Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Create a free account

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition by Roll20 (Q2Y2021)

1660212020
That is not what the Roll20 character sheet does. It rolls maximum damage of the blade (4) plus maximum damage bonus (4) plus damage roll for the weapon (1d4) plus damage bonus (1d4) for a total of 8 + 2d4. Saul J. said: No, he quoted exactly what I quoted from the rulebook which means you are wrong.&nbsp; He said: "If the attacker achieves an Extreme level of success with an impaling weapon (blade or bullet) = maximum damage plus maximum damage bonus, and add a damage roll for the weapon." The example you cited is wrong. So, if you attack with a switchblade and get an Extreme level of success, the damage is: Maximum damage of the blade (4) + maximum damage bonus (4) + damage roll for the weapon = 8 + 1d4. The Roll20 character sheet is CORRECT. Eukaryot said: I wanted to be sure so I asked on the Chaosium forums and Mike Mason confirmed my reading of the rules. So the Roll20 character sheet is incorrect. <a href="https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/16435-extreme-damage-with-impaling-weapons-in-close-combat/?do=findComment&amp;comment=261095" rel="nofollow">https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/16435-extreme-damage-with-impaling-weapons-in-close-combat/?do=findComment&amp;comment=261095</a>
Yes... the additional damage boost roll is wrong... Eukaryot said: That is not what the Roll20 character sheet does. It rolls maximum damage of the blade (4) plus maximum damage bonus (4) plus damage roll for the weapon (1d4) plus damage bonus (1d4) for a total of 8 + 2d4. Saul J. said: No, he quoted exactly what I quoted from the rulebook which means you are wrong.&nbsp; He said: "If the attacker achieves an Extreme level of success with an impaling weapon (blade or bullet) = maximum damage plus maximum damage bonus, and add a damage roll for the weapon." The example you cited is wrong. So, if you attack with a switchblade and get an Extreme level of success, the damage is: Maximum damage of the blade (4) + maximum damage bonus (4) + damage roll for the weapon = 8 + 1d4. The Roll20 character sheet is CORRECT. Eukaryot said: I wanted to be sure so I asked on the Chaosium forums and Mike Mason confirmed my reading of the rules. So the Roll20 character sheet is incorrect. <a href="https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/16435-extreme-damage-with-impaling-weapons-in-close-combat/?do=findComment&amp;comment=261095" rel="nofollow">https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/16435-extreme-damage-with-impaling-weapons-in-close-combat/?do=findComment&amp;comment=261095</a>
1660212912
Thanks, so I'm not crazy about this. It really is wrong! :D
1660222860
My apologies: I was going by what you had said in your post, rather than the graphic (it's hard for me to see graphics on the forum.) What you had said initially was different from what you said later on, or at least I interpreted it differently. And I didn't have time to go in and check to see what Roll20 was actually doing.&nbsp;&nbsp; After some experimentation, yes, the sheet is wrong.&nbsp; Roll20 is adding an extra damage bonus roll that doesn't belong.&nbsp; There's also an additional box on character sheets for " The Maximum Damage Of The Attack (And Damage Bonus If Applicable)" that doesn't appear on NPC sheets that I can see. I'm not sure why.
1660226670
Sorry if my original post wasn't clear enough on what I meant! It would have probably been more precise to write: "It should be maximum damage (including damage bonus) plus the weapon die." instead of just writing " It should be maximum damage plus the weapon die."!
1660306730
I've posted a bug report on it. The devs don't always read these discussion forums but they do read the bug report forum. So, hopefully, someone will see the post and fix the problem. But, since it's easy to see the extra damage that was added and to manually subtract that out, and since CoC isn't a top priority for them with less than 10% usage, I wouldn't bet on a quick fix.
1660309666
Thanks! =) Saul J. said: I've posted a bug report on it. The devs don't always read these discussion forums but they do read the bug report forum. So, hopefully, someone will see the post and fix the problem. But, since it's easy to see the extra damage that was added and to manually subtract that out, and since CoC isn't a top priority for them with less than 10% usage, I wouldn't bet on a quick fix.
1665261498

