Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

Edited 1670771331
It looks like adding an option geared towards one group of players has resulted in a decrease of functionality for another group. How about at least creating a toggle that lets the game creator chose which level-up icon to use? After explaining the new button to my players I can trust them not to mess with it, but why was the behavior of the old level-up icon changed? I was creating a major NPC yesterday using charactermancer, and when I input the XP for their level the level-up icon did not appear next to the Experience Points field. It used to be that as long as the XP value was greater than the character level the icon would stay visible, signaling the opportunity to level up. My players are going to hate this.
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: It should be restored back to the old way  I agree. If any changes are needed, it just needed to be in red to make it more obvious as I too have had to explain multiple times to players where to find the Charactermancer.
This really concerns me. You did not think that some segment of players would press such a button when they see it? Especially a level up button? Players love pressing buttons, and they especially love levelling up. This tells me, and I'm a developer myself, that you aren't fully considering or aware of the  full range of how users interact with your product. I've warned my players not to press it. Luckily the last two sessions were with players that don't press big red buttons, because the others are on holidays/etc.  Miguel P. said: Hey there folks, We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience the new level up button may have brought to some of you. With that said, this feature was pushed live after a good amount of feedback from players who played by milestone or could not find the little black button once the character reached the XP threshold to go to the next level. We did not anticipate some players would go through a full level up once they saw the button, at the opposite, we thought that they would cancel Charactermancer and leave knowing about the new possibility. We are evaluating how to improve this to serve all players. Jonh P. , please don’t release a demon lord on your players.
Anyways, I have a list of issues with the 5e sheet as given by roll20.  We need a box for resistances and immunities, including conditions We need a box for alternate movement modes, like flying, swimming, climbing. Even if its manual entry only, that's fine. I just want a spot for my players to see what their movement speeds are Some way of differentiating spells from different sources (domain, oath, feats, etc) - colored text would be the easiest. Again, if it is purely manual entry, that is fine, as anything that makes life easier for my players would be good.  Prepared spell casters have been in 5e since the very beginning. Why does the spell selection on level up still  not handle them properly? And then there's the speed of loading a sheet with a bunch of spells on it for prepared casters. With 1dnd coming, more casters are prepared casters, including rangers and bards, and cantrips can be prepared. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Good list. We need a box for resistances and immunities, including conditions That would be handy, though I think there are so many exceptions and specific-beats general, that it would likely be for reference only, not really affecting anything mechanically. There is also the issue that character sheets frequently have a one-to-many relationship with tokens. One goblin sheet could represent a dozen tokens, and "prone" for example, should be marked on the token, rather than the sheet. PCs might be a different matter, but NPC sheets would not benefit from this. Token markers are the current solution, and have the virtue of being usable by any system played on Roll20. We need a box for alternate movement modes, like flying, swimming, climbing. Even if its manual entry only, that's fine. I just want a spot for my players to see what their movement speeds are Agreed. There should remain a primary movement rate attribute, to aid in token bar linking. Some way of differentiating spells from different sources (domain, oath, feats, etc) - colored text would be the easiest. Again, if it is purely manual entry, that is fine, as anything that makes life easier for my players would be good.  These fields exist in the spell descriptions, but some sort of additional coding would be helpful, Currently, in the collapsed state, only the "innate" field displays. Prepared spell casters have been in 5e since the very beginning. Why does the spell selection on level up still not handle them properly? And then there's the speed of loading a sheet with a bunch of spells on it for prepared casters. With 1dnd coming, more casters are prepared casters, including rangers and bards, and cantrips can be prepared.  This is likely going to remain, since it is a limitation of running in a browser. There have to be some caps on data, and if you don't have a spell prepared, it impacts performance to have it on your sheet. A better way of importing spells to a sheet might help, perhaps a dropdown or choosing system to include or read from the Compendium would help, but such a system would have to account for homebrew, spells from magic items, feats, boons, spells with edited descriptions or names, and more.
Well, if we're going to ask for new features: multiple spell lists. I currently have one player with a Warlock/Sorcerer multiclass, and you handle spell slots differently between the two.  It would be very useful to have a page for Warlock spell slots and a page for Sorcerer (or two lists on one page or whatever). It's a niche feature, for sure, but it is part of the base multiclass rules in the Player's Handbook.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The sheet is not very friendly to Warlocks at all.
Agreed. And it's even worse if it's a multiclass character. I had a player who wanted to play a warlock early on in my campaign. He gave up because it got too confusing to deal with and made a new character.  keithcurtis said: The sheet is not very friendly to Warlocks at all.
