Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Updated Dynamic Lighting - Feedback Thread

@Cassie Would the devs be able to make Darkvision with the same options as Emits Light; add an option/switch that determines whether Darkvision is showed as bright or dim light? And update the light effects to make it when 2 or more dim light radii overlaps, that area is automatically shown as bright light?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Craig said: @Cassie Would the devs be able to make Darkvision with the same options as Emits Light; add an option/switch that determines whether Darkvision is showed as bright or dim light? And update the light effects to make it when 2 or more dim light radii overlaps, that area is automatically shown as bright light? Why bother with a switch? Just have Night Vision be a second light (with the exact same dim/bright interface as Emits Light) that only controlling players and the GM can see. Less code. None of the current batch of Night Vision bugs. No loss of visual quality. Proper adding of Night Vision dim light and other dim lights make bright light. Allows Night Vision to be bright, dim, or a mix. Whenever Night Vision gets additive (instead of subtractive) color blending, regular lights automatically get it too. Edge of Night Vision will no longer make lit areas darker .
This. THIS THIS THIS.
Jocelyn said: I'm running into a weird interaction with dim light. The selected token has 60 ft nightvision. The torch is emitting 30 ft of bright light and 30 ft of dim light. When the dimlight overlaps with the nightvision, the light is dimmed. This is unusual. It should be as bright as the night vision radius, dim light shouldn't dim the light. The 5E D&D Darkvision language is: "You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray." So darkvision shouldn't be doubling the range of light (that's how low-light vision worked in 3E). Darkvision should be a range of distance where dim light is improved to bright light and darkness is improved to dim black and white. If 50% of the player base playes 5E, then it's a feature that should be able to be done rules as written. Hi Jocelyn, Thanks for the write up and image. This will be added to the Known Issues list as: "Nightvision overlapping low light appears too dark."
Brian C. said: Craig said: @Cassie Would the devs be able to make Darkvision with the same options as Emits Light; add an option/switch that determines whether Darkvision is showed as bright or dim light? And update the light effects to make it when 2 or more dim light radii overlaps, that area is automatically shown as bright light? Why bother with a switch? Just have Night Vision be a second light (with the exact same dim/bright interface as Emits Light) that only controlling players and the GM can see. Less code. None of the current batch of Night Vision bugs. No loss of visual quality. Proper adding of Night Vision dim light and other dim lights make bright light. Allows Night Vision to be bright, dim, or a mix. Whenever Night Vision gets additive (instead of subtractive) color blending, regular lights automatically get it too. Edge of Night Vision will no longer make lit areas darker . This is the perfect solution. I don't see why it is considered a "workaround" in the old dynamic lighting - it is exactly how darkvision/night vision would work; providing illumination to ONLY the token with the ability.
As a long time user I wish old advanced dynamic lightning would still be available. The new one lags a lot, despite me using gaming PC with 8gb of ram. Yikes.
I have to agree about the lag. It takes well over 10 seconds just to copy and paste one object with UDL on, even on a very small map. My computer is likewise no joke, 16GB of ram, NVIDIA 1060 graphics, and an i7 processor. While I know this isn't 100% top of the line, I know I have one of the best computers out of all my players. If I can't run it smoothly, its going to be unusable for my players. 
I can't emit colored lights at this time with UDL, correct?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Joe N. said: I can't emit colored lights at this time with UDL, correct? Correct. Only Night Vision can be tinted.
Just wanted to be sure as one of the groups is passing through a "red tinted" corridor at the moment and I thought that I saw something about tinting in the past (but never used LDL myself so I'm not sure).

Edited 1600459907
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Joe N. said: Just wanted to be sure as one of the groups is passing through a "red tinted" corridor at the moment and I thought that I saw something about tinting in the past (but never used LDL myself so I'm not sure). Download these three PNGs (10%, 25%, and 50% opacity). Click on one, then right-click and Save As. . . Upload them to your page. Tint them red to see what level of tinting you like best. Stretch it over the corridor on the map layer.