Edited 1665338210
I only just stumbled over this post right now. I recently (two days ago) got in direct contact with the roll20 helpdesk about this issue and they are looking into it right now. Interestingly the german translation for the rules on this topic is far more precisely. They explicitly clarify, that the damage bonus is not applied a second time. ("Grundregelwerk" page 99). I'll keep you in loop, if I hear anything new from helpdesk. Saul J. said: I've posted a bug report on it. The devs don't always read these discussion forums but they do read the bug report forum. So, hopefully, someone will see the post and fix the problem. But, since it's easy to see the extra damage that was added and to manually subtract that out, and since CoC isn't a top priority for them with less than 10% usage, I wouldn't bet on a quick fix. Update: The issue was passed directly to the conversion team and is now officially logged; no estimated time though.
Thanks for the Update Enoch! Hope this gets fixed soon... Enoch said: I only just stumbled over this post right now. I recently (two days ago) got in direct contact with the roll20 helpdesk about this issue and they are looking into it right now. Interestingly the german translation for the rules on this topic is far more precisely. They explicitly clarify, that the damage bonus is not applied a second time. ("Grundregelwerk" page 99). I'll keep you in loop, if I hear anything new from helpdesk. Saul J. said: I've posted a bug report on it. The devs don't always read these discussion forums but they do read the bug report forum. So, hopefully, someone will see the post and fix the problem. But, since it's easy to see the extra damage that was added and to manually subtract that out, and since CoC isn't a top priority for them with less than 10% usage, I wouldn't bet on a quick fix. Update: The issue was passed directly to the conversion team and is now officially logged; no estimated time though.
Why the Extreme Damage of weapons&nbsp;appears at random?&nbsp;It should appear in the event of extremely successful or at least for every dice roll, so you can use it if you need to.
Federico P. said: Why the Extreme Damage of weapons&nbsp;appears at random?&nbsp;It should appear in the event of extremely successful or at least for every dice roll, so you can use it if you need to. I did some tests. This bug happens if you use the&nbsp; roll behavior "Query (full)" . It works fine only with roll behavior "Query (Compressed)" I need&nbsp; roll behavior "Query (full)" in order to use bonus/penalty dice at start. It would be fine if Extreme damage always appears.
1665776857
I can confirm that the system randomly sometimes displays the extreme damage for a weapon, even when there is not an extreme success. One time I saw it happen with a roll of '41' when an extreme success would have needed a '14', for example. I don't use this feature in my games, so I don't normally see it. But, I did a quick test and it didn't take long to see the display... I usually have roll behavior &nbsp;set to no bonus/penalty dice &nbsp;and then have my players click the bonus/penalty link below the roll as needed.
@Roll20 Team: Any Updates to this?!
1669642871
If you're referring to my post, I issued a ticket. They confirmed the bug. They said it's been turned over to the development team and will be fixed... eventually... no ETA. TheMarkus1204 said: @Roll20 Team: Any Updates to this?!
1672351515

Edited 1672352349
Was this fixed ? I am about to run a game and want to make sure nothing wonky happens with the rolls. What should I set up my game so this doesn't happen yet the players can have bonus/penalty dies for doing things in their skills or combat ? I would need it for NPCs as well, right ? I have Pulp Cthulhu and the Down the Darker Trails Cthulhu. There are extra professions in it that aren't listed in the sources books that can be bought thru roll20. Are there any plans to add these books or the Cthulhu Dark Ages or the Renissace/Roman Cthulhu additions ?
1672372188
I don't know anything about Roll20s plans for other versions of CoC but as far as the CoC sheet is concerned, there have been no changes as far as I can tell. There are still several issues. In general, don't set the "impale" damage for weapons, calculate it yourself when an extreme success happens in combat. And set "Roll behavior" to "no bonus/penalty dice" and you should be able to muddle through ok. My group has been playing for a couple of months and we're able to muddle through.
1672500909

