Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20

TheWebCoder said: Is there a recommended way to handle Wild Magic Surges in the official 5e sheet? I'd love an attacher for spells that rolls a d20 to determine if there is a surge, and then some kind of API script or table that rolls it? Any suggestions? Thank you. The best way would be using a Rollable Table.  If you don't have a Pro account, then I would suggest creating a button within the d20 roll that is clicked to then roll on the WildMagicSurge table. Since you have a Pro account, there's a few different ways that it could be accomplished with Mod scripts... it really depends on exactly how you want it to be done and how much effort you're willing to put into setting it up.  CustomizableRollListener could listen for spells that are cast and automatically roll the WildMagicSurge.  Recursive Tables would be a good option to roll on the WildMagicSurge table, or you could use Muler and a few of Timmaugh's scripts to consolidate it all together, or likely ScriptCards could do it as well.
I recently created an Aasimar character, based on MMotM, and it seems like the charactermancer messed up:    - According to MMotM, the character can be Medium or Small. I did not get that option.    - The charactermancer asked for my choice of subrace. Subraces are eliminated in MMotM. Instead, you get a choice of "Revelation option" at 3rd level.     - The charactermancer added +1 to my CON. This ability score increase is eliminated in MMotM. I do own the MMotM book on Roll20 and I selected the Aasimar version from that book when I chose the character race. But, the charactermancer just didn't get it right. These are were all fixable manually, but it is an annoyance, even though it's a minor one. Just an FYI for the Powers That Be....
Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll d100 on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect. This is a core rule in the PHB if more info is needed, but long story short there's a 5% chance per spell cast of a Wild Magic Surge, and if one occurs you then roll d100 and reference a long table that has roughly 50 possible results. Thank you in advance for any recommendations. Gauss said: TheWebCoder  said: Is there a recommended way to handle Wild Magic Surges in the official 5e sheet? I'd love an attacher for spells that rolls a d20 to determine if there is a surge, and then some kind of API script or table that rolls it? Any suggestions? Thank you. Could you state the rules involved? I think it can be done without an API script.

Edited 1678652424
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll d100 on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect. This is a core rule in the PHB if more info is needed, but long story short there's a 5% chance per spell cast of a Wild Magic Surge, and if one occurs you then roll d100 and reference a long table that has roughly 50 possible results. Thank you in advance for any recommendations. Gauss said: TheWebCoder  said: Is there a recommended way to handle Wild Magic Surges in the official 5e sheet? I'd love an attacher for spells that rolls a d20 to determine if there is a surge, and then some kind of API script or table that rolls it? Any suggestions? Thank you. Could you state the rules involved? I think it can be done without an API script. Then that should be pretty simple. Make a table with the options, then roll a 1d20, on a 1 the table gets rolled. On a non-1 the "No Wild Magic" table is "rolled". That should be able to be included in either the description of an attack (for spell attacks) or in the spell descriptions. Or as a separate macro.  To make this: Step 1: Make a table and call it 1WildMagic Create all the entries you need (from the table in the rules). Set the names to the text in the table's entry. Example: "Lose 1d4 hp"    (without quotes)   in the book's entry would have "Lose 1d4 hp"    (without quotes)   as the name of the Roll20 table entry.  Note: any variable effects from the table cannot be rolled automatically. Example: If there is a result that says "Lose 1d4 hp" you will still have to roll that after getting the result. It will not roll the 1d4.  Set the weights to correspond to their chances of being rolled on the 1d100 table. Example: an entry that happens on a 01-02 (2% chance) would have a weight of 2.  Step 2: Make a table and call it 0WildMagic Create a single entry that says "No Wild Magic" (without quotes) or something.  Step 3: add the following to each spell's attack description or spellcard. Or put it in a macro.  [[1t[[[1d20<1]]WildMagic]]] It will roll the WildMagic check, and if it rolls a 1 (5%) then it is a success and rolls the table and outputs the table result. If it rolls a 2-20 then it is a failure and outputs the No Wild Magic answer. 

Edited 1678656031
Will try and report back. Thanks, Gauss! Success! TYVM! Gauss said: Then that should be pretty simple.

