Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Pins linked to Handouts

Score + 665
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
InvariantViolation said: +1, anyone know why this is marked as "Blocked"? This is a feature that is very well done in Foundry VTT, and it's a shame this issue is 3 years old I wish I knew, Roll20 is not being very good with these requests.... I would switch to Foundry VTT, but honestly it's a bit more involved for a WoD game than I need, I just wish I could have these small improvements :(
It really is entirely possible, though. You just have to use tokens classed as "characters" instead of "handouts." Then you can Shift+Click on the token, which can look like anything, to bring up the "character" handout (which doesn't have to actually be a character). I also want proper "map pins" for handouts, but in the interim this is a high-functioning workaround. InvariantViolation said: Gabi  said: InvariantViolation  said: +1, anyone know why this is marked as "Blocked"? This is a feature that is very well done in Foundry VTT, and it's a shame this issue is 3 years old I wish I knew, Roll20 is not being very good with these requests.... I would switch to Foundry VTT, but honestly it's a bit more involved for a WoD game than I need, I just wish I could have these small improvements :( Yeah, I'm trying out Foundry now and made a beautiful world map with landmarks linked to journal entries. I tried to recreate it in Roll20, and was heartbroken that it wasn't possible 
+1
Yes! So much yes. I'm currently using external websites to place pins on maps there because of this... because I really don't want to clutter the journal with even more "characters", when a handout is less resource-heavy.... So a way to pin stuff, and directly open a handout without having to go through a character first would be pretty amazing.
+1
Lady Saga said: Yes! So much yes. I'm currently using external websites to place pins on maps there because of this... because I really don't want to clutter the journal with even more "characters", when a handout is less resource-heavy.... So a way to pin stuff, and directly open a handout without having to go through a character first would be pretty amazing. This!!!^^^
Guys, interactive maps with rollable table tokens linked to handouts by a "Gather Info" button (macro) are doable! And not that complicated! My maps are entirely interective now! <a href="https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE</a> I have twerked a little bit with this macro in the YouTube video and came up with a better version that let's you even gather info about Characters and NPC'S, just by pressing the "Gather Info" macro button...

Edited 1599061644
Caio B. said: Guys, interactive maps with rollable table tokens linked to handouts by a "Gather Info" button (macro) are doable! And not that complicated! My maps are entirely interective now! <a href="https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE</a> I have twerked a little bit with this macro in the YouTube video and came up with a better version that let's you even gather info about Characters and NPC'S, just by pressing the "Gather Info" macro button... Thank you, just watched your video. Well, it seems like Roll20 is ignoring this particular thread despite the amount of people that commented on it :/ so yeah, might have to use your workaround in the meantime. What is this Gather Info button? It wasn't mentioned in the video... Edit: realised I am a dummy and you meant that you named the macros as Gather Intel in the vide
Gabi said: Caio B. said: Guys, interactive maps with rollable table tokens linked to handouts by a "Gather Info" button (macro) are doable! And not that complicated! My maps are entirely interective now! <a href="https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE</a> I have twerked a little bit with this macro in the YouTube video and came up with a better version that let's you even gather info about Characters and NPC'S, just by pressing the "Gather Info" macro button... Thank you, just watched your video. Well, it seems like Roll20 is ignoring this particular thread despite the amount of people that commented on it :/ so yeah, might have to use your workaround in the meantime. What is this Gather Info button? It wasn't mentioned in the video... Edit: realised I am a dummy and you meant that you named the macros as Gather Intel in the vide I have just moved over to FoundryVTT.&nbsp; Much better solution than Roll20.&nbsp; I have been asking for this feature for years.