Edited 1672500933
I feel its a business decision. CoC doesn't pull alot compared to D&amp;D so there is no real "push" to fix things right away. Thanks for the update.
1672578406
The Keeper said: I feel its a business decision. CoC doesn't pull alot compared to D&amp;D so there is no real "push" to fix things right away. Thanks for the update. Yes, it is a business decision. However, the last time numbers were published, CoC was, IIRC in the top 5 games played. The problem is that the people are, for the most part, silent. If they were more vocal, then Roll20 might consider keeping the sheet up-to-date, fix problems, and it would encourage publishers like Chaosium to have their modules available on Roll20.&nbsp;
1672974029

Edited 1672974098
How come when I hover over abilities on the Cthulhu character sheet I don't see their associations like I do for pathfinder or D&amp;D ? Are we the red headed step children or was Cthulhu a last minute add in for roll20 with no support but they take the cash?
1672974303
Gauss
Forum Champion
The Keeper said: How come when I hover over abilities on the Cthulhu character sheet I don't see their associations like I do for pathfinder or D&amp;D ? Are we the red headed step children or was Cthulhu a last minute add in for roll20 with no support but they take the cash. "by Roll20" character sheets are not a feature you are paying for. Everyone gets them, free account or paid account.&nbsp; With that said, my suggestion is to make a suggestion, either here or in the suggestion forum.&nbsp;
That's a real bizarre way to run a business. Can you imagine Toyota saying," Here's the Body and engine of your car. You have to make your own keys and provide transmission and the rest of it to make it run?"&nbsp; I thought once I paid for all the documentation from roll20 with Chaosiums blessing that it would be included. That explains why the sheet is out of date for all the different time period/rulesets that are out now. If you guys have been asking for this and your all "champions" a new person like me would be looked upon as a shit stirrer. I don't have anything that could sway such an event from happening. I lack sugar coating, this is why I drive a fork truck for a living.
1672983042

Edited 1672983405
Gauss
Forum Champion
The Keeper said: That's a real bizarre way to run a business. Can you imagine Toyota saying," Here's the Body and engine of your car. You have to make your own keys and provide transmission and the rest of it to make it run?"&nbsp; I thought once I paid for all the documentation from roll20 with Chaosiums blessing that it would be included. That explains why the sheet is out of date for all the different time period/rulesets that are out now. If you guys have been asking for this and your all "champions" a new person like me would be looked upon as a shit stirrer. I don't have anything that could sway such an event from happening. I lack sugar coating, this is why I drive a fork truck for a living. Not at all, they are very different business models. Toyota sells a complete car, Roll20 is freemium. Free for certain things, paid for other things.&nbsp; Specifically, as a Pro you are paying for certain things, and none of those are pre-made character sheets. What Pro gives you regarding character sheets is the ability to code your own or add sheets others have coded without it going through Roll20's approval process.&nbsp; As for Forum Champion, Forum Champions are what Moderators became, but now also include ex-Roll20 staff and new people who have never been a Moderator. I started out as a (volunteer) Moderator. Your being new has nothing to do with it.&nbsp;
1673033631
Nora C.
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hello, folks! A couple bug fixes with the new year: NPC Sheet attacks now properly evaluate and roll their damage values. Extreme Successes now follow the correct damage logic for impaling weapons on the PC and NPC Sheet. (Thank you Enoch for highlighting the greater specificity in the German Translation) Please don't hesitate to report any issues that you come across, with these fixes or anywhere else on the sheet.
1673047137

