Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

I am considering buying the D&D books from Roll20, but as I am purchasing the books physically as well, I would like to know if the books/compendiums I purchase here will be automatically updated when WotC releases the new D&D books later this year (and the next) - and if I prefer older character sheets, if I still can use them? I neither am very fond of some the changes that have been announced, and I do not want big differences from the physical books I own to the digital copies for use on Roll20. 

Edited 1708189347
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, the new books are completely new works. They will almost certainly require a new purchase. If a book is corrected or edited for errata (as has happened to many books for rule clarifications, mistake corrections, or textual revisions), those updates are made for existing books and are reflected in your on-line source. But t he 2024/25 edition will be entirely new books. It seems at the moment that WotC and Roll20 are saying that you will be able to use both the old and new PHB (for example) in the same campaign. It is unclear what will happen to the old PHB. It might wind up being deprecated, Like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes or Volo's Guide to Monsters, which are no longer available for purchase, but still in your library and usable if you have already purchased them. This is an unofficial answer, based upon my understanding of the situation. I do not represent Roll20.
Thanks, Keith. Appreciate it. :-)
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
@Lux, regarding your last post (rollable table tokens): While this would still be a bit tedious for hundreds of images, it would cut your clicks by half or more. Since you have a Pro account, TheAaron wrote a script that takes all selected tokens and creates a rollable table token for them (with an option to either just make the token or actually create a table). You'd still have to drop all your art onto a map, but you could then just ctrl-a and run the macro.

Edited 1708278120
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Lux! Those are all decent suggestions, though only the first two are really germane to this sheet thread. I'd suggest posting the last two into the Jumpgate thread , since they are more likely to be seen by people developing the Roll20 overall code. And the sheet suggestions would probably be better here, in the sheet development thread , since I suspect very little is being done to this sheet in the future, other than to correct breaking changes. A lot of your Dynamic Lighting needs might be served with the Dynamic Lighting Tool script. Also (and again, not intended as an end-run around your suggestions for general features), if it helps, the Chat Tab and the Jukebox Tab can be popped out into their own windows. I don't know if your monitor set up makes that useful.

Edited 1708276720
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Lux,  A number of your feature requests would be better placed in the Suggestions Forum  as they are not specific to the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet.  Specifically, your 1st, 4th, and 5th suggestions.  Additionally, while the 2nd suggestion (equipping a light) is specific to the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet it would also require architecture changes so should also be in the Suggestions Forum. Your 3rd suggestion does belong in this forum, but it can already be accomplished by creating a character labeled "Group Equipment" and using the equipment section of the character.  Finally, just letting you know that some of your suggestions can probably be accomplished via a Mod (API Script) if you need a current solution. 
I'm having an issue where nothing I have set up in the Global Damage Modifier fields is working. The global attack modifier field is working fine, but the damage isn't coming through - can anyone help?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Neill,  Can you screenshot your character sheet? Have the Global Damage Modifier field(s) open (edited) in the screenshot please. 
Is there a way to display the action cost of a spell (action, bonus action, reaction etc) instead of the component requirements (VSM) next to spells on the 5E charecter sheet? I find I need to reference this more than I do the component requirements and it would be nice to be able to quickly scroll through without opening each spell. If this isnt a feature yet, customizing what displays on the spell sheet would be great to add in the future (other ideas would be if its a saving through spell what stat it targets, for example)
Gauss
Forum Champion
StressoEspresso said: Is there a way to display the action cost of a spell (action, bonus action, reaction etc) instead of the component requirements (VSM) next to spells on the 5E charecter sheet? I find I need to reference this more than I do the component requirements and it would be nice to be able to quickly scroll through without opening each spell. If this isnt a feature yet, customizing what displays on the spell sheet would be great to add in the future (other ideas would be if its a saving through spell what stat it targets, for example) I put that in the name, (BA) for example. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That info is not exposed in the header information of the section, unfortunately. There are some Mod scripts that can send a filtered list to chat, but that would require a Pro subscription.

