Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[New] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I will take a look tomorrow as it's late here.
Hi Mark, First of all, thank you so much for the sheet! It's so much more readable and easier for the players in my campaign to navigate. I'm wondering if you could elaborate some of the improvements you wanted to make, but couldn't due to breakage or legacy issues. I'm thinking of making a fork which doesn't care about breaking stuff, for my own use. (But I'd be happy to contribute any changes you find helpful via pull requests). Thanks!
Ignore my last bug report. Turns out a malformed macro caused my issue.

Edited 1430734528
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The things I'd like to change aren't major. They are mostly user experience chances. Examples: Spells have checkboxes to output content and tabs to show/hide content. I combined these when doing Actions and it's a much cleaner UX. I'd like to do the same on spells. Also the way they are currently stored prevents any changing of the formula in the future. In Actions I instead reference a hidden variable so that the user only stores the hidden variable name and I can change the contents as I please. Actions - I'd potentially want to follow what I did on weapons. Meaning get rid of "Crit dmg" and instead use "dmg dice" and "dmg bonus". It's for consistency and ease of use. Those are the 2 main things, but others are limited as well. Because of this I'm going to take my time on the weapons revamp and test it more before I fully release it. The problem with that though is no-one uses it before I release it. It's a bit of a catch 22.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I made ability bonuses from the global area apply on initiative as it should. I also adjusted spells so the description prints out first (kind of like an emote). If anyone is waiting on any particular functionality please let me know as I haven't seen much that needs major tweaking lately.
First thing I want to say is that I love your sheet. It's so accessible, putting everything I need except my spellbook (understandable, of course) on the front page. The existence of this sheet is part of the reason I purchased mentorship ♪ The second thing I want to say is that I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself with these two suggestions ;u; One of the things I've had issues with is the Alert feat, which increases a few passive-only ability scores. I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a way to manually modify the passive scores like you've added to the ability checks and saving throws. It looks like you have a small column of room in the skills box, but I'm not sure if you're somehow limited by roll20's original variable definitions (I'm not much of a programmer @-@). With regards to the spellbook...I'm assuming it would be difficult to mark certain spells as "favorites" or something (hell, maybe the 'Prepared' would work) and give two buttons on the front page for Info and Cast? There's also the issue with the number of spells that would show up on high-level multi-class casters, which is why I said 'favorites' over 'prepared'. Such a list, to me, would include "spell level", "spell name", marks for concentration and ritual, and then the two buttons per spell.

Edited 1431004379
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks DKitten! Passive Skill Bonuses: These do need to be added. I MAY add them on the Core Sheet. I slimmed down the saves/checks/skill column with the idea of shrinking it and expanding the right-most column a bit. I may add them to the settings tab or another tab. They are quite rare and based on feats mostly. Maybe a "Feats" tab. Showing spells on the front page: There is absolutely no way I can filter and show only "___" spells on the front page. Whether that is "Favorite", "Prepared", "Concentration, "Ritual", or whatever. roll20 simply cannot do these kind of things that would require Javascript. The only option I have is to "hard code" what values show on the core page.
Yeah, as I said, I'm not much of a coder @-@ But thank you for all you've done so far. Your sheet is far far more accessible than the default sheet, and it was an absolute godsend when my DM switched ♫
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
FYI I put in bonuses for passive values, but forgot to commit. I'll commit them tomorrow.
@Mark, Thanks for your continued efforts with the sheet and the importer. I think I remember reading about something here on the forums about the effects box on the first NPC sheet , that repeating action 0 wasn't displaying the effects, but now I can't seem to find it and I've ran into that issue. Is there a solution already or you just need time to dig in and find it?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg, I indeed fixed that. Do you have the latest code? I see it working
Mark, would you consider splitting the "Spell cast" output option for Class Actions into "Spell Cast" and "Cantrip Cast"? Currently, the only thing I'm using Class Action for is the Wild Magic check for my group's wild mage, and those don't trigger on cantrips.
Ah, yeah I was using the selected sheet, not the latest version. Anything that I need to fix if I'm grabbing the script?

