Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer (5e OGL) 1.0 Bug Report Thread

Ethan, What is the name of one of the games this is occurring in?
Drespar said: Ethan, What is the name of one of the games this is occurring in? It currently happens in every game I have. If you are looking for one specifically you can check "1977". If you do check it out, could you also tell me why one of my party members continually appears in the game as if they are online, when in fact they aren't? Thanks! 
Ethan B. said: If you do check it out, could you also tell me why one of my party members continually appears in the game as if they are online, when in fact they aren't? Thanks!  This is most likely because your players are closing the tab/browser window rather than by clicking on the Exit Game button in the Chat Window. By closing the tab/window, Roll20 is not able to successfully log the player out of the game and Roll20 thinks that player is still in the game as a result. The only way to fix this, to my knowledge, is for the player to log back in and then log out properly.

Edited 1536666359
Kyle G. said: Ethan B. said: If you do check it out, could you also tell me why one of my party members continually appears in the game as if they are online, when in fact they aren't? Thanks!  This is most likely because your players are closing the tab/browser window rather than by clicking on the Exit Game button in the Chat Window. By closing the tab/window, Roll20 is not able to successfully log the player out of the game and Roll20 thinks that player is still in the game as a result. The only way to fix this, to my knowledge, is for the player to log back in and then log out properly. Thanks Kyle! That did the trick for that issue. 
Thank you for that information Ethan. I was able to reproduce it on my end as well. The issue seems to only happen with the SRD styling of the 5e OGL sheet-- the D&D styled version is just fine. I have submitted a ticket to the devs so they can start working on a fix.
I have both Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes but neither of the new races show up in the Charactermancer when I go to make a character. 
Jared said: I have both Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes but neither of the new races show up in the Charactermancer when I go to make a character.  The charactermancer currently only supports the PHB as a source for classes and races and feats. The devs plan to expand this to other sources once they finalize the system-agnostic charactermancer details as well as squash any remaining bugs with the PHB charactermancer.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread to be more current. Also, not on the Known Issues list, but just fixed: The Druid starting equipment Wooden Shield now applies a bonus to AC.
Drespar said: Thank you for that information Ethan. I was able to reproduce it on my end as well. The issue seems to only happen with the SRD styling of the 5e OGL sheet-- the D&D styled version is just fine. I have submitted a ticket to the devs so they can start working on a fix. Thanks Drespar!!!

Edited 1537120122
Ok, I figured out how to go back to a version of the character sheet that works.  For anyone else who would like to be able to use the sheet in the iPad or Android app: Go to the Campaign Settings page for your campaign Set your Character Sheet Template to "Custom". You'll see a form appear below the dialog with 4 tabs: HTML Layout, CSS Styling, Translation, and Preview Copy the raw HTML for the character sheet template from their GitHub here: Raw HTML Paste that HTML into the "HTML Layout" tab of the form on the Campaign Settings page Copy the raw CSS for the character sheet template from their GitHub here: Raw CSS Paste that HTML into the "CSS Styling" tab of the form on the Campaign Settings page Copy the English translation file for the character sheet from here: English Translation file If you want to use a different language, go here: Other Translations and then click the language you want and copy it from there. Paste the translation JSON text into the "Translation" tab on the form on the Campaign Settings page Scroll down and click "Save Changes" After doing this I was able to use the character sheet in my iPad app. I hope this helps others affected by this issue.
Could I also add my voice to the calls for the Charactermancer to be disabled?  I feel its something that should be opt in, rather than opt out. I've disabled it in my game settings for new characters, and tried to create new NPC's. It still triggers the charactermancer in the mobile app. I'm using both a Samsung Note 9, and an old Nexus 10. Its basically rendered the mobile app useless.  I've traditionally used character creator apps to make my new characters, and whilst I understand that you're bound by the SRD, the requirement to have bought other content to make the Charactermancer of any use means that a large percentage of your userbase wont find it of much use. Thanks Cas.

