Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text Editor Update Bug Report Thread

Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order.
Cuddle said: Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order. +1 to please fix the turn order spacing
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: Any update on the process for the gmnotes/bio breaking API scripts? Should we authors change our scripts to handle the current html injection, or will it be reverted back to the previous method of returning raw text? We don't really know what's going on with the API scripts and GM Notes; I'd wait until we know for sure, although you could certainly change your scripts with the understanding you might need/want to revert it back later.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks Stephanie, I think I'll hold off for a bit on my scripts. It's a lot of coding to change that parsing.

Edited 1531852383
Kick
Pro
I did not see this on the front page of this thread where the known bugs are listed, so I just thought I'd report something that's been bugging me a little. Ever since the update, bullet point lists made at the top of a character's bio&info tab can overlap with the character's image, with the bullet points appearing as black dots on top of the image instead of indenting into the text area as they should. I'm using Google Chrome if that's relevant. Let me also use this opportunity to thank you guys over at Roll20 for being awesome! I use it all the time and subscribe whenever I have spare cash lying around. Seeing more updates rolling out is fantastic. EDIT: Wait do images fall under API? If so, this bug is already listed and this post can be safely deleted.

Edited 1531865657
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Images don't fall under the API. This is a separate issue. Thanks for reporting it!    And thanks for the support! Kick v. said: I did not see this on the front page of this thread where the known bugs are listed, so I just thought I'd report something that's been bugging me a little. Ever since the update, bullet point lists made at the top of a character's bio&info tab can overlap with the character's image, with the bullet points appearing as black dots on top of the image instead of indenting into the text area as they should. I'm using Google Chrome if that's relevant. Let me also use this opportunity to thank you guys over at Roll20 for being awesome! I use it all the time and subscribe whenever I have spare cash lying around. Seeing more updates rolling out is fantastic. EDIT: Wait do images fall under API? If so, this bug is already listed and this post can be safely deleted.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Cuddle said: Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order. This will be changed in next week's update. 
Okay, in Chrome my tables have no "resize boxes" on them, while in Firefox they do--however, no matter what I do, I cannot resize the tables to fit properly. I use tables to organize character information on the Bio & Info tab, but since the update tables are always too wide to fit beside the character portraits.

Edited 1532360651
I can see the image ( NOT table ) resize handles in both Chrome and Firefox on Windows but text wrapping around images--an essential feature for me--is still MIA.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Cuddle said: Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order. Thanks for the report. We released a fix for this issue today.
Stephanie B. said: Cuddle said: Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order. Thanks for the report. We released a fix for this issue today. Only this issue?
What's the changelog and current roadmap for this text editor update? What is going to be fixed from the known issues? What is the time needed for their fix? Are we going to have an option to rollback to the old one? A week for just one fix is quire frankly baffling. 
Michael I.
Pro
Sheet Author
Got back from vacation to find that The One Ring Character Sheet will no longer underline favored skills. I see that it still toggling correctly on the character sheet (by looking in the attributes and ability page) so this tells me that its no longer being displayed  correctly by the CSS } input[type="checkbox"][checked] + input[type="number"], input[type="checkbox"][checked] + input[type="text"], input[type="checkbox"][checked] + label {     text-decoration: underline; } however it looks like this is correct for html 5. the Character sheet author has been inactive a long time, and I have even posted in Character sheets Forum with 51 views but no comments in trying to find an update to fix this.  
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Only this issue for the text editor, yes. We have other text editor fixes slated for next week; this one was done early, so went into this week's hotfix. Rouven said: Stephanie B. said: Cuddle said: Why is the spacing suddenly so massive? Their used to be a lot less space between each character in the turn order. Thanks for the report. We released a fix for this issue today. Only this issue?

