Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Tips and Tricks (Innovative Solutions to Common Problems)

Edited 1600358854
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mike deBoston said: If this isn't enough of a trick, just delete it Keith, no harm, no foul. I think it's fine, but what would you suggest I call it in the Index? BTW, I have no moderation-type powers as a Forum Champion. I can't delete anyone's posts. :)
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
Call it "Comparing numbers, greater than or equal to".
This is amazing thankyou
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This was moved from the top post, because it was getting too long to edit: The Beholder Anti Magic field The 5e Beholder creates an anti magic field that suppresses all magic within a 58 degree cone. The players cannot necessarily see the effect, but the DM needs a way to quickly show the cone's area during play. Solution: Dynamic Lighting and Field of Vision Even if you are not using DL for its light and movement blocking, you can set up your map and beholder as follows: Map: Use Dynamic Lighting with global illumination. Beholder: Has Sight, emits light (other players cannot see) in a 58 degree cone, bright light, 150 ft. For most of the time, (all of the time for the players) the field looks like this: Any time you need to see what is in the anti magic field, select the beholder and press Cmd/Ctrl-L, to see what it sees. You will see only the parts of the battlefield affected by the cone, but for the players, they still see the map normally. It's quick, simple and keeps the players guessing. Wizards of the Coast Beholder image used for demonstration purposes only. No copyright infringement intended.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wow, the first post just says "Test". Doing some extreme renovations, Keith?

Edited 1600362444
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Trying to make the first post editable again. It's being recalcitrant, but I think I have it under control again. I made a backup of the index to a private forum post first. Edit: A lot of the recent tips never made it into the index because I assumed it was updating properly. I have gone back through and grabbed the missed ones.
keithcurtis said: I made a backup of the index to a private forum post first. I'm not seeing an option to make a post private - is that something that is only available to Forum Champions, or is that a different Stupid Trick that could be shared? Right now I have a bunch of bookmarks for scripts and things but I think it would be much easier to keep them organized right here in the forum if I could make a private post for myself!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I dont know about making a private post - but you could make a public post, and then delete it. You can still see it but no one else can. I am not sure if that works for first posts in a thread, but it works for replies in a thread.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jarren K. said: keithcurtis said: I made a backup of the index to a private forum post first. I'm not seeing an option to make a post private - is that something that is only available to Forum Champions, or is that a different Stupid Trick that could be shared? Right now I have a bunch of bookmarks for scripts and things but I think it would be much easier to keep them organized right here in the forum if I could make a private post for myself! "private  forum  post." I made a game and didn't invite anyone. The forums there are seen only by me and can hold posts with formatted and linked text. I started it in order to hold a lot of copy-paste stuff like the troubleshooting steps (I use a browser extension for that now), but it holds backups of important posts, drafts I'm working on, etc. I wonder if that qualifies as a stupid trick...

Edited 1600372220
I just now found the option for a "Private Forum Post" on a separate Bug Post:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/194529/hidden-campaign-forum/?pageforid=194630#post-194630" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/194529/hidden-campaign-forum/?pageforid=194630#post-194630</a>. &nbsp;I've never used the game forums on Roll20 as my group does all of our correspondence through email, and tracks our characters through D&amp;DBeyond.&nbsp; So I guess I can submit this as a stupid trick even if it's already known to others! Private Forum Posts to Keep Notes In If you create a private/test game, you can use the "Recent Game Discussion" forum as a place to keep notes on things such as links to scripts or other resources for your game that you don't want to keep elsewhere. One benefit of keeping notes contained within Roll20 is that any forum posts will maintain their formatting (as Keith mentioned above), so you are able to write up drafts of posts, or if you are regular forum user you can pre-edit common responses or helpful links. Another idea is putting together several comments/ideas from a thread so that you can organize all the most important points together for reference later.&nbsp; For example, there may be several different threads about a specific script that you use, and you can take out the relevant bits and put them into a single post for yourself to make it easier to read through. It can also be used for copying whole pages or sections of a page by pasting them into a forum post. And as Keith mentioned just above: The forums there are seen only by me and can hold posts with formatted and linked text. I started it in order to hold a lot of copy-paste stuff like the troubleshooting steps (I use a browser extension for that now), but it holds backups of important posts, drafts I'm working on, etc.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please ignore the post by stven - its spam disguised as a post, and I've reported it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Me too. It's fascinatingly apt. He/she/it picked up text from an old post of Vince's.

