrong there sir. There is more value elsewhere for far less these days. Roll20 is definitely not the most innovative any longer. But hey, we have pink hyperlinks! I never said there wasn't more value elsewhere nor did I ever say Roll20 was the most innovative.
Grand DM said: I think you're wrong there sir. There is more value elsewhere for far less these days. Roll20 is definitely not the most innovative any longer. But hey, we have pink hyperlinks! I'm not concerned with Roll20's level of innovation; what is offered here and what they are developing is sufficient for what I want to do. I know that there are other VTT's out there that may offer more, but I don't have the resources to re-purchase all the content that I've bought here to go and set up somewhere else. (Not to mention forcing my players to learn how to navigate and use another new interface.) I just want to not experience actual, physical pain when I log onto this site just because of some developer's or marketing wonk's clueless color choice.
Rick A. said: Grand DM said: I think you're wrong there sir. There is more value elsewhere for far less these days. Roll20 is definitely not the most innovative any longer. But hey, we have pink hyperlinks! I'm not concerned with Roll20's level of innovation; what is offered here and what they are developing is sufficient for what I want to do. I know that there are other VTT's out there that may offer more, but I don't have the resources to re-purchase all the content that I've bought here to go and set up somewhere else. (Not to mention forcing my players to learn how to navigate and use another new interface.) I just want to not experience actual, physical pain when I log onto this site just because of some developer's or marketing wonk's clueless color choice. Pepto-Bismol hyperlinks are a great feature. 
Hi again everyone, I wanted to provide an update at the end of the week. T his isn't as quick as we would have preferred, but,  as mentioned by Lavi ,  the team is focused on several fixes and enhancements. You can expect to start seeing some of those changes rolling out next week. We are taking the concerns of accessibility very seriously and are evaluating that feedback with the new design.  This is an update not just to the style but standardization of the Roll20 site, and is an enabler to unlock highly requested features such as Dark Mode outside of the VTT. We are planning to support this new design with continued improvements into the future.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Drespar!
How about this: IF you make all elements transparent, let us dicide if we want to see them or not (HIDE them). As for the Avatars and the sheets... put the sheets in front! All else is annoying as hell especially when using the PDF Feature or inline handouts! And PLEASE roll back the CSS Changes for Links in Handouts and for the Dropdowns... Those are NOT usable right now because you cannot read a darn thing with grey on white! And PLEASE fix the Jukebox Dropdown being stuck on "Add to game" with highlighting (on Light AND Darkmode!) THX! Drespar said: Hi again everyone, I wanted to provide an update at the end of the week. T his isn't as quick as we would have preferred, but,  as mentioned by Lavi ,  the team is focused on several fixes and enhancements. You can expect to start seeing some of those changes rolling out next week. We are taking the concerns of accessibility very seriously and are evaluating that feedback with the new design.  This is an update not just to the style but standardization of the Roll20 site, and is an enabler to unlock highly requested features such as Dark Mode outside of the VTT. We are planning to support this new design with continued improvements into the future.
How has this not been changed yet?? Every hyperlink to everything, all menu tabs. Tell us what we did wrong to deserve this punishment? When will you choose to listen to the community and revert?
Drespar said: We are taking the concerns of accessibility very seriously and are evaluating that feedback with the new design.  Except the part where you refuse to revert the changes back to a better, previous state while fixing the bugs for the future update.

Edited 1660378010
Even if you are not subjected to disabilities, maybe one of your (future) players is... and if that player cannot use the site, you as a dm can either say: ok, lets use something else, or exclude that player... I think we all agree that excluding players is NO option... So? Use something else... (that's what I would do) Brett said: If it were not for people with actual disabilities expressing their concerns, this thread would not be of any interest to them at all. You will embrace the pink, and to say anything to the contrary would be regarded as wrongthink.

