Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Hey Kryx. Thanks for all the effort you put into this. I've been keeping tabs on the Pro forum discussion about the latest changes to Roll20, and how it will be impacting the 5e shaped sheet. I'm playing on the regular server, but I have read about how there is a big risk of data loss with the new updates in the future. I'm just wondering if it is suggested that everyone backs up their character sheets before this happens, and if so, when is the latest we should do that by to avoid any potential issues? Additionally, what is the fastest method of backing up the character sheet? I believe, perhaps incorrectly?, that backing the sheets up to another game would have the same issue of data being erased if Roll20 flips the switch?

Edited 1447806385
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please, no more roll20 subscription donations! I have enough for a good while. Thank you, really. @James: NPC actions seem like they will break. I cannot fix them fully. Seemingly the best I can do is have them be ported over without the toggles clicked (which sucks). I'll see if I can come up with anything better. It seems they are also not giving any kind of transition plan to repeating which means there is little reason to work on it as all my imported NPCs would be invalidated (though I could reimport them all, but that's an annoying task for everyone). Also everything I outlined there would be lost (inventory, weapons, etc). Without me breaking it data won't be lost besides NPC actions which I can hopefully fix, but we'll see.
For sure, thanks for a great character sheet, Kryx. Hey, any thoughts on why I might be getting an error when trying to fire a ranged weapon?  I've got the 5e-shaped-scripts.js installed.  It runs fine until it has to decrement the ammo.  At least, that seems to be the common theme.  By the way, is there a readme, wiki or whatever about that script?  Thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Craig: I'm going to focus on the sheet's newer version as I believe the ammo system will change to work. FYI: Old weapons will be removed in order to cut down on attributes. You have until the new version goes live to fix this.
OK, sounds good, Kryx.  Thank you for a great sheet!
Kryx said: Please, no more roll20 subscription donations! I have enough for a good while. Thank you, really. @James: NPC actions seem like they will break. I cannot fix them fully. Seemingly the best I can do is have them be ported over without the toggles clicked (which sucks). I'll see if I can come up with anything better. It seems they are also not giving any kind of transition plan to repeating which means there is little reason to work on it as all my imported NPCs would be invalidated (though I could reimport them all, but that's an annoying task for everyone). Also everything I outlined there would be lost (inventory, weapons, etc). Without me breaking it data won't be lost besides NPC actions which I can hopefully fix, but we'll see. So Mark, are you now chained to Roll20 for the next 15 years or what?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Brian said: So Mark, are you now chained to Roll20 for the next 15 years or what? Hopefully he'll be let off the hook come D&D 6th Edition. :)
I'm playing a custom spell caster class with the character sheet. I've noticed that my spell casting stat's bonus is being added to damage rolls.  Is there a way to stop it adding such to damage rolls?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scroll just a few posts up - it's a bug that will be fixed in the next release.
Silvyre said: Brian said: So Mark, are you now chained to Roll20 for the next 15 years or what? Hopefully he'll be let off the hook come D&D 6th Edition. :) You make it sound like it's hard work for Kryx. How hard can it be maintaining the most popular character sheet for the most popular Roleplaying Game on the most popular online platform for tabletop roleplaying games? Oh . I see your point.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Since I've made it apparent in another thread I thought I'd share it here as well: The character sheet will likely undergo a larger revamp soon. The plan is to use sheetworkers to do any conversion of PCs/Monsters. If that doesn't work I'll offer a v2 of the sheet and a script to convert all.
I'm looking forward to it! I have a question about the current sheet and the way weapon quick actions work. We've had some odd behavior with 3D dice. Sometimes just the second D20 and the damage dice show, sometimes just the damage dice show. We don't get both D20 (adv/disadv) and the damage dice. Spells don't seem to have that problem. To be clear, that's the 3D dice seen on the map. In chat, all the output is there. Is that specific to how weapons work in the current sheet? Have others seen this? And is it fixed in the new sheet?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I just roll dice. How roll20 rolls 3D dice and determines which ones stay around is on their side. I've heard bugs from the beginning, but I have little control over what is shown. Maybe there is some small error though.
Hey, I have been running into a problem with your sheet. This has been happening since yesterday. My monk has linked his class actions to his melee attack, as you can see. When we use them separatley they work just fine, but when we link them they don't. The strange thing is that the melee macro works about once every minute (as seen in the link). We only have this problem with one character sheet although our fighter is linking two class actions to his melee attack as well and it works fine for him. Creating a new character sheet hasn't helped. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and you can help me.