Just wanted to add my voice to the dislike of having the charactermancer button always present. I’m cool with it being red, and moving it is fine too, I guess, but having it always there is a pain. I’m not sure why just I’m putting the necessary XP number to level up doesn’t work well enough for milestones (that’s what I do in milestone games), or why it couldn’t be a toggle on the settings page to turn it always on or controlled by XP total. My players were seconds away from leveling themselves up last game when they noticed the button before I stopped them. Considering that undoing a premature level up would be a big headache I just don’t understand why this change was made and especially why it was done with no notice/warning. Toggle setting or back to the old way, please.
I can understand where you are coming from with the milestone method. But I have played with points (which I prefer) and with milestone.  When playing with milestone I just award Experience points to the next level minimum +1, Works out just fine for us.  the other option would be to give a heads up on interactive changes coming to the sheets so I can tell the players "Don't touch that button".
  I think there are two lessons to be learned here: 1. There are many ways to solve the problem to make both milestone and point users happy without putting a big red button permanently on the sheet that people will want to press over and over and over... 2. Do not make changes to a popular and widely used character sheet without announcing it in advance  and giving everyone at least one week  notice. and, while I'm at it, there's a third lesson: 3. Do not make changes to the UI without announcing it  in advance  and giving everyone at least   one week  notice. I was surprised to log in and find the ability to add a door suddenly in the menus. While this is not an issue, other changes have recently been made to the system without warning  and not all of the changes were good or well received. 
+1 Tyler L. said: Anyways, I have a list of issues with the 5e sheet as given by roll20.  We need a box for resistances and immunities, including conditions We need a box for alternate movement modes, like flying, swimming, climbing. Even if its manual entry only, that's fine. I just want a spot for my players to see what their movement speeds are Some way of differentiating spells from different sources (domain, oath, feats, etc) - colored text would be the easiest. Again, if it is purely manual entry, that is fine, as anything that makes life easier for my players would be good.  Prepared spell casters have been in 5e since the very beginning. Why does the spell selection on level up still  not handle them properly? And then there's the speed of loading a sheet with a bunch of spells on it for prepared casters. With 1dnd coming, more casters are prepared casters, including rangers and bards, and cantrips can be prepared.  +1 keithcurtis said: The sheet is not very friendly to Warlocks at all. +1 Saul J. said:   I think there are two lessons to be learned here: 1. There are many ways to solve the problem to make both milestone and point users happy without putting a big red button permanently on the sheet that people will want to press over and over and over... 2. Do not make changes to a popular and widely used character sheet without announcing it in advance  and giving everyone at least one week  notice. and, while I'm at it, there's a third lesson: 3. Do not make changes to the UI without announcing it  in advance  and giving everyone at least   one week  notice. I was surprised to log in and find the ability to add a door suddenly in the menus. While this is not an issue, other changes have recently been made to the system without warning  and not all of the changes were good or well received. 
How are people managing HP Max reduction? Or, temporary HP+current HP in the token? There doesn't seem to be an elegant way to manage this info with the sheet and sheet-token interface. We've been putting the damage in the HP max as a formula (i.e. 50HPmax is reduced by 10 so 50-10 in the HPmax field of the sheet.) Temp HP could be just added to current HP bar but then you don't need the field in the sheet.
In my game and the ones that my friends run, we do it manually. Then again, most of us have been playing together since the '80s so we trust(*) each other not to cheat.  (*) By trust I mean fear of the merciless, unrelenting razzing that the offender would suffer for the rest of their lives. Doug E. said: How are people managing HP Max reduction? Or, temporary HP+current HP in the token?

Edited 1671387718
I think all of this is really blown way out of proportions.  Why did the players that clicked on the charactermancer button when not having sufficient EXP for the next level up, continued the level up process instead of canceling it, that is purely an error on the side of the user and not the system. The amount of EXP Earned/Needed to level up a character should not be a secret to the player when there are clear rules in the PHB on how much EXP a character needs to advance. (You are more than free to change that though) Also, even IF players continued the process of a level up... It's easy to undo it, you just delete the class features/feats and rewind the stats if they got stat boost... I really don't see what all of the fuss is about.  I do think the button should not be there to begin with and the little window popping up when you scroll your mouse over it should appear, giving the user info that it can be canceled. My group plays with milestones and I didn't want to click on it, thinking you can't cancel it, needing to finish leveling up despite knowing that it would take me less than 3 minutes to rewind the changes... but then again, I don't use charactermancer as I don't like it and I think it's unneeded for anyone who read the core rules.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Undoing isn't always easy to do for folks unfamiliar with the sheet. Frequently things are tweaked on the settings page, Jack of Trades, Reliable Talent, Alternative AC calculations, and more. It can be a problem at certain levels and classes. That being said, I largely agree that the new placement, while easier to see, is less tied to XP users and should be handled with common sense.