Edited 1710789278
StressoEspresso said: Is there a way to display the action cost of a spell (action, bonus action, reaction etc) instead of the component requirements (VSM) next to spells on the 5E charecter sheet? I find I need to reference this more than I do the component requirements and it would be nice to be able to quickly scroll through without opening each spell. If this isnt a feature yet, customizing what displays on the spell sheet would be great to add in the future (other ideas would be if its a saving through spell what stat it targets, for example) You could use this trick to add colored emoji icons to each spell to help quickly identify casting times for spells. If you use my Statblock MacroMule , the spells chat menu has info buttons next to each spell with a hoverable tooltip that includes the spell casting time.
This may be the dumbest question ever asked on here. I am looking at an old thread ( app.roll20.net/forum/post/4101244/dandd-5e-community-help-me-to-create-a-flurry-of-blows-macro ) and it says: Under Class Actions add Flurry of Blows with melee and ranged attacks ticked in the options and with this as the output:" Where are "Class Actions"? I must have failed my perception check because I can't find it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Chris,  That thread is regarding the D&D 5e Community character sheet which is a different character sheet from the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet.  Chris M. said: This may be the dumbest question ever asked on here. I am looking at an old thread ( app.roll20.net/forum/post/4101244/dandd-5e-community-help-me-to-create-a-flurry-of-blows-macro ) and it says: Under Class Actions add Flurry of Blows with melee and ranged attacks ticked in the options and with this as the output:" Where are "Class Actions"? I must have failed my perception check because I can't find it.
Well now I get it. Thanks Gauss said: Hi Chris,  That thread is regarding the D&D 5e Community character sheet which is a different character sheet from the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet.  Chris M. said: This may be the dumbest question ever asked on here. I am looking at an old thread ( app.roll20.net/forum/post/4101244/dandd-5e-community-help-me-to-create-a-flurry-of-blows-macro ) and it says: Under Class Actions add Flurry of Blows with melee and ranged attacks ticked in the options and with this as the output:" Where are "Class Actions"? I must have failed my perception check because I can't find it.
Why aren't all backgrounds included in the Compendium?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Omar H.  said: Why aren't all backgrounds included in the Compendium? Backgrounds depends on the book(s) you or your Campaign Owner (usually DM) own.  If you or your Campaign Owner do not own the books that have backgrounds in them then they won't be in the Compendium. Excepting the small number that are available as part of the SRD, that is due to WotC, not Roll20.
There are some BUGS with the sheet regarding the Icons. The Settings Menu is no gear anymore, but the anchor and those two other icons: As for Spells Tab when hovering over the "i" Icon: Windows 10, Latest Chrome, NO Jumpgate Game.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi TheMarkus1204,  I am not seeing that on my end.  Which version of Chrome are you using? "Latest" isn't a good method for knowing the version number. 
Gauss said: Hi TheMarkus1204,  I am not seeing that on my end.  Which version of Chrome are you using? "Latest" isn't a good method for knowing the version number.  I am using Version 123.06312.86 (Official Build) (64-bit).
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am using the same version, and also on Win10. I don't have the issue. Sometimes issues like that are local to the computer or a result of internet issues. 
It was strange indeed. However now it seems fixed... Don't know what it was... Gauss said: I am using the same version, and also on Win10. I don't have the issue. Sometimes issues like that are local to the computer or a result of internet issues. 
After adding a level to the div wiz from 4 to 5 the charactermancer set the level to 1? does anyone know a fix

Edited 1712264135
Gauss
Forum Champion
Mowzr said: After adding a level to the div wiz from 4 to 5 the charactermancer set the level to 1? does anyone know a fix Edit the character after using the Charactermancer. The Charactermancer is just the automatic method, there is always manually making adjustments.
I know how to add modifiers to a weapon's properties by editing the item's MOD field, but cannot figure out how to add this: when the item is equipped, it allows the PC to make all constitution saving throws at advantage. For now, the player just has to remember that the item has that ability, but I'd like to automate it for them.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, granting advantage does not have a Mod field code. You could create a custom Action for them, but that's the best I can think of.
Rick A. said: I know how to add modifiers to a weapon's properties by editing the item's MOD field, but cannot figure out how to add this: when the item is equipped, it allows the PC to make all constitution saving throws at advantage. For now, the player just has to remember that the item has that ability, but I'd like to automate it for them. There is no mod for advantage.&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/5th_Edition_OGL_by_Roll20#Mods" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/5th_Edition_OGL_by_Roll20#Mods</a>
Ah, well. It was worth asking. I thought there might have been some obscure way that my searches just weren't finding. keithcurtis said: AFAIK, granting advantage does not have a Mod field code. You could create a custom Action for them, but that's the best I can think of. Jarren said: There is no mod for advantage.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/5th_Edition_OGL_by_Roll20#Mods" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/5th_Edition_OGL_by_Roll20#Mods</a>

