Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Susan said: One of the things I really WISH was on the 5E sheets was a way to mark the items that are ATTUNED.  Considering that this could be a very important thing if the players have more than 3 items that need attunement that can mean choices need to be made.  I usually put attuned items at the top of my equipment list, with a dummy item named "____________________" after that section.

Edited 1664993020
Gauss
Forum Champion
DM Susan said: One of the things I really WISH was on the 5E sheets was a way to mark the items that are ATTUNED.  Considering that this could be a very important thing if the players have more than 3 items that need attunement that can mean choices need to be made.  I simply put (A) in the item's name. It has always worked for us, but I can understand if you want some automation...everyone seems to want automation these days. (I am old school, came from pen and paper gaming 40yrs ago.) And what Keith said. :)  I often use breaks between my different types of gear to help separate them. 
I too came from pen&paper gaming (and beat out Gauss by about 5 years :-) but I appreciate having automation where possible. There are just so many things that a DM has to keep track of, or a player has to keep track of, and having some level of automation available to assist in keeping track of things is a benefit. This needn't be complicated - maybe just a checkbox next to it like on the Spells page that you can just check if the item requires attunement. Or maybe having those items in bold  in the item list, when dropped from the compendium. Nothing fancy required, but just something that helps to tell at a glance which items need attunement. Gauss said: DM Susan said: One of the things I really WISH was on the 5E sheets was a way to mark the items that are ATTUNED.  Considering that this could be a very important thing if the players have more than 3 items that need attunement that can mean choices need to be made.  I simply put (A) in the item's name. It has always worked for us, but I can understand if you want some automation...everyone seems to want automation these days. (I am old school, came from pen and paper gaming 40yrs ago.) And what Keith said. :)  I often use breaks between my different types of gear to help separate them. 
I definitely can appreciate the pen & paper aspect--that's how I started as well. But the amount of attention required to play on Roll20 is significantly more than required for in-person. Anything that reduces the burden helps a great deal. Not to mention, for anyone that has issues with focus or something that interferes with their ability to remember to check that sort of thing, removing a barrier to entry is really important.
I'm having that issue where bless is automatically being added to NPC attack rolls. Please tell me EXACTLY how I correct this. I'm not good at this sort of thing nor am I strong with roll20.

Edited 1665063652
Saul J. said: I too came from pen&paper gaming (and beat out Gauss by about 5 years :-) but I appreciate having automation where possible. There are just so many things that a DM has to keep track of, or a player has to keep track of, and having some level of automation available to assist in keeping track of things is a benefit. This needn't be complicated - maybe just a checkbox next to it like on the Spells page that you can just check if the item requires attunement. Or maybe having those items in bold  in the item list, when dropped from the compendium. Nothing fancy required, but just something that helps to tell at a glance which items need attunement. Gauss said: DM Susan said: One of the things I really WISH was on the 5E sheets was a way to mark the items that are ATTUNED.  Considering that this could be a very important thing if the players have more than 3 items that need attunement that can mean choices need to be made.  I simply put (A) in the item's name. It has always worked for us, but I can understand if you want some automation...everyone seems to want automation these days. (I am old school, came from pen and paper gaming 40yrs ago.) And what Keith said. :)  I often use breaks between my different types of gear to help separate them.  Absolutely Agree!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lord Dungeonmeer said: I'm having that issue where bless is automatically being added to NPC attack rolls. Please tell me EXACTLY how I correct this. I'm not good at this sort of thing nor am I strong with roll20. Not sure how that gets turned on, but I've seen it before. Click the option to turn it into a PC temporarily. Click off the Bless modifier. Change it back into an NPC. Let me know if you need more detail on where to find the options.

Edited 1665077694
Gauss
Forum Champion
DM Susan et al, To clarify one thing, many attuned items with bonuses already have the ability to modify the sheet and be turned on/off.  Ring of Protection for example.  If there is an item which supplies a bonus that is not enabled bring that item up for addition. 
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this or whether it should be in the Mod (API) Forum. Previously when using the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion  script in conjunction with this sheet with the Ammo option turn on when you used a resource, or cast a spell the number of remaining resources or spell slots would show up in chat after the spell or attack roll. Currently this is not happening.  The resources and spell slots are being removed and you can see this if you check the character sheet, but the count is not showing in chat.  Nor does it inform you if you have run out of resources or spell slots after the attack or spell has been done. Other information Browser,  Tried on both Chrome and Firefox with the same result. Extentions:  Stylus is normally installed but the problem exists whether the styles are active or not. Talk to Myself is turn off. The APIs are running

