Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[New] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Revamped the spell section to look like this: I'd like to clean this up a bit. I'd love some icons for Ritual or Concentration instead of using words.
★ for ritual and © for concentration?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm hoping to use a fireplace for a ritual and a thought bubble for concentration. But Pictos Custom isn't working. There is a less good fire for Pictos Three. I'll wait and see if I get a response on my thread asking about it.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
12 May 2015 Spell Effects on a new line instead of a column Fix bug around printing out hd max values for players Shrunk the "Higher Level" textarea for spells and increased the description textare. Allowed for the "Effects" textarea to be resized Revamped the spell roll template Added icons for Ritual and Concentration on the spell roll template New spell roll templates: And tooltips:
Is there any way to roll from this character sheet, but not always automatically roll with advantage/disadvantage? Our group likes to use the 3D dice option in Roll20 for the suspense of the dice, but always having two d20s rolled kind of negates that idea.

Edited 1431511693
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jon P. said: Is there any way to roll from this character sheet, but not always automatically roll with advantage/disadvantage? No. There isn't another way to do it on roll20 without using very cryptic prompts which are not very user friendly and slow down the game.
Mark said: 12 May 2015 Spell Effects on a new line instead of a column Fix bug around printing out hd max values for players Shrunk the "Higher Level" textarea for spells and increased the description textare. Allowed for the "Effects" textarea to be resized Revamped the spell roll template Added icons for Ritual and Concentration on the spell roll template New spell roll templates: And tooltips: Beautiful! I love them! I love all the changes so far. Just realised I can use your converter/importer in a strange way. Thanks!
Though you do need to stretch the window slightly for all the text to fit in (the chat window)

Edited 1431517231
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: Though you do need to stretch the window slightly for all the text to fit in (the chat window) What do you mean? It should scale well for the most part unless either you or I resized it. Mine is 260px wide. EDIT: Found a way to make the roll templates 10 pixels wider to the left and some other minute adjustments. Will commit later today.
Mark said: Version 2 of weapons revamp Changes from above: It's back under "Weapons" Split out melee, thrown, and ranged (will duplicate them when I'm all done testing) As a result no more "type" select. Melee doesn't have range and ranged doesn't have reach. Thrown has both. Crit damage is automatically calculated based on what is in the "Dmg Dice" and "2nd Dmg Dice" field. Both fields have a bonus field that is shown if you click "Bonuses" This will allow us to still have to global bonuses for melee/ranged. I'll have to add another for thrown. Please let me know if you have any feedback. Ah ha I found it, was looking in the wrong thread. Ok this is very cool. I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to also include "Cantrips" I know you could cast them from the spell page but this does seem like a great place to include them as well. Or maybe better yet, you could "pull" them from the spell page to make the attacks here? I do very much like the penatlies appearing on the Weapons Tab.
Mark said: Saevar L. said: You know how in the class section of the PC sheet, how you can customize additional messages onto specific things such as attack rolls, Saving throws, ability checks etc. I wouldn't mind seeing such a similar function for NPCs. Since sometimes NPCs have special functions that happen when X is rolled, or when they have resistances etc. Things to remind a DM when their stuff is being rolled. Those are traits and will function like the new actions when I get around to revamping them. I had a discussion about it with Greg in the importer thread. If you think there are examples of where an actions like system will not work please do point them out. From what I've seen things like surprise attack on Bugbear they are one time actions generally. Little late to this but I've found a few more. Dive Attack, a gnoll's Rampage ability etc.. Its sort of a do we include them on every time to avoid forgetting or risk forgetting, make a macro shrugs..

Edited 1431531871
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
13 May 2015 Cleaned up CSS and expanded the roll template 20 px to the left Moved Ritual and Concentration icon to the top right of the roll template header Cantrips/spells: These all belong in the spellbook. If there is enough desire I can remove repeating from the spellbook to make it accessible via rolls. It shouldn't break anything, but would add a lot of bloat to the sheet. I'd likely have to add 20 for each level beyond Cantrips. Traits: Greg B. said: Little late to this but I've found a few more. Dive Attack, a gnoll's Rampage ability etc.. Its sort of a do we include them on every time to avoid forgetting or risk forgetting, make a macro shrugs.. Also a boar's charge. I, personally, would not want them on every attack. I do not think that is a good design to always print out these extra things. I think GMs will use the Action/Trait system in 2 ways: They'll have the actions/traits open and will be able to see all the listed options. (more likely) They will use the token action bar to do most attacks. In this case I am of the opinion that an extra button that says "Charge", "Rampage", "Dive Attack" is enough of a reminder to click it or investigate further if you do not know what it does. Please le me know if you see it differently.
