Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dark Mode VTT Bug Thread

Edited 1647632433
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Greetings all! Starting today, Dark Mode is now available on the VTT. To Activate/Deactivate Dark Mode is simply toggle the switch located below the toolbar on the left. We are opening this thread to consolidate bug reports regarding this update so we can address them promptly. If you wish to provide feedback and bug reports, you can do so via the link below! Product Portal here To submit feedback, simply select an option regarding “How important is this to you?”, input your feedback and email address, and it will be immediately logged in our system! You can also opt to receive updates regarding the status of the feature directly in this manner. If you would like to attach a screenshot to the Product Portal it will require the use of a 3rd party image hosting service. Heads up! With Dark Mode on VTT it is especially important to double check any extensions you may have active! Extensions that modify the appearance of pages or of the VTT may cause some unintended side effects. Screenshots Screenshots Screenshots! As this update is largely visual in nature, if you are reporting a bug one of the best ways to do so is with a screenshot! Frequently Asked Questions Why aren't font colors changing? With a font color choice included in the text editor, GMs can choose the color of the text in Notes for both Characters and Handouts. We automatically switch the text with the default font color selected, but we want to make sure we honor the color choice whenever that choice is made. Why is the switch right there? With the agency provided by Dark Mode the option was best determined to be front and center. If encountering a hard to read text color, a character sheet that isn't optimized for dark mode, or an old note you haven't read in a while, you can swap back without needing to edit text or change character sheets. Known Issues Virtual Tabletop Toggling dark mode doesn’t effect popped out character sheets Character sheet errors on Linux with dark mode Can’t set dark mode for roll templates → sheet-rolltemplate-darkmode is now an available class Details turns white in some situations Default Roll Template text vs Background color contrast Transparent text boxes when editing tokens and token markers Inline Roll text vs background color contrast The active turn in the Turn Tracker text vs background color contrast “Rolling Dice” message text vs background color contrast Roll20 Official D&D 5e Character Sheet Bonus attack damage has white background Charactermancer headings, spell titles, and exit screen difficult to read Roll type toggles Spell descriptions not in dark mode Text Area when editing 5e NPC Character sheets Small text typeface size is too small Extra Abilities loose dark mode styling (examples include Sneak damage and Radiant damage)
As I don't see this mentioned here, but have seen it voiced many times in two separate threads: Please move the Toggle function into the Settings section, and not on the main window view. It is looks obnoxious, and takes up viewable space.
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
Most of this concerns the DnD 5th edition sheet, which is maintained by Roll20, and should have been reworked thoroughly as part of such a change.   Parts of the roll clearly do not follow darkmode formatting, and the second damage output number is invisible. These fonts and colors are just difficult to read. The grey background of the VSM spellcomponent indicator is very obnoxious, as is the purplish tint of the + and lock buttons. The font is small, and too bright, making it a headache to read. Known issues: bad contrast and colors etc. Small font etc, also why are the checkbox backgrounds so bright, and the blue just doesn't mesh with the dark scheme. Again, part of roll output is not formatting consistently. Excuse me, what happened here? These colors are reminiscent of a mid 90's edgy personal website designs. Finally, this thing takes up way too much space on the screen, when it's a one-flick setting that most people will set to their favorite one time, and then never touch again. It needs to be tucked in the Cogwheel settings menu.
The 5e OGL Spell Template accessed through &{template:spell} (and possibly others) seem to be inverting colors in the text stream.
Hey folks, We've added a brief "FAQ" section regarding font colors chosen via the text editor (handouts, character bio, GM notes etc.) as well as the switch location. Calistocrates, Regarding the roll template issues, are you utilizing any addons/extensions in your browser? Does this only seem to happen with attacks using "Sneak" or other similar damage modifiers?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think there is value in the mode switch being prominent for the time being. This is a new feature whiuch drastically changes the experience, and it needs to be prominent for folks who don't follow forums, twitter, read release notes, etc. I think it should eventually be migrated to the settings tab though. The top posts lists nearly everything I have noted. As for color choices, I fear there is no solution to make everyone happy. I think a lot of the readability issues will disappear once the font issue is fixed. I am assuming the font family changes for readability reasons of light on dark, but yeah, large will definitely help. Are there studies which suggest that this serifed font is easier to read in reverse than the sans font used in positive?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
@Calistocrates The screen shot you posted of the bio suggests that some sort of formatting was applied, other than the default. The bios I've looked at in my home game don't display that way. Did you compose then copy and paste into that field? That could have caused some unwanted formatting to tag along. What happens if you edit, select all and then hit the eraser button (remove formatting)? Do you see it on a fresh sheet or handout?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would like to say that I looked back over the 7 or so issues I sent to the portal and was pleased to see they were all addressed (except maybe the ability for the API to return the dark mode state, but that's understandable).