Thank you I'll try to give that a shot for next session.

Edited 1600476454
Brian C. said: Joe N. said: I can't emit colored lights at this time with UDL, correct? Correct. Only Night Vision can be tinted. Respectfully, I feel like I have to ask: why? In which game system is this something that's useful? As opposed to coloured lighting; which would be neat, or additive color mixing, which is how light works. Or D&D Darkvision, which is useful for the game that half of your user base plays. Sticking with Legacy because of that - even though Legacy Lighting does not give me the accurate light distance put into the token either, instead trailing off way sooner, so neither lighting system actually works properly.

Edited 1600526512
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jeroen W. said: Brian C. said: Joe N. said: I can't emit colored lights at this time with UDL, correct? Correct. Only Night Vision can be tinted. Respectfully, I feel like I have to ask: why? In which game system is this something that's useful? As opposed to coloured lighting; which would be neat, or additive color mixing, which is how light works. Or D&D Darkvision, which is useful for the game that half of your user base plays. Sticking with Legacy because of that - even though Legacy Lighting does not give me the accurate light distance put into the token either, instead trailing off way sooner, so neither lighting system actually works properly. Someone decided that UDL Night Vision would not just be a light that only the players controlling a token can see. When UDL was first released, it was instead a separate rendering process that looks to the end user like a bright light that only players controlling the token could see. This dropped the black to dim to bright light progression possible in LDL. Presumably because Night Vision is not just another light, Night Vision has not integrated easily with the rest of the lighting system. Instead, it has reacted badly to "regular" lighting as well as other sources of Night Vision. When people complained that they could not tell the difference between Night Vision and regular light  (because it was just bright light), someone decided to add a sharpen filter to the Night Vision area as well as the option to tint the area to a different color so that the player could always tell the extent of the Night Vision. When people complained that the sharpen effect made the graphics in the area look bad , it was eventually made to be optional. And that is where we are today, color was added to Night Vision as a reaction to a more fundamental problem.
New system is fix or still bugged ?

Edited 1600557406
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Al Pacino said: New system is fix or still bugged ? Assuming this is a serious question, there will be announcements when it is considered ready. Nothing is ever bug-free. In the meantime, the Legacy system still functions as ever.

Edited 1600584855
I'm having a serious trouble with Legacy System... Advanced Fog of War is lagging real crazy with Dynamic Lightning in large maps like Nightstone from SKT's Module. Thanks to the answer Loren. I"ll try to reduce the amount of creatures with Sight. Lightning is kinda difficult because of the mechanics of the game itself.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Danilo said: I'm having a serious trouble with Legacy System... Advanced Fog of War is lagging real crazy with Dynamic Lightning in large maps like Nightstone from SKT's Module. It does - that is part of why they are updating it. Make sure you have Global Illumination turned off if you are trying to run AFoW and LDL together - that can be a major source of problems. Otherwise, large maps with lots of lighting or creatures with sight can lag a lot, especially with both systems enabled.

Edited 1600584904
I think it is. I have the same question, in certain ways. Bugs can be acceptable, but the system was kinda really messy in the beginning. I think his question is something like: is it usable right now? The major bugs are resolved? Because when I tried to use two weeks ago, my players could see the whole map due to previous bug. It was lag as hell as well, blah blah. So, anyone can give me a hint about it? Is it "usable" now? keithcurtis said: Al Pacino said: New system is fix or still bugged ? Assuming this is a serious question, there will be announcements when it is considered ready. Nothing is ever bug-free. In the meantime, the Legacy system still functions as ever.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Danilo said: I think it is. I have the same question, in certain ways. Bugs can be acceptable, but the system was kinda really messy in the beginning. I think his question is something like: is it usable right now? The major bugs are resolved? Because when I tried to use two weeks ago, my players could see the whole map due to previous bug. It was lag as hell as well, blah blah. So, anyone can give me a hint about it? Is it "usable" now? There are people that have no problems with UDL.  There are people that have horrible problems with UDL.  There are people in the middle.  The only real answer is to try it out yourself in a test game or a copy of one of your active games to see how it behaves for you on your and your players' hardware, internet connections, etc.  No one else can tell you how it will behave for you, which is part of the frustration with lighting both new and old.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Danilo said: I think it is. I have the same question, in certain ways. Bugs can be acceptable, but the system was kinda really messy in the beginning. I think his question is something like: is it usable right now? The major bugs are resolved? Because when I tried to use two weeks ago, my players could see the whole map due to previous bug. It was lag as hell as well, blah blah. So, anyone can give me a hint about it? I asked if the question was serious, since the user has posted it twice now at one week intervals with no other interaction. If anyone is curious about the current status, the outstanding issues are listed in the top post. Short answer: It still has bugs and those bugs are being worked on. It has apparently turned out to be far more complex than the developers originally hoped. Some of the reasons for this have been given in recent posts. Brian C's long post on the previous page gives a good rundown of the current perception of some of the possible reasons as well.
