Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[New] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks for the feedback Tim! I very much like 90% of your changes. The colors are real nice - especially the buttons. Not sure I want to change roll20s default colors for editable fields and formula fields, but I'll definitely implement a good number of these. I must say the heart does not match the style of the core page. Everything else has a white background.
Tim
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hey thanks Mark, yeah valid points -- I've been making changes in a pretty haphazard way, but do use whatever you think has merit!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
24th April 2015 Added spell slots to the Core page Cleaned up a few pages by adding tooltips for the text that was there. Changed colors on a lot of buttons and tabs Tim, I wish you luck adapting to my massive css cleanup. I took some of your colors, but your style is more "old worldy" which isn't really 5e's style based on their sheets imo.
@Mark - all in all some nice things, one thing I personally have a hard time with is the drop shadow on the lettering for the roll buttons. Due to the small default size (at least in my resolution) it make the buttons look kind of blurry. If I browser zoom in, it doesn't look bad. I may have missed part of the discussion, if I open a pop out window and expand the sheet, shouldn't the sheet expand as well. Or is this a limitation due to the Roll20 tablet app?
Another thing regarding Skills. You allow for changing the skill to a different stat which I like... however when you output the roll to the template there is no way to know if someone changed it or not (will be easier once nested rolls clean up the tooltip), is it possible to show which attribute was used in this case?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Kevin: Thanks for the feedback! Woah... wtf the fonts on the buttons got all fuzzy.. I will fix immediately! The max-width on popped out sheets is set in the DOM by roll20. I posted about it earlier in this thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1734923/#post-18" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1734923/#post-18</a>...
For ranged weapons it seems that you should have a "+stat" for damage column as well. The reason being offhand thrown weapons and/or hand crossbows fired from your offhand while not using the dual wield fighting style.

Edited 1429896819
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 was putting a text-shadow on button text that I didn't see in the preview. Removed! EDIT: Going to eat dinner, I'll look at the rest soon.
Thanks, that helps the buttons quite a bit. Some generalized feedback as well, these are opinion based want for consistency (a.k.a. OCD) so please don't take them as being critical: Core Stats on Players vs. NPC - I am of the opinion that things shouldn't move spots if they don't need to. So the bonuses and penalties section, does this make sense to tie it to the upper right corner? The reason I assume at some point you have the intention of having "Quick Actions", those are likely not going to be spaced the same as "Quick Attacks". So based on this anchoring bonuses and penalties to the upper right corner seems the more consistent approach to something that doesn't change between sheet modes. Core Stats on NPC Sheet - Should the HD Note line be place at the bottom of the Hit Dice box? If you prefer it to be at the top (which I can see) couldn't there be a thin gray header bar above it, or maybe have that note in it's own box? Core Stats on NPC Sheet - Traits feels really out of place, maybe having it underneath death saves might work better (this is again assuming you will add a "Quick Actions" section in the right most column. Core Stats on Players and NPC - Maybe I am just too damn old with poor eyesight... but the font for Resistance and Immunities, NPC Traits, and maybe even the Quick Attacks section seems a bit small...but again just could be me. Core Stats - The Quick Spells section, I assume this is intentional, but you show the "up/down" arrows for the current slots, but you don't for the Max Slots. This gives the impression that this can't be modified from this section (even though it can through various means). Thanks, again, not meaning to be critical because it is obvious that you have put in a ton of work in modifying the sheet.

