Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Edited 1452763236
@Kryx One thing I've been working on is giving options for those in my party who want to declutter their character sheet. I've added switches to the 'options' tab which allow you to optionally hide certain elements. I'm not sure if this is suitable for the upstream sheet at all, but figured I'd share in case it may be. The settings added: And the result for that player's spell sheet: (target/aoe textarea size changes unrelated) And what it looked liked originally: This really helps to optionally declutter a lot of stuff that either isn't applicable to a class (such as sorc points), is only needed when making changes (such as the Description toggle button), or is unhelpful for specific circumstances (players with few spells get little benefit from the spell filter buttons). As far as implementation, I've added hidden checkboxes to the 'flags' template. The same checkboxes are then re-represented on the Settings tab. Toggling the checkbox off/on will cause the roll20 stuff to also toggle the hidden checkbox. This allows me CSS selection control over the sheet from within the Settings tab. Link to the changes is below. If you think this may be suitable for the main sheet, lemme know and I'll toss a PR your way. <a href="https://github.com/alienth/roll20-character-sheets/commit/4e2cd65f2e6a86ca72b8f7ad88c5a94d401e4c6d" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/alienth/roll20-character-sheets/commit/4e2cd65f2e6a86ca72b8f7ad88c5a94d401e4c6d</a> Cheers!
As a side note, duplicating the checkboxes can also allow you to structure the elements however you want without having to worry about reachability for selectors. I've been tinkering with putting a bunch of the checkbox stuff within &lt;li&gt;s and placing the hidden checkbox wherever it needs to apply. Not sure this will scale well, though. It also depends on specific roll20 behaviour (duplicate checkboxes updating each other), which may change in the future.

Edited 1452763447
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Checkboxes should always update eachother as they reference the same value in the model. Though there may be a performance issue of adding more attributes so we shouldn't add them unless we need them. I love what you have - I would definitely design the spell page a bit differently now. Character sheets can be rather limiting, but definitely could do it a bit better. Though I think I'd prefer these toggles on the spells page itself. They could be at the top under a "display settings" that shows and hides this setting section. Other items like sorting could go in there as well. It'd probably be best to style them to match then. Thoughts?
I'd also like to have these on the spell page, it would be easier if you want to change things. Could you also add a toggle to show Sorcery points/Warlock slots below the spell slot table on the core tab ?

Edited 1452807461
@Kryx Hi. I am a pro user and can't get the ammo function to work. You mentioned a script several times, what exactly do you mean. These boards are not easy to navigate and I tried searching for it like 3 hours (off and on mind you). Could you please help me. Awesome stuff btw on the sheet! Thanks
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ammo only works if you have the API of mine installed I haven't gotten around to converting it to SheetWorkers.
Which API is that, Kryx? :D Sorry to be such a drag
Silvyre
Forum Champion
D&D 5e Shaped NPC & Spell Importer
Thanks. Been past that like 1000 times...
When I use the "Inspect Element" tool in Chrome, do I use the info between the quotation marks for macros?

Edited 1452817264
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Look for name="roll_ BUTTONNAME " %{Character Name| BUTTONNAME }
Silvyre said: Look for name="roll_ BUTTONNAME " %{Character Name| BUTTONNAME } That works! Thanks!

