Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer (5e OGL) 1.0 Bug Report Thread

Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is in the Known Issues list. We're working on it, and it is a high priority item. Devon J. said: When opening any character sheet in the Roll20 app, charactermancer opens over top of everything and cannot be closed, making the app currently useless, for most purposes.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That's... very odd, and I can reproduce it. We'll add it to the backlog; it should have been in from the start. Desecrator 7 said: When adding a Custom subrace "Ability score increase" is not an option.  A lot of subraces have an ability score increase, such as the Eladrin, Sea Elf and Shadar-Kai from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.  I tried to use Other(custom) Proficiencies with Other and Charisma +1, but after the sheet was built it went away to another dimension.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Fussel said: Whenever I try to build a folk hero, it won't let me scroll down in the tool selection when it comes to equipment. Can you provide your OS and browser, and the console log, as described here ?

Edited 1533700911
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Moved from elsewhere : Eralune  said: Hey guys, I cannot seem to get Charactermancer to add my character. I've custom added the Air Genasi race and selected a Ranger build. Everything else is selected from listed options. On the Building Your Character page after clicking Apply Changes, the page gets stuck on Adding your Races/Applying change 2 out of 20. I have had my DM delete the character and re-inputted all the information; I've tried using Chrome and Safari on different days. I'd appreciate any help I can get it having this issue resolved so I can finally have a character sheet haha. Thanks!
Would it be possible to disable the charactermancer on the app until the character sheet issue is resolved...because it is currently the only reason I am paying for Roll20.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Justin C. said: Would it be possible to disable the charactermancer on the app until the character sheet issue is resolved...because it is currently the only reason I am paying for Roll20. Do you mean the mobile app issue, Justin, or something else?
I have been trying to post updates to my character last night and today and it gets caught up on subraces (3 of 24).  I can't get my changes to post.
Stephanie B. said: Justin C. said: Would it be possible to disable the charactermancer on the app until the character sheet issue is resolved...because it is currently the only reason I am paying for Roll20. Do you mean the mobile app issue, Justin, or something else? Sorry, yes the mobile app issue with the charactermancer showing up over already made character sheets.
Hey guys, I cannot seem to get Charactermancer to add my character. I've custom added the Air Genasi race and selected a Ranger build. Everything else is selected from listed options. On the Building Your Character page after clicking Apply Changes, the page gets stuck on Adding your Races/Applying change 2 out of 20. I have had my DM delete the character and re-inputted all the information; I've tried using Chrome and Safari on different days. I'd appreciate any help I can get it having this issue resolved so I can finally have a character sheet haha. Thanks!

Edited 1533971317
So after I purchase the 5E PHB from WOTC, you want me to purchase the 5E compendium for roll20 to use the information I already have access to?  Then not only that but I can't add in custom fields or items myself?  This is an epic fail.  Lucky me the community put out a sheet that doesn't cost me more money.

Edited 1534002416
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Posted elsewhere : Atanamar Sunyata  said: I searched around a bit and didn't see anything on this, but the D&D5E character sheet in the iPad app is pretty borked by the charactermancer. Any plans to sort that out?

