Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

Tested in 2 separate campaigns, the Roll20 player character sheets seem to be defaulting to Always Roll Damage, despite turning it off. Whenever the sheet reloads (closed or is popped out), it resets the setting.

Edited 1631317676
You need to apply the default setting after setting them. Under the cog table on the right bar (chat bar) at the bottom is a button to apply them. if your changing them from the game setting page.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is actually a recent bug that has been reported numerous times this preceding week, and is being investigated. You can follow progress or make reports here .
Don't know if this is the right place to ask and if this has been asked before (I did search though). I setup my character sheet to "Advantage toggle" and that works as expected. Same with "Always roll Advantage". Just not for Initiative. There is always only a normal roll. So my question: How can I roll for Initiative with Advantage from my Character sheet?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If the sheet doesn't have the function, you can always create a universal token macro (macro in collections tab, set for "All Players" and "Use as Token Action"): [[2d20kh1+@{selected|dex_bonus}+@{selected |init_bonus} &{tracker}]]
Thank's for that macro. It's not that the sheet does not "have the function" though. See: "Advantage" is activated. Rolling a skill from the sheet results in 2 dice rolled. Pressing "Initiative" here rolls one die - independent from the toggles directly above ...  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's what I meant by "if it doesn't have the function", i.e. if it does not have the function for initiative to respect the advantage toggle. I don't use the toggle, so I've never investigated. I think the reasoning is that attribute checks in general do not affect the game mechanically, so a lot of folks just like to always roll two rolls and pick the appropriate result. An initiative check goes to the tracker though, and cannot be easily subjected to this "choose the appropriate die" practice. So you need a custom macro. Upon checking, though, it looks like you can chose it on a per character basis in the settings. This is more of a set-and-forget method, rather than situational. I'm not sure what your need is, but it's on the settings tab of the PC sheet:
OK, understood. Strange, because to me it seems it must have been extra effort to make this work differently. I tried the other setting you mentioned and indeed the roll is then with advantage. But as you say this applies to all rolls and does not work on a case by case basis. I go with the macro. 
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} As Keith Curtis mentioned, characters can specify initiative advantage on an individual basis. The GM can make the initiative macro below available as a token action to take into account each character's setting by using the @{selected|initiative_style} property. I've tested it on an NPC (which doesn't have such a setting) and it still works as a normal initiative. / em @{selected|token_name} rolls a [[@{selected|initiative_style}+@{selected|initiative_bonus}&{tracker}]] for initiative! The GM can use the following modified command to indicate which NPC is rolling the initiative instead of just showing that the GM is rolling over and over. Note that the /emas command only works for the GM. / emas @{selected|token_name} rolls a [[@{selected|initiative_style}+@{selected|initiative_bonus}&{tracker}]] for initiative!
Hey folks, Just wanted to note that we pushed a patch that should resolve this issue. If you're still seeing any problems, please let us know. Thanks, Nic Nathan S. said: Tested in 2 separate campaigns, the Roll20 player character sheets seem to be defaulting to Always Roll Damage, despite turning it off. Whenever the sheet reloads (closed or is popped out), it resets the setting.
Dr. Fu Man Chu said: OK, understood. Strange, because to me it seems it must have been extra effort to make this work differently. I tried the other setting you mentioned and indeed the roll is then with advantage. But as you say this applies to all rolls and does not work on a case by case basis. I go with the macro.  The reason initiative has to be so different than the normal advantage/disadvantage rolls is because otherwise it would not work with the tracker. The tracker can't parse which result among multiple outputs to apply, so the workaround was found. Sure, there probably could be a better workaround, but I think the work they put into the sheet is commendable already. 
Can we get fields for immunities and resistances for the PC OGL sheet like we have for the NPCs (npc_immunities, npc_resistances, npc_vulnerabilities)? Maybe something like this mockup of the OGL sheet:   As my group has more and more of this I'm realizing that the spell and effect macros can take these immunities and resistances into account for NPCs, but not for Players.  Having a field on the sheet (and manipulated by ChatSetAttr) that we could query in a macro would be awesome. Examples of player resistance and immunity: Paladin and Druid are immune to Disease (although not that useful since spells and effects don't usually do disease) Druid is immune to Poison through Class Feature Many magic items, potions and spells give resistance
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If they are not made official attributes, you could create them on your own. A ChatSetAttr command run on selected PC tokens could process all of them at once.