Edited 1537289488
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, all. I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread with today's release notes. We are still working on fixing the mobile app. Zach: Thanks for providing a workaround; very odd that bringing in all the same code from github would fix the issue for you on mobile, but I am really glad that it's working for you. I will pass your notes to the developer in case it helps him troubleshoot, although at this point, he's fixed the charactermancer issue and is now working out some build errors.
Stephanie B. said: Hi, all. I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread with today's release notes. We are still working on fixing the mobile app. Zach: Thanks for providing a workaround; very odd that bringing in all the same code from github would fix the issue for you on mobile, but I am really glad that it's working for you. I will pass your notes to the developer in case it helps him troubleshoot, although at this point, he's fixed the charactermancer issue and is now working out some build errors. The reason the workaround fixes the charactermancer always staying open is because the specific code linked is the version of the character sheet release just prior to the charactermance update. So it fixes the charactermancer by removing it entirely.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Yep, I see that now. Thanks for the heads up!  For anyone using this workaround: please be aware that as we continue developing this sheet, some things may break over time. For now, it's probably all right as a temporary workaround, but it won't be sustainable in the long term. Tl;dr: Use at your own risk for now. As soon we get the mobile app fixed, you might want to go back to the official sheet for full support.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Gregory W. said (elsewhere): I am new to roll20, and ran into a problem (this is for 5e dungeons and dragons with the OGL character sheet). I seem to be able to create other classes with the charactermancer, but not a barbarian (same race, background, and weapons). When I try to make a barbarian, it gets stuck on "Building your character..." when I click on Apply Changes to finish. Jake G. said (elsewhere): I just ran into the same issue experimenting with a tiefling barbarian. The bar gets stuck at about the 90% mark and never completes.

Edited 1537394118
GenKitty said: Gregory W. said (elsewhere): I am new to roll20, and ran into a problem (this is for 5e dungeons and dragons with the OGL character sheet). I seem to be able to create other classes with the charactermancer, but not a barbarian (same race, background, and weapons). When I try to make a barbarian, it gets stuck on "Building your character..." when I click on Apply Changes to finish. Jake G. said (elsewhere): I just ran into the same issue experimenting with a tiefling barbarian. The bar gets stuck at about the 90% mark and never completes. I am also experiencing this. I successfully used the Charactermancer 3 times today, but on the 4th attempt (minutes ago) the progress bar appears to halt at around 90%. The progress bar completed on the 5th character. I'm using the OGL character sheet with no API additions.
The issues causing the Charactermancer to hang on Barbarian and Monk should now be fixed :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : Hayley B.  said: So I did my character sheet on my pc, but when I open it on my iPad I can’t get rid of these boxes!? Tried everything I can think of including deleting and reinstalling the app. When I open the character sheet in a browser on my iPad it’s fine  just when I use the roll20 app   tri 
Hi Hayley! This is a known issue with the Roll20 App for iPads and is something we are still working to resolve.
Commenting so i get a notification when the status of the bug is updated. -_-
Kenneth P. said: Commenting so i get a notification when the status of the bug is updated. -_- Just so you are aware, commenting does not mean that you will be notified. Instead you must click the Follow Topic  button at the top of the screen underneath your name.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Justin F. said (elsewhere): I am using an Ipad and whenever I go to view a character I get the where would you like to go, Traveler? in the middle of my page and no matter what selection I pick it will not go away. Also the full Charactermancer options show up all at once all the way down the screen from race to review even the Building your character... at the very end.
Drespar said: Hi Hayley! This is a known issue with the Roll20 App for iPads and is something we are still working to resolve. Cheers. 👍
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, all! For anyone who missed it, the Android app has been updated to dismiss the Charactermancer popup. Known issues and feedback thread is here . Please note: The iOS app is still being worked on. There are fairly significant technological barriers due to Apple changing how non-native apps can be submitted, so we do not have a timeline right now for when the app will be ready.
Why not just remove it from the Apple App I know its a loss of sorts but if it is making it unusable all together then the loss is worth the gain.