Edited 1673062010
Would it be too much to ask for (on the attributes) the roll and then have the current like magic points or hitpoints ? The reason being, alot of the spells that are casted will use power. (POW) at some point of a character using it, may forget or the GM may forget and then they never get back to their baseline or exceed it on accident. Another example is a wound, Dex comes down, or an affliction (strength or constitution) then after the investigator is fully heal/restore the benchmark value would remind everyone where the max was before the afflication/curse.&nbsp; We are also missing the "Pulp Fictions" rule set ability on the character sheets for talents. You can add them in a blank text but it doesn't reflect off the sheet. If this is missing than there probably is something missing from the Harlem and French Revolution sheet as well. I quit buying once I saw things were incomplete from Roll20 character sheets.
1673066583
I'm not sure what you mean. POW lost during the game is never regained (p. 31 of the Keeper's Rulebook). Any POW a character might gain, whether siphoned from another player/NPC or gained in another way, is just added to the current POW and doing so can exceed the character's original POW so there's no reason to track any "baseline". And, in 7th edition, I'm not aware of any loss of DEX when taking a wound. Can you cite the rule if there is one and I just don't remember it? Now a Keeper may institute their own house rules for regaining POW or affecting DEX on wounds, but then they are house rules and I wouldn't expect the roll20 character sheet to support it. The Keeper said: Would it be too much to ask for (on the attributes) the roll and then have the current like magic points or hitpoints ? The reason being, alot of the spells that are casted will use power. (POW) at some point of a character using it, may forget or the GM may forget and then they never get back to their baseline or exceed it on accident. Another example is a wound, Dex comes down, or an affliction (strength or constitution) then after the investigator is fully heal/restore the benchmark value would remind everyone where the max was before the afflication/curse.&nbsp; We are also missing the "Pulp Fictions" rule set ability on the character sheets for talents. You can add them in a blank text but it doesn't reflect off the sheet. If this is missing than there probably is something missing from the Harlem and French Revolution sheet as well. I quit buying once I saw things were incomplete from Roll20 character sheets.
Age- Any kind of affliction put on a player from an enemy that brings down their stats, disease, things are wide open to alter the attributes. There are alot of spells that take pow from players as well as alter their form or have some kind of negative influence on their attributes. They do speak of Ley Lines in the game. It does have folklore magics. If POW can be taken away why shouldn't any other skill as well somehow be granted back ? It would be useful is all I am saying. You didn't touch the missing parts on the sheet for Pulp Cthulhu- and its in the shop as well as Harlem, which I dont own and the French Revolution books. If you would like to add in there what's missing then maybe we can get an up to date sheet ? We got some progress and some attention. No reason to go back to stalling it.
The other thing I forgot was the Call of Cthulhu Invictus (which isn't on roll20 yet but was brought up on another thread) weapons have hitpoints as well as shields. I don't own it yet, or the Reign of Terror or Harlem Unbound. Thats something that could be added as well. If you have any insight in the other 2 already on the marketplace to improve the sheet that would helpful. I am buying the books first.
1673080782