Edited 1646262722
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
Just a couple of adblockers and Disconnect for browser addons. The erroneous coloring happens with the attack Description info box, and seemingly at random with any global damage modifier rolls. The numbers also vanish when the roll output gives the 'blue' output color when crits and fumbles mix together.
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
As for the pre-formatting, Keith, you are probably correct on that one.
On the point regarding templates this extends to the standard attack&damage template used for the attack roll and other sections of the standard 5e sheet. Items such as emoji's and images are colour inverted if included in the template once sent to the text stream. Within the character sheet the multiclass hitdice tracker is also not properly darkened remaining with a white background but now white/grey text that is not legible. The advantage and whisper toggles are not following the same purple theme for the other buttons on that upper row. They remain in the White and Red they standardly appear in. The attack rolls section lacks clarity between items. A small bit of spacing / trimming and a darker shade to the bubbles would improve clarity. For example the button like theme of the skill checks is more easily legible and clear without changing the spacing.

Edited 1646263286
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
Just to showcase the vanishing blue number issue. In the default whitemode some formatting also overrides the 'blue', but that doesn't seem to work with darkmode.
Why did the font go from sans serif to serif, and why is it red on black? Burns to read and makes Dark Mode unusable as a DM
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think there may be some unintended consequences of this change.&nbsp; I have been tinkering with one of my sheets to bring it forward into CSE, and maybe provide a uniform look with or without dark mode.&nbsp; For some reason the Add buttons no longer work on the Attributes &amp; Abilities tab in the Character Sheet Sandbox.&nbsp; So, no adding ability macros in those games, and then using them to test the look of chat menus in my roll templates.&nbsp; Then I realized that on a sheet that should have some attributes populated, no attributes show on the A&amp;A tab either.&nbsp; Is it possible that something in the sheet code is interfering somehow with the entire Attributes &amp; Abilities tab?&nbsp; I took the code used in that sandbox, and put it in a live game with the sheet set to "Custom".&nbsp; I get the same behavior there. Sandbox where this was happening: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/sheetsandbox/settings/12551893" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/sheetsandbox/settings/12551893</a> Game where this is happening: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/12624310/palladium-1e-cse-testing" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/12624310/palladium-1e-cse-testing</a> Everything seems to work in other games, but there is something problematic in what I have done with this version of the sheet (thankfully this isn't anything submitted to github).&nbsp; I don't see any errors in the console, but if I have managed to get this behavior by accident, I expect someone else will as well.
Maybe not an often seen message, but a thing still worth adjusting imo. This is a brighter looking red than the one used for 'features and traits' main names currently, and since while using dark mode I'd wish to put less strain on the eyes - I'd love for it to be toned down.
Another new feature release, another bevy of issues right away.&nbsp; Having trouble clicking on tokens, group trying to switch between browsers to resolve, toggle dark mode on and off, screen lagging. Why are no Roll20 releases ever smooth?&nbsp; Why are they released during evening prime time and not off hours? Disappointing once again. -Adam
I have a basic question: How are you all managing to turn on dark mode for the D&amp;D 5e by Roll20 character sheets? I have dark mode turned on for the VTT, but still have the white background for the character sheets.