Its primarily Roll20 shooting themselves in the foot as usual.  If they decided that the button always being visible was going to be better overall, they could have announced that upcoming change a week, two weeks, etc., before the change with a before and after screenshot.  This would have given DMs the chance to inform their players of the upcoming change to avoid system shock. That said, options are always better than being forced to accept a change, so why not tie it to a toggle? -Adam
Please give us the option to DISABLE Charactermancer completely! We use Milestones and accidentally clicking on that stupid Button - starting the charactermancer - which leads to loss of progess is NOT FUN!!! Yes, you can cancel it and return to the character sheet this way but it is just unnecessary!
This.  +1 Adam Caramon said: Its primarily Roll20 shooting themselves in the foot as usual.  If they decided that the button always being visible was going to be better overall, they could have announced that upcoming change a week, two weeks, etc., before the change with a before and after screenshot.  This would have given DMs the chance to inform their players of the upcoming change to avoid system shock. That said, options are always better than being forced to accept a change, so why not tie it to a toggle? -Adam
Please rollback the big Red Charactermancer button that breaks the character sheet. Having it only appear when the character has the required HP was a really nice feature and you could still easily get to it from the sheet setting tab if needed.
They did this because many groups use the milestone system instead of XP. And those players - maybe - use the charactermancer (or want to do so). That is why they put up this big red - annoying - button there... I REALLY hope they either let us hide the button in settings or disable charactermancer completely as some players level manually and don't need / use it... Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: Please rollback the big Red Charactermancer button that breaks the character sheet. Having it only appear when the character has the required HP was a really nice feature and you could still easily get to it from the sheet setting tab if needed.
They gave us all these nice shiny new votes, so I've added a request to add a game settings disable for charactermancer in Suggestions &amp; Ideas.&nbsp; If this matters to you, vote (and add any thoughts you have on how it should work). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/</a>
I placed this comment in the vote (I did not give a vote to it) but I wanted to say this here too: I agree that there should be a setting to completely disable the charactermancer. BUT, those of us who use the charactermancer, and use the point system, should be able to disable the always-there-red-button. So, there are really 4 possible settings: &nbsp;1. The red button is there always and the charactermancer can be activated at any time. &nbsp;2. The red button is there only when there are enough points to go up a level for those that use experience points. &nbsp;3. The red button is never there, but the charactermancer can be started manually whenever needed/wanted. &nbsp;4. The charactermancer is completely disabled. Ken S. said: They gave us all these nice shiny new votes, so I've added a request to add a game settings disable for charactermancer in Suggestions &amp; Ideas.&nbsp; If this matters to you, vote (and add any thoughts you have on how it should work). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/</a>
Already saw this and voted it up... This needs to be implemented... Ken S. said: They gave us all these nice shiny new votes, so I've added a request to add a game settings disable for charactermancer in Suggestions &amp; Ideas.&nbsp; If this matters to you, vote (and add any thoughts you have on how it should work). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/</a>
Ken S. said: They gave us all these nice shiny new votes, so I've added a request to add a game settings disable for charactermancer in Suggestions &amp; Ideas.&nbsp; If this matters to you, vote (and add any thoughts you have on how it should work). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11241179/</a> Done.&nbsp; No comment needed ... just upvoted
Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, or if it has been asked already. Will support for the 5e character sheet continue with the arrival of One D&amp;D? (And this is off topic, but will we still have access to 5e marketplace content?)&nbsp; Thanks to everyone here who work hard to solve problems before I even notice they exist!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not an official answer but: The 5e sheet will probably be replaced by a OneD&amp;D sheet, depending on the degree of changes. There will absolutely need to be a sheet that runs any current material. Anything you have bought is yours. I cannot envision a case where anything you paid for would be removed. WotC has edited content, but even in cases where they have delisted a title (ex. Volo's Guide), if you purchased it, you keep it, even if it can no longer be purchased. The actual mechanics of the transition are probably not known at this point. Even to WotC.