Edited 1429905068
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Another thing regarding Skills. You allow for changing the skill to a different stat which I like... however when you output the roll to the template there is no way to know if someone changed it or not (will be easier once nested rolls clean up the tooltip), is it possible to show which attribute was used in this case? Ya, the PHB allows for using different stats in some cases so I put it as an option. I heavily investigated printing out the value, but the problem is the select box is used for the formula as well. The value is the formula value of wisdom mod for example. If you know of any ways to extract the text as well as the value from a select I'd love to print out the ability name used as well. For ranged weapons it seems that you should have a "+stat" for damage column as well. The reason being offhand thrown weapons and/or hand crossbows fired from your offhand while not using the dual wield fighting style. Side note: Hand Crossbows only work in the offhand with the Crossbow Expert feat which by RAW and community acceptance does apply full bonus to the offhand weapon. We'll see what Crawford posts in his Crossbow Sage column coming up. That said, I agree that the "+stat" should be on ranged as well. I saw someone mention it on one of Actoba's threads and have been meaning to look at it at some point. I'm planning on revamping weapons soon to match the work I did for "Actions". I could put this in as a temporary thing though. these are opinion based want for consistency (a.k.a. OCD) so please don't take them as being critical I love critical feedback. Please don't be afraid to give it. Critical feedback helps improve the end result. My feelings won't be hurt as long as people are appreciative of the work put in. :) Core Stats on Players vs. NPC - I am of the opinion that things shouldn't move spots if they don't need to. So the bonuses and penalties section, does this make sense to tie it to the upper right corner? The reason I assume at some point you have the intention of having "Quick Actions", those are likely not going to be spaced the same as "Quick Attacks". So based on this anchoring bonuses and penalties to the upper right corner seems the more consistent approach to something that doesn't change between sheet modes. 100% agree. I've tried to make things not move as best as I can. Example: on the NPC sheet Blindsight should come before Darkvision, but then it wouldn't be consistent with the PC page. I also made sure all the inputs that switch were the same size. Was a bit weird to work out. Bonuses & Penalties: This (and Resistances for PCs) are of the least value on the page. Things of higher value should be "above the fold" as it's called. If anything I'd rather stick it to the bottom if possible. Maybe I'll make quick attacks for NPCs - "Quick Actions". I should be able to force it to be the same size as "Quick Attacks". I do the same with Inspiration/Exhaustion on the PC sheet and movements speeds on the NPC sheet. Core Stats on NPC Sheet - Should the HD Note line be place at the bottom of the Hit Dice box? If you prefer it to be at the top (which I can see) couldn't there be a thin gray header bar above it, or maybe have that note in it's own box? It has the "HD Note" text below it. Though I should put some spacing between that and the hit dice below it. I've been moving away from the gray heading as much as I can. It only exists to define areas whereas individual inputs have their text below the input. I think HD Note should stay close to the Hit Points as those are closely related I could see it becoming its own box as well. So either more spacing or own box. Core Stats on NPC Sheet - Traits feels really out of place, maybe having it underneath death saves might work better (this is again assuming you will add a "Quick Actions" section in the right most column. Yup, traits are very out of place. I only just did the Spell Slots on the Core page today and haven't had much time to review it. Traits can move below the Death Saves - ya. I eventually would like to make them repeatable. I also need to parse some traits that act as actions - I may move the whole section to "Actions".. I think that's where it would best belong. Core Stats on Players and NPC - Maybe I am just too damn old with poor eyesight... but the font for Resistance and Immunities, NPC Traits, and maybe even the Quick Attacks section seems a bit small...but again just could be me. For this page I tried to follow the design of the paper sheet as much as possible. See <a href="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SIz9DByDeZw/U6M51aKP-OI/" rel="nofollow">http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SIz9DByDeZw/U6M51aKP-OI/</a>... They're not very big there, though I think I made them a tiny bit smaller than what I see there. I'll increase it a bit. Core Stats - The Quick Spells section, I assume this is intentional, but you show the "up/down" arrows for the current slots, but you don't for the Max Slots. This gives the impression that this can't be modified from this section (even though it can through various means) This is indeed intentional. They're psuedo-disabled. They appear and look disabled, but can actually be edited. Same thing on the weapon names, reach, and ranges. If I set them to actually be disabled then roll20 treats them as formula and it cannot display the value of the text field of the same name on the other page. It's rather unfortunate, but I think the workaround I put in works fairly well. These "Quick" sections are meant to be usable at a glance and then modification should happen on those actual pages. Max spell slots are determined when leveling up and based on information on the spellbook page so those should be modified there, but Current Spell Slots will be used during the session so it should be changeable there as well. Thanks again for the feedback!
I just wanted to clarify the font size for the Resistance and Immunities, NPC Traits, and possibly Quick Attacks , it is more about the size of the font inside these fields, rather than the size of the box labels. It also seems like Resistance/Immunities and NPC Traits are smaller than even the Quick Attacks font, but I could be wrong.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
ohhhh, totally misunderstood. Resistances and traits have to be small as there can be a lot of data for NPCs. Not really sure how to improve Resistances besides make them taller - which is a bummer for PC sheets. One option is to change the size of each textarea on swap, but that's a bit annoying For Traits I think moving the action type ones to "Actions" and leaving the description based ones will let me increase the size there. For Quick Actions: Not much room to give here. Especially on Ranged weapons. This is the example I use to test with. You can see what I was talking about. Ideas for how to improve it are welcome
I do understand the space constraints with regards to fonts, short of increasing the size of various boxes, I don't see a better way to handle it (while I am a "stickler" for consistency, I am not a designer and have a hard time visualizing such things).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I increased the size of the resistances. Should be good now. I'll handle traits at a later point (soon). Added +Attr to ranged attacks and cleaned up the weapons columns a bit.
Ok I am a super noob to all this and I love this sheet. It allows me to do so much and it is because of this sheet that my older brother and his friends who take TT games pretty serious are going to play a campaign I am making. Just one silly question. When I roll a save or to attack I get two numbers like this XX|XX why are there two? The way I remember it I would roll a save just once.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks for the feedback Jason! There are two rolls of every d20 roll because of 5e's advantage system. We could prompt the user every time a d20 is rolled to ask if it's advantage or disadvantage (with a terrible UI that is not easy to understand with 0s and 1s). Or we can do what has been done and that is always roll twice. In this case you take the first if it's normal, the best of the 2 if it's advantage and the worst of the 2 if it's disadvantage.
Hey, I'm looking into setting up token actions, and I was wondering if there was any way that I could easily translate one of the character sheet macros into an ability macro, while still maintaining the layout of it. I really like your sheet, and I can't wait for the new changes to roll out, the spell section on the core stats sheet will be really useful for my players!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Phil C. said: Hey, I'm looking into setting up token actions, and I was wondering if there was any way that I could easily translate one of the character sheet macros into an ability macro, while still maintaining the layout of it. I don't understand this question. You can reference the character sheet macros in the token actions area - I posted most of them above. Is there something else you're looking to do?
Oh, sorry, I didn't see that. Using %{selected|MeleeAttack1} and %{selected|RangedAttack1} as token actions was what I was trying to find, thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No worries. Glad I could help! Updated the preview image of the first post to match the latest UI.
Is there a way to copy the character sheet to another character? Like completely?

