Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dark Mode VTT Bug Thread

I checked one of my Starfinder games and THAT needs some work!! Missing the left half of the sheet, YIKES then on my Bio page Writing for my bio looks cool but kinda hard to read....... Tom

Edited 1646656981
A little more contrast would be nice. Black on dark purple is NOT a good combination! (Roll-Template for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition (GERMAN)). If the Roll-template in this case stays the same as in lightmode, please DO NOT change colors!

Edited 1646667995
While signed in as a Player! As you can see, this group is Empty! It ALWAYS is if you are ONLY Player and did not create the campaign for someone else! (Apply defaults) EITHER HIDE this group if empty OR place the darkmode toggle there! This way, the group has its right to be displayed!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Tom said: I checked one of my Starfinder games and THAT needs some work!! ... Missing the left half of the sheet, YIKES then on my Bio page ... Writing for my bio looks cool but kinda hard to read....... Tom The Starfinder sheet definitely needs a dark mode pass. It does not look like it has had one yet, so you may want to hold off on DM for a Starfinder campaign. As for the Bio page, this is what you will see if any custom formatting has been applied. Although this can happen if you manually change the color, the most common cause is composing the text elsewhere and pasting it into Roll20 without doing a clean paste. Formatting can carry through. The DM interpreter can account for paragraph-style-level formatting (H1, H2) but can't know how to change character level or inline styled text. Easiest fix is to select all the text and use the eraser button ("remove formatting"). That should restore the ability to flip modes legibly, while preserving the basic style sheet.
TheMarkus1204 said: While signed in as a Player! As you can see, this group is Empty! It ALWAYS is if you are ONLY Player and did not create the campaign for someone else! (Apply defaults) EITHER HIDE this group if empty OR place the darkmode toggle there! This way, the group has its right to be displayed! I agree with you, but for now, please do NOT hide this in the settings page.  While we are still dealing with tons of readability issues across the platform with it, I want the toggle directly accessible without having to change tabs please.  
I don't even know if this will ever be considered because its a third party tool DM's use, but it is like...the most used tool I'm aware of in the DM community.... If you use Microsoft One Note to manage your world building and general stuff for your campaigns, and you use this app in darkmode, if you then take that apps text which is properly shaded in darkmode, and paste it into a handout in roll20, it reverses the formatting and colors and makes it impossible to read the text.   Roll20 Handout: Microsoft One Note:
DM Eddie said: I don't even know if this will ever be considered because its a third party tool DM's use, but it is like...the most used tool I'm aware of in the DM community.... If you use Microsoft One Note to manage your world building and general stuff for your campaigns, and you use this app in darkmode, if you then take that apps text which is properly shaded in darkmode, and paste it into a handout in roll20, it reverses the formatting and colors and makes it impossible to read the text.   Roll20 Handout: Microsoft One Note: Have you tried to remove text formatting in Roll20 (In the Handout directly)? @keithcurtis mentioned something like it earlier.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Many programs (Microsoft ones especially) insert a LOT of formatting characters. Especially ones that either exist online or interface with online sources will do this with html and css. (exclusive desktop programs might use rtf, but have an option to export as html). That formatting overrides dark mode. Darkmode attempts to put a switch on interpretation of basic classes at the time of rendering. This is so all viewers can look at the same information and view it according to their preference. It appears that OneNote uses in-line styling. That's going to trump darkmode. The only other option would be to forbid all in-line styling in favor of something like Markdown (like Discord does). I doubt everyone wants to give up WYSIWYG formatting in favor of Markdown. The solution is to clean paste without formatting (holding down the shift key when pasting on most systems). Or paste normally, select all and use the eraser button in the editor bar to remove formatting. This should preserve basic headers, but will strip all the code that is telling the text for example, to be all black, no matter what.
keithcurtis said: Many programs (Microsoft ones especially) insert a LOT of formatting characters. Especially ones that either exist online or interface with online sources will do this with html and css. (exclusive desktop programs might use rtf, but have an option to export as html). That formatting overrides dark mode. Darkmode attempts to put a switch on interpretation of basic classes at the time of rendering. This is so all viewers can look at the same information and view it according to their preference. It appears that OneNote uses in-line styling. That's going to trump darkmode. The only other option would be to forbid all in-line styling in favor of something like Markdown (like Discord does). I doubt everyone wants to give up WYSIWYG formatting in favor of Markdown. The solution is to clean paste without formatting (holding down the shift key when pasting on most systems). Or paste normally, select all and use the eraser button in the editor bar to remove formatting. This should preserve basic headers, but will strip all the code that is telling the text for example, to be all black, no matter what. I was unaware of shift paste, thank you.  Fwiw the reverse also happens, if I paste tables in handouts out to one note hehe.  