I think the second option works best, I swear I forget half the monsters abilities when I never have to open their page. I don't know if that's how the weapons look now but the global bonuses to them looks a bit awkward on it's own in the top right, wouldn't it make more sense to have a single long line and avoid the grey space?

Edited 1431534002
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
RMcD said: I don't know if that's how the weapons look now but the global bonuses to them looks a bit awkward on it's own in the top right, wouldn't it make more sense to have a single long line and avoid the grey space? It needs to stay consistent with the one on the front page. It works better on the spellbook page as that page has other things there. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it on the Weapons page. Maybe 1x8 instead of 2x4.
Mark said: 13 May 2015 Cleaned up CSS and expanded the roll template 20 px to the left Moved Ritual and Concentration icon to the top right of the roll template header Cantrips/spells: These all belong in the spellbook. If there is enough desire I can remove repeating from the spellbook to make it accessible via rolls. It shouldn't break anything, but would add a lot of bloat to the sheet. I'd likely have to add 20 for each level beyond Cantrips. Traits: Greg B. said: Little late to this but I've found a few more. Dive Attack, a gnoll's Rampage ability etc.. Its sort of a do we include them on every time to avoid forgetting or risk forgetting, make a macro shrugs.. Also a boar's charge. I, personally, would not want them on every attack. I do not think that is a good design to always print out these extra things. I think GMs will use the Action/Trait system in 2 ways: They'll have the actions/traits open and will be able to see all the listed options. (more likely) They will use the token action bar to do most attacks. In this case I am of the opinion that an extra button that says "Charge", "Rampage", "Dive Attack" is enough of a reminder to click it or investigate further if you do not know what it does. Please le me know if you see it differently. Thats fine tbh. I could add the feature in myself. #2 is perfectly fine. I use toke-notes for now so. In hind-sight its not needed at all to have such a feature. I just use it on Saving throws/resistences etc.
Mark said: 13 May 2015 Cleaned up CSS and expanded the roll template 20 px to the left Moved Ritual and Concentration icon to the top right of the roll template header Cantrips/spells: These all belong in the spellbook. If there is enough desire I can remove repeating from the spellbook to make it accessible via rolls. It shouldn't break anything, but would add a lot of bloat to the sheet. I'd likely have to add 20 for each level beyond Cantrips. Traits: Greg B. said: Little late to this but I've found a few more. Dive Attack, a gnoll's Rampage ability etc.. Its sort of a do we include them on every time to avoid forgetting or risk forgetting, make a macro shrugs.. Also a boar's charge. I, personally, would not want them on every attack. I do not think that is a good design to always print out these extra things. I think GMs will use the Action/Trait system in 2 ways: They'll have the actions/traits open and will be able to see all the listed options. (more likely) They will use the token action bar to do most attacks. In this case I am of the opinion that an extra button that says "Charge", "Rampage", "Dive Attack" is enough of a reminder to click it or investigate further if you do not know what it does. Please le me know if you see it differently. Well I do it one of two ways, I add the combat trait to each of the attacks that it represents under the effects for each roll (whispered to gm) whisper the traits of the npc/monster if it's unique but in most cases I do the first one, as the extra space isn't a big deal and if the not/monster can set it up to use this ability they will do so assuming it presents only minimal risk to them in doing so. Sort of look at it like the ALT damage for versital weapons. if there was a combat trait section I would use it to link it to the attacks, but to each their own. The less things I have to think about while playing the better the game runs.
As for the cantrips, I just view them similar to weapon attacks in the sense they are always present. Not a big fan of extra bloat though.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said: but in most cases I do the first one, as the extra space isn't a big deal and if the not/monster can set it up to use this ability they will do so assuming it presents only minimal risk to them in doing so. Sort of look at it like the ALT damage for versital weapons. if there was a combat trait section I would use it to link it to the attacks, but to each their own. The less things I have to think about while playing the better the game runs. Alt damage is totally different though - Alt can be used at any time. Whereas these traits have to meet specific requirements. If anything I'd make the class options available to NPCs to give you what you want. It fulfils exactly what you want. But it's not a small amount of work. I wouldn't want to do it unless there is a large desire to make it happen. Greg B. said: As for the cantrips, I just view them similar to weapon attacks in the sense they are always present. Not a big fan of extra bloat though. Cantrips would only need ~5-7 max. Wouldn't be much bloat. It could be a temporary solution until we get support for repeating sections .