Edited 1429996305
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You'd have to do that with the API which requires mentor. If you have the time you can go to "Attributes and Abilities" and copy all the Attributes to a new journal. Though that wouldn't get any repeating sections like Spells & Class Actions. Or you can just duplicate a journal and rename the parts you need. That's probably easiest.
Ok thanks i thought that so. I just copied and pasted everything again to the new sheet.
Mark said: Thanks for the feedback Jason! There are two rolls of every d20 roll because of 5e's advantage system. We could prompt the user every time a d20 is rolled to ask if it's advantage or disadvantage (with a terrible UI that is not easy to understand with 0s and 1s). Or we can do what has been done and that is always roll twice. In this case you take the first if it's normal, the best of the 2 if it's advantage and the worst of the 2 if it's disadvantage. Thank you so much, that makes a ton of sense and is a great way to handle the advantage/disadvantage system.
@Mark This is more related to an API thing, so I don't want to hijack this thread so I created a new one at. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1878750/request-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1878750/request-</a>... But I thought it would be awesome to be able to import characters from stat blocks too, not just monsters.
Just wondering why I can't edit the core stats on the current merged version of your sheet.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Mark - I am having some major performance issues with your sheet. There is a considerable delay between when I open a sheet and when I make changes to the edit portion. Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking that I might take your current sheet and make a custom sheet - eliminating the old NPC section unless you are planning on doing this in the future. I also want to know if you still have major additions still coming as i don't want to make a custom sheet and have to keep adding your new additions. Just FYI - this sheet is fantastic and besides the performance has worked flawlessly. Thank you.

