Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[SW FFG] Official Character Sheet Thread

GM Matt said: Hey, Phillip.  This is pretty easy to do - I do it a LOT myself for NPCs (who - for most purposes - usually just need to roll initiative and shoot) - but the trick is building the dice pool to go along with the skill roll. Here is how I do it: (1) Click on the button in the character sheet that is needed to roll the appropriate skill (2) With the cursor in the chat window (as if you are about to type something in the window), hit the up arrow key. This will give you the macro code that you need for the roll. Copy or cut that code out of the chat window. (3) Start a new macro on the character sheet, pasting in the code you just pulled out of the chat window. (4) If you know your way around the !eed dice roller, you can actually cut some of the code out that you don't want. But it works fine leaving all the code in (as long as you keep things like the character sheet and GM Dice Pool clear). (5) Add the following to the end of the marco: ?{Dice Pool}. When you roll the macro, it should begin by asking you for anything you want to add to the dice pool ("DicePool"). Type in the number and the first letter of the color of the dice you want. The only exception is that black (setback) dice are "blk" - so.... 1p 1r 2blk 1b ...will roll 1 purple (difficulty), 1 red (challenge), 2 black (setback), and 1 blue (boost) dice. Now, whenever you want to use the attack or skill, you can click on the token macro, enter the dice pool, and you are done. I also did a video tutorial on this, which you can find  here . The description of how to set up the macro is toward the end of the tutorial. OMG! This is exactly what I have been looking for, for ever! Thanks so much! 
GM Matt said: Hey, Phillip.  This is pretty easy to do - I do it a LOT myself for NPCs (who - for most purposes - usually just need to roll initiative and shoot) - but the trick is building the dice pool to go along with the skill roll. Here is how I do it: (1) Click on the button in the character sheet that is needed to roll the appropriate skill (2) With the cursor in the chat window (as if you are about to type something in the window), hit the up arrow key. This will give you the macro code that you need for the roll. Copy or cut that code out of the chat window. (3) Start a new macro on the character sheet, pasting in the code you just pulled out of the chat window. (4) If you know your way around the !eed dice roller, you can actually cut some of the code out that you don't want. But it works fine leaving all the code in (as long as you keep things like the character sheet and GM Dice Pool clear). (5) Add the following to the end of the marco: ?{Dice Pool}. When you roll the macro, it should begin by asking you for anything you want to add to the dice pool ("DicePool"). Type in the number and the first letter of the color of the dice you want. The only exception is that black (setback) dice are "blk" - so.... 1p 1r 2blk 1b ...will roll 1 purple (difficulty), 1 red (challenge), 2 black (setback), and 1 blue (boost) dice. Now, whenever you want to use the attack or skill, you can click on the token macro, enter the dice pool, and you are done. I also did a video tutorial on this, which you can find  here . The description of how to set up the macro is toward the end of the tutorial. Perfect! Thanks so much! You have been added to my list of all time heros and I have subscribed to your tutes.
Question about starship: For my players, I created a separate instance of a starship (character instance), and I put their character name into each role, and it goes and look for the appropriate skills within a given character shit - awesome! Now, for my NPCs, when I try to replicate that same behavior it doesnt work. My steps: I create an NPC, let's call it NPCA, then I created a starship, say STAR1. Within STAR1, I put the name NPCA in the pilot role, but it doesnt go and pick the skill from NPCA. It only rolls 1 green every time. I tried instead to put the starship under the tab within NPCA, but it doesnt work either. So, basically, how do I get a vehicle to use the stats of my NPC?
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Philippe said: Question about starship: For my players, I created a separate instance of a starship (character instance), and I put their character name into each role, and it goes and look for the appropriate skills within a given character shit - awesome! Now, for my NPCs, when I try to replicate that same behavior it doesnt work. My steps: I create an NPC, let's call it NPCA, then I created a starship, say STAR1. Within STAR1, I put the name NPCA in the pilot role, but it doesnt go and pick the skill from NPCA. It only rolls 1 green every time. I tried instead to put the starship under the tab within NPCA, but it doesnt work either. So, basically, how do I get a vehicle to use the stats of my NPC? Unfortunately, the Vehicle sheet only references the PC side of the character sheet, not he NPC data. That's why you'are seeing a single green, corresponding to the 1 by default in the characteristics of the PC side of the sheet. The workaround is to use the PC side of the sheet for NPC that have to pilote and act in vehicule (you can also just replicate the main stats and Skills ranks needed to the PC side of the sheet).
