Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

Grimtoothy said: Thats a snazzy feature.   But I wasn't asking for that. How about this... I'll tell you what I'm looking to do. I'm going to write a test ability that will take the selected tokens attack #1 and output its attack bonus.   Actually, once I know how to do that, I'm going to output a chart that numerically depends on the value of this attack bonus. Gauss said: Hi Grimtoothy,  Click the attack on your character sheet Next, click the Chat tab (top right corner) Then, click the chat window (where you type) Finally, press the up arrow on your keyboard, copy the text, and paste it somewhere.  That will show you how the template is constructed, including bonuses.  Note: If you just want know what the attack bonus was on any roll you just need to hover over the attack after it is made and it will show you.  The way to get the attack bonus is by doing what Gauss explained. Unfortunately there is no single 'attack bonus' attribute for the 'D&D 5E by Roll20' sheet.  The attack bonus is calculated by the sheetworkers (pieces of javascript code embedded in the character sheet) when the button is pressed, depending on the attributes of the weapon or spell that is clicked on. Typically it is the character's Proficiency Bonus (@{pb}) plus the modifier for Strength (@{strength_mod}), Dexterity (@{dexterity_mod}), or Spell Attack (@{spell_attack_bonus}). Attack Rolls Modifiers to the Roll When a character makes an attack roll, the two most common modifiers to the roll are an ability modifier and the character's proficiency bonus. When a monster makes an attack roll, it uses whatever modifier is provided in its stat block. Ability Modifier. The ability modifier used for a melee weapon attack is Strength, and the ability modifier used for a ranged weapon attack is Dexterity. Weapons that have the finesse or thrown property break this rule. Some spells also require an attack roll. The ability modifier used for a spell attack depends on the spellcasting ability of the spellcaster. Proficiency Bonus. You add your proficiency bonus to your attack roll when you attack using a weapon with which you have proficiency, as well as when you attack with a spell.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Grimtoothy, Right, that is what I was giving you, the method to deconstruct a template to find out what the attack bonus is. Once you know the attack bonus language you can use it as needed.  Note: this greatly depends on if this is a PC or NPC. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Actually, there may be a way, but it is arcane.  For NPCs: @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohit} For PCs:  @{selected|repeating_attack_$1_atkbonus} Change the number to the number of the attack. There is no way to know in advance which number it will be though.  If you can elaborate more on how you will use this, why, etc. there may be more we can do. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also note that Javascript starts counting at zero, so @{selected|repeating_attack_$1_atkbonus} is actually the second attack. To further complicate things, if you have manually reordered the attacks at any time, the display order may not be the same as the programmatic order.
Yeah, I didn't think to mention that the process you provided didn't include the references for the bonus.  It automatically replaced the NPC attack bonus in the code. @{Vegepygmy Elite|wtype}&{template:npcfullatk} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}}  @{Vegepygmy Elite|npc_name_flag} {{rname=Spear}} {{r1=[[@{Vegepygmy Elite|d20}+( 4 +0)]]}} @{Vegepygmy Elite|rtype}+( 4 +0)]]}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 2+0]]}} {{dmg1type=piercing}} {{dmg2=[[+0]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[1d8+0]]}} {{crit2=[[+0]]}} {{description=}} @{Vegepygmy Elite|charname_output} So that didn't get what I needed. Gauss said: Grimtoothy, Right, that is what I was giving you, the method to deconstruct a template to find out what the attack bonus is. Once you know the attack bonus language you can use it as needed.  Note: this greatly depends on if this is a PC or NPC. 
Well, I expect a LARGE battle with a small horde of vegepygmys.  So I'm trying to get ahead of the rolling curve by using the mob attack rules.  Once I decided that, I wondered how to form a macro which would automatically generate, based on the attack of the npc, the mob attack chart with the attack ranges modifed by the npc attack bonus..  And, I figure I should code it so I could easily copy and paste it among different npcs types as needed All of that seems easy,  EXECPT I couldn't find out to dynamically capture the attack bonus for the selected npc. So I tried a variation of  @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohit} before without success.  But, this seems to do what I needed. Just so I make sure I understand how it parses, " selected|repeating_npcaction_$1" essentially directs you to the second action for the npc. So "_attack" directs you to the ... attack?... part of the action? then "_to hit" is easy to follow. Gauss said:ui Actually, there may be a way, but it is arcane.  For NPCs: @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohit} For PCs:  @{selected|repeating_attack_$1_atkbonus} Change the number to the number of the attack. There is no way to know in advance which number it will be though.  If you can elaborate more on how you will use this, why, etc. there may be more we can do. 

