Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dark Mode VTT Bug Thread

Has anyone else noticed the Draw Tool font/color etc menu (secondary toolbar) is not showing when in dark mode.  Took me a good 10 minutes to figure out that was the issue.  Turned off dark mode and it was hiding in the top like normal.  Picture below with dev tools to show it is there.  I have selected some text on the screen to get the secondary toolbar to display.
Does look like it's related to another issue here - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10969592/character-macros-not-showing-up-but-they-are-there-and-they-work" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10969592/character-macros-not-showing-up-but-they-are-there-and-they-work</a>
keithcurtis said: keithcurtis said: Woot! It looks like this has not yet been announced (probably waiting for the Friday thread), but many of the final dark mode issues have been addressed. The attack template for NPCs, multiple hit die type interface, rest buttons, and most (but not all) of the gear icons are now displaying properly. These were the big stumbling blocks (particularly the roll template) for me adopting Dark Mode. Thanks devs. I have a feeling this was an 80/20 problem, having seen some of the code the sheet uses (80% easy, 20% difficult). Looking good! All of these seem to have been rolled back. Do you have a clue as to why those were rolled back?
as long as those bugs exist, I'll stay with lightmode as it is unusable in its current state... it is just sad they don't get this to work as intended! (Issues: Font / Font-size change / Size change for certain elements (see devtools screenshot above with the select tool button slightly larger than the toolbar); Color stays after switching from light to dark mode gray, otherwise purple for Macro bar buttons and token macros...) Why all this? just invert colors and that's it... why is it that hard to do?

Edited 1657824897
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: keithcurtis said: keithcurtis said: Woot! It looks like this has not yet been announced (probably waiting for the Friday thread), but many of the final dark mode issues have been addressed. The attack template for NPCs, multiple hit die type interface, rest buttons, and most (but not all) of the gear icons are now displaying properly. These were the big stumbling blocks (particularly the roll template) for me adopting Dark Mode. Thanks devs. I have a feeling this was an 80/20 problem, having seen some of the code the sheet uses (80% easy, 20% difficult). Looking good! All of these seem to have been rolled back. Do you have a clue as to why those were rolled back? That post is two weeks old. The rollback was an accident that was fixed that same day. Personally speaking, I am satisfied with dark mode and use it frequently, at least as far as the sheet I use is concerned.
Has anyone else noted that in the recent week(s?) when in light mode and attempting to insert a hyperlink in the text editor, the default text is now white, making it impossible to see what was in the box before you replace it with the hyperlink?&nbsp; You can faintly see the intended text (Note: I did not delete anything). I have made no graphics or browser changes on my end since this started recently. Also, PLEASE, as many have asked, take away the pop-up light/dark mode bubble next to the toggle switch. It was great when you first implemented it, but should now be part of the 'L2Play' process and not something we have to click-close every time we log in if our cache is cleared.&nbsp; Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This first issue is probably due to last week's update of the site CSS (in preparation for site-wide dark mode). You can report it here , for more directed dev visibility.
As mentioned in this thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11007921/odd-color-choice-for-everything-now/?pageforid=11024087#post-11024087" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11007921/odd-color-choice-for-everything-now/?pageforid=11024087#post-11024087</a> I am removing the sticky flag on this thread to tidy up our stickied thread count.
The latest update to the site appears to have trashed the Star Wars D5 WEG character sheet unless you use dark mode. Has anyone else experienced this? This is what the sheet is supposed to look like and what it looks like in dark mode:&nbsp; This is what it looks like with dark mode turned off. Obviously this renders the sheet unusable. The simple solution of course is to use dark mode. However, I hate dark mode. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Since this is a community sheet, I'd write the creator of the sheet a DM. Bryan said: The latest update to the site appears to have trashed the Star Wars D5 WEG character sheet unless you use dark mode. Has anyone else experienced this? This is what the sheet is supposed to look like and what it looks like in dark mode:&nbsp; This is what it looks like with dark mode turned off. Obviously this renders the sheet unusable. The simple solution of course is to use dark mode. However, I hate dark mode. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Bryan! It looks like a fix is in for this . The new sheet should become active with the next code pull from GitHub. I think sheets are merged more often that Mod scripts, so with any luck, it shouldn't be too long.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Minor issue with dark mode in My Audio. The highlighted source for the Add To dropdown is unreadable:

