Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We've pushed the new Advanced Fog of War feature live. Let us know here any issues you're encountering with the new feature.

Edited 1506527606
First thing i noticed was a huge lag in scrolling around the page which i have turned it on. None of the NPC tokens have the  "have sight" setting on. There is no dynamic lighting enabled on this page either.  So, i had FOG of WAR and ADV. FOG of war on. Is that the correct way or just ADV Fog of war? Edit: Just tested, so just enabling ADV. fog of WAR dramatically introduced lag. Picking up a token and moving it, is really slow, and scrolling around the page is slow.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Still seeing issues with dynamic lighting feathering, both from bleeding shadows and dim light bleeding over DL walls. Here's a screenshot to illustrate both cases.
Unfortunately the message about the update was sent out 30 minutes after my game started here in Europe. My dynamic light lines were screwed up. I had to erase them and put them back. Seems to be working now. Perhaps it was pushed during my game; not sure? After putting them back they worked btw.
Sadly for me it just makes the game unplayably laggy, its difficult to even scroll around the page, everything gets very unresponsive.
Thanks for the update! So, if I wanted to use 'advanced fog of war' as shown in your video here: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO5vG7TyLQ0" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO5vG7TyLQ0</a> Does this all work without enabling 'lighting'? I'm just trying to see if they need to both be used in conjunction with each other, or if they are mutually exclusive. - Thanks :)
Having an issue on a 60 x 60 map I made, the PCs are only seeing the top left hand corner and there is no Fog of War at all advanced or otherwise
Update dropped in the middle of our game in the UK. we don't actually use advanced lighting systems to my knowledge, but it completely disabled our DM's fog of war and broke some of his maps. just regular fog of war. &nbsp;
I have a baller ass computer, but i cant even load into the game with advanaced fog of war on. &nbsp;I dont know if its just poorly optimized, but i cannot even try the feature.

Edited 1506457472
I'm on a really buff computer for work using the latest Chrome browser, and am encountering the same issue: too laggy to use. I also noticed that the GM opacity layer seems to play a significant part in how it's rendered. I don't normally use fog of war, but I'm curious to read a help file on what the intention is there. On a positive note, I love the effect it has with dynamic lighting enabled, adv fog of war with grid and dim light enabled, and 50% gm opacity. Really slick. It's going to be helpful for my players to see where they've already gone so they can remember. Just needs some fine tuning. Have at thee, Roll20 devs!

Edited 1506459846
Hey - I know this is a work in progress,&nbsp;I can sort of get it to work... but... Is advanced fog of war supposed to be displaying/revealing as a rectangle? and not a circle?

Edited 1506459090
I turned advanced fog of war on the map of Barovia page in my Curse of Stradh game, and now chrome crashes and a fresh installation of firefox can't run it. Edit: I managed to turn it off (by opening it and then spam clicking the "landing page" to get to a different page, and then turn it off in the settings for the Barovia map). Would have loved to see it work though.
Can confirm that Advanced Fog of War makes Roll20 unplayable. As soon as I turn it on the whole system slows down. It also consumes large quantities of memory (at least 250mb) when enabled. I've tried it in Chrome and Firefox.

Edited 1506459813
Am I the only one who seems to be able to test/run it ok? - To be fair, im in an empty room with no other players. Also, from testing - it looks like the 'reveal' is saved/shown locally on the users screen/account - which means that if a player grabs their token and quickly drags it over the map.... it will stay revealed for them... but what was 'revealed' will not be shown to the GM. This will mean the GM cannot keep track of, or view, what the players have managed to reveal either by accident or by them doing a deliberate 'quick run around the map while the GM has gone to the loo!' trick.... EDIT: Also... I know I'm already asking for extras! - But it would be nice if I could reduce the 'brightness' of revealed areas. It's pretty much the full brightness but with the colour/saturation knocked down a little bit. If it were up to me, I'd make previously revealed areas quite dark and nowhere near as bright as where the players are currently standing...
Our master can't activate normal Fog Of War. On his view it's active and on our it isn't and we can see the whole map