Thanks, I'll give it a look! keithcurtis said: Danilo said: I think it is. I have the same question, in certain ways. Bugs can be acceptable, but the system was kinda really messy in the beginning. I think his question is something like: is it usable right now? The major bugs are resolved? Because when I tried to use two weeks ago, my players could see the whole map due to previous bug. It was lag as hell as well, blah blah. So, anyone can give me a hint about it? I asked if the question was serious, since the user has posted it twice now at one week intervals with no other interaction. If anyone is curious about the current status, the outstanding issues are listed in the top post. Short answer: It still has bugs and those bugs are being worked on. It has apparently turned out to be far more complex than the developers originally hoped. Some of the reasons for this have been given in recent posts. Brian C's long post on the previous page gives a good rundown of the current perception of some of the possible reasons as well.
Adam N. said: Started seeing some strange issues with UDL over the last few days, effectively rendering it unusable until fixed. Both Use Case Scenarios tested on Chrome and Firefox. Seems to affect all tokens both fresh and on older maps from several weeks ago. #1: "Beams" of limited vision when Limited Vision is not enabled Fresh token dragged from the asset list. Default settings except vision = ON, Night Vision = 30ft. Beams rotate with token.  Also seeing a "cone vision" as others have mentioned on older maps with both new and tokens that were there pre-update. #2: Flat edge on front of Bright Light Fresh token dragged from the asset list. Default Settings except Night Vision = ON, Bright Light = 30ft. The "flat edge" follows the "front" of the token as you rotate it. Have these issues specifically been fixed yet? I swapped to the old lightning system because of how buggy this was about a month ago.

Edited 1600758510
Chiming in to add to the pile, currently also experiencing these issues (some known): Loading times noticeable increased when using UDL over LDL in both Chrome and Firefox. Dynamic lighting lines appear jagged in both Chrome and Firefox (see below). Didn't get a picture but the Chrome version specifically was creating "ghosts" of tokens, showing the token where it was originally after moving it. Said ghost couldn't be interacted with, didn't emit it's own light, and disappeared on a refresh. High memory usage in Firefox specifically, the second image is after the game has been open for 30 minutes: Dim light from tokens that emit light causes tokens with night vision to see dim light instead of bright light, also affects tinted night vision: Tinting UDL night vision as the "workaround" to get the same dim light that LDL offered has the issue of multiple tokens overlapping. Effect seems limited to only overlap two tokens, not more as shown in the second picture with colours: Issue with the "Sharpen Effect" setting under Night Vision causing some tokens (Briathos in the example) to distort horribly the more instances of "Sharpen Effect Night Vision" overlapped the token, the below shows the tokens without any sharpen and with sharpen being applied on all: Issue when moving a group of tokens at once causing all the lighting to flicker, occurs on both Firefox & Chrome. First noticed when moving the tokens for the above Sharpen Effect issue, retested without Sharpen Effect while getting pictures for the colour overlap: When using "Explorer Mode", tokens with Night Vision do not reveal areas. Only tokens emitting light reveal areas: Additionally the area doesn't remain revealed if another user moves the token into an area: If you decide to "sunset" LDL before getting UDL working on par with LDL then you're losing my subscription for sure. Dynamic Lighting is one of the only reasons I pay for a subscription. Also "feature parity" doesn't mean "has similar functionality if everything worked right"; hell the last issue on the list proves "feature parity" a lie because you don't have an option to enable Night Vision to reveal areas like you could with LDL/AFoW and the "dim light reveals" setting. For anyone reading who's wondering why this didn't seem very well tested, besides ignoring feedback in the Pro/Dev forum: Roll20 recently laid off some of their own QA testers.