Edited 1660300403
Highlighting is Stuck on "Add to game"... even if you hover over other playlists-names... The dropdown seems to be fixed for light mode regarding font and color, but even there it is stuck on light mode and no highlighting of other Playlists whatsoever! keithcurtis said: Minor issue with dark mode in My Audio. The highlighted source for the Add To dropdown is unreadable:
Starfinder sheets still broken for my players most of the time in Dark mode, how long do we have to wait on this? Tom :(
Cthulhu (German) Community Sheet output Macro... Font color is NOT CHANGING!!! Black font on purple background... WOW... just WOW... Also same as for all other Sheets: Font is too small!!! Soon you need a f***ing LENSE if you want to read the text!!!
Zym
Sheet Author
This was not happening last time I was using the attacks and macros for chat output. Perhaps a week ago. Now all text is white and hidden on the white background What has happened?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Zym! Which character sheet are you using? That doesn't look like the output of the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet.

Edited 1661013216
Zym
Sheet Author
Thank you Keith Curtis, I am using 5e Darker Dungeons character sheet. I am pretty sure I was not having this issue last session using exactly the same sheet. This was last Saturday.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A lot of the community sheets don't mesh well with Dark Mode unless they have been specifically updated. It's possible a recent change broke something it was depending on. It should still work under Light Mode. Darker Dungeons has not been touched in 2 years, long before even the first generation of Dark Mode. It might be helpful to contact the author, Giffyglyph .
Zym
Sheet Author
Thanks Keith. Yes its likely an update on dark mode within the last week caused the sheet to stop functioning correctly in dark mode.

Edited 1661124564
Yea, I am having similar issues with the Pathfinder sheet.&nbsp; All of our players have switched back to light mode for this session because it was just impossible to read the values. Added light mode on the right for reference.&nbsp; I have no idea where the purple boxes are coming from.
David C. said: Yea, I am having similar issues with the Pathfinder sheet.&nbsp; All of our players have switched back to light mode for this session because it was just impossible to read the values. Added light mode on the right for reference.&nbsp; I have no idea where the purple boxes are coming from. The d20 Modern and starfinder sheets have the same problem.

Edited 1661763261
I can NOT believe THIS is STILL NOT FIXED: Campaign startet in dark mode and the highlighted message ("From HealthColors") ist NOT readable AT ALL! To fix this a REFRESH OR a switch back to light mode is necessary... ALSO: Those Buttons STILL don't switch accordingly! I mean... come on... for how long does this Bug exist? Since the introduction of dark mode if I remember correctly... WILL THIS BE FIXED anytime soon?
When is Dark Mode going to be fixed? Is there an ETA yet from the Devs? I just had Roll20 give me a survey on Dark Mode, and I gave it two thumbs down because neither I nor any of my players can use it when we use the Roll20 VTT. The images below show that we cannot read the attack rolls, skill rolls, saving throws, etc. in Dark Mode. It has been months now, and this feature is still broken, and is one that our group cannot utilize.&nbsp;
TheMarkus1204 said: I can NOT believe THIS is STILL NOT FIXED: Campaign startet in dark mode and the highlighted message ("From HealthColors") ist NOT readable AT ALL! To fix this a REFRESH OR a switch back to light mode is necessary... ALSO: Those Buttons STILL don't switch accordingly! I mean... come on... for how long does this Bug exist? Since the introduction of dark mode if I remember correctly... WILL THIS BE FIXED anytime soon? API Colors have been working for a while I think, see below. Shift + F5 recently?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Irondrake said: When is Dark Mode going to be fixed? Is there an ETA yet from the Devs? I just had Roll20 give me a survey on Dark Mode, and I gave it two thumbs down because neither I nor any of my players can use it when we use the Roll20 VTT. The images below show that we cannot read the attack rolls, skill rolls, saving throws, etc. in Dark Mode. ... It has been months now, and this feature is still broken, and is one that our group cannot utilize.&nbsp; Hi Irondrake! What is generating those roll templates? A specific sheet or a Mod script? If it's an official character sheet, that needs to be fixed by the dev team. (a&nbsp; Help Center Request &nbsp;or in this thread, but the sheet needs to be identified) If it's a community sheet, it needs to be addressed by the sheet developer. (You can usually get the author from the wiki or the github repository.) If it's a mod script, they have no ability to react to the dark mode state, but they can be made "dark mode proof", i.e. always display the same regardless of dark mode toggle. That would be up to the scripter.

