Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[SF] Starfinder HUD - Thread 1

Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
There are quite a few features that I still plan to investigate the feasibility of. In no particular order, and making no forecasts as to when they might be released, they are: Filters for attacks, abilities, items, spells NPC and ship buffs spell compendium buff and condition selections
Hey, this one might be a bit more problematic. I went back to double check the Piloting skill check, and confirmed that simply doing "+1 to Piloting" now assigns an untyped bonus to roll. However, through other things, I discovered that it should actually be taking an Encumbrance penalty, since being Encumbered puts a -5 to all Str and Dex checks. I have no idea if there's a way to do that, but thought to let you know.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hmm, the sheet should be taking encumbrance penalties into account. I'll look into that, but since it's not such a drastic bug, I'll wait till the next merge cycle to push the update.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, Matthew, figured it out. The sheet is working as intended. This is a bit of a grey area in the rules. The encumbrance rules say all strength and dexterity rolls, but the armor check rules say most   strength and dexterity checks and piloting is not denoted as an ACP affected skill on the character sheet or in the CRB. My interpretation of the RAW is that piloting is not meant to be affected by ACP. If you do want it to be affected, simply expand the piloting check row by clicking the cog icon that will appear when you hover over the row. Once it's expanded, there will be a checkbox for ACP. Mark that and it will be affected by armor check penalties just like an acrobatics check. It will also get a shield icon next to it denoting that it is affected by ACP.
Okay, it's nothing against you, I'm currently in a argument with Lone Wolf staff over it, and also over the fact that they insinuated I screwed up the ammo and they were working right. My 60 rounds of heavy ammo not having any bulk tends to disagree with them on that........
Okay, doing some digging seems to indicate that skills can be affected by Encumbrance even if they don't suffer from ACP, since most STR skills don't suffer from ACP anyways. However, as you said, I can easily turn on ACP if I want to add that penalty, but wanted to give you a heads up. What you do with this is up to you. I also apologize because I'm an idiot and meant Encumbrance the whole time but kept saying ACP.
Hi! Sorry if this has been answered but what happens to characters using the (simple) sheet if I switch to this one?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Matthew B. said: Okay, doing some digging seems to indicate that skills can be affected by Encumbrance even if they don't suffer from ACP, since most STR skills don't suffer from ACP anyways. However, as you said, I can easily turn on ACP if I want to add that penalty, but wanted to give you a heads up. What you do with this is up to you. I also apologize because I'm an idiot and meant Encumbrance the whole time but kept saying ACP. As far as I know, there's only one strength skill, Athletics, and it is affected by acp.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Eli C. said: Hi! Sorry if this has been answered but what happens to characters using the (simple) sheet if I switch to this one? Hi Eli, I don't have an answer for you, but I would recommend remaking the character.

Edited 1519305048
Scott C. said: Eli C. said: Hi! Sorry if this has been answered but what happens to characters using the (simple) sheet if I switch to this one? Hi Eli, I don't have an answer for you, but I would recommend remaking the character. Hi, I can answer to that one as i've already done that. I made a copy of my game before. Only attributes with same names are kept and there's only few of them (kac, eac...). The only way is to remake the characters as suggested by Scott and in fact imo it is highly recommended as you can customize and automatize calculations with mods.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks Tim. And, as an explanation why this probably won't change: the HUD does a lot of calculations with sheetworkers to arrive at your final values that are displayed on the sheet. Straight acceptance of attributes from the simple sheet will almost certainly be overwritten once you make a change to the sheet as it recalculates the attribute values.
@all, Don't forget that if you are a GM and you are trying to import NPC info,  Scott did code up a Stat Block Importer.  It's pretty fantastic for quickly adding monsters to your games. PCs will have to remake their character sheets by and large.
Scott, I'm chasing something else down here. Ammo might end up being a pain, because someone else in a thread I was in said that the ammo bulk was for multiple rounds, not individual. So like right now, I have a character that has 60 rounds of heavy ammo that's clocking in at 6 bulk, but it seems like it should be only 3L, because it's L bulk per 20 rounds. I'm trying to get clarification on that.

Edited 1519339303
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The item compendium entry for heavy rounds is for a cartridge of 20 of them (which would be light bulk). If you are entering 60 for the quantity of them, then it would come out to 6 bulk, and you would actually have 1200 rounds. Starfinder's bulk system means that you don't keep track of the weight of every round, just each individual cartridge.
On a seperate but related note, it would be amazing if the sheet automatically subtracted ammunition when the attack associated with it is made.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That feature will require the API as the sheet isn't capable of detecting when rolls are made.
Scott C. said: The item compendium entry for heavy rounds is for a cartridge of 20 of them (which would be light bulk). If you are entering 60 for the quantity of them, then it would come out to 6 bulk, and you would actually have 1200 rounds. Starfinder's bulk system means that you don't keep track of the weight of every round, just each individual cartridge. Ooooooohhhh..... So I'm an idiot, gotcha. Okay cool, so for those rounds, I would buy "3" heavy rounds to account for 60 total. Gotcha.
Okay, let's see if I'm still being an idiot here. Character I'm testing with is showing 8 bulk, with Encumbrance value of 8, STR of 14, and Industrial backpack. According to latest FAQ, you can carry up to half your STR without becoming encumbered. The sheet is, however, putting him into the Encumbered category. His full layout is: Golemforged Plating 1 Light Reaction Cannon Computer Tier 1 Personal Comm Unit Flashlight 10 Minor Intoxicants 2 Major Intoxicants Starstone compass Mass produced tent Travel clothing 60 rounds heavy ammo Industrial backpack.