Edited 1506518827
It seems to have issues when I have the "Dim Light Reveals" button clicked, it shows a square around a token that seems to jump out to a large square (say, 100 feet around the player using the measuring tool) rather than follow dynamic lighting lines.&nbsp; It looks nice, but it would be nice if it worked with dim light too.&nbsp; It also seems to show "fuzzy" grid lines in areas of the map players can't see yet, indicating where art has been placed or maybe where dynamic lighting is? this is easier to see when zoomed out, but is there all the time. Other than that it seems to be working fine so far.&nbsp; I use dim light as dark vision, so I had to stop doing that to make advanced fog of war work, which is sad, but it's a work around for now.&nbsp; &nbsp;It is a little&nbsp;bit laggy, but not bad, certainly a long way from unplayable.&nbsp; Thanks very much, and keep up the good work!&nbsp;&nbsp; Here's the screen shot, this token has light set at 60 feet, dimming at 1 foot.&nbsp; &nbsp;When added to the map the square chunk around the token becomes revealed.&nbsp; That token had not moved in that area, and shouldn't be able to see through those walls, as dynamic lighting was setup around them already.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1506463184
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone! We will be getting to as many questions as possible, thanks for helping out in bringing up any pain points! godthedj said: Does this all work without enabling 'lighting'? I'm just trying to see if they need to both be used in conjunction with each other, or if they are mutually exclusive. - Thanks :) You will want to make sure that dynamic lighting is enabled to make sure players can't see everywhere :) Jack L. said: Having an issue on a 60 x 60 map I made, the PCs are only seeing the top left hand corner and there is no Fog of War at all advanced or otherwise Are the players unable to pan around? Additionally, you will want to make sure that Dynamic Lighting is enabled, in addition to being sure to select "Has Sight" and "Emits Light" for that player. You can find information on that here:&nbsp; Dynamic Lighting Alex B. said: Update dropped in the middle of our game in the UK. we don't actually use advanced lighting systems to my knowledge, but it completely disabled our DM's fog of war and broke some of his maps. just regular fog of war. &nbsp; Is your GM able to re-enable fog of war? How did the maps break? Thank you!

Edited 1506463861
Drespar
Roll20 Team
CrazyGambler ,&nbsp; Austin ,&nbsp; TheWebCoder ,&nbsp; DungeonMaster Performance is something that is definitely on our minds, and we will continue to improve upon it as time goes on! Something to keep in mind, is that lag will mostly be on the GMs side, players should experience relatively little. Are these larger games? That might be another potential cause for the symptoms you are seeing. That said, I would recommend possibly clearing your chat archive, especially in long running games, to see if that eliminates some of the slow down. You can find info on that and more here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives</a> You might also try working through our&nbsp; Solving Techinical Issues wiki page to see if that might help out :) Edit: Also, if you check "Only Update on Drop" in the Dynamic Lighting section, it should bump up performance a little!
godthedj said: Hey - I know this is a work in progress,&nbsp;I can sort of get it to work... but... Is advanced fog of war supposed to be displaying/revealing as a rectangle? and not a circle? Correct, we do have some limitations on Advanced Fog of War in that the fog reveal is represented by a sereis of grid cells cleared of fog. You can find out more on our wiki for&nbsp; Advanced Fog of War .
Matti said: I turned advanced fog of war on the map of Barovia page in my Curse of Stradh game, and now chrome crashes and a fresh installation of firefox can't run it. Edit: I managed to turn it off (by opening it and then spam clicking the "landing page" to get to a different page, and then turn it off in the settings for the Barovia map). Would have loved to see it work though. Hey Matti,&nbsp; Sorry to hear you are having this problem with Advanced Fog of War. I would recommend working through our Solving Techinical Issues wiki page to see if that helps. The most important part of this will be the console log, if you can capture the crash it might shed some light on the cause.
godthedj said: Also, from testing - it looks like the 'reveal' is saved/shown locally on the users screen/account - which means that if a player grabs their token and quickly drags it over the map.... it will stay revealed for them... but what was 'revealed' will not be shown to the GM. This will mean the GM cannot keep track of, or view, what the players have managed to reveal either by accident or by them doing a deliberate 'quick run around the map while the GM has gone to the loo!' trick.... You should actually be able to see what your players have revealed by hitting "Ctrl+L" while their token is selected. Does this work for you? In the event that you do need to reset the FoW (Pesky rogues!) you can hold "Ctrl" while using the Fog of War Tools to apply it to JUST Advanced Fog of War. Check out&nbsp; Revealing and Reapplying Fog and Running with Both Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War Simultaneously for more info!
There seems to be some issues with remembering areas that are diagonal partial squares. See these two screenshots
Don - I think that is just to do with the limitations mentioned above... "fog reveal is represented by a series of grid cells of cleared fog"

