Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[New] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
As far as the specific token action is concerned, I believe the new format is %{selected|repeating_actions_0_action} based on what I'm seeing from the monsters I'm importing... And increment 0...1...2 etc for the actions on the sheet. hope this helps.
Thanks Tom. I understand all that and am almost done re-entering that information. But wondering about fixing my macros/token actions to refer to the new actions. "%{selected|NPC_Action_1}" is no longer a valid macro. The only iteration I found that returns anything other than an error is "%{selected|NPCAction1}" and it just returns a generic blank action. Also I think there's an error on the actions that doesn't return the Effects field along with the other highlighted fields when the action on the npc sheet is used. But that's probably a question for Mark :)
Tom F. said: As far as the specific token action is concerned, I believe the new format is %{selected|repeating_actions_0_action} based on what I'm seeing from the monsters I'm importing... And increment 0...1...2 etc for the actions on the sheet. hope this helps. YES THANK YOU! That's it.
Danny said: Also I think there's an error on the actions that doesn't return the Effects field along with the other highlighted fields when the action on the npc sheet is used. But that's probably a question for Mark :) Update: this appears to only be an issue on the first action (repeating_actions_0_action). The second one down display the effects properly.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well this is one way to learn that a lot more people than you expected are using your sheet.. I severely underestimated. Again, my apologies for causing you guys extra work. Ashborne said: Anyone else getting this error when trying to attack with a character using either the quick attacks from Core Stats or the Weapons tab? SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. This looks like you do not have any thing in the "Crit Damage" field for that weapon. Same issue as the default 5e sheet. It needs to have something in it. Usually the weapon damage again. I will revamp the weapon attacks soon, but for now we deal with the issues that they have. Danny said: On another note, I notice that when activated the npc actions do not display the "effect" field (all other field seem to display properly). Also still trying to figure out if the token action link to the new npc actions is possible but reading about it, is it no longer possible now since the npc actions now conform to repeating syntax? The effect field does seem to be broken. I will fix. I see it not working for all of them. They are pseudo-repeating. I tried to make them repeating, but then we wouldn't be able to access the button rolls. I thought I had a workaround, but it didn't work. TL;DR: You can still access them by the naming convention you guys figured out above. Looks like you guys have it mostly figured out. For those of you who entered the data by hand I'll write a short script to convert it. It'll take only an hour or two.
Mark said: This looks like you do not have any thing in the "Crit Damage" field for that weapon. Same issue as the default 5e sheet. It needs to have something in it. Usually the weapon damage again. I will revamp the weapon attacks soon, but for now we deal with the issues that they have. Thanks that worked.
I'm not sure what the advantage is on these changes to npc attacks. i had my info entered adequately before and now I'm having to re-enter them and I don't even know how to set up multi-attack anymore. I can enter the text but there's no checkboxes anymore. instead there's a multi-attack script and I have no idea what I'm supposed to put there. I'm finding it a bit frustrating having to do all this a second time as it seemed easier to do the first time.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Clinton R. said: I'm not sure what the advantage is on these changes to npc attacks. i had my info entered adequately before and now I'm having to re-enter them and I don't even know how to set up multi-attack anymore. I can enter the text but there's no checkboxes anymore. instead there's a multi-attack script and I have no idea what I'm supposed to put there. I'm finding it a bit frustrating having to do all this a second time as it seemed easier to do the first time. TBH there isn't much advantage in the end. I was hoping to make them repeatable and had a good solution that would work, but in the end the way I toggle & show/hide did not work with the example I saw from the pathfinder sheets. At which point I'd gone quite far. I had the choice to revert to the old name or use the new name system (repeating system) to hopefully make switching to a repeating section easier. I was unaware that so many people were using it. Had I known I would've been more careful and not done the breaking change. When we finally get good repeating support (btw plz upvote <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/official" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/official</a>... ) I'll likely stop developing this sheet and create a fork of it that does repeating sections. That way people can stay with the old sheet or switch to the repeating sheet. To address your immediate concerns: I will be writing a script to convert old name to new name. You're a mentor so you can easily do it. Multiattack: The way it has been handled wasn't great. It included the text on every item and then when I hit the multiattack macro it would then spit out that multiattack text 2-4 times (with each attack). The text is still there, on the sheet and is still visible as it was before. It just simply doesn't print out with each attack. What you're intended to do is use the multiattack script block to create the multiattack macro as its own entity. This is the same thing that used to be in the token macro area.. Ideally you'd just use the importer and it all works. If you'd rather do it manually then yes, it is a bit more cryptic. I also considered adding select boxes to select the attacks, but then THAT would be a breaking change for everyone who has already imported multiattack. The end result of the script block is quite simple, but manual. You just reference the attacks that are defined below. Example: %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_3_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_0_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_1_action} %{Ancient Black Dragon|repeating_actions_1_action} As you can see handling improving the sheet and breaking changes isn't so simple as any structure changes will break for someone. This sheet is in active development and will continue to change rapidly for the forseable future. Hopefully in non-breaking ways. If you do not want to have the latest changes as a mentor you can take the old version and stick with it.
Mark said: At which point I'd gone quite far. I had the choice to revert to the old name or use the new name system (repeating system) to hopefully make switching to a repeating section easie r. I was unaware that so many people were using it . Had I known I would've been more careful and not done the breaking change. When we finally get good repeating support (btw plz upvote <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/official" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240016/official</a>... ) I'll likely stop developing this sheet and create a fork of it that does repeating sections. That way people can stay with the old sheet or switch to the repeating sheet. cough, didn't I say that numbers would be good, if you can tell what version of your sheet most people are using then it'd be easier to plan for mass customer service ;)
There are upsides and downsides to rapid development. Upsides... new features faster. Downside... greater risk of disruption or changes that have an impact. As Mark said, if you are a mentor and have a version of the sheet that fits your need, you may want to stick with that version. If you aren't a mentor then need to understand that there is a greater risk of disruption/change with a sheet while it is in a rapid development phase. @Mark - It seems to me that much of the concern is around the NPC sheet. Might it be possible to have a configuration between showing the "legacy" (original Actoba) NPC sheet vs. the new style? Not sure if this would help, or hurt things. I know you can bring this up, but honestly where it shows up at the bottom of the page feels rather inefficient. It is almost like it should have it's own "mode" (like the switch from PC to NPC). Just a thought (maybe a bad one, I dunno).