Edited 1646268263
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sarah, try turning Dark Mode off and on again.&nbsp; That fixed it for me.&nbsp; I had the same issue of logging in to find it on by default, but largely not working with the DND5E OGL character sheet.
After this release, using the measure tool while in "hide from others"&nbsp; mode completely breaks roll20, resulting in the following error: Console error: "Uncaught TypeError: Failed to execute 'drawImage' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': The provided value is not of type '(CSSImageValue or HTMLCanvasElement or HTMLImageElement or HTMLVideoElement or ImageBitmap or OffscreenCanvas or SVGImageElement or VideoFrame)'." Also, it seems like you need to hard refresh your browser (ctr+f5 on chrome) after this release otherwise all sorts of things stop working (like moving tokens, zooming, panning, etc) Also, getting audio and video to connect between everyone is even more painful than usual. We can only get either the players to hear the dm but not each other, or the players to hear each other but not the dm. We're used to having to do some reconnections to get everyone connected, but this time we couldn't get it to work in like half an hour of trying so we had to move off platform.
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'd very much like the formatting between Dark Mode and Default Mode to match.&nbsp; Ideally, Dark Mode should only be a color shift, not something which causes reformatting of text/buttons such as token action macros.
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Marius M. said: After this release, using the measure tool while in "hide from others"&nbsp; mode completely breaks roll20, resulting in the following error: Console error: "Uncaught TypeError: Failed to execute 'drawImage' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': The provided value is not of type '(CSSImageValue or HTMLCanvasElement or HTMLImageElement or HTMLVideoElement or ImageBitmap or OffscreenCanvas or SVGImageElement or VideoFrame)'." Also, it seems like you need to hard refresh your browser (ctr+f5 on chrome) after this release otherwise all sorts of things stop working (like moving tokens, zooming, panning, etc) I was able to reproduce this easily on Firefox.&nbsp; Animated Gif showing issue below:
Sarah, try turning Dark Mode off and on again.&nbsp; That fixed it for me.&nbsp; I had the same issue of logging in to find it on by default, but largely not working with the DND5E OGL character sheet. That did it! Thank you, Intelligent Human! (I hesistate to call you "Dumb.")
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sarah R. Cohen said: Sarah, try turning Dark Mode off and on again.&nbsp; That fixed it for me.&nbsp; I had the same issue of logging in to find it on by default, but largely not working with the DND5E OGL character sheet. That did it! Thank you, Intelligent Human! (I hesistate to call you "Dumb.") I clicked all over that character sheet for a good three minutes looking for an additional Dark Mode button before trying the big one on the main screen.&nbsp; Believe me, I earn my namesake every day!

Edited 1646270510
In switching between light and dark mode, I have a strange effect on chat text. I use the Message of the Day script to summarize the last session, and display it in whisper mode to anyone who logs in.&nbsp; In light mode it is a chat-printed version of the contents of a handout, and true to the original. In dark mode, the text alternates between light letters and dim, gray letters. The switchpoints occur at colons and at line feeds, but not all colons and not all linefeeds.&nbsp; The dim gray letters are unreadable on the black background. compare

Edited 1646325896
Hi. I don't know if this is dark mode related but it seems connected. I logged into a game that I am a player in this evening. When I initially logged in everything was fine. I toggled on dark mode and now my map screen is totally black. I toggled dark mode off, reloaded the page, logged out and back in and my DM even completely re-created my token. All black.&nbsp; ***** Update ***** After multiple assurances from my DM that he checked everything on his end and it was all good, it turns out there was something on his end that he did with my token. Problem solved and dark mode/roll 20 was not to blame.&nbsp;
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello all- The issue reported earlier in the thread ( here and here &nbsp;and here ) using the Ruler with Hide from Others causing problems has been solved. Thanks for the reports.

