Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[New] D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Edited 1431180309
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi, I've created a new D&D 5e sheet. To differentiate it from the current sheet I'll be referring to it as the " Shaped D&D 5e" sheet. Notable changes from the current 5e sheet: Core page has been revamped based on the design of the official paper sheet . The core sheet is meant to present the information in a more concise, redable way so that users can find information quickly. I'm not fully satisfied with everything (The initiative box is funky, skills are too tall, etc), but it leaves plenty of room to expand if anyone has suggestions for things to put in the holes. Optional Settings tab has been added. Custom Classes NPC Actions have been added Spellbook can be sorted by "Prepared", "Ritual", or Concentration. Many many more Release You can select the sheet as an option under campaign settings. If you are a Mentor you can import the latest HTML/CSS into your campaign. NPC Inport/Conversion Please see my script thread: [Script] D&D 5e Shaped NPC Importer & Converter Future Changes: Custom settings: I'm willing to add custom options/variants as long as they are technically feasible and can be hidden away without effecting users who do not want it. Requests and issues As mentioned above please include the "Shaped" term when posting about this sheet. I will do my best to respond to posts here. You can also open issues on github or contact me by PM, Twitter (@mlenser), gchat, or skype. If you have ideas/suggestions or want to work together I'm quite open. Differences between this version and the current version: PCs remain mostly the same. Things that have changed: Armor Vision Spell Prepared, Ritual, Concentration Class specific Expertise Jack of All Trades (retoggle it in 1 place) NPCs lose most everything, but the old NPC sheet is still included and you can use conversion/import scripts. Reason for a new sheet: I was looking to add some custom options to the sheet (Whispering Death Saves to the GM), but it did not work out with the current developer. As a result I decided to create my own sheet. As a result I examined how the sheet is currently a bit hard to get information at a glance so I decided to redesign it as listed above. Download or select it from the list of options
Spren
Sheet Author
Very nice! As long as this retains the basic functionality of the main sheet I'll definitely swap over to this once it is approved.

Edited 1427059618
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ya, it'd be nice to have to merged to be officially selectable. There are separate versions for PF and other games systems so I expect it to not be a problem. I'll post here again when/if it is merged to be official. It will maintain any functionality on the core sheet and expand upon it. Mar 21st Update: Ranged Weapons now have Ranges NPC sheet is being depreciated. All of the items are put into the main sheet besides the attacks as of 22nd March version. For instance some items in the top header info switch, the AC field is editable, and the different forms of movement are shown for NPCs. I plan to disable Background, Class, Weapons, Armor, and Inventory for the NPC sheet. I'll make a NPC version of the Weapons tab for "standard attacks" which is a mix of standardized attacks and open ended attacks. Inventory expanded to 3 pages of 15 for a total of 45 (old was 40) Gray background added Updated the header info area to contain important info. Works for PCs and NPCs Resistances and Immunities are now viewable by PCs
i would use something like this, but the heart shape and armor bubble are a bit oversized for the need. And all that extra space, you could put some weapon roll buttons there that reference the weapons tab?.. Spell slots remaining, and other Common buttons people would hit durring an adventure, to me the front page should be where the clickies are, and the other tabs should be where the detailed info and modifiers are entered/altered.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The shield was smaller, but I needed to add a note for NPC's AC for items such as "Studded Leather". I could make it on hover like Initiative's bonus - that may be an option. It does save ~15-20 pixels of height. I will look into that. The heart could lose about 10 pixels less in height, but it's a very tight squeeze. I'll play around with it. I'm definitely looking to add buttons for common weapons. Spells is kind of self contained. I could see adding the used/max column on the right side unless you had something else in mind?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
23rd March 2015 Resized shield and heart to make them smaller (see above conversation) 22nd March 2015 Merged changes from Actoba. See <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1744887/dnd-5e-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1744887/dnd-5e-</a>... Added back class actions as per above. Fixed alignment on ranged attacks' ranges. AC takes the highest of either the normal AC_Calc or NPC_AC Added Medicine back. Added a setting to determine who the sheet rolls to - public or DM. Applies to both PCs and NPCs.

Edited 1427207994
Mark said: I'm definitely looking to add buttons for common weapons. Spells is kind of self contained. I could see adding the used/max column on the right side unless you had something else in mind? yeah, used ammunition, and used spell slots n what not can just be displayed like they are on the spell page, basicaly, the stuff most people would flip pages for mid combat Edit: if you ahve changed the layout of the Charactersheet, you should update your example picture in the OP. and now that ive had some ZZzz and i am kinda fresh in the mornin... there is two blank spaces under the heart, one on the left and one on the right, perhaps these two locations could display a stat of some kind, a single stat, one that doesnt need a big text box.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'll update the picture soon. I compacted it all, but am still trying to add default "quick weapons". I was hoping to do it by name, but I'll likely just have to add them all manually so it says "melee 1" for instance.
you cant nest it? like %Meleeweaponattack1?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can see my conversation with myself about it here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1750368/roll-a-d" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1750368/roll-a-d</a>... :P Right now I have 2 rows of 3 for melee and ranged weapons. If I'm to add ammo for ranged I'll make them each their own row.