Rinzler said: Gabi said: Caio B. said: Guys, interactive maps with rollable table tokens linked to handouts by a "Gather Info" button (macro) are doable! And not that complicated! My maps are entirely interective now! <a href="https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE</a> I have twerked a little bit with this macro in the YouTube video and came up with a better version that let's you even gather info about Characters and NPC'S, just by pressing the "Gather Info" macro button... Thank you, just watched your video. Well, it seems like Roll20 is ignoring this particular thread despite the amount of people that commented on it :/ so yeah, might have to use your workaround in the meantime. What is this Gather Info button? It wasn't mentioned in the video... Edit: realised I am a dummy and you meant that you named the macros as Gather Intel in the vide I have just moved over to FoundryVTT.&nbsp; Much better solution than Roll20.&nbsp; I have been asking for this feature for years. I would but honestly, my game is not map-intensive as I'm running World of Darkness. Foundry has a lot of stuff that I honestly will not need for my games, even though they are super impressive. I literally just need 1-2 small map things (like this one + map token visibility per player) and I am happy to stick with Roll20
+1
Caio B. said: Guys, interactive maps with rollable table tokens linked to handouts by a "Gather Info" button (macro) are doable! And not that complicated! My maps are entirely interective now! <a href="https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/kNiwPx5V8GE</a> I have twerked a little bit with this macro in the YouTube video and came up with a better version that let's you even gather info about Characters and NPC'S, just by pressing the "Gather Info" macro button... Just wanted to say thank you again for this! It helped me create exactly what I wanted, even though it was a bit more hassle than if it was a built-in feature done by roll20. Again, thanks a ton!
+1
+1 And I will add that any work around suggested is not the same as an actual token that when double click opens the hand out as the author suggest. Is a simple function that would greatly improve many aspect of the game experience. Party finding cool magical items... a book etc. Quite honestly I am surprised is not already implemented!
I completely agree and would also like this feature, but just for the record this is currently basically possible--you just have to create a "character" instead of a "handout," and you can shift+click on the "character token" (which can look like anything) to get the "character sheet" (which has all the features of a handout, plus more) to come up. Nicolashe said: +1 And I will add that any work around suggested is not the same as an actual token that when double click opens the hand out as the author suggest. Is a simple function that would greatly improve many aspect of the game experience. Party finding cool magical items... a book etc. Quite honestly I am surprised is not already implemented!
+1 we can drag a character linked to a toke&nbsp; to the map. Why&nbsp; not a token on the GM level the same for a handout?
+1. I don't see why non-Pro members can't have this.
+1
+1
I've been waiting on this functionality for four years and it still isn't here, like so many other things. I also am in the process of switching to Foundry VTT because of it. I'm just so disappointed with Roll20's entire support for their platform.&nbsp;
Dave said: I completely agree and would also like this feature, but just for the record this is currently basically possible--you just have to create a "character" instead of a "handout," and you can shift+click on the "character token" (which can look like anything) to get the "character sheet" (which has all the features of a handout, plus more) to come up. Nicolashe said: +1 And I will add that any work around suggested is not the same as an actual token that when double click opens the hand out as the author suggest. Is a simple function that would greatly improve many aspect of the game experience. Party finding cool magical items... a book etc. Quite honestly I am surprised is not already implemented! That's exactly what my workaround does; you just create the handout as a "character" instead of a "handout." However, I completely agree with you. This is definitely a feature that should already exist. Similarly, you should be able to click the portrait on a character sheet and have it zoom in/enlarge, just like the image on a handout.
+1
+1
For those suggesting charactersheets instead of handouts: The game I play has a heavy charactersheet. Every character in the journal adds more than 20 000 lines of code to the site. Yes, it probably is not the best written character sheet, but it's the only option I have atm. So to cut down on page-loading time I delete every character I don't need anymore. I can't afford to have multiple character sheets for map-links, when handouts would do the job just fine. This workaround may give me maplinks, but at the cost of added loading time. Thank you, next.
Danii said: For those suggesting charactersheets instead of handouts: The game I play has a heavy charactersheet. Every character in the journal adds more than 20 000 lines of code to the site. Yes, it probably is not the best written character sheet, but it's the only option I have atm. So to cut down on page-loading time I delete every character I don't need anymore. I can't afford to have multiple character sheets for map-links, when handouts would do the job just fine. This workaround may give me maplinks, but at the cost of added loading time. Thank you, next. I also use very large character sheets, so I sympathize--and I agree, the handout option still really needs to be created. For that matter, the ability to have different character sheets for a single campaign is another thing this site could really use. That way, you could load a few "heavy" sheets and the others could be "light" sheets. (Anyone know a link to an active thread for such a suggestion already?) A larger variety of sheets/handout options in general would be really nice....