Edited 1678751095
How does the Settings > Attribute Options > HP Modifier section work? It seems like a good place to add the Tough feat, but it doesn't seem to do anything? I peeked the Wiki and that section hasn't yet been added to the help files. Or is there another recommend way to do the Tough feat, which is +2 HP / level. Thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: How does the Settings > Attribute Options > HP Modifier section work? It seems like a good place to add the Tough feat, but it doesn't seem to do anything? I peeked the Wiki and that section hasn't yet been added to the help files. Or is there another recommend way to do the Tough feat, which is +2 HP / level. Thanks! I have not been able to get it to do anything, but that is probably because HP does not appear to have an autocalculation option. 
You can set the HP modifier; Levels: TOTAL LEVEL Source: Tough Feat (I think this is an optional field) Mod: 2 It won't autocalc intially so you have to add the extra hp to the hp max field manually. But when using the Charactermancer to level up, it will add the +2. At least, it works in my game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I suspect it's a Charactermancer flag that happens to be exposed.
I've been seeing a checkbox next to my Hit Dice  & Hero Points section that I can't seem to make sense of. They don't seem to do anything different checked or un-checked. However, clicking them fires off the section reducing the relevant resource. Additionally, the resource doesn't seem to reduce via the standard method of clicking it. Anyone else seeing this issue?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Level2Gamers said: I've been seeing a checkbox next to my Hit Dice  & Hero Points section that I can't seem to make sense of. They don't seem to do anything different checked or un-checked. However, clicking them fires off the section reducing the relevant resource. Additionally, the resource doesn't seem to reduce via the standard method of clicking it. Anyone else seeing this issue? Could you supply a screenshot about what you are referencing?
Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: I've been seeing a checkbox next to my Hit Dice  & Hero Points section that I can't seem to make sense of. They don't seem to do anything different checked or un-checked. However, clicking them fires off the section reducing the relevant resource. Additionally, the resource doesn't seem to reduce via the standard method of clicking it. Anyone else seeing this issue? Could you supply a screenshot about what you are referencing?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Level2Gamers, I haven't seen that before. Could you please provide a screenshot of the settings page of your character sheet? Some setting may be causing that and I'd like to try to replicate what you are seeing. 
Gauss said: Level2Gamers, I haven't seen that before. Could you please provide a screenshot of the settings page of your character sheet? Some setting may be causing that and I'd like to try to replicate what you are seeing. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way. 
Gauss said: Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way.  I've noted that, this is a newer arrangement that does not allow for the standard buttons to function properly.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way.  I've noted that, this is a newer arrangement that does not allow for the standard buttons to function properly. Which buttons are not functioning? The checkbox for HD does not appear to be in the way and while the checkbox for Hero Points is a bit in the way you can click the Short Rest button still. 
Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way.  I've noted that, this is a newer arrangement that does not allow for the standard buttons to function properly. Which buttons are not functioning? The checkbox for HD does not appear to be in the way and while the checkbox for Hero Points is a bit in the way you can click the Short Rest button still.  In my games, clicking the representing button does not decrement the resource, making the Short Rest button useless and the Hero Point button finicky.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way.  I've noted that, this is a newer arrangement that does not allow for the standard buttons to function properly. Which buttons are not functioning? The checkbox for HD does not appear to be in the way and while the checkbox for Hero Points is a bit in the way you can click the Short Rest button still.  In my games, clicking the representing button does not decrement the resource, making the Short Rest button useless and the Hero Point button finicky. What are you referencing as the "representing button"? I don't see a button labeled that. 
Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: Gauss said: Based on my testing each time you click/unclick the checkmark box the HD or Hero Points decrement by one.  Click, it decrements by 1, unclick it decrements by 1.  Not sure why they set it up this way.  I've noted that, this is a newer arrangement that does not allow for the standard buttons to function properly. Which buttons are not functioning? The checkbox for HD does not appear to be in the way and while the checkbox for Hero Points is a bit in the way you can click the Short Rest button still.  In my games, clicking the representing button does not decrement the resource, making the Short Rest button useless and the Hero Point button finicky. What are you referencing as the "representing button"? I don't see a button labeled that.  By representing buttons, I'm referring to the " Short Rest"  button useless and the  " Hero Point"  button finicky.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Level2Gamers said: By representing buttons, I'm referring to the " Short Rest"  button useless and the  " Hero Point"  button finicky. Odd, I am still able to use the Short Rest and Hero Point buttons. 