Edited 1601600403
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's a clever bot. Who knew Skynet would start its infiltration by selling baja hoodies.... Also: impressive memory, Keith - this contradicts your claims in the Bugs section :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pshaw. Google is my memory.

Edited 1601703624
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well since Keith is trying to derail his own thread with off-topic conversation, I guess someone should post a trick :) This is just very small and very stupid trick which someone might find useful, if they don't want to use a roll template for any reason. Multi-Line rolls without a template This is just a specific use of re-using rolls and forcing a style . So this attempt at a $[[0]] roll reference will fail, as the line breaks split the roll up and $[[0]] isn't referring to anything: [[2d4+6]] [[3d10]] $[[0]] We can wrap the whole thing in curly braces to allow a multiple lines to be sent to chat at once without the aid of a roll template: {{[[2d4+6]] [[3d10]] $[[0]]}} The $[[0]] reference now works, but it looks a bit awful (no offence, curlies). So we can use some disappearing magic on those braces to pretty it up a little: [{{](#" style="display:none)1: [[2d4+6]] 2: [[3d10]] ================ The first roll was: $[[0]] [}}](#" style="display:none) Pretty stupid, eh.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That css injection is brilliant Oosh. Also a little scary that that isn't sanitized
Scott C. said: That css injection is brilliant Oosh. Also a little scary that that isn't sanitized Oblig XKCD
These are great, thanks!
Thanks for the tips
Question on nesting drop downs, Scott C's google doc link isn't working any more. I'm wondering if there is a go to command for with in a macro, or just examples in general maybe.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sorry about that Levi. I was doing some data clean up and apparently deleted the wrong version of it. Here's an accessible version of the nesting sheet . I'll update the original post with the new link as well.
Thanks, I appreciate it. This really helps me figuring out which symbols need to be replaced with html code.

Edited 1603732602
USING TRACKER FOR PLANNED/SEQUENCED ACTIONS AND HIDING CHARACTERS. I am a bit of a Noob and not a GM so have not tested this. Feel free to disprove or come up with more developments. According to the Help:- So this can be useful in several ways by creating a page called something like "map 3 encounters" and putting tokens on it to represent the NPC. These are in addition to the NPC tokens on the actual page you are playing on. 1. Over come the problem of hidden/not visible NPC having their location revealed by selecting in the turner. Instead of rolling initiative for the token on your game page roll it for the equivalent token on the "map 3 encounters page". Since the token is not on your game page its position can't be revealed. 2. Using above also means that a NPC turn is only shown to the GM. This is more realistic even when you have visible NPCs as the PCs wont know when its the NPCs turn on the 1st round. Planed actions. You may have prepared a series of events that are going to occur but it can be hard for the GM to keep track of this in something like combat. In a scenario you may decided that there will be 3 badies in a room, combat inevitable starts, 2nd turn 3 more badies enter stage right, 4th turn more&nbsp; badies are due.&nbsp; 3. In this case you can use the turn counter and use tokens with names that state the turn and action e.g. "3 badies on turn 2". Again this only appears on the GMs turn tracker and acts as a reminder. 4. Reminder for more complex sequences. Its not too bad for the GM when its only grunts where the options are run away or who to attack. But suppose its more complex:- "wizard invisible enters turn 3", "wizard levitates turn 4", "wizard casts fire ball turn 6". 5. Or a reminder that some thing will happen such as "shape shift ends turn 5" Also for mechanical sequences such as a machine doing something after a certain number of turns. Note that you can manually change a characters position in the tracker so you can still group all the NPCs in the same turn if you want. I used long token names so its clear on this thread. In reality it may be your own shorthand like "wiz4levi". Hope this is useful.
Thanks Mel C,&nbsp; I like it.
Mel C. said: USING TRACKER FOR PLANNED/SEQUENCED ACTIONS AND HIDING CHARACTERS. I am a bit of a Noob and not a GM so have not tested this. Feel free to disprove or come up with more developments. According to the Help:- &lt;snipped for brevity&gt; This is a simple, elegant solution, bravo!
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I think this should work with the proxy tokens on the GM layer of the same page, somewhere non-intrusive to the active region of your map, rather than having to switch pages (note: also untested). Large maps sometimes take a while for my system to load.&nbsp;