Edited 1427217237
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
24th March 2015 Quick Attacks are added for melee and ranged weapons Merged subheaderright2 issue Updated the image.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't use Actoba's awesome 5e sheet, but from a strictly aesthetic viewpoint, I have to say this looks very cool Mark. Thanks for sharring your efforts.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Shaped Sheet is now selectable from the default options! :) 29th March 2015 Merged Actoba's work 27th March 2015 Attacks can now use target to display the target's AC. It's under the settings.

Edited 1427880887
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
1st April 2015 AC is now for PCs and npc_ac is for NPCs. AC still calculates the highest between armored and unarmored AC. See <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1759669/target-and-ac-on-5e-character-sheet#post-1784957" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1759669/target-and-ac-on-5e-character-sheet#post-1784957</a> for a detailed list of variables that are used. 31st March 2015 NPC sheet now hides all the PC tabs except spellbook and the new "NPC Attacks". The old NPC sheet can be shown via a toggle. Started work on "NPC Attacks" 30th March 2015 Fixed text scrunching on the spellbook
might need a quick look at the sheet on an ipad.. its a little scrunched up... with the heart merging into the AC, Initiative and Speed boxes

Edited 1427910060
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pete M. said: might need a quick look at the sheet on an ipad.. its a little scrunched up... with the heart merging into the AC, Initiative and Speed boxes I thought about that the other day. It's going to be quite problematic as many of the fields are scrunched to be small on desktop so when they scrunch on mobile they're basically too small. Actoba's sheet has the same issues, but his isn't as scrunched by default so it works better. The heart & shield are actually a font so their size doesn't adjust to be responsive like the other elements. I do not own a tablet, but I will see if I can fix these things on desktop using smaller resolutions. EDIT: Loaded it on my phone in widescreen view and it actually looks pretty good! The only problem I see is the heart is a bit higher than normal. Is it possible for you to take a screenshot to show me what you see? EDIT2: Cleaned up Firefox and mobile a bit. The heart is still off. I made a post asking if I can target it better: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1785922/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1785922/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css</a>
Here you go, doesn't seem to matter how I zoom in or out.....
on another note... does 'Core Stats' main view screen not read in all the stuff from an NPC sheet, its all there, but not filled in from the details below it... granted I did create it on the old 5e sheet, then changed it in campaign settings and does not seem to have updated

Edited 1427988570
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pete M. said: Here you go, doesn't seem to matter how I zoom in or out..... Could you include a higher resolution image? It's only 120x120. Though it looks like the same issue I see. I've asked the Devs about it and now just await a response. Still workable. Pete M. said: on another note... does 'Core Stats' main view screen not read in all the stuff from an NPC sheet, its all there, but not filled in from the details below it... granted I did create it on the old 5e sheet, then changed it in campaign settings and does not seem to have updated Yes, many of the npc attributes have changed to match the PC attribute. So the old NPC sheets have all the details predicated by "npc_". I stripped all that out so hp is "hp" for both a NPC and a PC. It will make it easier overall, but it requires a transition. I have ~100 of monsters in my campaign so I plan to write a conversion script for mentors that can be run and it will convert it all. I also plan to ask the guy who wrote the NPC importer script for the normal sheet if he'd make a version for mine. Otherwise I can fork his code. Some things have remained the same: npc_size npc_type npc_challenge npc_AC npc_AC_note npc_HP_hit_dice (note for how many HD) npc_traits Changed items: roll_NPC_Initiative -&gt; roll_Initiative npc_initiative -&gt; initiative npc_initiative_overall -&gt; initiative_overall --Same for the rest of the attributes (dex,con,int,wis,cha)-- npc_strength -&gt; strength roll_NPC_Strength_Save -&gt; roll_Strength_Save npc_strength_mod -&gt; strength_mod npc_strength_save_bonus -&gt; strength_save_bonus npc_strength_save_mod -&gt; strength_save_mod --Same for the rest of the attributes (dex,con,int,wis,cha)-- npc_alignment -&gt; alignment npc_HP -&gt; HP npc_HP_max -&gt; HP_max npc_temp_HP -&gt; temp_HP npc_speed -&gt; speed (lack of hover) -&gt; speed_hover npc_speed_fly -&gt; speed_fly npc_speed_climb -&gt; speed_climb npc_speed_swim -&gt; speed_swim (lack of burrow) -&gt; speed_burrow npc_xp -&gt; xp npc_senses -&gt; vision npc_languages -&gt; prolanguages npc_damage_resistance -&gt; damage_resistance (also works for PC) npc_damage_vulnerability -&gt; damage_vulnerability (also works for PC) npc_damage_immunity -&gt; damage_immunity (also works for PC) npc_condition_immunity -&gt;condition_immunity (also works for PC) --Same for the rest of skills-- roll_NPC_Acrobatics_Check -&gt; roll_Acrobatics_Check npc_acrobatics_bonus -&gt; acrobatics_bonus npc_acrobatics -&gt; acrobatics npc_passive_acrobatics -&gt; passive_acrobatics --Same for the rest of skills-- roll_NPC_Basic_Strength_Check -&gt; roll_Basic_Strength_Check npc_basic_strength_bonus -&gt; basic_strength_bonus npc_basic_strength_check_mod -&gt; basic_strength_check_mod Ones I missed while going through this list: npc_strength_save_bonus -&gt; Need to re-add added Unused so far: roll_NPC_Traits roll_NPC_Core_Stats All the changed items are now the same on PC sheets and NPC sheets. I'll need to re-add save bonuses and fit it into the UI somehow - likely hide the proficiency area. Hope that helps! :)
It is worth noting that changes in the fields make the two different sheets largely incompatible, because those that create characters or transfer characters in via the vault may run into challenges. This is obvious to people who are reasonably technical, but it should be worth noting that it is important that people know what sheet is used in various campaigns and that the 2 sheets are not compatible.