Edited 1506466629
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Steren said: It seems to have issues when I have the "Dim Light Reveals" button clicked, it shows a square around a token that seems to jump out to a large square (say, 100 feet around the player using the measuring tool) rather than follow dynamic lighting lines.&nbsp; It looks nice, but it would be nice if it worked with dim light too.&nbsp; It also seems to show "fuzzy" grid lines in areas of the map players can't see yet, indicating where art has been placed or maybe where dynamic lighting is? this is easier to see when zoomed out, but is there all the time. Other than that it seems to be working fine so far.&nbsp; I use dim light as dark vision, so I had to stop doing that to make advanced fog of war work, which is sad, but it's a work around for now.&nbsp; &nbsp;It is a little bit laggy, but not bad, certainly a long way from unplayable.&nbsp; Thanks very much, and keep up the good work!&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you have a screenshot of the large square you are talking about as well as steps to repeat the process? Thank you! Edit: We are aware of the "Grid" that you mentioned. It has been logged and we are looking into it :)
I'm very happy with this, though! Thanks for adding it!&nbsp; The only other thing I noticed was that, if I ctrl-L on a token on one map that has Advanced FoW enabled, then go to another map without clicking somewhere off the token to get out of "Ctrl-L mode", when I get to the new map (which is not lit with global illumination) it is totally black (because the token I'm ctrl-L'ed on isn't on that map) and I can't do anything as GM on the new map until I go back to the original map and click off the token. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
Don W. said: There seems to be some issues with remembering areas that are diagonal partial squares. See these two screenshots godthedj said: Don - I think that is just to do with the limitations mentioned above... "fog reveal is represented by a series of grid cells of cleared fog" A cell revealed in Advanced Fog of War will only remain visible if the very center pixel was seen by the token. If that is not the case, then the entire square will revert to black when out of line of sight.
Don W. said: I'm very happy with this, though! Thanks for adding it!&nbsp; The only other thing I noticed was that, if I ctrl-L on a token on one map that has Advanced FoW enabled, then go to another map without clicking somewhere off the token to get out of "Ctrl-L mode", when I get to the new map (which is not lit with global illumination) it is totally black (because the token I'm ctrl-L'ed on isn't on that map) and I can't do anything as GM on the new map until I go back to the original map and click off the token. Not sure if that was intentional or not. If you hit Ctrl+L again once on a different map, it should take you out of it and reveal the page :)
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Not a bug, but more of a side-note for anyone who comes across it: If you have a player token with sight, and add control of that token to the DM (under Can Be Edited & Controlled By), when pressing Ctrl-L on that token as DM you will see most of the map as revealed Fog of War. This was very confusing as I was testing token controls, as I had one token that I had given myself control of to test under rejoin as player. Once I removed myself from the token control setting, the token behaved as expected with Ctrl-L.
Loren S. said: Not a bug, but more of a side-note for anyone who comes across it: If you have a player token with sight, and add control of that token to the DM (under Can Be Edited & Controlled By), when pressing Ctrl-L on that token as DM you will see most of the map as revealed Fog of War. This was very confusing as I was testing token controls, as I had one token that I had given myself control of to test under rejoin as player. Once I removed myself from the token control setting, the token behaved as expected with Ctrl-L. Great catch! I had run in to similar issues myself but was unable to figure out the cause.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
godthedj said: EDIT: Also... I know I'm already asking for extras! - But it would be nice if I could reduce the 'brightness' of revealed areas. It's pretty much the full brightness but with the colour/saturation knocked down a little bit. If it were up to me, I'd make previously revealed areas quite dark and nowhere near as bright as where the players are currently standing... +1 to this.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Loren S. said: Not a bug, but more of a side-note for anyone who comes across it: If you have a player token with sight, and add control of that token to the DM (under Can Be Edited & Controlled By), when pressing Ctrl-L on that token as DM you will see most of the map as revealed Fog of War. This was very confusing as I was testing token controls, as I had one token that I had given myself control of to test under rejoin as player. Once I removed myself from the token control setting, the token behaved as expected with Ctrl-L. That explains some odd behavior I saw. Thanks!

