Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

Pat
Pro
API Scripter
My group has been playing for two years - they revisit locations so there's no permanent archiving for me - I have 100+ maps that I now have to navigate... it's becoming an issue every session. 
+1 from me too. My entire campaign lives in roll20, soooo many pages! Definitely needs to be a way to organise the maps. Fullscreen page bar would be a step in right direction also. Please please please give us page folders!
Keeping all the maps in order is a nightmare....even if we can't create folders, give us the ability to Filter/sort the maps. Then I can name them and filter to the appropriate subset of maps: Lich_Tomb_lvl1...lvl100 Town_Willow_scene1...scene100 etc.  
Really sad to see that this has yet to even be discussed by the admins/techs. I feel like it would be rather simple?
Do we have an ETA yet?  The announcement of Page Categories was 7 or 8 months ago.  We should have had a least a beta version by now.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Chells said: Do we have an ETA yet?&nbsp; The announcement of Page Categories was 7 or 8 months ago.&nbsp; We should have had a least a beta version by now. From a recent Roll20 post, I think this is a small part of a much larger project, so I don't think we will see this until the larger project gets released. If you haven't looked at the question thread in the announcements forum, I am getting this main from this specific post: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10932147/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10932147/</a>
Hi I'm new on this thread, and just came from&nbsp; <a href="https://portal.productboard.com/roll20/1-roll20-portal/c/205-page-menu-organization" rel="nofollow">https://portal.productboard.com/roll20/1-roll20-portal/c/205-page-menu-organization</a> Does anyone know if we would be able with this to unable some players to navigate between 2 maps (a feature that would let the player to click the page toolbar and open another map that the DM has given him permission to see this way)? I would love to use it in order to let my players see the campaing map whenever and also for inventory management reasons (I made a map so that they can just throw all of their items there)

Edited 1657993724
Pat said: My group has been playing for two years - they revisit locations so there's no permanent archiving for me - I have 100+ maps that I now have to navigate... it's becoming an issue every session.&nbsp; As the originator of this seven year old thread, with just as many maps, I can sympathize. Roll20 made an announcement back in late April that they'd finally get around to this but no specific ETA was given. Here's hoping.
Really just getting into GMing but this feature is a must have. I've barely begun but I need this feature. +1'd this because it was needed years ago.
I worked around this issue using colored pages, like you would use to navigate a binder more effectively. It would be pretty nice to have actual folders in the page menu. +1

Edited 1660357588
I'm like fairly sure that if you dig there are a few responses from me here in this thread, but I am going to offer again what I do for my 473 and counting pages to keep them even remotely &nbsp;organized.&nbsp; Name them very carefully (ex: 001. Nature: Thick Jungle Road down through things like 038. Story Finale: Necromancer Boss Arena) and then archive them. It's the closest you'll get to organization. Its a super pain in the butt to do if you've already got hundreds of pages, but I assure you one afternoon of opening, renaming and archiving again is better than constantly searching through a super filled up menu. Also you can circumvent your numbers with periods before the numbers (ex: .021) if you want to keep a small selection at the top. I do these for player home bases and our most use market or town areas as well.&nbsp; Keep like maps together. So in my Nature example, those would be all the maps I have that are natural spaces, lakes, forests, deserts, snowy biomes. I also have things like fantasy that are nature areas with obvious magical influences. And then each major city has its own number and the maps are organized within that number.&nbsp; Finally I do screencaps of the whole map zoomed all the way out and then put that on the back most of the map layer hidden under everything else but making sure its the biggest thing on the map so that I can have proper map icons. Images linked.
I added +1 on this a while back. But in addition, if you have PRO, you can install this script which at least shows you what you have in any given campaign in regards to file types and how much memory each file is using. I've found it useful in the absence of a good organization tool:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10675897/script-campaign-survey/?pageforid=10675897#post-10675897" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10675897/script-campaign-survey/?pageforid=10675897#post-10675897</a>
I have resorted to using the names of the pages to 'somewhat' sort my archive, but I can't upvote this suggestion enough! A folder structure would be so much easier.
Yes please!&nbsp; Folders and organizational tools for GMs!&nbsp; +1 from me.
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1666630299
+1 As of right now, working with how it's setup is truly a nightmare
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1 One of the biggest flaw on Roll20 It's really hard to scroll between so many maps 7 years thread, a little bit worrying
No worries.&nbsp; I'm certain they get right to it.&nbsp; Some day.&nbsp; Perhaps before a usable alternative show ups.
+1
+1&nbsp; I have so many maps, gameplay slows down while I try to navigate the mess.&nbsp; I am currently trying to organise in a way that is easier to use. Folders for maps would be AMAZING!
+1
+1 I am happy to know I am not the only one who needs more folder structure to organize my maps.&nbsp;
+1 Using multiple campaigns to organize maps, to make it easier on myself.&nbsp; So say one region is campaign one, then next region is campaign two Import characters and done. However it is a pain to do (especially if the players want to go back to places in campaign one from two, or campaign three, etc) and this would make it so much easier on everyone to have the pages in one campaign but organized with folders.
+1
+1 from me. We need this!
+1. Please
+1. This should have been a feature ages ago, prioritized over many others.
+1 again just give us an folder system :-(
+1 !&nbsp;
+1
+1.&nbsp; Also, is there a way to expand the pages list to more than two rows of pages at a time?&nbsp; I have &gt;100 pages for some of my games and it would be great to be able to expand the pages list to fill the screen.