Edited 1646835997
One on this on: Crit damage is whited out.
After fixing my players vicious rapier's added damage, blacked out: 
Multiclass hit dice boxes are just giant white beacons. Like this on one of my player's sheets and his other sheet in a different game we're in together. This is even the same hit dice, both d8's in both cases. And the GM/Public and Normal/Adv/Dadv toggles are still white and bright red. I have to add my voice to the dislike of the toggle being on the VTT, no matter whatever your reasons are. It's pretty simple to go into the settings cogwheel and check or uncheck a box rather than having it awkwardly hanging out in space. I see the colors in the features and traits and npc sheets have been changed, though, as well as a change in formatting to the death saves (the green and red colors is a nice touch!), so thank you for that. Please fix the font and all of the overlap issues and the weird formatting with the bubbles (boxes are your friend). Also, why do the skill checks highlight the applicable stat instead of the skill in question? It looks especially ridiculous on Animal Handling, highlighting only (W...

Edited 1646988557
I really don't get why not only the font was changed but also everything else... Given the Screenshot above at least the round corners regarding attacks and I guess Inventory are fixed? Those for the skills and attributes are still there as sad as it is... Maybe let the Buttons for Roll-Options have either the same color as the Features / Traits OR the same as the other tabs (Core / Bio / Spells)...
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
This is what the audio manager still looks like. The glaring contrast between the bright waveform background and dark everything else makes it a migraine to look at.
I agree that it's good to let people know the feature exists, but it's been a week now, and the switch should be migrated to the settings tab as soon as possible. Now it's just wasting screen space, since it covers things below it. It would be best if there were two settings: one to set the light/dark mode, and a separate one to have the switch displayed under the tool palette (making things the way they used to be, without the switch). The best of both worlds! My issue is that I will never  use this, because the color choices in dark mode make it impossible for me to read much of the text. If it was straight black and white it would have some limited utility, but as it is now, it is useless for older users: dark red or purple text on a black background is impossible for geezers like me to read. There are so many color choices embedded in the underlying logic (highlighting critical hits, header colors, colors that might be used in the compendium, etc.) that I worry the developers will be spending the next year fiddling with this.  keithcurtis said: I think there is value in the mode switch being prominent for the time being. This is a new feature whiuch drastically changes the experience, and it needs to be prominent for folks who don't follow forums, twitter, read release notes, etc. I think it should eventually be migrated to the settings tab though.

Edited 1646964871
Gold
Forum Champion
Played my 1st game in Dark Mode this week. It's a step in the right direction for accessibility, for me. Bug: /me /em The styling on this needs work for Dark Mode. 1. If the /me contains an [[inline roll]] the roll results are completely unreadable. Due to color combination. Grey text on Purple background for inline rolls in em's? Please change the text color to a better contrast. 2. The dark-orange text on dark-near-black background, is very dim, almost unreadable to me, a slight increase in contrast would help. 3. Also (last and least-important) this chat command has a Yellow Highlight in regular bright mode, there's no visible background highlight color there in Dark Mode. I'm raising this one because I don't think that it is a "Roll Template", nor determined by the Character Sheet.  This code and styling is built-in default Roll20 chat room command, even with no Character Sheet assigned on the game. Thanks for taking a look.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It seems like it's been a while since the last update, and a lot of the reported issues have not been addressed. Is this still under active development?
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Replies I've seen on the Discord server suggest - maybe? Staff users are still responding to people, asking them to submit bug reports and there was something recently about upcoming "dark mode best practices" for marketplace creators.
Rolltemplate rolls are not readable Vs
keithcurtis said: It seems like it's been a while since the last update, and a lot of the reported issues have not been addressed. Is this still under active development? I hope it is! Something half-baken like this is unacceptable!
I was making some sheets earlier, and adding tags as you do, and the tag editing field doesn't seem to have applied the dark mode styling correctly. Also, there's a weird box in the text area where I'm typing for some reason. 
Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 staff answer on Discord?  What discord site is that, if you can, please share? Christopher K said: Replies I've seen on the Discord server suggest - maybe? Staff users are still responding to people, 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Gold said: Roll20 staff answer on Discord?  What discord site is that, if you can, please share? It is the Reddit discord.  There isn't exactly a lot of chatter with the staff that are on there, but sometimes we can get answers to sheet or api issues. So, if you track it down through Reddit and join, don't expect it to be a line straight to the devs, because it really isn't.
gifs and PNGs added to spell descriptions get inverted by dark mode but not when part of an attack. Switching to light mode fixes the inverted ones. These were added with the following text to the description [x](<a href="https://64.media.tumblr.com/0633943f8a207ee26e556ddbc4224e2e/tumblr_pqcctjXEkV1y7fualo1_1280.gifv#.png" rel="nofollow">https://64.media.tumblr.com/0633943f8a207ee26e556ddbc4224e2e/tumblr_pqcctjXEkV1y7fualo1_1280.gifv#.png</a>)