Orta said: Philippe said: Question about starship: For my players, I created a separate instance of a starship (character instance), and I put their character name into each role, and it goes and look for the appropriate skills within a given character shit - awesome! Now, for my NPCs, when I try to replicate that same behavior it doesnt work. My steps: I create an NPC, let's call it NPCA, then I created a starship, say STAR1. Within STAR1, I put the name NPCA in the pilot role, but it doesnt go and pick the skill from NPCA. It only rolls 1 green every time. I tried instead to put the starship under the tab within NPCA, but it doesnt work either. So, basically, how do I get a vehicle to use the stats of my NPC? Unfortunately, the Vehicle sheet only references the PC side of the character sheet, not he NPC data. That's why you'are seeing a single green, corresponding to the 1 by default in the characteristics of the PC side of the sheet. The workaround is to use the PC side of the sheet for NPC that have to pilote and act in vehicule (you can also just replicate the main stats and Skills ranks needed to the PC side of the sheet). Thanks for confirming that!

Edited 1491544319
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello, I added a roll button to be able to Roll a weapon skill from a NPC sheet in a vehicle sheet. See Philippe post above. In Green, the existing button, rolling from the PC skill (unchanged). In Red the new button and drop down if you want to roll from NPC skill. The test html can be found here :&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Orta15a/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Orta15a/roll20-character-sheets</a>... Please take a look and try it for yourself ! I also fixed a small typo in the roll template of the Riding Beast Weapon section. This minor addition shouldn't break anything, and it should appear next Tuesday during Roll20 weekly update of the sheets.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Just to let you know that the modification of the post above was merged into the live sheet and should appear shortly in your games.
I'm new so I apologize if this is a silly question.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm trying to follow a YouTube guide but the character sheet in my game is somewhat different... mainly: 1) It's missing the tooltips next to each skill giving detailed information on that skills, and 2) the video said you could add custom skills, the sheet I have only has two slots with no option for adding more.

Edited 1493409257
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi Tim, 1/ the suggestions on the tool tip were removed sometimes ago, the reason behind that was to reduce the number of line of code, and have a more responsive sheet. You can find those suggestion during your rolls, if you activate them in the setting tab of the GM sheet. 2/ As far as I remember, the custom skills always were 2 additional. If you need more custom skills, I can see how to add a couple of more line. But we have to keep in mind the usebaility of the sheet and not add 20 new lines of skills. We can also try to use a repeating section, but to be honnest I never really dived into sheet development so I cannot promise.
Thanks for the quick reply.&nbsp; No worries on the custom skills, I'm just thinking ahead (over-thinking), and probably wont need them.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm just happy to know I didn't set something up wrong.&nbsp; :-)
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi, I have been playing around with the repeating section for custom skill : I still need to do some testing and alignment, but the main thing seems to work ;)
That's cool.&nbsp; Would you mind telling me how you set that up?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sure it was simple for you, but for me at the moment, it may as well be magic. :-) Will it cause problems if/when the sheets get updated?

Edited 1493460503
Going slightly crazy :D Hoping someone can help me with the following: I have a vehicle set up &nbsp;- a standard Tie Fighter, i've put in all the stats etc. I have an NPC - Tie Pilot - minion - 3 agi. In the vehicle character sheet - when I click the Roll for the Gunnery Skill - It rolls 1 blue - 6 green and 2 purple. [I assume blue for aiming? 2 purple for average skill? - What i can't figure out is why is keeps rolling 6 green dice] If I click the NPC roll it rolls 1 blue, 4 green, 2 purple. I just want it to roll the standard 3 green, 1 blue 2 purple - why is it rolling so many excess green dice? If *feels* like there is a default dice pool of 1blue, 2 purple, 3 green - and any skill i make adds this too it? (Side note: can rolls be made in private with the API dice roller? I can't figure out a way to do that either!) Thanks!