Edited 1534003886
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Straph  said: So after I purchase the 5E PHB from WOTC, you want me to purchase the 5E compendium for roll20 to use the information I already have access to?  Then not only that but I can't add in custom fields or items myself?  This is an epic fail.  Lucky me the community put out a sheet that doesn't cost me more money. Hi Straph, Wizards of the Coast and Roll20 are two different sellers. Roll20 (like all other producers of licensed content) are bound by licensing deals. When you buy a physical book from a publisher, you are paying for the artists and creators who have spent an enormous amount of time and effort to create it. When you purchase that book in another format (particularly from another supplier), you are paying for the time and effort spent to adapt it into a format usable by the licensee and their users (in this case, Roll20 and the players and GMs who use it). Roll20 does provide complete official Compendium information (different from Players Handbook content) for free, even though that takes considerable time and effort to adapt for in-game use.
keithcurtis said: Straph  said: So after I purchase the 5E PHB from WOTC, you want me to purchase the 5E compendium for roll20 to use the information I already have access to?  Then not only that but I can't add in custom fields or items myself?  This is an epic fail.  Lucky me the community put out a sheet that doesn't cost me more money. Hi Straph, Wizards of the Coast and Roll20 are two different sellers. Roll20 (like all other producers of licensed content) are bound by licensing deals. When you buy a physical book from a publisher, you are paying for the artists and creators who have spent an enormous amount of time and effort to create it. When you purchase that book in another format (particularly from another supplier), you are paying for the time and effort spent to adapt it into a format usable by the licensee and their users (in this case, Roll20 and the players and GMs who use it). Roll20 does provide complete official Compendium information (different from Players Handbook content) for free, even though that takes considerable time and effort to adapt for in-game use. Hey keithcurtis, I understand that WOTC and roll20 are two different companies.  Don't patronize me.  Everyone wants their cut of the pie, and roll20 is no different.  That sucks for players who just wanna jump into a game with a good character sheet.  You're basically asking players to choose between buying all the products from you, or from the actual publisher.  While this makes sense from a adventure path where I'm paying for the content to be put into roll20 for me.  I just did that with Hordes of the Dragon Queen (great value) since I'll be running it on roll20.  It doesn't make sense for me to purchase rule books in order to get a character sheet to work, or to have access to them on roll20 while playing.  When I purchase a rule book I want access to it from any platform I choose at any time, not only on this site.  Then to top it off the price is about the same as the PHB.  So not only am I restricted from using the rules in any other plateform, I don't have access to all the rules.  If I wanted to play in person I'd have to launch roll20 just to use the rules.  This is an epic failure on roll20's part.  The worst part is that you don't include the basics of what is available as open source.  You made a gimped character sheet, that the basic DNDbeyond allows anyone that signs up to use.  No full backgrounds, missing spells, equipment, it's basically a blank slate.  Like here is an OGL character sheet that is missing anything you might need to actually play the game.  Doesn't even include the full SRD that is available online for free.  I can understand not using the stuff that isn't in the basic rules or SRD, but just 1 background, and missing items from classes, equipment, spells, races, and many others.  Like come on at least put some effort into the free version, and make it usable.  Lucky me I played with it for a while before the game started so the players wouldn't have to go through an epic failure of a character sheet during character creation.  If you're gonna do a OGL character sheet at least make the free version work.  Then add in all the extras for purchase.  Learn from dndbeyond it's a great free service, with the benefit of adding more content if the player so chooses.
Hi Straph, Roll20 does have a fully functioning OGL character sheet was well as an SRD for users who have not bought any supplemental materials. This is accessible in any game so long as the correct compendium is selected in the Game Settings page. The 5th Edition (OGL by Roll20) sheet will simply allow for D&amp;D styling so long as the creator has purchased. However, this does not alter any functionality outside of that offered by the supplemental materials. The altered and unaltered sheet both support Drag-and-Drop functionality as well as the Charactermancer (5E OGL). If this behavior is not what you have noticed in your games (no access to the SRD despite the correct option selected, etc.) then there is likely an underlying problem that we need to investigate further. If you have further concerns, please feel free to email us directly at <a href="mailto:Team@Roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@Roll20.net</a>

Edited 1534083771
Straph said: Hey keithcurtis, I understand that WOTC and roll20 are two different companies.&nbsp; Don't patronize me.&nbsp; Everyone wants their cut of the pie, and roll20 is no different.&nbsp; That sucks for players who just wanna jump into a game with a good character sheet.&nbsp; You're basically asking players to choose between buying all the products from you, or from the actual publisher.&nbsp; While this makes sense from a adventure path where I'm paying for the content to be put into roll20 for me.&nbsp; I just did that with Hordes of the Dragon Queen (great value) since I'll be running it on roll20.&nbsp; It doesn't make sense for me to purchase rule books in order to get a character sheet to work, or to have access to them on roll20 while playing.&nbsp; When I purchase a rule book I want access to it from any platform I choose at any time, not only on this site.&nbsp; Then to top it off the price is about the same as the PHB.&nbsp; So not only am I restricted from using the rules in any other plateform, I don't have access to all the rules.&nbsp; If I wanted to play in person I'd have to launch roll20 just to use the rules.&nbsp; This is an epic failure on roll20's part.&nbsp; The worst part is that you don't include the basics of what is available as open source.&nbsp; You made a gimped character sheet, that the basic DNDbeyond allows anyone that signs up to use.&nbsp; No full backgrounds, missing spells, equipment, it's basically a blank slate.&nbsp; Like here is an OGL character sheet that is missing anything you might need to actually play the game.&nbsp; Doesn't even include the full SRD that is available online for free.&nbsp; I can understand not using the stuff that isn't in the basic rules or SRD, but just 1 background, and missing items from classes, equipment, spells, races, and many others.&nbsp; Like come on at least put some effort into the free version, and make it usable.&nbsp; Lucky me I played with it for a while before the game started so the players wouldn't have to go through an epic failure of a character sheet during character creation.&nbsp; If you're gonna do a OGL character sheet at least make the free version work.&nbsp; Then add in all the extras for purchase.&nbsp; Learn from dndbeyond it's a great free service, with the benefit of adding more content if the player so chooses You realize, you don't need to buy anything from Roll20 to play D&amp;D 5e on Roll20 correct, as in it costs zero dollars? Where's the problem? Just because you want something for free for no apparent reason doesn't mean it has to be.
Hello, I am trying to use the character creator function, however I am stuck. On the mobile app I use on my iPad I can not click on any of the functions like cancel save or exit. (Please see below) Both of those icons are unresponsive. Also when I scroll down to the sheet maker portion it only gives me the custom choices, nothing else. I tried going on the website through chrome and safari on my iPad and that worked better until I got to choosing the skills part. It let me choose one, but I couldn’t click on any other skills.&nbsp; I do not have access to a computer so any help would be great with this issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Forgotten Prince, Sorry this is giving you problems. As you can probably see from some of the posts above, this is a recognized issue and is high priority.