Edited 1673080878
Or other Eras in General! Gaslight has other Talents than 1920s, NOW has other Talents. Invictus or dark ages have other talents AND Armory / weapon HP etc. the ability to parry with a weapon... ... ... AND it would be nice to have (especially for Invictus) to have all the skills with their Start-Percentage included in the sheet! It is a hassle to have to search for them in the 7th Edition Invictus Book by Golden Goblin Press! (This would btw. be a great addition to your marketplace as well!) THING is, one of the other sheets already HAS an era selection included with all the relevant skills etc. I beliebe PULP is also included but I am not so sure about this... Might it be possible to add an Era selection to the sheet? The Keeper said: The other thing I forgot was the Call of Cthulhu Invictus (which isn't on roll20 yet but was brought up on another thread) weapons have hitpoints as well as shields. I don't own it yet, or the Reign of Terror or Harlem Unbound. Thats something that could be added as well. If you have any insight in the other 2 already on the marketplace to improve the sheet that would helpful. I am buying the books first.
@ Nora C. Would it be possible to allow the players to know the codes for abilities in the attributes and abilities or how to manipulate them like you have done with the D&amp;D character sheets ? For example- this is my stealth&nbsp; {{roll=[[1d100cs&lt;1cf&gt;96]]}}{{roll_type=[[1]]}}{{roll_target=[[floor(20/@{dice_toggle}}}{{roll_half=[[floor(20/2)]]}}{{roll_fifth=[[floor(20/5)]]}}{{roll_fifth_1=[[floor(20/5)+1]]}} When i drop it in the description tab to verify I get an error message like all the rest of the skills. Why does the Cthulhu character sheet have to be held hostage ? I haven't been a Pro user for long but some of the way things are done just baffle me. (more than learning this code that I didn't really sign up to do.) Could you help new players out with this or at least help retain them so they don't go to other platforms ?
1673183941
I don't speak for Roll20 but... what you are saying in regard to the attributes would be "home brew" which Roll20 is unlikely to support. They don't support homebrew for D&amp;D 5th edition, either. What they do with the 5e sheet is try to make the sheet flexible enough that you can do homebrew things but that's not a given. They don't have to, especially on proprietary sheets.&nbsp; If you want all that homebrew stuff that you can't do on the official sheet, you can always create your own sheet. The Keeper said: Age- Any kind of affliction put on a player from an enemy that brings down their stats, disease, things are wide open to alter the attributes. There are alot of spells that take pow from players as well as alter their form or have some kind of negative influence on their attributes. They do speak of Ley Lines in the game. It does have folklore magics. If POW can be taken away why shouldn't any other skill as well somehow be granted back ? It would be useful is all I am saying. You didn't touch the missing parts on the sheet for Pulp Cthulhu- and its in the shop as well as Harlem, which I dont own and the French Revolution books. If you would like to add in there what's missing then maybe we can get an up to date sheet ? We got some progress and some attention. No reason to go back to stalling it.
1673314448

Edited 1673314629
The issue I have right now with the roll20 sheet is if I watch a video on how to make a cool AOE for 5E. I can't look at it and reverse engineer it because I can't even adapt it with using a skill because those are a "mystery". The D&amp;D character sheet isn't a mystery, the person in the video calmly explains do this, click here on the sheet to double verify. I can't even do that with our current setup. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a macro as a player for your spot hidden, listen, stealth? Is that asking for too much ? Well, I can't do that. The codes aren't there to setup an easy macro for such a thing. You still didn't add in whats missing from the other time periods that Roll20 sells but doesn't have on the sheet. If you wear out debating or arguing this point then we lose momentum then it'll be another 3-6 months because you took it the wrong direction and bored eyes watching over the meat of the problem. What would make the game better with the sheet. Do you have anything positive to add or just like typing in circles ? We lose if that's the case.
1673315659

Edited 1673315889
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Keeper said: Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a macro as a player for your spot hidden, listen, stealth? Is that asking for too much ? Well, I can't do that. The codes aren't there to setup an easy macro for such a thing. Actually, you can. Here are three methods: 1. Any player can drag a roll button from the sheet to their macro qucikbar. This is possible with any sheet that has roll buttons. Click and hold on the character's Stealth skill (you'll see it highlight when you hover over it, indicating it is clickable) and drag it to the bottom of the sheet. You sill see the bottom of the sheet turn grey and the words "Add roll to Macro Quickbar" appear. Release your hold when that button is at the very bottom of the sheet, and a macro for that roll for that character will appear on the macro quickbar. (Note that you may have to turn on "Show macro quick bar?" on the macro section of the Collections tab). 2. Click the Stealth button on the character sheet. It will roll the skill. Now place your cursor in the Chat input box and press the up arrow key. This will show you the code that was sent to chat to make that roll. You can paste that directly into a macro. Any player can do this as well. If you replace the character name with the word "selected", that macro will work for any selected token that represents a character. If you click "Show as token action" while editing the macro, it will display as a token action button (top of the screen) whenever you select a token but will otherwise be invisible. If you set the permissions to "All players", players will be able to use this button as well. 3. Get the code as in step 2 but go to the "Attributes and Abilities" tab of any character journal. Create an ability and set it to display as a token action. It will now behave as the button above, but only when a token representing that particular character is selected. Here is the code for a universal Stealth roll, retrieved as per step 2 above: @{selected|roll_whisper} &amp;{template:callofcthulhu} {{name=@{selected|character_name}}} {{title=@{selected|stealth_name}}} @{selected|roll_option} @{selected|stealth_roll} {{roll_bonus=[@{selected|translation_bonuspenalty}](~@{selected|character_id}|bonus)}}
1673316111
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's an example. Same code, three different tokens selected.
1673317054

