Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text Editor Update Bug Report Thread

Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I've run into a quirky little error. When I copied and pasted a line of text from the attributes section of the Monster Manual compendium, the beginning of the sentence was off the edge of the text editor. This is 100% repeatable when you copy a line of text from anything in the attributes section of the compendium.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've seen this behaviour too, when copying from a formatted block in one post to a formatted block in another post. I cant remember exactly 3what the formats were, but I had to deleted the entire post and start over to fix it.
Links with the new text editor are prepended with http://, preventing me from using any journal command buttons.

Edited 1530848376
Stephanie B. said: Lucas M. said: Hi everybody. I´m having problems with lists (ordered or not). I just can´t insert any subitem. The "tab" button doesn´t work anymore. Is it possible with the new version of the text editor? Lucas, To make a sub-item in the new text editor, use the little paragraph styling drop-down that's next to the list button and click the paragraph indent button. I know this works from inside games (such as in handouts), but I also know it is a little wonky outside of the app (such as in forums). And the dev who is best able to fix it is offline today, so we won't get a fix in for the forums right away. Hi Stephanie Thanks for answering my doubt, but I´m still having a small problem with sub-items, even in handouts and other texts written in my games. Although I can now create sub-items in my notes, the hot keys indicated by the editor are not working well, at least for me. When I press "CTRL+]", nothing happens, and the "CTRL+[" is doing the opposite action indicated by the editor.

Edited 1530891683
Hi all. In my game we post character introductions in a game forum thread, with accompanying images. I'm finding now that when I upload an image, I no longer have the ability to drag it into place within the post's text, resize, or open the pop-up menu (which used to be accessed by clicking an image, and then the subsequent "Edit" button which appeared) which would set alignment, including a text wrap. I'm using an up-to-date version of Chrome, for reference. I'm very happy with the new stylistic support forum posts have, but a complete loss of image placement tools within forum posts is complicating my use of them. I saw in the known bugs at the beginning of this thread the issue with no text wrap on larger images has been identified, but any word on when the image adjustment pop-up menu might be coming back, or other basic image placement tools for forum posts? If i missed a fix or explanation post in this thread I'd be happy for a link, I just haven't had time to read everything. Thanks! EDIT: Or if anyone knows if there is/will be an option to switch to HTML from the Rich Text Editor, that would solve my problem too, because I could format in there. Thanks again!
Gold
Forum Champion
Same question.Like Nikomedes said, I haven't been able to find the Text Wrap settings for Images in posts yet either. I have dozens of posts with Text Wrapping around images (Left or Right) from the old Text Editor. How do we text-wrap images in a post with the new text editor? Nikomedes said:  I no longer have the ability to drag it into place within the post's text, resize, or open the pop-up menu (which used to be accessed by clicking an image, and then the subsequent "Edit" button which appeared) which would set alignment, including a text wrap.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey, thanks everyone for your feedback on the image issues in particular. I can definitely recreate some of these, and am collecting these for the devs to work on.
Not seen this mentioned, as I recall.  Start a new private message, enter title.  Unable to see the message box, although can tab into it it remains invisible  Box cannot be resized either...
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Ağa IX said (elsewhere): The new character editor is pretty cool -- much better rich text features. However, it's missing one function that was previously available: The new editor can no longer align images. In the past, you could set an image alignment by right-clicking on it. Please bring this function back! :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The image uploading process has become very painful to use. The failure rate is very high, both with drag and drop from the desktop and with clicking the upload button and choosing a file. This leads to a hung window—the spinning cursor will not stop, the process cannot be cancelled and the post is lost. I know several people have reported this, but here is another data point, with console logs. The log directly after an image drag and drop, but before a required page refresh: JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed with logging active, version 3.0.0 v2.js?1530633291:31 JQMIGRATE: 'ready' event is deprecated n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 v2.js?1530633291:31 console.trace n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 v2.js?1530633291:31 JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.bind() is deprecated n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 v2.js?1530633291:31 console.trace n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 The log after a forced page refresh: JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed with logging active, version 3.0.0 v2.js?1530633291:31 JQMIGRATE: 'ready' event is deprecated n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 setup @ v2.js?1530633291:31 add @ v2.js?1530633291:25 (anonymous) @ v2.js?1530633291:24 each @ v2.js?1530633291:24 each @ v2.js?1530633291:24 E @ v2.js?1530633291:24 on @ v2.js?1530633291:25 (anonymous) @ text-editor-update-bug-report-thread:954 v2.js?1530633291:31 console.trace n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 setup @ v2.js?1530633291:31 add @ v2.js?1530633291:25 (anonymous) @ v2.js?1530633291:24 each @ v2.js?1530633291:24 each @ v2.js?1530633291:24 E @ v2.js?1530633291:24 on @ v2.js?1530633291:25 (anonymous) @ text-editor-update-bug-report-thread:954 v2.js?1530633291:31 JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.bind() is deprecated n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 bind @ v2.js?1530633291:31 (anonymous) @ browse.js?1530046256:603 h @ v2.js?1530633291:25 d @ v2.js?1530633291:25 setTimeout (async) (anonymous) @ v2.js?1530633291:25 u @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fireWith @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fire @ v2.js?1530633291:25 u @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fireWith @ v2.js?1530633291:25 ready @ v2.js?1530633291:25 d @ v2.js?1530633291:24 v2.js?1530633291:31 console.trace n @ v2.js?1530633291:31 bind @ v2.js?1530633291:31 (anonymous) @ browse.js?1530046256:603 h @ v2.js?1530633291:25 d @ v2.js?1530633291:25 setTimeout (async) (anonymous) @ v2.js?1530633291:25 u @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fireWith @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fire @ v2.js?1530633291:25 u @ v2.js?1530633291:25 fireWith @ v2.js?1530633291:25 ready @ v2.js?1530633291:25 d @ v2.js?1530633291:24 OS is Mac OS X Browser is Chrome, no extensions running.