Edited 1689916396
Gauss
Forum Champion
Don't try to make too much of the "attack_tohit" name of the repeating section. The name is whatever the coder decided it would be at the time and has no bearing on anything other than their selection of a name.  The key element here is for an NPC all the attacks are going to use this attribute: @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$#_attack_tohit} Where # is the number in the repeating "npcaction" section of the sheet.  Still doesn't solve your ordering problem. That will have to be experimentation.  Really, it is just simpler to plug this in as a query in the Mob Attack macro. Check the bonus for the creature, then plug that into the query every time you roll the attack.  Alternately, create an attribute, plug the attack value in manually. Then call that attribute in your Mob Attack macro.  This is a case where manual is far simpler and easier than automation because, you really cannot automate this: " dynamically capture the attack bonus for the selected npc." At some point you will have to decide which attack is being used. Just simpler to check, plug that value in. 
Grimtoothy said: Well, I expect a LARGE battle with a small horde of vegepygmys.  So I'm trying to get ahead of the rolling curve by using the mob attack rules.  Once I decided that, I wondered how to form a macro which would automatically generate, based on the attack of the npc, the mob attack chart with the attack ranges modifed by the npc attack bonus..  And, I figure I should code it so I could easily copy and paste it among different npcs types as needed All of that seems easy,  EXECPT I couldn't find out to dynamically capture the attack bonus for the selected npc. So I tried a variation of  @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohit} before without success.  But, this seems to do what I needed. Just so I make sure I understand how it parses, " selected|repeating_npcaction_$1" essentially directs you to the second action for the npc. So "_attack" directs you to the ... attack?... part of the action? then "_to hit" is easy to follow. Ah I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I think this is what you are looking for: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=@{selected|character_name} Mob @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_name} Attack}} {{name=versus @{target|token_name}}} {{description=[[[[[{[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>1*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>6*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>13*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>15*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>17*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>19*(5) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>20*(10)]]]]](#) @{selected|character_name}s are needed to hit @{target|token_name} [[[@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_onhit}]]](#) average damage (+@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit} 'To Hit' versus @{target|ac}AC)}} That will roll the 1st attack listed on the selected token's character sheet against a target's AC.
Well, no, that not what I was aiming to do.  I was going to just have it output a table and I'd check the characters AC manually.  But this looks SO MUCH better. A couple questions.. 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit} I suppose the 0 is there because the attack_tohit is stored as "+4" and this forces arithmetic? After the description = , you have a code in the form [[[[[  all the comparisions ]]]](#).  Im stumped on why so many ['s and what the (#) does.  If giured all you would need is just [[ all the comparisions ]]  and that would output the number. I can't find examples in the roll20 wiki regarding this (#). Jarren said: Grimtoothy said: Well, I expect a LARGE battle with a small horde of vegepygmys.  So I'm trying to get ahead of the rolling curve by using the mob attack rules.  Once I decided that, I wondered how to form a macro which would automatically generate, based on the attack of the npc, the mob attack chart with the attack ranges modifed by the npc attack bonus..  And, I figure I should code it so I could easily copy and paste it among different npcs types as needed All of that seems easy,  EXECPT I couldn't find out to dynamically capture the attack bonus for the selected npc. So I tried a variation of  @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohit} before without success.  But, this seems to do what I needed. Just so I make sure I understand how it parses, " selected|repeating_npcaction_$1" essentially directs you to the second action for the npc. So "_attack" directs you to the ... attack?... part of the action? then "_to hit" is easy to follow. Ah I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I think this is what you are looking for: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=@{selected|character_name} Mob @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_name} Attack}} {{name=versus @{target|token_name}}} {{description=[[[[[{[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>1*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>6*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>13*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>15*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>17*(1) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>19*(5) + {[[@{target|ac} - 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit}]],0}>20*(10)]]]]](#) @{selected|character_name}s are needed to hit @{target|token_name} [[[@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_onhit}]]](#) average damage (+@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit} 'To Hit' versus @{target|ac}AC)}} That will roll the 1st attack listed on the selected token's character sheet against a target's AC.
