Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Hello! Please redirect any feedback or conversation about the color changes and Page Toolbar to this thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11009797/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11009797/</a>
Just Wanted to add my Two Cents, I am having same Blinding Issue White on White is not going to be good for your eyes, and this pink is Distracting
keithcurtis said: Lag reports are hard to diagnose (You've hit hardware accelleration, which is the 800 pound gorilla of DL lag). Some folks seem to get lag no matter what, others never seem to run into it. I rarely encounter any significant lag, for instance. How complex is the map? Things to look out for: Excessive light sources. Do you have more than a few dozen? NPCs with vision. Although this is less of a lag issue than a display issue. Lots of NPCs with nightvision can make a dark room look bright, for instance. Excessive points in DL lines. Avoid using the freehand tool if possible. The lines it generates are needlessly complex and can affect display. Theoretically, a lot of freehand lines could affect performance as well. Also huge maps might be problematic (in excess of 60x60 grid squares, though this can vary widely based on other parameters--there is no strong rule of thumb here.) Try running in a private browsing window, to rule out interference from extensions, cookies or cached data. Make sure you are using a supported browser (Chrome, Firefox). As a pure test, you can also try temporarily switching one for the other, to see if there might be a browser setting at play. Keith, along these lines, is there a post anywhere here with "UDL best practices"?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Steven B. said: Keith, along these lines, is there a post anywhere here with "UDL best practices"? I actually have a list of links on a hotkey, for just this purpose! These are all Help Center articles. I've marked the most apropos ones. HOW TO USE DYNAMIC LIGHTING How To Set Up Dynamic Lighting Dynamic Lighting Checklist &nbsp;&lt;&lt;&lt; TECH &amp; SETTINGS FOR DYNAMIC LIGHTING &nbsp;&lt;&lt;&lt; Default Settings For Dynamic Lighting &nbsp;&lt;&lt;&lt; System Requirements &amp; Best Practices Image Guidelines for Marketplace Assets &nbsp; Best Practices for Files on Roll20 &nbsp; Optimizing Roll20 Performance &nbsp;

Edited 1659749360
So I don't suppose we'll ever get a fix for the EXTREMELY jagged lines created by Ultimate Dynamic Lighting?

Edited 1659775537
David
Sheet Author
Kaiju K. said: So I don't suppose we'll ever get a fix for the EXTREMELY jagged lines created by Ultimate Dynamic Lighting? They have ignored any report regarding it so far so probably not. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10436272/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10436272/</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9742765/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9742765/</a>
File a Help Center request and mention ALL those threads in it! Sadly it is the only way to contact Roll20 Team reliably as they only look in this forum from time to time! David said: Kaiju K. said: So I don't suppose we'll ever get a fix for the EXTREMELY jagged lines created by Ultimate Dynamic Lighting? They have ignored any report regarding it so far so probably not. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10436272/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10436272/</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9742765/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9742765/</a>
JUST tested out a few things: On an EMPTY MAP "Verbergen" (hide) seems to REVEAL things as the area is revealed in a lighter shade of grey! ALSO (as you can clearly see) this menu gets NOT fully translated! Some parts are English, some are - in this case - German! There is little to NO contrast at all, so it is a nuissance to see, which one is active right now! The fact that "Explorable Darkness" can NOT be activated if "Explorer Mode" is turned off makes me think: WHY IS THIS OPTION THERE IF YOU CANNOT USE IT?! THEN: Color Picker for Dynamic Lighting Layer (and ONLY for that Layer)! VS.: Color Picker for EVERYTHING ELSE... For working with SCRIPTS (Doorknob for example), the STANDARD COLOR PICKER would be much better to use as this Script REQUIRES certain colors to work! But as can be seen in the recent "MP4 &amp; Video" Preview, they are going to implement the DL color Picker even for Profiles... It's just annoying to use!
Redd Killian
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I know that I am a broken record here, this isnt feedback but I am looking for info on the state of the doors &amp; windows dynamic lightning update, not seeing any mention anywhere.&nbsp;

