Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Pins linked to Handouts

Score + 665
Similar to the way Tokens can be linked to a character and accessed with a Shift-DoubleClick, I'd like to have "map pins" that link to Handouts. Map pins: would have selectable image, like tokens do, for different types of pins. could be marked as visible/not visible to player or players could be clickable/not clickable by player or players properties such as above in a pop-up like tokens have on double-click or w/e on ShiftDoubleClick, open linked Handout like tokens can open a character. If the map pin is visible to players it doesnt automatically mean the Handout is viewable. If the pin is viewable and clickable by the players, and the Handout is viewable, they get to see the handout DM always sees the handout if linked This would be handy for adding info about explored regions of a map, especially if the players can edit the text of the handout for themselves. There is a workaround I have been using for flavor-text, but it's inconvenient: I add a token on the GM layer, link the token to a fake character. In the character's Bio, I [link] to the Handout I want. When characters reach the point on the map where the pin is, I drop to the GM layer, shift-doubleclick the token, then click the handout link in the character bio that pops up. Once i have the handout on screen, I can share it to the players. Then I have a lot of windows to close and return the the Token layer. This feature would greatly streamline this process, and  would be very useful to GMs just for map notations. Being able to easily send points of interest tot he players is an added bonus. Thanks for considering this feature!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
+1
+1
+1
Are you saying a function similar to how google maps works, where you click on a pin and get to see some info about that location? That would be fantastic. I love it.
Yes, a single click could pop up a info bubble like Google Maps; a double-click would open the linked Handout.
This would be super helpful for DM notes as well.
I really would like that. +1
+1 I need this !
+1 for this.  Would be absolutely great on some of my CofD games.
Realmworks does this &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XaesdZD26s&index=1&list=PLV5XWfKkFpk6_sDYWWKwvP8zs_qVSrzoM" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XaesdZD26s&index=1&list=PLV5XWfKkFpk6_sDYWWKwvP8zs_qVSrzoM</a>
I have been trying to find a way to do this. &nbsp;I figure it should be fairly easy to implement. If the developers just allow the gm notes section to link to journal entries or handouts, you could use a token in the DM layer to describe certain locations or encounters on the map.
I have a work around for this: I created a series of map icons in GIMP that I have uploaded and place on my maps as tokens on the GM Layer. When I double left click it pulls up the token box which has a field for GM comments. In theory you could include hyperlinks to handouts (have not tried yet). But yeah, a simple easy way to do this +1. sign me up.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
If I remember correctly you can load Handouts as Links in Chat (just forgotten the thing but it's probably via an API Command Button, or through an ordinary link) and then call the link out of the Token Bars
Brian D. said: I have a work around for this: I created a series of map icons in GIMP that I have uploaded and place on my maps as tokens on the GM Layer. When I double left click it pulls up the token box which has a field for GM comments. In theory you could include hyperlinks to handouts (have not tried yet). But yeah, a simple easy way to do this +1. sign me up. I thought this would work as well however I cannot get hyperlinks to work in the GM comments field for some reason. &nbsp;Has anyone else tried this?
Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: If I remember correctly you can load Handouts as Links in Chat (just forgotten the thing but it's probably via an API Command Button, or through an ordinary link) and then call the link out of the Token Bars I don't follow. Can you provide a screenshot?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
If you have a handout named "foo" and you add "[foo]" to the GM Notes(or Description) you should have a link that will open your handout named "foo".
Vince said: If you have a handout named "foo" and you add "[foo]" to the GM Notes(or Description) you should have a link that will open your handout named "foo". This seems to work ok. You just have to Double click to edit the token, click on the link, and then click again on the url for the linked page to come-up.
Thats not really the solution that I think is elegant compared to what the OP is asking for. And given the linking capability to handouts already in other areas, this should be a relatively easy thing to impliment.
I came here for suggesting this, I'm aligned with the OP suggestions, I think the pins should still be called tokens and should be implemented as normal tokens, but simply linked with a handout Map pins&nbsp;: Handout tokens would have selectable image, like tokens do, for different types of pins. OK same as tokens could be marked as visible/not visible to player or players As they are tokens, they may simply be moved to the GM Layer could be clickable/not clickable by player or players If the handout is in a player journal the token should be clickable and viewable properties such as above in a pop-up like tokens have on double-click or w/e I dont quite understand this point on ShiftDoubleClick, open linked Handout like tokens can open a character. OK If the map pin is visible to players it doesnt automatically mean the Handout is viewable. If the handout is in a player journal the token should be clickable and viewable If the pin is viewable and clickable by the players, and the Handout is viewable, they get to see the handout Same as above DM always sees the handout if linked Ok
I agree that this would be the easiest way to handle these. You could also set it if the handout is viewable by players or GM only. This way, you could have GM notes and Player specific information right on the map that people could click.
+1
+1&nbsp; This is splendid. Wanted something like this for a while.
you have my support. could even add the ability to use the nameplate when shown to any side of the token and setting the size of the text that is displayed. then it would be a perfect world for making detailed noted maps with city names and the like
+1 Would be helpful.

