Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text Editor Update Bug Report Thread

Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
moster48 said: i removed the empty invisible box but this bug happen always when i edit a player table and keeping the cursor in a table and pressing cancel mouving the cursor somewere else out of a table before pressing cancel/save dont make the bug Thank you for the specific steps to reproduce. I will add this to our bug backlog for our devs to try and fix.
I was trying add links from journals to rollable tables useing the  !
 But it makes everything an external link instead of rolling in the chat like before. Not sure if this has been brought up or If anyone else is having issues.
Any news on when the macro will look normal in 4E games?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kalos said: Any news on when the macro will look normal in 4E games? One of the authors has submitted a fix and Roll20 is actively accepting them as a matter of urgency so I'd say... soon :)
keithcurtis said: I believe you can force a LF only by typing shift-return. That works but why does the .. what I can only call proper behaviour... get relegated to an awkward key combo? The question remains will it be fixed.... Also ... I am pretty sure that if you have a list and select it and make it a numbered list it used to number them all, now it numbers only the first.
Hello again.  Been doing a lot more work with the text editor this week and can confirm I now have both the color back and that the text editor size now presents at a comfortable size for editing and access to the tools up top. And I now have background coloring which wasn't available previously. So, thank you! I am seeing something which doesn't appear to be working well. Because the links in the text are indistinguishable from the text around it, I want to make it stand out. ( NOTE: when I mention "links", it's through using brackets to link to other existing handouts and character sheets, not through use of the "link" button in the tool bar. ) My first "go to" option is to simply change the color of the text and underscore it (a traditional way of presenting hyperlinks). But I'm finding that changing the color of the text of the link before I save will cause the brackets to not work as an actual link after save. I re-edit, remove the text color and the link works. I re-edit again to attempt to add color and it won't allow it. So something about the application of color to the text prevents the brackets from working as a link - or simply won't acknowledge the color after the fact. As a work around, I have found that changing the background color of the text doesn't affect the hyperlink capability, so I am able to use that currently. I am using Firefox, if that is a factor here. Thanks again for your help!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the feedback. Link formatting is something that will get fixed soon. It didn't pass testing in the last hot fix, but it's definitely on the list!  Jeff said: Hello again.  Been doing a lot more work with the text editor this week and can confirm I now have both the color back and that the text editor size now presents at a comfortable size for editing and access to the tools up top. And I now have background coloring which wasn't available previously. So, thank you! I am seeing something which doesn't appear to be working well. Because the links in the text are indistinguishable from the text around it, I want to make it stand out. ( NOTE: when I mention "links", it's through using brackets to link to other existing handouts and character sheets, not through use of the "link" button in the tool bar. ) My first "go to" option is to simply change the color of the text and underscore it (a traditional way of presenting hyperlinks). But I'm finding that changing the color of the text of the link before I save will cause the brackets to not work as an actual link after save. I re-edit, remove the text color and the link works. I re-edit again to attempt to add color and it won't allow it. So something about the application of color to the text prevents the brackets from working as a link - or simply won't acknowledge the color after the fact. As a work around, I have found that changing the background color of the text doesn't affect the hyperlink capability, so I am able to use that currently. I am using Firefox, if that is a factor here. Thanks again for your help!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm running into a small issue in the handout editor.  I've been creating a campaign (as a base to copy from) with a game long out of print.  Some I can copy/paste from pdf, and some things are typed in.  Before the update, the line spacing always stayed consistent no matter whether I was pasting in a large section, or hitting return to create room to insert a line.  Part of a class handout skill list before the update looks like this: The only thing off in this example is the link colors.  Once you get that sorted, this should look good. Since the update, hitting return uses a different spacing than when I paste in text, or type enough on one line that it automatically starts a new line.  After the update, attempting to do the same sort of handout looks like this: There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get the spacing back once it is like this. Obviously this is still usable.  It is kind of ugly though.  For what it is worth, this happens both in Firefox and Chrome.  I am using Ubuntu Linux OS.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As above, as a workaround, use Shift-return to replace carriage returns (end of a paragraph) with line feeds (just start a new line without starting a new paragraph)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jim W. said: keithcurtis said: I believe you can force a LF only by typing shift-return. That works but why does the .. what I can only call proper behaviour... get relegated to an awkward key combo? I only knew it because that's the way it works in a most other programs I use. Adobe Indesign (most Adobe products, in fact), Google docs, Word and so forth. It seems to be new behavior here, though.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: As above, as a workaround, use Shift-return to replace carriage returns (end of a paragraph) with line feeds (just start a new line without starting a new paragraph) Thanks, I missed that other exchange somehow.  I will keep that in mind going forward and gradually go back fixing stuff as I get the chance.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No worries. It's new behavior for the text editor.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I guess I should have asked...  Is this the default behavior from now on?  Nothing I do (so far) benefits from that change, so it makes things a little less convenient. