Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

keithcurtis said: Lexin said: To Lexin: Stylus is a browser extension that intercepts an incoming web page and alters the styling code before it is rendered in your browser.  Oh, dear. Anything which is going to take me hours to explain to my players, and even longer to get them to install on their browsers, is out, I'm afraid.  I feel your pain. I had to handhold my players through the process. Luckily, Stylus lets you make an export file, so they never have to see any code. Despite that, it took me over half an hour with one of my more tech-challenged players. Most of them did it in a few minutes. Understandable. Using userstyles.world, you can make it even easier by creating a style that is saved online, so all the players have to do is install stylus, then go to the userstyles.world link you provide and click on the ‘Install Style’ button. And it allows you as the style creator to update the style later and it can automatically update for your players. 
So I just noticed that there is a (newish?) type of sheet called Kingdom and I was just wondering if anyone knows what this is, what it's from, and what the mechanics are if one wanted to use it? My apologies if this is really obvious information, but I just couldn't find the answer anywhere I looked. 
The pathfinder path that added the 5e version.
Kilter said: The pathfinder path that added the 5e version. Sorry, I'm baffled (a common situation). What Pathfinder path for 5e?
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11161666/kingmaker-is-now-available-on-the-roll20-marketplace#post-11165523" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11161666/kingmaker-is-now-available-on-the-roll20-marketplace#post-11165523</a> Lexin said: Kilter said: The pathfinder path that added the 5e version. Sorry, I'm baffled (a common situation). What Pathfinder path for 5e?
Right so I have this issue where the features and traits box changes places in dark mode as well as the max hp box. Also when I use brave the death saves icon is gone whether in light or dark mode please help
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Brave is not a supported browser.&nbsp; Do you see the same behavior in Chrome or Firefox?
Yes I do
On a PC sheet, is there any way to set a spell save DC on a per-spell basis? Specifically for use when a character casts a spell from an item that has a save DC different from the character. Ex: Wizard has a spell save DC of 17, but uses a Wand of Polymorph (save DC 15). Can I use a separate version of Polymorph on the wizard's spell tab and somehow set its DC to 15? I can't find any setting or post that suggests this is something the sheet can do, but figured I'd ask here just in case. Thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cody said: On a PC sheet, is there any way to set a spell save DC on a per-spell basis? Specifically for use when a character casts a spell from an item that has a save DC different from the character. Ex: Wizard has a spell save DC of 17, but uses a Wand of Polymorph (save DC 15). Can I use a separate version of Polymorph on the wizard's spell tab and somehow set its DC to 15? I can't find any setting or post that suggests this is something the sheet can do, but figured I'd ask here just in case. Thanks. The spell DC that is displayed beneath each spell is just pulled from the character's Spell DC, and does not represent the DC implied by magic items or monster abilities. A mod script could parse it from the text, but at the moment, I think the only alternative is just to make sure the description of the spell prominently displays the difference. That Spell DC display was added by user request, and is just a simple, handles-90%-of-use-cases solution.
keithcurtis said: Cody said: On a PC sheet, is there any way to set a spell save DC on a per-spell basis? Specifically for use when a character casts a spell from an item that has a save DC different from the character. Ex: Wizard has a spell save DC of 17, but uses a Wand of Polymorph (save DC 15). Can I use a separate version of Polymorph on the wizard's spell tab and somehow set its DC to 15? I can't find any setting or post that suggests this is something the sheet can do, but figured I'd ask here just in case. Thanks. The spell DC that is displayed beneath each spell is just pulled from the character's Spell DC, and does not represent the DC implied by magic items or monster abilities. A mod script could parse it from the text, but at the moment, I think the only alternative is just to make sure the description of the spell prominently displays the difference. That Spell DC display was added by user request, and is just a simple, handles-90%-of-use-cases solution. Oh, that display is great for it's intended function for sure. My use of polymorph was maybe a bad example; it was just the first magic item with its own spell DC that popped into my head. I more meant for the attack macro displayed when you cast a spell. Say it's a fireball from an item with a spell DC of 15. Inside the spell parameters, you can specify the Spellcasting Ability to be used, or specify None, and there's a behind-the-scenes calculation that then displays the save DC for that spell. I was hoping there'd be some hidden thing I'd never encountered before that let me just supply a flat number there. Was pretty sure there wasn't, but I always stumble across little gems in the forums. That said, I can just make a note at the bottom of the spell description for most of those cases that the DC is different.&nbsp; Thanks, Keith.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here is an example of how I deal with it:&nbsp; Player has a magic item that casts Fireball. I change the spell from Attack to Spellcard (attacks cannot have flat DCs if they are linked to a spell).&nbsp; Bolded sections are the ones that are altered. Underline is the addition.&nbsp; "A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC [[21]] Dexterity saving throw . A target takes [[8d6]] (8d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried. **Note: Remove a charge from shield's charges.**" Compared to normal Fireball:&nbsp; "A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw . A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried." I alter all spells that do not use d20 attacks in this way, there is no reason to have them on the attack section. Having the DC in the spellcard description makes it easier to find (it is highlighted yellow). The damage is right there too. :)
Heya, New to roll20. Would like to try adding a few things to the default character sheet, is there anywhere I can download the html/css/json of this sheet so I can tweak it as a custom sheet?