Trying to find where the option to import characters, NPCs or monsters in JSON format is.  The sheet docs don't say anything about this.  Anyone know what the steps are?

Edited 1690125327
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Lucaslabs,  Importing characters in JSON format is not a native Roll20 functionality but there are extensions and/or Mods (API scripts) to do that. Alas I don't know which ones are for that purpose. I would ask in the Mods (API Scripts) forum. 

Edited 1690125472
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi LucasLabs! That is not a feature of Roll20. I believe that the VTTES extension has some feature like that, but I don't use it. The Transmogrifier (which you have access to as a Pro user) is much easier.
Hi Guys. First of all, sorry if it was asked or answered already on this thread, but, as I can't found this information in anywhere, I would like to know which was the material that the sheet for Kindowm, Vehichles and Army was based on. I have found some material about mass combat, but none of then include attributes that appears on the sheet, in special, in case or army, 'scouting', 'maneuver' and the list of penalties. Does anyone know if the sheet update was based on any material?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Genos! Those options were added to account for the release of the Paizo adventure path, Kingmaker. As part of a kickstarter pledge, it was released for Pathfinder, Pathfinder2 and 5e. Roll20 did conversions for each system, which in the case of DnD required those sheet additions. They do not refer to any 5e rules. You can ignore them, or come up with some way to use them for homebrew material.

Edited 1690128425
Grimtoothy said: A couple questions.. 0@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohit} I suppose the 0 is there because the attack_tohit is stored as "+4" and this forces arithmetic? I was using the  Catering for 'missing attributes' when summing values  trick, just in case there was a null value there (if the character doesn't have that attack. Partly because I was also working on a version that would display up to 10 attacks for the NPC, until I realized that the attack bonus is pretty much always the same for all NPC attacks. If I found an NPC with different attack bonuses for different attacks, then I'd take another look at a multi-attack macro. One possible issue with this macro is for any NPCs who have a 'Multiattack' action, which is always listed first.  Since the Multiattack won't have an attack bonus, you'll have to use a macro that changes all of the $0 to $1. Though if this is being used for Mob Rules, then it's also likely that the mobs won't have Multiattack, as they are typically lower level NPCs. After the description = , you have a code in the form [[[[[  all the comparisions ]]]](#).  Im stumped on why so many ['s and what the (#) does.  If giured all you would need is just [[ all the comparisions ]]  and that would output the number. I can't find examples in the roll20 wiki regarding this (#). I was just making it look 'nicer' with a version of the  HTML Styles in chat trick . Without the [ }(#) code it looks like this (the text is bolded and the tooltip 'rolls' are visible): The [ ]( ) format creates a link in chat, and by adding a 'null' link (that's what the # does) nothing happens if you accidentally click on it, and also changes the text to be non-bolded, and removes the tooltip. The additional pair of [[ ]] inside just means that if you weren't using the [ ](#) to remove the tooltip altogether, then you won't see the crazy 'roll' that happens to get the result. It's a holdover from when I was creating the macro. And FYI the way I constructed the comparison macro was using the idea from this  5E Cleric's Destroy Undead macro help thread, in case you're wondering how to do that as well.

Edited 1690153516
Hi all, Hi all, My players are starting to create their character sheets in Roll20 for our upcoming campaign. However, we're running into an issue where once we get thru the whole character creation process, at the end of the charactermancer we hit "apply changes" and then the progress bar appears saying "Building your character..." ...but then nothing happens, no progress is made on the bar, it doesn't move, it just sits there. Anyone else experienced this problem/know how to fix it? EDIT - I've figured it out, the charactermancer only bugs out when I select one of the character backgrounds from the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica sourcebook. If I don't select those backgrounds, the charactermancer seems to work normally. Any ideas? Can I report this as a bug? EDIT 2: Ah-ha! I've narrowed it down even more! It seems to only be an issue when I select the Dimir Operative background.
Character sheets are loading a but slow for me tonight, but once they do everything else seems to be working alright. And we're not using that sourcebook.