WotC has stated that OneDnD will be ‘backward compatible’ with 5th edition, so best case scenario is that there will be toggles on the sheet for specific 5E versus OneDnD updates. Or it may be a global change or separate character sheet altogether.&nbsp; Aside from that announcement from WotC, there is also strong speculation that WotC (via D&amp;D Beyond) is attempting to create their own VTT, so they may limit the official licensing with other platforms at that point.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
They have released wording to the effect that existing license holders (Roll20 and presumably FG) have long-standing contracts that guarantee continued support. This is ultimately between companies though.
Thanks guys. What a headache!
right so when I turn on dark mode the features and traits box changes place and some funky stuff happen to the hp and death saves bo

Edited 1672271065
Gauss
Forum Champion
leomata said: right so when I turn on dark mode the features and traits box changes place and some funky stuff happen to the hp and death saves bo I am not seeing that on my end, not with a new character and not with older characters.&nbsp; Some questions:&nbsp; What browser are you using?&nbsp; Are you running any extensions?&nbsp; Have you tried incognito/privacy mode? Does this happen with all characters or just one specific character?&nbsp; Does this happen in other campaigns?

Edited 1672422590
Gauss said: leomata said: right so when I turn on dark mode the features and traits box changes place and some funky stuff happen to the hp and death saves bo I am not seeing that on my end, not with a new character and not with older characters.&nbsp; Some questions:&nbsp; What browser are you using?&nbsp; Are you running any extensions?&nbsp; Have you tried incognito/privacy mode? Does this happen with all characters or just one specific character?&nbsp; Does this happen in other campaigns? I apologies for the late response but here are my answers 1)Firefox&nbsp; and brave but this screenshot was taken in firefox 2) an ad blocker and a vpn 3)tested it out in a private window and yeah it still happens but I normally dont use a private window 4) every character sheet for me 5)In every single campaign on my list for extra information it started happening after I reset my pc
Gauss
Forum Champion
Does it happen in Chrome?&nbsp; Note: Only Chrome and Firefox are supported browsers.&nbsp;
Gauss said: Does it happen in Chrome?&nbsp; Note: Only Chrome and Firefox are supported browsers.&nbsp; tested it out in chrome and yes it does happen
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although it's unlikely, given the number of browsers you have tried, check the browser zoom level and the character sheet zoom level. A lot of the text in that screen shot looks oversized.
keithcurtis said: Although it's unlikely, given the number of browsers you have tried, check the browser zoom level and the character sheet zoom level. A lot of the text in that screen shot looks oversized. Right so I decreased the zoom level of my browser and my pc itself and nothing happened I also attempted to decrease my laptop's zoom level and still the same result. I don't know how to change the sheet's zoom level so I havent tried that out. The thing about it is if I change it to light mode its normal&nbsp; but if I use dark mode it gets funky
Tyler L. said: Anyways, I have a list of issues with the 5e sheet as given by roll20.&nbsp; We need a box for resistances and immunities, including conditions We need a box for alternate movement modes, like flying, swimming, climbing. Even if its manual entry only, that's fine. I just want a spot for my players to see what their movement speeds are Some way of differentiating spells from different sources (domain, oath, feats, etc) - colored text would be the easiest. Again, if it is purely manual entry, that is fine, as anything that makes life easier for my players would be good.&nbsp; Prepared spell casters have been in 5e since the very beginning. Why does the spell selection on level up still &nbsp;not handle them properly? And then there's the speed of loading a sheet with a bunch of spells on it for prepared casters. With 1dnd coming, more casters are prepared casters, including rangers and bards, and cantrips can be prepared.&nbsp; Agreed on all of the above. I use the Proficiencies section to add Movement Speeds, Resistances/Immunities/Conditions. As far as differentiating spells, I use the [Inate] part of the spell description so it shows beside the spell name. I also do this for Prepared as well. Neither of my suggestions are perfect answers, but they at least are clickable areas as well to quickly post to chat if needed
leomata said: right so when I turn on dark mode the features and traits box changes place and some funky stuff happen to the hp and death saves bo I would try clearing your chat archive (from outside the game), as corrupted chat archives can do funky things to games.&nbsp; You could try making a copy of the game first, see if it's an issue there, and if so clear that chat archive and see if that fixes it.