Edited 1604030307
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can also manipulate items on the tracker with Stylus, if it helps at all. I used a change of opacity in the example, but using display:none would completely remove it from the tracker, but you could still pull the value (or + and - it) with @{tracker|thing}, and it will keep doing any per-round math it's set up to do. Might be handy for keeping the GM version of the tracker from being overwhelmed with entries during combat, if you're planning on throwing a lot of items in there: You could even have a hidden "total rounds of combat this entire campaign" tracker, though you'd need to be careful not to use the "delete all turns" button.
Macro Overloading for per-player behaviour (eg. whisper self or GM-only whisper) It is possible to create multiple macros with the same name but with different visibility settings. So each player sees and uses a different version from the other players or GM. The GM always has visibility so the GM uses the most recently created/last in the list of the identically named macros. Whisper self example In a game with two players (Jane Doe, Joe Bloggs) create 3 macros all will be called&nbsp; whispertarget &nbsp;- In the first macro we set the name, set the Actions to&nbsp; "Jane Doe" &nbsp;and the Visible To Players to our&nbsp; Jane Doe &nbsp;as shown below - We setup the second macro similarly but for our Joe Bloggs player. The third macro is for the GM so the Actions can be set simply as&nbsp; gm &nbsp;and the Visible to Players left empty. So with the setup done wherever we want to use whisper self we can now use /w #whispertarget &lt;&lt;Your whisper self content&gt;&gt; and the #whispertarget will be replaced with the calling players name or&nbsp; gm &nbsp;for you GM-only whisper example For those of you looking to create macros/abilities that are whispered for you as GM, but output to normal chat when your players use them, this is for you. Create two macros called&nbsp; whisperstate &nbsp;- The first one visible to all players but the Actions left empty. The second one visible to no-one but the Actions set to&nbsp; /w gm With that setup done your macros/abilities can be updated as #whisperstate &lt;&lt;Your actual macro content&gt;&gt; So the GM can roll in secret but players will roll in the open.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Interesting. I had never considered using permissions like that.
That. Is. Brilliant!
I was trying to test this out, but I don't have a buddy or second account handy to help.&nbsp;&nbsp; Question:&nbsp; Can this be implemented to make blind rolls?&nbsp; i.e. where the Player pushes the button, and knows which skill they are rolling, but cannot see the outcome?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately, no. A player always sees a message they send, unless you use CSS or (preferably) an API script.
Yeah, I've done it with Powercards in another game.&nbsp; I was just hoping for an easy(ish) way to set it up for the GM in a game I am currently playing in.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I was reading up on the hidden from tracker stuff and all; but all you need is to put the npc in the GM layer and as long as you put it as a rule that the GM will call out each one's turn even if there is a turn order. That allows you the GM to obfuscate where someone else and where they are in the order until you want to pull the trigger.(I know it sounds simple, but sometimes all you need is just law and order on a table to make this sneaky stuff work.