Edited 1430313934
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kevin said: @Mark - It seems to me that much of the concern is around the NPC sheet. Might it be possible to have a configuration between showing the "legacy" (original Actoba) NPC sheet vs. the new style? Not sure if this would help, or hurt things. I know you can bring this up, but honestly where it shows up at the bottom of the page feels rather inefficient. It is almost like it should have it's own "mode" (like the switch from PC to NPC). Just a thought (maybe a bad one, I dunno). The legacy sheet is there. The issue here is the "new legacy" - intermediate step which was switched to the "repeating" syntax recently. I don't plan to make the legacy syntax more prominent - it's being depreciated and will be removed eventually unless I hear a large desire to keep it.

Edited 1430314947
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
NPC_Action Syntax to repeating Syntax converter script released .
Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
Mark, first, thanks for all the work you put into this. While this is a bit inconvenient right this second I don't want it to take away from all the great work you've done that makes the game experience so much better, for the players and me as DM. I am testing and reimporting all my "old" Monsters, and I am noticing a few inconveniences that hopefully you can help me address: 1) for some reason, the new actions being created do not, by default, have the new "Details" tab turned on to display. This was the default with the previous script and sheet, and there is valuable info there like reach, range and target. How can I get this to default "on" during import or by default? 2) I have the import script set to import passive_perception into bar2, however, while the token shows that bar2 should indeed represent passive_perception, the values are blank. Not sure if this is a script issue or the sheet. When I change the token bar2 focus to something else, then switch back to passive_perception, it fills in the info. Thanks for all the hard work. Cheers
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks for the positive reinforcement Tom. :) You should post script issues in the script thread. I have responded there: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1816031/script-d</a>...
Mark said: To address your immediate concerns: I will be writing a script to convert old name to new name. You're a mentor so you can easily do it. Hi Mark. Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. In general, I think what you're doing on the sheet is great, which is why I switched over to it. My players find it more readable Yes, as a mentor I can use an import script however that would imply I have somewhere to import from . I usually create my npcs manually a few days before the session..How I handle things for my npcs is probably different from most DMs, but in a nutshell: I have a master npc sheet that I have set up with some stock values and some generic token actions (attack1, attack2, attack3) keyed to the same attack lines. I copy off my master and then fill in the details. Then I merely have to rename the token actions (attack1 becomes bite, attack2 becomes claw, etc.) I found it helpful to be able to select multi-attack the old way because it would then remind me when I use the bite from the giant badger that came out of my party's bag of holding, that I should be using the claws as well. But I can handle this new method, now that I know what I'm supposed to put in the field to make it work.

