Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Starfinder [ALPHA - WIP] Discussion Thread

Ah, thanks for the clarification then! Personally I like both, and I know that the PF sheet has the ability to choose a background, but I'm not sure you want to implement that, Scott. Just same comments as before, one feels it needs more and the other feels a bit much.
I really like the Circuit links. :)

Edited 1503620940
I know you won't use this but I was playing with filters, for a border. (I was bored) But have fun, keep, throw away, manipulate, ect..., with my (no copyrights) .png I tried to Think mix of Magic and Tech.

Edited 1503676870
Thank you for making this! My only request is that as you write the sheet, please make macros/chat commands to roll attacks skills and saves etc and label every field/button with a sensible name. I have vision-impaired players who play purely via the chat window and currently i write a macro for every skill/attack/save of every char they have.  So they can chat: #joshperc to activate the perception macro for josh's character, for one example.  They can't use the regular character sheet because text to speech cannot interpret all the various buttons & tabs. Blind players are great at d&d/pf, I highly recommend facilitating their participation! Their memories & spacial awareness are super-human.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Tobias, That is certainly something that I am looking to support. However, I don't know what screen-readers require to properly interact with content. I've been doing some of the obvious things; keeping display order and the actual HTML order of elements as close as possible. Using a standardized naming scheme, etc; but these are just good design practice in general. When you say that the screen readers can't process the attribute/ability names, what about them makes that difficult? I know Chris from the pathfinder sheet has been putting lots of work into making that accessible, I'll probably hit him up for some good resources on this topic.
hello, I am super new to roll20 so sorry if this is obvious or obviously impossible but here is my hope and question:  Can you please make it so that the sheet works well on a vertical monitor (widescreen monitor set vertically). I have a dual monitor setup and one is (obviously vertical) and it would really be awesome if the char sheet could live on that screen while I play and the main game could happen on my main screen, preferably without the need for horizontal scrolling (its the worst lol) 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Depending on your resolution, it should work that way as it is now.
Been a few days since I last posted, so a couple responses. Scott C. said: There are a couple reasons for the changed layout. Personally I prefer the equipment section to be on the same page as the main page. With the auto fill, there isn't really a need for the Attack Bonuses section, so I just rolled that into the weapon entries. And finally, following a format from an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper (especially in portrait orientation) on a screen causes lots of scrolling. With this layout, you can just expand the character sheet window horizontally a little and then need very little to no scrolling (depending on screen resolution of course) to see any game affecting section of the sheet at a glance. While there's nothing wrong with personal preference, looking at the layout you have the equipment field just seems... shoved in there... For well outfitted adventurers that tiny space will get over crowded very quickly with weapons, armor, cybernetic augments, personal upgrades, comms, flashlights, tolls kits, magic items, serums, hybrid items, backpacks, drugs, meds, poisons, spent and full batteries, and power cells... It just seems like there's a better use of that space. Though what that is I can not say. Goggles said: Here are a couple background design ideas! One is a black background with stars, also with an optional "circuit" design (while purely aesthetic, it does connect things that would be correlated, such as "Strength" to "Attacks," "Intelligence" to "Skills" and so forth) [snip] The other still has a starfield, but without the circuits, instead with a nebula-like field of color in the background. [snip] Personally, I'm enjoying the first one since it's more neutral. What do you guys think? I too prefer the first one, the second one seems like to much to me... I went through something similar when I was trying to find a good background for my star ship sections of my campaign, and settled on one that was mostly white stars with a fe3w color shifted stars in it.
Re: Accessibility related comments ~ day ago. Scott - You can check out content at&nbsp; <a href="https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag" rel="nofollow">https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag</a> for information on making content accessible. I have no idea how compliant Roll20's interface is with WCAG standards but it may help you with formatting the sheets.&nbsp; Also want to thank Scott for his work on developing the sheets. If there was a donate to Scott button somewhere I'd click it.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks Kelly, that site looks like a great resource. I'll start working my way through it. As for the donation, I appreciate the thought, but that'd make this too much like a job ;)
Agreed! If nothing else, I feel as though the Roll20 admins should have taken notice of Scott's endeavors. I've been working with some additional graphics to help out, as it is we're waiting for the next beta of the character sheet before I start working on specifics. If anyone has any thematic suggestions, PM me or let me know in this thread!
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
Hey Goggles - I like the backgrounds but...they seem to be extreme ends of a spectrum from very plain to technicolor.&nbsp; Maybe something a bit halfway would be nice?&nbsp; I was thinking that it would be cool to try using some of the hubble photos as a background.&nbsp; There are some pretty incredible ones, and they are free for the public to use.. <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=hubble+photos&tbm=" rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/search?q=hubble+photos&tbm=</a>... AtD
Hey there. First I'd like to thank Scott and Googles for their work. But I'd like to share thoughts about background. Would be nice to have options for them. For example, I'm sure not everyone will like "stars" background. I'd like to see just solid background like Roll20 forum name colors&nbsp;"lite blue" with additional borders for sections. Or even just leave it white. As an option. Also, would be nice to have in character sheet description of bonus type: insight, circumstance etc - to be able see what will stack together by group buffs and what wouldn't. I'm not cool with graphic design tools but made some example what I'm talking about.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I do have a background and a degree in graphic design, which is worth about as much weight as one wants to put on it, so take this with a grain of salt. ;) The primary purpose of a character sheet is quick reference to abilities needed for the game. The less detail that carries no info, the better. I would recommend against any kind of image background and go for a solid color or subtle css gradient. My suggestion would be to keep in the same blue palette that so far predominates, but make it very pale, so that you don't lose your containing outlines. Alternatively, if you want to make it "spacey", use black. But don't sprinkle stars or nebulae on it. Here are quick and dirty samples:
^ From the above, I prefer the blue.&nbsp;
Those are pretty good samples for the time involved. I don't have that level of experience in graphic design, so I defer to your judgement, Keith. A solid color in CSS would also prevent stretching at weird resolutions and the like. I think a light blue would suffice, for the sake of simplicity.
Scott C. said: Depending on your resolution, it should work that way as it is now. Awesome! My resolution for the vertical monitor is 1080x1920 so it should be pretty "normal" for a vertically oriented monitor. I am even more excited for this now!&nbsp;
I like very much the light blue background, looks "lighter".
Keith, both looks pretty good. To be honest I'd like to have both choices to change it according game/personal mood :D
If it ends up this way, Black please :) Tom
Loving how this is looking so far. Very excited for the sheet to be available.&nbsp;
This sheet looks incredible, can't wait to get my hands on it, Starfinder looks amazing&nbsp;