Edited 1661863960
IF I refresh the page OR switch from dark to lightmode and back it is fixed! BUT the refresh should NOT be necessary! You should be able to read everything from the start! And thus this feature is STILL BROKEN as the CSS template gets not properly applied! (The scripts / mods work as intended!) Highlighting and Text is not readable when joining a campaign with dark mode enabled! That is why I am NOT using Dark Mode in VTT! Jared said: TheMarkus1204 said: I can NOT believe THIS is STILL NOT FIXED: Campaign startet in dark mode and the highlighted message ("From HealthColors") ist NOT readable AT ALL! To fix this a REFRESH OR a switch back to light mode is necessary... ALSO: Those Buttons STILL don't switch accordingly! I mean... come on... for how long does this Bug exist? Since the introduction of dark mode if I remember correctly... WILL THIS BE FIXED anytime soon? API Colors have been working for a while I think, see below. Shift + F5 recently?
keithcurtis said: Irondrake said: When is Dark Mode going to be fixed? Is there an ETA yet from the Devs? I just had Roll20 give me a survey on Dark Mode, and I gave it two thumbs down because neither I nor any of my players can use it when we use the Roll20 VTT. The images below show that we cannot read the attack rolls, skill rolls, saving throws, etc. in Dark Mode. ... It has been months now, and this feature is still broken, and is one that our group cannot utilize.&nbsp; Hi Irondrake! What is generating those roll templates? A specific sheet or a Mod script? If it's an official character sheet, that needs to be fixed by the dev team. (a&nbsp; Help Center Request &nbsp;or in this thread, but the sheet needs to be identified) If it's a community sheet, it needs to be addressed by the sheet developer. (You can usually get the author from the wiki or the github repository.) If it's a mod script, they have no ability to react to the dark mode state, but they can be made "dark mode proof", i.e. always display the same regardless of dark mode toggle. That would be up to the scripter. Hi Keith, The rolls are all generated from the BECMI D&amp;D character sheet, which community members Allen Maher, Aqua Alex, BiscuitCookie&nbsp;created some years ago. I had previously tried to reach out to the creators to see about adding something to the character sheet, but I was told the main designer has left for another VTT and has not been back, and the person who did contact me (BiscuitCookie, I believe) said he just helped on a few design areas of the sheet, and was unable to create any additions to it. If this is truly something the Roll20 Devs will never fix, what are my options if the sheet designer is no longer a member of the community?&nbsp; I guess I am just unclear why the Roll20 team wouldn't handle this issue. They created Dark Mode for their VTT. Shouldn't they make sure it works for all character sheets and lettering? Why wouldn't they want to keep the customer happy, because this is just another reason for me and my group to head over to another VTT (there are many to choose from these days). Sorry to vent, but I am just frustrated with the constant struggle to use this VTT.