Edited 1452836124
@Kryx Took a stab at putting them at the top. Whatcha think?
As a big fan of organizing my sheets I like this additional option very much. Good work! Would love to see these on the mainsheet for non-pro noobs like myself :)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason H. said: @Kryx Took a stab at putting them at the top. Whatcha think? This looks great! Put that in a pull request and I'll put it through. The spacing on the "Dashboard" button looks a bit off, but I can fix that.
is there a way to turn the 'in-sheet' macros for attacks/spells/saves into ones characters can use as token macros? can they be called? with their formating and all?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Yeah; every sheet button has an Ability call (e.g. %{Character Name|Button Name}). You can get a sheet button's name by dragging it to the Macro Quick Bar, or by using your browser's element inspector (as described a few posts up, on this thread's page). Once you get a button's Ability call, you can save it as a new Ability and set that Ability to be a Token Action.
I am absolutely in love with this character sheet, especially for the NPCs. Everything is so quick to fill out and all the information I need is available at a quick glance right on the core page. Amazing job! I do have one dumb question though... I looked for an answer but didn't see one. When rolling an attack roll for an NPC, there are two rolls being made each time. Is the second roll supposed to be an advantage/disadvantage roll? Is there any way to toggle that on or off?
Silvyre said: Yeah; every sheet button has an Ability call (e.g. %{Character Name|Button Name}). You can get a sheet button's name by dragging it to the Macro Quick Bar, or by using your browser's element inspector (as described a few posts up, on this thread's page). Once you get a button's Ability call, you can save it as a new Ability and set that Ability to be a Token Action. Or you can check the wiki which should have most of them. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Shaped_Character_Sheet#Using_Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Shaped_Character_Sheet#Using_Macros</a> H
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
Hey Kryx, Out of interest, (approximately) how do you think the SheetWorkers might be used? I might be able to find some time to help out and I have players who are particularly affected by the weight of the current sheet (magic users with slow computers!). Looking briefly at how they work, I can't say it's obvious to me where they would best be used. The documentation on the wiki suggests using them for things like core attribute modifiers (rarely changed: don't need regular recalculation), but in some ways this looks like one of the worst places to use SheetWorkers - these are values that there's almost no reason to edit manually so having them disabled is good; the calculation is pretty simple even without JS; and there are only a handful of attributes so they probably don't contribute much to the slow-down. I'm also concerned about the fact that (AIUI) the SheetWorkers aren't triggered by anything that the API does, so introducing lots of SheetWorker stuff potentially limits the flexibility of the sheet for people wishing to add behaviour using the API - e.g. I wrote something that implemented the Mage Armor spell by adding/activating an entry in the armor page, but this obviously won't work as intended if AC is calculated by a SheetWorker (AC seems like a good candidate given how horrific the expression is at the moment...) I guess perhaps calculations in/around repeating sections (spells, inventory, weapons, etc) would be a good place to start, since numerically those most be the bulk of the calculation load at the moment... but I suppose &nbsp;that would best wait until you implement the new repeating sections stuff... I've been rather out of the loop so I'm not really sure what it is that Aaron is supposed to be working on to make this easier Any thoughts on how best to approach this/where would be the best place to start? Cheers