I've poked around for an answer yet come up with nothing yet so... i've got a question: Using Roll20's D&D 5e Character Sheet, i've begun working on several NPC's. However i've come across an issue where i can't add Regional or Lair Actions nor have i found a way to activate these in Attributes & Abilities. What am i missing? Or need i some command to add in the Attributes & Abilities that i've just not found yet?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Matt M. said: Can we get fields for immunities and resistances for the PC OGL sheet like we have for the NPCs (npc_immunities, npc_resistances, npc_vulnerabilities)? Maybe something like this mockup of the OGL sheet:   As my group has more and more of this I'm realizing that the spell and effect macros can take these immunities and resistances into account for NPCs, but not for Players.  Having a field on the sheet (and manipulated by ChatSetAttr) that we could query in a macro would be awesome. Examples of player resistance and immunity: Paladin and Druid are immune to Disease (although not that useful since spells and effects don't usually do disease) Druid is immune to Poison through Class Feature Many magic items, potions and spells give resistance On the flip side of that, could the option be made to expose the tool proficiency section for NPCs as well? I have occasions crop up from time to time that require the NPC to make an ability check with a tool or custom skill proficiency.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Brian C. said: On the flip side of that, could the option be made to expose the tool proficiency section for NPCs as well? I have occasions crop up from time to time that require the NPC to make an ability check with a tool or custom skill proficiency. My guess is that that one would be a no-go, since the WotC statblock doesn't allow for it.
Is this what the trait section is for? It is where you normally find that information.   Matt M. said: Can we get fields for immunities and resistances for the PC OGL sheet like we have for the NPCs (npc_immunities, npc_resistances, npc_vulnerabilities)? Maybe something like this mockup of the OGL sheet:   As my group has more and more of this I'm realizing that the spell and effect macros can take these immunities and resistances into account for NPCs, but not for Players.  Having a field on the sheet (and manipulated by ChatSetAttr) that we could query in a macro would be awesome. Examples of player resistance and immunity: Paladin and Druid are immune to Disease (although not that useful since spells and effects don't usually do disease) Druid is immune to Poison through Class Feature Many magic items, potions and spells give resistance
No. The Features and Traits section will list Class, Racial or Feat abilities in text format.  I am asking for fields that can be manipulated and referenced by compendium items, scripts and macros.  Kilter said: Is this what the trait section is for? It is where you normally find that information.  
This is what I meant, you can do this in the trait section. It is already set to do all those, it is just a little more work than the NPC sheet.  Matt M. said: No. The Features and Traits section will list Class, Racial or Feat abilities in text format.  I am asking for fields that can be manipulated and referenced by compendium items, scripts and macros.  Kilter said: Is this what the trait section is for? It is where you normally find that information.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The advantage of what Matt is talking about would be the ability to call up @{playercharacter|immunities} and have it return a simple value that could be acted upon by scripts and macros, rather than parsing through all the traits and extracting the relevant immunity, which would absolutely require a script.  There is nothing to prevent a user from creating any such attributes on the attributes and abilities tab. The number of player characters in a typical game is small enough that this could be done manually, or if you wish, using ChatSetAttr. It would probably be best to duplicate the attribute names created for NPCs, though, to simplify macro writing. Those do not exist on WotC character sheets as released by Wizards of the Coast, and only appear in NPC statblocks. I don't think Roll20 has the agency to make such a change on the displayed sheet itself, since they deal with licensed material. That being said, there is a lot of stuff on the settings tab to allow characters to follow various rules, like custom AC formulae, or Jack of Trades. It might be worth petitioning the Powers That Be to put it there, though my suspicion would be that, given the architecture of the sheet, they would not share attribute names with NPCs. In the meantime, the above method should work.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: The advantage of what Matt is talking about would be the ability to call up @{playercharacter|immunities} and have it return a simple value that could be acted upon by scripts and macros, rather than parsing through all the traits and extracting the relevant immunity, which would absolutely require a script.  What about switching the character to an NPC, entering the resistances/immunities/etc., and switching back to the PC character sheet? It's simple, creates a consistent attribute, and one script could work on both the PCs and NPCs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I always feel a little leery about that. I don't trust the sheet to not screw something up. :D