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can't answer to that, but it does give more formatting opportunities. A carriage return (also called a paragraph return or hard return) inserts extra leading between it and the previous line. A linefeed (also called a soft return) does not. It's useful for showing short lists for one thing: The city itself is laid out on three islands and both banks near the mouth of the Ossean Seaway. The inner parts of the city are fairly well patrolled and safe, as are the Temple districts. The outer areas can be quite dangerous, particularly when one wanders onto an area heavily settled by traditional enemies. The major races were each able to claim territories in the city and its environs that would be nominally under their control, with all submitting to a ruling council. Thus in this area can be found representatives of most of the major  humanoid races. They do not co-exist in anything resembling harmony, but the city has managed to hang on to its existence by the virtue of the fact that all races find it expedient to have an “Open City” where diplomats can meet, or where peace or war can be declared. This means that matters of individual violence are often overlooked with a blind eye, with only larger infractions punished, usually by secret assassins or hired and unrecognized mercenaries. Races Represented by the Treaty Council Northern Humans (Albia), Lord Toric Ravenwood Southern Humans (Khemet) , Pharasat Tashtet Elves Dwarves Halflings Orcs, Warlord Garko Goblins, Kuja the Sly Drow, No set representative Duergar I do admit that this may be a very minor plus to most users. In the typesetting world, it is essential for managing things like paragraph-based styles. I also did not quote the above material, since the CSS for quoted style does not include paragraph spacing. I also noted that changing a CR to an LF automatically turns the immediately subsequent LF to a CR. Quirky, but manageable. Quoted material is from my own campaign guide.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think if I had been working with anything else, I wouldn't have noticed.  After looking over your example and working up some more handouts, I realized I have been running into that so much because I can't allow the text to fill to the right and auto-return to another line.  This is because I am copying out of a pdf book that has 2 columns per page, leaving the main body narrower than it would normally be.  This means that when I type something in, or add something in from another book, I am hitting the return key much more than one normally would just to keep the text somewhat the same width as what comes out of the pdf.  Well, that and inserting entries from other books into an alphabetical list. I probably won't notice or have any difficulty when I get done with this part of the project.  It is probably only a pain for someone doing something oddball like I am at the moment.
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I would prefer it if hitting enter didn't automatically insert a line break.
Tony R - I have asked earlier but no answer.  The OP now makes little sense as a whole....
+1 on rollable tables. I used to link all my treasure tables...
Not sure if this is a bug or more of a change in features, but I'm unable to resize inline images within the new text editor other than to the specified 100%, 50%, and 25%. We place character portraits inline within our Bios but now we can't make all the images a consistent size. Maybe add back the option for manual resizing? 
about the tables bug i dont know if its supposed to be fixed but for me the bug still here <a href="https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0</a> . its happen in google chrome firefox and opera os windows 10
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Rouven said: +1 on rollable tables. I used to link all my treasure tables... Can you be more specific? The table issues we've had reported were about table formatting. Alex N. said: Not sure if this is a bug or more of a change in features, but I'm unable to resize inline images within the new text editor other than to the specified 100%, 50%, and 25%. We place character portraits inline within our Bios but now we can't make all the images a consistent size. Maybe add back the option for manual resizing?&nbsp; Thanks for your feedback. The inline image sizing is a known issue; I'll add to the ticket that it also impacts the in-app editor. moster48 said: about the tables bug i dont know if its supposed to be fixed but for me the bug still here <a href="https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0</a> . its happen in google chrome firefox and opera os windows 10 This video is VERY HELPFUL. Thank you for posting it! I'll add it to our ticket for this issue.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
moster48 said: about the tables bug i dont know if its supposed to be fixed but for me the bug still here <a href="https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0</a> . its happen in google chrome firefox and opera os windows 10 Also, do you know if this happens with any of your other games?
Stephanie B. said: moster48 said: about the tables bug i dont know if its supposed to be fixed but for me the bug still here <a href="https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/DGqTIKpetq0</a> . its happen in google chrome firefox and opera os windows 10 Also, do you know if this happens with any of your other games? i tested in 2 other game a warhammer V2 game and an other one where im not the GM the bug always happen "note sometime the floating tool hide under the note i dont know how its happen"&nbsp; os windows 10 web browser chrome opera
Stephanie B. said: Rouven said: +1 on rollable tables. I used to link all my treasure tables... Can you be more specific? The table issues we've had reported were about table formatting. Yes, gladly. See, with the old text editor you could send text messages directly to a chat, even use rollable tables, just by using the right code in the link. A few examples: Instead of providing a link, e.g. <a href="http://www.google.com" rel="nofollow">www.google.com</a> &nbsp; you had to type !&amp;#13; in front of whatever it you wanted to say and it was the equivalent of entering text in the chat. !&amp;#13;/w gm Monster has the following treasure: [[1t[TreasureTableA]]] if I put this as a link somewhere in a monster description, everytime I click on it, the random generated treasure for that monster would be whispered to me and I could either copy it directly to the players or decide myself to make adjustments before telling them. !&amp;#13;/w gm The book title reads [[1t[RandomBookName]]]&nbsp; !&amp;#13;/w gm The patron's name is [[1t[RandomNPCName]]] !&amp;#13;/w gm The random encounter for this location is [[1t[RandomEncounterTable]]] This way it was possible to include rollable tables in any text without having to look for them or breaking your gameflow. Now, everything I put in the link gets parsed with an http:// at the beginning. This is a huge setback for me and probably a lot of other gamers. Here's a detailed description of what has been possible until recently: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA</a>