Edited 1665516537
Gauss
Forum Champion
Oenanthe said: I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this or whether it should be in the Mod (API) Forum. Previously when using the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion  script in conjunction with this sheet with the Ammo option turn on when you used a resource, or cast a spell the number of remaining resources or spell slots would show up in chat after the spell or attack roll. Currently this is not happening.  The resources and spell slots are being removed and you can see this if you check the character sheet, but the count is not showing in chat.  Nor does it inform you if you have run out of resources or spell slots after the attack or spell has been done. Other information Browser,  Tried on both Chrome and Firefox with the same result. Extentions:  Stylus is normally installed but the problem exists whether the styles are active or not. Talk to Myself is turn off. The APIs are running Yes, probably better in the API forum. If my suggestions below do not work I suggest re-creating the post in the API forum to get more API-specific eyes on it.  I suggest verifying two things:  1) The sandbox is functioning correctly. Restart it if necessary. (I know you said it is running, but if there is an error in it restarting may resolve it.) 2) that your Ammo tracking is not set to silent. Try inputting the "!ammotracking player" command (without quotes). 
Hi I ran into an issue today when loading up my campaign. All of my NPCs had lost their spells and spell slots, and when I create a new NPC it won't add the spells slots to the sheet even if I check the box for "Spellcasting NPC". Has this happened to anyone else? What can be done to fix this, because now I have to try and remember what spells every NPC had and look them up in a separate tab

Edited 1666196716
Sr. K
Pro
Sheet Author
Krazy K said: Hi I ran into an issue today when loading up my campaign. All of my NPCs had lost their spells and spell slots, and when I create a new NPC it won't add the spells slots to the sheet even if I check the box for "Spellcasting NPC". Has this happened to anyone else? What can be done to fix this, because now I have to try and remember what spells every NPC had and look them up in a separate tab Spells are still there, but don't display in the NPC character sheet type anymore, only in the PC Spells tab. It was not happening last night
Same issue here, runs fine yesterday 
Gauss
Forum Champion
For those people having a problem with NPC spells not showing up, I am not seeing this problem.  Could you please provide screenshots of both the NPC sheet and the NPC sheet's settings? Additionally, which browser (and version #) are you using? 
Sr. K
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss said: For those people having a problem with NPC spells not showing up, I am not seeing this problem.  Could you please provide screenshots of both the NPC sheet and the NPC sheet's settings? Additionally, which browser (and version #) are you using?  It seems to be fixed now.
I'm having an issue where I am my players, each of which are in different countries, are unable to see the Advantage toggle. The Whisper toggle is there, but no existing or created sheet is able to see the Advantage toggle.

Edited 1666318703
Gauss
Forum Champion
Zaeryss said: I'm having an issue where I am my players, each of which are in different countries, are unable to see the Advantage toggle. The Whisper toggle is there, but no existing or created sheet is able to see the Advantage toggle. Confirmed, this has been forwarded to the Devs. In the meantime I suggest using Always Roll Advantage.&nbsp; Going to combine threads on this bug, please use this thread for future correspondence:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11152763/advantage-toggle-buttons-disappeared/?pageforid=11153023#post-11153023" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11152763/advantage-toggle-buttons-disappeared/?pageforid=11153023#post-11153023</a>
Hey folks, This issue should now be resolved, it may require you and your players to exit and rejoin the game for the toggle to return. I'll watch this thread over the next few hours to make sure there are no lingering adverse effects. Apologies for the inconvenience!
no idea if it's been brought up or not but it'd be great if there was an option on the sheet to make the carry weight calculations ignore the weight of the currency that people have on them.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Claire said: no idea if it's been brought up or not but it'd be great if there was an option on the sheet to make the carry weight calculations ignore the weight of the currency that people have on them. Put any non-numerical character (such as an apostrophe [']) before the numbers. It will not be ready as a number, and the weight will not be calculated.
Hey looking for a way to take off coin weight, is this an option in current 5e Character Sheets? We're using "DnD 5e by Roll20" sheets.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
:D Hi Nathan! Did you see the post directly above yours?
I'm trying to call the long rest and short rest functions from token actions in order to add a chat message showing that a rest was taken, here's what Ive got: /em takes a long rest. %{selected|long_rest} The Long Rest works fine, all the spell slots and resources are reset, however the message is never sent to chat, any ideas?

Edited 1667002047
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Ryan85202! How are you triggering the macro? If it is inside of a roll template, that won't work.
keithcurtis said: Hi Ryan85202! How are you triggering the macro? If it is inside of a roll template, that won't work. No roll template used, I have it typed in as shown as an ability on the 5E character sheet.