Edited 1503942434
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The layout is changing a little, becoming more condensed. It'll fit horizontally in the default-sized character window with the new layout and still won't require much vertical scrolling to see relevant information. Once I've got the formatting of each section finished, I'll post a preview.
Was just checking to see if anyone had started the Starfinder character sheets and I'm thrilled. Scott, you are awesome, thank you for your hard work!
I personally dont care about the color or background, just long as it works. &nbsp;I am just excited to get my group playing some starfinder.
The sheet looks great so far. &nbsp;Is there an ETA on this?
We've been using /roll and paper sheets, haha. So, this'll be great.
Adam W. said: The sheet looks great so far. &nbsp;Is there an ETA on this? Scott said before he thought it would be 2-4 weeks.&nbsp;
Scott C. said: The layout is changing a little, becoming more condensed. It'll fit horizontally in the default-sized character window with the new layout and still won't require much vertical scrolling to see relevant information. Once I've got the formatting of each section finished, I'll post a preview. Very excited for updates, we start our campaign friday!&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: I do have a background and a degree in graphic design, which is worth about as much weight as one wants to put on it, so take this with a grain of salt. ;) The primary purpose of a character sheet is quick reference to abilities needed for the game. The less detail that carries no info, the better. I would recommend against any kind of image background and go for a solid color or subtle css gradient. My suggestion would be to keep in the same blue palette that so far predominates, but make it very pale, so that you don't lose your containing outlines.&nbsp; +1 vote for blue. Thank you for working on this.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheWebCoder said: keithcurtis said: I do have a background and a degree in graphic design, which is worth about as much weight as one wants to put on it, so take this with a grain of salt. ;) The primary purpose of a character sheet is quick reference to abilities needed for the game. The less detail that carries no info, the better. I would recommend against any kind of image background and go for a solid color or subtle css gradient. My suggestion would be to keep in the same blue palette that so far predominates, but make it very pale, so that you don't lose your containing outlines.&nbsp; +1 vote for blue. Thank you for working on this. Oh, good Lord, please don't thank me . I spent two minutes on this. Scott C. is the genius and mastermind here.
Just stopping through, checking on the progress. Keep up the great work, guys! I'd buy you a beer, but considering i don't know where y'all are at, i'll just have to drink one for you instead! :D
Hey, Just stopping in to give my .02 credits.&nbsp; Sheet looks good so far, and I'm glad you are taking the 5e OGL approach because it's my favorite sheet to use.&nbsp; Out of the options that keithcurtis gave us I would say the light blue is easier on the eyes, but the black seems more in theme.&nbsp; I would vote blue.&nbsp; My input on the layout is as follows: I would like to see the Initiative, Health, Ability scores, Armor Class, and Saving throw sections take on the stylistic design of the equipment section.&nbsp; The numbers floating in space kind of bother me. The skills section looks natural to me.&nbsp; I have to admit it goes against the grain to have them on the left instead of the right lol.&nbsp; Really though that doesn't matter because I'll just get use to it. In regards to whether you should have a seperate NPC Ship sheet - Incident at Absolon Station seems to use condensed stat blocks for NPC ships that are similar to those used for NPCs.&nbsp; I haven't run it so I don't know if that makes it easier.&nbsp; My thing is that as a GM I would like the sheet to assist me visually with keeping track of the shields.&nbsp; Aka Please have them arranged in a + pattern of some kind. Other than that I would just like to thank you for putting in the effort :)
If you need any help I be happy to help.