Edited 1452890944
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Lucian H. said: Out of interest, (approximately) how do you think the SheetWorkers might be used? I might be able to find some time to help out and I have players who are particularly affected by the weight of the current sheet (magic users with slow computers!). Nice to haves : Things like ammo auto deducting or hit dice automatically deducting 1 from the total or spell usage automatically deducting 1 from the spell slots. Performace auto updates : The goal should be to reduce the total number of attributes. Specifically auto calc attributes. So attributes which then branch out and are used hundreds of places. You'd have to duplicate that functionality with js. So for example if you update dexterity value you'd have to update dexterity&nbsp;mod which would also be used on acrobatics, ac, initiative, on all weapons, on all NPC actions, etc, etc. It's a huge amount of work. A few months ago I looked into implementing it, but found their sheetworkers system to be incredibly hard to be modular. Obviously I'd like to use functions to break down pieces so I can repeat them, but the way it was setup made that practically impossible. The example 13th age sheet they gave was so tiny and done in such a linear fashion that it would be horrendously complicated to implement that model in any bigger sheet. The reason they suggest to replace auto-calc fields is because they loop through every single one when checking for changes. It's crazy. They really should've fixed that model instead of requiring this extra work.. Performance reduce amount of attributes : This should be a big goal as that is the reason the sheet is slow (that plus the recalculating above). This can be somewhat mitigated via changing all areas to repeating, but to do that I need sheetworkers setup to convert the current sheets for all users. That means inventory, weapons, actions, etc.&nbsp;Though as you note I can't do this as roll20 didn't support saving the data of current users and Aaron hasn't gotten around to it (totally understandable). I wondered if it's possible to setup spells in sheetworkers now that 5e has released a SRD, but no idea if roll20 is equipped for that. Honestly it seems like a mountain of a task to work with such a poorly designed system with results that still won't be anything near ideal. That's why I'm entirely unmotivated to fix it. Maybe checking out how the new PF sheet does it would help. Or start a chat with "Chris" who I think is the main contributor.
I am not much of a coder, but I would be more than happy to help test any changes, scripts, or even be a copy/paste/minor editing monkey.
I apologize for asking what is probably a very simple question, but I've spent several hours trying to sift through this and other threads to no avail (having ZERO programming experience certainly doesn't help).&nbsp; If I want to create an NPC mook that randomly rolls HP from scratch, how do I do this? Every time I draft up the character sheet and connect a default token, the best I can do is what I've always had: a token with the same amount of HP every time. I am manually entering in the stats and actions into the sheet.&nbsp; Also, I currently have about 400 NPCs fully fleshed out in the "standard" 5e character sheet (not shaped). Is there any way to transfer these over in a simple manner, or will I effectively have to start entering them in from scratch again (although at least the NPC importer that you have put in will help).&nbsp; Thank you for this amazing piece of work. I am amazed by your dedication and skill. I apologize again if my question is rudimentary.&nbsp;
Adam G. said: If I want to create an NPC mook that randomly rolls HP from scratch, how do I do this? &nbsp; Assuming you're running Kryx's 5e Shaped scripts, you'll want to make sure you have hit dice assigned to your NPC (took me forever to figure that out). &nbsp;The hit dice section on the core page is in the same place as on the PC core page. As long as you don't have any attributes assigned to Bar 1 on your token, the script should automatically roll the HP for your token. I'd recommend using The Aaron's&nbsp; TokenNameNumber script in conjunction with this. &nbsp;It can number your mobs sequentially as you pull them out.
@Kryx I've tinkered with a similar display options for the core page. One thing bothering me is that the sheet quickly feels lopsided with certain elements turned off. I tried making them transparent instead, but then the sheet just felt a bit scattered with weird gaps. When hiding the quick-attacks, I boosted the size of the resistances fields to make the right column a bit more fleshed out. &nbsp;(Those fields are often quite full for my players, anyways). That helped a bit but still feels off balanced. Thoughts?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ya... the page easily gets lopsided. I'm a bit more iffy on changing that page beyond spells/class actions/resources. Not 100% sure how to handle that. FYI on the spell filters I've fixed the padding stuff. I removed hiding the toggles as I'm likely going to revamp that whole system.
@Kryx Is there a reason PC sheets do not have Effects and saves on their weapon attacks? &nbsp;I know the sheet is geared towards the current classes in the PHB, but I have a few characters that use Psionics which have Ehtereal Weapon, allowing them to force a DEX save by their target, if failed take full damage, if successful they take half damage. It would be awesome if they had the same as the NPC actions. Also, this is just the OCD in me and most of my players, is it possible to add an "other" option to the Actions of NPCs? &nbsp;Sometimes there are things that don;t fall into any of the current categories.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Weapons are meant to cover weapons. I shied away from options like that to prevent people using them for spells. But I'm revamping how it all works soon. For now I'd suggest they create it as a spell. What do you mean other "other"? In what area? Can you give examples?