Edited 1660381777
Drespar said: We are taking the concerns of accessibility very seriously and are evaluating that feedback with the new design.  How you are gonna pull this off maintaining accessibility AND keep your horrendous pink on white scheme is beyond me, but it will be interesting to see. I think though, it would be far easier for you to just roll back, and then test these things before you try again. The fact that you missed (very) light grey text on white background suggests you did NOT test this before it was rolled out. Trust me - I work in a web-based archive in the public sector, and just about every b**y release from our vendor there are problems like this. They have admitted they do not have the time to regression test everything everytime. Twice just this year have they had to roll back because core functions stopped working. 
Frank K. said: Drespar said: We are taking the concerns of accessibility very seriously and are evaluating that feedback with the new design.  How you are gonna pull this off maintaining accessibility AND keep your horrendous pink on white scheme is beyond me, but it will be interesting to see.  This. I work in visual communication, making exhibits that are published to a jury in high profile, court cases. This pink/white combo breaks every design rule you could imagine. It adds nothing to the site.  In terms of accessibility, colorblindness and other conditions can make it difficult for some individuals to tell certain colors apart. I'm not sure if this new combo is even ADA compliant, and if so it might just be barely - which is not the standard anyone should be going for. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just stepping back in to remind folks that this is a place where we have fun and all agreed to be civil .
BUG REPORT When editing links on a character sheet (at least on CP Red), the text in the fields is invisible. I've highlighted it to show both fields have data, but it cannot be seen. FEATURE REQUEST Make flyout links on the left (Blog, Help Center, Change Log, etc) black instead of pink. They are black instead of pink until you login and it's easier to read that way. A pink mouseover would be fine to indicate the selected state. There's also no way of knowing which primary navigation item (Home, Games, Market, etc.) is currently selected. Having the little arrow flip over could help, or an underline, etc. The goal is I know Community is currently selected, and Blog, Help, etc. are sub-menu items for that section.
this pink is SUCH an eyesore
Barking at each other is not going to change anything. But I get it, people are upset and feel like they're NOT being heard. I sincerely hope that Roll20 will rollback the lion's share of these changes. Upsetting the loyal community over forced aesthetics is not good business sense.
Gold
Forum Champion
The hot pink is an aggressive color. This color scheme is setting the wrong tone for an interactive gaming community website. Please fix it to match the diversity of website users with a more neutral and eye pleasing color scheme. 
Kraynic  said: Most users?  Or a small vocal minority on the forums?  The thing is that this is the only place I see this sort of thing, because even the other people running games that I routinely communicate with rarely come to the forums.   This thread has nearly as much engagement in  one week  as the Dark Mode thread has garnered in 5 months . Its safe to say that this issue is far more pressing than anything else this year by a wide margin.

Edited 1660559442
ANOTHER contrast Issue regarding PINK LINKS: THIS can be seen in the Marketplace when browsing... the word "Next" on the Button is hardly visible! I cannot believe that this was not thoroughly tested before release! And yes, I am saying this. There have been multiple instances of this "feature" appearing after recent changes... IF it would have been tested, these bugs would not be there... SAME goes for the "Previous" Button. If you hover over the buttons they turn darker and while hovering over the button in question, font turns white again... but ONLY while hovering... As for the main page, the color gets a few shades lighter when hovering over a button... Please... IF you change something... make it CONSISTENT across the site!
The Foegetter said: Kraynic  said: Most users?  Or a small vocal minority on the forums?  The thing is that this is the only place I see this sort of thing, because even the other people running games that I routinely communicate with rarely come to the forums.   This thread has nearly as much engagement in  one week  as the Dark Mode thread has garnered in 5 months . Its safe to say that this issue is far more pressing than anything else this year by a wide margin. Yes and for a 'feature' the lion's share of us would like to be reversed. Imagine that.
Brett said: People want to feel like they are being heard, and that their concerns are being taken seriously. And clearly, that's lacking right now. This. 
This has been one of Roll20's greatest challenges over the years. I wish I could say that it has improved, but I am still seeing the same patterns repeating year after year...  Community makes enough noise about issue X, staff finally steps in and does whatever it takes to quiet things back down. Rinse, repeat. The net result is it's a grind to be heard and the community is frustrated. I've said this a number of times: If Roll20 just improved their communications things would be so much better.  bad news is better than no news.   Even if the update is blah blah blah is delayed, or not much progress has been made, but we're looking at it again this month, etc. It wouldn't take a huge amount of staff if their only job was to communicate with the community. come to work, look at the log of outstanding issues that need replies, get to what you can that day. That would be light years ahead of how it works now. Grand DM said: Brett said: People want to feel like they are being heard, and that their concerns are being taken seriously. And clearly, that's lacking right now. This. 

Edited 1660590162
Forum Layout is COMPLETELY BROKEN!!! EDIT: NOW it is fixed... Editor seems different (at least it is diffferent to edit the post direclty where you posted it and not below)... sadly all other editor bugs are there...

Edited 1660590133
TEST YOUR STUFF BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT!!! OTHERWISE THINGS LIKE THIS ARE BOUND TO HAPPEN!!!
The FFG/Star Wars FFG dice aren't working after the new update. Neither the !eed command or rolling through the sheet. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
argentAegis said: The FFG/Star Wars FFG dice aren't working after the new update. Neither the !eed command or rolling through the sheet.  Answered in the other thread .
Be that as it may, my group is still having issues.