Edited 1530957784
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Tony R. said: A few bugs I have noticed: All links in the text editor now default open in the same window as roll20 instead of defaulting to open in a new tab. Compendium links which would previously open the compendium inside roll20 don't and instead open in a new webpage (example: Clicking the link wolf used to bring this up when inside game. I also cannot edit links in the text editor anymore As Scott C and Rouven has mentioned Journal Command Buttons no longer work. (Emphasis Added) I did not see this issue addressed yet by the devs in this thread, but this issue is biting me as well. I am putting together the second adventure of War of the Burning Sky , and I link all SRD spells and items mentioned in the text into the compendium. Previously, clicking a link would open up a floating window (the same as if the item was clicked in the compendium). Now, not only do the links I am working on kick the GM out of the game, but the compendium links in already released add-ons do the same, affecting people who have already purchased previous adventures. What should I do here? Do I keep linking the compendium entries with the confidence that the previous behavior will be restored? Was this behavior I should never have exploited and need to remove the links from all of my products and push updates? Is there some magic character I can place at the beginning of the URL (similar to how to send rolls from a handout to the chat window)?
keithcurtis said: The image uploading process has become very painful to use. The failure rate is very high, both with drag and drop from the desktop and with clicking the upload button and choosing a file. This leads to a hung window—the spinning cursor will not stop, the process cannot be cancelled and the post is lost. I know several people have reported this, but here is another data point, with console logs. I don't have console logs but I want to report the same problem. I am unable to upload images from my local machine to posts in my campaign forum posts at all now. Not at all. I've had a few rare successes two weeks prior, shortly after the forum editor update but, even then I had no means to set text wrapping around the images in question and, it was very, very  slow even with images under 10 KB. Now it doesn't work at all. This is true in Firefox on Mint/Ubuntu  and Chrome on Windows so, I have to assume this is a server side problem.  
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
If you grab the top-left corner of a handout in edit mode and drag it past the upper end of the browser window, it scrolls the Save and Cancel buttons off the bottom of the handout, stopping it from being saved.

Edited 1530972383
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian C. said: If you grab the top-left corner of a handout in edit mode and drag it past the upper end of the browser window, it scrolls the Save and Cancel buttons off the bottom of the handout, stopping it from being saved. That's an oldy, but a goody. And hopefully something that gets fixed now with the foxxus on the text editor. I'll add to this as semi related to this old bug that large entries in the rollable table editor cause similar behavior.

Edited 1530989114
I have never reported a bug before, so not sure if this is the place. Tonight, after playing last time, two weeks ago (My game runs twice a week). . The Star Trek Adventures sheets I am using for the players seemed to have alignment a little bit off, specifically the text seems smaller, and the roll buttons for task rolls are misaligned.  Sometimes rolling too many dice, or only the GMs rolls are accurate. I am not that good of a coder yet, but I am willing to try and lend a hand to anyone else that is working on this. if not, I will take a stab at it myself, if I can get reports as to the right direction to look for the specific code.  