Sadly not! The official 5E Sheet is closed source although there might be some outdated code to be found... Kiingy said: Heya, New to roll20. Would like to try adding a few things to the default character sheet, is there anywhere I can download the html/css/json of this sheet so I can tweak it as a custom sheet?

Edited 1669144593
Gauss said: Here is an example of how I deal with it:&nbsp; Player has a magic item that casts Fireball. I change the spell from Attack to Spellcard (attacks cannot have flat DCs if they are linked to a spell).&nbsp; Bolded sections are the ones that are altered. Underline is the addition.&nbsp; "A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC [[21]] Dexterity saving throw . A target takes [[8d6]] (8d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried. **Note: Remove a charge from shield's charges.**" Compared to normal Fireball:&nbsp; "A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw . A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried." I alter all spells that do not use d20 attacks in this way, there is no reason to have them on the attack section. Having the DC in the spellcard description makes it easier to find (it is highlighted yellow). The damage is right there too. :) Just be sure that if you are changing something from a compendium entry, alter the name as well!&nbsp; If you leave an altered Fireball spell as "Fireball", the compendium could revert it back to its form.&nbsp; Simply changing it to "Fireball (updated)" could do the trick. Also, as far as wand charges.&nbsp; If you have the API, you could use ChatSetAttr to alter the number of charges using !modbattr.&nbsp; You will also want to put something in the innate/ per day line so it doesn't deduct a spell slot. This isn't the only way though.&nbsp; I think supplying an ammo attribute to a spell by bypassing in the description &gt;&gt;~~~&gt; MAY &lt;~~~&lt;&lt; work, but if the full spell description has ammo after the description attribute, the last (null) will take effect.&nbsp; Also, if the spell template doesn't have the ammo attribute, it will just be ignored or worse, break the template. In either case, in the description at the bottom, do this: ChatSetAttr: }} !modbattr {{ --charid @{character_id} --other_resource|-1 Ammo: }} ammo=@{CHARACTERNAME|other_resource} in both cases, we leave off any double curly braces, as the original description's curly braces will be put in. If we ever wanted to do a complete interrupt of the rest of the template, we'd first need to know what the stuff behind the description attribute says and plan accordingly.&nbsp; To do that, click the spell, item, or attack; then press the up arrow in chat.&nbsp; Copy the original, such as mine from a whip attack: @{Amarissa Coppernick|wtype}&amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+11}} {{rname=Whip}} {{r1=[[@{Amarissa Coppernick|d20}cs&gt;20 + 5[DEX] + 6[PROF]]]}} @{Amarissa Coppernick|rtype}cs&gt;20 + 5[DEX] + 6[PROF] + 2[Dueling Fighting Style]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=Melee, Reach}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d4 + 5[DEX]]]}} {{dmg1type=Slashing}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[1d4[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=}} 0 {{desc= }}&nbsp;&nbsp; {{spelllevel=}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{Amarissa Coppernick|charname_output} To alter it - making it a magical whip with charges, I might make another attack and do this in the description: @{Amarissa Coppernick|wtype}&amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+11}} {{rname=Whip of Lashing (use 1 charge) }} {{r1=[[@{Amarissa Coppernick|d20}cs&gt;20 + 5[DEX] + 6[PROF]]]}} @{Amarissa Coppernick|rtype}cs&gt;20 + 5[DEX] + 6[PROF] + 2[Dueling Fighting Style]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=Melee, Reach}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d4 + 5[DEX]]]}} {{dmg1type=Slashing}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=[[2d6]]}} {{dmg2type=Lashing/ Slashing (Magical)}} {{crit1=[[1d4[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[2d6[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc= This magical whip splits into 3 tails when used to attack and a charge is spent, doing an additional 2d6 damage on a hit }}&nbsp;&nbsp; {{spelllevel=}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{Amarissa Coppernick|other resource} @{Amarissa Coppernick|charname_output} !. }}&nbsp;&nbsp; {{spelllevel=}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{Amarissa Coppernick|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{Amarissa Coppernick|charname_output} What will happen there is: The name has been changed to "Whip of Lashing (use 1 charge) " to prevent the compendium from rewriting the Whip We gave the whip a description and then added the rest of the information from the template (things in bold italics ) We also added the ammo information to have it deduct from " Other Resource " when this attack is used (assuming other_resource is where the Whip of Lashing's charges are located) Very importantly, we dropped down to a new line and put in the !. character at the beginning of the line.