I need help fixing a character sheet.   My son used a potion of hill giant strength, so I went into settings and attribute options on his sheet and entered 7 in the field for strength, expecting it to change the character's strength from 14 to 21.  Instead, the sheet is now showing the strength modifer as 2213132202142....  I've removed the 7 from the attribute options, and the strength modifier changes.  I've deleted what was in the strength field on the core page and typed in 14, but the strength modifier stays.  I have 2 questions: Shouldn't what I did have worked to change his strength to 21, and 2: what do I do to undo it?  I really don't want to delete the sheet and re-add it.  
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Trey,  Please screenshot the Core page's equipment section and the top third or so of the Settings page.
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
David B. said: Hi all, Hi all, My players are starting to create their character sheets in Roll20 for our upcoming campaign. However, we're running into an issue where once we get thru the whole character creation process, at the end of the charactermancer we hit "apply changes" and then the progress bar appears saying "Building your character..." ...but then nothing happens, no progress is made on the bar, it doesn't move, it just sits there. Anyone else experienced this problem/know how to fix it? EDIT - I've figured it out, the charactermancer only bugs out when I select one of the character backgrounds from the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica sourcebook. If I don't select those backgrounds, the charactermancer seems to work normally. Any ideas? Can I report this as a bug? EDIT 2: Ah-ha! I've narrowed it down even more! It seems to only be an issue when I select the Dimir Operative background. This problem happened to me regularly in case the players opened and manipulated the sheets in a different browser window. If they cancel, normally everything is fine EXCEPT the background-information.
Hi, I'm trying to place monsters from the compendium and they fail to appear on the map. I'm using a custom map image, but otherwise vanilla settings. No macros, no addons. I've tried it on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Edited 1690424825
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi David,  Could you please screenshot the VTT, including table and compendium, when you are dragging something from there? 
Something of note, if you do not have charactermancer enabled, you will not be prompted if you want a character or NPC sheet and it can be rather frustrating as it seems the only options are to re-enable the charactermancer or to enable/disable the games sheet defaults to either always get character sheets or NPCs.    Is there a simpler way?
This is likely a case of my not seeing the problem, but why not keep charactermancer enabled and just not use it? Ignore the "Use Charactermancer" button and click on "Edit Sheet Directly"? Then again, the only time that I use NPC character sheets is when I'm modifying an NPC that I've dragged from a compendium. Any major NPC that doesn't fit an existing template gets a full character sheet. Neb said: Something of note, if you do not have charactermancer enabled, you will not be prompted if you want a character or NPC sheet and it can be rather frustrating as it seems the only options are to re-enable the charactermancer or to enable/disable the games sheet defaults to either always get character sheets or NPCs.    Is there a simpler way?
Gauss said: Hi Trey,  Please screenshot the Core page's equipment section and the top third or so of the Settings page.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Trey,  In my testing the Waythe causes an error anytime the strength is modified. I am not sure why but the results are pretty clear.  To remedy this delete the Waythe from the equipment (not the attack, the equipment item has to be deleted). The strength should return to normal.  Your options in the future are:  1) Delete and re-add the Waythe in the equipment anytime you modify the character's strength.  2) Delete the Waythe (again, the equipment), then create a new Waythe manually in the equipment.  * Name: Waythe * Equipped: checkmarked * Use as a Resource: uncheckmarked * Has an attack: checkmarked * Prop: heavy, two-handed * Mods: Item Type: Weapon, Damage: 2d6, Damage Type: slashing, Attack, Melee Attacks +1, Melee Damage +1 * Close the "equipment Waythe" * Next, edit the "Attack Waythe" and put this in the Description:  When you hit a creature of the giant type with it, the giant takes an extra 2d6 [[2d6]] slashing damage, and it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or fall prone. One of those options should resolve the problem. If it doesn't please let me know. 
@Neb: in case you didn't already know, you can switch a sheet between PC and NPC forms if you get the wrong kind by default.  It's a checkbox: On a PC sheet, go to the "gear" page, and the Character Sheet Type pulldown is at the top of the right column. On a NPC sheet, open the NPC Options section (hover over top right to get gear) and Character Sheet Type is the first item in General Options. But I agree. For those of us who don't use charactermancer (and I don't in one of my games), it's a bit of a pain. But I suppose it's better than putting the control where players are likely to click it by accident.