Edited 1430215942
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stonecold913 said: Just wondering why I can't edit the core stats on the current merged version of your sheet. Sheet version: 10th Apr 2015 works for me on Chrome. I can edit everything on the core page. You'll have to be more specific. If you are refering to <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1885521/character-sheets-on-chrome-are-blank" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1885521/character-sheets-on-chrome-are-blank</a> then that's the other 5e sheet. Black Falcon said: Mark - I am having some major performance issues with your sheet. There is a considerable delay between when I open a sheet and when I make changes to the edit portion. Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking that I might take your current sheet and make a custom sheet - eliminating the old NPC section unless you are planning on doing this in the future. I also want to know if you still have major additions still coming as i don't want to make a custom sheet and have to keep adding your new additions. With the latest html/css dated 25th Apr (forgot to update the date) I do not see any delay at all on the character sheet itself. When you say "the edit portion" do you mean the screen to edit the name, avatar, reference, bio & info, GM Notes? If that's the case that section has nothing to do with the character sheet and shortening the character sheet wouldn't fix it. I too get a large amount of lag on the edit page when I copy/paste. Roll20 in general seems to significantly lag when copy/pasting. Old Sections: I plan to eventually remove these old sections, but if I do it too quickly it will be problematic. They still work and are nice references if you had a lot of NPCs from before. The old NPC section is only ~1300 lines of HTML. I doubt that would cause any issues. Future plans: The sheet will definitely continuously change/improve. My current plans: Implement nested inline rolls Tooltip all the things I've been redoing Aaron's Torch script to have a less crazy flicker. Will likely release this at some point. New Weapons tab PC importer script Spell importer script
+1 for awesome!!!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tried to implement the nested inline rolls, but there was a bug preventing it from working. See <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1886493/nested-i" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1886493/nested-i</a>... 28th April 2015 Actions now have "Details" tab split out to "Reach", "Range", and "Target". Old creature who still had "Details" will still work even if the fields do not show. Added Multilingual support for other users to translate the sheet. Adjusted tooltips so that they can work on plain text. Put them in for Strength and Athletics. I expect many more to be added soon. Actions split of "Reach", "Range", and "Target" is to be more consistent with the future weapons revamp. Another user is working on tooltips and a German translation so that'll be super helpful!

Edited 1430243459
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
UGH - just checked - something else is going on. I opened up the campaign on a different computer and have no delays. Let me find out what the issue is. Thanks Mark.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I just spent several hours loading up NPCs for my campaign and with the latest update all of the Attack actions under the NPC are no longer listed. The NPC_Action_Name_1 is not showing up under the new NPC Action space... I am assuming you changed the name and I will need to re-input all the actions of all my NPCs. Correct?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Black Falcon said: I just spent several hours loading up NPCs for my campaign and with the latest update all of the Attack actions under the NPC are no longer listed. The NPC_Action_Name_1 is not showing up under the new NPC Action space... I am assuming you changed the name and I will need to re-input all the actions of all my NPCs. Correct? Correct. 5 days ago I put in a breaking change. If you used !shaped-import you can simply do it again and everything will work. Give me 30 mins to move the "Reach", "Range", "Target" split to the script - it'll work if you do it now, but the right tabs won't be ticked.