Every time I use a map with the updated lighting it causes slow down issues on my system (yellow band at top of window advising a webpage is slowing down browser - stop or wait) someyimes to the point that it totally locks the system up and stops it being able to do anything. As much as I love using roll20 and the dynamic lighting feature I find that its actively putting me off running sessions knowing that we'll have massive pauses or even having to reboot in some instances just to continue. :-(
Brian C. said: Someone decided that UDL Night Vision would not just be a light that only the players controlling a token can see. When UDL was first released, it was instead a separate rendering process that looks to the end user like a bright light that only players controlling the token could see. This dropped the black to dim to bright light progression possible in LDL. Presumably because Night Vision is not just another light, Night Vision has not integrated easily with the rest of the lighting system. Instead, it has reacted badly to "regular" lighting as well as other sources of Night Vision. When people complained that they could not tell the difference between Night Vision and regular light  (because it was just bright light), someone decided to add a sharpen filter to the Night Vision area as well as the option to tint the area to a different color so that the player could always tell the extent of the Night Vision. When people complained that the sharpen effect made the graphics in the area look bad , it was eventually made to be optional. And that is where we are today, color was added to Night Vision as a reaction to a more fundamental problem. So what you're saying is one of (arguably) three features in this new system is only really acting the way it is, because it's a poorly designed fix to a poorly designed feature? Wow. Out of the new features, I think 'Explorer Mode' is the one that tempts me the most to actually switch over. The ability to map your dungeon for your players like that is compelling. I always liked that idea, but the way the old fog-of-war worked by revealing feathered squares looked ugly as hell. Still, though the new system is an improvement on that front, the way interacts with dim light still doesn't sit right with me. If a character with a light source has '15 ft of bright light and additional 15 feet of dim light', a very reasonable situation in D&D, and then they MOVE, the full 30 foot area that they just walked away from is revealed to them in full, with a crisp edge. I understand why it works like that, because dim light is not a consideration in the design of this system . But for atmosphere and replicating things you couldn't do at an actual table, it's a really useful tool. So it still isn't right . I just rely on my players with the Legacy Lighting to keep a mental picture of the layout of a dungeon now. Which has worked out to be immersive. Yes, my warlock with devil's sight doesn't get an accurate 120 ft. of vision, because for some inexplicable reason there's a trail-off feathered edge (even though that feels like what the "dim light" area should be for?) If you want to switch people over, eventually, then learn how your tools are actually used by people for once .
Mik C. said: Every time I use a map with the updated lighting it causes slow down issues on my system (yellow band at top of window advising a webpage is slowing down browser - stop or wait) someyimes to the point that it totally locks the system up and stops it being able to do anything. As much as I love using roll20 and the dynamic lighting feature I find that its actively putting me off running sessions knowing that we'll have massive pauses or even having to reboot in some instances just to continue. :-( If you'd like it to run better you could swap back to using the Legacy Dynamic Lighting, it still works just as fine as before.
Jeroen W. said: So it still isn't right . I just rely on my players with the Legacy Lighting to keep a mental picture of the layout of a dungeon now. Which has worked out to be immersive. Yes, my warlock with devil's sight doesn't get an accurate 120 ft. of vision, because for some inexplicable reason there's a trail-off feathered edge (even though that feels like what the "dim light" area should be for?) If you want to switch people over, eventually, then learn how your tools are actually used by people for once . Try setting the 'dim light starts' distance to 121 or higher. Should mostly get rid of the gradient at the edge.