Is there anyway to tell from a character sheet what feat(s) have been selected ?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Cat said: Is there anyway to tell from a character sheet what feat(s) have been selected ? They should be listed in the Features & Traits section in the bottom right corner of the "Core" page. 
Ken S. said: @Neb: in case you didn't already know, you can switch a sheet between PC and NPC forms if you get the wrong kind by default.  It's a checkbox: On a PC sheet, go to the "gear" page, and the Character Sheet Type pulldown is at the top of the right column. On a NPC sheet, open the NPC Options section (hover over top right to get gear) and Character Sheet Type is the first item in General Options. But I agree. For those of us who don't use charactermancer (and I don't in one of my games), it's a bit of a pain. But I suppose it's better than putting the control where players are likely to click it by accident. This is exactly what I was looking for and clearly too tired to find at the time.   Clearly I was looking in all the wrong locations.   TY immensely.
I have a question, if i add lets say Tasha's to my account. Does that allow me to use the subclasses available in it for leveling up my character in game? Or does this only work if the DM shares their compendium?

Edited 1692282381
Gauss
Forum Champion
ye-roon said: I have a question, if i add lets say Tasha's to my account. Does that allow me to use the subclasses available in it for leveling up my character in game? Or does this only work if the DM shares their compendium? Yes, if the DM has allowed people to use the book if they own it. So you will need to talk to your DM about making sure it is enabled in the game's Compendium Settings. 
Hello! I've run into an issue with a PC sheet, where the saving throw modifiers are double the ability score mod for some reason, with proficiency added later. So: -1 STR becomes -2 STR save, and +3 CHA becomes +8 CHA save (6+2 [proficiency bonus]). A quick web search shows me that no one seems to have had issues with this before.  I've included screenshots for clarity!

Edited 1692665868
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi sigdignia! Those slots on the "Save Options" block of the settings tab are for manual bonuses. Did you enter those values or did something else, such as a script or another player? Unless you have something granting your player extra bonuses, those slots should be blank, and the sheet will figure them normally.

Edited 1692825961
Would there be a way to add the option to change the names of Statistics or Skills? For example, I am playing a Futuristic DND game.  I would love to change "Animal Handling " to "Mechanics" and change it's stat to Intelligence. Same with changing Wisdom to another stat name.  Is this possible?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not really. not without writing your own sheet. You can prepend or append new text with a CSS extension like Stylus, but as far as I know, you can't change displayed text.

Edited 1692899597
When I level-up my wizard using the Charactermancer, the spells are in seemingly random order.&nbsp; I'd expect them to be alphabetical.&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/maVb7Es.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/maVb7Es.png</a>
Also, it doesn't apply "Empowered Evocation", adding the spellcasting modifier to damage rolls of evocation spells. That's okay, I can do that manually. It's a chore, but I only have to do it once. &nbsp; Well, I should only have to do it once, but every time I level-up with the Charactermancer, it overwrites that and I have to do it all over again.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Additionally, every time I level up, Toll the Dead breaks.&nbsp; For example, I had d8 and d12 in there for damage at level 4. When I leveled up, the damage should be 2d8 and 2d12 in tier 2, but it's using this formula:&nbsp; [[round((@{level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]]8&nbsp; Which gives a flat 28 damage.&nbsp; it's not rolling anything.&nbsp; It overwrote the d8 I put in there with that. The d12 damage was unchanged when it should be 2d12.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: Not really. not without writing your own sheet. You can prepend or append new text with a CSS extension like Stylus, but as far as I know, you can't change displayed text. Unfortunate, I really like the Roll20 sheet.&nbsp; I didn't know that changing text was so complicated.&nbsp; Is it because all the code is tied to the words?