Dave said: Danii said: For those suggesting charactersheets instead of handouts: The game I play has a heavy charactersheet. Every character in the journal adds more than 20 000 lines of code to the site. Yes, it probably is not the best written character sheet, but it's the only option I have atm. So to cut down on page-loading time I delete every character I don't need anymore. I can't afford to have multiple character sheets for map-links, when handouts would do the job just fine. This workaround may give me maplinks, but at the cost of added loading time. Thank you, next. I also use very large character sheets, so I sympathize--and I agree, the handout option still really needs to be created. For that matter, the ability to have different character sheets for a single campaign is another thing this site could really use. That way, you could load a few "heavy" sheets and the others could be "light" sheets. (Anyone know a link to an active thread for such a suggestion already?) A larger variety of sheets/handout options in general would be really nice.... I have been waiting for this for years.&nbsp; I also tried the character sheet route and because I did, the load times became unbearable.&nbsp; I moved over to FoundryVTT until this is addressed as this exact feature is implemented well in that software.
Danii said: For those suggesting charactersheets instead of handouts: The game I play has a heavy charactersheet. Every character in the journal adds more than 20 000 lines of code to the site. Yes, it probably is not the best written character sheet, but it's the only option I have atm. So to cut down on page-loading time I delete every character I don't need anymore. I can't afford to have multiple character sheets for map-links, when handouts would do the job just fine. This workaround may give me maplinks, but at the cost of added loading time. Thank you, next. As a workaround, since you're a Pro user, you can get fairly close to map pin functionality using the Supernotes script from the one-click. Create one character sheet for map pins. If you want your players to be able to access info about the pins, give them all control of the character sheet. Then drag pins onto whatever map, assign those pins to that character sheet, change the token name for each pin to whatever you want, and put info in the GM Notes field of each token (text, links, API commands, etc.). Then let your players know that they can pull info from each map pin by selecting the token and running !pcnote command. Or just make a !pcnote macro available for them (that's what I do).&nbsp;
+1
Any updates on this feature request? This would be a game changer when DMing. Maybe there's a way to open source this as it seems like there's a number of capable developers/designers that could help speed this to prod?
+1
+1
for the love of god give us map pinning fantasygrounds has had it since day 1. roll20 has been going since 2012. how much longer do we have to wait
+1
+1
+1, just want to keep te topic under radar. I have started pro few months ago, so I have a lot to investigate on macros, scripting, etc... but it seems like a good option to have implemented on the base roll20 app for DMs, since we can benefit from having extra info on rooms to handle to player on our choice depending on their perception checks, light conditions, etc..
Cortolari said: +1, just want to keep te topic under radar. I have started pro few months ago, so I have a lot to investigate on macros, scripting, etc... but it seems like a good option to have implemented on the base roll20 app for DMs, since we can benefit from having extra info on rooms to handle to player on our choice depending on their perception checks, light conditions, etc.. As I mentioned upthread, Pro users have API access, so you might want to check out the Supernotes script (available from the one-click). It doesn't satisfy every need expressed in this thread, but it gets as close to map pins functionality as is currently possible on Roll20. It's a great script, and easy to use; I highly recommend it.
Marco M.
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It is a great script but it's a bit different. For example is someone has a corkboard area, it would be great to be able to drag and drop an handout on the playing field and being able to access and possibly taking notes on it. As it is right right now, you might be able to do it making all handouts as Character sheets, but at that point you have an extra charsheet for every handout
Marco M. said: It is a great script but it's a bit different. For example is someone has a corkboard area, it would be great to be able to drag and drop an handout on the playing field and being able to access and possibly taking notes on it. As it is right right now, you might be able to do it making all handouts as Character sheets, but at that point you have an extra charsheet for every handout Just drop a token with the proper permissions (players can view/edit) onto the map. Players can edit the GM Notes field freely and send whatever's in there to Chat with the !pcnote command (from Supernotes). But maybe I am misunderstanding your use case.
Marco M.
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Tokens are linked to character sheet not handouts (sadly). What I want is the ability for an handout to be dropped and moved by the player (for investigative games using a corkboard). If you make a character sheet dressed as an handout, you always have the sheet and attribute tab popping out when you open it. It's serviceable? It is something you would accept from a premade module you buy? No! In particular now that there is a competitor that has those features allowed by default (see the Chariot of the Gods module for Foundry). I understand that the crosslinking part is difficult, but just a handout as token would be a great improvement in terms of quality of life.