Edited 1600799419
Bug Report Today's update created an issue where the sharpened effect covers all visible areas for a token instead of just unlit areas, and revealed areas in Explorer Mode are full color instead of greyed out and do not hide tokens in those areas. From GM view, unrevealed lit areas are much lighter than before. Turning off the sharpened effect, the difference between visible and revealed areas is barely noticeable, and the visible areas are dimmer than those that shouldn't be (This can be seen clearest in the top portion of this image). EDIT: Explorer Mode is mostly working, the reason it appeared to not work is that two tokens on this map have night vision active, and using Ctrl+L to view from one of them also shows the view from the other night vision token. In the above image, Cranberry can see Heide because Duggory can see Heide, but using Ctrl+L on Cranberry should only show what is visible to that token. Ctrl+L isn't showing areas that should be revealed, though. If I move the token, areas going out of visibility dim to revealed areas, but if I end the preview then use Ctrl+L again on that same token, there are no revealed areas anymore. Using Ctrl+L on a token without night vision still shows the overlapping effects of any tokens with night vision (tint, sharpen). All of these are new issues that I didn't have yesterday, before this update.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
@Persephone - the [Ctrl+L] not updating the player token revealed areas is how it is supposed to work, by design, I believe - that's how LDL worked. The idea is you could [Ctrl+L] and see how things would look for the player's token without revealing to the player any of the terrain (and either spoiling things for them or forcing a reset of the exploration fog). 

Edited 1600802569
New UDL patch !!!!

Edited 1600807215
Pat said: @Persephone - the [Ctrl+L] not updating the player token revealed areas is how it is supposed to work, by design, I believe - that's how LDL worked. The idea is you could [Ctrl+L] and see how things would look for the player's token without revealing to the player any of the terrain (and either spoiling things for them or forcing a reset of the exploration fog).  Before today I was able to move a token from one location to another then Ctrl+L and the previous room would appear as a greyed out revealed area. Today, using Ctrl+L after moving a token doesn't retrain the revealed areas. It does still show revealed areas if you move the token while Ctrl+L is active, but deselecting the token then using Ctrl+L again seems to reset the revealed areas at least for the GM. This is new behavior, so I hope they can revert it to how it behaved before today.
UDL Bug: Night Vision from a token "A" is giving token "B" vision, kinda like Night Vision was Bright/Dim Light from a torch or something.
Persephone said: Jeroen W. said: So it still isn't right . I just rely on my players with the Legacy Lighting to keep a mental picture of the layout of a dungeon now. Which has worked out to be immersive. Yes, my warlock with devil's sight doesn't get an accurate 120 ft. of vision, because for some inexplicable reason there's a trail-off feathered edge (even though that feels like what the "dim light" area should be for?) If you want to switch people over, eventually, then learn how your tools are actually used by people for once . Try setting the 'dim light starts' distance to 121 or higher. Should mostly get rid of the gradient at the edge. For some reason, setting it to 115 actually gives the bigger light range. Yes. It lights up more than if you set it to 120 or higher. Go figure. Anyway.
So as a player, when a wall or door is moved so that the players can move forward into a room or area, all they see is blackness. They can still move through into the next room or area but it is blacked until they physically move in. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.  As a DM, i can see through dynamic lighting that they should be able to see. 

Edited 1601169409
The night vision bug I reported yesterday has been fixed, thank you Roll20 team! Still experiencing the issue with Ctrl+L not retaining revealed areas (which, again, was not an issue before this week). Persephone said: Ctrl+L isn't showing areas that should be revealed, though. If I move the token, areas going out of visibility dim to revealed areas, but if I end the preview then use Ctrl+L again on that same token, there are no revealed areas anymore. The fix seems to have resulted in another minor bug in visuals for a token with night vision: Bug Report Note the visible triangle at the top, emitting from a solid corner and not matching the token's line of sight, as well as the 'pixel dust' lines at the bottom right, where dynamic lighting walls exist beyond the token's line of sight. The triangle in Cranberry's perspective seems to be caused by overlap with Duggory's night vision line of sight, as the triangle is an area of darkness that Duggory's night vision overlaps with; to the right of the triangle is light, and to the left is darkness out of Duggory's line of sight. The lines at the bottom also seem to be a result of being in line of sight of another token with night vision.