Edited 1661870985
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I understand the frustration. Here's some background to give some context (caveat, I am not a sheet designer, so this is general understanding--I'm sure a sheet designer can explain better). Character sheets are essentially fancy templates to interact with the underlying system of attributes and abilities (that third tab on the sheet). That third tab was actually how Roll20 worked before character sheets were developed. There are some cool things you can only do with a sheet (repeating fields, auto generated actions and data), but they are essentially an overlay. In order to accommodate the vast number of systems out there, Roll20 did two things: 1) They made the sheet creation system available to users. 2) They gave immense design freedom to those users. It's not a kit where you can pull off-the-shelf standard hunks of code. You can design most things that you could design on a given web page, given some security and technical limitations.&nbsp;Sheets are more like mini websites that exist in Roll20. They've got their own styling and their own syntax for that styling. Because of choice 1, we have hundreds of community-designed sheets covering most popular systems. There is no way that a company could do this on their own. It's not profitable.&nbsp; Because of choice 2, there is no way that Roll20 can accommodate all of those design choices, or support them. An analogy would be "My browser has a dark theme, why don't all the websites I visit also go dark?" There's no way they could edit that many sheets, and even if it were possible, there would be outrage from many sheet designers if they tried. Now, as to what can be done. If the original authors of the BECMI sheet cannot be called upon to make these changes, some other community member must do so. I have no idea what the code looks like under the hood (there are as many ways to accomplish something with code as there are coders), it may be simple, it may be excruciating. Your best bet, if reaching out to the designers is a dead end, is to reach out to the community. There is a sheet request thread, where you can present your case and ask for a kindly and talented person to investigate and fix. Or you can start a brand new thread in the sheet forum with your request succinctly stated in the topic, and then explained in detail in the post.
Stranger in the Knight said: Has anyone else noted that in the recent week(s?) when in light mode and attempting to insert a hyperlink in the text editor, the default text is now white, making it impossible to see what was in the box before you replace it with the hyperlink?&nbsp; You can faintly see the intended text (Note: I did not delete anything). I have made no graphics or browser changes on my end since this started recently. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this issue. I thought for the past couple of weeks that this was broken. Though I'm glad it technically still works, it is very annoying to use.
keithcurtis said: I understand the frustration. Here's some background to give some context (caveat, I am not a sheet designer, so this is general understanding--I'm sure a sheet designer can explain better). Character sheets are essentially fancy templates to interact with the underlying system of attributes and abilities (that third tab on the sheet). That third tab was actually how Roll20 worked before character sheets were developed. There are some cool things you can only do with a sheet (repeating fields, auto generated actions and data), but they are essentially an overlay. In order to accommodate the vast number of systems out there, Roll20 did two things: 1) They made the sheet creation system available to users. 2) They gave immense design freedom to those users. It's not a kit where you can pull off-the-shelf standard hunks of code. You can design most things that you could design on a given web page, given some security and technical limitations.&nbsp;Sheets are more like mini websites that exist in Roll20. They've got their own styling and their own syntax for that styling. Because of choice 1, we have hundreds of community-designed sheets covering most popular systems. There is no way that a company could do this on their own. It's not profitable.&nbsp; Because of choice 2, there is no way that Roll20 can accommodate all of those design choices, or support them. An analogy would be "My browser has a dark theme, why don't all the websites I visit also go dark?" There's no way they could edit that many sheets, and even if it were possible, there would be outrage from many sheet designers if they tried. Now, as to what can be done. If the original authors of the BECMI sheet cannot be called upon to make these changes, some other community member must do so. I have no idea what the code looks like under the hood (there are as many ways to accomplish something with code as there are coders), it may be simple, it may be excruciating. Your best bet, if reaching out to the designers is a dead end, is to reach out to the community. There is a sheet request thread, where you can present your case and ask for a kindly and talented person to investigate and fix. Or you can start a brand new thread in the sheet forum with your request succinctly stated in the topic, and then explained in detail in the post. Hi Keith, Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the ins and outs behind the character sheet creation. That helped raise my understanding of the process behind it all, and how they work within Roll20. I appreciate it, bud. I also appreciate your suggestions on how to go about seeking a solution. I have to say, this community is lucky to have you around to help out and add insight on certain issues, as otherwise some of us, like myself, would have ended up leaving Roll20 in frustration a long time ago. As luck would have it, a very kind person from the character sheet designer community saw my post and reached out to me to see if he could help by having a look at the BECMI character sheet to see if anything could be done to make it work better in Dark Mode. I'm hopeful he'll have success, but nonetheless, appreciate his generosity to a complete group of strangers who just love playing old school D&amp;D.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
:) Thanks. Good luck on the sheet!
Hi folks, There are still a few issues with Dark Mode. For example, the gear that you have to click to edit parts of an NPC sheet (in a 5E game) disappears in dark mode. That is to say that you can see it sometimes but it sort of disappears as you move the mouse and try to click it. Some other icons also seem to come and go when dark mode is on but that is the only one that I remember because it was an issue for me recently. Thank you.