Edited 1673703979
I found this method described in a YouTube video by StreamersVsChat ( <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0y8lBgJbYE" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0y8lBgJbYE</a> ) Create a new Chrome bookmark (I called it Roll20 Map Selection), then edit it by placing the following in the URL field: javascript:(function(){ $('#page-toolbar').height('800px');$('#page-toolbar .container').css({height: '800px','white-space': 'normal'});}()); While in your game, clicking on this bookmark will increase the height of the page toolbar. The toolbar will come up blank at first, but opening the page bar ever time after that will show multiple rows of pages. This setting lasts only until you close the game, so you'll&nbsp; need to run the script again when you reopen it. Dave said: +1.&nbsp; Also, is there a way to expand the pages list to more than two rows of pages at a time?&nbsp; I have &gt;100 pages for some of my games and it would be great to be able to expand the pages list to fill the screen.
Rick A, that is a great work around solution.&nbsp; Thank you.
+1. I'm glad Windows and Doors have been added - huge boon for dynamic lighting - but how is it that this highly-requested feature has been sitting for seven years ? Are most users constantly creating new campaigns and shuffling characters back and forth every time the DM wants to keep a handful of related maps together?
+1. Campaign organisation in general should be a lot better in Roll20.
To be honest, I didn't check 14 comment pages. Has Roll20 team ever given an answer in this 7 year thread? Also "not technically possible" could be an answer.
+1
+1 in general, but I would add an option to view more than a short bit of the name of a map.&nbsp; It's fine and dandy to organize then via name, and archive them, which I do for both of my campaigns.&nbsp; However, we only get a fairly short 20 or 21 characters of the name that are actually visible... so being able to have those names wrap and have more than a single line of text visible would be a great addition.&nbsp;&nbsp;
+1 We have folders since Windows 3.0 and directories since forever. This ist NOT hard to implement. It's literally ONE database table storing folder name, folder id, sort order and map id. perhaps two tables if you like normalization. Guess there must be something political at play like "We don't want to give that feature to the DMs/GMs for they would store too much maps on our servers if it were too comfortable to have many maps in one campaign."

Edited 1674490070
I think you might be on to something Daemon.&nbsp; That's one of the few rationales that fits.&nbsp; I have to wonder if Roll20 will change the tune they dance by when the new and "improved" OGL is released.&nbsp; Maybe that will prompt them to get off their bottoms and give us what we have been asking for.
+1
+1