Yeah at this point everything is working very well it's mostly cosmetic, would much rather see a chargen importer :)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said: Yeah at this point everything is working very well it's mostly cosmetic, would much rather see a chargen importer :) I have to finish weapons first! Also I think making Cantrips' rolls accessible would be a good idea.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
13 May 2015 Part 2 Put Range, Reach, target, and spell details in the roll template header. Here are the new roll templates: Wider and include more details. Spells include most every detail on the cast. They also have new icons that are positioned at the top right Weapons show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged), reach, and range Actions show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged, Line, Cone), reach, range, and target None include the character name now as it didn't add any value and actually gave info to PCs if you rolled NPCs openly. Much cleaner! :)
Mark said: None include the character name now as it didn't add any value and actually gave info to PCs if you rolled NPCs openly. Much cleaner! :) Agreed. However, you can have more than 7 cantrips easily if you multi-multi-class. I think I ended up with 21 cantrips if I got all classes that gained cantrips to the level they could start using them, so it may go even slightly higher.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
DKitten said: However, you can have more than 7 cantrips easily if you multi-multi-class. I think I ended up with 21 cantrips if I got all classes that gained cantrips to the level they could start using them, so it may go even slightly higher. Ridiculous.
And she still had "levels wasted" on classes that don't gain cantrips. If she put some levels into Sorcerer and whatnot, or chose one of the divine domains that grant additional cantrips... I mean, she's got no power because she's low-level in everything. But she has no shortage of cantrips :P
How can you even explain that away story wise Dkitten lol. I believe in X and X god, I made a pact with demons, and I also have mastery over the weave. xD etc

Edited 1431569911
She has a pact with the dice fairies (Outsider contract) and worships them (Trickery or Knowledge domain), and she's an elf (wild magic).
Looks great! I might re-add the character name, without displaying it, for API purposes so I can capture what character casted what. Unfortunately snagging that via the 'message author' isn't suitable due to GM-casted spells. (I could change the 'sending as' option in chat for every cast, but that gets old fast).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason H. said: I might re-add the character name, without displaying it, for API purposes so I can capture what character casted what. Unfortunately snagging that via the 'message author' isn't suitable due to GM-casted spells. (I could change the 'sending as' option in chat for every cast, but that gets old fast). Out of curiosity, what API needs this? I could add the character_name for the button roll and just not display it in the template.
Mark said: Out of curiosity, what API needs this? I could add the character_name for the button roll and just not display it in the template. <a href="https://github.com/alienth/mylittlebeholder/blob/m" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/alienth/mylittlebeholder/blob/m</a>... , so just my own campaign. No need to add it if it isn't appropriate for the sheet; I can do so in my own copy. I may be the only one that relies upon it this way, at the moment.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well it's not much work at all. I can put it back in as character_name. So you'll have to adjust your script to read that instead of subheader. Does that work for you?
Works for me :) Thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason H. said: Works for me :) Thanks! Done.
DKitten said: She has a pact with the dice fairies (Outsider contract) and worships them (Trickery or Knowledge domain), and she's an elf (wild magic). Lol! Thats amazing! I love it! :D
Mark said: 13 May 2015 Part 2 Put Range, Reach, target, and spell details in the roll template header. Here are the new roll templates: Wider and include more details. Spells include most every detail on the cast. They also have new icons that are positioned at the top right Weapons show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged), reach, and range Actions show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged, Line, Cone), reach, range, and target None include the character name now as it didn't add any value and actually gave info to PCs if you rolled NPCs openly. Much cleaner! :) Thanks Mark. These are beautiful and better formated IMO. I also have seen the light and conformed to your method of dealing with the macro stuff :P
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm glad you guys like the new roll templates. :) Has anyone experimented with the new weapons? Anything you'd change? I'm planning on duplicating them by this weekend.
Realistically there are only going to be a handful of spells you cast often enough to want them beside the weapons. If there was a way to check a weapon/spell and that would add it to the list at the first page. If that's possible I think that would be the best way of doing it.0
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The best way to do it is allow repeating rolls to be called, but that's not possible. Since that's not an option Spells are not Weapons and do not belong in weapons. There is really only 1 temporary solution to offer: Bloat out the spells by hard coding a lot of each level. Roll20 is not dynamic enough to do things like you just suggested - that all requires javascript which roll20 cannot do.
