Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

5th Edition OGL by Roll20 v2.0

Edited 1506555504
I was just fixing my sheets after the update, and now whenever I roll attacks with weapons or spells for some of my characters I get this: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Everything was working 30 minutes ago.  It started when I toggled Add Character Name to Templates to On.  Even happens if I drag a new weapon in. Edit: Ahh, from what Zilarrezko says, it happened when I turned on Auto Roll Damage.

Edited 1506555249
Bug, if set autoroll damage and crit I get "SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found." on ALL attacks or spells. If I turn off autoroll damage and crit then attacks and spells work but their damage ONLY works if the damage includes a stat modifer(str, dex etc.) or numerical modife (which most spells do not)
whenever i try to make an attack from the 'attacks&spell casting' in a character sheet, i'm met with a "SyntaxError". This is across multiple games, some as the DM and some as a player. I'm not sure what this is tied to but I haven't found any solution as of yet. any suggestions? 
SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. this shows up every time me and some of my friends land a crit so we cant roll Damage.
The first equipment item I set up to "Use as a resource" has no problems, but any additional resource blocks created past the default 1st row do not pair properly. Quantities updated in the equipment field reflect in the resource block, but not vice versa. (And I did click outside of the field or hit enter after making the change). I will note that if those items are used as an Ammo (pro user), they do update properly in both fields when clicking on the weapon that uses that ammo, no matter what row the block is on.
Josh said: whenever i try to make an attack from the 'attacks&spell casting' in a character sheet, i'm met with a "SyntaxError". This is across multiple games, some as the DM and some as a player. I'm not sure what this is tied to but I haven't found any solution as of yet. any suggestions?  Turn off auto roll of damage. I just figured this out myself. 