Jarren said: leomata said: right so when I turn on dark mode the features and traits box changes place and some funky stuff happen to the hp and death saves bo I would try clearing your chat archive (from outside the game), as corrupted chat archives can do funky things to games.&nbsp; You could try making a copy of the game first, see if it's an issue there, and if so clear that chat archive and see if that fixes it. Excuse me if I do sound rude but I presume that this is if im the Game master right? Well I dont really know how to do that and it happens in games whether im the player or the game master
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This isn't a chat display issue, so I doubt that clearing the chat archive would do anything to help the sheet display. If you have verified that it is not a browser or journal zoom setting, it's most likely a font or css conflict. It sounds like you have tested on an entirely different computer (you mentioned a laptop) with no change? And a private browsing window also brought no change? Your VPN and ad blocker, are they set to not be used in a private browsing window? The purpose of testing with a pbw is to temporarily ignore all extensions. Can you (for the purposes of the test) turn off your VPN and ad blocker manually? It could be that a vital resource (such as a served font) is being blocked. If this turns out to be the case, it may be possible to whitelist the source. If none of this is helpful, your next best bet is to open a character sheet, gater a&nbsp; Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ), and file a formal&nbsp; Help Center Request .
keithcurtis said: This isn't a chat display issue, so I doubt that clearing the chat archive would do anything to help the sheet display. If you have verified that it is not a browser or journal zoom setting, it's most likely a font or css conflict. It sounds like you have tested on an entirely different computer (you mentioned a laptop) with no change? And a private browsing window also brought no change? Your VPN and ad blocker, are they set to not be used in a private browsing window? The purpose of testing with a pbw is to temporarily ignore all extensions. Can you (for the purposes of the test) turn off your VPN and ad blocker manually? It could be that a vital resource (such as a served font) is being blocked. If this turns out to be the case, it may be possible to whitelist the source. If none of this is helpful, your next best bet is to open a character sheet, gater a&nbsp; Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ), and file a formal&nbsp; Help Center Request . Apologies for my poor choice of words but I only own a laptop so I tested everything out in it. I'll try what you suggested but I'd like to add one last thing, this issue started after I factory reset my laptop for storage reasons on other devices I don't really run into this issue so I'm not really sure. thanks for your help and apologies for wasting your time.
I would love if the charactermancer could include the sidekick classes from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. When making NPCs currently, I generally make the have classes cause it's simpler than editing the NPC sheets. The sidekick classes would solve the issue and make them easier to deal with.

Edited 1672611878
Gauss
Forum Champion
Nilja said: I would love if the charactermancer could include the sidekick classes from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. When making NPCs currently, I generally make the have classes cause it's simpler than editing the NPC sheets. The sidekick classes would solve the issue and make them easier to deal with. I suggest using the PC sheet, custom class settings for Sidekicks.&nbsp; There are only a few things that class controls when you set class in Roll20: hit dice size, spell slots, and proficient saving throws. Sidekicks do not have a class hit dice and they do not have default saving throw proficiencies like regular classes do. This makes spell slots the only reason for creating a Sidekick class, but that can be set in the page's settings.&nbsp;

Edited 1672721099
Jesse
Plus
I'm using Firefox and encountered black boxes in the coin tabs making it very hard to see the amount on hand.&nbsp; Chrome guys don't seem to be encountering this.&nbsp; Wondering if there's a fix.

Edited 1672727878
Do you have ANY Addons enabled? Just tested this in Chrome AND Firefox and don't have this issue... Jesse said: I'm using Firefox and encountered black boxes in the coin tabs making it very hard to see the amount on hand.&nbsp; Chrome guys don't seem to be encountering this.&nbsp; Wondering if there's a fix.
Cause is ControlD, a DNS service like PiHole that blackholes DNS requests to advertising, tracking, crypto-mining, and malware/phishing sites.&nbsp; Not sure why it's flagging something in the character sheet but I'll just deal with the black boxes.&nbsp; I'd rather not take the chance given Roll20's soft on security approach.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jesse said: Cause is ControlD, a DNS service like PiHole that blackholes DNS requests to advertising, tracking, crypto-mining, and malware/phishing sites.&nbsp; Not sure why it's flagging something in the character sheet but I'll just deal with the black boxes.&nbsp; I'd rather not take the chance given Roll20's soft on security approach. Can you whitelist it?&nbsp;
Yeah I can but I don't want to because I don't know what in the character sheet triggered the block in the first place.&nbsp; Tracking cookies I don't particularly care about but Trojans or malicious code are also very real&nbsp; possibilities as well.&nbsp; Most sheets on Roll20 are crowd sourced.&nbsp; The vectors for attack are kind of broad.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The border images on those inputs are hosted at github for some reason, instead of Roll20.&nbsp; Seems like your guardian software might be a tad over-protective.