Edited 1431037824
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Clinton R. said: Mark, would you consider splitting the "Spell cast" output option for Class Actions into "Spell Cast" and "Cantrip Cast"? Currently, the only thing I'm using Class Action for is the Wild Magic check for my group's wild mage, and those don't trigger on cantrips. I could do so, ya. I'll do that tomorrow. Greg B. said: Ah, yeah I was using the selected sheet, not the latest version. Anything that I need to fix if I'm grabbing the script? Grabbing the script? I don't know the last version you used. The only major thing that changed is Actions has split out range/reach/etc now. You can retoggle or it'll work by default, just won't show the fields in the char sheet (it will show them in the output)

Edited 1431038443
Sorry, so if I reselect it it will update? Or do I have to do something with the html or css? i have the effects in but it won't display in the output for the first action. The rest of them, 1-5 seem to work as far as I can tell.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I see the effects working fine on all the actions. Maybe you should invite me to the game so I can check it out.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
To be clear: you need to use the html and css from github. Roll20 hasn't updated in many days.
Ah, where can I find a tutorial on how to do that?

Edited 1431039542
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Click the link in the op. Open the html page and the css page in a new window. Click raw. Select all (control+a on Windows) copy. Open up campaign settings on roll20. Choose custom sheet. In the html tab paste. Go back to the css page from github. Copy. Go to campaign settings. Css tab. Paste. Save and then reload your campaign window and you'll have the latest. On mobile so it's a bit hard to be clear, sorry.
Not a problem, ok great I will give that a shot, thanks was looking for a custom option in the sheets but must have overlooked it. On mobile to waiting for a plane and to lazy to get my laptop out.
That fixed it, thanks. How long does it normally take roll20 to use the current sheet?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
8th May 2015 Added skill passive bonus Cleaned up skills on core sheet Shrunk Prof bonus and Exhaustion level inputs. Roll20 has been updating my code to live about once every 2 weeks - usually on a Tuesday/Wednesday.
Cool, good to know. Thanks Mark.
If I changed the drop-down selection in my campaign settings from the original character sheet, to (shaped), what happens? Will it automatically transfer my PCs sheets into the new design? I apologize if this question has already been address. I looked and didn't see it. Thanks, everyone!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mark said: Differences between this version and the current version: PCs remain mostly the same. Things that have changed: Armor Vision Spell Prepared, Ritual, Concentration Class specific Expertise Jack of All Trades (retoggle it in 1 place) NPCs lose most everything, but the old NPC sheet is still included and you can use conversion/import scripts. It is in the first post. :)
what Mark said. I transferred my campaign from the other 5e sheet, and it transferred over about 95% successfully. Just some odd bits here and there like adding critical values to weapons and redoing the armor
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Clinton R. said: what Mark said. I transferred my campaign from the other 5e sheet, and it transferred over about 95% successfully. Just some odd bits here and there like adding critical values to weapons and redoing the armor Weapon crits have to be put in for the default sheet now as well. Roll20 made a change. My new weapons don't require it.

Edited 1431188145
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
FYI: I WILL REMOVE THE OLD NPC SHEET NO LATER THAN JUNE 22nd Please make sure all NPCs are switched over by then. You can also use the importer which is much easier. I'll likely fully implement the new weapons and hide the old weapons by default (they'll still work for a few months).

Edited 1431207378
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
9th May 2015 Added more German translations from Rouby . Core, Background, and Spells Split all the pages into their own html file which is all combined via GULP - this change only matters for contributors. It helps manage the pages to split the 20,000 lines to different files. Thanks again to Rouby and his players who are translating this sheet to German.
June 22nd huh? Guess I'll need to keep a final copy before hand :< (I prefer the simplicity of adjusting NPC stuff sorry)