Edited 1532543174
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Ecnirp! The primary developer on the text editor stuff has other work to be done, so yes, this is the only fix that went out this week. We'll have more in the future. As a matter of policy, Roll20 doesn't announce what we're working on until it's ready, and I'm hesitant to promise anything that we can't be sure to deliver. We also don't post all of the bug fixes in the changelog, as that would make the document unwieldy. (Edit: That said, I have just posted the release notes for this week's release on the Announcements forum.)  We plan to fix as many of the known issues as we can. Not everything that users complain about is a bug, however. For example, the behavior of line breaks is as expected, it's just different from the old editor, which people had gotten used to. As stated above: there will never be an option to roll back to the old text editor. Thanks for your concern. I know you're passionate about how Roll20 works, and appreciate the support! Ecnirp Nairegina said: What's the changelog and current roadmap for this text editor update? What is going to be fixed from the known issues? What is the time needed for their fix? Are we going to have an option to rollback to the old one? A week for just one fix is quire frankly baffling. 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Moving text within a post Expected behavior: highlighted text can be moved to another position within the passage using drag/drop Current Behavior:    text is not moved, but rather copied to a position immediately after the highlighted text regardless of where you attempt to drop the text.
GenKitty said: James W. said (elsewhere): The tables that I used to make would be fit to contents, but now they're big and ugly.  Is there any way to get them to fit contents again? Could I possibly get a reply to this?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
James, Can you be more specific about "big and ugly"? Table columns currently resize to fit their contents; is that not happening for you? James W. said: GenKitty said: James W. said (elsewhere): The tables that I used to make would be fit to contents, but now they're big and ugly.  Is there any way to get them to fit contents again? Could I possibly get a reply to this?

Edited 1532782782
Stephanie B. said: We plan to fix as many of the known issues as we can. Not everything that users complain about is a bug, however. For example, the behavior of line breaks is as expected, it's just different from the old editor, which people had gotten used to. This is very disappointing as it is completely illogical and manifests itself in strange behaviour all the time (Not just when adding a 'title' and following line).  But thanks for actually stating this finally.  EDIT: Ok started dealing with some lists, and this issue is troubling me again.  If I press <enter> and paste from buffer I get a new number/list icon and a blank line, whereas if I use <shift-enter> it starts a further indentation.  So what is the correct way?  Maybe this is related to the bug I have seen reported, and experienced, that causes inserts to be mislocated on so many occasions?
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
On the line breaks issue, I'm assuming you guys are aware that this is platform-specific? I don't get the problem on Linux because my EOL character is a LF (as it should be!); but windows users see a different behaviour because of the whole CRLF nonsense. Just thought I'd point that in case it wasn't already obvious.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's not even that simple. There is a need for a different keystroke for CR and LF in most word processors and layout programs, controlling automated indents, paragraph-based styles, different linespacing for lists as opposed to paragraphs, and more. It might be a very different case for programming. From Roll20 I get the same experience I expect from Microsoft Word, Adobe Indesign, Quark Xpress, and many others. I don't think that Roll20 can come up with a one-size-fits-all solution.
Could the spacing maybe be done in a way that doesn't stretch the handout-length to twice its size? The way it is now (as shown above), it's a confusing mess. I don't know if this is a feature or known problem or new, but I cannot press enter while writing handouts these days. I waited for a couple of weeks if the problem would be fixed, but no luck thus far. No, I have to write and edit everything in a separate text program and copy the final text into the text box, hoping it won't screw it up. If this is somehow actually intentional, could we at least get to choose how we want the spacing to be?
keithcurtis said: It's not even that simple. There is a need for a different keystroke for CR and LF in most word processors and layout programs, controlling automated indents, paragraph-based styles, different linespacing for lists as opposed to paragraphs, and more. It might be a very different case for programming. From Roll20 I get the same experience I expect from Microsoft Word, Adobe Indesign, Quark Xpress, and many others. I don't think that Roll20 can come up with a one-size-fits-all solution. Line spacing hasn't been something I've been overly concerned with. But if feels like people just want both options. As Keith mentions, other word processing applications like Word for example give you a variety of options for controlling line spacing. I'm sure this is outside the scope of what they had changed and will most likely require a suggestion; but that also means potentially years before it gets anywhere.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Charles said: Could the spacing maybe be done in a way that doesn't stretch the handout-length to twice its size? The way it is now (as shown above), it's a confusing mess. I don't know if this is a feature or known problem or new, but I cannot press enter while writing handouts these days.  This particular behaviour probably wont be changed back. You can get the old spacing by typing SHIFT+ Enter at the end of lines, instead of Enter.
The problem I am still experiencing since the update is the abnormally long time it takes for images to upload into a post, if they ever do so at all. It was never an issue before the update, but now I have to stare at the spinning uploading graphic for what seems like forever. Sometimes the image never uploads at all, and I have to back out and try again.
When I used to make tables, they automatically shrunk the table down to the contents of the text.&nbsp; Now, the tables size according to the window.&nbsp;&nbsp; In green here is the extra space that would be unneeded:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/mWWN1oN.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/mWWN1oN.png</a> I bring this up because it used to be different.&nbsp; There isn't a change in functionality but it doesn't look at nice as it used to. Stephanie B. said: James, Can you be more specific about "big and ugly"? Table columns currently resize to fit their contents; is that not happening for you? James W. said: GenKitty said: James W. said (elsewhere): The tables that I used to make would be fit to contents, but now they're big and ugly.&nbsp; Is there any way to get them to fit contents again? Could I possibly get a reply to this?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I see a couple line items on the "Known Issues" list mentioning links.&nbsp;&nbsp; Links in handouts no longer open in a new tab/window. The Add Link dialog box automatically fills in with the text selected, and the "open in new window" checkbox is hidden until checked, and then misaligned. Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. I don't see the "open in new window" option at all.&nbsp; ;-( &nbsp; That fact that a clicked link loads right over roll20's vtt is unexpected and VERY disruptive.&nbsp; Please add back the option to "Open in new window". Thanks
Gold
Forum Champion
The text appears to go over-the-edge on the right-side margin in this Forum post: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6643348/new-map-set-instant-dungeon-crawl-shrunken-adventures" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6643348/new-map-set-instant-dungeon-crawl-shrunken-adventures</a>