Edited 1534216287
In step 4, Abilities, of the Charactermancer sheet, the only options are custom and choose. I cannot use any of the methods listed here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Charactermancer_(D%26D_Fifth_Edition)" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Charactermancer_(D%26D_Fifth_Edition)</a> &nbsp;to generate ability scores. If I select choose, the area where my choices should be is blank. If I select custom, then I can only manually enter in my stats. I thought I was supposed to be able to roll for this stuff?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is a known oddity, but enforced by licensing. Without the PHB, the Charactermancer can only reference things that are in the SRD. Believe it or not,&nbsp;there are no instructions for rolling for stats, or generating stats at all. (This was also a surprise to the Roll20 team!) So the only option we can offer in the Charactermancer is to allow you to roll for them outside of the character sheet, and then input them.
I ask again...can the charactermancer not just be disabled on the App until the issue with it showing up on already made sheets can be resolved?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Justin C. said: I ask again...can the charactermancer not just be disabled on the App until the issue with it showing up on already made sheets can be resolved? Justin, I understand your frustration-- it's frustrating for us, too! We have a dev actively working on this issue. In fact, right now the plan is to disable charactermancer in the mobile app, but the fix we put in didn't work. Rolling back to remove the charactermancer isn't practical, so our choices are to either let the developer keep trying to fix it, or do nothing. We appreciate both your passion for the platform, and your patience while we keep trying to fix things. I promise you, this bug isn't being ignored.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey, everyone! We just pushed an update that does the following for the charactermancer: Added some text to help guide you a little more through some of the less intuitive parts. Completing Charactermancer now has a progress bar and is much faster.
Stephanie B. said: Justin C. said: I ask again...can the charactermancer not just be disabled on the App until the issue with it showing up on already made sheets can be resolved? Justin, I understand your frustration-- it's frustrating for us, too! We have a dev actively working on this issue. In fact, right now the plan is to disable charactermancer in the mobile app, but the fix we put in didn't work. Rolling back to remove the charactermancer isn't practical, so our choices are to either let the developer keep trying to fix it, or do nothing. We appreciate both your passion for the platform, and your patience while we keep trying to fix things. I promise you, this bug isn't being ignored. Ah well, I understand. At least you address the issue and let people know what you are doing to attempt to fix it....unlike some companies that would just make us keep guessing at what they were doing.
The warlock class can pick any simple weapon for its starting equipment (with the guaranteed leather armor and two daggers); however, the charactermancer drop-down for this weapon only gives the option for Choose and Simple.