Edited 1506476303
Normal fog of war is broken and not working currently. Players can see the entire map. Update: Maps which previously had fog of war working for the players are still working. Maps which did not have fog of war enabled before todays update will never have fog enabled even if the GM sets it.
Due to the way it reveals blocks of squares in the grid, doors and other dynamic lighting lines drawn into the middle of a square will make it bleed. See this image for reference Performance is still an issue, not on my side but also from my players. As it stands you need to have a top notch computer to support the memory and processing needed for this, otherwise it causes a browser crash. I as a GM am fine with the lag, but as this feature is made for improving the fun of players it is a real bummer to see this happen. You still need to fix quite a lot of stuff and I would suggest you take a look at the suggestions on the pro forums once more. On it's current status it is unsuable for me.
The poor performance means we won't (can't) use this feature in a real game but its very much a step in the right direction! &nbsp;One thing we noticed is ghosting that actually reveals a faint outline of unexplored regions of the map. At the top you can see a screenshot from a client pc in control of the token (the only token on the object layer of this test map) The bottom is the gm PC showing that the client can clearly see the ghostly layout of the map if not the map itself.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Tim S. said: Normal fog of war is broken and not working currently. Players can see the entire map. Update: Maps which previously had fog of war working for the players are still working. Maps which did not have fog of war enabled before todays update will never have fog enabled even if the GM sets it. Not sure if this is mentioned in any of the current documentation on live server, but on Dev it was mentioned in the update notes that you can adjust original FoW by holding Alt while using the Fog of War tools, and you can adjust the Advanced Fog of War only by holding Ctrl while using the Fog of War tools.

Edited 1506511342
Hey ! I have the same issue than Stephen L. My players can see rooms beyond some DL walls from way too much far away from their vision range. Just need this "see through walls" fix. I'd use this feature with joy without this bug :/ I also didn't get how is the "saving" protocol on dim light reveals, sometime it didn't save, sometime i can't make an enlightened area hidden I get that i just had to reset the fog of war Nice job tho, i waited for it &lt;3 Edit : testing further, it lag a lot, CPU is ok (15%), ethernet is fine so it's the app who froze a bit. I'll try with chrome and edge and a better computer later and stay in touch ;) Edit2 : So i just made a range to the advanced fog of war on my player's token, it worked well for countering lags
The performance seems worse now then it did on Dev. Everyone in my group has good machines and solid internet but it's&nbsp; very laggy atm.

Edited 1506514144
The initial page load reveals a very large default square(11w x 8h) that disobeys the Dynamic Lighting barriers I put up, revealing areas of the map players should NOT see. Once players start moving around, Advanced Fog of War(AFW) seems to obey the Dynamic Lighting barriers. It's almost like on page load, AFW does its magic before the Dynamic Lighting rules take effect. UPDATE: &nbsp;If I turn up Update On Drop for the page, that seems to fix this issue, but it would be nice to not have to turn this option on.
Philip - I had the same thing. Also, I may be wrong, but when I tested it yesterday, it seemed that the dynamic lighting walls are completely ignored for the GM screen. - Not a huge issue since the GM can generally see it all anyway...&nbsp;
Tim S. said: Normal fog of war is broken and not working currently. Players can see the entire map. Update: Maps which previously had fog of war working for the players are still working. Maps which did not have fog of war enabled before todays update will never have fog enabled even if the GM sets it. Does this persist if you reset the fog of war?&nbsp; You can find more information about Running with Both Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War Simultaneously. Additionally, could you provide some more information on how/what exactly happens? Does this occur when you refresh the page and the settings don't save, etc.? Thank you! Brother Sharp said: Due to the way it reveals blocks of squares in the grid, doors and other dynamic lighting lines drawn into the middle of a square will make it bleed. See this image for reference Performance is still an issue, not on my side but also from my players. As it stands you need to have a top notch computer to support the memory and processing needed for this, otherwise it causes a browser crash. I as a GM am fine with the lag, but as this feature is made for improving the fun of players it is a real bummer to see this happen. You still need to fix quite a lot of stuff and I would suggest you take a look at the suggestions on the pro forums once more. On it's current status it is unsuable for me. I don't think I quite understand your wording here, and I might be missing something in the picture. What exactly do you mean by "bleed"? The same as those outlined by Stephan L.? Performance is definitely something we will be working to improve upon using feedback from the community :) We do recommend setting Dynamic Lighting to "Update on Drop" to see if that doesn't bump up performance for you a bit and double checking if NPC tokens have sight or anything that would interact with Advanced Fog of War. Muse said: The poor performance means we won't (can't) use this feature in a real game but its very much a step in the right direction! &nbsp;One thing we noticed is ghosting that actually reveals a faint outline of unexplored regions of the map. At the top you can see a screenshot from a client pc in control of the token (the only token on the object layer of this test map) The bottom is the gm PC showing that the client can clearly see the ghostly layout of the map if not the map itself. It is a little hard to tell (Sorry!) but is it just the small area edging on the tokens maximum sight range, or are you able to see the whole map very faintly? What sort of settings are you using on this page, does it persist if you change them? Thank you! Philip H. said: The initial page load reveals a very large default square(11w x 8h) that disobeys the Dynamic Lighting barriers I put up, revealing areas of the map players should NOT see. Once players start moving around, Advanced Fog of War(AFW) seems to obey the Dynamic Lighting barriers. It's almost like on page load, AFW does its magic before the Dynamic Lighting rules take effect. UPDATE: &nbsp;If I turn up Update On Drop for the page, that seems to fix this issue, but it would be nice to not have to turn this option on. I am seeing this behavior as well. Your Update sheds some light on things, thank you! Also a big thank you to everyone posting, this is all very helpful so we can improve Advanced Fog of War! :)