Edited 1660163100
But as can be seen in the recent "MP4 &amp; Video" Preview, they are going to implement the DL color Picker even for Profiles... It's just annoying to use! +1 agreement on this! I've worked with other applications (partial menu shown below) with color pickers that allowed all three &nbsp;options: A panel like the one currently used for the DL layer with 16M color granularity AND &nbsp;a side bar showing a pallet with basic colors (like the one currently used everywhere else) AND a dialog box to input hex or RGB values.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't mind multiple color pickers, but I do like at least one option to have swatches. It makes for consistency that facilitates Mod scripting, for instance. Doorknocker requires specific colors, for instance. I have requested this to be restored a number of times.
Hi all - having a consistent issue with DL, hoping this is a good place to ask questions. I'm getting these weird random triangles of fog in places where there aren't barriers. Moving/redoing the barriers does nothing, I've cleared my cache, hardware acceleration and OpenGL are enabled, messed with PC vision, and tried restarting my computer. Players see the issue too, and it's pretty annoying. I am on a Mac using Chrome, thinking that's the issue as before on a PC I did not have this problem. Should I just not use Pro on my Mac? Some pictures of the problem are attached. Any help is appreciated!&nbsp;
Hi, Dungeon Master. Are you on Legacy Dynamic Lighting (LDL) or Updated Dynamic Lighting (UDL)? If it's LDL, the fix for unwanted artifacts like the one in your screenshot is to replace closed polygons on the dynamic lighting layer with open paths. I believe there is a script for that, if you don't want to do it manually. If you're using UDL, then this is more of a mystery.
Sarah R. Cohen said: If it's LDL, the fix for unwanted artifacts like the one in your screenshot is to replace closed polygons on the dynamic lighting layer with open paths. I believe there is a script for that, if you don't want to do it manually. Can you please provide a link to said script?&nbsp; I currently use LDL, and am having the same issues; a new occurrence, never had it happen before.&nbsp; Can't really utilize UDL at the moment, due to hardware restrictions (yes, a very old laptop).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Chad B. said: Sarah R. Cohen said: If it's LDL, the fix for unwanted artifacts like the one in your screenshot is to replace closed polygons on the dynamic lighting layer with open paths. I believe there is a script for that, if you don't want to do it manually. Can you please provide a link to said script?&nbsp; I currently use LDL, and am having the same issues; a new occurrence, never had it happen before.&nbsp; Can't really utilize UDL at the moment, due to hardware restrictions (yes, a very old laptop). Hi Chad! It's a tiny little scriptlet written by the inestimable David M., and you can find it here .
Rick A. said: But as can be seen in the recent "MP4 &amp; Video" Preview, they are going to implement the DL color Picker even for Profiles... It's just annoying to use! +1 agreement on this! I've worked with other applications (partial menu shown below) with color pickers that allowed all three &nbsp;options: A panel like the one currently used for the DL layer with 16M color granularity AND &nbsp;a side bar showing a pallet with basic colors (like the one currently used everywhere else) AND a dialog box to input hex or RGB values. I really support this. Current color picker us unusable if you want to re-use colors.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Chad B. said: Sarah R. Cohen said: If it's LDL, the fix for unwanted artifacts like the one in your screenshot is to replace closed polygons on the dynamic lighting layer with open paths. I believe there is a script for that, if you don't want to do it manually. Can you please provide a link to said script?&nbsp; I currently use LDL, and am having the same issues; a new occurrence, never had it happen before.&nbsp; Can't really utilize UDL at the moment, due to hardware restrictions (yes, a very old laptop). Hi Chad! It's a tiny little scriptlet written by the inestimable David M., and you can find it here . Note that the specific LDL bug behavior has always been a phantom diagonal line running from one point on a DL closed polygon (where the start pt = end pt) up to the upper left corner of the map. I can't be certain that is what is happening from your screenshot.&nbsp; If that is just a straight line path object on your map and not a closed polygon, then the script will not help and you've got something else going on. Let's hope that is the issue, though. Finally, FWIW I also wrapped up the "open polygon" feature into my PathEditor script, in case you wanted some fries with your order. It has additional functionality to edit the points of any path object without having to manually delete and redraw.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Good point. Seeing the DL layer setup with blockers and lightsources would be a help.
Me and one of my groups discovered a somewhat critical issue with Dynamic Lighting with walls set to restrict movement... or rather what happens if you setup those walls and then choose to downgrade your account to a free one at a later date. Since without a subscription you lose access to the options to disable the walls restricting movement and the layer to delete the walls. If you were playing a game that had maps with the wall collision setup, the players will no longer be able to move their tokens very much and the GM/DM will be required to constantly drag the players through walls/doors... which I can tell you on a module like Dungeon of the Mad Mage is hellishly annoying. The developers may need to look into a way to force the toggle for walls restricting movement to be automatically disabled when an account's subscription ends. (I've submitted a report to the help centre about the issue, so hopefully someone picks it up)