Edited 1667045352
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ryan85202 &nbsp;said: I'm trying to call the long rest and short rest functions from token actions in order to add a chat message showing that a rest was taken, here's what Ive got: /em takes a long rest. %{selected|long_rest} The Long Rest works fine, all the spell slots and resources are reset, however the message is never sent to chat, any ideas? What does the %{selected|long_rest} macro look like?
Gauss said: What does the %{selected|long_rest} macro look like? I have no idea, it's built into the sheet.&nbsp; Entering %{selected|long_rest} in chat is the same as clicking the Long Rest button on the sheet.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ryan85202 said: keithcurtis said: Hi Ryan85202! How are you triggering the macro? If it is inside of a roll template, that won't work. No roll template used, I have it typed in as shown as an ability on the 5E character sheet. Yeah, I can't get that to work either, so long as there is no ability called "long_rest" on the same sheet. Once I create such an ability, it all works fine. As Gauss says, it would be helpful to know what your long_rest ability looks like.

Edited 1667062414
Gauss
Forum Champion
So, learn something new every day. %{charname|long_rest} or %{selected|long_rest} is a "hidden macro" built into the 5e by Roll20 sheet.&nbsp; I cannot find anything on the Attributes &amp; Abilities page that it is referencing, but it does work all by itself.&nbsp; Out of curiosity, how did you come across it?&nbsp; So, the problem with that is, being hidden, I have no idea what it is actually doing, probably an character sheet script. Someone with more knowledge would have to pipe in here, but with the 5e by Roll20 sheet being proprietary I doubt anyone will have more than an idea of what it is doing.&nbsp; In short, you probably cannot combine it with other commands...unless you use API scripts to delay it firing.&nbsp; Edit: I have an idea, you can sort of get it to work if&nbsp; you do the following:&nbsp; Macro has a statement that you are taking a long rest, and then a button for you to press. /em takes a long rest /w @{selected|character_name} &amp;{template:npcaction}{{rname=@{selected|character_name}}}{{name=@{selected|npc_type}}}{{description=**Long Rest** [Long Rest](~selected|long_rest) }} &amp;{noerror}
I found it by experimenting.&nbsp; As far as I can tell, for most of the items on the sheet that you can click on and get an output to chat, you can also access with %{}.&nbsp; The naming convention for the built in sheet functions is pretty straight forward so the first thing I tried was %{selected|long_rest} and it worked.&nbsp; I didn't realize that this was an undocumented feature. You solution will work, it's just an extra button click and still quicker than switching to the character sheet.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gauss said: Out of curiosity, how did you come across it?&nbsp; So, the problem with that is, being hidden, I have no idea what it is actually doing, probably an character sheet script. Someone with more knowledge would have to pipe in here, but with the 5e by Roll20 sheet being proprietary I doubt anyone will have more than an idea of what it is doing.&nbsp; It's an action button being called directly from chat - there's no traditional roll to be sent to chat, as it basically goes straight from the action button 'click' (the %{character|long_rest} macro sends a button click for the act_long_rest button) to pure Javascript. There *is* a cute console log if you open your devtools, but there's no traditional chat text associated with the action. I think this method of calling an action button was introduced with Custom Roll Parsing, though it may have been possible before, I can't remember&nbsp; for sure.
Feature Request Brief Description: having items on character sheet nestable inside bag items to help players organize, and possibly track bag of holding capacity
Isaac W. said: Feature Request Brief Description: having items on character sheet nestable inside bag items to help players organize, and possibly track bag of holding capacity I currently create a handout for any Bag of Holding or similar item that a character owns and allow that character editing capability, but I like the idea of having a way to track the holding capacity for those items. We've been organizing our equipment list manually like this:
Rick A. said: ...We've been organizing our equipment list manually... I think that's a fantastic step in the right direction. I am hoping to get something collapsable, and something that I wouldn't need to do manually on every character's sheet.
I'd support this, too.&nbsp;