Edited 1533180041
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vince said: I see a couple line items on the "Known Issues" list mentioning links.&nbsp;&nbsp; Links in handouts no longer open in a new tab/window. The Add Link dialog box automatically fills in with the text selected, and the "open in new window" checkbox is hidden until checked, and then misaligned. Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. I don't see the "open in new window" option at all.&nbsp; ;-( &nbsp; That fact that a clicked link loads right over roll20's vtt is unexpected and VERY disruptive.&nbsp; Please add back the option to "Open in new window". Thanks Should probably be a toggle to do "doesn't open in new window" with the new window/tab being the default. I'm actually having a difficult time coming up with a use case where you would want to not open in a new window.
Stephanie B. said: I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread! Please read it! Known Issues List: (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING) (Updated July 13, 2018) Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. Is there an ETA on a fix for this? Its pretty frustrating that I can't provide simple click and rolls to my players without them seeing the entire rollable table. Here's what I'm trying to do: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6644097/problem-adding-a-macro-to-a-handout" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6644097/problem-adding-a-macro-to-a-handout</a>

Edited 1533266537
I'm not sure what's considered a "very large forum post", but I have a thread in the forum where I post a table of XP updates after each session.&nbsp; It's now at 42 x 5 rows, mostly just numbers, so I don't feel like this would hit any limit unless it's something to do with it being a table (html size?). The first post in the thread is the table, which I edit each week to add in the latest session.&nbsp; Before the update, I'd select the table and copy/paste the new table into its place.&nbsp; This still works, but upon saving, the table isn't actually updated.&nbsp; Thankfully, the new editor is better with tables and I've had no problem manually adding a new row and adding the numbers, which then updates on save, but for some reason a copy/paste doesn't seem to trigger the 'dirty' flag or something, maybe? I also put a graph of current experience after the session as a new post in the thread in order to 'bump' it and let my players know it's been updated.&nbsp; Since we've now reached 38 sessions and there were a few other posts in there, it's become paginated.&nbsp; I decided maybe I'd try creating a completely new thread called 'Party Experience 2', but I ended up getting errors when trying to save. I'm copy/pasting a table from Numbers on OSX. The table looks fine in the editor, but I got an error hash multiple times before giving up: cd0e31976f32468e81680c74d360823c 8724b8c3cb5f4c409c345f749cac6361 f770642925ae40f285c307e663b3098b 47f08da5187c44caa17c081b2fa8b089
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: Vince said: I see a couple line items on the "Known Issues" list mentioning links.&nbsp;&nbsp; Links in handouts no longer open in a new tab/window. The Add Link dialog box automatically fills in with the text selected, and the "open in new window" checkbox is hidden until checked, and then misaligned. Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. I don't see the "open in new window" option at all.&nbsp; ;-( &nbsp; That fact that a clicked link loads right over roll20's vtt is unexpected and VERY disruptive.&nbsp; Please add back the option to "Open in new window". Thanks Should probably be a toggle to do "doesn't open in new window" with the new window/tab being the default. I'm actually having a difficult time coming up with a use case where you would want to not open in a new window. Previously, linking to a compendium entry would open as a form in the current window, just as if you had clicked on the entry in the compendium search. It wasn't a new window, but it didn't kick you out of the game.