Edited 1519342875
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Do you have the link for that faq matthew? The sheet is programmed based on the rule in the CRB that if you have your encumber value or higher, you are encumbered, and same for overburdened. Nvm, found it. I'll get that fixed for the next merge day.
First of love the new sheets guys great work but as a player whos playing a melee soldier and a dragonking one at that Iv got some questions firat off is the soldier's melee striker gear bust that alows for STR and a half to be added to damg is thare any plains to implament that  and second the dragon kin and other races have abliatys that give weapon speshalazation that adds 1.5 their lv to dmg rather then the reguler lv to dmg and in the case of the dragonkins breath weapon the DC for it is 10+con+1/2 charter LV basicly Im asking is thare plains to acomadate odd abliatys like this

Edited 1519357288
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
These can all be handled already. Your questions in order: Specializations that add 1.5x level to damage Put the following after your dice expression: +floor(@{character_level}/2) e.g. 1d8+floor(@{character_level}/2) Abilities that key off of character level instead of class level Simply put their source as your race (or a feat) and set the appropriate ability score for the dc to be based on. The sheet will handle the rest. EDIT: For melee striker, you could instead add the following to the mods field of the ability: +floor(@{character_level}/2) to damage|engagement_range:melee

Edited 1519382788
Hi, Scott I need some clarifications on how to mod profession skills. I tried somethings like that : +1 to profession name +1 to Profession|name:profession name +1 to skill|type:Profession|name:profession name but none of them works.

Edited 1519434947
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hey Tim, You're very close with your examples there. The only one that isn't close is the third one. For the other two, simply remove that last "name" after "profession". So, to buff all professions: +1 to profession To buff only profession Bounty Hunter: +1 to profession|name:bounty hunter Also, the buff syntax is NOT  case sensitive. EDIT: And, I think what you were trying to do with that third one was restrict the buff baed on two attributes. To do that I'll use an attack buff as an example: So, let's imagine we have a flame doshko (fire damage, melee weapon), and a flame pistol (fire damage, ranged weapon). Now, imagine we have a buff that applies half your level as an attack and damage insight bonus to fire melee weapons. To handle this buff, the mod line would be: +floor(@{character_level}/2) insight to attack|engagement_range:melee,type:fire and damage|engagement_range:melee,type:fire Edit2: there might be an issue with filtering mod application if attempting to filter with a multi word value.
Thank you for your reply Scott, in fact what I called "profession name" was actually the profession's name so I was right from the beginning. Unfortunately it does'nt work. One of my players has defined a "con artist" profession. So in the profession field of the skill panel there is a con artist entry. He then added a +1 untyped bonus to this profession in the bonuses panel, something like that : +1 to profession|name:con artist and no bonus appears on the skill. At the end I just did +1 to profession as he does have only 1 profession and it works fine, but I thought I had to report that. I hope i'm clear, english is not my native language.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You're perfectly clear, I'll have that fixed soon
Hey Scott, The operative specialization basically gives free ranks in their specializations abilities per Operative level.  How can we model that in the abilities? I tried this in the mod section: +@{class_1_level} to @{acrobatics_ranks} This did not work as expected (at all actually).  Is there a way to get this to work?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Not directly through mods, however, you can mod your number of skill ranks available, and then assign the ranks.
Thanks for the tip! Final syntax used in the mods was: +@{class_1_level}*2 to skill_points_max This gives the value of the operative's level * number of Specialization skills (2) and adds them to skill points max for use by player in those skills. For those that don't know an Operative's Specialization does the following on top of the specializations 1st level abilities: Your specialization represents your primary area of expertise. Pick one specialization upon taking your 1st level of the operative class. Once made, this choice cannot be changed. Descriptions of the specializations appear on page 94. Your specialization grants you the Skill Focus feat (see page 161) in your specialization’s associated skills , and you gain a free skill rank in each of those skills at each operative level (this does not allow you to exceed the maximum number of skill ranks in a single skill). I was having problems modelling the "And you gain a free skill rank..."  portion of the text.  Thanks again Scott for pointing me on the right way.
That's awesome Jon. I usually try and find codes to put in for everything.  Didn't think of doing that with my players operative. We just went to class details and changes the number of skills ranks from 8 to 10 for the number the class gets.  But I like yours as well.  I'll have to keep that in mind. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jon and Travis, had a thought, you could also do it this way: +@{class_X_level}+@{skill_1_class_skill} ranks to skill_1 +@{class_X_level}+@{skill_2_class_skill} ranks to skill_2 This won't actually affect the ranks in the skill, but it'll have the same effect.
On another note, what is the best way to make a triggerable Trick attack? I'd like to use an at will ability to add the damage to an attack while simultaneously adding the bonuses to the skill checks.

