Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dark Mode VTT Bug Thread

Random NPC actions have become impossible to read. Its even inconsistent with abilities of the same NPC character sheet. Some abilities are outright unable to be read.  I used to do web design back in the day. This shouldn't be a very difficult fix. These changes to your CSS should resolve the issue. .sheet-rolltemplate-darkmode.sheet-container .sheet-row *, .sheet-rolltemplate-darkmode.sheet-rolltemplate-npcfullatk .sheet-damagetemplate {     color: white; } Changed the color from black to white. Although you could put whatever stylistic hex color there you want that doesn't look bad on black. While its not a perfect fix it can at least be read. If I could permanently change it for you I would, but I can only play around with Inspect on Chrome. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The colors use CSS variables. That particular template got screwed up, but the development cycle is apparently not immediate, since this has been reported multiple times since the last update. There is far more wrong with that template than the text color. Scroll up through the posts for more.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: How can a bare bones install of chrome on two windows 10 pc's in the same room where the firefox browser is the actual workhorse browser and chrome just exists for roll20....see different color schemes in dark mode.  I literally cannot wrap my head around this guys and people look like they are glossing over this.  Thats not seperate types of rolls in my screenshot, that is 2 different PC's with their dark mode looking at the same post with AFAIK barebones same installs of the OS and chrome.  I do not understand this at all.  And if I turn on the darkmode extension thats free to use already, everything works just fine we all see the same colors.  This is just so weird.  Can they not like...cut and paste the free to download made for free by the community extension and go from there lol?  It'd be one thing if I saw red and black while they saw purple and white, but I'm the DM and I'm stuck seeing white on yellow and the devs probably see purple and white or red and black and have no way to replicate the bug I'm reporting so how broken does this project have to be...while the extension we already used is sitting there pristine and perfectly working... I can only get the yellow to appear. The inspector shows it as hard coded. It should be a css variable. I'm not sure how the purple could appear without relying on cached data. Very weird.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Minor display issue with Compendium display. See dropdown arrow area in both modes: Light Dark

Edited 1647833686
Having trouble reading text, but otherwise love the idea. This is from a general macro using the [[1d20]] format.
The clearing of the cache made everyone at my table see yellow/white inline rolls so that was the issue, but we actually all wanted the purple, not the yellow/white so whatever they do to fix this try to go back to purple or something.  The darkmode extension is way better it does a bronze/gold and white that is easier to read vs what we have now of that blinding yellow/white.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In dark mode, NPC ability scores do not display, just the modifiers: Light Dark
Brendan C. said: Having trouble reading text, but otherwise love the idea. This is from a general macro using the [[1d20]] format. My group is having this issue too. We were able to see the rolls just fine when Dark Mode came out. Now today we got on and the Yellow Highlight over White text makes it near impossible to see what the number is. I had to abandon Dark Mode myself because of this.
Gold
Forum Champion
Let's see what this week holds in Add the issues with /em, /me, and [[Inline Rolls]], to the Known Issues list for Dark Mode. These are standard system-agnostic default Roll20 chat styles, useable in all games. This is not dependant on Character Sheet authors. 

Edited 1647914710
saw a couple of other people mention the GIF/image inversion problem, but seeing as it's not in the OP, I'm going to post my examples here and hope the issue gets more attention Weirdly enough, it seems picky as to which GIFs/images it chooses to invert.  Example: My guess is that there is something implemented as part of Dark Mode that checks images and inverts their colors if they have too much dark colors/are in black and white.  The first two gifs are sources from Dark Souls 3, a game with a grim and drab color palette.  The dark pyromancy being cast as part of the animation also makes it worse, since the effect is all black and white.  Screenshot below shows what it looks like on the frame the flame is at its peak.  The last one is from Berserk (1997) and it's full of red, not even an algorithm could mistake that for an overly dark/black and white Browsers used are Vivaldi and Firefox with all extensions disabled (I will test on a fresh install of Firefox later to be sure it's not something on my end).  I noticed a weird thing on Firefox when I launched it; I had not been logged in for a while, especially not since Dark Mode was introduced, and when I launched the game it started in Dark Mode.  This time, the images were NOT reversed, but immediately reversed again upon switching to Light Mode and then back into Dark Mode.  Refreshing did not fix, but deleting my cookies did (until the switch was flipped again) Edit: small clarification, but the screenshots were taken in Vivaldi, though I of course did still do testing in Firefox to double check the results another edit: It also doesn't seems like it matters where I host my image either, whether I hotlink it from giphy, imgur, tenor, discord, etc.