&nbsp; This will cause the rest of the template information from the original description and afterward to break, so that it won't print to the chat or interfere with output at all.&nbsp; We must remind ourselves that the original template is hard-coded, so our interruption is only temporary.&nbsp; To make it permanent, we have to - in a weird way - comment it away by confusing it; in a way that doesn't break the running game.&nbsp; Using a new line and "!." does that perfectly. As another fun trick, I have used that little " !. " trick to interrupt API calls in macros before via query: !?{Do I want this macro to run?|No,.|Yes,}this-api --parameters --blah|blah --something|somehow
Kiingy said: Heya, New to roll20. Would like to try adding a few things to the default character sheet, is there anywhere I can download the html/css/json of this sheet so I can tweak it as a custom sheet? Were you to wish picking up a sheet that is no longer maintained by its creator - for the 5e D&amp;D system - might I suggest the Shaped 5e Sheet ?&nbsp; The bones of it are there, but Kryx has retired from it's service a ways back (Not sure when exactly, but around when Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes came out, so around 2018).&nbsp; I'm sure he would give anyone the rights to pick up where he and Lucian left off with the Sheet and it's API, so long as they are credited with the original code before your adjustments.&nbsp; And please, should you update it, please make it available to all through github!&nbsp; This was a community inspired project and reached top tier when it was maintained.&nbsp; Since then, many features started breaking under changes in Roll20 architecture, and causes a few problems running some of the more important parts of the API; particularly when importing monsters, spells, and items from compendiums newer than 2018.
Why did Bio tab get moved?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Daeva said: Why did Bio tab get moved? Here you go:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11171106/coming-soon-moving-character-sheet-tab-before-bio-and-info-tab" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11171106/coming-soon-moving-character-sheet-tab-before-bio-and-info-tab</a>
Can I take a moment to beg, plead, and grovel for the sheet to move the descriptions to the very end of the roll templates?&nbsp; Two current examples: AtkDmg: &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=mod}} {{rname=rname}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{attack=1}} {{range=range}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=dmg1}} {{dmg1type=dmg1type}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=dmg2}} {{dmg2type=dmg2type}} {{crit1=crit1}} {{crit2=crit2}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=saveattr}} {{savedesc=savedesc}} {{savedc=savedc}} {{desc=desc}} {{hldmg=hldmg}} {{spelllevel=spelllevel}} ammo=ammo {{charname=charname}} Spells: &amp;{template:spell} {{level=school level}} {{name=name}} {{castingtime=castingtime}} {{range=range}} {{target=target}} {{v=1}} {{s=1}} {{m=1}} {{material=material}} {{duration=duration}} {{description=description}} {{athigherlevels=athigherlevels}} {{ritual=1}} {{concentration=1}} {{charname=charname}} Changed to: AtkDmg: &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=mod}} {{rname=rname}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{attack=1}} {{range=range}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=dmg1}} {{dmg1type=dmg1type}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=dmg2}} {{dmg2type=dmg2type}} {{crit1=crit1}} {{crit2=crit2}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=saveattr}} {{savedesc=savedesc}} {{savedc=savedc}} {{hldmg=hldmg}} {{spelllevel=spelllevel}} ammo=ammo {{charname=charname}} {{desc=desc}} Spells: &amp;{template:spell} {{level=school level}} {{name=name}} {{castingtime=castingtime}} {{range=range}} {{target=target}} {{v=1}} {{s=1}} {{m=1}} {{material=material}} {{duration=duration}} {{athigherlevels=athigherlevels}} {{ritual=1}} {{concentration=1}} {{charname=charname}} {{description=description}} This, because we'd all like to have on-use macros out of the descriptive fields and be able to override whatever precedes the above (maybe putting in custom rolls, etc... Also - has anyone else had issues with higher spell level casting not being requested on cast?&nbsp; For us, it seems to always cast at default level, not even asking for a higher level casting.