Edited 1427985633
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've added the save bonus for NPCs and much more. Will post a changelog later. Kevin said: It is worth noting that changes in the fields make the two different sheets largely incompatible, because those that create characters or transfer characters in via the vault may run into challenges. This is obvious to people who are reasonably technical, but it should be worth noting that it is important that people know what sheet is used in various campaigns and that the 2 sheets are not compatible. If you have any suggestion of how to note this somewhere I'm more than happy to. For PCs everything except armor is the same except new features. For NPCs it's obviously quite different due to reasons stated above. I wish I could make their undefined state set to the old versions, but only JS can do that - which is why I'll write that script soon.
Maybe add a note to the readme and/or first topic of this thread. I would guess since there are now two sheets officially shown in the repository it might be a good idea for Actoba to note the same in his readme as well.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Added a note about it in the readme and on this post. 2nd April 2015 Fix initiative/ac row breaking line Prevent jumping on new death saves and other small adjustments Added save bonus to NPCs Moved AC note down for NPC sheets Fixed which pages are shown on "Show All" New Parenthesis for skills Style resistances better Style other textareas to match Used -&gt; Current to have consistency across the board. 4/5 slots instead of 4/5 slots used. It is more consistent with HP and makes sense. 1st April 2015 Cleaned up the sheet so it works better on firefox and iPad. The heart still needs to be fixed on iPad. see <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1788374/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1788374/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css</a> Added "Skin" to determine skin color. Reduced the size of the shield Redid the buttons for Inspiration and Death saves Added Exhaustion Added number spinners to hp, hd, exhaustion
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For DMs with many monsters setup to work with the default sheet: I have created a script to convert them from the old system to the new. Please see my script thread: [Script] D&D 5e Shaped NPC Converter Any questions about the script belong in that thread.
Thanks Mark
Thanks Mark
I won't deny. This character sheet is alot easier on the eyes for me than Actoba's one. It is of course a work in progress and still needs a NPC section. To be honest I kinda wish this was merged into one sheet and not two different ones since I see a constantly stream of support for two different sheets. You have clearly put in the effort to reformat the sheet to be more information ready at a glance. I really do like it and I hope to use it in future when you have a NPC function and a NPC importer to go with it. Which currently are deal breakers right now for me.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: I won't deny. This character sheet is alot easier on the eyes for me than Actoba's one. It is of course a work in progress and still needs a NPC section. To be honest I kinda wish this was merged into one sheet and not two different ones since I see a constantly stream of support for two different sheets. You have clearly put in the effort to reformat the sheet to be more information ready at a glance. I really do like it and I hope to use it in future when you have a NPC function and a NPC importer to go with it. Which currently are deal breakers right now for me. That was my original wish as well. To clarify: the npc section is done. What is missing is the npc attacks section. One could use the old npcactions along with the new sheet for now. Though I understand waiting for a full attack page and a finished importer. I'm planning on having both done this weekend.

Edited 1428063094
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Progress on NPC Attacks: Those are based on the Ochre Jelly's Pseudopod and the Gelatinous Cube' Engulf. It's still a work in progress. Things to do: Figure out how to handle multiattack (I may just list it in a whisper like Actoba did). Add a second Crit Dmg for 2nd dmg Done Hide crit if "Can Crit?" isn't checked Done Make the rolls work Any suggestions or monsters where this sysem may not work?
I am an individual that rolls "behind the screen" so my first comment is what is the difference between effects and hidden information? Also is there a way to have it roll everything to the GM only? Other comments: It might be interesting to allow for flavor text/emotes associated with the attacks. One concern that comes to mind is that it looks incredibly challenging to use a statblock parsing script to import all of the relevant information. The statblock parsing script honestly save so much time, so the more time I would have to spend adjusting/tinkering with getting things properly setup, the less likely I would gain benefit from such a configurable and complex design. Is there a reason that damage dice and damage bonus are separated? Unless you are building custom creatures with at least 3 fighter levels, is Crit Range on NPC attacks relevant (again useful, but seems highly situational). While I enjoy seeing what amazing creations the innovative people on the forums come up with, simplicity and function generally reign when it comes down to it (for me personally). The reasoning behind my perspective: anything that causes me to spend more time in the "technical" aspects of setup pull me away from the storytelling and adventure design. All in all it is very interesting, however I am most interested in how it all comes together with the parser that you intend to use.