Edited 1647934483
Sheet used: Dungeon Crawl Classics Tabbed. Problem: Neither "Bio & Info" nor any of the other Tabs changes in color when dark mode is enabled! Toggling Dark Mode on and off has NO effect on the Sheet! EDIT: If "Character Popout Windows" is NOT set, Dark Mode is applied to the sheet! But IF it is set (separate Windows for Character Sheets / Handouts), dark mode is not applied!
re: the gif/image issues, also experiencing some significant desaturation on some GIFs.   (light on left, dark on right, a little hard to tell in this image) Color picking the brightest yellow in each image shows an HSV of 58/72/100 for the light, 58/64/90 for the dark.  the difference in saturation is much more noticeable in the dark sections too, nearly half the saturation value.  very minor bug
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I haven't done any testing, but it sounds like the gif problems might be related to GIFs using a color lookup table instead of regular per-pixel RGB values. I have a feeling that once the css invert filter method is removed, images will just display normally again.
Misato Milk said: saw a couple of other people mention the GIF/image inversion problem, but seeing as it's not in the OP, I'm going to post my examples here and hope the issue gets more attention Weirdly enough, it seems picky as to which GIFs/images it chooses to invert.&nbsp; Example: My guess is that there is something implemented as part of Dark Mode that checks images and inverts their colors if they have too much dark colors/are in black and white.&nbsp; The first two gifs are sources from Dark Souls 3, a game with a grim and drab color palette.&nbsp; The dark pyromancy being cast as part of the animation also makes it worse, since the effect is all black and white.&nbsp; Screenshot below shows what it looks like on the frame the flame is at its peak.&nbsp; The last one is from Berserk (1997) and it's full of red, not even an algorithm could mistake that for an overly dark/black and white Browsers used are Vivaldi and Firefox with all extensions disabled (I will test on a fresh install of Firefox later to be sure it's not something on my end).&nbsp; I noticed a weird thing on Firefox when I launched it; I had not been logged in for a while, especially not since Dark Mode was introduced, and when I launched the game it started in Dark Mode.&nbsp; This time, the images were NOT reversed, but immediately reversed again upon switching to Light Mode and then back into Dark Mode.&nbsp; Refreshing did not fix, but deleting my cookies did (until the switch was flipped again) Edit: small clarification, but the screenshots were taken in Vivaldi, though I of course did still do testing in Firefox to double check the results another edit: It also doesn't seems like it matters where I host my image either, whether I hotlink it from giphy, imgur, tenor, discord, etc. It happens with chrome also using&nbsp; [Image](<a href="http://bla.bla.bla.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://bla.bla.bla.jpg</a>) &nbsp;to insert the image
Are the sheets managed by roll20 getting any updates for dark mode? It's pretty much impossible to read the outcome of a result on the Vampire the Masquerade V5 sheet. Normally i'd just fix this myself, but we don't have access to the source code yet.
I am still having trouble with. This makes it nearly impossible to DM with token Macro's. I have only been able to solve the problem by rolling, switching Dark Mode off and then back on again. After that I am able to see the previous rolls, but when I roll again. it is back to unreadable.&nbsp; Default Roll Template text vs Background color contrast

Edited 1648138735
It's been like this for almost a week. Hope it gets fixed until the weekend.