Edited 1506560385
Helen P. said: 1. The update was a surprise; it would have been nice to have had better warning about it before it happened. I'm sad to see that so many GMs and players have lost huge chunks of their own work. 5. BUG: Only if Auto Roll Damage & Crit setting is on -- in Attacks & Spellcasting --  if neither attack nor damage is checked, the macro aborts; but if  Auto Roll Damage & Crit setting is off, there's no problem. This occurred in the previous version, too. I've made these to print frequently used text and, yes, there are other ways; but this still should not occur in the code -- it might cause other issues. Steve K said: 1) No data should be lost. If you're looking for traits & features there's a tool tip below explaining how to retrieve your data if you want to switch back to the simple system. As for notice, we advertised the changes here on the site, on the Roll20 forums, our blog, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Goggle+, at several conventions (Comicon, GenCon, etc). 5) I'm not sure you're point. If it's an "attack" without an attack roll, damage, description, or global effect, why would you roll it? 1)) Yes, I did see the post about the "simple" retrieval, as well as the nice little (i)con in the CS itself,   thanks!   I keep my own backups locally as plain text, anyway, since data here aren't safe -- players abruptly lose everything if a GM bugs out. I just play games on Roll20 :-D , rarely using these discussion forums or blog,  and don't go to any of those other sites/cons -- I'm probably not the only one. I'd noticed/heard that an upgrade was in the works, but didn't realize it was now. 5)) My particular application doesn't matter, but it acted as a bug test.  In the Attacks section,  I unclicked both rolls, and then entered text that I want to use often during the game, for example: NAME:     Held Items RANGE: ?{Items|Longsword & Shield} ________________ It's not a common use, but the odd thing I noticed was it runs fine normally:      Longsword & Shield      ________________             Held Items but it aborted if Settings "Auto Roll Damage & Crit" was on: nothing appeared in the chat log, except my name and a blank line. That abort indicates an error in the Attacks code, which might cause other problems. Thank you, Steve! :-D P. S. Is there an easy way to get this boldface suppressed after quoting another post? It just won't go away, no matter how I redo it.  I also can't get this P.S. back into normal font, and I don't know how this gray background got here, either.
This is what i get when i cast a spell: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found.
When I or any of the players click on a weapon to attack, they get a series of error message in the chat window that look like :   No attribute was found for @characternamehere|attributenamehere}
Greg, what is one of the attribute names. If it has a flag in the name, it most likely just needs to have the roll content updated. Reset one of the fields in the attack to trigger this update.
Bart S. said: This is what i get when i cast a spell: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Looking at previous people having this problem, turn off the auto roll damage setting on the character sheet
That's not really much of a fix. I kinda like  having both cantrips and auto-rolled damage
I get this error when ever I try to attack with a newly imported greataxe +2 that has the has an attack box checked, SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found.  Turning off auto roll damage allows the attack to roll, but it is rather annoying.
Inkcharm said: Steve K. said: Inkcharm said: Happening with all tokens. I cleared my cache, restarted roll20, restarted the browser - it's still happening :( Any way I can fix it back? We're also testing a few other things in the character sheet and activated halfling luck. On a natural one, nothing happens though - it's still giving out the normal red number, without a reroll or anything happening. Is that intended, or did something break there? I seem to recall halfling luck used to auto-reroll nat1s? Setting the token's BAR 1 LINK to max_hp is what you want. What you're doing is setting the value to the text "max_hp" which is exactly what you're seeing. As for Halfling Luck, I'm seeing it operating normally. everytime I remove the text from BAR 1 VALUE and save changes, I get the messages that changes were saved, but scrolling down, the BAR 1 VALUE is still there, so I can't fix the issue. I don't know what to do here.    Player just confirmed that halfling luck seems to be working for them now, so maybe that was just a matter of the checking the box not being synced yet for them when they tried it, thanks for checking for us! For the BAR 1 VALUE thing, I had something similar and had to use another browser (I normally use Firefox, I used Edge to get around the issue) to actually get my changes to save properly.
I hope this is not posted in the wrong area, but I'm getting this error whenever I try to process any auto attack: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. It was working fine earlier in the day, and then it just stopped. I tried running another copy of the game (The Master's Vault) but to no avail.  Good luck on the updates, I'm new to Roll20 but it's amazing. It makes everything run so quickly!
I found out how to fix the Syntax Error. If you go into the settings and have it show the Global Damage Modifier Field, you then need to put in any value into the box (Things are weird and sometimes work if you don't have a valid entry in the Modifier Field). After you put in the value you can leave the Damage Modifier Field unchecked and then you can have it hide the Global Damage Modifier Field. This fixed the error for everyone in our party. 
While I think these new features are really cool, Roll20 is now using a LOT more RAM than it did previously, and I don't even have Advanced Fog of War turned on. Additionally, some of my creatures' macros will occasionally read out "No attribute was found for @{ [creature_name] |attack_display_flag}" or something similar. How can this be remedied? My pages which previously only lagged out with large maps now have to load chunk by chunk for every token motion. I'm only running 4GB of RAM, so this may be part of the issue, but it was working fine before the update. Any tips or options?

Edited 1506567590
Ok, so I literally can not cast any damaging spells. No matter what I do, remaking them, using the old and legit eldritch blast, or putting a new spell in, none of them show up in the game. I run a mystic, meaning almost all my spells are custom made. Only spell cards are working and it is aggravating.  EDIT: Fixed the part with it not working at all, now cantrips aren't acting according to my level.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
THANK YOU XANDER! We've been messing around with this for a half hour and were about to cancel our game.  DEVS: Please fix. You know where the issue is now. 
Steve K. said: Update: Global Damage Mod field should now be critting as intended Personality and other background fields should keep formatting Resources tied to items should now properly update weight Init on NPCs should be updating after re-opening sheet Magic Caster NPCs PB has been adjusted to match DMG guidelines Polished the Proficiency repeating section options to make it more intuitive Compendium Ammo tracking should work with damage only attacks with both auto and manual rolling damage Hi Steve - I just retested the Global Damage Mod with Crit hits and the dice aren't doubling as expected. Do we need to recreate the attacks or change settings in order for this to apply?
How does the "auto level calculations" toggle work? If I turn it off, does it not update my level when I pass an experience threshold, or does it *also* not update proficiency bonus, etc. when a level up takes place? Having documentation for each feature on a character sheet in easy to find places (or tooltip descriptions for settings) would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
I would really like the modules to be updated properly so I don't have to drag it myself. Such as the Sunless Citadel and the like. 