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian C. said: Previously, linking to a compendium entry would open as a form in the current window, just as if you had clicked on the entry in the compendium search. It wasn't a new window, but it didn't kick you out of the game. I believe that handout-to-handout and compendium links acted this way, while external links automatically gave a warning when clicked that you were about to open a new tab to another site. The play window was never "hi-jacked". It would be nice to at least get the previous behavior back. An option to force a link to "Open in new window" would also be nice.&nbsp; I do see this option when using the forum editor to add a link(although it does have a listed known issue as well...), but not on the handouts editor.&nbsp; ;-(

Edited 1533309840
Vince said: Brian C. said: Previously, linking to a compendium entry would open as a form in the current window, just as if you had clicked on the entry in the compendium search. It wasn't a new window, but it didn't kick you out of the game. I believe that handout-to-handout and compendium links acted this way, while external links automatically gave a warning when clicked that you were about to open a new tab to another site. The play window was never "hi-jacked". It would be nice to at least get the previous behavior back. An option to force a link to "Open in new window" would also be nice.&nbsp; I do see this option when using the forum editor to add a link(although it does have a listed known issue as well...), but not on the handouts editor.&nbsp; ;-( This worked for handout, characters and compendium entries. Sorry, I misread this, this always worked where it opened in it's own pop-up window. That's what I'm looking for, pop open windows again.
Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp;
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp; I currently only experience issues when dragging/dropping images to upload. Using the 'add picture' option in the toolbar and selecting an image using the dialogue has so far given me 100% success, I'm sure you've tried both but just wanting to give you... hope...?
Ziechael said: Ravenknight said: Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp; I currently only experience issues when dragging/dropping images to upload. Using the 'add picture' option in the toolbar and selecting an image using the dialogue has so far given me 100% success, I'm sure you've tried both but just wanting to give you... hope...? Nah, I'm only getting it right 50% of the time using both methods. Not a big problem. But that spinning blue wheel is so fricking annoying. :D
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: But that spinning blue wheel is so fricking annoying. :D +1
Ravenknight said: Nah, I'm only getting it right 50% of the time using both methods. Not a big problem. But that spinning blue wheel is so fricking annoying. :D This has been my experience too, it only works roughly half the time.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
HaMasteR said (elsewhere): I'm using the latest version of chrome, I've disabled Adblock (my only extension), and I've cleared my cache and the following problem has continued to exist for ~1+ month(s). Every week for the past year, I've posted memes or funny comic strips to my games forum before every game for my players. For the past month or two, The pictures haven't been uploading correctly. I get a continuous loading circle, and the picture does not post. If i don't get that, i get a "grayed" out text box and am unable to do anything unless i refresh the screen. I have to make multiple attempts to upload the picture. Once and awhile it will upload, but ive resorted to uploading them in a Google Doc and then posting the link in the forum. Once in awhile i'm able to get them to upload into a "reply" to the forum post, but even then i often get the infinite loading circle. I am unsure as of what to do, as this has become a major annoyance to me. Thank you to anyone who is able to help or contribute to this post. I will attempt to upload the pictures to this forum. Edit 1: I was able to upload one single picture before the infinite loading circle.