Edited 1428069542
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kevin said: I am an individual that rolls "behind the screen" so my first comment is what is the difference between effects and hidden information? Also is there a way to have it roll everything to the GM only? Yes - All sheets, including the NPC sheet, have the option of how to output as it exists on Actoba's NPC sheet. All rolls can be shown to all or whispered to the GM. This is under the settings tab. The "hidden information" will override this setting for things such as I have written there: DCs to break out and similar items. Full text of the example: "An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the cube." Kevin said: Other comments: It might be interesting to allow for flavor text/emotes associated with the attacks. One concern that comes to mind is that it looks incredibly challenging to use a statblock parsing script to import all of the relevant information. The statblock parsing script honestly save so much time, so the more time I would have to spend adjusting/tinkering with getting things properly setup, the less likely I would gain benefit from such a configurable and complex design. Is there a reason that damage dice and damage bonus are separated? Unless you are building custom creatures with at least 3 fighter levels, is Crit Range on NPC attacks relevant (again useful, but seems highly situational). While I enjoy seeing what amazing creations the innovative people on the forums come up with, simplicity and function generally reign when it comes down to it (for me personally). The reasoning behind my perspective: anything that causes me to spend more time in the "technical" aspects of setup pull me away from the storytelling and adventure design. Flavor/emotes: Description is that field. I have renamed it to "Emote" to make it more clear. Statblock parsing: I will be forking Jean-Francois' statblock import and making it work for this setup. That is the next step after I finish this - likely within this weekend. Damage Dice & Damage Bonus separation: Same reason they're separate on the weapons tab which was because Actoba used to use the weapon Damage Dice also for the crit. He then added another field for Crit Damage. Likely I can combine "Dmg Dice" and "Dmg Bonus", but I'd like to be sure there was no other reason for it before I do. Crit Range is, as you say, highly situational. I do not want to remove any of the nice functionality from the weapons page. It will rarely be used, but it's a nice option for DMs who want it. I can make it hidden unless a checkbox toggle is checked. Simplicity vs Complex: I can't really make it much more simple while working with all monsters. If you take a look around at the monsters in the monster manual there is a decently wide pattern. I have tried to contain the complexity by using the Spellbook's layout of hiding blocks of un-needed information. If you have any suggestions of how I can make it less complex please do share them. EDIT: I have renamed "Description" to "Emote". I have also combined "Dmg Dice" and "Dmg Bonus". It shouldn't cause any problems.
Mark said: Progress on NPC Attacks: Those are based on the Ochre Jelly's Pseudopod and the Gelatinous Cube' Engulf. It's still a work in progress. Things to do: Figure out how to handle multiattack (I may just list it in a whisper like Actoba did). Add a second Crit Dmg for 2nd dmg Done Hide crit if "Can Crit?" isn't checked Done Make the rolls work Any suggestions or monsters where this sysem may not work? Looking good. I personally never handle multi-attacks as a whole roll but just run the macro twice since its just a easy fix via rerolling the amount of multi attacks you need. As for the detailed-ness of the NPC stuff. Advantage/disadvantage roll seems frustrating. IMO NPCs do not need as much detail into them and should require as little data entry when possible. Having to open sheets, check boxes etc. Seems a extra step not needed. As for the spellbook like abilities. I also feel this is maybe a step too far if it does not import properly it may be a frustration to deal with.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: Looking good. I personally never handle multi-attacks as a whole roll but just run the macro twice since its just a easy fix via rerolling the amount of multi attacks you need. As for the detailed-ness of the NPC stuff. Advantage/disadvantage roll seems frustrating. IMO NPCs do not need as much detail into them and should require as little data entry when possible. Having to open sheets, check boxes etc. Seems a extra step not needed. As for the spellbook like abilities. I also feel this is maybe a step too far if it does not import properly it may be a frustration to deal with. I will handle multi-attacks in the same way as before, ya. Advantage/disadvantage: I agree that having it configurable doesn't make sense. I'm not even sure why it's an option on the spellbook (which is where it is from), but I've removed the option and always assumed rolling twice. Detailed: NPC attacks are varied. If all monsters just did an attack and damage then it wouldn't be an issue, but that's not the case. This is why the default sheet was very open ended with NPC attacks. Should I only support ~50-70% of the monsters? That seems silly. Which is why it has to have expandable complexity. If it showed everything at once people would be overwhelmed (understadably). Allowing users to check boxes lets them to define exactly how the roll works. Again, I'm very open to suggestions here. I'm currently working to reduce the complexity as we speak.