Edited 1430335205
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
29th April 2015 Actions: Effects now print out I also put nested inline rolls in a few days ago.
Tom F.
Pro
API Scripter
Mark, you are a rockstar! Things are working fantastically.
Mark, one other thing I noticed with the new spellbook layout is if you click the modify button to try to delete a spell the delete icon no longer appears. Can't figure out how to delete a spell listing, best I can do now is leave it blank but it remains there.

Edited 1430385529
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Danny said: Mark, one other thing I noticed with the new spellbook layout is if you click the modify button to try to delete a spell the delete icon no longer appears. Can't figure out how to delete a spell listing, best I can do now is leave it blank but it remains there. Will fix it today.
Dan B.
Marketplace Creator
Didn't see if already addressed, but show target AC on attack doesn't function on the NPC sheet. Works fine with player sheet. Keep up the good work!

Edited 1430396220
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Correct, it was only created to work with the PC weapons. It could also apply to the Actions stuff. I will add it to actions and to spells.
If I switch mid campaign would I need to rebuild all the character sheets? or does field data transfer?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Differences between this version and the current version: PCs remain mostly the same. Things that have changed: Armor Vision Spell Prepared, Ritual, Concentration Class specific Expertise Jack of All Trades NPCs lose most everything, but the old NPC sheet is still included and you can use conversion/import scripts. That should give you the info you need. :)

Edited 1430405384
I noticed this when I was playing with the sheet, but setting an attack bonus in the core stats does not add the bonus on the weapons tab. The calculation of the roll when rolling it is correct, but it would be nice to see it on the weapons page as well.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jorrit I. said: I noticed this when I was playing with the sheet, but setting an attack bonus in the core stats does not add the bonus on the weapons tab. The calculation of the roll when rolling it is correct, but it would be nice to see it on the weapons page as well. I could re-show the global settings there. Same with spells.. I'll add it to my todo.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
30th April 2015 Prevented weapons from erroring if the crit damage field did not have a value. Made targetAC work on Actions and Spells Spells can be removed again Spells no longer have a (dis)advantage toggle. All attacks roll the second die. Cleaned up how Actions send data to the roll templates Cleaned up spellbook to show "-" when a class doesn't have cantrips, spells known, or spells prepared Cleaned up roll templates
Mark said: Differences between this version and the current version: PCs remain mostly the same. Things that have changed: Armor Vision Spell Prepared, Ritual, Concentration Class specific Expertise Jack of All Trades NPCs lose most everything, but the old NPC sheet is still included and you can use conversion/import scripts. That should give you the info you need. :) I am still a bit green but picking up speed. Could you expand on teh part about "conversion/import scripts" (I know what they are but how would I find and implement one for my current NPC's. Also just to cover my bases. Macros and API scripts should not be effected?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My scipts: [Script] D&D 5e Shaped NPC Importer & Converter It has 2 scripts that you'd care about: Convert from default 5e sheet NPCs to Shaped NPCs Import NPCs from the monster manual API scripts that are based on the default sheet will not work, but the only one I know of is the default 5e importer. Macros should be the same.

Edited 1430505779
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
1st May 2015 Attacks: First revision of new weapons has been completed. Show Bonuses / Penalties on the weapon and spell page as well. I'd love some feedback on the attacks. Pictured below is the most complicated possibility and the least complicated. I allow attack stat and dmg stat to be (Finesse/Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha) for 2 reasons: Some people may houserule some rules with some weapons being a mix. Technical limitations do not let me change which stat to use based on the "type" selected. The "type" is actually just the word that I output in the roll template. One option to consider is to get rid of "Crit Dmg" and instead include the normal damage dice on a crit and add a "Crit extra dmg" for things like half-orc. 1 main issue: We lose the functionality of the global modifiers to melee/ranged. It'd have to be reduced to modify both melee and ranged. I wish I could avoid that, but I don't think it's possible w/o another select box (could be an option). Another option is to split melee/ranged like before.
Whereas I liked some of the last change, a good deal of my work was wiped out on it. In the NPC section this change completely obliterated all the actions I had set up for NPCs and monsters. Looking at the old section and around in the HTML source I don't see it anywhere. I can't imagine this was intended and if the data is still there somewhere please point me in the correct direction. If stuff like this is going to be the norm I can't afford to use this sheet, as much as my players and I like it, I just simply don't have the time to rebuild.
I'm confused? When did secondary damage include the damage bonus? I assumed it was just extra damage and not a flat bonus? Currently I had been just putting "Slashing [[1d6]]Fire" in the type box in your previous sheet. I never included bonus damage. Flaming weapon is already a strong boost in damage. Pretty sure there is no stat bonus.