If you have multiple classes with different Hit Dies you can switch to this view... however the second checkbox should be inside the box alltogether with the Hit Dies / should be invisible... Gauss said: Level2Gamers, I haven't seen that before. Could you please provide a screenshot of the settings page of your character sheet? Some setting may be causing that and I'd like to try to replicate what you are seeing. 
Gauss said: Level2Gamers said: By representing buttons, I'm referring to the " Short Rest"  button useless and the  " Hero Point"  button finicky. Odd, I am still able to use the Short Rest and Hero Point buttons.  Cool TheMarkus1204 said: If you have multiple classes with different Hit Dies you can switch to this view... however the second checkbox should be inside the box alltogether with the Hit Dies / should be invisible... Gauss said: Level2Gamers, I haven't seen that before. Could you please provide a screenshot of the settings page of your character sheet? Some setting may be causing that and I'd like to try to replicate what you are seeing.  Aware of this, unfortunately this is not a solution to my problem, switching the Hit Dice display removes the checkbox, though does not fix the issue of Short Rest  functionality nor does it depreciate resources when directly pressed. 
Whenever I drag spells from the compendium into my character sheet, its default spellcasting ability is set to intelligence (for my wizard). So if I have a magic item that has the MODs: Spell Attack +1, Spell DC +1, it doesn't affect the spell output in the chat. IE at lv3 with +5 intelligence_mod, the spell DC should be 15, +1 from the item making it 16, but a spell I haven't changed shows DC 15 Currently I have to go into each spell and change the dropdown list to using SPELL instead of INTELLIGENCE. Is there a way to do all the spells in one go or set it to default when I drag and drop spells?
Several players in my game are reporting duplicate entries appearing in the  Attacks & Spellcasting  and Equipment sections of their character sheet. They can manually edit out the duplicates but they often - but not always - appear again when the sheet is reopened later. This has happened to more than one character, using both Chrome and Firefox, some with antivirus extensions running and one using Chrome with no extensions at all. I've submitted a bug report, but while I wait for a response I was curious is anyone had experienced this. I also have a player that just started experiencing the issue reported by  Bowman C. . Their spellcasting ability is charisma based, but spells dragged from the compendium or added through charactermancer all come in with Intelligence listed in the details.   Bowman C. said: Whenever I drag spells from the compendium into my character sheet, its default spellcasting ability is set to intelligence (for my wizard). So if I have a magic item that has the MODs: Spell Attack +1, Spell DC +1, it doesn't affect the spell output in the chat. IE at lv3 with +5 intelligence_mod, the spell DC should be 15, +1 from the item making it 16, but a spell I haven't changed shows DC 15 Currently I have to go into each spell and change the dropdown list to using SPELL instead of INTELLIGENCE. Is there a way to do all the spells in one go or set it to default when I drag and drop spells?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Rick A. said: Several players in my game are reporting duplicate entries appearing in the  Attacks & Spellcasting  and Equipment sections of their character sheet. They can manually edit out the duplicates but they often - but not always - appear again when the sheet is reopened later. This has happened to more than one character, using both Chrome and Firefox, some with antivirus extensions running and one using Chrome with no extensions at all. I've submitted a bug report, but while I wait for a response I was curious is anyone had experienced this. I have experienced this and reported it several times. I don't know what the current dev knowledge is on this.
Feature Request: Add proficiency bonus to initiative (and just allow roll formulas to be used for the attribute options in general) Brief Description: There is already an "Initiative modifier" option on the sheet settings, but I have only been able to get it to accept flat numbers. I'd like it to accept either "@{pb}" or "[[@{pb}]]". I could just set it to the current proficiency bonus and change it with level, but that seems like something small enough to miss, especially because it's not every level. 
+1 Mike said: Feature Request: Add proficiency bonus to initiative (and just allow roll formulas to be used for the attribute options in general) Brief Description: There is already an "Initiative modifier" option on the sheet settings, but I have only been able to get it to accept flat numbers. I'd like it to accept either "@{pb}" or "[[@{pb}]]". I could just set it to the current proficiency bonus and change it with level, but that seems like something small enough to miss, especially because it's not every level. 