Edited 1428088574
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Progress Pics: Simplest Version: Simple Version (With Crits): Complex Version (With everything): Bugs I'm aware of: There is actually a toggle to show/hide target/reach/range. I just forgot to put it back in and need to make some food. I'll re-add it later. It was still there. It's called "Details" Reach/Range should ideally show based on the attack type, but that may not be possible. Attack type needs "Thrown" added Attacks always add the global bonus to melee attack/damage. I will try to alter this so that it can change based on melee/range, but that may not be possible and I may have to remove that support or figure something else out. Please let me know if you have any feedback. If anyone wants to bug test it I have committed it to my github .
Just wanted to let you know that I'm watching this with great interest. Once the statblock importer and NPC actions etc are fleshed out, I will definitely be switching to this. Keep up the good work!

Edited 1428091521
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Progress v3: Simple: Complex: I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I wish I could vertically align the textareas (target, save success) middle, but that's not possible with css. I'm going to look into Melee/Ranged/Thrown briefly to see if I can use it's value for anything, but I'm pretty sure I cannot. And then the duplication begins. If you guys are interested in this project I'd highly recommend putting some upvotes on Official support for repeating sections in character sheets . It would make this process SO much easier in the future.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Thanks for the link, Mark. I actually just recommended someone up vote this same suggestion, but didn't have the link... :)

Edited 1428147818
Under background the section titled "Appearance, Vision, Language and Alignment", doesn't have an alignment, language or vision box. Alignment, language and vision are all pageless in the main header. Also I think "Background..." could be simplified to Background and Race, bonds and ideals are part of Background Edit: The one at the top of the class page could be changed, and "Any other notes" should IMO be changed to Background Notes so that it makes sense on the show all page.

Edited 1428169700
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
RMcD said: Under background the section titled "Appearance, Vision, Language and Alignment", doesn't have an alignment, language or vision box. Alignment, language and vision are all pageless in the main header. Also I think "Background..." could be simplified to Background and Race, bonds and ideals are part of Background Thanks for spotting my left overs! I've added "Background" to the header for PCs. I've renamed stuff: "Appearance" "Background and Race Info" "Class Levels and Resources" "Class Features and Feats" "Miscellaneous Notes" (I believe this is left there for anything, not necessarily background) Let me know if you have different suggestions for those words. I've split "senses" up for NPCs based on a PM'd suggestion. I'll post a changelog of the rest of the things soon (going out furniture shopping).
First of all, awesome work. It looks better than the current version already. I saw your post on Reddit, and I'm glad I've stumbled upon your sheet. That said, I figured I'd share some impressions/requests. I'm not sure how much of this you're able to change. Some of this stuff would apply to the other 5e sheet, but I figured I'd let you know anyway. 1. The Core Stats sheet looks so awesome. The other sheets have these ugly black bars. Possible to improve? 2. The attribute boxes show a large modifier number and a small total number. I know the physical character sheet has it this way, and you're trying to model yours off the physical sheet, but this has always seemed backwards. It would be nice to have a large total number and a small modifier. Or equal sizes. 3. The skills section is organized alphabetically. On the official alternative sheet, it is organized under each stat (ex. Athletics and Str Save next to the Strength attribute). Is it possible to have the option to organize this way (maybe a check box)? 4. The passive skill checks column is unlabeled. Also, when I try to enter the custom modifier to the skills, I cannot see or modify the value unless I'm mousing over it, even after I've clicked it. It should remain visible once I click it, even if I'm not mousing over it. 5. The heart shape for Hit Points feels out of place. While much of the sheet is very elegant, the heart shape clashes with the rectangular shapes elsewhere. Also, it leaves excessive blank space around it. 6. The entry boxes for current hit points and max hit points do not have enough room for 3 digit numbers. The numbers get cut off. 7. The font for the Hit Die class names is too small, and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase the size. 8. There is a large amount of blank space between the Skills box and the Bonus/Penalties box. Could something go here? 9. I can't add levels for any custom classes. 10. I use the spell points system (alternative presented in the DMG), but there is no support for it on your sheet. It would be nice to have a box for spell points (possibly with an option to show it on the main page of the character sheet).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
v4 of NPC attacks: You'll see the new header info that I was discussing above. It has all the senses split out and the spacing keeps similar items in the same position for both NPC and PC sheets. You'll also notice Regional Effects, Lair Actions, Legendary Actions, and Reactions. I will change Lair Actions into actual actions (3 of them), but I'm done coding for the night. On the attacks themselves you can see "multiattack" has been added as well as "Recharge". Full Changelog: 4th April 2015 Quick attacks' range bug fixed NPC Attacks Duplicated out to 2 until I add action types "Hidden Info" not possible as you can't send 2 rolls with 1 roll. see <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1793729/show-ce" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1793729/show-ce</a>... Added Passive Perception to the header info Split out senses to multiple fields in the header info Added Background to the header info for PCs Redid alignment the 2nd row of header info items with the addition of the new items. Set Proficiency for monsters (See MM 8) Removed save bonus to NPCs as they should simply use Proficiency. They should use Expertise if needed for skills Renamed some titles of sections such as "Appearance" "Background and Race Info" "Class Levels and Resources" "Class Features and Feats" "Miscellaneous Notes" Added "Recharge" to the NPC attacks Added Lair Actions, Legendary Actions, and Reactions (need to turn Lair Actions into actual attacks) 3rd April 2015 Added a testable version of NPC Attacks