Edited 1647301964
Me and my friends RP in text and frequently use emotes, but the orange-brown emote text is WAY too dark. It really, really needs to be lightened up.
My dark mode notification wont let me click dismiss, only the X. so it pops up every time. Also it wont turn on, clicking the toggle has no effect. Im using a windows 10 pc and chrome. Dont have any extensions. any advice how to get it working?&nbsp;
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello Roll20 You should really take a look at inline rolls for emoted text. Here is an example /em such a good color scheme [[10]] / [[10]] Light Mode Dark Mode Please make the text a bit more readable :)
Hi everyone, We have been working diligently on updates to the Dark Mode VTT and gathering the feedback folks have been sharing here and via the Product Portal . Unfortunately we haven’t kept up with updating the top level post with known and resolved issues-- this is now up-to-date with our internal logs. We are continuing to gather and prioritize the feedback everyone has been providing with priority placed on accessibility improvements. We recently also provided some additional information within the Dark Mode Suggestion thread on some other future work as well .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Emotes in dark mode are still unreadable (see above post). This should probably be on the top post list.

Edited 1647660019
Contrast issue: some monster actions in the D&amp;D 5E compendium display invisibly, as black text on a black background, in chat. For example, see the Darkmantle's Crush attack (also shown: "Talking to Myself" tag appears as light gray on white, and overlaps the chat display): The text is only visible via highlighting: (Although the all-enveloping darkness is thematic for the monster, it would be easier on the DM is the text were visible.) By contrast, the Darkmantle's "Darkness Aura" displays the text properly as white on black. (The name of the monster is still too dark.) Edit: Ah! Thank you for identifying the issue, keithcurtis.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yep, it's the "Attack" field. If that is checked, you get black text. This is a Roll template issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is also the default template used by the Supernotes API: npcatk. This is not good.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Furthermore, it inverts images. This is really not good.
My players can see the rolls properly, but I cannot.&nbsp; We have compared browser extensions and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get purple like all my players have.&nbsp; I turned off windows dark mode, I turned off all extensions and my boxes are yellow in a barebones chrome and firefox browsers.&nbsp; What am I doing wrong?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The greatest likelihood is that you are dealing with cached data. Try dumping your cache and reloading.
keithcurtis said: The greatest likelihood is that you are dealing with cached data. Try dumping your cache and reloading. Already tried that.&nbsp; What color are they suppose to be, all I know is 2 of my players have purple, is it some extension they have and the default is yellow/white?&nbsp; This is just doing [[1d6]] in chat.&nbsp;&nbsp;
DM Eddie said: My players can see the rolls properly, but I cannot.&nbsp; We have compared browser extensions and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get purple like all my players have.&nbsp; I turned off windows dark mode, I turned off all extensions and my boxes are yellow in a barebones chrome and firefox browsers.&nbsp; What am I doing wrong? Same problem. But for me it was purple an hour ago, but now it's yellow for some reason.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
For me, the yellow was stored in cache.&nbsp; If you have cleared cache and you still have the yellow, I have no idea what might be making the yellow stick around for you with the vtt set to dark mode.&nbsp; The only other thing I would say is to test in a private/incognito window to see if it is being retained by a browser extension.