Edited 1606037815
5e by Roll20 'Red Line Divider'&nbsp; Here is a synergy of a couple stupid tricks listed in this thread, used in a specific way to create the 'horizontal red line divider' used in the 5e by Roll20 sheet. (This is based on a question in this thread here &nbsp;using Oosh's&nbsp; HTML Styles in Chat trick &nbsp;and&nbsp; Kyle G's prefix trick &nbsp;together. Click on these links for a bit more explanation about HTML/CSS to understand how this works.) This trick can be used at any subscription level - it doesn't use the API or any dynamic lighting, so it's available to free user GMs. I'm showing a specific example of the 5e by Roll20 sheet, but it will work with other sheets for similar purposes. If you want to add extra divider lines in your chat menus, here's what you do: First you need a fake anchor tag call with some styling: [ ](#" style="border: none; border-top: 0.25em solid transparent; border-bottom: 0.25em solid transparent; border-left: 14em solid #7e2d40; line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.05em; margin-top: 0.25em; margin-bottom: 0.25em; display: inline-block) That creates the same horizontal red line that the 5e by Roll20 character sheet uses.&nbsp; You can go ahead and stick that into a macro and you'll get a red line whereever you want: /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Actions}} {{description=***[@{Selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_name}](~Selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action)*** *@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_type} Weapon Attack:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohitrange} *Hit:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_onhit} [ ](#" style="border: none; border-top: 0.25em solid transparent; border-bottom: 0.25em solid transparent; border-left: 14em solid #7e2d40; line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.05em; display: block)Senses @{selected|npc_senses} ***[@{Selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_name}](~Selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_action)*** *@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_type} Weapon Attack:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohitrange} *Hit:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_onhit}}} But that's a huge chunk of code to copy and paste into each macro you want, and it's pretty unwieldy, and hard to update.&nbsp; So the second part of this trick is to use a character macro sheet to create one version of the fake anchor tag that you can call in any macro: 1. Create a character named 'Div' 2. On the Attributes &amp; Abilities page of the character sheet, create an ability named 'RedLine' 3. In the 'current' field for the RedLine ability, paste the entire final code you want to use &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. In whichever macros you want to include the red line divider, just use this code: @{Div|RedLine} For example, your code above would look like this: /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Actions}} {{description=***[@{Selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_name}](~Selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action)*** *@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_type} Weapon Attack:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_tohitrange} *Hit:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_attack_onhit} @{Div|RedLine} ***[@{Selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_name}](~Selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_action)*** *@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_type} Weapon Attack:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_tohitrange} *Hit:* @{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_attack_onhit}}} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This is also nice because you can update ALL your macros to look the same, simply by modifying the 'RedLine' ability on the Div character sheet.&nbsp; If you decide that you want all the lines to be blue, you just change the one piece of code and all future macro calls will be in blue instead. Extra code : I started playing around with different kinds of dividers, so here's some more code to give you some ideas: Attributes on 'Div': RedLineLeft:&nbsp;[ ](#" style="border: none; border-top: 0.25em solid transparent; border-bottom: 0.25em solid transparent; border-left: 4em solid #7e2d40; line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.05em; margin-top: 0.25em; margin-bottom: 0.25em; display: inline-block; float: left) [ RedLineRight:&nbsp;](#" style="font-weight: bold; width: 54%; text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; display: inline-block)[ ](#" style="border: none; border-top: 0.25em solid transparent; border-bottom: 0.25em solid transparent; border-right: 4em solid #7e2d40; line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.05em; margin-top: 0.25em; margin-bottom: 0.25em; display: inline-block; float: right) Macro: &amp;{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_type}}} {{rname=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{description=Test above @{Div|RedLineLeft} Actions @{Div|RedLineRight} Test below}} Produces this: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Silly bonus: Name the macro character sheet 'DIV' and the attribute for the divider 'DER' and the code you enter into your macros is: @{DIV|DER} Then it looks like you're just entering a 'DIVIDER'!
Jarren K. said: I just now found the option for a "Private Forum Post" on a separate Bug Post: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/194529/hidden-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/194529/hidden-</a> worktime - campaign-forum/?pageforid=194630#post-194630 I've never used the game forums on Roll20 as my group does all of our correspondence through email, and tracks our characters through D&amp;DBeyond.&nbsp; So I guess I can submit this as a stupid trick even if it's already known to others! Private Forum Posts to Keep Notes In If you create a private/test game, you can use the "Recent Game Discussion" forum as a place to keep notes on things such as links to scripts or other resources for your game that you don't want to keep elsewhere. One benefit of keeping notes contained within Roll20 is that any forum posts will maintain their formatting (as Keith mentioned above), so you are able to write up drafts of posts, or if you are regular forum user you can pre-edit common responses or helpful links. Another idea is putting together several comments/ideas from a thread so that you can organize all the most important points together for reference later.&nbsp; For example, there may be several different threads about a specific script that you use, and you can take out the relevant bits and put them into a single post for yourself to make it easier to read through. It can also be used for copying whole pages or sections of a page by pasting them into a forum post. And as Keith mentioned just above: The forums there are seen only by me and can hold posts with formatted and linked text. I started it in order to hold a lot of copy-paste stuff like the troubleshooting steps (I use a browser extension for that now), but it holds backups of important posts, drafts I'm working on, etc. You right, put together&nbsp; comments/ideas from a thread is a nice solution