Maybe I'm not understanding but why do you want to add proficiency bonus to initiative? As far as I know, RAW, there's no way to add the proficiency to initiative. Jack of All Trades allows you to add half the proficiency, but that's already part of Roll20s system, I believe. TheWebCoder said: +1 Mike said: Feature Request: Add proficiency bonus to initiative (and just allow roll formulas to be used for the attribute options in general) Brief Description: There is already an "Initiative modifier" option on the sheet settings, but I have only been able to get it to accept flat numbers. I'd like it to accept either "@{pb}" or "[[@{pb}]]". I could just set it to the current proficiency bonus and change it with level, but that seems like something small enough to miss, especially because it's not every level. 

Edited 1679612327
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saul J. said: Maybe I'm not understanding but why do you want to add proficiency bonus to initiative? As far as I know, RAW, there's no way to add the proficiency to initiative. Jack of All Trades allows you to add half the proficiency, but that's already part of Roll20s system, I believe. TheWebCoder said: +1 Mike said: Feature Request: Add proficiency bonus to initiative (and just allow roll formulas to be used for the attribute options in general) Brief Description: There is already an "Initiative modifier" option on the sheet settings, but I have only been able to get it to accept flat numbers. I'd like it to accept either "@{pb}" or "[[@{pb}]]". I could just set it to the current proficiency bonus and change it with level, but that seems like something small enough to miss, especially because it's not every level.  There are always new 3rd party abilities coming out, or house rules. Additionally, the current design trend is to use Proficiency Bonus as the bonus for things or the number of uses, etc.  Edit: Found the official 5e reason: Oath of the Watchers from TCE.  "You emit an aura of alertness while you aren't Incapacitated. When you and any Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you roll Initiative, you all gain a bonus to Initiative equal to your Proficiency bonus."
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Harengon (official race) adds PB to initiative. Bards and Champion fighters add half PB to initiative eventually (these are covered).  
The Harengon is already covered too. I've been theory-crafting lately, and created a Harengon swashbuckler. The swashbuckler has "Rakish Audacity" which allows the character to add their Charisma bonus to their initiative rolls. The character has +5 modifier for DEX and a +3 modifier for CHA and was raised to level 4. Roll20 charactermancer set the initiative bonus to 10 (5+3+2). So, it looks like it was calculated correctly to include the PB. So, that leaves Oath of the Watchers as apparently the only official way to add PB to initiative that isn't already covered. Since that affects more than one character, I can see why Roll20 doesn't cover it. But, one character ability is hardly enough (IMO) to justify changing the sheet. As for 3rd party and house rules, I believe Roll20 has said elsewhere they would only support official WoTC content on the official 5E character sheet. As for the current trend... I suspect when 6E comes out, Roll20 will develop a 6E sheet. And, yes, I know that the new "thing" from WoTC is being called 5E or 5.5E or 5E compatible (it's changed several times) but if you look at the playtest materials coming out, it's clearly (IMHO) a new edition which will require a new sheet or, at the very least, a MAJOR overhaul to the charactermancer. But, there are a lot of things wrong with the 5E sheet and if Roll20 decides to do an overhaul to fix all the other problems, I wouldn't object to their changing the initiative calculation to add the PB while they make other changes/fixes. For example, I recently created a barbarian character and Unarmored Defense wasn't correctly calculated. Neither was the HP. And, it still doesn't deal well with spells that are automatically received at certain levels but not counted against spells known - a feature that many full and half-casters get from certain sub-classes. Oh, and there are certain races in MMoM where you can choose your size but the charactermancer just assumes "Medium". There are probably other things wrong too. Some of the things wrong are "sheet" problems, others are "charactermancer" problems but the point is, there are a lot of things that need fixing. Bards and Champion fighters add half PB to initiative eventually (these are covered).  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: The Harengon is already covered too. I've been theory-crafting lately, and created a Harengon swashbuckler. The swashbuckler has "Rakish Audacity" which allows the character to add their Charisma bonus to their initiative rolls. The character has +5 modifier for DEX and a +3 modifier for CHA and was raised to level 4. Roll20 charactermancer set the initiative bonus to 10 (5+3+2). So, it looks like it was calculated correctly to include the PB. Odd. I created a full Harengon character before I posted that, just to test, and a click on the initiative button on the sheet only included the dex bonus. I wonder what the difference is.