Edited 1648219924
LIGHT VS DARK Mode This is the Macro bar I use for some of my campaigns for my macros. Just compare those two images above. First is Light mode, second is dark mode! Font Switched, Buttons are larger AND Buttons are stuck in Light mode! (before refreshing the page they were stuck in dark mode!!!)
In General: Why are all buttons displayed larger and why are all corners rounded in Dark Mode? Isn't it enough to simply invert the colors?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Any chance we could get an update on this, Dev team? It's been a week since the last patch, which actually broke as many things as it fixed, and none of these issues are on the top post: VTT Issues Tooltip text is unreadable Roll and table results are unreadable white-on yellow Emotes are nearly impossible to read in dark brown on black unwanted text in compendium dropdown arrow area D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet issues In dark mode, NPC ability scores do not display, just the modifiers images invert on some of the roll templates Text appears black in some fields (text in un-styled fields, such as the description field in the attack template) Color inversion filter on some templates actually inverts the familiar red and green for crits and fumbles In addition to the specific problems listed above, there are many, many instances where spacing and fonts change, both in the sheet above, and the VTT. I'm not listing those simply because they are so numerous, and there may be accessibility issues involved.
keithcurtis said: Any chance we could get an update on this, Dev team? It's been a week since the last patch, which actually broke as many things as it fixed, and none of these issues are on the top post: VTT Issues Tooltip text is unreadable Roll and table results are unreadable white-on yellow Emotes are nearly impossible to read in dark brown on black unwanted text in compendium dropdown arrow area D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet issues In dark mode, NPC ability scores do not display, just the modifiers images invert on some of the roll templates Text appears black in some fields (text in un-styled fields, such as the description field in the attack template) Color inversion filter on some templates actually inverts the familiar red and green for crits and fumbles In addition to the specific problems listed above, there are many, many instances where spacing and fonts change, both in the sheet above, and the VTT. I'm not listing those simply because they are so numerous, and there may be accessibility issues involved. I'm not sure if you got this one but when you go to edit npc sheets and some character sheet fields the text is black on black.&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: I'm not sure if you got this one but when you go to edit npc sheets and some character sheet fields the text is black on black.&nbsp;&nbsp; This is a field on a specific sheet, not the bio/notes tab? If so, the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet?
keithcurtis said: DM Eddie said: I'm not sure if you got this one but when you go to edit npc sheets and some character sheet fields the text is black on black.&nbsp;&nbsp; This is a field on a specific sheet, not the bio/notes tab? If so, the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? Nevermind apparently its been fixed.&nbsp; Sorry been using the third party extension for dark mode to get around the inability to see inline rolls and didn't realize they had adjusted the edit fields of npc sheets from black on black to white on black.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I had this come up today:&nbsp;&nbsp; Note that you can't read the damage. It's black text on black bg.&nbsp;&nbsp; I suspect it's related to that the damage roll was a 3d8 and the result had both an 8 and a 1 in it.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Several elements in tables (especially headers) within handouts are not discernable in dark mode.

Edited 1648474158
Why are all skills and attributes aligned center in dark mode when in light mode they are aligned left? and with those rounded corners, text is cut off and as such harder to read! (Again: Why not just invert colors and leave everything else as is?) Sticking to light mode as long as these basic problems have not been addressed!
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Still got this issue. Wasn't this supposed to be fixed?
Gold
Forum Champion
Has anyone seen an explanation of WHY they put rounded corners on Dark Mode? Just, like, whoever Designed the rounded-corners style in Roll20 Dev Team, tell us why you chose that? Is there any reason for it? Drespar? Kenton? Any ideas? TheMarkus1204 said: and with those rounded corners, text is cut off and as such harder to read! (Again: Why not just invert colors and leave everything else as is?)

Edited 1648526815
The hit dice section does not have the correct background for dark mode, not sure about the text.

Edited 1648579475
Hey guys! First time commenting. Whenever I toggle the dark mode on, it breaks all of the images in my player's text chat. Imagine all of the spell template sheets are replaced with a default broken image symbol whenever a spell is cast in-game. I would love to see a fix to this asap, and yes, it works absolutely fine without dark mode activated.
Garrett said: Hey guys! First time commenting. Whenever I toggle the dark mode on, it breaks all of the images in my player's text chat. Imagine all of the spell template sheets are replaced with a default broken image symbol whenever a spell is cast in-game. I would love to see a fix to this asap, and yes, it works absolutely fine without dark mode activated. This is happening to me also in all games I am in.
Having the same issue as Kickedbackgaming and Huaya ... inline rolls from my macros have horrible colouring.&nbsp; If darkmode had changed the background color of those inlines to the pinkish colour you're using everywhere else (like on the send button in the picture below), that would be fine.
WindyJ said: Having the same issue as Kickedbackgaming and Huaya ... inline rolls from my macros have horrible colouring.&nbsp; If darkmode had changed the background color of those inlines to the pinkish colour you're using everywhere else (like on the send button in the picture below), that would be fine. You should use recursive tables for that and put it all in a clean template but yeah, the white on yellow really needs to get fixed asap.&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's been about ten days since the patch that introduced this (and other) issues. I'd love to see these resolved. Dark Mode has become more appealing to me than I thought it would.
Tbh the latest Patches were introduced March 4th... since then: NOTHING! An official Update would be nice! (And a statement as to why there are round corners everywhere in dark mode and not only in the "new design" for the 5e sheet)

Edited 1648634485
Character names are hard to read and WHY is there WHITE BACKGROUND for black font in DARK MODE??? Why should I use Dark mode if there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE except the chat background? EDIT: After refreshing the page and toggling dark mode off and back on it changes...