Edited 1712619245
Gauss
Forum Champion
Rick A. said: I know how to add modifiers to a weapon's properties by editing the item's MOD field, but cannot figure out how to add this: when the item is equipped, it allows the PC to make all constitution saving throws at advantage. For now, the player just has to remember that the item has that ability, but I'd like to automate it for them. How I handle this in my games is I use Ability macros for skills, feats, etc. Those macros were initially derived from the Token Action Ability macros created by the Token Action Maker script. Then I put a note in the macro to remind players (and me) of what weird bonuses they have etc.&nbsp;
Not sure if this belongs here or not. It's an issue that has been a problem (for me) for a while now. I've complained about it several times in several places, and I hoped it would have been fixed in JumpGate but it hasn't, or maybe it hasn't yet... I don't know. There is a variable (or is it an attribute?) called hp_max that, in my opinion, is being set incorrectly in 5E games for monsters dropped from the Compendium. It appears to be getting set to the AVERAGE value, rather than the MAX value. As an example: an Air Elemental has, in its stat block, the following: Hit Points:&nbsp; 90 (12d10&nbsp; + 24) hp_max is getting set to 90 which is the AVERAGE (12*5.5+24) amount of hp. The MAX is actually 144 (12*10+24). So, what ends up happening is that bar1 gets set to 90/90 which is incorrect. It should be 90/144. I'd really, really like to see this fixed. I believe when I first started using Roll20, 5 or so years ago, this was being done correctly, and somewhere/somewhen it got switched. This becomes a huge PITA when setting up pages, as well as when working with other APIs and macros that depend on bar1 being set correctly. As it is now, I have to manually adjust this every time I drop a token on the map from the compendium.

Edited 1712625748
Saul J. said: Not sure if this belongs here or not. It's an issue that has been a problem (for me) for a while now. I've complained about it several times in several places, and I hoped it would have been fixed in JumpGate but it hasn't, or maybe it hasn't yet... I don't know. There is a variable (or is it an attribute?) called hp_max that, in my opinion, is being set incorrectly in 5E games for monsters dropped from the Compendium. It appears to be getting set to the AVERAGE value, rather than the MAX value. As an example: an Air Elemental has, in its stat block, the following: Hit Points:&nbsp; 90 (12d10&nbsp; + 24) hp_max is getting set to 90 which is the AVERAGE (12*5.5+24) amount of hp. The MAX is actually 144 (12*10+24). So, what ends up happening is that bar1 gets set to 90/90 which is incorrect. It should be 90/144. I'd really, really like to see this fixed. I believe when I first started using Roll20, 5 or so years ago, this was being done correctly, and somewhere/somewhen it got switched. This becomes a huge PITA when setting up pages, as well as when working with other APIs and macros that depend on bar1 being set correctly. As it is now, I have to manually adjust this every time I drop a token on the map from the compendium. Afaik hp_max is how many HP the creature or character has when they are fully healed. So fully healed your creature has 90/90, when they take damage the first number goes down and when they heal it goes up but never above the second figure. hp_max is always set to the average I believe as that is the standard HP for a creature unless you intend to actually roll hit points.