Edited 1673318364
I will set it up as a button for them. I get the "Add roll to macro bar" but then nothing. I'll look in this characters setup- it might be off. I know 1 isn't I have him setup for something already. I have everything on "edit" in the game. I'll keep fiddling with it . I have so many macros it was overlapping on my existing ones. I got my stealth to come up. I'll plug it in for the player now.&nbsp; Hmm- it didnt ask me to be visible to all players. It works, so ill take that as a win!
If I make it a token action then I won't see it as a GM ? Trying to remove clutter but give the players more freedom from having to flip thru their sheet.
Would it be better to put the most common used skill sin a chat menu than have these macros on everyone ?&nbsp;
1673321960
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Keeper said: I will set it up as a button for them. I get the "Add roll to macro bar" but then nothing. I'll look in this characters setup- it might be off. I know 1 isn't I have him setup for something already. I have everything on "edit" in the game. I'll keep fiddling with it . I have so many macros it was overlapping on my existing ones. I got my stealth to come up. I'll plug it in for the player now.&nbsp; Hmm- it didnt ask me to be visible to all players. It works, so ill take that as a win! The&nbsp;"Add roll to macro quick bar" is a little finicky. The bottom of the sheet will turn gray, and then as you get the button to the very bottom, a second, thinner gray line will appear. That's the one you want. That is more of a player tool, though, since the button will only ever appear for the user that made it. You can't set up a button for another user this way.This is why it doesn't &nbsp;ask you to be visible to all players. Use method 2 or 3 if you are setting buttons up for someone else. And yes, a&nbsp; Chat Menu &nbsp;would be less cluttered. The syntax for a Chat Menu is much simpler on a&nbsp; Macro Character Sheet .
1673322978

Edited 1673323014
I got it working and started making these macros. I have them selected as token action and show in macro bar. I didn't get the prompt asking me if I can show to all. I know I've seen a video about this or done it. I didn't commit it to memory on how to find it. (I am saving everything to a word document from here on out though once I do it.) How do I get it just to roll 2 dice ? the Tens die and the ones die ? It likes to throw a bazillion on the table.
1673329519
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To see the permissions field, you need to scroll down while the edit box is open. Unless you do that, the token actions/macros will only be available to you. A&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;is useful for testing. I assume you mean the 3d dice? It's dependent on the sheet and system, but if a roll could possibly use more dice (like a critical hit in DnD), the engine must roll all the dice possible. One of the functions of a roll template is to hide the roll results that aren't needed. But generally, the game doesn't know how many dice will be needed before rolling, so it must roll all dice that might be needed. There might be workarounds, (for example, on the 5e sheet, you can decide not to roll damage until the to hit roll has already been completed, thus the condition dice will never be needed) but I don't know CoC well enough. So probably not.
1673391004