Just finished my weekly game. No one noticed this problem and we had a huge fight this week. Wolf Thunderspirit said: Also - has anyone else had issues with higher spell level casting not being requested on cast?&nbsp; For us, it seems to always cast at default level, not even asking for a higher level casting.
Saul J. said: Just finished my weekly game. No one noticed this problem and we had a huge fight this week. Wolf Thunderspirit said: Also - has anyone else had issues with higher spell level casting not being requested on cast?&nbsp; For us, it seems to always cast at default level, not even asking for a higher level casting. Yeah, seems to have been fixed.&nbsp; Tuesday it started asking again ... IDK ...

Edited 1669918353
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I feel like I'm missing something here. You can put the roll template components in any order you want. Can you show me an example of incorporating the additional macro? Wolf Thunderspirit said: Can I take a moment to beg, plead, and grovel for the sheet to move the descriptions to the very end of the roll templates?&nbsp; Two current examples: AtkDmg: &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=mod}} {{rname=rname}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{attack=1}} {{range=range}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=dmg1}} {{dmg1type=dmg1type}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=dmg2}} {{dmg2type=dmg2type}} {{crit1=crit1}} {{crit2=crit2}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=saveattr}} {{savedesc=savedesc}} {{savedc=savedc}} {{desc=desc}} {{hldmg=hldmg}} {{spelllevel=spelllevel}} ammo=ammo {{charname=charname}} Spells: &amp;{template:spell} {{level=school level}} {{name=name}} {{castingtime=castingtime}} {{range=range}} {{target=target}} {{v=1}} {{s=1}} {{m=1}} {{material=material}} {{duration=duration}} {{description=description}} {{athigherlevels=athigherlevels}} {{ritual=1}} {{concentration=1}} {{charname=charname}} Changed to: AtkDmg: &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{mod=mod}} {{rname=rname}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{attack=1}} {{range=range}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=dmg1}} {{dmg1type=dmg1type}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=dmg2}} {{dmg2type=dmg2type}} {{crit1=crit1}} {{crit2=crit2}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=saveattr}} {{savedesc=savedesc}} {{savedc=savedc}} {{hldmg=hldmg}} {{spelllevel=spelllevel}} ammo=ammo {{charname=charname}} {{desc=desc}} Spells: &amp;{template:spell} {{level=school level}} {{name=name}} {{castingtime=castingtime}} {{range=range}} {{target=target}} {{v=1}} {{s=1}} {{m=1}} {{material=material}} {{duration=duration}} {{athigherlevels=athigherlevels}} {{ritual=1}} {{concentration=1}} {{charname=charname}} {{description=description}} This, because we'd all like to have on-use macros out of the descriptive fields and be able to override whatever precedes the above (maybe putting in custom rolls, etc... Also - has anyone else had issues with higher spell level casting not being requested on cast?&nbsp; For us, it seems to always cast at default level, not even asking for a higher level casting.