Edited 1530553472
Good evening everyone !&nbsp; First I would like to thank the staff and mods here for their quick responses and extensive work which is highly appreciable. I do not know if this issue is still ongoing for others, but I find myself unable to effectively recolor anything.&nbsp; I am using Google Chrome. Thanks and Cheers!
It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to remove links without deleting or backspacing the text.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Posting images with the new editor seems to have gotten very difficult. The first time I try to post an image to the forums, the editor typically freezes on the spinning loading animation and I have to reload the page then redo my forum post. Then, the second time it usually loads fine. Occasionally, I'll get an error that I can't upload the file and to make sure it is a .jpg, .png, or .gif on that first attempt, but not all the time. Also, moving images once they are in the editor seems to be impossible for me. In the old editor, you'd just drag it around to a new cursor position. With the new one, that doesn't seem to be possible leaving the only options as float right/left/none which has it's own issues (overflowing the bounds of the reply's box) as noted in the known issues. And finally, I've encountered an intermittent bug that I haven't chased down the replication steps for yet. While attempting to move an image around in a forum post today, I somehow resized the entire forum post resulting in the picture being located far to the right, essentially outside the editor box and untouchable), and the text being miniscule (2pt font maybe?), but still wrapping as if the editor box had shrunk with it (even though it hadn't). Browser/OS: Chrome&nbsp; 67.0.3396.87 &nbsp;MAC OS and Chrome (have to check version number) Win 10

Edited 1530628411
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Rouven said: Yes, gladly. See, with the old text editor you could send text messages directly to a chat, even use rollable tables, just by using the right code in the link. A few examples: Instead of providing a link, e.g. <a href="http://www.google.com" rel="nofollow">www.google.com</a> &nbsp; you had to type !&amp;#13; in front of whatever it you wanted to say and it was the equivalent of entering text in the chat. !&amp;#13;/w gm Monster has the following treasure: [[1t[TreasureTableA]]] if I put this as a link somewhere in a monster description, everytime I click on it, the random generated treasure for that monster would be whispered to me and I could either copy it directly to the players or decide myself to make adjustments before telling them. !&amp;#13;/w gm The book title reads [[1t[RandomBookName]]]&nbsp; !&amp;#13;/w gm The patron's name is [[1t[RandomNPCName]]] !&amp;#13;/w gm The random encounter for this location is [[1t[RandomEncounterTable]]] This way it was possible to include rollable tables in any text without having to look for them or breaking your gameflow. Now, everything I put in the link gets parsed with an http:// at the beginning. This is a huge setback for me and probably a lot of other gamers. Here's a detailed description of what has been possible until recently: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA</a> To add some clarification, this is the Journal Command Buttons feature.