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Tim H. said: That's cool.&nbsp; Would you mind telling me how you set that up?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sure it was simple for you, but for me at the moment, it may as well be magic. :-) Will it cause problems if/when the sheets get updated? I pushed the update to the repository. It should be live next Tuesday, during roll20 update.&nbsp;
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Chris K. said: Going slightly crazy :D Hoping someone can help me with the following: I have a vehicle set up &nbsp;- a standard Tie Fighter, i've put in all the stats etc. I have an NPC - Tie Pilot - minion - 3 agi. In the vehicle character sheet - when I click the Roll for the Gunnery Skill - It rolls 1 blue - 6 green and 2 purple. [I assume blue for aiming? 2 purple for average skill? - What i can't figure out is why is keeps rolling 6 green dice] If I click the NPC roll it rolls 1 blue, 4 green, 2 purple. I just want it to roll the standard 3 green, 1 blue 2 purple - why is it rolling so many excess green dice? If *feels* like there is a default dice pool of 1blue, 2 purple, 3 green - and any skill i make adds this too it? (Side note: can rolls be made in private with the API dice roller? I can't figure out a way to do that either!) Thanks! Did you looked into the GM sheet? Any dice added here will be added to any roll made.&nbsp;

Edited 1493620808
I did not know the GM Sheet dice pool was a thing... This fixed my problem! Thank you :) All I need now is to be able to roll in secret and i'm all set :D
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Chris K. said: I did not know the GM Sheet dice pool was a thing... This fixed my problem! Thank you :) All I need now is to be able to roll in secret and i'm all set :D Unfortunately, this is not a feature that currently exists on the sheet / API. :(
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Tim H. said: That's cool.&nbsp; Would you mind telling me how you set that up?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sure it was simple for you, but for me at the moment, it may as well be magic. :-) Will it cause problems if/when the sheets get updated? Hi Tim, My changes were published in the live sheet, so you can use the repeating section for custom skills. For users that had customs skill already set up, you may have to set them up again.
Hi Tim, My changes were published in the live sheet, so you can use the repeating section for custom skills. For users that had customs skill already set up, you may have to set them up again. Do I have to do something to update the sheet?&nbsp; I don't see a difference on mine.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Tim H. said: Hi Tim, My changes were published in the live sheet, so you can use the repeating section for custom skills. For users that had customs skill already set up, you may have to set them up again. Do I have to do something to update the sheet?&nbsp; I don't see a difference on mine. Yeah it appeared and disapeared during yesterday, I don't know exactly why. Today the update is live. Please check your sheet, it should be there.
It's there now!&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.&nbsp; :-)
Hey there, having a problem with the planetary vehicle crit rolls. They don't update on the sheet aside from counting how many critical injuries they already have, I'm unable to repair or even edit the custom one.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
God said: Hey there, having a problem with the planetary vehicle crit rolls. They don't update on the sheet aside from counting how many critical injuries they already have, I'm unable to repair or even edit the custom one. Hello God, I am trying right now on the sheet, but I don't manage to replicate your issue with planetary vehicle criticals. Can you give me the step by step of what you are trying to achieve and when and where it fails ?
First of all, I'd like to thank all of the contributors to this sheet! It has fantastic functionality. It has everything a player would need to create a character and perform the needed dice rolls. That said, I feel this sheet is very weak when it comes to layout/UI and is in need of some pretty significant changes. Most importantly, it needs a "front page" so the player can make quick dice rolls without flipping through tabs. As it stands right now, we are given a quite extensive list of tabs separated by their category. ( The early D&D 5E Shaped sheets had the same problem ) ( Compare to the Shaped sheet of today ) These tabs, other than being separated and requiring page flipping, have two main issues. 1) They have a lot of needlessly wasted white space (which contributes to my next point) and 2) Once filled out, they require the player to do an incredible amount of scrolling to get to the required roll. This is compounded by needing to scroll to the top of the page to adjust the Dice Pool. Some of this scrolling can be reduced by minimizing sections, but in the end, it will all still need to be maximized to use the skill/weapon/etc. What I propose to solve this is to create two "front pages" for the characters that are a minimal in information that reference the Talents, Weapons, Force Powers, etc, in existing tabs. This allows the player to generally stay on one page while playing and only switching to another tab if they need to read further in-depth information. A similar page would be made for space combat. I've created a mockup in Photoshop to help illustrate this point. Obviously the layout does not need to be exactly like this, but it should give the general idea of what I mean. Main features include: Massive reduction of extra white space A 40% reduction of space between skills. In addition, combat and knowledge skills moved to the side. Reduces scrolling and brings in line with the Official FFG sheet . Removal of unneeded Die rolling icons. Instead rolling by clicking on the text to save space. A "floating" Dice Pool or a prompt when clicked. (See D&D 5E spell levels) A quick, clickable glance at everything a player would most often need in a session. Including Wounds, Strain, Skills, Weapons, Force Powers, Initiative, etc. I realize this is a pretty major undertaking, but I feel these changes would bring a vast improvement in the use of these sheets. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi Eric, That seems ... awesome ! This sheet is the accumulation of work of good and devoted people, that put a high number of hours into it, but without the time or the sufficient technical knowledge (I really mean no offense here) to do a massive overhaul like the one you're proposing. There lot of room for improvement, mainly on the graphical side, I'll say, and in optimizing the thousands of line of html and the numerous css classes. And if we can leverage the power of the sheetworkers, it's even better. Having put an hand into the code to add the translations tags and a couple of other really small additions, I know the task ahead is huge. One thing to keep in mind, and I think is very important to lots of users of the current sheet, is to know how the existing data will be translated into the new sheet. I don't know if the refactoring can go without data loss, but that an issue to consider. Please let us know when you start and point us to your github so we can test and give you feedback. I know I will. May the force be with you.