Edited 1669918892
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Brian C. &nbsp;said: I feel like I'm missing something here. You can put the roll template components in any order you want. Can you show me an example of incorporating the additional macro? Although you can manually construct them any way you want, the description does not come last as sent by the sheet. There was a trick a lot of people used to use to insert macro code into the description field of an attack by beginning it with "}}" that has been unavailable for several years, due to a re-order,
There's now a charactermancer button on the 5E sheet front page.&nbsp; I am not a fan. First, why is it bright red on a character who doesn't have enough XP to level up (one who never used the charactermancer in the past). This is just confusing. Second, why is it even present when the game settings are set to "don't use charactermancer for new characters"? Third, if you try it, there's an "opt out" setting, but all it does is return you do the sheet unchanged.&nbsp; It doesn't actually "opt out" and remove the button. My table moved from real-world to virtual a couple of years ago, and still uses hardcover books, not electronic.&nbsp; We can't use the charactermancer for most of the classes my players play, and I don't feel like spending an extra couple-hundred to enable it, since it wasn't all that impressive when we first tried it. Can we get a "really don't use charactermancer at all" setting in game settings as part of this, please? Ken
This is silly and confusing. The only time the button should be there is if the game is using the charactermancer and that particular character has enough xp to level up. My players and I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to figure out why it was there. There was no explanation from staff, no announcement, nothing. Just the change that happened without any warning or notice. Ken S. said: There's now a charactermancer button on the 5E sheet front page.&nbsp; I am not a fan. First, why is it bright red on a character who doesn't have enough XP to level up (one who never used the charactermancer in the past). This is just confusing. Second, why is it even present when the game settings are set to "don't use charactermancer for new characters"? Third, if you try it, there's an "opt out" setting, but all it does is return you do the sheet unchanged.&nbsp; It doesn't actually "opt out" and remove the button. My table moved from real-world to virtual a couple of years ago, and still uses hardcover books, not electronic.&nbsp; We can't use the charactermancer for most of the classes my players play, and I don't feel like spending an extra couple-hundred to enable it, since it wasn't all that impressive when we first tried it. Can we get a "really don't use charactermancer at all" setting in game settings as part of this, please? Ken
Saul J. said: My players and I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to figure out why it was there. There was no explanation from staff, no announcement, nothing. Just the change that happened without any warning or notice. It was posted in the changelog:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log</a> Seems like Roll20's product team has been much more active lately, I've been making it a habit to check the changelog before every session, just in case.
It wasn't &nbsp;in the change log a few minutes before my game. I checked, as I check every week. Yawp said: Saul J. said: My players and I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to figure out why it was there. There was no explanation from staff, no announcement, nothing. Just the change that happened without any warning or notice. It was posted in the changelog:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log</a> Seems like Roll20's product team has been much more active lately, I've been making it a habit to check the changelog before every session, just in case.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Saul J. said: This is silly and confusing. The only time the button should be there is if the game is using the charactermancer and that particular character has enough xp to level up. As someone who doesn't use XP and uses milestone, I'm glad to have the option to use it without requiring values in the xp field. And as a DM who constantly has to explain to players how to launch the charactermancer, being more prominent isn't bad. That said, I'd also be happy if this was a toggle element so those who don't use the 'mancer can turn it off.
A couple of my players have now leveled up when they were not supposed to. This needs to be removed.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: A couple of my players have now leveled up when they were not supposed to. This needs to be removed. Can't keep themselves from pushing the "big red button" eh? :)
Yes, it is problem. They didn't know what the experience point thresholds are and rather than look it up assumed that the "big red button" worked the same way as the old button, only appearing when the thresholds are reached. They have apologized but I am telling them that it is not their fault, it is Roll20 being stupid again and not considering the players. Now they are trying to figure out how to back out of the updates to their character sheets. One player went from level 6 to level 9 before realizing that something was wrong.
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: A couple of my players have now leveled up when they were not supposed to. This needs to be removed. I can see my players doing this if they're not careful- and they're very much not experts on the character sheets. As it is, I can't see which of them have levelled up and which have yet to do it.&nbsp;

Edited 1670528729
Falk
Plus
Seriously, it isvery little work for a DM to look up the experience points needed for a level - and this button is dangerous all the time as long as there is no "undo" option.
I haven't found any work-around for the "spam the red button" issue.&nbsp; I have sent a note to my players, perhaps half will read the warning.
This feels so unnecessary. I was fine with hidden on the setting tab. It would at least be nice to have it toggle off before thresholds are hit, if you choose to use it.&nbsp;
Thing is, it STILL IS on the Settings Tab... I REALLY don't understand why they decided to put it there as well and then don't give us the option to disable Charactermancer completely! (@Roll20 Team: Not everyone uses the charactermancer ;) ) Matthias said: This feels so unnecessary. I was fine with hidden on the setting tab. It would at least be nice to have it toggle off before thresholds are hit, if you choose to use it.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Actually, didn't it used to appear in black, next to the XP total when you reached the threshhold?
keithcurtis said: Actually, didn't it used to appear in black, next to the XP total when you reached the threshhold? Yes, that was where it was, and it was just fine like that. They could just have coloured it red if they wanted it to be more obvious.&nbsp;
I wonder if it'd be possible to implement a toggle on using charactermancer or disabling it completely... ... ...