Edited 1537903245
Drespar
Roll20 Team
As this issue primarily only affects games using the Charactermancer feature (which is implemented directly into a sheet) it does not cause the app to fail for those who are not running these specific sheets and systems. Justin F. said: Why not just remove it from the Apple App I know its a loss of sorts but if it is making it unusable all together then the loss is worth the gain.
Drespar said: As this issue primarily only affects games using the Charactermancer feature (which is implemented directly into a sheet) it does not cause the app to fail for those who are not running these specific sheets and systems. Justin F. said: Why not just remove it from the Apple App I know its a loss of sorts but if it is making it unusable all together then the loss is worth the gain. That is understandable I guess though it's the roll20 "official sheet".  The App was such a draw to this site it just sucks it isn't usable for me. I hope this gets sorted in a reasonable time frame but from the sound of "we do not have a timeline" doesn't sound like it will be something fixed for a while.
Drespar said: As this issue primarily only affects games using the Charactermancer feature (which is implemented directly into a sheet) it does not cause the app to fail for those who are not running these specific sheets and systems. I never used or opened the Charactermancer feature either on the website or the iPad app.  I just logged into my game one day, opened up my sheet on my iPad and it was there.  Never had seen it before that.  My DM did setup our sheets for us, and I am pretty sure he did not use it either.  Thanks and keep up the hard work on this. :)
I own MToF, however none of the content appears as options in the Charactermancer. The marketplace says it allows for new character options, however none of these are present. This same issue exists for Volo's as well. This is frustrating, since I purchased MToF in part because of the expanded character options, but I still have to manually add all of this for my players during character creation. There needs to be some disclosure in the product descriptions stating that this is not yet supported, as it's currently misleading.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : Chris C.  said: Rolled up a sorcerer using the charactermancer.  The sorcerer 1st level class feature does not list on the character sheet, and is not reflected in my AC... though it does seem to add the +1 bonus hp...
Can a dev help me out? Pro member here and trying to figure out why my charactermancer looks buggy even when I select the roll20 5E sheet. Also it looks like the charactermancer has been updated because I joined a oneshot where I can choose things like human variant and different methods of ability choosing unlike mine. Any help would be great: mine vs yours
Dominick M. said: Can a dev help me out? Pro member here and trying to figure out why my charactermancer looks buggy even when I select the roll20 5E sheet. Also it looks like the charactermancer has been updated because I joined a oneshot where I can choose things like human variant and different methods of ability choosing unlike mine. Any help would be great: mine vs yours Not sure about the former error, but the additional content is because the creator of the game you joined has purchased the PHB through Roll20 and is sharing this product with you in the game.
Hi Dominick, What is the name of the game in which this is occurring? Dominick M. said: Can a dev help me out? Pro member here and trying to figure out why my charactermancer looks buggy even when I select the roll20 5E sheet. Also it looks like the charactermancer has been updated because I joined a oneshot where I can choose things like human variant and different methods of ability choosing unlike mine. Any help would be great: [...] mine vs yours
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere . Please note Stephanie B's statement above. Sterling P.  said: Hello I an having an issue with the roll20 app on my iPad, whenever I open the character sheet on any character this pop up box is blocking part of it making it unusuable, the buttons are all unresponsive when I press them the screen will go dark for a second then remains the same. I haven't seen any posts on this so far and my friend is using an iPad and experiencing the same issue  i have reinstalled the app and nothing changed as well
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : Mike H.  said: Curious if anyone else has seen this.  Tonight, I tried to recreate a character that I'd made offline in the CharacterMancer, but I seem to have uncovered a problem in the skill proficiency selections.   I chose Half-Elf, which right there allows me to make two skill proficiency selections.  I choose Investigation and Perception. Class selection - Rogue - and I get to choose four more skill proficiencies.  I select Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight.  I jump forward to Background and choose Criminal, so that I'm proficient in Deception and Stealth, before I step back to Class.  For my Rogue Expertise, I select Sleight of Hand and Stealth.   I step through all of the other tabs and make my selections there.  "Review" tab shows me no warnings about my choices.  I click "Apply Changes" and it generates my character sheet.... To find that all of my skill selections have taken, EXCEPT Sleight of Hand.  And since I chose that as an Expertise, I miss out on the bonus I get from that because you have to assign it to a skill for which you have proficiency. I SHOULD have a total of eight proficiencies - two from race, four from class, two from background.  I end up with seven. Vegemite Dangerous [DGG]  said: I just tested this on a new character and it doesn't seem to apply it Slight of Hand expertise or proficiency. 
I would also check that the animal handling skill is being handled appropriately. Most likely the issue has to do with sleight of hand and animal handling having a space in the name.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It looks like Animal Handling is working but Sleight of Hand is not. I ran into the same issue as Mike. I've put in a ticket to investigate further and to get a bug fix in. Thanks, Cassie
Any update on the fix for iOS App? I am stuck with the unresponsive buttons still :-/ Has anyone come up with a way to at least get out of the charactermancer?