Edited 1430515961
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kirk L. said: Whereas I liked some of the last change, a good deal of my work was wiped out on it. In the NPC section this change completely obliterated all the actions I had set up for NPCs and monsters. Looking at the old section and around in the HTML source I don't see it anywhere. I can't imagine this was intended and if the data is still there somewhere please point me in the correct direction. If stuff like this is going to be the norm I can't afford to use this sheet, as much as my players and I like it, I just simply don't have the time to rebuild. Kirk, my apologies for the massive inconvenience. If you scroll up a few posts you will see that I severely underestimated the amount of people that were using the sheet. I did not think a breaking change was as big of a deal as it was as seemingly only a few were using the NPC sheet. That was incorrect. I explain how I plan to handle it in the future up above. Please read the posts above, but really you can also look at NPC_Action Syntax to repeating Syntax converter script released . It should convert easily for you with minimal work. Again, my apologies.

Edited 1430516397
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: I'm confused? When did secondary damage include the damage bonus? I assumed it was just extra damage and not a flat bonus? Currently I had been just putting "Slashing [[1d6]]Fire" in the type box in your previous sheet. I never included bonus damage. Flaming weapon is already a strong boost in damage. Pretty sure there is no stat bonus. I assume you are referring to "1d6+3" that I put in the secondary box above? I just typed random numbers - not the real thing. Looking at it now I notice that secondary damage does not calculate the +3 which is not the case on the "Actions" tab. The code is basically the same.. hmmm... I'll look into that.
Hi. I have an issue.. I dont know if the problem is from my side or not, but the attack and damage roll is not working at all. I have tried all the other rolls and all works perfectly, but the attack macro doesnt work (from the sheet) and always give me this error log: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Is there any way to fix this. Im just asking because, even if we can use the normal imput for attacks, I think it will be great if all works as before (some time ago it was working perfectly, now it just doesnt work at all) I hope you can help me. Bardo.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mithdraug G. said: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Please try searching the text of the thread first. It was there 2 days ago. Enter a value into the "Crit Dmg" field and your problems will be solved. It has been an issue since the beginning on both my sheet and the default 5e sheet. I put in a fix for this, but it'll take some time to get live.

Edited 1430525457
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Version 2 of weapons revamp Changes from above: It's back under "Weapons" Split out melee, thrown, and ranged (will duplicate them when I'm all done testing) As a result no more "type" select. Melee doesn't have range and ranged doesn't have reach. Thrown has both. Crit damage is automatically calculated based on what is in the "Dmg Dice" and "2nd Dmg Dice" field. Both fields have a bonus field that is shown if you click "Bonuses" This will allow us to still have to global bonuses for melee/ranged. I'll have to add another for thrown. Please let me know if you have any feedback.
Half-orcs get an extra damage die on crits, which is why the crit damage was previously editable.
Also noticed today that an unarmored barbarian with a shield isn't calculating the shield bonus to AC, it was working on the original 5e sheet ok. something to check on.