It's a nice simple start to a good sheet. However I still like the Pathfinder one just cause it makes it a lot easier for GMs. I have seen a lot of people complaining or supporting auto calculations on here and some times people don't want to get bogged down by math and just want to play and roll dice. So it is nice to have everything at your finger tips. It is the reason I like the Pathfinder sheet. Switch on some buffs/debuffs and there you go. No number crunching needed. Would be nice if this sheet had the option on adding buffs or turning on statuses.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Jamerific, I too enjoy the pathfinder sheet and am the creator of the PF companion script. I love a lot of the features on the pathfinder sheet, but style-wise, I think that the 5e OGL sheets simpler layout makes it easier to interact with. Assuming I can manage it, I'm hoping to blend the functionality of the pathfinder sheet and the ease of use of the 5e OGL sheet. You may notice the buffs tab in the upper right of the preview images as well as the empty field with placeholder text of "+X EAC, +X Luck to Will" in the item field at the bottom. These are both going to be areas where you can apply buffs/debuffs/conditions to the character as you can with the pathfinder sheet. The buffs section html/css isn't programmed in yet, and I'm currently working on the sheetworkers to power the item section. How these two sections function may change as development continues. Happy Gaming, Scott
@Scott c. Approx. How much time do you believe until the sheet launches
I agree. It does look very neat and clean. Heck, i'm even willing to go up to pro so my static group can help test the sheets :D i'm itching to get some games started, and I didnt want to do that until the sheets were at least in a beta phase.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
@Ted, ETA is still the same as before, 2-4 weeks (well, that was like a week ago, so 1-3 weeks).
@Scott, are you still planning on doing a beta before then, or will the sheet launch be the start of the beta
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm planning for there to be a beta, how long it will last, no idea. And it may be that the beta will be in 2-3 weeks with the sheet actually releasing after that.
Scott C. said: Hi Jamerific, I too enjoy the pathfinder sheet and am the creator of the PF companion script. I love a lot of the features on the pathfinder sheet, but style-wise, I think that the 5e OGL sheets simpler layout makes it easier to interact with. Assuming I can manage it, I'm hoping to blend the functionality of the pathfinder sheet and the ease of use of the 5e OGL sheet. You may notice the buffs tab in the upper right of the preview images as well as the empty field with placeholder text of "+X EAC, +X Luck to Will" in the item field at the bottom. These are both going to be areas where you can apply buffs/debuffs/conditions to the character as you can with the pathfinder sheet. The buffs section html/css isn't programmed in yet, and I'm currently working on the sheetworkers to power the item section. How these two sections function may change as development continues. Happy Gaming, Scott Ah yeah, I can see it. Cool beans. That will make things a lot easier on my end when it comes time to run a game. Can't wait to test it out.

Edited 1504225650
For anyone who wants or needs it, the StarfinderSRD has been released. <a href="http://www.starfindersrd.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.starfindersrd.com/</a>
Thanks Demko.. Id like to sign up to be a beta tester.
Hey, Scott, thanks for supporting the online SF community. I'd be happy to help you with beta-feedback.
I'd be happy to help testing as well.
I would definitely be interested in beta aspects of this project. &nbsp;
I also would be Interested in Beta testing :)

Edited 1504303874
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi everyone, Sorry I've been silent on updates on the sheet. I've been busy reworking the methodology of the sheet's sheetworkers to be more efficient. The downside to this is that I had to scrap everything I had (sheetworker wise) and start over. The upside is that the new methodology is a lot easier to follow so the programming is going faster now. The Core tab of the player sheet should be feature complete (and reasonably styled) sometime this weekend. Would anyone be interested if I created a Starfinder Character Sheet: Alpha &nbsp;game? You'd be able to work with the sheet as it currently stands and give me feedback on how it feels to interact with and/or how well it supports the game. See you all around the VTT, Scott
I would.... my gaming group meets on saturday and I can have them all look at it, and then I can post their comments, and mine here.