Edited 1531109380
It seems the default template has lost the formatting in the title section (defined by the {{name=}}). It used to be bold and centered, now it's just regular, left-aligned text. I've found I can use markdown formatting to at least make it bold if I want, but I'm not aware of any similar way to get center-aligned text, which is what I'd really like most to have back.
Stephanie B. said: Hey, thanks everyone for your feedback on the image issues in particular. I can definitely recreate some of these, and am collecting these for the devs to work on. Is there any estimation when those bugs will be fixed? Especially the ones that have no workaround?
Mr. Farlops said: I'm sure this is probably already known about--and if it is, please tell me--but the post editor, either in my campaign forum or here in the Roll20 community forums, won't let me embed images in my posts or replies anymore. This is true in both Firefox for Mint and Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 Chrome and Firefox.  Nor does it give me the option to wrap text to the left or right of an image like the old editor did. I assume this is being fixed? This is critical for me as I write detailed game session summaries as diary entries from the perspective of a character in a friend's campaign and the images really help to break up long walls of paragraphs. +1 on this - I can add images to my post but can no longer choose to wrap text around them, or to justify them to the right of the text. It means my fancy looking campaign updates will just have to be a wall of text for the time being.
Hi Brian and Tony, I have made sure to append this into the existing ticket to make sure it is known! Brian C. said: Tony R. said: A few bugs I have noticed: All links in the text editor now default open in the same window as roll20 instead of defaulting to open in a new tab. Compendium links which would previously open the compendium inside roll20 don't and instead open in a new webpage (example: Clicking the link wolf used to bring this up when inside game. I also cannot edit links in the text editor anymore As Scott C and Rouven has mentioned Journal Command Buttons no longer work. (Emphasis Added) I did not see this issue addressed yet by the devs in this thread, but this issue is biting me as well. I am putting together the second adventure of War of the Burning Sky , and I link all SRD spells and items mentioned in the text into the compendium. Previously, clicking a link would open up a floating window (the same as if the item was clicked in the compendium). Now, not only do the links I am working on kick the GM out of the game, but the compendium links in already released add-ons do the same, affecting people who have already purchased previous adventures. What should I do here? Do I keep linking the compendium entries with the confidence that the previous behavior will be restored? Was this behavior I should never have exploited and need to remove the links from all of my products and push updates? Is there some magic character I can place at the beginning of the URL (similar to how to send rolls from a handout to the chat window)?

Edited 1531149332
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for looking into this, Drespar and Stephanie.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Hi Brian and Tony, I have made sure to append this into the existing ticket to make sure it is known! *snip* Many thanks. :)
I used to be able to link to Compendium entries and clicking those links would open a popup inside of Roll20. Now when I link to a compendium page, it instead navigates away from the Roll20 window within the same tab. This is using 5e Compendium, specifically linking to conditions / poisoned. Using Chrome in Windows 10.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jeremy said: I used to be able to link to Compendium entries and clicking those links would open a popup inside of Roll20. Now when I link to a compendium page, it instead navigates away from the Roll20 window within the same tab. This is using 5e Compendium, specifically linking to conditions / poisoned. Using Chrome in Windows 10. That is the one that Drespar just said they were adding to the trouble ticket.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Having an issue with line spacing now, especially on exiting Handouts. Before the update, when I type a line of text, or created a link, in a handout and hit enter the next line started very lose the line directly above it. After the update, when I do the same thing and hit enter, the line spacing has increased dramatically. Here is a screenshot Notice the line spacing between the first 5 entries, now I added 'Optional Wounding Rules in effect' after 'When is a Weapon Ready" and look at the new line spacing. I noticed the same thing  with the editor within the forum. Is there a way to either: Correct this back to the way it was before - OR- Allow to adjust the line spacing Thanks
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello, you just have to use shift + enter :)