Edited 1453248449
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Kaelev said: I have a few characters that use Psionics which have Ehtereal Weapon, allowing them to force a DEX save by their target, if failed take full damage, if successful they take half damage. You could plug this into the Dmg Type field(s) of their favored weapon(s): slashing }} ?{Concentrating on Psionic Weapon| Unaugmented, | Ethereal Weapon (1), {{Ethereal Weapon (1)=DC [[ 8 + @{PB} + @{intelligence_mod} ]] Dex (half) | Lethal Strike (*), {{Lethal Strike (?{Psi points spent&amp;#124;1&amp;#124;2&amp;#124;3&amp;#124;4&amp;#124;5&amp;#125;)=[[ ?{Psi points spent&amp;#125;d10 ]] additional damage | Augmented Weapon (5), {{Augmented Weapon (5)=+3 to attack and damage rolls for 1 minute. } }}
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Kryx said: What do you mean other "other"? When I think of an "other" field, I think of a free-form field (linked to an Attribute that is below all others in the Roll Template) for adding customized, additional Roll Template tags, so we don't have to abuse the Dmg Type fields (as above) to add class action type things to a finite number of weapons, spells, etc. :)

Edited 1453249746
Kryx said: Weapons are meant to cover weapons. I shied away from options like that to prevent people using them for spells. But I'm revamping how it all works soon. For now I'd suggest they create it as a spell. What do you mean other "other"? In what area? Can you give examples? On the NPC Traits and Actions tab, with Actions selected, next to the Action name, you have listed: Melee Ranged Thrown Area Cone Line An "other" option to select would be cool. For instance, if I have a gnoll with Rampage, which is a bonus action (pg 163 MM), it can move up to half its speed if it took a target down to 0 HP. &nbsp;It's obviously not any from the options above. &nbsp;I guess you can argue that it's an effect from a melee attack, but for the sake of argument, "other" would be a good catch all.
Silvyre said: Kaelev said: I have a few characters that use Psionics which have Ehtereal Weapon, allowing them to force a DEX save by their target, if failed take full damage, if successful they take half damage. You could plug this into the Dmg Type field(s) of their favored weapon(s): slashing }} ?{Concentrating on Psionic Weapon| Unaugmented, | Ethereal Weapon (1), {{Ethereal Weapon (1)=DC [[ 8 + @{PB} + @{intelligence_mod} ]] Dex (half) | Lethal Strike (*), {{Lethal Strike (?{Psi points spent&#124;1&#124;2&#124;3&#124;4&#124;5&#125;)=[[ ?{Psi points spent&#125;d10 ]] additional damage | Augmented Weapon (5), {{Augmented Weapon (5)=+3 to attack and damage rolls for 1 minute. } }} That is amazing! Thank you! &nbsp;That solves that.
Silvyre said: Kryx said: What do you mean other "other"? When I think of an "other" field, I think of a free-form field (linked to an Attribute that is below all others in the Roll Template) for adding customized, additional Roll Template tags, so we don't have to abuse the Dmg Type fields (as above) to add class action type things to a finite number of weapons, spells, etc. :) +1 I actually do like this as well. &nbsp;Something free form like that would work really well.

Edited 1453286723
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Silvyre said: When I think of an "other" field, I think of a free-form field (linked to an Attribute that is below all others in the Roll Template) for adding customized, additional Roll Template tags, so we don't have to abuse the Dmg Type fields (as above) to add class action type things to a finite number of weapons, spells, etc. :) I will add a free form field to attacks/spells in my revamp so you can stop giving people hacks that may break eventually. :P "Class actions" are a huge pain that I rarely see used and cause problems when switching to repeating sections. I'll likely delay them and see the desire for them. Either that or the revamp has to wait much longer.