Tried to load a screen with updated dynamic lighting and I see nothing but the black load screen forever.  I have Windows 7 64bit with the latest version of Chrome browser.  Everything else with roll20 works, but when I went from a non-updated dynamic lighting map to a new map with updated dynamic lighting enabled it never loads for me.  Other players in the game using the Firefox browser were able to load the map. Just one more soon-to-be former user of roll20.
Wow, they purged my dumpster fire post.... LOL
Hey everyone, We wanted to give a quick update this time, focusing on the night vision functionality from the legacy lighting system since that is something that we’ve gotten considerable feedback in regards to. The lighting option from the legacy system provides an experience and environment that has not been fulfilled by the Updated Dynamic Lighting option. Originally we hoped to reproduce this closer to the sunset of the legacy system. However we don’t want anyone to worry about losing the ability to run their games the way they are used to, so we’ve bumped this up in the queue to add it into Updated Dynamic Lighting now. The team is pretty hopeful in getting this out within the next couple of weeks on Live. We’re still working on fitting this cleanly into the User Interface to avoid being overwhelmed by the amount of settings that can be adjusted and because we want to be able to provide other options here in the future. Once the change is ready and out there, the team will be looking forward to your feedback so we can adjust as necessary and so we can pinpoint the next areas we need to concentrate on. Thanks everyone for all your comments and thoughts on Dynamic Lighting as we continue working to improve. Warmly, ~ Elizabeth
Id be very helpful if the Dev team cluld sit up, move their hands and provide an accurate minimum spec requirements list for their UDL to work properly, Ive decided to just up and cancel all my games cause I cant get the player to load with UDL on.
Elizabeth: That is fantastic news, and I believe the first official acknowledgment for the need to match the UDL nightvision experience to the LDL experience.  It’s very appreciated. Thanks for the update!
Karuko M. said: Id be very helpful if the Dev team cluld sit up, move their hands and provide an accurate minimum spec requirements list for their UDL to work properly, Ive decided to just up and cancel all my games cause I cant get the player to load with UDL on. Why aren't you using the legacy dynamic lighting like most other people?
Sargauth Level (lvl 3) in Dungeon of the Mad Mage is basically non-functional with updated dynamic lighting. The map is so big the client keeps throwing warning about big maps not loading at all. When it loads, if it loads, I can't even touch my characters tokens or chrome goes completely black (even the tabs/backbutton/home button, etc) then when it reloads there is no map, no nothing, and I need to close chrome.  I cannot even express how angry I am that a product ROLL20 made is not supported by ROLL20. This is literally a crime. If you sell a content pack in needs to be runnable. 
Linking to a video I posted on Reddit showing what happened to me the other night as a player. The details: I was a player in this game The DM is a free subscriber not using Dynamic Lighting No matter how many times I refreshed, reloaded, etc... this game had this issue (basically making it unusable.) I could load other games (where I am the GM/ creator and a Pro Subscriber) with no problem
Roll20, I'm begging you, to NOT kill off legacy Dynamic lighting. It is pretty much the only reason I am still using your site rather than going to somewhere else. If you end its support, I will no longer have a reason to continue using your service. Yes, it isn't very user friendly,  yes the new system is simple and easy (when it works) but the utility that I am losing by switching over to the new dynamic lighting system will completely end my support for your website. To be completely honest, and I know I don't post often on the forums about my complaints or issues with the site, in the last ~4 years nearly all of the updates that I have followed or been aware of have been negative or even detrimental to the usability of the site. The best example that comes to mind was the zoom change. Maybe I've not been looking around hard enough, but I don't even know why the Roll20 team is so headstrong on removing the old dynamic lighting. Is there a link to a post with an explanation? Anyway, I hope all the time I've poured into this site will not end up going up in smoke over you removing my favorite feature of your site, and I hope the site can rather look at adding new features, rather than removing ones that I personally love.