Edited 1712628523
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saul J. said: Not sure if this belongs here or not. It's an issue that has been a problem (for me) for a while now. I've complained about it several times in several places, and I hoped it would have been fixed in JumpGate but it hasn't, or maybe it hasn't yet... I don't know. There is a variable (or is it an attribute?) called hp_max that, in my opinion, is being set incorrectly in 5E games for monsters dropped from the Compendium. It appears to be getting set to the AVERAGE value, rather than the MAX value. As an example: an Air Elemental has, in its stat block, the following: Hit Points:&nbsp; 90 (12d10&nbsp; + 24) hp_max is getting set to 90 which is the AVERAGE (12*5.5+24) amount of hp. The MAX is actually 144 (12*10+24). So, what ends up happening is that bar1 gets set to 90/90 which is incorrect. It should be 90/144. I'd really, really like to see this fixed. I believe when I first started using Roll20, 5 or so years ago, this was being done correctly, and somewhere/somewhen it got switched. This becomes a huge PITA when setting up pages, as well as when working with other APIs and macros that depend on bar1 being set correctly. As it is now, I have to manually adjust this every time I drop a token on the map from the compendium. The number of hitpoints a creature has is what is in the book. As Nicola stated, hp_max is the maximum hp for an undamaged creature. Not a maximum "roll".&nbsp; I am not sure what you are remembering, this is how D&amp;D 5e has been since it started. For example, the Air Elemental stat block in the book (page 124) states the exact same thing: "Hit Points 90 (12d10 + 24)".&nbsp; Thus, the hp_max is being correctly set as 90 as the maximum, or undamaged, amount of hitpoints the creature has.&nbsp;

Edited 1712693462
You are both absolutely wrong. The 90 is the average number of hit points for a creature. It is NOT the maximum. This is how D&amp;D 5E has been since the beginning. The number there is for DMs who don't want to roll out the hit points. If what you say were true, there'd be no point to giving a formula. From the Monster Manual (p.7): "A monster 's hit points are pres ented both as a d ie&nbsp; expression and as an average numb er . For example,&nbsp; a monster with 2d8 hit points has 9 hit points on&nbsp; average (2 x 4.5)." The maximum is, and always has been according to the rules of D&amp;D 5E, the result of the formula. Roll20 is plain doing it wrong. hp_max SHOULD BE the total amount that the formula gives you. There maybe should be another attribute/variable called something like "hp_avg" which is set to the average number. But, hp_max should be the maximum, NOT the average!! Gauss said: Saul J. said: Not sure if this belongs here or not. It's an issue that has been a problem (for me) for a while now. I've complained about it several times in several places, and I hoped it would have been fixed in JumpGate but it hasn't, or maybe it hasn't yet... I don't know. There is a variable (or is it an attribute?) called hp_max that, in my opinion, is being set incorrectly in 5E games for monsters dropped from the Compendium. It appears to be getting set to the AVERAGE value, rather than the MAX value. As an example: an Air Elemental has, in its stat block, the following: Hit Points:&nbsp; 90 (12d10&nbsp; + 24) hp_max is getting set to 90 which is the AVERAGE (12*5.5+24) amount of hp. The MAX is actually 144 (12*10+24). So, what ends up happening is that bar1 gets set to 90/90 which is incorrect. It should be 90/144. I'd really, really like to see this fixed. I believe when I first started using Roll20, 5 or so years ago, this was being done correctly, and somewhere/somewhen it got switched. This becomes a huge PITA when setting up pages, as well as when working with other APIs and macros that depend on bar1 being set correctly. As it is now, I have to manually adjust this every time I drop a token on the map from the compendium. The number of hitpoints a creature has is what is in the book. As Nicola stated, hp_max is the maximum hp for an undamaged creature. Not a maximum "roll".&nbsp; I am not sure what you are remembering, this is how D&amp;D 5e has been since it started. For example, the Air Elemental stat block in the book (page 124) states the exact same thing: "Hit Points 90 (12d10 + 24)".&nbsp; Thus, the hp_max is being correctly set as 90 as the maximum, or undamaged, amount of hitpoints the creature has.&nbsp;