Edited 1660855618
Since without a subscription you lose access to the options to disable the walls restricting movement and the layer to delete the walls. It makes sense that the expiration of a paid membership means that you can no longer to access the Dynamic Lighting Layer, but I am surprised that you can't turn off movement restriction for the barriers drawn on the layer you can no longer reach. If you scroll down on the Page Settings tab, is the Movement slider available to you, or has it disappeared? If the Movement slider is not there, I agree that it should be restored for free members, for exacly the use case you mention. Or make it possible to copy a map page WITHOUT copying the lighting. Or disable movement restriction altogether for GMs who have no access to the barriers that are restricting the movement.
David
Sheet Author
Has UDL broken global illumination in LDL ?
Sarah R. Cohen said: Since without a subscription you lose access to the options to disable the walls restricting movement and the layer to delete the walls. If you scroll down on the Page Settings tab, is the Movement slider available to you, or has it disappeared? Totally agree that it's fine to not have access to the layer when you're not paying, just really surprised that stuff on the layer that was previously setup on a Pro account is still actively being processed on a free account. I guess it was a bit of an oversight as not a lot of people cancel their subscription mid campaign. The option is gone from the page settings when you no longer have a subscription: Hopefully I don't have to wait until my household bills stabilise and I can afford to renew my subscription for the walls of my DotMM campaign to stop being an issue... we're on floor 10 out of 23/24, so lots of walls to go through.

Edited 1660895518
The option is gone from the page settings when you no longer have a subscription: Dang! That's annoying. You shouldn't have to put up with irremovable barriers; I hope this is fixed in the future. Thank you for warning people: it seems that, before one's subscription expires, it is important to turn movement restriction off on all pages; otherwise you're stuck with your choice until you can get someone at Roll20 to adjust your game settings for you. That said, I'm hopeful regarding your ticket to the Help Center; they should be able to turn movement restriction off in your game without too much trouble. Edit: Here's hoping on that wee if-statement, Andrew P.
Fingers crossed it's something that would be easy to fix by throwing in a tiny bit of code into the Roll20 environment when it launches, something like: IF AccountLevel = "Free" Then Set WallsRestrictMovement.Value = False End IF
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hi folks, just wanted to confirm that today we've fixed the issue where people whose subscription had ended still had restrict movement enabled on their maps. Note that you'll need to turn it back on if you choose to subscribe again. Thanks!
Ashton said: Hi folks, just wanted to confirm that today we've fixed the issue where people whose subscription had ended still had restrict movement enabled on their maps. Note that you'll need to turn it back on if you choose to subscribe again. Thanks! Thanks&nbsp; Ashton &amp; the team&nbsp; for implementing that fix, also a big thanks to Miles who gave me a temporary Pro subscription so that I could fix the issue on my game while the matter was being raised with the dev team.

Edited 1661646447
BUG REPORT Using LDL we are seeing names through walls? Any fix for this aside from disabling the name plates? Edit: &nbsp;Enabling the new "hover to show token nameplate and bar overlay" setting helps, but it's still a bug when that's off.
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: BUG REPORT Using LDL we are seeing names through walls? Any fix for this aside from disabling the name plates? Edit: &nbsp;Enabling the new "hover to show token nameplate and bar overlay" setting helps, but it's still a bug when that's off. LDL is no longer supported as of 2021. Officially, it is a 'use at your own risk' option.&nbsp; My suggestion might be covering it with Fog of War, I haven't tested it but FoW+LDL should still block the tokens.&nbsp;