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A Roll20 sheet is actually pretty complex, requiring a strong coding background to create, and is typically comprised of three parts: HTML, which may contain javascript commands, some proprietary to Roll20 CSS, which controls how the sheet will display on a browser one or more JSON translation files, which change how the text appears in different languages If you are creating or using a manually uploaded sheet (a Pro perk), you can edit any of these to your heart's delight. You can also access the code for most community-created sheets in in the Roll20 sheet repo, upload them manually and edit them. The code files for the official Roll20 sheets, however, are proprietary and not available to the users. There are many valid reasons for this, such as IP-controlled information in the coding, or keeping development and support streamlined. I fully expect and welcome any corrections or clarifications to this from actual, qualified sheet devs. :)
PunyPaladin said: Also, it doesn't apply "Empowered Evocation", adding the spellcasting modifier to damage rolls of evocation spells. That's okay, I can do that manually. It's a chore, but I only have to do it once. &nbsp; Well, I should only have to do it once, but every time I level-up with the Charactermancer, it overwrites that and I have to do it all over again.&nbsp;&nbsp; Where are you manually updating the spellcasting modifier for evocation spells?&nbsp; On each spell? You could just add a query to a Global Damage Modifier, and then you would be prompted each time you roll damage to add the EE bonus. You shouldn't ever have to update it manually: ?{Empowered Evocation?|Yes, @{intelligence_mod}|No,0}
PunyPaladin said: Additionally, every time I level up, Toll the Dead breaks.&nbsp; For example, I had d8 and d12 in there for damage at level 4. When I leveled up, the damage should be 2d8 and 2d12 in tier 2, but it's using this formula:&nbsp; [[round((@{level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]]8&nbsp; Which gives a flat 28 damage.&nbsp; it's not rolling anything.&nbsp; It overwrote the d8 I put in there with that. The d12 damage was unchanged when it should be 2d12.&nbsp; I think you have copy error, because you're missing the 'd'. [[round((@{level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]] d 8 Also, if you want to simplify Toll the Dead with a query, change the 'Cantrip Progression' to 'None' and put this into the Damage field for the spell: [[floor((@{level}+1)/6)+1]]d?{Are they at Full Health?|No,12|Yes,8} That will adjust the damage to a d12, and automatically scale when you level up.&nbsp; You can also use a 'target' command on a token if you don't want to answer a query about their health, but want to click on the targeted token and have it automatically calculate if they are at full health or not: [[floor((@{level}+1)/6)+1]]d[[12-(4*floor(@{target|Target1|bar1}/@{target|Target1|bar1|max}))]]
Jarren said: Where are you manually updating the spellcasting modifier for evocation spells?&nbsp; On each spell? You could just add a query to a Global Damage Modifier, and then you would be prompted each time you roll damage to add the EE bonus. You shouldn't ever have to update it manually: ?{Empowered Evocation?|Yes, @{intelligence_mod}|No,0} Yes, each spell, by checking the " ADD ABILITY MOD TO DAMAGE OR HEALING" box.&nbsp; Your suggestion would add another dialog box on every damage roll?&nbsp; &nbsp; No, I'd rather do that once, not every time.&nbsp;
Jarren said: I think you have copy error, because you're missing the 'd'. [[round((@{level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]] d 8 Also, if you want to simplify Toll the Dead with a query, change the 'Cantrip Progression' to 'None' and put this into the Damage field for the spell: [[floor((@{level}+1)/6)+1]]d?{Are they at Full Health?|No,12|Yes,8} That will adjust the damage to a d12, and automatically scale when you level up.&nbsp; You can also use a 'target' command on a token if you don't want to answer a query about their health, but want to click on the targeted token and have it automatically calculate if they are at full health or not: [[floor((@{level}+1)/6)+1]]d[[12-(4*floor(@{target|Target1|bar1}/@{target|Target1|bar1|max}))]] The missing 'd' is roll20's error, not mine.&nbsp; I didn't put anything in there.&nbsp; I'm showing what Roll20 put in there.&nbsp; Your other suggestions are more hassle than they're worth, IMO.&nbsp; I don't like extra dialog boxes.&nbsp; I'd prefer to use damage 1 and damage 2. I changed the damage type to 'Necrotic d8' and 'Necrotic d12'&nbsp; If I really wanted to only roll the damage once, I'd probably add the spell twice, once each with d8 and d12.&nbsp; But really, this cantrip has been around for years , since 2017.&nbsp; Why isn't it working correctly?