Edited 1428185998
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jessic G. said: First of all, awesome work. It looks better than the current version already. I saw your post on Reddit, and I'm glad I've stumbled upon your sheet. That said, I figured I'd share some impressions/requests. I'm not sure how much of this you're able to change. Some of this stuff would apply to the other 5e sheet, but I figured I'd let you know anyway. 1. The Core Stats sheet looks so awesome. The other sheets have these ugly black bars. Possible to improve? 2. The attribute boxes show a large modifier number and a small total number. I know the physical character sheet has it this way, and you're trying to model yours off the physical sheet, but this has always seemed backwards. It would be nice to have a large total number and a small modifier. Or equal sizes. 3. The skills section is organized alphabetically. On the official alternative sheet, it is organized under each stat (ex. Athletics and Str Save next to the Strength attribute). Is it possible to have the option to organize this way (maybe a check box)? 4. The passive skill checks column is unlabeled. Also, when I try to enter the custom modifier to the skills, I cannot see or modify the value unless I'm mousing over it, even after I've clicked it. It should remain visible once I click it, even if I'm not mousing over it. 5. The heart shape for Hit Points feels out of place. While much of the sheet is very elegant, the heart shape clashes with the rectangular shapes elsewhere. Also, it leaves excessive blank space around it. 6. The entry boxes for current hit points and max hit points do not have enough room for 3 digit numbers. The numbers get cut off. 7. The font for the Hit Die class names is too small, and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase the size. 8. There is a large amount of blank space between the Skills box and the Bonus/Penalties box. Could something go here? 9. I can't add levels for any custom classes. 10. I use the spell points system (alternative presented in the DMG), but there is no support for it on your sheet. It would be nice to have a box for spell points (possibly with an option to show it on the main page of the character sheet). Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like the look of the sheet! I'm able to change quite a lot and am very open to suggestions and have worked with a few people already (most in this thread). Please do keep the feedback coming! To address all the items: Thanks! The core sheet was my first main focus. I have only made minor adjustments to other sheets to meet the design of the sheet overall. I will focus on them after I finish NPC attacks. Though if you have any suggestions and I want to do them now I may squeeze them in before that's done. Regarding black bars: They haven't struck me as looking terrible. They're a good way to break up the page and make it clear what the title of the page is. Without the the "Show All" page is harder to discern. Do you have any suggestions? The actual score is of very little importance. Why should it be bigger? I'm inclined to agree with the designed of the physical sheet that the modifiers are more important therefore they should be more prominent. Unless there is a reason the scores should be higher? The alternative option has it organized differently, ya. I considered it, but it feels harder to use overall - especially for new players. It makes things like saves a lot better positioned, but makes positioning "jack of all trades" harder. I wish I could offer the alternative sheet as a setting, but I'd likely have to duplicate the Core Sheet's code to do so and then make it a toggle on the settings page. I'll write it down on my TODO, but it's a LOT of work. Unlabeled? Ya, the whole skills section is unlabeled. It's meant to be fairly intuitive that the blue box is passive (same on the default sheet). I could alternatively add a header with labels for each column, but this way looks cleaner imo. Hidden bonuses: I chose to have these show on mouseover to prevent too much bloating on the skills' rows. I'll likely have to show them always to support tablet devices as they have no hover state. The same is true for Strength/Dex/etc Checks. Initiative's bonus would also have to find a position. Due to not having Javascript I cannot make these fields stay if there is any info put into the bonus input. The Heart is the core of the sheet. It is literally in the center and the rest of the page wraps around it. Compactness isn't always the best choice - clarity is. It's quite easy to determine what that area is for. Most everyone I've talked to actually really likes it. I've reduced it to it's current size. if you have suggestions for how I can make it smaller please do share. Bug. Ya... number input spinners are very nice for commonly adjusted items. I just recently added them to some items. I'll likely increase the width of the input instead of removing the bold or the spinner. Added to my TODO Hit dice font size is the same as Ability "Saves" and "Checks". They are meant to be small to save space. The only way I could increase them would be to remove the "Class" column ("Size" for NPCs). But then they wouldn't match with Ability "Saves" and "Checks". I assume you're talking about the blank area on the bottom-right side of the core sheet? Ya there is room to add additional features. If you have any to suggest please do. The NPC sheets will have "Quick Attacks" as well. Not sure if spell items belong on the Core sheet as not all classes have them (would have to make it sometimes show) and we can only really show spell slots - no quick access to spells as they are in a repeatable. Custom classes were not supported on the default sheet. It is something that should be added. I'll add it to my TODO. Same as #9. Spell Points were not supported on the default sheet. I've only week working on this sheet since March 19th so these new features will have to come with time. Added it to my TODO. I hope that has been insightful. Sorry if it comes off as dismissive - it's not intended. EDIT: the alternative sheet layout would be easier than I initially thought. I would just have to add some conditional classes and duplicate the left half of the screen. I'm very curious to see how it'd look It'll have to wait until the core functionality items are done though. Then I could look into a large cosmetic change like this.
Thanks for taking the time to respond - helped me know what can/can't/won't be changed. I love seeing involved authors/creators. 1. The black bars appear... antiquated.. and boring. Reminds me of 3e. Maybe an alternative graphic? Another color (maybe dark blue)? Square instead of rounded edges? 2. I can understand the choice to keep the modifiers larger. It's mostly a personal choice, though it would be nice to see the total value above or to the left of the modifier rather than below, as it currently appears the total value is drawn from the modifier (since you read from top to bottom). 3. I look forward to see what/if you do as an alternative option. 4. Your suggestion of having the skill modifiers only visible if there's a value would be perfect. A shame it can't be done. 5. I see the appeal of the heart. However, it does put the most focus on temporary hit points. Much of the time, a player won't even have temporary hit points. Current hit points would be best as the focus. I'm not sure if it would look, though, with temp in the upper left and current in the middle. Maybe increase the size of the current hit points (while keeping temp and max small). Also, the values for current and max hit points are off-center (probably due to the up/down arrows next to them). Unsure if that's intended, or if you want to change it. 6. Good fix for the bug. 7. I too feel the class names aren't necessary here, but it would make it quite small without the class column. Maybe you could shorten some of the class names (Clr for Cleric, Wlk for Warlock, etc), but full names where space allows. Not needed, but the font is hard to read as is. 8. Yes, that blank area. It would be nice to move the lowest things on the sheet (skills and bonuses/penalties) up so there is less scrolling needed. Maybe you could remove the custom skills, but provide a button to add/reveal them. Maybe you could do the same thing with quick attacks. Maybe bonuses/penalties could be make 2 columns wide, but shorter. Spell slots (and, if you get around to it, spell points) could go on the front page. It's very important for many classes. 9. I look forward to custom classes. 10. Spell points will be nice. 11. I just noticed: Under Class, you have a section for Class and Racial Notes. However there is no Racial Notes in any of the subsections. Minor issue, but figured I'd let you know.