Edited 1506519073
Drespar said: Steren said: It seems to have issues when I have the "Dim Light Reveals" button clicked, it shows a square around a token that seems to jump out to a large square (say, 100 feet around the player using the measuring tool) rather than follow dynamic lighting lines.&nbsp; It looks nice, but it would be nice if it worked with dim light too.&nbsp; It also seems to show "fuzzy" grid lines in areas of the map players can't see yet, indicating where art has been placed or maybe where dynamic lighting is? this is easier to see when zoomed out, but is there all the time. Other than that it seems to be working fine so far.&nbsp; I use dim light as dark vision, so I had to stop doing that to make advanced fog of war work, which is sad, but it's a work around for now.&nbsp; &nbsp;It is a little bit laggy, but not bad, certainly a long way from unplayable.&nbsp; Thanks very much, and keep up the good work!&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you have a screenshot of the large square you are talking about as well as steps to repeat the process? Thank you! Edit: We are aware of the "Grid" that you mentioned. It has been logged and we are looking into it :) Here's the screen shot, this token has light set at 60 feet, dimming at 1 foot. When added to the map the square chunk around the token becomes revealed. That token had not moved in that area, and shouldn't be able to see through those walls, as dynamic lighting was setup around them already.&nbsp; This seems to be the same issue Phillip H. is experiencing also.&nbsp;&nbsp;
This doesn't seem to work for me at all in combination with Dynamic Lighting enabled. I already reset Fog of War and I use exactly the settings from the Wiki. What am I doing wrong here?
I was able to reproduce this on my end and the devs are aware. The devs are working to try and correct the dim light issue :)
lady8jane said: This doesn't seem to work for me at all in combination with Dynamic Lighting enabled. I already reset Fog of War and I use exactly the settings from the Wiki. What am I doing wrong here? To confirm: When you move the token around, then hit Ctrl+L (while token is selected) none of the map has been explored and grayed out (if not in immediate Line of Sight)? Thank you!
Drespar said: CrazyGambler ,&nbsp; Austin ,&nbsp; TheWebCoder ,&nbsp; DungeonMaster Performance is something that is definitely on our minds, and we will continue to improve upon it as time goes on! Something to keep in mind, is that lag will mostly be on the GMs side, players should experience relatively little. Are these larger games? That might be another potential cause for the symptoms you are seeing. That said, I would recommend possibly clearing your chat archive, especially in long running games, to see if that eliminates some of the slow down. You can find info on that and more here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives</a> You might also try working through our&nbsp; Solving Techinical Issues wiki page to see if that might help out :) Edit: Also, if you check "Only Update on Drop" in the Dynamic Lighting section, it should bump up performance a little! I took all of these steps. Clearing the chat log helped a bit , but it's still god-awful slow. I haven't had my players chime in yet, but for me as the GM it's so slow I wouldn't use it. Again, very buff computer, graphics card, plenty of memory, latest Chrome in incognito mode which disables all extensions, no Roll20 chat enabled, so if it ain't workin on this computer it's going to be a fairly prolific issue. When you solve performance, this will be the coolest feature in a while. Have at thee, Roll20!