Edited 1506571608
Sense the new update, all crit rolls are broken. They just dont roll and only once gave an error of "SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|-] or [0-9] but end of input found." We tried with crit damage filled in and left blank and still no damage rolls
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The Auto Damage issue should now be fixed. I apologize for the inconvenience. I introduced a bug with auto roll damage style attacks because they need to know the potential crit result at the time of the attack roll and not enough information was being passed through. This should now be resolved. I also added some safety measures around the global fields to fill them with example values automatically so that they aren't empty when first checked on.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jason said: The first equipment item I set up to "Use as a resource" has no problems, but any additional resource blocks created past the default 1st row do not pair properly. Quantities updated in the equipment field reflect in the resource block, but not vice versa. (And I did click outside of the field or hit enter after making the change). I will note that if those items are used as an Ammo (pro user), they do update properly in both fields when clicking on the weapon that uses that ammo, no matter what row the block is on. Thanks for pointing this out, Jason. I'll add it to the issues list.
I am having an issue with attack spells working on my characters, i.e. Sacred Flame, Guiding Bolt, etc.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
5keletonQuay said: While I think these new features are really cool, Roll20 is now using a LOT more RAM than it did previously, and I don't even have Advanced Fog of War turned on. Additionally, some of my creatures' macros will occasionally read out "No attribute was found for @{ [creature_name] |attack_display_flag}" or something similar. How can this be remedied? My pages which previously only lagged out with large maps now have to load chunk by chunk for every token motion. I'm only running 4GB of RAM, so this may be part of the issue, but it was working fine before the update. Any tips or options? There's nothing inherant about the 5E OGL Sheet that should be taking more RAM. In fact the sheet lost about 25% of it's attributes in this update, which if anything should use much less RAM. The @{repeating_npc_action_<ID>_attack_display_flag} is one of many fields that was removed for performance reasons. If you update anything in the NPC action does it still give you this error? When the sheet is first opened it's supposed to upgrade to v2.0 including updating every NPC Action automatically.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Todd B. said: How does the "auto level calculations" toggle work? If I turn it off, does it not update my level when I pass an experience threshold, or does it *also* not update proficiency bonus, etc. when a level up takes place? Having documentation for each feature on a character sheet in easy to find places (or tooltip descriptions for settings) would be incredibly helpful. Thanks! The official documentation is in the process of being updated with these changes. Level Calculations on the default "On" position will make it so whenever your level is changed it will recalculate your spell slot levels, hit dice, and PB (if that's set to be determined by level).
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ultra said: I would really like the modules to be updated properly so I don't have to drag it myself. Such as the Sunless Citadel and the like.  If you're talking about the NPC spells section, all official WotC modules will be updated to use the new character sheet functionality in a patch coming soon.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Joel M. said: Hi Steve - I just retested the Global Damage Mod with Crit hits and the dice aren't doubling as expected. Do we need to recreate the attacks or change settings in order for this to apply? There was a bug we introduced with the update a few hours ago. It should be fixed now. Let us know if you're still having any issues with global damage mod and critical hits.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Theodore S. said: I am having an issue with attack spells working on my characters, i.e. Sacred Flame, Guiding Bolt, etc. I'm not seeing any issues that I can reproduce. Does altering anything about the attack solve the problem? What about toggling it to a spellcard output and back to an attack? Re-importing the spell from the compendium?