Edited 1428265234
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Jessic: I've added support for custom classes. The HD does not add their levels to the total for that HD line as I don't think there is a way I can do that.. I'm hoping to figure it out so I'm adding it to my TODO. Likely that means this isn't usable yet though.. :( EDIT: 2+ hours later I have solved it with some crazy math to add the total level to the selected hit dice column. You'll also see I got rid of the rounded corners on the black bars and gray headers. 11. I just noticed: Under Class, you have a section for Class and Racial Notes. However there is no Racial Notes in any of the subsections. Minor issue, but figured I'd let you know. I do not see this. Where are you seeing it?

Edited 1428241910
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
5th April 2015 Added Custom Classes Fixed custom classes to add their level to the hit dice pool for the appropriately selected hit dice Added Real Lair Actions (3) Added Real Legendary Actions (3) Added more NPC Attacks (total 11) Unique monster information provided by Jessic on Reddit . 3 Lair actions was the maximum any creature had. Legendary actions were sometimes references to other actions and sometimes actions. Therefore I've added 3 spots for actions (the maximum found) and notes to write down the costs and references to other actions Total attacks was the most with the beholder/death dealer. 10 rays + bite. The Negative Energy Cone isn't really an action worth putting in this system - it's just an emote. End result: I will now start work on the importer. Please let me know if you encounter any bugs