Edited 1673391090
I don't know it well enough either if anyone else would know that's actually played ;their input could maybe make this better ? I just asked it to roll (with the dice and animation and it throws about 8-10 dice out. I'm old school. We just had 2 dice back in the day. I know my players will ask me ," what the hell is all this" if I leave it on.&nbsp; When you decide if there is a penalty die or bonus die- does the screen change colors for the PCs or is it the same no matter what ? I figure it would say "- and a number value" when its an advantage (and a green border) and "+ and a number value" for a penalty and it be a red border. Instead it just throws a number down. Is that correct ?&nbsp;&nbsp;
1673394399
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Keeper said: I don't know it well enough either if anyone else would know that's actually played ;their input could maybe make this better ? I just asked it to roll (with the dice and animation and it throws about 8-10 dice out. I'm old school. We just had 2 dice back in the day. I know my players will ask me ," what the hell is all this" if I leave it on.&nbsp; If the extra dice bother you, turn off 3d dice. If a die can be used in a roll, it must be rolled. 3d dice can't be hidden, because the animation has to start before the result is known. A roll template is generated after the fact and will only show you the relevant dice.
OK. I just shut it off. I really like seeing them roll for some reason. I just know someone will rip into me "why" and then drone on about it instead of play the game.
1673406405
FWIW, I play with the animated dice off. They put a drain on the system (often slowing things down) and don't really add anything to the game. Once the template comes up, I have the players click the "bonus/penalty" words at the bottom of the template, if they have a bonus or penalty, and this works just fine. I do recommend that you have the players set the rolls to "verbose" at the top of the sheet. The Keeper said: OK. I just shut it off. I really like seeing them roll for some reason. I just know someone will rip into me "why" and then drone on about it instead of play the game.
Is that something that roll 20 could improve on? Seems the majority shut it off. Why have a feature that isn't efficient?
1673459588

Edited 1673459666
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some people like it regardless. Also, not every system uses conditional dice. Finally, some people aren't using sheets or roll templates at all, but putting in their own dice expressions. You can also reduce the issue by turning off options on some sheets that require conditional dice, like "always roll advantage" or "roll damage automatically" on the 5e sheet.
Well, if there's input lag.. should that be improved or can it be made better?
1673466908
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The lag is generally on the user side (from my experience) with 3d dice due to rendering the models and animation.&nbsp; The more there are, the greater the time it takes for the webgl (I assume those are webgl along with the rest of the vtt) render to complete and display inside your browser.&nbsp; I have no idea how much optimization is possible to make for lighter processing on the client side.&nbsp; I know they have been working towards some UI changes, but I don't know if that extends to 3D dice or not.
1673468766
It may not all be on the client side. I've found that a number of the problems I've experienced in my games have to do with networking. As a former systems programmer, specializing in networking, I can see evidence that a lot of the problems with voice, video, 3d dice, opening pages, etc. are, to at least a majority extent, networking issues. I could go into detail but it's probably more than people want to see here. Suffice it to say that client-server methodologies are very complex and, more often than not, it's receiving the data on the client side that's the problem, not rendering it. But, this is all irrelevant. The bottom line is that I doubt that Roll20 can fix the problems. Whether they are networking, or client side issues, they would be very difficult to fix in a way that will work for everyone. This is why a lot of people have moved to other vtts that don't rely as heavily on browser technology, or would have fewer problems from networking because of the way those vtts work.&nbsp;
1673478560

Edited 1673478682
Ah. I use discord and don't rely on video/voice coms from roll20. I saw a Foundry comparison (for D&amp;D) but I am an odd person that likes Cthulhu and not so much D&amp;D,Pathfinder. For that, I noticed looking into the free trial of Foundry that COC is in beta-ish mode. Hopefully good things happen for 1 company or the other. I don't see a positive gain for me at this point to leave roll20 to jump into a "beta-ish" of Foundry and relive the headaches and repurchase everything I bought here.
1673480751
I feel ya. I wanted to switch to Foundry because I felt the set-up was better, and it had better graphics. But, when I looked at all the things I had purchased for D&amp;D here, and that I'd have to re-purchase - the cost and the headaches involved - I decided not to move. And that's how companies keep customers... nothing wrong with that, it's the American way. :-) The Keeper said: Ah. I use discord and don't rely on video/voice coms from roll20. I saw a Foundry comparison (for D&amp;D) but I am an odd person that likes Cthulhu and not so much D&amp;D,Pathfinder. For that, I noticed looking into the free trial of Foundry that COC is in beta-ish mode. Hopefully good things happen for 1 company or the other. I don't see a positive gain for me at this point to leave roll20 to jump into a "beta-ish" of Foundry and relive the headaches and repurchase everything I bought here.