Edited 1631804010
This was simple enough to do, can't believe I didn't think of this.  But I still would ask these to be officially added.  They don't need to be on the "main" character sheet page, but the Options page would be fine. FYI, here is what I used to create the fields and just selected all of the characters. !setattr --sel --npc_resistances| !setattr --sel --npc_immunities| Now, I can manipulate these manually or by scripts and reference them in macros. Thanks Keith! keithcurtis said: The advantage of what Matt is talking about would be the ability to call up @{playercharacter|immunities} and have it return a simple value that could be acted upon by scripts and macros, rather than parsing through all the traits and extracting the relevant immunity, which would absolutely require a script.  There is nothing to prevent a user from creating any such attributes on the attributes and abilities tab. The number of player characters in a typical game is small enough that this could be done manually, or if you wish, using ChatSetAttr. It would probably be best to duplicate the attribute names created for NPCs, though, to simplify macro writing. Those do not exist on WotC character sheets as released by Wizards of the Coast, and only appear in NPC statblocks. I don't think Roll20 has the agency to make such a change on the displayed sheet itself, since they deal with licensed material. That being said, there is a lot of stuff on the settings tab to allow characters to follow various rules, like custom AC formulae, or Jack of Trades. It might be worth petitioning the Powers That Be to put it there, though my suspicion would be that, given the architecture of the sheet, they would not share attribute names with NPCs. In the meantime, the above method should work.
Found a bug with the 5e sheet. To repro: Roll Queries: Query Advantage Reliable Talent: On stealth_roll becomes: @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{stealth-u}}} {{mod=@{stealth_bonus}}} {{r1=[[{@{d20},0d20+10}k1+5[Proficiency]+10[Mods]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,&#123&#123normal=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[0d20|Advantage,&#123&#123advantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[{@{d20},0d20+10}k1|Disadvantage,&#123&#123disadvantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[{@{d20},0d20+10}k1}+5[Proficiency]+10[Mods]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{global_skill_mod}}} @{charname_output} Which ends up with a broken output for advantage, and the pick list only contains Normal and Advantage.
Does anyone experience failed to add item from compendium tab to character sheet? Not every sheet behaving the same, and other ones can accept the item.
Brief Description: Not sure this would be possible, but would there be any option for adding global modifiers to NPC sheets? would be helpful for beastmaster companions, npcs who are bane-d or blessed, etc.
Hello all, The charactermancer seems to make a mistake with regard to skill proficiencies when a person multiclasses. I have a player who just created a Cleric 1/Wizard 7 character and the charactermancer allowed him to choose additional skill proficiencies from the Wizard's list when he multiclassed into Wizard after the first level of Cleric. This is incorrect. According to the table on Page 164 of the PHB, only Rangers, Bards, and Rogues get a skill proficiency, and they only get one from the appropriate list, not all they would be allowed if choosing the class at 1st level. Yet, when the player ran the charactermancer, he was allowed to choose two proficiencies from the Wizard's list. Can this be put on the list of things to fix in the charactermancer, please?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Saul, Although this thread is dev-monitored, it would probably be more likely to see action if you filed a  Help Center Request . This will automatically create a ticket. It may not be acted upon for some time depending on other priorities, but it will persist. Whereas a forum post is likely to be forgotten over time.
Done. :-) keithcurtis said: Hi Saul, Although this thread is dev-monitored, it would probably be more likely to see action if you filed a  Help Center Request . This will automatically create a ticket. It may not be acted upon for some time depending on other priorities, but it will persist. Whereas a forum post is likely to be forgotten over time.
I believe if you just click the text, or the header (Steady Aim) - I forget which - it will collapse like the rest. VeratiaGames said: so how would i get in this instance, the text in the steady aim is all showing, hidden like how the second wind, fighting style, and wanderer features. those first 3 were added in the charactermancer, the other ones i filled in myself. is this something we can do?