Edited 1646280125
I have found a few of bugs and issues with the new dark mode, mostly with concerns around accessibility, though there are also some general ones. First off, and the most glaring, the change in font between light and dark mode. This causes a few different issues to other features: It is generally harder to read in dark mode due to the font being smaller, even though it is against a darker background. Various elements are shifted or change in size when in dark mode (macro buttons in the macro bar become taller, the journal tag button in journal tab is narrower, all the elements underneath the search bar in the journals tab are shifted down slightly, etc.) Here is an example of the elements changing in size and position between light and dark mode. Apologies for the overlayed version being an eyestrain. Additionally, some font colors are changed when they really should not be. The die results in macros do not have their background color (yellow) changed in dark mode, but the font color IS changed to a light grey, which instantly kills readability. Turn order is also very difficult to read with the grey text against a green background. The scrollbar is changed in dark mode, which creates yet another accessibility issue. Instead of the bar that you need to click and drag, their is a small dot. You have to click on this small dot and drag it, which is far more difficult to do for those with visual or motor impairments. Additionally, the zoom percent is significantly harder to read in dark mode. Also, the scroll bar is also slightly taller in dark mode. Sometimes the macros will stay purple after switching back to light mode. It's inconstant with when it will and wont get stuck. At first I was thinking it was just a Chrome glitch because my friends where having it happen to them and it wasn't happening to me (I am on Firefox), but then while recording some of these bugs, it happened to mine. It just seems to do it whenever it feels like it. It can also apparently get stuck in the light mode colors as I discovered while trying to record some of the bugs/issues. I think this bug is at least somewhat influenced by what mode you load in on, because when i refreshed my roll20 while in dark mode, the macro was immediately stuck in dark mode pallet, and seeing this I switched to light mode and refreshed, and wouldn't you know it: immediately stuck in light mode pallet. Another issue that I discovered while working on this post: the bullet points option is changed. If you click the "tab" button, it will not shift the bullet points over, instead just adding spaces. To move bullet points over, you need to go under the paragraph tool and click on indent. The new shortcut is "CTRL ]", however the website words this as "CTRL + ]", which can confuse users into thinking that the + symbol is part of the shortcut. Also, a bit of a pet peeve, but please move the dark mode button either to the tools bar or the settings menu instead of floating off on it's own. It's current position is vary janky and jarring, especially since it goes OVER turn order (I personally like to place turn order underneath the tool bar when in player mode). Also, some of my friends are having jukebox issues, which while not necessarily related to dark mode, has started happening immediately after the update, so it could very well be related. For the sake of some of the more visual bugs and issues mentioned in this post, I made a video to more clearly show them: <a href="https://youtu.be/akAiRXhDr10" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/akAiRXhDr10</a>
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I know this has been on the Dev for a short while and I have made changes to the PF community sheet in my test bed.&nbsp; I really wish there would have been a "heads up sheet authors, we're pushing this live next week" .&nbsp; I would have made a push to get my edits finished and submitted.&nbsp; I have been waiting to see if some of the roll template issues that were brought up in Dev testing had been addressed before doing a deeper dive on the roll templates.&nbsp; At least we finally have a dark mode option.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Question that I submitted to the portal but was not answered: Will the state of darkmode be exposed to the API, even as read-only? This would be a godsend for anyone developing an API interface, since the css/html could be processed in accordance with the mode. I realize that it would be all or nothing (i.e. all players would be affected, regardless of individual dark mode state), but many API scripts whisper their output to the gm or the sender directly.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Sorry, posted this elsewhere: Missed "default not selected" tab issue in tokens when double-clicked. Steps to reproduce:&nbsp; Double-click a token on the VTT to open its edit menu (one you control as GM) Select a tab other than the first tab (GM Notes or Dynamic Lighting) Close the token (don't worry about saving or making a change) Double-click to open that or any other token on the VTT Last tab you had open is the one selected, the unselected state of the default tab is in non-Dark-mode background, resulting in this:&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pat said: Sorry, posted this elsewhere: Missed "default not selected" tab issue in tokens when double-clicked. Steps to reproduce:&nbsp; I can verify this. The tab resets to the correct color once clicked on, but is initially wrong.

Edited 1646313118
Character Sheet for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition (German) is NOT readable with darkmode as the font is gray on a black background... same goes for turn order with the light green highlighting... Also the rounded corners (that are only there if darkmode is enabled) are NOT really necessary, but that's just me. Would it be possible to have multiple themes we can choose from? Also the Toggle for Darkmode can be hidden inside the settings menu. E.g. under the "miscellaneous" group that might be empty (for players) otherwise!
Is it just me or do those darkmode symbols look as if they were bold?

Edited 1646315433
The Arrows in that box are not shown in darkmode. It seems the only purpose for that box is to drag the image to the map! (only possible as GM as recently tested!) WHY is this Box needed? Why not make the image itself draggable like it was before?

Edited 1646313780
Scroll bars stay white. Doesn't look good with dark mode.
Kenton said: Hello all- The issue reported earlier in the thread ( here and here &nbsp;and here ) using the Ruler with Hide from Others causing problems has been solved. Thanks for the reports. I really hope all bugs listed here will be fixed as fast or else I fear no one will use Dark mode.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Copy from this thread : Renascia I'm very happy with this sheet's dark mode integration. Every aspect of a player character sheet is fully visible, fully functional, and fully accessible to someone with low vision such as myself. This is a fantastic quality of life upgrade, after using extensions like Dark Reader that darkened sheets but left huge white areas and even distorted some fields. That being said, I am *not* happy with NPC sheets. The dark red text for NPC stats, and the dark grey text for ability descriptions are incredibly low contrast, and very difficult to read. With the design philosophy of Dark Mode being accessibility, could we please change these text colors to be higher contrast and visibility?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mikhail said: Scroll bars stay white. Doesn't look good with dark mode. I could be wrong, but I believe the scrollbars are generated by the system, or more accurately, the browser. I don't know if Roll20 can affect them. Does your browser or system have a dark mode?
Calistocrates
Marketplace Creator
Youtube at least manages scroll bar customization just fine.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. True.