Edited 1648637676
And if you hover over the skills or attributes in the 5e sheet only the attribute is colored red NOT the skill itself nor the attribute if you hover over it... In light mode the whole thing changes color while hovering above it... Maybe you could fix this as well? (and PLEASE remove those rounded corners from the sheet!) a) it does NOT look good! b) Skill names are cut off! c) Please RESTORE the OLD font (that is used for light mode)! (and please do that GLOBALLY for EVERYTHING on VTT)!

Edited 1648648838
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: Tbh the latest Patches were introduced March 4th... since then: NOTHING! An official Update would be nice! (And a statement as to why there are round corners everywhere in dark mode and not only in the "new design" for the 5e sheet) Oh, they had the rolls /r and inline on March 4th, but the white on yellow carried through on cache.&nbsp; I can verify that for sure, due to working on roll templates on one of my sheets and seeing different things on different browsers and discovering the cache issue then.&nbsp; The purple background for dark mode rolls (both /r and inline) was live and working then.&nbsp; They updated some dark mode stuff on the 18th (a Friday!), and somehow they broke the inline rolls while retaining dark mode for /r.&nbsp; So, they have updated since the 4th, and broke something.&nbsp; A lot of other problems are probably on their sheet devs to make right, and I would expect that to be a different person/team than whoever is working on the vtt ui.&nbsp; Friday updates... they never seem to go that well.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, it's not the round corners that are cutting off a couple of skill names, it's the font choice. If I turn off the corner radius in the console and remove padding, the names continue to truncate.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: Character names are hard to read and WHY is there WHITE BACKGROUND for black font in DARK MODE??? Why should I use Dark mode if there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE except the chat background? EDIT: After refreshing the page and toggling dark mode off and back on it changes... I can't reproduce this black-on-white look in dark mode for those roll templates. Is this the standard&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? No Stylus mods or anything?
Wow! Looks like a contrast fix came through this morning! Thanks, devs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: VTT Issues Tooltip text is unreadable Roll and table results are unreadable white-on yellow Emotes are nearly impossible to read in dark brown on black unwanted text in compendium dropdown arrow area D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet issues In dark mode, NPC ability scores do not display, just the modifiers images invert on some of the roll templates Text appears black in some fields (text in un-styled fields, such as the description field in the attack template) Color inversion filter on some templates actually inverts the familiar red and green for crits and fumbles Great job folks. I think there was only one item listed here that was not corrected, and it's firmly in the "minor annoyance" category. The rest of this is looking great! Imma switch!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In dark mode, the roll button in attributes and abilities tab is not using the dicefontd20 font. I.e. it is displaying as a lower case "t":

Edited 1648672766
Rolls aren't cyan on black anymore with dark mode (finally). But now look like this for me for some reason. EDIT : Same problem for my player too, but slightly different for some reason.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Sarah R. Cohen said: Wow! Looks like a contrast fix came through this morning! Thanks, devs. That is odd.&nbsp; Even after clearing cache, I am still seeing the white/gray on yellow rolls.&nbsp; This screenshot is from Chrome, which isn't my main browser, so I haven't installed any extensions:&nbsp; Is everyone else seeing the correct dark mode rolls?
Kraynic said: Sarah R. Cohen said: Wow! Looks like a contrast fix came through this morning! Thanks, devs. That is odd.&nbsp; Even after clearing cache, I am still seeing the white/gray on yellow rolls.&nbsp; This screenshot is from Chrome, which isn't my main browser, so I haven't installed any extensions:&nbsp; Is everyone else seeing the correct dark mode rolls? I see those correctly, but for me attack rolls are messed up (as shown above in my post).

Edited 1648679307
Ah, I spoke too soon. I have the same attack roll issue as Mikhail. NPC attacks have an issue: By contrast, Player Character attacks are showing up well:

Edited 1648704114
Sarah R. Cohen said: Ah, I spoke too soon. I have the same attack roll issue as Mikhail. NPC attacks have an issue: By contrast, Player Character attacks are showing up well: To the Dev who is sitting there asking themselves how the heck there is a white npc attack template:&nbsp; That is npcfullatk.&nbsp; The one you modded was probably npcatk and dmg.&nbsp; You have a toggle on npc sheets that auto rolls damage.&nbsp; When that is set to yes, then the sheet spits out "npcfullatk" which is the white one you forgot.&nbsp;&nbsp; This is with auto roll off: Also to the folks with white on yellow inline rolls, refresh your cache, its white on purple again, much better.&nbsp;&nbsp;