Edited 1534401873
Having an Issue where the charactermancer isn't applying the custom race and background I entered into it, nor any of the features they grant. Was working fine until recently.
Just wanted to post to say I'm also experiencing the issue with charactermancer dialog pop ups being stuck in front of my character sheet, can't close them out
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Moved from elsewhere : A J. &nbsp;said: I’ve tried pressing all of the buttons for this pop up, but it doesn’t close. (iPad mini 4)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Posted elsewhere : Devin H. &nbsp;said: I am having a similar issue and have attempted the recommended solutions with little luck (sometimes it generates a a properly statted character for random monsters). Wondering if I should wait for something to be fixed on roll20's end or if there's something I should be trying to do. Issue persists across all of my games best I can tell regardless of what I scripts or API I am using, though my main games use the 5e shaped.Dragging out the character from the compendium and then dragging out the same character into the drop field for said character generates stats but not actions / spells / etc. I am unable to duplicate this behavior. A second drop consistently adds a complete sheet. Full spells of course will not autopopulate, this is normal. If you wish to actually have the full spells on the sheet, you will need to either pull them in manually, or since you are a pro user you have access to the Shaped Script, which can expand spell lists into full spells. It sounds like you are trying this, but spells still do not pull in? If you are not getting at least a basic character sheet, let me know and I will see about escalating this. Please follow&nbsp; our guide to&nbsp; Solving Technical Issues , particularly Step 4. The console log really help! Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome&nbsp; and&nbsp; Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable&nbsp; all&nbsp; add-ons/extensions&nbsp; and&nbsp; anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache Most important in this case:&nbsp; Step 4 .&nbsp; (Don't forget the complete Console Log!)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : Harry R. &nbsp;said: Hello (if this posted twice apologies, the first time crashed while writing/pasting!) I made 3 characters (bard, ranger, fighter) last week with the charactermancer, all was well.&nbsp; on 8/21 I made a fighter.&nbsp; I noticed that none of the ability mods came up.&nbsp; I redid it;&nbsp; didn't help.&nbsp; Started from scratch;&nbsp; didn't help.&nbsp; I compared the sheet to one of the other characters, and noted that there were missing lines from the ability section (see below). I also noticed that there was an update yesterday? Your assistance would be appreciated.&nbsp; Harry
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi, Harry R. Have you checked the whole list to make sure the attributes are not there? They don't necessarily display in the same order from sheet to sheet.
Possibly done before but just in case. Disabling the charactermancer outside of the VTT and then trying to enable default settings through the in game settings selection has a massive typo. When the screen pops up that looks like this: Hovering over the check box says that checking it and applying will ENABLE the charactermancer once again. Where as the truth is that checking the box and applying settings DISABLES the charactermancer.&nbsp;
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Justin F. said (elsewhere): I am using chrome browser and I was using Charactermancer to generate for the 5E OGL sheet I believe. It asks specifically when you go to the background and choose custom for the Feature which is quite winded at times but doesn't add it to the sheet when completed, it disappears. So you have to go to the Features and add a feature and then do it again.

Edited 1535182868
Recently have been looking into the option on Character sheets and their defaults. On the 5E OGL I changed a few things to see how they worked, which it worked but now when trying to change it again it fails and I am now stuck with query whisper roll... I doubt it is something most people ever mess with but about to just delete the game altogether to get rid of it. Tried reloading multiple times. SOLVED it only stays on the characters that were made during the change or prior, creating new characters do not get the query and I just went in and manual changed it on the characters that were made.
keithcurtis said: Hi, Harry R. Have you checked the whole list to make sure the attributes are not there? They don't necessarily display in the same order from sheet to sheet. Yes, they are not there, and other things are missing as well (the list is about 1/3rd shorter. I developed a work-around: copied one of the intact character sheets, and overwrote it, sans charactermancer.&nbsp; It would be nice with future new characters if it worked again.&nbsp;&nbsp; Harry
When Custom creating a custom race it ask for you to enter traits, again typed some long winded information about the racial traits and just like the custom background the traits don't go on the final character sheet they just disappear. It seems many of the issues I am running into is the transfer of information from the custom options onto the actual character sheet. I really don't mind having to manually put in the information after creating the sheet just frustrating to have to make the full sheet before finding out. I think it would be best to just remove the fields during creation altogether and just leave the option of adding after completion.
Has the ipad issue been fixed? I can’t close charactermancer still
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
No, it hasn't been fixed. Thanks for checking in. When the mobile app issues are fixed, I'll post a comment on this thread, update the Known Issues, put it in the release notes (in the Announcements thread), and probably set off fireworks from my house. Josiah W. said: Has the ipad issue been fixed? I can’t close charactermancer still
Update on my previous issue. Cleaning things up in chrome helped a lot, though strangely the issue now exclusively persists only with MToF and no longer effects MM and ToB monsters. Same result in firefox. Generates a MToF stat block with AC, stats, movement etc. but no abilities / actions / unexpanded spells. I am using shaped sheet/API and perhaps messed something up on that end but had no issues till charactermancer. Also last time I posted I couldn't even generate a statblock in a brand new game using the OGL sheet, now I can including MToF, leading me to believe I have messed up somewhere with my shaped sheet, though as of posting I am up to date with the current stable version and the sheet worked fine with MToF in the recent past for me. I really think this is something on my end but felt the lone outstander of MToF not working was worth mentioning. 1. Drag out a MToF NPC ~ Generates a blank PC sheet 2. Drag out a MToF NPC into the blank PC sheet ~ Generates a statted character with no abilities / 30ish% of the time adds seemingly randomly selected actions. Browser: Chrome &amp; Firefox Chrome Version: 68.0.3440.106 OS: Windows 10 Javascript is enabled All browser extensions disabled
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for the update Devin. In order for our devs to have all the data they need, I'm going to need you to go through step 4 and post a log, particularly after a failure: Most important in this case:&nbsp; Step 4 .&nbsp; (Don't forget the complete Console Log!)