Edited 1646327818
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Calistocrates said: Youtube at least manages scroll bar customization just fine. As does the Forgotten Realms wiki on Fandom.com: <a href="https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page" rel="nofollow">https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page</a> edit:&nbsp; Nevermind... only seems to be a brown scroll bar on Firefox, but not on Chrome.
Is there any reason the Darkmode toggle couldn't be added to the Settings menu instead of taking up map area, I can't imagine it being something that is turned on and off a lot during play, you either want dark mode or you don't (at least as far as I understand it). As with so many things it really doesn't integrate well when you use the browsers zoom option, something that is common among those of us that are partially sighted.&nbsp; As you can see from the two screen shots at 125% zoom the button is over the macro bar and the peoples names, if I go to 150% zoom it vanishes off the bottom of the screen.&nbsp; Both shots were taken using the Chrome browser. While I use Firefox a lot as it allows me to zoom the text only and have the chat box taking up less map area, it does mean the toggle ends up in the middle of the left hand menu (fortunately I don't need to alter fog of war from there so not being able to access that menu button isn't critical), I don't expect developers to try and work things around every accessibility option out there, but it would be nice if they could work things for at least the basic zoom option.
Although I don't find it obnoxious, I did put in a suggestion in the portal to have the option to hide it, and to toggle with a keyboard shortcut. Izual N. said: As I don't see this mentioned here, but have seen it voiced many times in two separate threads: Please move the Toggle function into the Settings section, and not on the main window view. It is looks obnoxious, and takes up viewable space.
I want to add to the voices that want a way to disable the dark mode button. As many people pointed out it is obnoxious and removes valuable space from the vtt. There's no reason it cant be moved into the settings tab or shouldn't have a way to disable it from there.

Edited 1646338961
On my mac mini&nbsp; the first time a sheet is opened, firefox shows the character sheet in light mode. It can be corrected by switching dark mode off and then on again. Google Chrome shows a character sheet in the right way straigth away. Also the green on black and red on black are difficult to read in roll results.

Edited 1646339020
In the Audio Tab: The X goes invisible.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1646341076
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Martijn S. said: On my mac mini&nbsp; the first time a sheet is opened, firefox shows the character sheet in light mode. It can be corrected by switching dark mode off and then on again. Google Chrome shows a character sheet in the right way straigth away. On Windows 10, I had that problem in both Firefox and Chrome.&nbsp; Screenshot from first time logging into Chrome below: Why does Dark Mode start up by default though?&nbsp; Ideally it should be an opt-in feature (which also means the button probably shouldn't be so prominent).&nbsp; As an added bonus though, defaulting to Dark Mode off might avoid showcasing this bug with Dark Mode and the official Roll20 character sheets used on the platform's most popular system. edit: Even the tooltip text reads as though it expects Dark Mode to be off by default.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Martijn S. said: On my mac mini&nbsp; the first time a sheet is opened, firefox shows the character sheet in light mode. It can be corrected by switching dark mode off and then on again. Google Chrome shows a character sheet in the right way straigth away. I can't duplicate on my Mac Mini on Firefox. Have you reloaded the game? Maybe even deleting the cache?

Edited 1646356242
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Noticed another bug on Windows 10 in both Firefox and Chrome. The macro buttons in the global macro bar displayed along the bottom of the page don't seem to update to Dark Mode being toggled until a page refresh is performed.&nbsp; However the macro buttons in the token macro bar at the top of the page seem to toggle Dark Mode on/off as expected.&nbsp; See animated gif below: (Re)load times for me seem to have increased with the arrival of Dark Mode as well, but I don't have any actual measurements to back that up.
I was gonna post a rundown of all the api scripts with bad darkmode compatability but I realized that its all of them.&nbsp; What happens to the must have scripts that no longer have an active author?&nbsp; Some are really hard to read.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Encountered this bug repeatedly. Load into the VTT, on a campaign, if dark mode is on the VTT hangs on loading. Work around I've found is to first toggle to light mode, and then reload the page. If I just reload while still in dark mode it just comes back to the same issue. I can toggle on dark mode after I'm into the VTT, and reloading the page is fine from that point forward.