Edited 1530629237
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, another set of bugs I've noticed, or maybe they're a feature that needs to be reexamined. When using the code formatting there's a couple things that happen. Hitting enter/return exits you from the code block. Previously, it would just add a new line and arrowing down would take you out of the code block. To add a new code line, you have to use shift-enter now. And somewhat related, copying a code block into a code block now creates a nested code block: &lt;div&gt;Some Code here&lt;/div&gt; Something that I want to say outside of code block Additional code example &lt;div&gt;Some Code here&lt;/div&gt;&lt;!-- That I've now repeated for demonstration purposes--&gt; These nested code blocks both look odd, and cause issues with editing a post. Once you have a nested code block, you can exit the nested code block by using shift-enter, but you can't exit the containing code block unless you already have normal text below it (you can arrow down to the normal text). This obviously causes issues with replying to API/sheet threads with code commentary/advice/questions. EDIT: Additional bug related to code blocks that I found while editing this post for some minor typos. While you can exit out of a code block by using shift-enter when you are first writing the post, when you go to edit a post, code blocks of any kind can only be exited if there is already normal text beneath them. This includes new code blocks that you add during the edit.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Scott C. said: While you can exit out of a code block by using shift-enter when you are first writing the post, when you go to edit a post, code blocks of any kind can only be exited if there is already normal text beneath them. This includes new code blocks that you add during the edit. This is also true of quote blocks.
keithcurtis said: Scott C. said: While you can exit out of a code block by using shift-enter when you are first writing the post, when you go to edit a post, code blocks of any kind can only be exited if there is already normal text beneath them. This includes new code blocks that you add during the edit. This is also true of quote blocks. This is not new.&nbsp; The fix is to copy all, delete, put some text in and re-paste the buffer at beginning of entry.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jim W. said: keithcurtis said: Scott C. said: While you can exit out of a code block by using shift-enter when you are first writing the post, when you go to edit a post, code blocks of any kind can only be exited if there is already normal text beneath them. This includes new code blocks that you add during the edit. This is also true of quote blocks. This is not new.&nbsp; The fix is to copy all, delete, put some text in and re-paste the buffer at beginning of entry. Hmm, didn't have that problem pre update.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jim W. &nbsp;said: This is not new.&nbsp; The fix is to copy all, delete, put some text in and re-paste the buffer at beginning of entry. Actually it is new, since the trick you suggest no longer works. It did before. Now when you have a post that is paragraph-styled, cutting the entire post removes the text but retains the style. The only trick I've found is to copy all text, reload the page, put a couple of returns into a response field and paste above that.
This GM notes change has effectively broken the game that I've been running for three years (and paying monthly fees for that entire time).&nbsp; I have been running a script called !CreatureGen that allows me to import stat blocks into the GM notes and create monsters in seconds.&nbsp; Now this change has broken the script and there's no way I have enough time to populate my campaign any other way(given a busy work schedule IRL).&nbsp; I would appreciate any advice or assurance that this is being resolved.&nbsp; Thank you
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi John, Creaturegen is a great script from all that I have heard, however I do have an alternative for you since I'm assuming you are playing Pathfinder and using the Neceros sheet. My PFCompanion script allows statblock importing (pure text) from the gmnotes(this feature is currently broken just like creaturegen's) or from a chat message(this is unaffected by the text editor changes). It also does quite a bit more to boot.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What exactly is broken about GMNotes at the moment? I havent had much chance to test my own scripts, so havent seen what happens with it.

Edited 1530647862
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The text fields in the character sheet, tokens, and handouts (note, this doesn't affect textfields defined in a custom character sheet) now return embedded html code along with the text instead of just plain text. This screws with just about every API script that uses these fields for anything since no one ever had to contend with stripping out unwanted html code.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
John F. said: This GM notes change has effectively broken the game that I've been running for three years (and paying monthly fees for that entire time).&nbsp; I have been running a script called !CreatureGen that allows me to import stat blocks into the GM notes and create monsters in seconds.&nbsp; Now this change has broken the script and there's no way I have enough time to populate my campaign any other way(given a busy work schedule IRL).&nbsp; I would appreciate any advice or assurance that this is being resolved.&nbsp; Thank you John, Thanks for your report. This is in the Known Issues, and it's a high priority to fix.
Scott C.&nbsp; Thanks for bringing your script to my attention.&nbsp; I had tried to use it before but didn't notice that it required other scripts in order to work.&nbsp; You're a life (campaign) saver!