PunyPaladin said: The missing 'd' is roll20's error, not mine.&nbsp; I didn't put anything in there.&nbsp; I'm showing what Roll20 put in there.&nbsp; I don't own XGtE on Roll20, so I can't confirm if the spell is built incorrectly in the compendium.&nbsp; Maybe try deleting it and adding it again to see if there was a bug or inadvertent deletion in some way.&nbsp; If it is being created without the 'd' for the dice roll, then that needs to get fixed (and it should be a relatively minor/easy fix), and just needs a Bug Report to be filed.&nbsp; But really, this cantrip has been around for&nbsp; years , since 2017.&nbsp; Why isn't it working correctly? I just ran a quick search and I'm not seeing anyone else reporting this issue, so if somehow you're the first person to notice this after 6 years, then that's the reason.
I have a player as well as two custom NPCs that&nbsp; use the Toll the Dead spell.&nbsp; I edited the spell output from "SPELLCARD" to "ATTACK" as shown in the pic below. DAMAGE 1 has always scaled properly with caster level for us with this configuration. The annoying problem with using DAMAGE 2 is that it doesn't scale with CANTRIP DICE, so it has to be edited when the appropriate class level is reached. Also, it's a bit odd (and disappointing) when the d12 roll comes in lower than the d8 roll.

Edited 1692990643
keithcurtis said: A Roll20 sheet is actually pretty complex, requiring a strong coding background to create, and is typically comprised of three parts: HTML, which may contain javascript commands, some proprietary to Roll20 CSS, which controls how the sheet will display on a browser one or more JSON translation files, which change how the text appears in different languages If you are creating or using a manually uploaded sheet (a Pro perk), you can edit any of these to your heart's delight. You can also access the code for most community-created sheets in in the Roll20 sheet repo, upload them manually and edit them. The code files for the official Roll20 sheets, however, are proprietary and not available to the users. There are many valid reasons for this, such as IP-controlled information in the coding, or keeping development and support streamlined. I fully expect and welcome any corrections or clarifications to this from actual, qualified sheet devs. :) Honestly that is a service i'd gladly pay for!&nbsp; Unfortunately... I'm stupid.&nbsp; Honestly, if everything I buy wasn't broken i'd gladly support roll20 more, it honestly deserves it for being such a good service, especially lately with the new UI updates on lag. Honestly, I wish the fog pack I bought a friend didn't keep breaking though. I do wish more sheets were as simple (in appearance not function) as the 5E sheet.&nbsp; Having 100s of tabs can be frustrating, and the only change I disagree with recently is the universal bio change, I liked it on the left.
PunyPaladin said: I don't like extra dialog boxes.&nbsp; I'd prefer to use damage 1 and damage 2. I changed the damage type to 'Necrotic d8' and 'Necrotic d12'&nbsp; If I really wanted to only roll the damage once, I'd probably add the spell twice, once each with d8 and d12.&nbsp; Rick A. said: I have a player as well as two custom NPCs that&nbsp; use the Toll the Dead spell.&nbsp; I edited the spell output from "SPELLCARD" to "ATTACK" as shown in the pic below. DAMAGE 1 has always scaled properly with caster level for us with this configuration. The annoying problem with using DAMAGE 2 is that it doesn't scale with CANTRIP DICE, so it has to be edited when the appropriate class level is reached. Also, it's a bit odd (and disappointing) when the d12 roll comes in lower than the d8 roll. Yeah that's definitely annoying that the Damage2 doesn't scale with the Cantrip Dice. Assuming the Damage1 is entered correctly from the Compendium and scales appropriately, you can enter this into Damage2 to have the d12 damage scale appropriately without editing upon level up: [[floor((@{level}+1)/6)+1]]d12]] That's at least a workaround in the meantime until if/when the Compendium is updated and Cantrip Progression functionality is added to the Damage2 field.

Edited 1693007027
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If anyone discovers a bug with compendium data, the best recourse is to submit a&nbsp; Help Center Request . If it's not a game-breaking problem (which would be an immediate fix, such as the recent issue with Fell Mortals not appearing in the book links for purchasers), all typos, data issues and such are logged, tickets are made and they will be verified and corrected. Reporting here will sometimes work, but the nature of a forum means that if someone doesn't create a ticket immediately, then it can easily be lost.