Edited 1541689055
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere , where map part of issue was addressed: Eric G.  said: Just wondering what the use for an app like that. Trying to look maps, don’t work. Try to look a npc or character sheet, and stuck with charactomancer: Can’t close it.  Do you have an instruction post about how working with it?

Edited 1541800107
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone! We pushed an update this morning for the 5e OGL Sheet and Charactermancer. Notably, you can now add more than 4 things to a custom race, subrace, class, subclass, or background. Also, the charactermancer now has the branded styling available.  There is also now a "Bio" tab in the charactermancer. This info does  override your existing bio from your character sheet; we'll be updating the documentation on that shortly. The full release notes are here .
Good Afternoon: I was trying to use the Charactermancer this afternoon to create a new character for a game I DM. I got all the way through creation and clicked in the apply changes button - then got hung up.  I deleted and tried recreating the same character race / class / background type and had the same thing happen: All characters in this game use the standard 5e OGL Sheet Race is half elf, class if fighter, background is noble No custom selections I am using Firefox as my browser and the tool has worked well in all previous uses. I am running Windows 10 and again, have never had a problem with this tool before. It has been a while since I used it and I see that there was a recent update - not sure if something got out of whack or not. Name of the game is Tal'Dorei Before or After (copy) - the copy is from when I converted from a different character sheet to the 5e OGL - and as I stated previously, I haven't had an issue with the charactermancer since the conversion before now. Any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.
The discard/save/continue splash cannot be dismissed over the character sheet on iPad.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Joe, I copied your Tal'Dorei' game and was able to create a Noble Half Elf Fighter. I know its a bit tedious but could you provide me with your other starting options? Ability Score Method , Starting Wealth ...If the sheet is causing a time out somewhere then I'll need all the same inputs. :) Thanks, Cassie
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported Elsewhere : Cody B. &nbsp;said: Bug with the charactermancer allowing a selection of a class for sorcerer origin. If you select a normal origin. Close the creation (not cancel), and open it again. Then select the other origin and close once once again. When you open it the third time you get this <a href="https://i.imgur.com/rHtrwOn.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/rHtrwOn.png</a> Below is a partial image of a level 1 Sorcerer with a Paladin Origin that I created to see what would happen. <a href="https://i.imgur.com/KF8bgYM.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/KF8bgYM.png</a> Browser + Version &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; Chrome Version 70.0.3538.77 Browser Addons/Extensions &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ad blocker Operating System &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; Windows 8.1 Added these details in case they contribute to the bug.
Thanks to Keith for reposting the bug I found into this thread (didn't see it). I did some more testing after and It can be done with only one close/open. And I didn't mention it but, by selecting a class as an origin you get all class features and proficiencies on top of the base sorcerer class. Gif of how to get bug:&nbsp;<a href="http://bit.ly/2qJGkUP" rel="nofollow">http://bit.ly/2qJGkUP</a>

Edited 1542130061
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
&nbsp;hope this isn't a duplicate post, apologies if it is. I did take a look through the thread and didn't see this one. When you select Gladiator as your background option, there's an issue with the formatting when you scroll down to the equipment section: This error persists when you move the equipment tab and try to select your weapon: I have also noticed that the starting gold provided by your background no longer appears on your sheet (this is when you chose the starting equipment, I haven't tested for the starting gold option). When I create a new character with the charactermancer, the starting gold is always listed at 0, even if I should have gold as part of my background starting gear. (And the image loader is still hanging. It took me 4 attempts to post this!)
Hi, I'm stuck on "Building your character...". I'm trying to build a Dragonborn Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer. I'm using Firefox, cleared my cache, disabled all my browser add-ons. My GM can't save/apply changes.
Hiya Kirsty! I have submitted a ticket so the devs can have a closer look-- thank you! Hi LurkingCat, If you create a new character with the same settings does this still occur? LurkingCat said: Hi, I'm stuck on "Building your character...". I'm trying to build a Dragonborn Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer. I'm using Firefox, cleared my cache, disabled all my browser add-ons. My GM can't save/apply changes.&nbsp;