Edited 1607124030
I'm in a new Marvel Super Heroes game (aka FASERIP), and made this macro to spit out the Universal Table so that it nicely fits in the chat /desc &amp;{template:default} {{ FE =[01-60](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [61-90](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [91-99](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px)&nbsp; &nbsp;[100](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ PR =[01-55](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [56-85](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [86-99](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px)&nbsp; &nbsp;[100](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ TY =[01-50](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [51-80](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [81-97](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [98-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ GD =[01-45](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [46-75](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [76-97](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [98-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ EX =[01-40](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [41-70](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [71-94](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [95-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ RM =[01-35](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [36-65](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [66-94](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [95-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ IN =[01-30](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [31-60](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [61-90](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [91-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ AM =[01-25](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [26-55](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [56-90](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [91-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ MN =[01-20](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [21-50](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [51-85](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [86-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} {{ UN =[01-15](#" style="color:blue;border:2px solid blue;padding:2px) [16-46](#" style="color:green;border:2px solid green;padding:2px) [46-85](#" style="color:orange;border:2px solid orange;padding:2px) [86-00](#" style="color:red;border:2px solid red;padding:2px)}} EDIT: Oops, players aren't GMs and can't /desc. Here's a narrower version that works for emoting or whispering: &amp;{template:default} {{ FE =[&lt;60](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [61-90](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [91-99](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px)&nbsp; &nbsp;[100](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ PR =[&lt;55](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [56-85](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [86-99](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px)&nbsp; &nbsp;[100](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ TY =[&lt;50](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [51-80](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [81-97](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [98+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ GD =[&lt;45](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [46-75](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [76-97](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [98+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ EX =[&lt;40](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [41-70](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [71-94](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [95+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ RM =[&lt;35](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [36-65](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [66-94](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [95+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ IN =[&lt;30](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [31-60](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [61-90](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [91+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ AM =[&lt;25](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [26-55](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [56-90](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [91+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ MN =[&lt;20](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [21-50](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [51-85](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [86+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}} {{ UN =[&lt;15](#" style="color:blue;border:1px solid blue;padding:1px) [16-46](#" style="color:green;border:1px solid green;padding:1px) [46-85](#" style="color:orange;border:1px solid orange;padding:1px) [86+](#" style="color:red;border:1px solid red;padding:1px)}}
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Advanced Compendium Sharing Currently, game creators are able to share their compendium purchases within their games with a set number of players via Compendium Sharing . This is great, but the in-game Compendium does not give quite the same experience as reading through the book section by section, like the creator can do in the external Compendium. This trick improves the in-game experience, and can even help users find specific information if they know where it is in the print edition, but are having trouble using the in-game find function. This tip uses D&amp;D 5e as an example, but should work for any game system with a compendium page. Step 1 Go to the 5e Compendium page. Select the content and copy. You may get too much, but you can delete whatever you don't want in the next step. Step 2 Launch your game, create a handout and paste your copied material. You should see a reasonably similar result to the Compendium page. You probably have links to things you don't own there, but you can delete those. If you click on them, they will take you to the marketplace page for purchase, same as if you had done it externally. Save. Step 3 If you want your players to have access to the material, share the handout with them. They can only access things that you have shared in the game, according to your sharing choices. For this reason, you may want to exclude modules, monster books, etc. Season to your liking and comfort level. If you leave in a link to a module and you have personal access, it should still work, but players will not be able to open it. For instance, I own the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica , but don't want to use it in my regular vanilla game. Ravnica material won't appear in the Compendium Sidebar, and players cannot open the book link in the handout, but I can do it normally. In short, this tip makes the shared content more accessible and readable, but does not change the rules for Compendium Sharing. Screen shots Base Handout: Linked page from clicking on link in book (this is a DMG page): Marketplace page from unowned or unshared book (tried to open the Monster Manual from my&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;in an unshared campaign): Bonus tip: If you want to share part of a book, you can click on any book in the external compendium and make a handout from its table of contents page. You can then delete table of contents links to any sections you do not want players to have access to. for these cases, you will probably want to remove the full book link from your base handout. Note that this will not keep your players from seeing any cross-linked content. Example (Eberron handout with campaign and character creation links, but none of the adventure running sections):
I like it!
Keith, you genius! =D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've linked compendium pages in-game before, I just never considered going all the way to the top level.

