Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Advertisement Create a free account

Custom Compendium

Score + 997
Kenton said: Hello all. I was able to talk a bit about this in the Community Roundtable last night ( will be available on YouTube here soon ), but wanted to fill you all in here, as well. A "Custom Compendium" is not just one feature, but a bunch of features working together. Some of those are built into the Character Sheet and the Compendium Tab (that's how Drag & Drop works for sheets). Some of the work that's needed has been underway with things like the enhancements on Character Sheet rendering  and the way we serve our character sheets. That work creates the "less crunchy" bits that make the Compendium Tab and Pages work. Dragging & Dropping, integrating homebrewed content into a Charactermancer, and the like are dependant on the work mentioned above, but also requires the data added in a very specific way. We need to make adding that data more tolerant. We need to open the Compendium software able to provide the data to multiple games and other areas. The good news is that a team is spinning up focused specifically on this area of the software. I don't have any timeframes to commit to, however I'm glad to share the progress we have made. Great, any news since then? Can you get it to work for 5e? Id love to get in on a Beta Test or just the Publisher's Software.
I don´t know why you guys even bother.  Roll20 is clearly not interested in rolling out this feature, likely due to all the legal problems they would start having with their major content creators. And since selling their stuff is a major source of income for roll20, it is a simple calculation: A few users more creating custom content (and getting higher tier subscriptions) is not worth losing the money from content sales. This feature will with a high likelihood simply never exist. 

Edited 1635283451
+1000 I mean you're not wrong. However that type of thinking is short sighted. Homebrew is where other vtts are killing roll20. I don't like ddb but at least over there you can add on homebrew stuff that includes UA items and have it work for your campaign. Not fight for everything. A custom compendium would be useful for people that run strictly homebrew inclusive campaigns. Maybe even partner with joints that encourage creator content. Accessibility=increased revenue. 
I don't see where there would be legal issues with a homebrew compendium provided the content is gated to that user or game. Given the price of most content on the marketplace today it would be more efficient (for me) to purchase material from creators vs trying to code it all in (myself) so I'm not sure I agree with the notion that the creators selling on roll20 marketplace would suffer. If the concern is people making homebrew content available on the marketplace then yes, I agree, there could be copyright issues and there would need to be very careful monitoring of the content being made available there. As King K noted above, D&D Beyond lets me set up my own homebrew content if I want to do the work. They also don't support 3rd party material which means if I wanted to use DDB for a Midgard campaign I have to suffer through a ton of work which I'm not willing to do. I'm much happier to purchase it on roll20 and that's where I'll run those games. If having access to homebrew compendium means I pay some small additional fee, I would strongly consider it. I will also continue to purchase packages from creators like Kobold Press so I don't have to do the work myself.
Kenton said: Hello all. I was able to talk a bit about this in the Community Roundtable last night ( will be available on YouTube here soon ), but wanted to fill you all in here, as well. A "Custom Compendium" is not just one feature, but a bunch of features working together. Some of those are built into the Character Sheet and the Compendium Tab (that's how Drag & Drop works for sheets). Some of the work that's needed has been underway with things like the enhancements on Character Sheet rendering  and the way we serve our character sheets. That work creates the "less crunchy" bits that make the Compendium Tab and Pages work. Dragging & Dropping, integrating homebrewed content into a Charactermancer, and the like are dependant on the work mentioned above, but also requires the data added in a very specific way. We need to make adding that data more tolerant. We need to open the Compendium software able to provide the data to multiple games and other areas. The good news is that a team is spinning up focused specifically on this area of the software. I don't have any timeframes to commit to, however I'm glad to share the progress we have made. This was 8 months ago, and nothing has been said since then. If you really want people to believe that progress is being made, at this point, regular updates are a requirement.
Just adding my +1's worth here. I really do hope we can get customisable compendiums in the not to distant future
+1 A deeply wanted feature
Take my vote
Mira
Pro
The progress on this feature is such a genuine disappointment. At this point, the frequency I find myself back on this thread is almost once a year. Every time, there is no progress, only vague promises. The fact that this is a trend for most features was worrying and is now tiring. 
Shockingly I search for a solution to my problem only to find yet another giant thread here and the roll20 team ignoring it. 
+1
Hat
Plus
TTRPGs are based on unique and interesting experiences, the fact that we have not had a Homebrew/Custom compendium is actually appalling. This should have been implemented before the Compendiums of payable content, Now that they force us to pay for books to add to the compendium how can they allow us to add stuff we want ourselves, and still charge us for official content? only when you solve this problem will you ever see progress on homebrew, Could limit the number of custom items/spells/abilities to prevent people from just adding multiple books worth of content?
Weeks and months and years of users asking for something, Roll20 promising to look into it, but no substantive follow-up. Business as usual, I see.
+1
Pity.
I'm cancelling my pro subscription until this is implemented