Edited 1667465560
If you hover over an item slot, you see a tiny "i" in the right corner. If you click on that, you see a text area where you can put in all the Items you want or that are in a specific bag. Downsides to this: Weight (if needed) is not calculated for the bag itself you only see the Items included if you click on the "i" on the respective Item slot... Rick A. said: Isaac W. said: Feature Request Brief Description: having items on character sheet nestable inside bag items to help players organize, and possibly track bag of holding capacity I currently create a handout for any Bag of Holding or similar item that a character owns and allow that character editing capability, but I like the idea of having a way to track the holding capacity for those items. We've been organizing our equipment list manually like this:
I'm not seeing an "i". Why am I not seeing an "i"?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lexin said: I'm not seeing an "i". Why am I not seeing an "i"? It's super-duper tiny, and can be easily covered by the cursor:
Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot!
Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot!
I don't think an arrow would be much bigger or much more visible. What they need is for whatever is in that spot (arrow, "i", or something else) to get bigger when you hover the mouse over it. TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: I don't think an arrow would be much bigger or much more visible. What they need is for whatever is in that spot (arrow, "i", or something else) to get bigger when you hover the mouse over it. TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot! This bit of Stylus code will fix it: .charsheet .equipment .inventorysubflag + span { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 20px; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 20px; &nbsp; &nbsp; top: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; right: -8px; &nbsp; &nbsp; font-size: 16px; }
I don't like using stylus codes. Roll20 should implement it as part of their product. keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: I don't think an arrow would be much bigger or much more visible. What they need is for whatever is in that spot (arrow, "i", or something else) to get bigger when you hover the mouse over it. TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot! This bit of Stylus code will fix it: .charsheet .equipment .inventorysubflag + span { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 20px; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 20px; &nbsp; &nbsp; top: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; right: -8px; &nbsp; &nbsp; font-size: 16px; }
The arrow would be visible all the time, not just on hover :) And regarding the size it would be nearly the same as Keith posted with Stylus BUT instead of being displayed on the same place as the 1 it would be placed next to it... (kinda hard to explain). To have a better understanding, just have a look a the Arcane Codex Sheet. You do not have to create a game with it, just look at it in the game creation screen. Then you know what I am talking about ;) Saul J. said: I don't think an arrow would be much bigger or much more visible. What they need is for whatever is in that spot (arrow, "i", or something else) to get bigger when you hover the mouse over it. TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot!
I like the hover idea better. It'd be out of the way when you don't need it, saving real estate on the sheet for other more essential information. But, then in your face when you need it... TheMarkus1204 said: The arrow would be visible all the time, not just on hover :) And regarding the size it would be nearly the same as Keith posted with Stylus BUT instead of being displayed on the same place as the 1 it would be placed next to it... (kinda hard to explain). To have a better understanding, just have a look a the Arcane Codex Sheet. You do not have to create a game with it, just look at it in the game creation screen. Then you know what I am talking about ;) Saul J. said: I don't think an arrow would be much bigger or much more visible. What they need is for whatever is in that spot (arrow, "i", or something else) to get bigger when you hover the mouse over it. TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, that spot... It can easily be missed just because it is that small... Wish they'd replace it with an arrow (like in the Arcane Codex Sheet) or something else that would be more clear that it expands this section... Lexin said: Oh, that spot! I thought it was a spot!
I don't understand what a stylus code is or where I would put it. Can someone advise? Saul J. said: I don't like using stylus codes. Roll20 should implement it as part of their product.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To Saul: I don't post half of the Stylus codes I use, because I agree with you&nbsp;— Roll20 should address things like this. My intent was to provide a workaround for people who would like this feature now , since I don't have any control over Roll20 code. There are a huge number of little fixes that I feel there should be a code push to address. It's there for those who want it. To Lexin: Stylus is a browser extension that intercepts an incoming web page and alters the styling code before it is rendered in your browser. As extensions go, it's pretty darn safe, but it's a good idea to turn it off while troubleshooting and definitely before posting a help center report. You can find instructions on installing Stylus, along with a whole host of styles in any of these threads: Show Off Your Style Show Off Your Style 2: The Stylening! Show off your Style 3: Third Time is the Charm!
See, here's the thing about styles: I *know* I used one or two styles when I first started using Roll20. In fact, I think it was one of yours - the one that makes the macro bar more compact. But, I have no idea where it is, what happened to it, or why it's no longer working. There's no extension in use for styles, and there's no way to see what styles might be hidden away, that I know of because you need an extension to use them (as far as I know). My guess is that the styles went away at some point with a new version of Chrome or something. But, because they are hidden away, they are easy to forget about, especially when trying to troubleshoot a problem. So, I don't use them any more. I don't like things that are hidden away, that are hard to find, that you need special tools to find. I like everything out in the open, and "in your face" so that you can find them easily enough when you need to update, delete, or turn them off when needed.&nbsp; As computers get more sophisticated, as software gets more varied, and things change, it's hard to remember all those little bits that are hidden away somewhere. It's harder to find them when needed when there's a problem. And, it's harder to know what is affecting what when you do have a problem. I like the KISS principle and have for many, many years even when I was working as a computer systems programmer. The simpler things are, the more "in your face" they are, the easier it is to deal with them when something goes wrong. So, I don't use styles.&nbsp; That's my opinion. And, I realize it's not particularly relevant to the topic of this thread so I'll shut up now. :-)
To Lexin: Stylus is a browser extension that intercepts an incoming web page and alters the styling code before it is rendered in your browser.&nbsp; Oh, dear. Anything which is going to take me hours to explain to my players, and even longer to get them to install on their browsers, is out, I'm afraid.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lexin said: To Lexin: Stylus is a browser extension that intercepts an incoming web page and alters the styling code before it is rendered in your browser.&nbsp; Oh, dear. Anything which is going to take me hours to explain to my players, and even longer to get them to install on their browsers, is out, I'm afraid.&nbsp; I feel your pain. I had to handhold my players through the process. Luckily, Stylus lets you make an export file, so they never have to see any code. Despite that, it took me over half an hour with one of my more tech-challenged players. Most of them did it in a few minutes. Understandable.