Don't know. I did that character a week or so ago so I don't know when it calculated the initiative. Maybe the swashbuckler's ability that added the Charisma forced it to check the calculation? Just a guess... keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: The Harengon is already covered too. I've been theory-crafting lately, and created a Harengon swashbuckler. The swashbuckler has "Rakish Audacity" which allows the character to add their Charisma bonus to their initiative rolls. The character has +5 modifier for DEX and a +3 modifier for CHA and was raised to level 4. Roll20 charactermancer set the initiative bonus to 10 (5+3+2). So, it looks like it was calculated correctly to include the PB. Odd. I created a full Harengon character before I posted that, just to test, and a click on the initiative button on the sheet only included the dex bonus. I wonder what the difference is.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Maybe. I created a 1st level fighter, just so there wouldn't be anything else affecting the roll.

Edited 1679764641
FWIW, my player rolled a herengon, so that's what I was trying as well, with no luck. Added the request to the Portal  keithcurtis said: Maybe. I created a 1st level fighter, just so there wouldn't be anything else affecting the roll.
In the meantime you can use a custom initiative like this @{CHARACTER_NAME|wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{CHARACTER_NAME|initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{CHARACTER_NAME|initiative_style}+@{CHARACTER_NAME|initiative_bonus}@{CHARACTER_NAME|pbd_safe}[INIT]+@{CHARACTER_NAME|pb}[PB] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{CHARACTER_NAME|charname_output} Just replace "CHARACTER_NAME" and create and action or bar button, I just test it and you will have the PB added to the initiative. I hope this help.
BUG REPORT When dragged to the sheet from the Compendium, Eldritch Blast loads in as a spell card not an attack. Easily fixed manually, but wanted to report.
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: BUG REPORT When dragged to the sheet from the Compendium, Eldritch Blast loads in as a spell card not an attack. Easily fixed manually, but wanted to report. Which compendium entry of Eldritch Blast? PHB or SRD?
Hi, is there some way to import character sheets from DNDBeyond. I loaded the Beyond20 chrome extension and have dice rolls coming over both directly and via clicking on my character sheet. But when I try the suggestions to grab the JSON and bring it in, it doesn't work. p.s. I could not figure out how to search threads here nor create a new one. sorry if I'm violating policies via a reply. feel free to send me instructions on how to search the community and create new posts. Thanks!
The Beyond20 extension does not import character sheets. It simply recreates rolls that happen on D&D Beyond on Roll20.  There is the BeyondImporter script  (Roll20 Pro subscription required) which is used for importing data from D&D Beyond into Roll20 character sheets using the ‘D&D 5E by Roll20’ character sheet. Make sure you are using the most current version and read through the threads for updated guidance on exactly how to pull the .json data. 
I haven't purchased any rulebooks on Roll20, so I am guessing it must be the SRD? It says "D&D 5th Edition (Character Sheet Default)" Gauss said: TheWebCoder said: BUG REPORT When dragged to the sheet from the Compendium, Eldritch Blast loads in as a spell card not an attack. Easily fixed manually, but wanted to report. Which compendium entry of Eldritch Blast? PHB or SRD?

Edited 1680019577
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheWebCoder said: I haven't purchased any rulebooks on Roll20, so I am guessing it must be the SRD? It says "D&D 5th Edition (Character Sheet Default)" Gauss said: TheWebCoder said: BUG REPORT When dragged to the sheet from the Compendium, Eldritch Blast loads in as a spell card not an attack. Easily fixed manually, but wanted to report. Which compendium entry of Eldritch Blast? PHB or SRD? When you look up something in the in-game compendium it will state the source to the right of the item.  Example: "Eldritch Blast        SRD" SRD compendium entries are super-basic. I don't think any of them include attacks for spells so I do not believe this is a bug.  With that said, if you still feel this is a bug I suggest filing a bug report via the Help Center . 
Hey! So I logged in to play my tuesday game and uhh...  ... I don't think Psionics and Will Power are Intelligence and Wisdom???
Why does the character sheet now have Willpower and Psionics in place of Intelligence and Wisdom?

Edited 1680028185
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Confirmed. I'm thinking this might be a glitch possibly related to the Roll20 Reserve release of Esper Genesis? I'm sure it will be fixed soon.
Can confirm as well across multiple games.
I'm also seeing Psionics and Willpower. Is this an error?
Why am I seeing MCMD Productions stuff on my sheet? Why are INT and WIS replaced by WILL and PSI?