Edited 1536111956
When opening Charactermancer&nbsp; my character's attribute scores are all smashed together so as to make them unreadable while using it. I've reloaded and closed Chrome and reopened.&nbsp; No change.

Edited 1536184017
This isn't a huge bug, but I didn't see it posted on the thread. This dialogue box popped up when I created a new character sheet and went to the Character Sheet page on the latest version of Chrome. I don't think this has anything to do with the browser, but I don't have any relevant add-ons. My system is Windows 10. *directly, Mr. President Roll20
Hi&nbsp; Can the Roll20 team please give an update on the progress of the app/charactermancer bug? An ETA on resolution would be great. I am wondering whether to just switch to one of the alternative sheets, for which I assume this bug does not occur.&nbsp; Thanks
Hi Ethan, does this happen in every game you attempt to use the Charactermancer? Ethan B. said: When opening Charactermancer&nbsp; my character's attribute scores are all smashed together so as to make them unreadable while using it. I've reloaded and closed Chrome and reopened.&nbsp; No change.
This is actually a new change implemented in our latest code push. You can read more details here. Dave Z. said: This isn't a huge bug, but I didn't see it posted on the thread. This dialogue box popped up when I created a new character sheet and went to the Character Sheet page on the latest version of Chrome. I don't think this has anything to do with the browser, but I don't have any relevant add-ons. My system is Windows 10. *directly, Mr. President Roll20
Our most recent updates attempted to resolve the inability to close the pop-up window. However this was unsuccessful and we are still working on a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience! Matthew P. said: Hi&nbsp; Can the Roll20 team please give an update on the progress of the app/charactermancer bug? An ETA on resolution would be great. I am wondering whether to just switch to one of the alternative sheets, for which I assume this bug does not occur.&nbsp; Thanks
Drespar said: This is actually a new change implemented in our latest code push. You can read more details here. Dave Z. said: This isn't a huge bug, but I didn't see it posted on the thread. This dialogue box popped up when I created a new character sheet and went to the Character Sheet page on the latest version of Chrome. I don't think this has anything to do with the browser, but I don't have any relevant add-ons. My system is Windows 10. *directly, Mr. President Roll20 I believe Dave was trying to point out how Edit sheet directly &nbsp;is misspelled. Direclty should be directly.
Aye, I believe you would be correct. I missed the bottom bit :) The spelling error is known and will be getting fixed in the near future. Thank you for pointing that out! Kyle G. said: Drespar said: This is actually a new change implemented in our latest code push. You can read more details here. Dave Z. said: This isn't a huge bug, but I didn't see it posted on the thread. This dialogue box popped up when I created a new character sheet and went to the Character Sheet page on the latest version of Chrome. I don't think this has anything to do with the browser, but I don't have any relevant add-ons. My system is Windows 10. *directly, Mr. President Roll20 I believe Dave was trying to point out how Edit sheet directly &nbsp;is misspelled. Direclty should be directly.
Yes, every time. Drespar said: Hi Ethan, does this happen in every game you attempt to use the Charactermancer? Ethan B. said: When opening Charactermancer&nbsp; my character's attribute scores are all smashed together so as to make them unreadable while using it. I've reloaded and closed Chrome and reopened.&nbsp; No change.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Looks like the type of thing that can happen when your browser is zoomed (in my layman attempt at helping...), if you don't have your browser zoomed I'll step slowly back into the shadows and pretend I was never here... Ethan B. said: Yes, every time. Drespar said: Hi Ethan, does this happen in every game you attempt to use the Charactermancer? Ethan B. said: When opening Charactermancer&nbsp; my character's attribute scores are all smashed together so as to make them unreadable while using it. I've reloaded and closed Chrome and reopened.&nbsp; No change.

Edited 1536586090
Thanks Ziechael :) Sadly, that's not the case. I have opened this on no less than 4 different computers running Chrome, multiple characters, and new characters and I am always met with this problem :( Tried it on MS Edge as well, same issue. Ziechael said: Looks like the type of thing that can happen when your browser is zoomed (in my layman attempt at helping...), if you don't have your browser zoomed I'll step slowly back into the shadows and pretend I was never here... Ethan B. said: Yes, every time. Drespar said: Hi Ethan, does this happen in every game you attempt to use the Charactermancer? Ethan B. said: When opening Charactermancer&nbsp; my character's attribute scores are all smashed together so as to make them unreadable while using it. I've reloaded and closed Chrome and reopened.&nbsp; No change.