Edited 1531336680
Sorry for posting here, but one of the problems I experience with internet explorer 11 is that I can't open new threads. :-( In short, I had no problems with internet explorer in forum posts until a few days ago. The new update didn't break anything for a few weeks but recently (as in ~10 days ago) things changed. I can't start new threads, I can't see dates, I can't access Private messages to name just a few of the problems. Why I use internet explorer 11 and not edge? Cause I like IE more and I am traditionalist. I resist change etc etc. I can use roll20 normally on chrome, but I would prefer if I could use IE for roll20, and not chrome. Please help if it is possible.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
alhoon P. said: Sorry for posting here, but one of the problems I experience with internet explorer 11 is that I can't open new threads. :-( In short, I had no problems with internet explorer in forum posts until a few days ago. The new update didn't break anything for a few weeks but recently (as in ~10 days ago) things changed. I can't start new threads, I can't see dates, I can't access Private messages to name just a few of the problems. Why I use internet explorer 11 and not edge? Cause I like IE more and I am traditionalist. I resist change etc etc. I can use roll20 normally on chrome, but I would prefer if I could use IE for roll20, and not chrome. Please help if it is possible. Chrome and Firefox are the only officially supported browsers for Roll20. If you don't want to use chrome, use firefox instead.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Reading through this thread, it seems that there are still some issues that need to be ironed out with the text editor...?   My personal peeve; please fix the loss of image alignment/float. Looks like the last update was 6/28.  Can we get an updated " Known issues List " at the top of the thread? Thanks
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes, please. Those were very helpful and encouraging.

Edited 1531387445
Miles said: Mr. Farlops said: This is critical for me as I write detailed game session summaries as diary entries from the perspective of a character in a friend's campaign and the images really help to break up long walls of paragraphs. +1 on this - I can add images to my post but can no longer choose to wrap text around them, or to justify them to the right of the text. It means my fancy looking campaign updates will just have to be a wall of text for the time being. Vince said: Reading through this thread, it seems that there are still some issues that need to be ironed out with the text editor...?   My personal peeve; please fix the loss of image alignment/float. Looks like the last update was 6/28.  Can we get an updated " Known issues List " at the top of the thread? Thanks I report that I am still unable to upload images and still unable to float/align images. I would also like to see and updated known issues list.
Havoc
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Anybody reported the indent problem with line breaks? Sometimes selecting style-Normal helps, but not always. We can't control the indent size any other way.
Rouven said: Stephanie B. said: Rouven said: +1 on rollable tables. I used to link all my treasure tables... Can you be more specific? The table issues we've had reported were about table formatting. Yes, gladly. See, with the old text editor you could send text messages directly to a chat, even use rollable tables, just by using the right code in the link. A few examples: Instead of providing a link, e.g. <a href="http://www.google.com" rel="nofollow">www.google.com</a> &nbsp; you had to type !&amp;#13; in front of whatever it you wanted to say and it was the equivalent of entering text in the chat. !&amp;#13;/w gm Monster has the following treasure: [[1t[TreasureTableA]]] if I put this as a link somewhere in a monster description, everytime I click on it, the random generated treasure for that monster would be whispered to me and I could either copy it directly to the players or decide myself to make adjustments before telling them. !&amp;#13;/w gm The book title reads [[1t[RandomBookName]]]&nbsp; !&amp;#13;/w gm The patron's name is [[1t[RandomNPCName]]] !&amp;#13;/w gm The random encounter for this location is [[1t[RandomEncounterTable]]] This way it was possible to include rollable tables in any text without having to look for them or breaking your gameflow. Now, everything I put in the link gets parsed with an http:// at the beginning. This is a huge setback for me and probably a lot of other gamers. Here's a detailed description of what has been possible until recently: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APlIZQEqjA</a> I'm setting up a new game, and this is causing some issues for me. The video mentioned here is mine actually. I use this functionality extensively to add rolls directly into the text of chat for traps and things like that. Now it's instead of rolling, it's leaving Roll20 and throwing a page not found in Google Chrome. Just want to make sure if this is going to be on the list of things to resolve? This doesn't appear to be on the main post of issues unless either of these two are referencing this. Links in text don't look like links. Links in the editor are clickable.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Pantoufle said: Hello, you just have to use shift + enter :) Thank you so much, that did it!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
James W. said (elsewhere): The tables that I used to make would be fit to contents, but now they're big and ugly.&nbsp; Is there any way to get them to fit contents again?