@Mark, Is this still the best macro to pull out the NPC Traits? I know senses doesn't work everything seems to, even with no NPC sheet. Is there one for senses that will work? I tried senses and npc_senses @{selected|output_option} &{template:5eDefault} {{title=NPC Traits}} {{subheader=@{selected|character_name}}} {{Resistance=@{selected|damage_resistance}}} {{Vuln.=@{selected|damage_vulnerability}}} {{Immunity=@{selected|damage_immunity}}} {{Condition immunity=@{selected|condition_immunity}}} {{Traits=@{selected|npc_traits}}} {{outputall=1}} {{Speed=@{selected|speed}}} {{Fly=@{selected|speed_fly}}} {{Climb=@{selected|speed_climb}}} {{Swim=@{selected|speed_swim}}} {{Senses=@{selected|senses}}} I bind this to a token action on every NPC to hopefully avoid skipping a charge, trample, trait action etc.. Thanks, Greg
Oh yeah, and I like having the name in there too if possible. To be honest if it could also pull the token status marker that would be awesome too, but not sure thats possible.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You have the name under subheader. Resistances and those all look good. Traits are still called npc_traits for now until I revamp them. speeds are correct, but you've forgotten burrow and hover. Senses is split into all the vision types.
I am having trouble with @{target|token_name} in the class actions on one of my character sheets. It works fin on other characters, but on this one it does nothing and if I use [[@{target|token_name}]] I get SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but "@" found. I don't understand why it only doesn't work on this 1 character.
Never mind, it is not working on other characters. It used to. Very confused
I just confirmed that @{target|token_name} works on Actoba's 5e sheet
I think I figured it out. Roll20 was requesting a target from another macro that I had used and it was hidden by the character sheet windows. If it's waiting on a target, then other @{target}s won't work.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This seems unrelated to the sheet. token_name is the name of the token while the sheet deals with journal attributes. I just tested it on my sheet, the default 5e sheet, and the pathfinder sheet. [[@{target|token_name}]] will return the error you see. @{target|token_name} will not.
Mark said: You have the name under subheader. Resistances and those all look good. Traits are still called npc_traits for now until I revamp them. speeds are correct, but you've forgotten burrow and hover. Senses is split into all the vision types. Sorry I meant with your new Templates, not showing the name. So for senses I would have to lay them all out.. {{Senses=@{selected|senses}}} {{Darkvision=@{selected|darkvision}}} {{Truesight=@{selected|truesight}}} {{Passive Perception=@{selected|passive_perception}}}
Mark said: 13 May 2015 Part 2 Put Range, Reach, target, and spell details in the roll template header. Here are the new roll templates: Wider and include more details. Spells include most every detail on the cast. They also have new icons that are positioned at the top right Weapons show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged), reach, and range Actions show the type (Melee, Thrown, Ranged, Line, Cone), reach, range, and target None include the character name now as it didn't add any value and actually gave info to PCs if you rolled NPCs openly. Much cleaner! :) Definitely like the new templates! I really would like to have the name in there to if possible. I mentioned it in another post but thought I would clarify it here.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said : Definitely like the new templates! I really would like to have the name in there to if possible. I mentioned it in another post but thought I would clarify it here. Can you clarify why? What value does it add as you see which PC sent it already. Unless you mean for NPCs.
Mark said: Greg B. said : Definitely like the new templates! I really would like to have the name in there to if possible. I mentioned it in another post but thought I would clarify it here. Can you clarify why? What value does it add as you see which PC sent it already. Unless you mean for NPCs. Yes NPCs, I don't think I really need to know for PCs. But with npc's i will do a bunch of rolls.. ahead of time, and then determine targets as it gets to them, but if it could also detect a status marker and put that along with the info that would be amazing.. I.E. Bandit 1 (Red) Melee / 5ft. , Bandit 2 (Orange) Melee / 5ft. etc..
Mark said: Greg B. said : Definitely like the new templates! I really would like to have the name in there to if possible. I mentioned it in another post but thought I would clarify it here. Can you clarify why? What value does it add as you see which PC sent it already. Unless you mean for NPCs. A caveat, sometimes we will get started and I will end up NPC's a PC until they show. I know I can set my output to be from that character but then i'll be clicking back in forth in chat. So I think it does add some value for PCs but not really sure how much, compared to NPC value.