Edited 1533560503
I regularly have issues adding images to forum posts. 75% of the time they fail and it just hangs. I then save my post, go back and try again. Usually around the 4th or 5th try the image will upload. This happens for every single image I add to a post. So 5 images, means 25 attempts. Ziechael said: Ravenknight said: Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp; I currently only experience issues when dragging/dropping images to upload. Using the 'add picture' option in the toolbar and selecting an image using the dialogue has so far given me 100% success, I'm sure you've tried both but just wanting to give you... hope...?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : Renee S. &nbsp;said: Hello! I searched before posting, but didn't find this topic - at least not about this hyperlink behavior. If I missed it somehow or am in wrong forum, let me know. When I make new hyperlink, or use old hyperlinks in campaigns whether in journals, tokens, handouts etc. they open in Roll20 and disrupt my game. I don't mean ones intended for chat window or links within the campaign; this is an issue with any outside links such as to a wiki, image, article, webpage etc. I'm pretty sure for some time they opened in new tabs as default. Did I miss something (possible) and need to hit a switch someplace to make this default behavior in campaigns? I find this is happening with either Chrome (Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and Firefox (61.0.1 (64-bit)) for me. I am a Pro level subscriber and use a Mac. Thanks for any guidance!
Stephanie B. said: Only this issue for the text editor, yes. We have other text editor fixes slated for next week; this one was done early, so went into this week's hotfix. So, um...any news on that?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, there! The Release Notes are posted every release in the Announcements forum . Hopefully the two big bug fixes we have in the pipeline right now will pass QA and make everyone happy next week. Sometimes fixes to the text editor go out mid-week, though that's uncommon. We will continue to whittle down these issues as going forward. Thanks for following up! Rouven said: Stephanie B. said: Only this issue for the text editor, yes. We have other text editor fixes slated for next week; this one was done early, so went into this week's hotfix. So, um...any news on that?
keithcurtis said: Reported elsewhere : Renee S. &nbsp;said: Hello! I searched before posting, but didn't find this topic - at least not about this hyperlink behavior. If I missed it somehow or am in wrong forum, let me know. When I make new hyperlink, or use old hyperlinks in campaigns whether in journals, tokens, handouts etc. they open in Roll20 and disrupt my game. I don't mean ones intended for chat window or links within the campaign; this is an issue with any outside links such as to a wiki, image, article, webpage etc. I'm pretty sure for some time they opened in new tabs as default. Did I miss something (possible) and need to hit a switch someplace to make this default behavior in campaigns? I find this is happening with either Chrome (Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and Firefox (61.0.1 (64-bit)) for me. I am a Pro level subscriber and use a Mac. Thanks for any guidance! Thank you for info and topic move Keith!&nbsp; (Sorry I missed finding this thread to post about it).
Ravenknight said: Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp; 9 days ago. No response. Ziechael said: Ravenknight said: But that spinning blue wheel is so fricking annoying. :D +1 +1
Phnord Prephect said: Ravenknight said: Is the inability to post pictures in the forum part going to be fixed soon? It's a real annoyance.&nbsp; 9 days ago. No response. Ziechael said: Ravenknight said: But that spinning blue wheel is so fricking annoying. :D +1 +1 Went to post meme of thumbs up on this post, but upload failed.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone!&nbsp; We just pushed some code live that fixes the following issues: Links now open in a new tab instead of in the same tab/window! When you have floating elements in a forum post, it no longer breaks the following text (it's part of the image wrapping issue.) The permalink from the last forum post on a page now goes to that post, rather than the next page.
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the updates! Links to the compendium have been fixed as well; that's good very good news for my players. Would it be possible to change it so when creating a link, the text area under "To what link should this go?" defaults to blank instead of copying the "Text to Display"? Its a very minor issue, but I think it would be a nice quality of life change.&nbsp;
Tony R. said: Thanks for the updates! Links to the compendium have been fixed as well; that's good very good news for my players. Would it be possible to change it so when creating a link, the text area under "To what link should this go?" defaults to blank instead of copying the "Text to Display"? Its a very minor issue, but I think it would be a nice quality of life change.&nbsp; I've found this to be a little annoying myself. Constantly have to ctrl+a then I can paste.