Edited 1506573247
Steve K. said: Theodore S. said: I am having an issue with attack spells working on my characters, i.e. Sacred Flame, Guiding Bolt, etc. I'm not seeing any issues that I can reproduce. Does altering anything about the attack solve the problem? What about toggling it to a spellcard output and back to an attack? Re-importing the spell from the compendium? Switch to Firefox and when I select Sacred Flame, I get the following error: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but "@" found. Edit: Reimported the spell for the millionth time and now it works

Edited 1506573927
I am still getting syntax errors when auto-roll damage is on. Edit: changing the global damage modifier did it, but I had to do it manually
Fixed one issue and onto the next: The bard in my campaign casts a spell and it doesn't reduce the spell left. My cleric casts spells and the spells left get reduce.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Theodore S. said: Fixed one issue and onto the next: The bard in my campaign casts a spell and it doesn't reduce the spell left. My cleric casts spells and the spells left get reduce. Is the bard's spell a ritual?
This has been really shitty. My group hit almost every issue in this thread and I had to cancel tonight's session. Here's my list of unresolved issues: Strahd can't cast Fireball (presumably other spells with a level prompt as well). I hit submit on the level prompt and nothing. When I click on the sheet to roll an attack, it takes 2-5 seconds before anything happens. This used to be almost instant. I'm using the Druid character from Curse of Strahd, when I try to cast Produce Flame I get 1's for both skill rolls and a 1 for damage and this error message: No attribute was found for @{Druid|halflingluck} The spells deprecation red text is really confusing and should read "This section is deprecated and will no longer recieve updates. Instead, please use the new Spells By Level section, which can be found by enabling "Spellcasting NPC" from the NPC options." It's doubly confusing because there is no "NPC options above" anywhere above this text. My Strahd content isn't compatible with this update. IMO this is the kind of thing that justifies a rollback of this patch. You haven't maintained backwards compatibility with content that's only 2 or 3 months old. My browser (Firefox 55.0.3) has crashed three times in the last 2 hours while fiddling with roll20. I think it's crashed once in the last 2 years before tonight. About half of a character named Hazel's sorcerer's spells print this error message when cast: No attribute was found for @{Hazel|spellname_base} Either this update needed a lot more time in testing, or it needed to be opt-in. This has been a super negative experience that has made me question whether spending all this money on roll20 was a good choice. I'm here because I want something that makes playing D&D easy, and debugging this many issues is not easy, and not what I want to be doing with my evenings.
Looks like the "Auto Calc Damage" bug was fixed now there is a "Crit Damage" Bug due to that fix. Thank you Xander for the work around. Roll20 does have more lag now with OGL and even freezing my browser for 10-20seconds at times.

Edited 1506577737
I like how it broke every NPC Spellcaster on the $60 Curse of Strahd module .  Is there any effort put in to make the patches smooth at all?  Do you expect me to fix all the shit you broke in the thing I paid almost $70 for?   Is this going to be fixed? Can you at least  offer a rollback to your paying customers?  

Edited 1506579286
BUG: After the update, I exported a CS from my Character Vault into a game, but the Personality section didn't get updated; it doesn't have the new gear icons. All other fields appear to have been updated normally. The Vault copy had been made the day before the big update. Thank you, Steve!