Edited 1449230705
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hey Jimmy, Nothing has changed on the sheet in a while (you can see the version number at the top). So if it is an issue that is recent and wasn't happening before I'd suggest you raise it to roll20 in the bugs forum to see if they changed anything. To me it looks like roll20 just isn't parsing the square brackets. Though I find the multiattack approach weird. For instance monk can make 1-2 melee attacks and then 1-2 unarmed attacks depending on flurry of blows. At 1-5 it's 1 attack and 1-2 unarmed. At 6+ it's 2 melee and 1-2 unarmed. Always outputting flurry even if it isn't used seems silly to me. The whole multiattack approach is weird to me. People are resistant to viewing them as separate attacks (which they are). I can see the desire to have all attacks in one roll template, but roll templates are quite restrictive. I would suggest using a macro that calls them all for now. Similar to how I do NPC multiattack. %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_3_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_0_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_1_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_1_action} Maybe at some point roll templates can be better expanded for multiattack (I'd love to hear ideas). The current code i have in there for extra 5 attacks on the same template isn't great.

Edited 1449254977
Silvyre
Forum Champion
C.P. Jimmy said: Hey, I have been running into a problem with your sheet. This has been happening since yesterday. I'm certain this isn't an issue with the Shaped sheet—I think it's an outstanding issue with the parser, and I think it can be mitigated/prevented by padding the inline roll brackets with spaces, i.e. [[1d20]] → [[ 1d20 ]].
Silvyre is correct.  Pad the rolls with spaces and it should fix the issue.

Edited 1449353148
Hey Kryx, I love your work. But I'm having an issue wherein it is sometimes taking 5+ seconds to load a character sheet. The worst case scenario, I have a player who's sheet takes 8 seconds (every single time) and 10 seconds on the initial load. I'm not really sure what is going on, but it's gotten to the point where I, as the GM, just don't even bother opening character sheets anymore in the game. My players are also noticing this as well, and it happens even if I disable all scripts. Here's a GIF of what's happening: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/Qahil1y.gifv" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/Qahil1y.gifv</a> Will the sheet workers update resolve these issues?

Edited 1449354167
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
James, this is documented a few pages ago in this thread. It is due to the number of attributes and how roll20 calculates them. It will slowly improve in the future, but to switch to the new system is a ton of work. Currently I'm waiting on Aaron to do some work there and then I'll switch to repeating which will help some, but implementing SheetWorkers on this sheet is hundreds of hours of work and likely won't be done for quite a while. I'd happily accept pull requests if anyone else wants to work on that. I would suggest opening the character sheet you need at the start of the game/start of combat and it's a non-issue. Side note: The sheets have always been this slow. Even the legacy 5e sheet is nearly as slow. Both slow down significantly with the number of spells (the biggest increase in number of attributes).
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Kryx said: Since I've made it apparent in another thread I thought I'd share it here as well: The character sheet will likely undergo a larger revamp soon. The plan is to use sheetworkers to do any conversion of PCs/Monsters. If that doesn't work I'll offer a v2 of the sheet and a script to convert all. Hi Kryx, Any idea of approximately when this revamp of the sheet and importer script will be?. I'm wondering if I should wait until that's done to ask my players to fill them (and create the monsters) in case they become obsolete soon. Thank you! Nick
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Don't delay. If you make it now it'll work in the future. It will convert. The switch won't happen until Aaron fixes roll20s system so I can switch to repeating w/o ignoring data.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Excellent, thank you Kryx!
All the sheets in my campaign are currently missing their ability modifiers on the core section of the sheet, and I'm not seeing the calculations for saving throws. Reentering the ability scores fixes the stat displays, but has no effect on saves. What is going on? I have the Dec 8th version (but everything was fine last session on the 9th??).