Edited 1431265745
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can accomplish the same thing by putting the description in the emote and all the hard coded stuff in the "Effects" input.
If I want tho most current sheet, what are the steps to follow?
Is there still no way to call spells through Abilities buttons?
Thats not a feature of any sheet Robert N. (As in, repeating fields cannot be called via macros but only through the API.) If you wish to get a spell as an ability button, fill in the spell field, roll it out/run the spell so it produces an output in the chat box. Click the chatbox and push the "Arrow up" key on your keyboard. This will give you the framework of that spell, copy and paste it into an ability button. I personally just convert all spells to an ability and keep them on a character sheet. I can just CharUtils API to dump all the spells to new monsters / characters if I ever need them.
Saevar L. said: Thats not a feature of any sheet Robert N. (As in, repeating fields cannot be called via macros but only through the API.) If you wish to get a spell as an ability button, fill in the spell field, roll it out/run the spell so it produces an output in the chat box. Click the chatbox and push the "Arrow up" key on your keyboard. This will give you the framework of that spell, copy and paste it into an ability button. That works just fine! Thank you Saevar L. said: I personally just convert all spells to an ability and keep them on a character sheet. I can just CharUtils API to dump all the spells to new monsters / characters if I ever need them. Could you give a little more detail on how that works?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Robert N. said: If I want tho most current sheet, what are the steps to follow? Mark said: Click the link in the op. Open the html page and the css page in a new window. Click raw. Select all (control+a on Windows) copy. Open up campaign settings on roll20. Choose custom sheet. In the html tab paste. Go back to the css page from github. Copy. Go to campaign settings. Css tab. Paste. Save and then reload your campaign window and you'll have the latest. On mobile so it's a bit hard to be clear, sorry. Robert N. said: Is there still no way to call spells through Abilities buttons? As Saevar said it doesn't work with roll20. Please upvote this: Official support for repeating sections in character sheets I would suggest not converting all spells, but only the commonly used cantrips for instance. You still need to modify spells used and everything so I'd suggest popping out your character sheet to always have it open. @Saevar: Regarding removing the old NPC sheet: Does the emote/effects fit your needs? It should replace the Description & other field from the old sheet.
@Saevar: Regarding removing the old NPC sheet: Does the emote/effects fit your needs? It should replace the Description & other field from the old sheet. There is nothing wrong with your method of doing the emotes/effects of your sheet mark. It is your preference for them. The reason why I liked your sheet is because it displays all the necessary information straight on the first page. I find it easier to customize an output with the old version. If I want an emote. Its easy to just put it in /em in the abilities tab etc. You have formatted it into a prettier output, but it breaks my current referenced abilities to macro (Even with your converter). So I don't feel like changing it over yet. HOWEVER saying that it has reminded me of a suggestion for your NPC section. You know how in the class section of the PC sheet, how you can customize additional messages onto specific things such as attack rolls, Saving throws, ability checks etc. I wouldn't mind seeing such a similar function for NPCs. Since sometimes NPCs have special functions that happen when X is rolled, or when they have resistances etc. Things to remind a DM when their stuff is being rolled.
Saevar L. said: I personally just convert all spells to an ability and keep them on a character sheet. I can just CharUtils API to dump all the spells to new monsters / characters if I ever need them. Could you give a little more detail on how that works? An example of the 1st level spells I have created. Easily referenced from another NPC/PC through %{1st-Wizard Spell Book|Shield} etc
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: @Saevar: Regarding removing the old NPC sheet: Does the emote/effects fit your needs? It should replace the Description & other field from the old sheet. There is nothing wrong with your method of doing the emotes/effects of your sheet mark. It is your preference for them. The reason why I liked your sheet is because it displays all the necessary information straight on the first page. I find it easier to customize an output with the old version. If I want an emote. Its easy to just put it in /em in the abilities tab etc. You have formatted it into a prettier output, but it breaks my current referenced abilities to macro (Even with your converter). So I don't feel like changing it over yet. HOWEVER saying that it has reminded me of a suggestion for your NPC section. But it does accomplish the same thing, right? The old system just prints out the values in there, so does emote and effects. So if you want to then the new system of doing it can accept a more open way as well. Is there anything that is broken? The emote/effects are shown once you click them open - you don't have to do it every time.