Edited 1712693939
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saul, I think you might be getting confused between "maximum hitpoints" and a Roll20 term "hp_max" "_max" is not the maximum, it is the upper limit of any two values in Roll20 attributes.&nbsp; It has nothing to do with average, maximum, minimum rolls of anything.&nbsp; Here you go:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> Find the section on "max" values.&nbsp; |max and _max are different ways of representing that in the Roll20 language of code.&nbsp; So in the case of current and maximum HP:&nbsp; Your level 2 Fighter with a +2 constitution has 20 hitpoints (assuming 6+2 for level 2). That is a maximum value of 20. (not maximum rolled) They have taken 6 points of damage bringing them to 14 hitpoints. That is current 14.&nbsp; Current vs Maximum.&nbsp; Once again: it has nothing to do with minimum, average, or maximum rolls. It has to do with current value vs maximum value.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Saul! Max refers to the maximum value of the field on that sheet. All numerical character sheet attributes have a current and a max value. The current is used for notekeeping of the current state, the max refers to the value that field has when it is at its full value. This is irrespective of whether it is referring to hit points, speed, or any of the other hundreds of attributes on a sheet. It is not even tied to D&amp;D, but is a feature of character sheets in general. It has nothing to do with the maximum total of possible hit points a D&amp;D monster has. Having a field that is automatically set to the far end of a range of possible values would serve no realistic purpose. This is not an error. Gauss and Nicole are correct on the purpose of the field.

Edited 1712694963
In addition to what others have said concerning the variable hp_max, what would be the use of a variable that supplies the maximum possible value of a formula? If I rolled for individual NPC hit points, I'd rather have a variable that rolled the formula and placed the output into the hp_max field in the token settings.
Gauss said: "_max" is not the maximum, it is the upper limit of any two values in Roll20 attributes.&nbsp; It has nothing to do with average, maximum, minimum rolls of anything.&nbsp; Here you go:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> Find the section on "max" values.&nbsp; |max and _max are different ways of representing that in the Roll20 language of code.&nbsp; I'm not seeing that.&nbsp; I'm not sure if that's how it used to work, but it's not working for me: Test character with 'hp' set to 50 / 100 and this macro: &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=@{selected|token_name}}} {{description=hp: -@{selected|hp}- hp|max: -@{selected|hp|max}- hp_max: -@{selected|hp_max}- hp_max|max: -@{selected|hp_max|max}-}} 'hp_max' is not returning the 'max' value of the 'hp' attribute.&nbsp; It's returning a blank, and the 'hp_max|max' is returning an error 'No attribute was found for @{selected|hp_max}' If I go to the Attributes &amp; Abilities tab and create a new attribute named 'hp_max' and give it the values of 40 / 80 this is the result: So 'hp_max' does not return the same value as 'hp|max' (it just returns a null/blank value).&nbsp; When I change 'hp' to 'strength' in all of these cases, I get error messages for 'strength_max' and 'strength_max|max'. I had the same results with NPCs. Saul J. said: There is a variable (or is it an attribute?) called hp_max that, in my opinion, is being set incorrectly in 5E games for monsters dropped from the Compendium. It appears to be getting set to the AVERAGE value, rather than the MAX value. As an example: an Air Elemental has, in its stat block, the following: Hit Points:&nbsp; 90 (12d10&nbsp; + 24) hp_max is getting set to 90 which is the AVERAGE (12*5.5+24) amount of hp. The MAX is actually 144 (12*10+24). So, what ends up happening is that bar1 gets set to 90/90 which is incorrect. It should be 90/144. I tried on several NPCs, including some that I pulled out fresh from the Monster Manual, and I could not reproduce getting anything for an attribute named 'hp_max'.&nbsp; If you're able to get something different when you use 'hp_max' I'd be interested to see that. Here's a Baboon, and you can see there's no 'hp_max' attribute (and I couldn't find one anywhere else on the A&amp;A tab). There is also no place on the NPC sheet where a 'maximum possible rolled hit points' value is located. I do get a value for 'hp|max', which is the default hit points for that character -- which is the average of the hit point formula 'npc_hpformula', though it's actually manually entered into the 'hp|max' field by whomever created the character, and not autocalculated by the sheetworkers. You can also test that by adjusting the 'Formula' field - the 'Hit Points' field will not automatically change. So you could type 4d40 in the 'Formula' field and put '1' into the 'Hit Points' field, and the sheet won't automatically change the 'Hit Points' to be 82 (which would be the average of 4d40).\
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jarren, In Roll20 hp|max is used in some places while hp_max is used in others. Don't ask me for the details as I am not a programmer. But in the Campaign Details page there is "hp_max" to set the max field for the creature's HP.&nbsp; The problem Saul is having is with conflating a game mechanic of average vs maximum HP with the Roll20 terminology and Attrbute usage.&nbsp;
You're all missing the point. Roll20 has created this variable/attribute called "hp_max". They are ARTIFICIALLY SETTING it to the average &nbsp;number of hit points a monster can have, taken from the stat block. They should NOT BE DOING THIS. It is not I who is conflating things, it's Roll20! The maximum number of hit points should not be the average, and it should not be a default. It is not a maximum in any way, shape or form. You can always set it to another value, you can make the values 100/90, or 90/100 if you want, too. Or even 100/2000 (or whatever maximum Roll20 allows in that field), Hp_max is an ARTIFICIAL construct that Roll20 has created that, the way they are using it, is&nbsp; confusing. It is not the "upper value" of anything. What I am saying is that hp_max should always be whatever the result of the formula is, not anything else. I can parse the formula in a few minutes in most computer languages so it's not hard to do.&nbsp; It's not D&amp;D mechanics, per se, it's what Roll20 is doing with the attribute by default. They have chosen to set the variable, by default, to the average number of hp taken from the stat block. That is the choice Roll20 made. I'm saying, it's the wrong choice. Gauss said: Jarren, In Roll20 hp|max is used in some places while hp_max is used in others. Don't ask me for the details as I am not a programmer. But in the Campaign Details page there is "hp_max" to set the max field for the creature's HP.&nbsp; The problem Saul is having is with conflating a game mechanic of average vs maximum HP with the Roll20 terminology and Attrbute usage.&nbsp;