Nic B. said: Hey folks, Just wanted to note that we pushed a patch that should resolve this issue. If you're still seeing any problems, please let us know. Thanks, Nic Nathan S. said: Tested in 2 separate campaigns, the Roll20 player character sheets seem to be defaulting to Always Roll Damage, despite turning it off. Whenever the sheet reloads (closed or is popped out), it resets the setting. This is still an issue in all of my DnD 5e campaigns, AND my Pathfinder 1e campaigns. Character sheets do not save the setting, and changes in the default game options do not affect it either. Turning off auto-rolling damage on the character sheet does nothing, as it just resets back to turned on as soon as you close the sheet, or switch tabs.
Feature Request: Spell Attack Type Brief Description: Under NPC attack the drop-down has Melee or Ranged, but not Ranged Spell attack or Melee Spell attack.
This had not been an issue in any of my games until this past Tuesday (10/4/21).  All of my players' sheets had been set to not auto-roll damage and that had been fine for over a year. Suddenly, this Tuesday, all of the sheets were set to always auto roll damage. On the other hand, setting it back to not auto-rolling the damage worked fine and the setting held even after closing the sheet. I don't know why, suddenly, the setting had changed. Dastardly Sloot said: Nic B. said: Hey folks, Just wanted to note that we pushed a patch that should resolve this issue. If you're still seeing any problems, please let us know. Thanks, Nic Nathan S. said: Tested in 2 separate campaigns, the Roll20 player character sheets seem to be defaulting to Always Roll Damage, despite turning it off. Whenever the sheet reloads (closed or is popped out), it resets the setting. This is still an issue in all of my DnD 5e campaigns, AND my Pathfinder 1e campaigns. Character sheets do not save the setting, and changes in the default game options do not affect it either. Turning off auto-rolling damage on the character sheet does nothing, as it just resets back to turned on as soon as you close the sheet, or switch tabs.
Thank you everybody. You helped me a lot)

Edited 1633746672
Feature Request: Better UI for Custom Skills Brief Description: I play a homebrew game with some custom skills but I feel my players forget that they have those skills since they're located way below the skills box. I would love to have custom skills added to the skills box instead of the tool and language proficiency box. I would also like the option to have custom skills without adding a proficiency. expertise, or jack of all trades bonus Screenshots:   

Edited 1633975978
Feature Request: Multiple colors for prepared spells Many spellcasters have always-prepared spells, racial spells, and then spells they prepare manually daily.(Edit: I forgot about multiple spellcasting classes!) I would LOVE to be able to click through a couple of different colors to differentiate between these. Screenshots below of how I've got my players set up now, and then below that I just edited the screenshot for my idea. Screenshots: Please let me know if there's already some way to do this and I've just completely missed it.
Hi There! I'm both new to DnD and Roll20, and I'm testing out the character for a campaign that I am going to run with my friends. I noticed that there is only 1 background (Acolyte) and feat (Grappler) implemented. Those are just the ones I've noticed thus far and I know there are probably other aspects missing too in the OGL SRD like races or classes). Is there a way to add new entries into the charactermancer as a preset choose-able from its dropdown menu? Is there going to be a character sheet with an update for these missing options releasing? I just want to make the process as streamlined as possible for my friends. I was gifted a physical copy of an adventure book and I'd really not want to pay for any expansion if possible. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1634171469
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is a common question. Wizards of the Coast publishes a resource called the System Reference Document, or SRD. The SRD has a subset of the rules: 1 subclass per class, 1 sub race per race, 1 background, 1 feat and so on. (You've mentioned this, but I am reiterating for those following along who may not be familiar with it). This content is free for all to use. All of the other content must be purchased. Roll20 makes the SRD content available for free. If you need the other options, this either requires the purchase of the appropriate sourcebook (most likely the Players Handbook), or the user needs to manually input any of the resources from books they own or homebrew they have created. The Charactermancer is a nice tool, but it does nothing that cannot be done manually. So to answer your question more directly: All official content currently published by WotC is available where legally possible. When purchased, it will be available in the Charactermancer. At this time, there is no way to add homebrew content to the charactermancer or the compendium. Such items must be added manually.