Edited 1506521940
A few more details: This is on an already existing map that I had set up for Dynamic Lighting. After the release I enabled Advanced Fog of War and moved the existing player tokens around so that all areas they already had explored should have been revealed. But by hitting&nbsp;Ctrl+L after that I could only see what the token is supposed to see with Dynamic Lighting, not the rest of the already explored map. I then tried this with a completely new token (the one you can see above). Dropping the token into the map had the whole map revealed at once. Resetting Fog of War fixed that. But moving that new token around has the very same effect as it had with the old tokens. I moved this token through rooms 1 and 2 (see my GM view below) and it should be able to see those as revealed. But obviously it doesn't.

Edited 1506522040
lady8jane said: This doesn't seem to work for me at all in combination with Dynamic Lighting enabled. I already reset Fog of War and I use exactly the settings from the Wiki. What am I doing wrong here? I have to have show grid enabled for it to "remember" where my players have been. Dim light reveals helps further depending on their light source.
TheWebCoder said: I have to have show grid enabled for it to "remember" where my players have been. Dim light reveals helps further depending on their light source. Played around with that. Unfortunately it doesn't help. My suspicion atm is that the map having been created before the update may have to do with this. Will test with a newly created map once I'm off work.
Drespar said: Tim S. said: Normal fog of war is broken and not working currently. Players can see the entire map. Update: Maps which previously had fog of war working for the players are still working. Maps which did not have fog of war enabled before todays update will never have fog enabled even if the GM sets it. Does this persist if you reset the fog of war?&nbsp; You can find more information about Running with Both Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War Simultaneously. Additionally, could you provide some more information on how/what exactly happens? Does this occur when you refresh the page and the settings don't save, etc.? Thank you! I've tried the reset fog button, issue still persists. Also leaving and rejoining for both players and GM made no difference, when GM leaves and rejoins the settings are back to fog of war being disabled. This is being run from a non-pro account so there is no advanced fog of war option available, just the single checkbox for fog of war. Basically what is happening is the GM is unable to activate fog of war on a map that had not had it active on prior to yesterdays update. Although on his side he sees the fog of war enabled, the players and the server do not have fog enabled (as evident by leaving and rejoining and it is not enabled on the maps he just enabled it on)
Tim S. said: Drespar said: Tim S. said: Normal fog of war is broken and not working currently. Players can see the entire map. Update: Maps which previously had fog of war working for the players are still working. Maps which did not have fog of war enabled before todays update will never have fog enabled even if the GM sets it. Does this persist if you reset the fog of war?&nbsp; You can find more information about Running with Both Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War Simultaneously. Additionally, could you provide some more information on how/what exactly happens? Does this occur when you refresh the page and the settings don't save, etc.? Thank you! I've tried the reset fog button, issue still persists. Also leaving and rejoining for both players and GM made no difference, when GM leaves and rejoins the settings are back to fog of war being disabled. This is being run from a non-pro account so there is no advanced fog of war option available, just the single checkbox for fog of war. Basically what is happening is the GM is unable to activate fog of war on a map that had not had it active on prior to yesterdays update. Although on his side he sees the fog of war enabled, the players and the server do not have fog enabled (as evident by leaving and rejoining and it is not enabled on the maps he just enabled it on) I believe this issue might be related to a similar issue where default settings are not being saved for Free users. I would suggest keeping an eye on that thread here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5577047/page-set" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5577047/page-set</a>...

Edited 1506527444
I've been messing around with the Advanced Fog of War before our next Curse of Strahd session on Saturday. I put a character down in a map with a torch and realized something. I think that since all of the NPC tokens have sight that technically "emits light", the players are able to see locations they haven't been in but an enemy NPC is currently standing in. Even if a non-player character has bright light sight on a square, it reveals that square to the players. Is there any way this could be fixed besides just turning off sight for all of the NPC tokens?