Edited 1670598112
Yeah - putting that on the core tab should be optional like all the other settings. Getting back to my response, keithcurtis said: Brian C. &nbsp;said: I feel like I'm missing something here. You can put the roll template components in any order you want. Can you show me an example of incorporating the additional macro? Although you can manually construct them any way you want, the description does not come last as sent by the sheet. There was a trick a lot of people used to use to insert macro code into the description field of an attack by beginning it with "}}" that has been unavailable for several years, due to a re-order, You can still do it, but its a lot more coding than before.&nbsp; Essentially, it means letting it go through once, copying everything after "{{desc=&lt;content...&gt;" and inserting it in the description with the "}}..." from desc on.&nbsp; Then after, hitting a new line, inserting macro code, hitting another new line with "!." on it.&nbsp; By then, your attack, spell, trait, whatever looks more like programming than D&amp;D until its clicked into chat. Onto new business though: When was the last time this Mod Info was updated?: 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion Version: [Latest] Authors: Steve K., Chris M., Christopher D. Enhances the Official 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Character Sheet. The Companion currently supports Ammo Tracking, Automatic NPC Tokens, Automatic Death Save Tracking, and Automatic Spell Slot Tracking. API Commands: !5ehelp - Gives a list of the script's API commands in the chat tab. !5estatus - Lists the current status of the script's features in the chat tab. !ammotracking on/off/player/quiet - Automatically expends linked resource when attack is made. !autonpctoken on/off - Automatically generates a NPC token on the GM's screen based on the default token when an NPC's health calculation is rolled !deathsavetracking on/off/player/quiet - Automatically ticks off successes and failures when death saves are rolled, clearing on death, stabilization, or hp recovery !spelltracking on/off/player/quiet - Automatically expends spell charges as cast, factoring in higher level casting !longrest character name - If spelltracking is on, this command will reset all of the character's spell slots to unspent. !npchp character name - Rolls NPC hit point totals using their formula and updates the token bar. If no character name is provided it will roll the selected tokens. Options: on - Toggles the functionality on (default) off - Disables the functionality player - Maintains functionality but only sends data to the GM and the player involved. quiet - Maintains functionality while preventing results from being output to the chat. Ammo Tracking: Directions for ammo tracking can be found in the wiki . You can spend more than one piece of ammunition per shot by adding a number after the name of the ammunition resource and a comma. (ex. Arrows,2 ) There's no new info as it pertains to the sheet functions, such as !shortrest ?&nbsp; And !npchp Character Name doesn't seem to work anymore.&nbsp; Instead of putting pretty red charactermancer buttons where they don't need to be, can the dev team get back to some basics?&nbsp; Maybe update old news, provide working functions, etc?&nbsp; I don't know why development teams tend to work on "New Features" without making sure they haven't broken or depricated the old - I saw this in DDO, big time!&nbsp; Now Roll20 seems to be going that route. This past weekend, my game became unplayable, requiring me to restart my instance every time I moved my tokens or deducted HP.&nbsp; I'm pulling my game (and Sub) from here to another VTT because of that.&nbsp; But I still play with another group here, where I help them with their macro coding.&nbsp; It'd be nice if I could get her tokens to drop on the board with the HP rolled, but it doesn't.&nbsp; So I tried " !npchp @{selected|character_name} " and absolutely nothing happens!&nbsp; This is what I learned from going to the API Scripts page ... why doesn't it work?&nbsp; Why are we worried about putting charactermancer buttons on the character sheets when the API is malfunctioning/ uninformative?&nbsp; I'm a little miffed, and more than baffled.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just to clear up a few potential misconceptions about the&nbsp;5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion: Despite the "by Roll20" in the title and the original author (and despite what the wiki says in some places), the script is actually a community script, as I have been told by the oldest hands. Anyone can update that script. It's not officially maintained or supported by the Roll20 dev team. The last update was nearly 4 1/2 years ago. !shortrest is not a sheet function; it's an API call. The sheet function is&nbsp;%{short_rest}. These are totally different things, and the script documentation doesn't have anything to do with those sheet buttons. In any case, the shortcomings of the Companion Script have resulted in at least three alternate rest scripts and the sheet buttons. !npchp is a very misleading (and hence, fairly useless) function. In order for it to work, the bar must be linked to "hp", whereas the most common practice is to insert values and unlink the bars, so that you can use them as mooks. If you bar 1 to hp, it works as advertised, but it's never been very useful. I'd suggest&nbsp;MonsterHitDice by the Aaron if you want this functionality. In short, it's a woefully out of date community script. There are better alternatives for nearly every function.