Edited 1428353549
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
6th April 2015 Wrote import script Fixed NPC attacks to work even if the values are blank The core functionality of the import script is done. It handles all stats, senses, speeds, etc. The convert needs to be updated for senses and speeds. The attacks are quite complicated as expected. I've made some good progress, but need to stop for now. If anyone wants to play around with it see <a href="https://github.com/mlenser/roll20/blob/master/scri" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/mlenser/roll20/blob/master/scri</a>... It only works on attacks and saves so far. This is the example block that I've been working with: Fencer Medium beast, neutral Armor Class 8 (armor scraps) Hit Points 13 (2d8 + 4) Speed 30ft., burrow 20 ft., climb 80ft, fly 40ft. (hover), swim 150ft STR 10 (+0) DEX 14 (+2) CON 15 (+2) INT 6 (-2) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 5 (-3) Damage Resistances radiant Damage Vulnerabilities bludgeoning Damage Immunities poison Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned Senses blindsight 30ft. (blind beyond this radius), darkvision 60ft, tremorsense 20ft., truesight 5ft, passive Perception 9 Languages understands all languages it knew in life but can't speak Challenge 1/4 (50 XP) Actions Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage. Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage. Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) acid damage. Bites. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 0 ft., one creature in the swarm's space. Hit: 5 (2d4) piercing damage, or 2 (1d4) piercing damage if the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer. Snake Bites. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 0 ft., one creature in the swarm's space. Hit: 7 (2d6) piercing damage, or 3 (1d6) piercing damage if the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer. The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 14 (4d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Poisoned Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1 piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 9 Constitution saving throw or take 2 (1d4) poison damage. Swarm & Secondary Damage I need to alter how Secondary damage works on the sheet to handle swarms. I also need to figure out how to print that secondary damage comes from a save (in the case of Poisoned bite). Monster Inconsistencies I also have a large issue floating around of monster inconsistencies. Monsters have static bonuses equal to their proficiency bonus(see MM 8) to saves/skills. For instance an Ancient Black Dragon has his +7 prof added to dex, con, wis, and cha saves and the math works out. It also has prof on stealth and expertise on Perception and the numbers seem to work out. Some monsters, for instance the Lich, do not exactly follow the formula. The lich should have 19 Arcana, but has 18. 19 comes from (7 prof*2 for exp)=14 + 5 int = 19. There seems to be a large list of inconsistencies based on D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual Dissected (WIP) I need to decide how to handle these inconsistencies. For instance Passive Perception is calculated automatically and sometimes that is higher than what is printed in the book. It can be assumed what is printed is likely a math error and take what the sheet calculates, but if there is a desire for straight RAW numbers I'll need to make it a configurable option. Similar issues exist with attack bonuses, damage, skills, range on Longbow for instance.
One thing I noticed about this sheet is that initiative does not play very nice with the tablet version. When a player using a tablet hits initiative, they often do not have a figure selected. Very often they *cannot* select a figure. This causes the entire initiative roll to fail. A fix would be as follows. First, if the character is represented by a token on the field, use that token instead of the currently selected token. (This rule should apply in general, since the DM may roll for an NPC without remembering to select the NPC token.) Second, if no figure is available, just do the roll anyway without trying to add the token into the initiative order.

Edited 1428400183
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael said: One thing I noticed about this sheet is that initiative does not play very nice with the tablet version. When a player using a tablet hits initiative, they often do not have a figure selected. Very often they *cannot* select a figure. This causes the entire initiative roll to fail. A fix would be as follows. First, if the character is represented by a token on the field, use that token instead of the currently selected token. (This rule should apply in general, since the DM may roll for an NPC without remembering to select the NPC token.) Second, if no figure is available, just do the roll anyway without trying to add the token into the initiative order. Overall on tablets: I don't have one so I'm limited to testing on my phone. It works, but isn't great. On selecting a token : I asked about this here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1793418/selectin" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1793418/selectin</a>... It is not possible to interact with the default token so that is out the window. Adding a token to initiative will only work with the selected token which is why selected is there - to force users to have their token selected. Allowing the roll to proceed without a selected token isn't desired on desktop as then the token wouldn't be added to the initiative and it would slow down initiative rolling. Now the roll not working on tablets is obviously a problem. Maybe the best solution is to remove the selected bit in an optional setting if that's possible. Have you experienced any other issues with the tablet usage? I know of a few: initiative bug heart alignment (opened a thread <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1788374/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1788374/targeting-tablet-devices-with-css</a> ). hover states for skill/initiative bonus (will likely have to remove these)
Just to let you know Michael that's a problem with the main character sheet and all sheets that want you to select a token to roll initiative (or any roll), also pressing the initiative button in the normal NPC character sheet(non-shaped one) does not add it to the counter: "You attempted to use a roll command looking for the value of a selected token, but no tokens are selected."

Edited 1428451075
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
7th April 2015 Previously hidden items are now shown by default: ability check bonuses, skill bonuses, initiative bonus. Added Save Bonus Renamed "Attacks" to "Actions" for NPC Attacks (now NPC Actions) Added "Alt Dmg" to all NPC Actions to allow for cases like swarms or creatures holding versatile weapons. 6th April 2015 Wrote import script (Still a work in Progress) Fixed NPC attacks to work even if the values are blank (See <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1806911/empty-i" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1806911/empty-i</a>... ) Will work more on the import script. "Alt Dmg" allows me to handle swarms so it should move along.
Hey Mark, I'm glad to see you were able to get some use out of my research (from Reddit). Also, I like the look of the rectangular bars much more. As far as the Racial Notes, we're running different versions of your sheet. Mine is April 2nd, and my 2nd black bar under Class is 'Class and Racial Notes', while you see 'Class Features and Feets' (as seen in your recent posts). I've tried creating a new campaign (while selecting 5e shaped sheet), but it's still on the April 2nd version. Anyway, I was referring to the subsections (grey bars), and how there is nowhere to put racial features (though, I could put them under 'Other Class Abilities, Notes, and Feats'). Regarding maximum Legendary Actions, the Mummy Lord has 5, and it's the most in the Monster Manual. Again, awesome sheet. Thanks for making the effort to make, improve, and maintain it.