Edited 1531449804
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask about this, but how do I stop the text editor from putting spaces between each paragraph? This below is what I'm getting and I want to put it back how it was before: Example Of This
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Evan P. said: I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask about this, but how do I stop the text editor from putting spaces between each paragraph? This below is what I'm getting and I want to put it back how it was before: Example Of This Instead of hitting Enter at the end of the line, type SHIFT + Enter at the same time.&nbsp; This was an example. And another.
G G said: Evan P. said: I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask about this, but how do I stop the text editor from putting spaces between each paragraph? This below is what I'm getting and I want to put it back how it was before: Example Of This Instead of hitting Enter at the end of the line, type SHIFT + Enter at the same time.&nbsp; This was an example. And another. Thank you!
The image alignment/float is submitted as a bug and we actually discussed it just recently. As for the Known Issues List, we should have an update coming to that sometime soon :) Vince said: Reading through this thread, it seems that there are still some issues that need to be ironed out with the text editor...?&nbsp;&nbsp; My personal peeve; please fix the loss of image alignment/float. Looks like the last update was 6/28.&nbsp; Can we get an updated " Known issues List " at the top of the thread? Thanks

Edited 1531514132
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread! Please read it! Known Issues List: (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING) (Updated July 13, 2018) GM Notes text can break APIs Tall and wide images in forum posts don't wrap properly. Images cannot be aligned or have word wrapping set-- and the preview does not accurately reflect this. Chrome's spellcheck selects the misspelled word Character sheets: fonts appears very small. This is being fixed by character sheet authors individually.&nbsp; See this post for information . Code blocks can nest in odd ways and get the cursor stuck. Copy/pasting attributes from compendium entries aligns them too far to the left. Hotkeys in sub-items do not work correctly. In private messages, the formatting bar blocks the preview. The Add Link dialog box automatically fills in with the text selected, and the "open in new window" checkbox is hidden until checked, and then misaligned. Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. Achievement tooltip is showing raw HTML Very large forum posts cannot be edited (this is an old known issue and the new text editor will not fix this.)
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Stephanie, I'd like to add on to the Tall images wrapping issue. Wide images also don't wrap properly (this is particularly noticeable on mobile).
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks, Scott. I've updated the Known Issues list-- I had also missed a bunch of our issues (wrong filter!)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for the update.
Stephanie B. said: I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread! Please read it! Known Issues List: (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING) (Updated July 13, 2018) Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. Thank you for the update. Can you change the above to "Journal Command Buttons not working"? I think it is a more accurate description of the problem.

Edited 1531564823
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rouven said: Stephanie B. said: I've updated the Known Issues list at the top of this thread! Please read it! Known Issues List: (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING) (Updated July 13, 2018) Adding a link with the dialog box automatically adds&nbsp; http:// &nbsp;which is not always desired. Thank you for the update. Can you change the above to "Journal Command Buttons not working"? I think it is a more accurate description of the problem. Just a note: "not working" is less accurate than a description which states exactly what's happening. Bug &amp; Issues Lists need to include specific descriptions of what's wrong, and "not working" is just too vague. Even worse, "not working" is actually wrong , because the links do work - they just dont behave the way we want them to.
Previously the first line of a handout could start at the non-indented first character position.&nbsp; Now it is indented (if Bold at least).&nbsp; Title Details... Becomes:- &nbsp; Title Details... which is annoying.&nbsp; Not sure why becomes became a link... another fault? Having to Shift-Enter to get the correct line spacing is annoying, and worse when editing extra lines appear for no reason even when deleting rather than adding.. Do we Shift-delete as well... or live with this?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Any update on the process for the gmnotes/bio breaking API scripts? Should we authors change our scripts to handle the current html injection, or will it be reverted back to the previous method of returning raw text?
I personally cannot upload images at all to my campaign forums ever since the text editor update.

Edited 1531668267
I'm not sure where to report this but it seems it is related to the text editor update since I noticed this since then. When the chat is popped out, hovering over an inline roll or sheet roll displays weird (if it displays at all). This happens with either Chrome or Firefox. Edit: I was unable to attach/insert a picture of a screenshot using the picture tool in the toolbar but was able to drag it from the desktop into this post.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you look at your profile badges, on your profile page, you'll see the same html stuff in the popup. This is related to the same issue that is plaguing GM Notes: html codes are not being stripped from the text properly.&nbsp;
Stephanie B. said: John F. said: I hope that there is a fix soon for the GM notes breaking api scripts.&nbsp; I am no longer able to create monsters using the very handy script I've been using for years.&nbsp;&nbsp; It's a high priority bug, and we hope to get to it soon.&nbsp; Thanks for your feedback!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can we please get an update on this? Really would like to have it fixed soon. Looks like you hoped to get to it soon 16 days ago. I really don't want it to be another 16 days...