Edited 1519685093
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm still not sure of the best way to handle trick attack. There's a couple things I could see doing, none of them are built into the sheet just yet. Currently the best way I think would be: In your attack description : Trick Attack: [[1d20+@{ skill _ranks}+@{ skill _class_skill}+@{ skill _ability}@{ skill _misc}+ bonus to trick attack check if applicable ]] [Trick Attack](~ Character Name |repeating_ability_$X_roll) <--- replace the X with the position of your trick attack ability (remember the numbering starts at 0, not 1) Then, put your trick attack damage in the damage field of the ability, and any debuffs that occur in the description. EDIT: This post has been edited to reflect proper syntax for using the _misc skills.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to finalize this week's patch. Here are the bugs fixes and/or features that will be included in the next merge. This is last call for any bugs that you haven't reported yet if you want them potentially fixed for this next week. Chrome display errors - This one is still a work and progress and may not make it for merge day Encumbrance will now be calculated according to the FAQ Trying to apply a buff to a subset and using a filter value with spaces will now work as intended (e.g. +1 to profession|name:bounty hunter) Starship sheets will now be able to be linked to any character whose name works with attribute call syntax Thanks to all the users who have reported bugs so that they can get fixed.
Hey, apologies for this, it's not an error with your sheet per say, but the compendium your sheet is using doesn't have bulk assigned to computers. For record, computers have a bulk value equal to their tier squared. So a Tier 1 is 1 bulk, Tier 2 is 4 bulk, and so forth. Again, I'm bringing it up here because I'm dumb and don't know who/where to report this.
You are in the right spot to report the errors :) 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks Matthew, The compendium is internal to the sheet. We can all hope that Roll20 eventually makes a Starfinder compendium, but until then... Scott

Edited 1519610399
Hi, Scott. I stumbled across your sheet today and love it. I have been reading the User Guide but I'm having difficulty with feats such as where to place them and the 1st level Solarian abilities. I see in your YouTube video there was a formula placed in range, I was curious about that and how to go about rolling the additional 1d6 damage per Solarian level for Supernova.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Blaez, Glad you're enjoying the sheet, and thanks for watching the tutorial and reading the manual. The equation I put in for the range of Black Hole is: [[20+floor((@{class_1_level}-1)/4)*5]] ft To do the supernova damage, I set up the ability like this: For feats, I place them in the abilities section. Set the source to feat and the dc will be based off your level if you need it. Welcome to the HUD :)
Awesome and thank you so much for answering. One more question, for the drone would I just need to check the box for it or make a whole new sheet for it?

Edited 1519612276
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You're welcome, you will need to make a separate sheet for a mechanic's drone. The drone checkbox just makes it so that the drone's bab and saves scale properly since drones have a different progression from characters.
I swear you're going to hate me cause of all these questions haha. For the Abilities/Feats is there a way to collapse the ability and the description just pop up when it is used in the Chat Log? Or does the description have to always be seen. For example, Low-Light Vision or the description of a feat?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The description (at least the first 4-5 lines of it) is always shown.
I noticed a couple of bugs in the Starship sheet. When I set Power core to glitching, or malfunctioning, it is not giving the penalties to Engineering checks. This also happens on Life Support for Captain actions (which I'm sure is more complicated because it is rolling the skills from the character sheet).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Nathan, Thanks for the report. The engineering checks are not programmed to automatically handle the critical effects because if you are taking the hold-it-together or patch actions, the penalty doesn't apply. I had missed that life support affects captain actions. I'll get that fixed up.

Edited 1519673887
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
v0.041519659152 Bugs Fixed The glow display errors in chrome have been fixed on the sheet. The starship grid display and roll template glow are still being worked on Encumbrance is now triggered based on the  FAQ The mod syntax now allows multi word attribute values to be used to conditionally apply a mod Starship sheets can now be linked to characters with names containing non alphanumeric characters Captain Rolls are now affected by Life Support system status The weight of computers has been fixed in the item compendium Several weapons' crit effects had extra inline roll brackets that caused issues. These have been corrected.
Hey Scott, In the new sheet, all the lettering seems to have doubled in size after the update, making some of the sheet hard to read.  I'm using chrome.
This sheet is compatible with any ammo traking API?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hey Jon, The issues you're seeing are because the sheet is using the backup fonts, and I need to improve the look when not using the Aldrich font. To use the aldrich font, either allow the "unsafe scripts" (it's really just the font files) or download the aldrich font files to your pc and install them. The font files can be found in the github pages branch. I'll be working on improving the display when not using the google font in the next round of updates. Mateus, If your ammo tracking script can handle repeating sections, then yes, it would be compatible with the sheet.
As an aside, with the Trick attack stuff from above,  it seems that when the @{skill_misc} is put in the calculation, it breaks if there is anything following it in the calculation.  On viewing the actual stat in the sheet, skill_misc seems to be unpopulated with a zero (skill was stealth in this instance), which caused the calculation to be  1d20+A+B+C++#  where # was an arbitrary modifier after Skill_Misc, which caused it to display 0 as a result.