According to the Suggestions Forum, the Roll20 team is already investigating this.&nbsp; I really hope they implement something soon! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7928134/improve-the-spells-prepared-on-5e-ogl-sheet" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7928134/improve-the-spells-prepared-on-5e-ogl-sheet</a> &nbsp; Kingkevin said: Feature Request: Multiple colors for prepared spells Many spellcasters have always-prepared spells, racial spells, and then spells they prepare manually daily.(Edit: I forgot about multiple spellcasting classes!) I would LOVE to be able to click through a couple of different colors to differentiate between these. Screenshots below of how I've got my players set up now, and then below that I just edited the screenshot for my idea. Screenshots: Please let me know if there's already some way to do this and I've just completely missed it.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Matt M. said: According to the Suggestions Forum, the Roll20 team is already investigating this.&nbsp; I really hope they implement something soon! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7928134/improve-the-spells-prepared-on-5e-ogl-sheet" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7928134/improve-the-spells-prepared-on-5e-ogl-sheet</a> The silly thing is, the hidden &lt;input&gt;s required to be able to use CSS to re-color the spell dot programmatically only need to be moved up a couple of lines in the HTML. They're already siblings of the red dot, but they're in the wrong order making it impossible to select via CSS. You could then auto-color them however you like, based on the values of the racial, VSM, innate and concentration attributes.
Why the heck is Illrigger showing up in the 5e Sheet? Nothing against Matt Colville, but uh, what the heck? Created a brand new game with no compendiums, and I'm still seeing it.
Martial Versatility in the Charactmancer when leveling up a Ranger in the charactermancer going from 3rd level to 4th level Is shows that you are able to pick a new fighting style but there is no menu to do so.

Edited 1635028634
Feature Request: Blindroll Whisper Setting Brief Description: Include a setting for player character sheet that allows rolls to go ONLY to the DM (i.e. the player rolling does not see the result) Supplemental: Include both a toggle and always option Show an open text message that confirms a roll was attempted (e.g. Fineous tries to be stealthy)
Feature Request: Show number of spells that can be prepared Brief Description: Show the number of spells the character can prepare on the spells tab Supplemental: Allow an "at will" toggle in addition to the current "prepared" red dot for spells Show both the total number of spells that can be prepared and the current number of spells prepared
I got a reply to this basically saying yeah we meant to do that because of some upcoming compendium. This is hardly a hill worth dying on, but it really rubs me the wrong way for unofficial classes to show up in a select list like this. Why present content to players that they can't use in most games in the official sheet at all? If roll20 needs to add support for this to support a product they'll be selling, it should only appear when that compendium is added to the game. This is just lazy UI work. Matt Beck said: Why the heck is Illrigger showing up in the 5e Sheet? Nothing against Matt Colville, but uh, what the heck? Created a brand new game with no compendiums, and I'm still seeing it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Matt Beck said: I got a reply to this basically saying yeah we meant to do that because of some upcoming compendium. This is hardly a hill worth dying on, but it really rubs me the wrong way for unofficial classes to show up in a select list like this. Why present content to players that they can't use in most games in the official sheet at all? If roll20 needs to add support for this to support a product they'll be selling, it should only appear when that compendium is added to the game. This is just lazy UI work. Matt Beck said: Why the heck is Illrigger showing up in the 5e Sheet? Nothing against Matt Colville, but uh, what the heck? Created a brand new game with no compendiums, and I'm still seeing it. Haven't seen the actual response, but I'm guessing they meant that was coming up in a future compendium and was accidentally made available. In general, you won't see options you can't use. If you don't own Wildemount, you won't see Genasi, for instance. Illrigger is not in my list of classes, so I assume the error has been corrected.
That would make sense,&nbsp; but apparently no. From the email: "This is actually meant to be there, believe it or not! It's there so it can function with the associated compendium/charactermancer updates that should be forthcoming." Still showing up in my games weirdly.&nbsp; Shrug?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is very strange. Both the answer you received, and the fact that I'm not seeing it as well. I suspect a major disconnect in communication somewhere upstream.