Edited 1661711620
Gauss said: LDL is no longer supported as of 2021. Officially, it is a 'use at your own risk' option.&nbsp; My suggestion might be covering it with Fog of War, I haven't tested it but FoW+LDL should still block the tokens.&nbsp; This is the first game breaking change to LDL that I am aware of. It seems to have been introduced with the aforementioned toggle.&nbsp; Is this the official stance of Roll20 that it will not be fixed? Edit: I tested basic fog and advanced fog and it doesn't fix the issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There was an earlier game breaker with LDL concerning open paths and lines drawn by the freehand tool. They were not fixed, but users needed to work around them. I don't know what the official stance is, but I haven't seen anything to make me think they will mess with that code again. However... Have you tried checking with a&nbsp; Dummy Account ? The visibility of nameplates through regular Fog of War seems to be only on the GM side: This is a player view:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I do see the nameplates without FoW, though. ATM, LDL by itself no longer appears to be a viable way of hiding tokens. The new token nameplate interface is still being tweaked however, so this could change.
keithcurtis said: I do see the nameplates without FoW, though. ATM, LDL by itself no longer appears to be a viable way of hiding tokens. The new token nameplate interface is still being tweaked however, so this could change. Thanks for taking a look Keith!
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: Gauss said: LDL is no longer supported as of 2021. Officially, it is a 'use at your own risk' option.&nbsp; My suggestion might be covering it with Fog of War, I haven't tested it but FoW+LDL should still block the tokens.&nbsp; This is the first game breaking change to LDL that I am aware of. It seems to have been introduced with the aforementioned toggle.&nbsp; Is this the official stance of Roll20 that it will not be fixed? Edit: I tested basic fog and advanced fog and it doesn't fix the issue. re: Official stance of Roll20, I am not Roll20 Staff so cannot speak for them, but a Roll20 staff member who thought a bug was being caused by LDL&nbsp; stated that Roll20 will not guarantee stability or compatibility of LDL as of May 18, 2021. LINK

Edited 1661769050
Strange thing I noticed regarding Explorer Mode: IF explorer mode is set and you place a torch or some other lightsource to the map, this area will be revealed even though you change the radius direclty after! (REALLY Annoying if you want to use the torch that reveals 50 ft. by default!); TESTED with CTRL+L for Player Token with Vision!
Gauss said: re: Official stance of Roll20, I am not Roll20 Staff so cannot speak for them, but a Roll20 staff member who thought a bug was being caused by LDL&nbsp; stated that Roll20 will not guarantee stability or compatibility of LDL as of May 18, 2021. LINK Thanks Gauss, I appreciate you digging up the info. Ugh, I may finally be forced to update :(&nbsp; Fortunately, it looks like most of the major issues have a workaround. Here's to hoping it's not as bad as I fear.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've been using it exclusively&nbsp; for something close to two years now. I've had very little bad experience.
keithcurtis said: I've been using it exclusively&nbsp; for something close to two years now. I've had very little bad experience. It is not bad and works just fine although there are some Bugs to it (minor to major depending on what you are going to use). BUT you need to be careful what you are going to use. As stated, revealed areas with explorer mode enabled stay revealed! Even if you change the radius for placed lightsources later on! It does not update the map...
Visibilty of nameplates through standard FoW is NOT only on the GM side! Just tested it with a token that has See permission enabled and can be controlled by all players. Token itself is hidden behind FoW as can be seen in the Screenshot below (Players perspective!) Option to display Nameplate / Bars on Hover is NOT enabled and as it is a group token, there are no Bars to it. Since no DL is used, Players can move the token all they want across the map while only being able to see portions of the map revealed for them! keithcurtis said: There was an earlier game breaker with LDL concerning open paths and lines drawn by the freehand tool. They were not fixed, but users needed to work around them. I don't know what the official stance is, but I haven't seen anything to make me think they will mess with that code again. However... Have you tried checking with a&nbsp; Dummy Account ? The visibility of nameplates through regular Fog of War seems to be only on the GM side: This is a player view:
TheMarkus1204 said: Visibilty of nameplates through standard FoW is NOT only on the GM side! Just tested it with a token that has See permission enabled and can be controlled by all players. Token itself is hidden behind FoW as can be seen in the Screenshot below (Players perspective!) Option to display Nameplate / Bars on Hover is NOT enabled and as it is a group token, there are no Bars to it. Since no DL is used, Players can move the token all they want across the map while only being able to see portions of the map revealed for them! Is that on UDL as well? If so, there may be hope for LDL picking up the fix :D&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: Visibilty of nameplates through standard FoW is NOT only on the GM side! Just tested it with a token that has See permission enabled and can be controlled by all players. Token itself is hidden behind FoW as can be seen in the Screenshot below (Players perspective!) If you can control it, you can see it, even through fog of war. This has not changed.