ElKatWilbrooke said: Hey everyone, We wanted to give a quick update this time, focusing on the night vision functionality from the legacy lighting system since that is something that we’ve gotten considerable feedback in regards to. The lighting option from the legacy system provides an experience and environment that has not been fulfilled by the Updated Dynamic Lighting option. Originally we hoped to reproduce this closer to the sunset of the legacy system. However we don’t want anyone to worry about losing the ability to run their games the way they are used to, so we’ve bumped this up in the queue to add it into Updated Dynamic Lighting now. The team is pretty hopeful in getting this out within the next couple of weeks on Live. We’re still working on fitting this cleanly into the User Interface to avoid being overwhelmed by the amount of settings that can be adjusted and because we want to be able to provide other options here in the future. Once the change is ready and out there, the team will be looking forward to your feedback so we can adjust as necessary and so we can pinpoint the next areas we need to concentrate on. Thanks everyone for all your comments and thoughts on Dynamic Lighting as we continue working to improve. Warmly, ~ Elizabeth With no offense intended, this is mostly corporate doublespeak and empty platitudes. After nine months, the best you can say is that "[t]he lighting option from the legacy system provides an experience and environment that has not been fulfilled by the Updated Dynamic Lighting option"? Passive voice much? UDL has been an absolute disaster . Say it clearly, own it, and most of it, apologize for it . You have wasted hundreds of hours of user time with this poorly developed and rushed "upgrade" (I use the word very, very loosely). Some people have lost their games because Roll20 kept telling people that UDL was ready to use, when in fact, it was nowhere close to being ready. You have lost subscribers to other platforms, and you will lose more, unless you make a radical change to your development process. Yet I see not one word of apology from Roll20, not one acknowledgment that you messed up in a colossal way, and that your paying customers have paid the price for testing a feature that does not, currently, in any way improve on what said customers are already paying for .  Worse: this disaster of a rollout shows that you did not learn one single thing from the disaster of 2019, when you tried to "improve" advanced fog of war and not only broke the feature for months but left customers with a worse product than they had before your "improvement." And that's after months of gaslighting those same customers about missing functionality. Are you aware that something is massively wrong with how you develop and implement features for your platform? Are you aware that unless you change that process, you will continue to hemorrhage users until you have no customer base left? I sincerely hope you are. It's no skin off my nose. I have a large amount of sunk cost in Roll20, which is why I'm still here, but if you force an inferior lighting system on your users while blathering about how it has feature parity with Legacy when it CLEARLY DOES NOT, you will lose me, and many others here.
Roll20 has been tinkering with dynamic lighting for two years now, the current situation is the compromise to the compromise to the compromise, every time they "fix" it they break it further. I too am unimpressed. What's most striking to me is that Legacy worked and continues to do so. You can call it a "workaround," but it's obviously the way your users are using the platform — something you clearly endorsed since it was listed on the wiki for years as the intended way to reproduce darkvision. The fact that Roll20 is just now acknowledging that the sole reason many people pay for their platform is to be able to produce darkvision and making it a priority to develop a solution to it (meaning they didn't have one before. They still don't! They "hope" to have one for UDL "soon.") speaks volumes about development leadership and the entire way this operation is structured and managed. The feedback for years, again literally years , from users has been that this is a top priority. Roll20 hasn't been listening.
FoundryVTT has it for a onetime fee along with many more features and they are one developer.  Astral has it for free.  Why can't roll20 figure it out? 
Adding my voice to this chant... I completely agree with Wint. The sole reason why I became a subscriber is for the dynamic lighting. LDL works. Please don't remove LDL without major updates to UDL (ghost sprites, performance, vision beyond sight lines, limited vision cones, etc.).