Edited 1511214989
+1
awesome idea +1

Edited 1511363189
I wrote a similar suggestion myself before finding this one. I think this is an awesome idea and it would be a great feature. +1
+1. Another tabletop software I have used basically had a 'tooltip' pop up when your mouse was placed on the token (if it was on another layer, such as the GM layer) and all the details would be displayed in that tooltip.&nbsp; To further explain it, I put a token on the GM layer, then switched my focus to the Token layer.&nbsp; When my mouse was on the token (placed on the GM layer), it would display in a small window all the stuff I had typed in there.&nbsp; No need to click or anything.&nbsp; Once you moved your mouse off of it, the small tooltip window went away.&nbsp; Either doing what I suggested or making it open a handout when clicked would be fine with me.

Edited 1512236868
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 (for all the good it will do)
Tom D said: +1. Another tabletop software I have used basically had a 'tooltip' pop up when your mouse was placed on the token (if it was on another layer, such as the GM layer) and all the details would be displayed in that tooltip.&nbsp; To further explain it, I put a token on the GM layer, then switched my focus to the Token layer.&nbsp; When my mouse was on the token (placed on the GM layer), it would display in a small window all the stuff I had typed in there.&nbsp; No need to click or anything.&nbsp; Once you moved your mouse off of it, the small tooltip window went away.&nbsp; Either doing what I suggested or making it open a handout when clicked would be fine with me. One thing I really liked about Maptools!
+1 Yes have asked for this before.&nbsp;
+1
+1
+1
I wasn't sure it was widely known why people want to link to Handouts from tokens, so I wanted to share some thoughts on the topics, and maybe even offer a slightly different approach at the end to this. First, here's a basic token, which happens to have GM notes available on it. This is an "alright" place to put GM information. It does eliminate the need for a character or a handout in the tree with this information tied to another asset in the journal. So there is one advantage to just using the token to store this information (more on this later). The challenge with using the standard token as-is is that it doesn't contain a Bio and Info field, which is often useful for sharing information with players. Likewise, the standard token does not have an image placeholder. Second, is the on-demand display by double clicking on the token. There is a lot of information shown that just "gets in the way" (ie. the Bar fields, colors, etc.) and is not relevant for map notes for the GM or the Players. Ease of access to these notes I think is a major driver for this request and Character's can be linked with tokens, which contains all of the fields mentioned above in the Bio and Info Tab (shown below). Likewise, this enables the ease of shift + double click to get to the information quickly. The challenges with using characters are that you end up creating a massive number of character's in the journal and on the map. Lots of "characters" loaded on a map however seems to really slow the system down. It's like you have n extra mooks on the map (n = number of map notes). This combined with advanced fog of war, really starts to slow things down. Also, another subtle thing, is this window is sized for the default character sheet. So it's much larger than it needs to be. So, I could leave it there. Linking Handouts would be a much better solution, as they are formatted specifically for sharing information with the players and having GM specific notes. Likewise, the performance of a Handout is significantly better than that of a character. Handouts aren't without their pitfalls either. Like characters, you will ultimately end up needing to create a handout and a token for every single note on the map. Likewise, handouts require you to share them with the players. And as they are shared, they will ultimately end up populating their journal with a lot of entries, sometimes with unnecessary or irrelevant information further into a campaign. So although I would be happy enough just being able to link a handout to a token, but I think there's an even more elegant solution to this. A different kind of token all together. Sort of a hybrid of a note, a token and a handout. I would imagine that this token could simply have a text field, that would produce a note on the map, that is movable like a token. Maybe it would even look like what we're all used to from 30 years or RPGs like below. Though I would be happy with something very simple, like the other image below. I think it's important that this is tied to a text field though, as it offers more control over what's displayed in the cases where you want to call out locations on a map, businesses in a town, etc. The other major difference I think we'd be looking for here is instead of a token, that's meant to be linked to a character, contain bars, auras, and all that other stuff (especially removing any sight properties as these really slow the system down). We just would want something that simply contains an Info text field, a GM text field, and an internal image, like the handouts do today. A significant caveat to the traditional handout however would be how players can access this information. Instead of having a Show to Players button, the information could be available so long as the item was on the Objects and Tokens layer and the players could see the token. This still gives the GM the ability to control the visibility to the players by controlling what layer the note is on. So in many cases, these would just be on the GM layer and used for GM notes and be as simple as numbers. But in the extreme case, players could go to a town, and have each building labeled with a description of what business is where. I went way longer than what I wanted to. But this is a major point of frustration for me having come from maptools in the past where this was fundamental. I've Pro subbed to try and solve this, and haven't gotten anything that is remotely close to the ease that maptools offered. I should point out that this last bit was just to "do it right". Though I would be completely happy if we could just link handouts to tokens as well.

Edited 1514657515
Ajax
Pro
+1 A simple Map Pin put on the token layer, click on it and up pops an editable dialog box with your information.
+1. Would really love to see what devs have to say about this.
Please please please please please.
Spren
Sheet Author
For the Pro members, there is an api script called Tokenotes that displays GM note text on click, it isn't perfect but it's as good as we have at the moment. Check it out if you can. There is a fix for a bug in the thread so make sure to check that out. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1760741/script-t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1760741/script-t</a>...
+1
+1
GiGGles
Plus
Translator
I would like that that way I can put a pin on a map and when they look at it it can show them the dungeon thats there..
+1
+1
+1
+1.
+1
+1 REALLY need this simple thing.