Edited 1661812623
Titus
Plus
UDL was making my PC crawl. Got a new computer and will be giving it a whirl tomorrow night. So far, so good!

Edited 1661831364
Gauss
Forum Champion
Titus said: UDL was making my PC crawl. Got a new computer and will be giving it a whirl tomorrow night. So far, so good! Just a note: Explorer Mode still causes issues for many folks on older computers, so if you still have issues with UDL and you are using Explorer Mode, try turning that off.&nbsp;
I know of that issue but I love EM too much to not use it. It’s a new Macbook now so I’m not TOO worried… Gauss said: Titus said: UDL was making my PC crawl. Got a new computer and will be giving it a whirl tomorrow night. So far, so good! Just a note: Explorer Mode still causes issues for many folks on older computers, so if you still have issues with UDL and you are using Explorer Mode, try turning that off.&nbsp;
It was changed! Before the recent changes you just saw nothing else but black until the GM started revealing areas! You could move your token, yes, but the nameplate was hidden behind FoW! keithcurtis said: TheMarkus1204 said: Visibilty of nameplates through standard FoW is NOT only on the GM side! Just tested it with a token that has See permission enabled and can be controlled by all players. Token itself is hidden behind FoW as can be seen in the Screenshot below (Players perspective!) If you can control it, you can see it, even through fog of war. This has not changed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: It was changed! Before the recent changes you just saw nothing else but black until the GM started revealing areas! You could move your token, yes, but the nameplate was hidden behind FoW! keithcurtis said: TheMarkus1204 said: Visibilty of nameplates through standard FoW is NOT only on the GM side! Just tested it with a token that has See permission enabled and can be controlled by all players. Token itself is hidden behind FoW as can be seen in the Screenshot below (Players perspective!) If you can control it, you can see it, even through fog of war. This has not changed. It's entirely possible I'm confused on this or remembering an earlier time. The documentation might be describing an older behavior.
TheMarkus1204 said: It was changed! Before the recent changes you just saw nothing else but black until the GM started revealing areas! You could move your token, yes, but the nameplate was hidden behind FoW! My goodness, this should be fixed ASAP! And totally not because it may fix LDL too, and delay my update to UDL a while longer! Did I say that outloud?&nbsp;

Edited 1661891125
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: My goodness, this should be fixed ASAP! And totally not because it may fix LDL too, and delay my update to UDL a while longer! Did I say that outloud?&nbsp; To clarify, only tokens the players control have names and health bars show up through Fog of War and UDL are ones the players control.&nbsp; Do you have a use case where players should control tokens and not see their own bars and nameplates? If so, could you provide an example?
Thing is, before this change, you saw the nameplate after the portion of the map was revealed BUT it gets obscurred if you move it to an area still unrevealed... same for token bars... this is why there is confusion around this change... Personally, I really liked it the way it was before: Token AND nameplate hidden behind standard FoW. Token can be selected and moved around if players are able to find their tokens on black map but this can be circumvented by locking tokens in place... TheWebCoder said: TheMarkus1204 said: It was changed! Before the recent changes you just saw nothing else but black until the GM started revealing areas! You could move your token, yes, but the nameplate was hidden behind FoW! My goodness, this should be fixed ASAP! And totally not because it may fix LDL too, and delay my update to UDL a while longer! Did I say that outloud?&nbsp;
I am having major issues with dynamic lighting and it has become unusable. Even a map that is 25 x 25 with just three large rooms, no extra stuff, barely any lines is so laggy and jerking around that it takes almost 5 mins to move a token, open it's character sheet and roll a single attack. This problem does not exist on any other map without dynamic lighting, even a map I have that is 85 x 56 loaded with tokens has no issues. This completely wrecks all caves, mazes, castles etc, anything in doors that my party has to go through. I have looked into all the trouble shooting or suggestions and even deleted half my NPC character sheets, nothing improves it. Only 2 tabs on browser and discord running on comp. I've been using dynamic lighting for the whole campaign, since it was launched / renamed from fog of war, no issues until last 2 weeks.&nbsp; Why is dynamic lighting a brick now?&nbsp;