Edited 1453289590
I mostly use class actions these days to append bonus reminders for checks and such via the 'output options'. Most of my players have a couple. Not really using them as 'actions'.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ya, they are used in quite weird ways. There definitely needs to be a resource section and likely a section where you can attach an open box to some checks, but they shouldn't be the same system. That second system of attaching though is the hard part with repeating items. We'll see what I can do.
Jason, could I get a link to that sheet. Its really useful for teaching new players how to use this without having too much clutter. :)

Edited 1453397694
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The redesign will have a much less cluttered view. Very very similar to the actual 5e sheet. I'll likely begin a "testing phase" within a week or two if you're able to wait that long Saevar.
Of course Kryx said: The redesign will have a much less cluttered view. Very very similar to the actual 5e sheet. I'll likely begin a "testing phase" within a week or two if you're able to wait that long Saevar. Of course! I did not mean it as a criticism! It is a wonderful sheet but many of my new players who I introduce to it literally just go O_O at it. The idea is to just use a premade default sheet with many of the extra boxes hidden so its easier for them to start with, opening up other areas as they become relevant. I have no problem with waiting :). I merely ask him for a temporary trial start.
Jason H. said: I mostly use class actions these days to append bonus reminders for checks and such via the 'output options'. Most of my players have a couple. Not really using them as 'actions'. I can say we use them for such things as Sneak attack damage and Hunter's Mark extra damage, as examples. We ignore the output if non-applicable. Also used Class action for Dragonborn breath weapon and Fighter Battle Maneuvers and lots more.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oh, I fully agree that it is clutered. Hence the redesign. Though I'll keep nearly all functionality. Class resources: ya we rarely use them for attaching. I'll split resources and attachers in the redesign. Things like fighter maneuvers just need a freeform field which the new "attacks" has so those should be covered.
My one big issue with this sheet is how small the text is compared to other sheets. Is there any way that text size can be added as an option?
ImaginedScenes said: My one big issue with this sheet is how small the text is compared to other sheets. Is there any way that text size can be added as an option? If I may suggest, pop out the character sheet and then use your browser zoom controls to make the page bigger. It will scale accordingly so all fits on the page. In most browsers you can zoom by pressing control and scrolling your mouse (middle) button or by holding control and pressing the plus/equal key on your US keyboard. I am not sure whether there are similar keyboard shortcuts on non US keyboards but this is a google search away. H
Kryx said: Oh, I fully agree that it is clutered. Hence the redesign. Though I'll keep nearly all functionality. Class resources: ya we rarely use them for attaching. I'll split resources and attachers in the redesign. Things like fighter maneuvers just need a freeform field which the new "attacks" has so those should be covered. One thing I'd like in a redesign is for the roll button be moved in front of the skills. &nbsp;It's just a big enough gap that it is hard to line up (My uncharasmatic half-orc barbarian makes a lot of Persuasion rolls when he's been asked to make a Perception check).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Brian, there will be no buttons on the new design it will be similar to the OGL sheet where you click an area. Font size is aimed to be the same as the actual sheet.
Kryx said: The redesign will have a much less cluttered view. Very very similar to the actual 5e sheet. I'll likely begin a "testing phase" within a week or two if you're able to wait that long Saevar. I have a game with 7 players. &nbsp;I'd be willing to give it a shot during your test phase. &nbsp;I'm using your latest version and have been using the 5E Shaped sheet since last July. &nbsp;I'll just copy my game to preserve the other one in case of issues.
Kryx said: Brian, there will be no buttons on the new design it will be similar to the OGL sheet where you click an area. Font size is aimed to be the same as the actual sheet. Oh, that's awesome.
One of my players was adding and editing spells for her character sheet and in the process of doing so, it removed the option to cast them or get info for them.&nbsp; Apparently happens when concentration, V, S, or M is selected, but it never happened before.&nbsp; Is this a bug or something else because its really obnoxious.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hey Jon, sounds like your player has adjusted their filtering options. Have them reset those and all spells will be shown.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
FYI the redesign is coming along nicely.&nbsp;Things left to do: Attacks need saving throw option (the rest is currently calculated by sheetWorkers) fix equipment weight calculations Spells redesign roll template Resources NPCs Import script for spells/monsters based on new format I'll post a new thread and link it here when I'm further along. I'd expect that to be by this weekend. TL;DR: Redesign likely to enter testing phase by this weekend.