Tim P.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is anybody else having issues with the API at the moment ? I cant get any sandboxes to spin up.
Tim P. I have the same problem right now.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
API on main server is having problems.
Orta said: Please let us know when you start and point us to your github so we can test and give you feedback. I know I will. A little update on this. I've started work on the quick sheet. I'll post a link to github once I'm a little further along. First few days were screwing with the code, breaking it, and seeing what it all did. I've actually started the real coding now. I don't want to step on the toes of the sheet authors so let me know if you guys want access to take a look, have any questions, etc. A buddy of mine is also looking into setting up Talent trees. First stage will be blank trees with simple data entry and links between talents that can be turned on and off. After that he's going to look into adding in json imports of talent trees.
This looks fantastic! I've recently started using the 5th Ed SRD sheet, and have gotten spoiled to its convenience. This does a lot to catch up with it!
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
Eric J. said: Orta said: Please let us know when you start and point us to your github so we can test and give you feedback. I know I will. A little update on this. I've started work on the quick sheet. I'll post a link to github once I'm a little further along. First few days were screwing with the code, breaking it, and seeing what it all did. I've actually started the real coding now. I don't want to step on the toes of the sheet authors so let me know if you guys want access to take a look, have any questions, etc. A buddy of mine is also looking into setting up Talent trees. First stage will be blank trees with simple data entry and links between talents that can be turned on and off. After that he's going to look into adding in json imports of talent trees. That's great ! This sheet needs some love. If you are to expand functionalities, please do it keeping the multi-language support :&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_i18n" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_i18n</a> And for Talent Trees and import / export, json/xml, you can take a look at Oggdude Character creator for compatibilities :&nbsp; <a href="https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/891" rel="nofollow">https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/891</a>... When you have time share your github and I can give you comments ;)
So... is there a way to get data into and out of the sheets? I've not seen that before on any other sheets, but... I also don't claim to have much technical expertise.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
GM Matt said: So... is there a way to get data into and out of the sheets? I've not seen that before on any other sheets, but... I also don't claim to have much technical expertise. Only doable with API. The Dnd 5e Shaped has an import function for custom spells for example.
Orta said: Eric J. said: Orta said: Please let us know when you start and point us to your github so we can test and give you feedback. I know I will. A little update on this. I've started work on the quick sheet. I'll post a link to github once I'm a little further along. First few days were screwing with the code, breaking it, and seeing what it all did. I've actually started the real coding now. I don't want to step on the toes of the sheet authors so let me know if you guys want access to take a look, have any questions, etc. A buddy of mine is also looking into setting up Talent trees. First stage will be blank trees with simple data entry and links between talents that can be turned on and off. After that he's going to look into adding in json imports of talent trees. That's great ! This sheet needs some love. If you are to expand functionalities, please do it keeping the multi-language support :&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_i18n" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_i18n</a> And for Talent Trees and import / export, json/xml, you can take a look at Oggdude Character creator for compatibilities :&nbsp; <a href="https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/891" rel="nofollow">https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/891</a>... When you have time share your github and I can give you comments ;) Yep, definitely paying attention to i18n. I've actually updated the English json files already with a couple new items and fixed a couple of typos and inconsistencies. I'll reach out to you for sure once it is getting closer to translation time. I'm trying to keep the json the same as much as possible.