Edited 1607190155
Hi everybody&nbsp;! I have a little question about the «&nbsp;Dummy Account&nbsp;». keithcurtis said «&nbsp;You can set up your streaming/recording software (I use&nbsp; OBS ) to record the action from the camera feed.&nbsp;» I use OBS too, but I don’t mean what that sentence means exactly. What do I have to do exactly in OBS&nbsp;? For now, my Dummy Account doesn’t allow me to follow PC, he needs to be on the Battlemap to see anything and for record purpuse, I don’t want him on the map, obviously. He does have control on other players' character sheets. Can anyone help me with that&nbsp;? Thanks a lot !
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I usually keep the dummy account reasonably zoomed out, to minimize the amount of correction I need to do for following. You could automate that a bit using this script . There is a technique farther down the thread you could use just to jump to particular encounter areas. You could also use a script like Combat Master, which will automatically ping to the person at the top of the turn order. Also, the dummy account doesn't need its own token. Having control over all PC tokens will give it the combined sight of all tokens.
Thanks a lot keith, and keep up helping us improve our games :)
as suggested elsewhere here is a minor stupid trick for reusing a roll I was driving myself insane trying to reuse a roll for a dex saving throw half damage calculation. Then I thought just reorder the text! original; The kraken magically creates three bolts of lightning, each of which can strike a target the kraken can see within 120 feet of it. A target must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. changed it to; The kraken magically creates three bolts of lightning, each of which can strike a target the kraken can see within 120 feet of it. A target must make a&nbsp; ``DC 23`` Dexterity saving throw, taking half damage ([[floor(0.5*[[4d10]])]]) on a success, or $[[0]] lightning damage on a failed save.&nbsp;

Edited 1607382707
Using Powercard to chat I needed a way for the new players to easily use the chat to whispered back and forth between PC and NPC, etc.So here's a simple work around that saves the players remembering format and such. Just click on your PC token, click on Target PC/NPC token, type away and send. Don't forget the quotes around the ones whispered to. ! **************************************************************************** !power {{ &nbsp;--whisper|"@{target|character_name}","@{selected|character_name}" &nbsp;--name|@{selected|token_name} to @{target|token_name}&nbsp; &nbsp;--?{To @{target|token_name}} }}