Edited 1450199016
Justin R. said: All the sheets in my campaign are currently missing their ability modifiers on the core section of the sheet, and I'm not seeing the calculations for saving throws. Reentering the ability scores fixes the stat displays, but has no effect on saves. What is going on? I have the Dec 8th version (but everything was fine last session on the 9th??). Having the same problem, was looking on this thread for any change. If you enable 3D dice, you can see attack rolls, but no mods on it. It also doesn't denote which one is the first roll. EDIT: It also seems to have affected prior rolls, where you only see damage.
So, I kept poking at the sheets, and changing the Saves and Skill Checks section under bonuses and penalties then reverting it to 0 seems to have fixed all my sheets. I don't know how that would do anything to all my sheets though… I was seeing NaN results for my *_save_mod macros while playing with it.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You should not be using the latest sheet yet untill roll20 dev goes live. Revert to the default sheet on roll20 until that goes live.
How do I do that? I don't update my sheet manually.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It looks like roll20 went live with the new version. It looks like sheet workers works incredibly slow/doesn't work. I only did it on the ability mods. I will have to revert that part.
Kryx said: It looks like roll20 went live with the new version. It looks like sheet workers works incredibly slow/doesn't work. I only did it on the ability mods. I will have to revert that part. Alright, when should we expect a working sheet again?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Live is up to roll20. I will do my best to fix the issue within the next hour or two and then email steve.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have reverted the SheetWorkers part and it works in my test. I have email Steve. I will post again when it is live. Otherwise Pro users can do it now.

Edited 1450203833
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Kryx said: I have reverted the SheetWorkers part and it works in my test. I have email Steve. I will post again when it is live. Otherwise Pro users can do it now. It's live. Can you email me whatever you emailed Steve? He's not in yet and I want to make sure any outstanding issues are taken care of. Thanks. (My email is <a href="mailto:riley@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">riley@roll20.net</a> ).

Edited 1450204527
Riley D. said: Kryx said: I have reverted the SheetWorkers part and it works in my test. I have email Steve. I will post again when it is live. Otherwise Pro users can do it now. It's live. Can you email me whatever you emailed Steve? He's not in yet and I want to make sure any outstanding issues are taken care of. Thanks. (My email is <a href="mailto:riley@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">riley@roll20.net</a> ). I'm currently seeing issues with both weapon and spell attack rolls. Neither is appearing when the macro is activated, otherwise the macro appears correctly. When I try to activate them from the core section of the sheet I get this message: "No attribute was found for @{Narvoth|repeating_weapons_melee_0_macro_options}" or similar and only the title of the action appears. The rest of the sheet seems fine.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Justin, those are not Roll20's issues, but mine. The macro options is only from quick actions. I will fix. Though even if that is fixed it looks like attack rolls are just not working. Investigating.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pushed another version to roll20. I'd expect it soon. If you can report back with any issues that'd help Justin. Thanks.
Kryx said: Pushed another version to roll20. I'd expect it soon. If you can report back with any issues that'd help Justin. Thanks. No problem, I'll be here for a while today.
What do I have to do to get the new version? Reload roll20?
Koen P. said: What do I have to do to get the new version? Reload roll20? Need to wait for a Roll20 dev to push it. Pro users can get it themselves from what I understand.
Kryx said: Pushed another version to roll20. I'd expect it soon. If you can report back with any issues that'd help Justin. Thanks. Just tried again and it looks to be working now. Can't find any issues. Thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The latest is live. So let me know if you see any issues.
I cant seem to find a spot to put the background on my character sheet, might be because I am half asleep though
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Background tab. "Background features"
Turns out I'm still having issues. Some of my players saves aren't working right. They appear properly in the character sheets but the rolls do not work right. Specifically, @{character|*_save_mod} reports a single (incorrect) number for some characters, and others report something like "3 + 0 + 0 + (0)", and those ones are working properly.

Edited 1450336822
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Justin, have the players who are experiencing the issue adjust each of the ability scores to something else then wait a few seconds and then adjust it back.

Edited 1450368482
Kryx said: Justin, have the players who are experiencing the issue adjust each of the ability scores to something else then wait a few seconds and then adjust it back. Just tried. No effect. Well, the numbers in the sheet changed back and forth, and are the correct numbers. But the rolls are still wrong.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If it is working for some and not others I assume there are some variables in the attributes tab. Strength mod, dex mod, etc. Removing those I think would solve the issue. Send me an invite if you cannot figure it out.
Kryx said: If it is working for some and not others I assume there are some variables in the attributes tab. Strength mod, dex mod, etc. Removing those I think would solve the issue. Send me an invite if you cannot figure it out. Yep, there were variables exactly as described. Deleted them and they started functioning properly. Thanks!
Out of Curiousity Kryx, which sections have you edited for their new sheet worker repeating sections? Just abilities?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nothing. I'm waiting on Aaron's system to be done so I can convert weapons, actions, inventory, and custom skills to repeating without users losing data. After that maybe sheetworkers, but that's a lot of hours that I don't have right now.. If anyone wants to help I'll accept pull requests.
mmm I can imagine... Dunno I imagine the repeating section is more an exercise in tedium than difficulty. I'll see if I can find free time.