Edited 1666003274
Hey there, directly after joining a campaign (in Darkmode): Little to no contrast! To fix it switch to Lightmode and then back to Darkmode. Will there be an ETA to this Problem? It is REALLY annoying...
Hey tried bringing this up in a few threads fingers crossed this is the last stop. Can we get the VTM V5 by Roll20 CSS updated. We have white text on a cream background and it's killing me and my players. Would love to actually use dark mode but it's just not practical at the moment.&nbsp;

Edited 1671187558
I mentioned this often earlier, but still there: why does a feature like Dark Mode change the font and not only the colors? A perfectly nice, non-serif font turns into an ungly, unreadable serif font: This is the most important reason for not using Dark Mode for me. And by the way: if you have character sheet open and switch between Dark and Brigt Mode, the sheet doesn't update. You have to close and open it again.
AAW Games
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I am still experiencing this as well. Both in light mode, and in dark mode Theurivo said: Stranger in the Knight said: Has anyone else noted that in the recent week(s?) when in light mode and attempting to insert a hyperlink in the text editor, the default text is now white, making it impossible to see what was in the box before you replace it with the hyperlink?&nbsp; You can faintly see the intended text (Note: I did not delete anything). I have made no graphics or browser changes on my end since this started recently. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this issue. I thought for the past couple of weeks that this was broken. Though I'm glad it technically still works, it is very annoying to use.
Ditto. I recently re-submitted a bug report about this and received:&nbsp;"...&nbsp; we are unable to provide an ETA for when this will be addressed." I will continue to periodically squeak this wheel. AAW Games said: I am still experiencing this as well. Both in light mode, and in dark mode Theurivo said: Stranger in the Knight said: Has anyone else noted that in the recent week(s?) when in light mode and attempting to insert a hyperlink in the text editor, the default text is now white, making it impossible to see what was in the box before you replace it with the hyperlink?&nbsp; You can faintly see the intended text (Note: I did not delete anything). I have made no graphics or browser changes on my end since this started recently. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this issue. I thought for the past couple of weeks that this was broken. Though I'm glad it technically still works, it is very annoying to use.
This is another issue about which I recently sent a bug report and have gotten: "Thank you for sending this our way! We have gone ahead and submitted a bug ticket internally to be prioritized. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide an ETA for when this will be addressed." This is another wheel that I will periodically squeak. Bernd S. said: I mentioned this often earlier, but still there: why does a feature like Dark Mode change the font and not only the colors? A perfectly nice, non-serif font turns into an ungly, unreadable serif font: This is the most important reason for not using Dark Mode for me. And by the way: if you have character sheet open and switch between Dark and Brigt Mode, the sheet doesn't update. You have to close and open it again.
Not sure why I am having this issue or what the solution might be. &nbsp;&nbsp; This is what I get for the text area on the VTT in dark mode. &nbsp; This was my attempt to highlight the text to make it more readable. This is what it looks like without Dark mode.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Daniels! Some questions/things to check: Are you using a browser other than Chrome/Firefox? Are you using an extension such as Stylus which changes display styling? Are you using any other browser feature which provides custom styling? Is this on desktop or mobile? Have you tried refreshing the browser between toggling dark mode on or off? Sometimes certain stylings "stick" until refresh happens.
Responsible for this is 1 single CSS line! Why they should not have fixed it by now is beyond me! AAW Games said: I am still experiencing this as well. Both in light mode, and in dark mode Theurivo said: Stranger in the Knight said: Has anyone else noted that in the recent week(s?) when in light mode and attempting to insert a hyperlink in the text editor, the default text is now white, making it impossible to see what was in the box before you replace it with the hyperlink?&nbsp; You can faintly see the intended text (Note: I did not delete anything). I have made no graphics or browser changes on my end since this started recently. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this issue. I thought for the past couple of weeks that this was broken. Though I'm glad it technically still works, it is very annoying to use.