Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Pins linked to Handouts

Score + 665
+1
+1

Edited 1548708658
I remember running into this post a while back and I came out searching to see how to do this again and ran into it again.  Still not implemented? 
+1. For a long term campaign, this is very crucial to making information easy to find and access for players.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We have been working on an internal prototype of this request, a Hacktoberfest project. We were able to prototype the functionality, but finishing and releasing depends on enhancements to how the VTT manages character data as well as developer time to bring the feature from prototype to finished.
+1
It would be especially good for official modules, like Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss etc.
+1
kenton h. said: We have been working on an internal prototype of this request, a Hacktoberfest project. We were able to prototype the functionality, but finishing and releasing depends on enhancements to how the VTT manages character data as well as developer time to bring the feature from prototype to finished. Is there any further news on this yet? I don't mean to be naggy, but this is definitely the single feature that would boost my ability to run a game. There's only so many notes that I can squeeze into the sections of my maps my players can't see, and I'm endlessly forgetting things that this would help me remember. 
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Bring Your Own Beat is nearing our completion. Once it has been released and is stable, the infrastructure for supporting map pins will begin. A timeline will be announced once we have certainty.
Cheers! Long last!
kenton h. said: Bring Your Own Beat is nearing our completion. Once it has been released and is stable, the infrastructure for supporting map pins will begin. A timeline will be announced once we have certainty. So, any news ? I can't wait :)
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Bring Your Own Beat update  (Pro link) is now on the Development server. It will stay there for testing, and we will schedule this feature for development once that the audio and playlist tools have been fully tested and deployed publicly. While there is still some significant work in between where we are now and the development of this feature, we are making progress.
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1 from me also
+1
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Airsickhydra figured out a way to do a pretty decent version of this in the current system.&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7439301/creating-a-clickable-world-map" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7439301/creating-a-clickable-world-map</a>

Edited 1557579488
It's a good hack, but still needs an extra step to open the handout/info (player needs to click the link to handout in the chat window).&nbsp; It'd be nice to have a direct link.

Edited 1572533890
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Bring Your Own Beat update is now live, and we are moving through the support phase of that release. As we wrap that up, we are starting work on changes to the architecture of the Virtual Tabletop. One of the top reasons for those changes is to support the addition of this request. While that is true, we are not yet at the point where I'm considering this Suggestion Queued. However, we are several steps closer.
+1
+1
Darshyne said: Stephanie B. said: Hi, there. Dropping in to respond. This is a feature we absolutely want to provide. It's important to you, and it's important to us. Generally, we no longer mark things as "Long Term" unless it's somewhere on our roadmap with a "release in roughly this quarter" timeline (old tickets still have Long Term on them, though). Since we don't have that for this feature, I'm not comfortable committing to when we might be releasing it. But we are aware of the suggestion. We have explored it. We haven't decided not &nbsp;to do it (if we had, we'd comment and close the thread). And we appreciate people continuing to upvote it and comment on it with their support for this suggestion-- that's an excellent way for the suggestion to stay on the radar. I don't understand why it is not already done? Such a simple feature. but hey we have gif animation now... great, but far more useless, for QoL. Come on, this has been ask for more than a year, and nothing! I read this and you gave me an idea. I am going to start with a transparent token and convert it into an animated gif with the location description in floating text, then just place the animated token directly on the map. Turn on the animation to pop up the text then pause to read. Hopefully this will maintain transparency with the GIF and not be a huge headache for me to try. IF it works for me I will post my results in another section.
It looks like this is the correct forum for this idea after all.&nbsp; I used GIMP 2.0 and made a simple transparent layer to text layer animated gif. I just did a copy paste from players description for a handout I had already created in game. I uploaded the GIF to my library and placed it on top of the map location on the Token Layer. I gave all players control.&nbsp; Everyone can now select the location, click on the play button and the text will appear, once it is read they hit play again until the text disappears again.
+1

Edited 1563444194
+1 (I am so very hyped and really hope to see this implemented into the system!!!)

Edited 1563953914
+1 This feature would be really useful for a lot of things in RPGs, Lore handouts on the map itself, more information about a creature they are facing, etc.&nbsp;
+1 I think my main usage will be to have the map pin "only for GM" to see. And clicking it would open it to me (GM) only, and from there I can "show to all players" if need be.
+1 Yes!!!
I'm not nay-saying this, as I would love to have it, but several of the expanded features of Roll20 have been slowing down games for me and my fellow players, and I would only want this if it would not expand that issue. That having been said it does sound like a great feature that would be excellent to have. Just include a few how to videos for us comp-illiterates to figure out how to make it happen. :-)
+ 1, whats the best turn around for now ?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Satori said: + 1, whats the best turn around for now ? If you mean work around, you could try this:&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=6816730#post-6816730" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=6816730#post-6816730</a>
Yes sorry, work around, been trying this method since this afternoon, not sure to get it right, but I'm not done yet :)
+1 !
+1
I need too (+1)
+1
Any word when this will be added
+1

Edited 1571286381
+1 - it would be really useful for splash pages as well. I created a rules "handout" token and one for world lore, and a player said they don't like the aesthetics of how there is a visible character sheet button when they shift doubleclick it. Which I tend to agree with.
I'd like to personally +1 the hell out of this.
+1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
My apologies for the delay between updates. This full feature is still blocked by updates to the Virtual Tabletop infrastructure. However, We've worked on an internal prototype, which we are reworking based on our testing. We don't have a spot on the schedule at this point to finish design, development, and testing.
Kenton said: My apologies for the delay between updates. This full feature is still blocked by updates to the Virtual Tabletop infrastructure. However, We've worked on an internal prototype, which we are reworking based on our testing. We don't have a spot on the schedule at this point to finish design, development, and testing. YAY!!! It is getting closer!!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Nice to hear it is at least in the initial tinkering stage.
I am so looking forward to this feature!! It will be another one of the reasons I choose to stay on this platform versus moving to other VTT platforms!
+1 To be honest, this is one of the main reasons my Pathfinder 2E group wants to switch over to Fantasy Grounds (that, and FG already has the PF2 APs ready to go, while Roll20 is taking a suspiciously long time getting around to them). If this feature is something that we could get to see sooner rather than later, it would definitely sway our group to stay. As a GM with ADHD, having all my game notes right on the tabletop would help my GMing immensely.
+1