Edited 1712779954
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saul, Roll20's hp_max does not set an average number of hit points. It is not how it works. Period. It is taking the hitpoints that is on the character sheet and setting it as the maximum value. There is no calculation, no math involved, nothing.&nbsp; 90 (12d10 + 24) is not a calculation. It is a statement right out of the book.&nbsp; hp_max takes the 90 and says that is the maximum hitpoints when it comes to current versus maximum.&nbsp; Again, no calculation.&nbsp; I am sorry but there is really no other way to explain this. It is not a bug. It is a different definition of 'maximum' than the one you are using.&nbsp; Lets ignore Roll20 for a moment.&nbsp; In the book a creature starts with 45 hitpoints, what is it's maximum hitpoints?&nbsp; Answer: 45 Current hitpoints is 45 - any damage it has taken.&nbsp; In the instance of 90 (12d10 + 24) the 12d10 + 24 is 100% irrelevant to what the starting hitpoints are.&nbsp; It is the 90, which is set in the book by Wizards of the Coast. That is what the starting hitpoints are, which is what the max_hp value is using.&nbsp; Now, if you wanted to roll the hitpoints, use the maximum, use the minimum, use the maximum *150%, or any other value that is not 90, you need to change that 90.&nbsp; But Roll20 cannot do all that for you, that falls under house rules.&nbsp;

Edited 1712782966
Saul J. said: You're all missing the point. Roll20 has created this variable/attribute called "hp_max". They are ARTIFICIALLY SETTING it to the average &nbsp;number of hit points a monster can have, taken from the stat block. They should NOT BE DOING THIS. It is not I who is conflating things, it's Roll20! The maximum number of hit points should not be the average, and it should not be a default. Edit: I take it back as I was able to find it.&nbsp; It is a hidden attribute that is set in the 'HIT POINTS' field on the NPC sheet.&nbsp; The number that gets put in there is the 'average' hit points that a creature will have based on their hit point formula, but it is manually entered when the creature is created and added to the compendium.&nbsp;&nbsp; Saul, it sounds like your issue is that the creatures in the compendium are having the 'HIT POINTS'/'hp_max' value set to the average of the hit point formula?&nbsp;&nbsp; That is based on the DMG rules for creating NPCs : Assign Hit Dice . Alternatively, you can assign a number of Hit Dice to a monster, then calculate its average hit points. Don’t worry if the hit points aren’t matching up with the expected challenge rating for the monster. Other factors can affect a monster’s challenge rating, as shown in later steps, and you can always adjust a monster’s Hit Dice and hit points later on. A monster can have as many Hit Dice as you want, but the size of the die used to calculate its hit points depends on the monster’s size, as shown in the Hit Dice by Size table. For example, a Medium monster uses d8s for hit points, so a Medium monster with 5 Hit Dice and a Constitution of 13 (+1 modifier) has 5d8 + 5 hit points. A monster typically has average hit points based on its Hit Dice . For example, a creature with 5d8 + 5 hit points has an average of 27 hit points (5 × 4.5 + 5). What Gauss is saying is that the&nbsp;'hp_max' attribute literally isn't created anywhere on an NPC sheet that I can find.&nbsp; 'hp_max' is not truly it's own attribute.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you're seeing that show up somewhere, I'd love to see a screen shot - it doesn't show up in the list of attributes that can be linked on a token or on the Attributes &amp; Abilities: If you select a token and use this command, what output do you see in the chat window? /w gm hp_max attribute = @{selected|hp_max} This is what I get: Nothing. No value is returned from calling the 'hp_max' attribute.&nbsp; It doesn't exist.&nbsp; But it also doesn't throw a 'No attribute was found for @{selected|hp_max}' error like every other missing attribute call will do. However, in my testing, this special relationship of the '_max' portion of an attribute name only works with the 'hp' attribute, but it still didn't pull the '|max' value from the 'hp' attribute. If a custom attribute named 'hp_max' is created, then that will be referenced by an attribute call.&nbsp; I'm trusting Gauss' statement that the '_max' portion of an attribute gets used elsewhere. 'hp_max' is&nbsp; the same as 'hp|max'. That is all a separate discussion from the values and hit point formulas that NPCs use, and what the defaults are set to on creatures from the compendium.