Edited 1430559822
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ed S. said: Half-orcs get an extra damage die on crits, which is why the crit damage was previously editable. That's why the bonus crit dmg field is up there. :) Greg B. said: Also noticed today that an unarmored barbarian with a shield isn't calculating the shield bonus to AC, it was working on the original 5e sheet ok. something to check on. Hmmm I'm surprised that it previously worked automatically or changed now. Did it previously worked on unarmored ac? I assume maybe the shield had to be marked as working while unarmored? I can test. EDIT: It looks like it works exactly the same on both sheets. I have 14 dex, 12 con. Set armor to barbarian. Unarmored becomes 13. Add shield with 2 ac and mark it as unarmored. Unarmored ac becomes 15. Shaped's overall AC is then 15. Please let me know if you're setting something different.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Day Walker said: I'm still having trouble removing spells, as are my players. When I click modify no button or anything else appears. This thread outlines the problem you're experiencing several times. That is it takes roll20 usually a week or more to make my changes live. Your only option to get them quicker is to be a mentor and use a custom sheet based on my html/css.
Weapon Line 4 is broken. You missed a ] I marked it for you to make it easier. Line 7948 &lt;div class="sheet-col-1-24 sheet-pad-r-sm"&gt;&lt;input type="number" name="attr_meleedmgbonus4" value="[[@{meleeattackstat4} * @{meleeattackstatdmg4}( Here) ] + @{meleemagic4}" disabled="disabled"&gt;&lt;/div&gt;
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: Weapon Line 4 is broken. You missed a ] I marked it for you to make it easier. Line 7948 &lt;div class="sheet-col-1-24 sheet-pad-r-sm"&gt;&lt;input type="number" name="attr_meleedmgbonus4" value="[[@{meleeattackstat4} * @{meleeattackstatdmg4}( Here) ] + @{meleemagic4}" disabled="disabled"&gt;&lt;/div&gt; Fixed. It's not live yet so only affects people with the custom sheet who can update. Nice.
Mark said: Ed S. said: Half-orcs get an extra damage die on crits, which is why the crit damage was previously editable. That's why the bonus crit dmg field is up there. :) Greg B. said: Also noticed today that an unarmored barbarian with a shield isn't calculating the shield bonus to AC, it was working on the original 5e sheet ok. something to check on. Hmmm I'm surprised that it previously worked automatically or changed now. Did it previously worked on unarmored ac? I assume maybe the shield had to be marked as working while unarmored? I can test. EDIT: It looks like it works exactly the same on both sheets. I have 14 dex, 12 con. Set armor to barbarian. Unarmored becomes 13. Add shield with 2 ac and mark it as unarmored. Unarmored ac becomes 15. Shaped's overall AC is then 15. Please let me know if you're setting something different. That is what I used, but It didn't change the sheet. I will test some more. Not at home at the moment, but will check later.
Are the character sheet buttons supposed to work with a target select. To clarify if a player selects an NPC as thier target and then clicks an attack button on the shaped sheet is the output supposed to reference the target Ac? If yes then I am having an issue If no can someone point me in the direction fro info on getting a macro to do it.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you wish to target the AC of enemies you must change "Show Target's AC on Attacks" in the settings tab of your PC. Change it to "Yes" and when you click a weapon macro it will ask you to target a NPC. I actually cannot make this work for spells without causing a breaking change for old users. I took it out just now for spells.
Tbh my only suggestion is to change repeatting fields on spells to just a flat number of predefined set. Eg 30 lvl 1 spells. 30 lvl 2s etc. So they can be referenced in a macro
@mark, first off thank you for the sheet. i have a question about the roll template for it. i am looking at the html and see the target, reach, range sections in what appears to be a subheader. i have tried making a custom macro that uses the {{target=X}} but it does not show up. i read above that at one point this was disabled and i thought i read had been re-enabled or something, there was a lot to read and not all of it was relevant so there was some skimming. did i miss something? if i could be enlightened on how to use this tag (if that is the right word for it).

Edited 1430684712
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: Tbh my only suggestion is to change repeatting fields on spells to just a flat number of predefined set. Eg 30 lvl 1 spells. 30 lvl 2s etc. So they can be referenced in a macro I can't as it would cause breaking changes for everyone. I've already got yelled at for this. :P I would love to make many improvements to the sheet, but the way it was setup in some areas I can't touch them. Luckily for Actions I set it up in a way that I can make small adjustements. Elsewhere it's a bit more limiting. At some point in the future I'll likely make a second version of the sheet (likely when repeating is accessible). But until then my hands are tied. b33f3r said: @mark, first off thank you for the sheet. i have a question about the roll template for it. i am looking at the html and see the target, reach, range sections in what appears to be a subheader. i have tried making a custom macro that uses the {{target=X}} but it does not show up. i read above that at one point this was disabled and i thought i read had been re-enabled or something, there was a lot to read and not all of it was relevant so there was some skimming. did i miss something? if i could be enlightened on how to use this tag (if that is the right word for it). The target AC for spells was disabled as it causes a breaking change. The {{target}} parameter should work. Are you using the latest code(though I think it's in the live version as well). Does {{reach}} work? How about {{range}}? Can you post your macro?
&{template:5eDefault} {{spell=1}} {{title=Sacred Flame}} {{target=silly}} {{reach=absurd}} {{range=all of it}} i was just testing to try and get this to work. i do not know what it should look like but main_content comes up empty