Edited 1430245635
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Mark said: Black Falcon said: I just spent several hours loading up NPCs for my campaign and with the latest update all of the Attack actions under the NPC are no longer listed. The NPC_Action_Name_1 is not showing up under the new NPC Action space... I am assuming you changed the name and I will need to re-input all the actions of all my NPCs. Correct? Correct. 5 days ago I put in a breaking change. If you used !shaped-import you can simply do it again and everything will work. Give me 30 mins to move the "Reach", "Range", "Target" split to the script - it'll work if you do it now, but the right tabs won't be ticked. Ok - make sense. Let me know when it is finished and the location is here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d</a>... Man - you just saved me an enormous amount of time. Just FYI - I noticed that when I dumped my cache it sped up the loading time of the character sheets enormously.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
All done. You can always find the script link at the top post here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d</a>... Direct link: <a href="https://github.com/mlenser/roll20/blob/master/scri" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/mlenser/roll20/blob/master/scri</a>..
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Got it. What is the command to translate my NPCs? Does it do all of them at once or only the ones that I have selected?

Edited 1430246436
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
It didn't change anything. I manually entered in the data onto the character sheet from the earlier version and now with the new version I used the import command and it didn't place the action data back. It says... Selected GM notes are empty
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ohhh, you're not using my import script. I figured you were as a mentor. Then ya you'll have to redo it. :S I suggest you use the import script.

Edited 1430257813
I also didn't use the importer script - I just made the NPCs as I needed them and built actions/attacks for them. Is there no other option than to manually re-enter everything? Is it just the NPC actions that are broken or will my PCs be having issues too? Are there other areas that you think you may have to break?

Edited 1430261664
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sheets are quite finicky to maintain. They are not able to maintain old values if the structure has to change. Overall we want the sheet to improve, but sometimes it requires breaking changes be made. I do my best to avoid it, and likely could've done better here, but they will naturally have to happen over time. This is why I'll highly recommend the npc importer script. Though at this point I think the Npc actions are done being mucked with. Since both of you are mentors I can offer 2 solutions: Stick with the old version. Not ideal at all, but it'll work. I can write a script to convert the non pseudo repeating actions to the pseudo repeating format. I will work on 2 and have it done by Thursday night at the latest. My apologies for the issue. Hopefully the script will be a suitable fix for both of you. It's just the actions. Nothing else has a breaking change.
I only have 8 or 12 NPCs to mess with, I'll just do it manually for now and I'll take a look at using the importer for the future. Thanks for all the work, the sheet looks great!

Edited 1430276087
Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
Every single one of my NPC actions has disappeared from the Shaped Character Sheet. I have changed nothing... HELP! Anyone have any idea what happened? I cannot import any new NPC Actions, either. Everything just disappeared, and the info is no longer available to the old ones I'd already imported. [Just read all the above posts] --- The !shaped-import script is not importing any new NPC actions for me whatsoever into the shaped NPC sheet. Hours and hours and hours (!!!) of work have been lost. I need help, please.
Anyone else getting this error when trying to attack with a character using either the quick attacks from Core Stats or the Weapons tab? SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found.
I've got a few NPCs to re-enter actions for and I'm ok with that. But I've got token actions set up, formerly "%{selected|NPC_Action_1}" etc and I can't for the life of me figure out how to link the new actions to token actions now.
Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
I just had the exact same problem. The sheet changed, and so has the script. (!shaped-import). You need to download the new script (updated) and re-import all of your NPCs/Monsters. I just found this out the hard way, and am in the midst of reimporting EVERYTHING I've done.
Tom, not sure if you're replying to me or not. But I am pretty new at this and have no idea on messing with script and/or importing NPCs. I'm using the sheet version from the pull-down menu, not a custom sheet. I'm loading back in all the missing actions to my npc sheets now. Not terribly interested in setting up a custom sheet, I just want to know how to link a token action to the new actions (so it displays the same thing it would if I hit the button to use the action on the sheet itself).
On another note, I notice that when activated the npc actions do not display the "effect" field (all other field seem to display properly). Also still trying to figure out if the token action link to the new npc actions is possible but reading about it, is it no longer possible now since the npc actions now conform to repeating syntax?
Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
Hi Danny, I was replying to you. Because you chose the sheet from the pull down, when the creator makes a change, it changes for you (us) automatically. if you were using the !shaped-import script to import your monsters from a text stat block, then you have to re-import them all with the new script that was just updated. (Copy the new script into your API scripts in your campaign). if you input the NPC actions by hand, then I think you may have to re-enter that information. :(