Orta
Sheet Author
Translator
You can modify the translation Json as much as you want, in fact, that causes no issue. As long as the tags match in the sheet.
I'm having problems with the API. The character sheet will not roll the dice. I checked the chat and I got nothing. I don't know if I screwed it up or there is a bug.
The game's creator has to be a Pro-level subscriber to use the API, and has to install the script in the API Scripts for the game.
Hello Tim P.&nbsp; Are you familiar with Oggdude's character generator? It can be found on the Fantasy Flight Grounds forums, under the Star Wars EotE heading, titled Another Characer Generator. Recently there has been some discussion with its creator and creating an export option that would allow characters to be imported into your API script. Unfortunately neither Oggdude nor anyone else is very familiar with how roll20 and it's API scripts work.&nbsp; Guess the first question would be, can data be exported/imported to and from roll20's API scripts? If so, how? thanks for the help. Greatly appreciate your hard work on this script.
Arrakus said: Hello Tim P.&nbsp; Are you familiar with Oggdude's character generator? It can be found on the Fantasy Flight Grounds forums, under the Star Wars EotE heading, titled Another Characer Generator. Recently there has been some discussion with its creator and creating an export option that would allow characters to be imported into your API script. Unfortunately neither Oggdude nor anyone else is very familiar with how roll20 and it's API scripts work.&nbsp; Guess the first question would be, can data be exported/imported to and from roll20's API scripts? If so, how? thanks for the help. Greatly appreciate your hard work on this script. Apparently so. See&nbsp; here , just above. Apparently, its already being done on the 5E shaped character sheet.
Yeah, just saw that.&nbsp; -2points for not reading a head.&nbsp; Apologies.&nbsp;
Rabulias said: The game's creator has to be a Pro-level subscriber to use the API, and has to install the script in the API Scripts for the game. Thank you!
Hello! So I've wanted to add Force dice to a skill. Of course one could alway go and edit the Dive Pool at the top of the screen, but I thought it'd be much more convenient to just do it the "professional" way. After looking through the attributes the sheet has, I found out that, while there are attributes for the Force Treshold and the number of Committed Force Dice, I saw that there was no easy attribute like "Free Force Dice", and so I went digging. With the Force Powers, those correctly calculate the number of Force dice one has. Sadly, they do not seem to save that number anywhere in an attribute either. So I tried putting in [[@{forcerating}-@{forcecommitted}]]w into the Modifier slot of the skills. It did not work. While&nbsp;[[@{forcerating}-@{forcecommitted}]] does result in a little calculation which gives back your number of free Force dice, it does not allow that calculated number to be taken over for the roll. After trying out for a while, I have created a new attribute named "forcefree" where I can manually place in the number of free force dice that I have. this requires manual updating though... Would it be possible to add an attribute to the sheet that displays the free force points and which automatically updates?
Hello everybody, I'm new and this topi might have been already addressed. In an early version of the character sheet there were "help icons" near every skill with interesting game rules information. In the version of the script I've currently loaded, those helps are gone. Any idea how can I bring them back?&nbsp;
Simone B. said: Hello everybody, I'm new and this topi might have been already addressed. In an early version of the character sheet there were "help icons" near every skill with interesting game rules information. In the version of the script I've currently loaded, those helps are gone. Any idea how can I bring them back?&nbsp; Hi Simone, Could you explain in a little more detail? Depending on what it was, I might be able to add some of this functionality back on the Quick Sheet I am developing for this character sheet.
It also doesn't seem to be working at all at the moment. Me and my friends have a weekly game and tonight we tried to roll the dice with the buttons in the character sheets, but now it doesn't do anything.
Emrys A. said: It also doesn't seem to be working at all at the moment. Me and my friends have a weekly game and tonight we tried to roll the dice with the buttons in the character sheets, but now it doesn't do anything. You probably need to reload the API script. You can do that by clicking on your game, and going to Settings -&gt; API Scripts. Then click on Restart API Sandbox.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is this still the correct place to discuss the API dice script... sorry if not BUT just wanted to check if the downgrade options are working as intended, from what I understand you never remove dice for downgrading, simply reduce all red&gt;purple and yellow&gt;green but nothing beyond that: Core Rules pg22 says: There may be situations where a player needs to downgrade Proficiency dice into Ability dice or Challenge dice into Difficulty dice. If all the po­tential dice are already in their downgraded form, any further downgrades are ignored.&nbsp;