Edited 1712783286
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jarren, hp_max is on the Campaign Details page in the settings. Then hp_max is used in the programming of the sheet. The field is called attr_hp_max when inspecting.&nbsp; It is worth noting that the character sheet coding for attributes and the attribute command to call that attribute can differ. (Note: I am not a coder, this is just observation based on years of experience with Roll20, a coder can explain it better than I.) Edit: and I see you discovered that. :)

Edited 1712789047
[God, I hate this editor!!] You wrote: Roll20's hp_max does not set an average number of hit points. It is not how it works. Period. It is taking the hitpoints that is on the character sheet and setting it as the maximum value. There is no calculation, no math involved, nothing My response: That's exactly my point. There should be. It should be setting hp_max to whatever the value of the formula comes out to. And, hp_max is currently being set to the average number of hit points. Period. That IS how it works. Period. But, that's not how it SHOULD work. That's what I'm trying to get changed. You wrote: Lets ignore Roll20 for a moment.&nbsp; In the book a creature starts with 45 hitpoints, what is it's maximum hitpoints?&nbsp; Answer: 45 Current hitpoints is 45 - any damage it has taken.&nbsp; My response: No. In the book, no creature starts with any number of hit points. That's a gross misunderstanding of the book, and D&amp;D rules. What's printed in the book, is the AVERAGE number of hit points those monsters are likely to have. But, when the DM puts those creatures down on the table, they can have any number of hit points from 0 to whatever the formula says is the maximum And, they can start with 90 but can go up to any amount to the maximum defined by the formula which could be 100, 120 or 144, or some other number less than 144 (the result of the formula). You wrote: In the instance of 90 (12d10 + 24) the 12d10 + 24 is 100% irrelevant to what the starting hitpoints are.&nbsp; It is the 90, which is set in the book by Wizards of the Coast. That is what the starting hitpoints are, which is what the max_hp value is using.&nbsp; My response: Again, this is a gross misunderstanding of the rules, and what the book says. Again, the 90 is the average number of hit points that those monsters are likely to have. They are not required to have those number of hit points. WoTC never, ever, ever, ever, says that anywhere.&nbsp; The minimum number is 0, the average number is 90, the maximum number is 144 (12*10+24). If the DM wants to roll the number of hit points, randomizing it, the method is 12d10 + 24. THAT'S what WoTC says EVERYWHERE. You wrote: But Roll20 cannot do all that for you, that falls under house rules.&nbsp; My response: No, that's Roll20's rules which is different from WoTC's rules. It's NOT house rules. It's the OFFICIAL rules which Roll20 is deviating from. Roll20 is the one that is imposing house rules by saying that the maximum number of hit points is the same as the average number of hit points. Doing the calculation is a fairly trivial matter and it's what should be done.