Edited 1530662764
Silv
Pro
Har:91,000/105,000 Cass:91,000/105,000 Kat:91,000/105,000 Corvo:91,000/105,000 um i put no link in that ^^^^ as in it made a link when i hit enter after typing that out

Edited 1530692268
I'm sure this is probably already known about--and if it is, please tell me--but the post editor, either in my campaign forum or here in the Roll20 community forums, won't let me embed images in my posts or replies anymore. This is true in both Firefox for Mint and Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 Chrome and Firefox.&nbsp; Nor does it give me the option to wrap text to the left or right of an image like the old editor did. I assume this is being fixed? This is critical for me as I write detailed game session summaries as diary entries from the perspective of a character in a friend's campaign and the images really help to break up long walls of paragraphs.
keithcurtis said: Jim W. &nbsp;said: This is not new.&nbsp; The fix is to copy all, delete, put some text in and re-paste the buffer at beginning of entry. Actually it is new, since the trick you suggest no longer works. It did before. Now when you have a post that is paragraph-styled, cutting the entire post removes the text but retains the style. The only trick I've found is to copy all text, reload the page, put a couple of returns into a response field and paste above that. So that is at least two bugs that were never addressed and been made worse....
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
A few bugs I have noticed: All links in the text editor now default open in the same window as roll20 instead of defaulting to open in a new tab. Compendium links which would previously open the compendium inside roll20 don't and instead open in a new webpage (example: Clicking the link wolf used to bring this up when inside game. I also cannot edit links in the text editor anymore As Scott C and&nbsp;Rouven has mentioned Journal Command Buttons no longer work.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jim W. said: keithcurtis said: Jim W. &nbsp;said: This is not new.&nbsp; The fix is to copy all, delete, put some text in and re-paste the buffer at beginning of entry. Actually it is new, since the trick you suggest no longer works. It did before. Now when you have a post that is paragraph-styled, cutting the entire post removes the text but retains the style. The only trick I've found is to copy all text, reload the page, put a couple of returns into a response field and paste above that. So that is at least two bugs that were never addressed and been made worse.... Actually, instead of being negative, now is the time to bring it up with a good chance of getting it addressed. The Editor is a hot topic right now with regular fixes being applied.
Was getting this error when I posted a 'Story Chapter' from the edited down Chat Archive from my gaming session this week! b256124f59b742d9b63462fd7cf2b2a6 Also, there is the return of the action macros not showing in the chat archive again. So Thus, one can not see what weapon attacks were rolled and their results in the chat archive for example. All extensions were turned off in the chrome browser.
keithcurtis said: Actually, instead of being negative, now is the time to bring it up with a good chance of getting it addressed. The Editor is a hot topic right now with regular fixes being applied. I am still waiting on news as to whether some of the issues will be resolved, and just being realistic not negative.&nbsp; The latest fix seems to have fixed the link visibility issue, and the links are no longer active in edit mode, so that is good.&nbsp; The long list of buttons that bring up white text on black as the mouse passes over them are rather a nuisance, in the sheer number and this behaviour - but I guess that's something to live with rather than expect something to change.

Edited 1530743330
With the new update the need to Shift-Enter to get no blank line still outstanding. It is also (I think) causing two lines between paragraphs pasted in, meaning I have to adjust every paragraph in text that should be just paste and save! Will this be classed as a bug and fixed?

Edited 1530743822
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm pretty sure the Shift-Enter will not be classed as a bug, since it is genuinely a feature. The old behaviour, not inserting real carriage returns on Enter, was the cause of a lot of issues with text. If you ever backspaced, or deleted something, and found text behaving strangely, this is the reason why.&nbsp; There is odd behaviour on pasting text which does need to be fixed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As I said in an earlier post Enter for Paragraph Return vs. Shift Enter for Line Feed is also the behavior of many high end word processors and layout programs.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Adding some additional bugs related to the code block that I posted about above. If you copy a code block and paste it into the text editor and then try to add new lines in it, it creates a new section. If the new line is not the last line of the code block, then you wind up with a split code block while if it is the last line, you make a new line of normal text below the code block.