Edited 1431287887
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: You know how in the class section of the PC sheet, how you can customize additional messages onto specific things such as attack rolls, Saving throws, ability checks etc. I wouldn't mind seeing such a similar function for NPCs. Since sometimes NPCs have special functions that happen when X is rolled, or when they have resistances etc. Things to remind a DM when their stuff is being rolled. Those are traits and will function like the new actions when I get around to revamping them. I had a discussion about it with Greg in the importer thread. If you think there are examples of where an actions like system will not work please do point them out. From what I've seen things like surprise attack on Bugbear they are one time actions generally.
Mark, I just want to say a big "Thank You!!!" for making this char sheet. My players and I are loving it so far. Can't wait for the next version! Thanks again man and Keep on coding!
Mark said: Saevar L. said: @Saevar: Regarding removing the old NPC sheet: Does the emote/effects fit your needs? It should replace the Description & other field from the old sheet. There is nothing wrong with your method of doing the emotes/effects of your sheet mark. It is your preference for them. The reason why I liked your sheet is because it displays all the necessary information straight on the first page. I find it easier to customize an output with the old version. If I want an emote. Its easy to just put it in /em in the abilities tab etc. You have formatted it into a prettier output, but it breaks my current referenced abilities to macro (Even with your converter). So I don't feel like changing it over yet. HOWEVER saying that it has reminded me of a suggestion for your NPC section. But it does accomplish the same thing, right? The old system just prints out the values in there, so does emote and effects. So if you want to then the new system of doing it can accept a more open way as well. Is there anything that is broken? The emote/effects are shown once you click them open - you don't have to do it every time. Oh as far as I can tell, and with my experimentation of it, its mostly fine. I have not enountered any areas yet. Though the converter never converts from the old to the new very well. ( I have well over 90+ Monsters now on the old and I'm not reconfiguring anymore then I have too ^_^;)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It converts from the old to the new if you used the old importer. If you modified the old values then it won't work, correct. The steps to import are very very low, but that's your choice. Glad to know that there are no issues.

Edited 1431387720
One issue I may have found, but have yet to confirm. The existence of the hd_dX_max in both a formula (for players), and a non-formula (for NPCs) appears to make it impossible to fetch the formula as an attribute, via a chat message or the API. To reproduce, simply type the following for a character in chat: @{CharName|hd_d6_max}. It produces a completely empty result. Compare this to another formula which isn't duplicated on an NPC sheet: @{CharName|warlock_spell_slots_max}. It spits out the formula. I'm going to test renaming the max hd attributes for NPCs to see what happens. **Edit**: Confirmed. Renaming the non-formula copy makes the formula accessible.

Edited 1431424624
Hi Mark, Curious to get your thoughts on adding a 'materials' field to the spell book. Since some spells require specific materials costing a specific amount, I'd like to record as such in the spell book. Putting those details in the 'Components' field isn't suitable, due to the length of that field, and also how it is displayed in the roll template. What do you think about something like the following in terms of the roll template? Of note: Idea lifted from the design found here: <a href="http://hardcodex.ru/cleric/" rel="nofollow">http://hardcodex.ru/cleric/</a>

Edited 1431425958
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As discussed on github I fixed that hd issue. Spell Components: That way seems to blend in quite significantly imo. Why would we want to put the component cost in a different area than "Components"? This is how I currently use it: It matches how it looks in the book. (I'll change "Comp." to spell out the full name "Components" btw)
I'm not a fan of the existing display, as it bloats out the first row considerably leaving a bunch of whitespace under 'Class'. Also the field in the existing spell book leaves no room for components, which makes it rather hard to edit or review at a glance. This made me think that the sheet doesn't intend you to put the components in that field, which is what lead me to consider a separate spot for them.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If there are issues of readability then those should be fixed by using a textarea for example. Components belong under components. We shouldn't stray from the book's layout unless there is a good reason to.