Edited 1506584348
Bast L.
API Scripter
edit: nevermind, now it's working fine. Maybe just closing and re-opening the sheet did it. edit again: Actually, now I see it with other abilities. It seems that checking attack, saving it, using it, then checking off attack fixes it. Custom legendary actions for NPCs, which aren't attacks, aren't clickable for me. That is, I made a legendary NPC, and it has an attack legendary which works, and a non-attack legendary which doesn't. I checked attack to see if that was the issue, and it worked fine (though it rolled an attack). I also checked compendium NPCs with non-attack legendary actions, such as a red dragon's perception check legendary, and it worked fine. As far as I can tell, it's only failing for custom legendary actions which aren't attacks.
Issue with transferring from Shaped Sheet: Items are lost, Attacks are lost. Do I have to switch to Simple from Compendium Compatible?
AlexG said: I like how it broke every NPC Spellcaster on the $60 Curse of Strahd module .  Is there any effort put in to make the patches smooth at all?  Do you expect me to fix all the shit you broke in the thing I paid almost $70 for?   Is this going to be fixed? Can you at least  offer a rollback to your paying customers?   THIS. I have a limited amount of time to spend preparing and playing for my game. I don't want to spend that time fixing the things you broke with this update. Attacks and spells don't even work right now. Nothing shows up in chat, nothing in the API Output Console either. WHAT IS GOING ON?
If you want to revert to the previous version of the sheet you can find the code to do so  here . How exactly can I revert to the previous version of the sheet? I copied the code from that page into a Custom sheet and it just looked wonky.
Turning of autroll damage fixed non spell attacks but still affecting spell attacks. Only effecting sutff I've newly added, not stuff already on my sheet before this problem cropped up. Hope it's fixed by tomorrow as that's game night.
SP said: Inkcharm said: Steve K. said: Inkcharm said: Happening with all tokens. I cleared my cache, restarted roll20, restarted the browser - it's still happening :( Any way I can fix it back? We're also testing a few other things in the character sheet and activated halfling luck. On a natural one, nothing happens though - it's still giving out the normal red number, without a reroll or anything happening. Is that intended, or did something break there? I seem to recall halfling luck used to auto-reroll nat1s? Setting the token's BAR 1 LINK to max_hp is what you want. What you're doing is setting the value to the text "max_hp" which is exactly what you're seeing. As for Halfling Luck, I'm seeing it operating normally. everytime I remove the text from BAR 1 VALUE and save changes, I get the messages that changes were saved, but scrolling down, the BAR 1 VALUE is still there, so I can't fix the issue. I don't know what to do here.    Player just confirmed that halfling luck seems to be working for them now, so maybe that was just a matter of the checking the box not being synced yet for them when they tried it, thanks for checking for us! For the BAR 1 VALUE thing, I had something similar and had to use another browser (I normally use Firefox, I used Edge to get around the issue) to actually get my changes to save properly. Doesn't work for me. I use Chrome, just tried it on Firefox and Edge. I clear the Bar 1 Value, I put hp_max in Bar 1 Link instead, I save changed. The change is saved in Bar 1 Link, NOT in Bar 1 Value, where the text mystically reappears in all three browsers.  Does anyone have any idea how to get whatever is screwed up here unscrewed? I'm baffled, and I don't fancy having to manually edit every token I drag and drop from the Monster Manual and Volo's that I paid for just because the game settings don't save properly :( 

Edited 1506595974
Just tested the Auto Roll damage issue - it's still persistent (according to the forums Steve posted 6 hours ago saying its resolved). Ive not changed game settings since the update, should I be changing settings to have it reset? Any spell I click on in the NPC sheet doesnt appear at all in chat unless I turn off auto roll damage.  Also, I now have my Player's sheet throw syntax errors every time they try to roll damage for a Crit (with no global mod selected). If I select the Global damage mod, it rolls (and crits both normal and extra damage). Something has broken here where its not rolling crits when the GDM isnt selected. EDIT: Okay in order for the crit damage to roll, I need to have text in the global damage mod field (but doesnt need to be selected). With no text here it's giving the standard (( SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. ))
on the char sheet .. added a spell thats not in the compendium,  filled it out in the spell sheet part. and added it to the attacks and casting section on the main page, but theres no option to input 'cast at higher level' damage ..  all the compendium added spells auto set that up. but the homebrew one doen't do this..   any suggestions?
I have a custom spell in my 5e game and the update has broken the attack for it. It's set up as per other cantrips but the attack link on the front page no longer works. I'm not sure if I'll need to add it again entirely.

Edited 1506601694
Edit: Figured out how to fix it by changing the global damage modifier and toggling auto damage rolls on and off a few times. I'd like to put in that the Syntax Error is still going on. Like most of the issues with this new sheet, I've reinstalled all my weapons and spells trying to get this error to stop showing up, even doing some other research on the error and trying that solution too, but nothing seems to be working. Dragged items from the compendium give this error when I use them as well as those I type in manually. I know this was originally happening a few years back when the crit die field in attacks was empty, but even with those filled in it still gives this error.
Steve K. said: Theodore S. said: Fixed one issue and onto the next: The bard in my campaign casts a spell and it doesn't reduce the spell left. My cleric casts spells and the spells left get reduce. Is the bard's spell a ritual? No. My bard is trying to cast Cure Wounds (a non-ritual spell).