Edited 1647706307
The other way around for me: I get very-light-gray-on-yellow after clearing the cache (and after toggling Dark Mode off and on to make it fully "take"). No extensions; same results in a private window. The output for "Testing [[1d20]]": I know I've seen the purple before but I don't know how I got it. Edit: If I clear the cache and then open Roll20 *without* toggling Dark Mode, I get a readable inline roll (dark gray on yellow) but unreadable chat text (dark gray on black): Toggling Dark Mode off and on reverts the text to very light gray text. The backgrounds remain black and yellow: My browser is Firefox 98.0.1, if it matters.
These Buttons still look kinda wrong compared to the Lightmode Buttons. Is it only me or are those displayed Bold? Just compare both of them.
Today the token tooltip are in light grey on white background in dark mode. It's not readable :( It was ok 2 days earlier
Onirim said: Today the token tooltip are in light grey on white background in dark mode. It's not readable :( It was ok 2 days earlier Yup, same here. The tooltip background used to be dark and now it's white. Toggling Dark mode off and on fails to help.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Now that I have cleared my cache on both browsers again, I am now seeing the yellow backgrounds on both Chrome and Firefox.&nbsp; It only applies to the inline rolls, while the regular rolls (/r 1d20) still display the dark mode setup.&nbsp; So something has broken or disabled just the inline roll dark mode as far as dice rolls in text chat goes.
Kraynic said: Now that I have cleared my cache on both browsers again, I am now seeing the yellow backgrounds on both Chrome and Firefox.&nbsp; It only applies to the inline rolls, while the regular rolls (/r 1d20) still display the dark mode setup.&nbsp; So something has broken or disabled just the inline roll dark mode as far as dice rolls in text chat goes. I get what you are saying but heres the thing about my report on the issue....I rolled the rolls myself, one with /roll and one with [[]].&nbsp; Then I had my players share their screenshots of those roll results in chat.&nbsp; 2 players saw the purple version, and the rest of us saw the yellow including my dummy account.&nbsp; I have still not seen a purple inline roll like that yet and because yellow/white is unreadable I cannot run darkmode.&nbsp; Darkmode essentially is the new UDL, its optional, eating dev time, and is never reliable :(
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
DM Eddie said: I have still not seen a purple inline roll like that yet and because yellow/white is unreadable I cannot run darkmode.&nbsp; Darkmode essentially is the new UDL, its optional, eating dev time, and is never reliable :( On the 6th, I couldn't see the purple backgrounds on Firefox, while I could on Chrome.&nbsp; It required clearing cache on Firefox to see the purple backgrounds, but not on Chrome because I almost never use it and it apparently didn't have the yellow background in cache.&nbsp; That worked fine until I cleared cache in both to see if that would allow me to see what other people were seeing, so... dark mode probably worked fine (for rolls in chat) for 10 days!&nbsp; :p I have to admit that it always makes me nervous when updates hit on a Friday.&nbsp; Bug fixes hitting on Friday for an update earlier in the week seem a bit more reliable, but updates on Fridays...&nbsp; I am glad that I just removed roll background highlights on the roll templates for my sheets, and moved to a more "neutral" background.&nbsp; Basically, I ignored dark mode and made something that would be usable either way.&nbsp; So far my paranoia is paying off.

Edited 1647789591
Why is this happening?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Is this how something is set up from the compendium, or is this a custom macro.&nbsp; From looking at a 5E test game, it looks like you are using the npcaction roll template (which uses the greenish text and decoration.&nbsp; On all the srd creatures I have checked, they use the npcatk roll template for any attacks, and the npcaction template for text only descriptions.&nbsp; The npcatk template is displaying the rolls differently.&nbsp; If this is something you set up manually, you might want to change the template used for the output to the npcatk template.

Edited 1647796586
Kraynic said: Is this how something is set up from the compendium, or is this a custom macro.&nbsp; From looking at a 5E test game, it looks like you are using the npcaction roll template (which uses the greenish text and decoration.&nbsp; On all the srd creatures I have checked, they use the npcatk roll template for any attacks, and the npcaction template for text only descriptions.&nbsp; The npcatk template is displaying the rolls differently.&nbsp; If this is something you set up manually, you might want to change the template used for the output to the npcatk template. I am using a Tomb of Annihilation module. Everything was normal with the dark mode until yesterday I think. The attack outputs became like the image I posted above. I am not using any macros, just the monster and npc sheets from the adventure modules. I've been told on discord that it may be a bug.&nbsp;
How can a bare bones install of chrome on two windows 10 pc's in the same room where the firefox browser is the actual workhorse browser and chrome just exists for roll20....see different color schemes in dark mode.&nbsp; I literally cannot wrap my head around this guys and people look like they are glossing over this.&nbsp; Thats not seperate types of rolls in my screenshot, that is 2 different PC's with their dark mode looking at the same post with AFAIK barebones same installs of the OS and chrome.&nbsp; I do not understand this at all.&nbsp; And if I turn on the darkmode extension thats free to use already, everything works just fine we all see the same colors.&nbsp; This is just so weird.&nbsp; Can they not like...cut and paste the free to download made for free by the community extension and go from there lol?&nbsp; It'd be one thing if I saw red and black while they saw purple and white, but I'm the DM and I'm stuck seeing white on yellow and the devs probably see purple and white or red and black and have no way to replicate the bug I'm reporting so how broken does this project have to be...while the extension we already used is sitting there pristine and perfectly working...