keithcurtis said: In short, it's a woefully out of date community script. There are better alternatives for nearly every function. Can you list them? Because I don't know what I'm looking for.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Lexin! Sure thing. For Recoveries: Rest and Recovery 5e Resting in Style Sheet buttons For Hit Points of Monsters MonsterHitDice For Ammo tracking: Ammo (Rest and Recovery has an ammo recovery command) deathsavetracking is now handled by the sheet, IIRC, though the recovery buttons do not reset the saves/fails.
Hey there folks, We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience the new level up button may have brought to some of you. With that said, this feature was pushed live after a good amount of feedback from players who played by milestone or could not find the little black button once the character reached the XP threshold to go to the next level. We did not anticipate some players would go through a full level up once they saw the button, at the opposite, we thought that they would cancel Charactermancer and leave knowing about the new possibility. We are evaluating how to improve this to serve all players. Jonh P. , please don’t release a demon lord on your players.
The spell drop from compendium feature hasn't worked for me for over a year. Any idea what's wrong? I've done the usual troubleshooting.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Miguel P. said: Hey there folks, We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience the new level up button may have brought to some of you. With that said, this feature was pushed live after a good amount of feedback from players who played by milestone or could not find the little black button once the character reached the XP threshold to go to the next level. We did not anticipate some players would go through a full level up once they saw the button, at the opposite, we thought that they would cancel Charactermancer and leave knowing about the new possibility. We are evaluating how to improve this to serve all players. Jonh P. , please don’t release a demon lord on your players. Simplest solution: enable turning it on and off. Some of us don't even use the Charactermancer (I don't).&nbsp; It's presence should be tied to whether or not you have the Charactermancer enabled at level 1 by default (Campaign Details page).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gauss said: It's presence should be tied to whether or not you have the Charactermancer enabled at level 1 by default (Campaign Details page). This is a good suggestion, since if you didn't start with Charactermancer, chancers are that Level Up will fail. And there is already an attribute or two that indicate the choice of having used Charactermancer during creation. I'd much rather that than a toggle. If every new feature were accompanied by a toggle not to use it, Roll20 would be a confusing morass of choices and extremely difficult to troubleshoot.
Miguel P. said: Hey there folks, We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience the new level up button may have brought to some of you. With that said, this feature was pushed live after a good amount of feedback from players who played by milestone or could not find the little black button once the character reached the XP threshold to go to the next level. ... One thought would be releasing a community poll before working on developing these features.&nbsp; That would drive community engagement, make people feel like you are actually listening to them, and get ahead of any potential negatives. Another would be to release the feature on the DEV server and then ask for feedback on the feature. Another would be to make the feature optional and require it to be enabled, and then ask for feedback. Seems like there would be a lot of ways to get feedback on a feature rather than releasing to users and forcing them to accept the change without any ability to opt-out. -Adam
Miguel P. said: We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience the new level up button may have brought to some of you. With that said, this feature was pushed live after a good amount of feedback from players who played by milestone or could not find the little black button once the character reached the XP threshold to go to the next level. We did not anticipate some players would go through a full level up once they saw the button, at the opposite, we thought that they would cancel Charactermancer and leave knowing about the new possibility. We are evaluating how to improve this to serve all players. Jonh P. , please don’t release a demon lord on your players. I don't understand why this needed to be changed. When the level up button would show up next to the experience points only when the level threshold was reached was helpful, the new way is unhelpful to the point of causing a lot of pain in the game. It should be restored back to the old way and as Gauss pointed out it should be made an option on the Campaign Details page. Roll20 you've done it again, instead of fixing what what needs to be fixed you have broken something else.
As someone who has only ever played by milestone or DM-tracked "group xp", the new button is a helpful addition and welcome surprise. I didn't even know that a similar button is supposed to show up next to the XP bar when it's time to level up. But I have had to explain to new players multiple times how to find the charactermancer for leveling up.