Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Questions thread!

Drewcifer said: With regard to the Effect line of the Paladin D15 "Knight's Defiance": Knight's Defiance You demand that your foes meet you in battle, then strike fiercely against one of them. Daily Divine , Weapon Standard Action Close burst 5 Primary Target : Each enemy in the burst Effect : Before the attack, you pull each primary target to a square adjacent to you, and each target is subject to your divine sanction (save ends). Make a melee secondary attack. Secondary Target : One primary target adjacent to you Attack : Charisma vs. AC Hit : 3[W] + Charisma modifier damage. -- My question is: are enemies who are not pulled adjacent for whatever reason still Sanctioned? The two conditions seem independent to me (compared to the wording of Come And Get It, for example). Yes.
Ashley T said: Yes. Hooray! Thanks :D
If I attack an enemy with a power like Horrifying Truth or Pounding Rhythm, and it becomes stunned from a later attack, would Royal Command of Asmodeus turn it into a dominate? For reference: Royal Command of Asmodeus: " Benefit: Whenever you stun an enemy, you can choose to dominate the enemy for the same duration instead of stunning it." Horrifying Truth: " Hit : 4d8 + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is hit by an attack while it is dazed by this power, it becomes stunned instead (save ends)." Pounding Rhythm: " Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier thunder damage. If an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is stunned until the end of its next turn." I'm basically wondering if this would still count as "you" stunning.
Han S. said: If I attack an enemy with a power like Horrifying Truth or Pounding Rhythm, and it becomes stunned from a later attack, would Royal Command of Asmodeus turn it into a dominate? For reference: Royal Command of Asmodeus: " Benefit: Whenever you stun an enemy, you can choose to dominate the enemy for the same duration instead of stunning it." Horrifying Truth: " Hit : 4d8 + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is hit by an attack while it is dazed by this power, it becomes stunned instead (save ends)." Pounding Rhythm: " Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier thunder damage. If an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is stunned until the end of its next turn." I'm basically wondering if this would still count as "you" stunning. Yes.
Are scrolls allowed to be requested to be crafted? (craftable by anyone who has the ritual of course)  If yes, would they be considered a single slot, or, would they be considered a consumable (for the purposes of 1/3 a slot)?    If they are considered a consumable, would it be possible to request the craft of only one scroll of any ritual at a time anyway?
Fuum Q. said: Are scrolls allowed to be requested to be crafted? (craftable by anyone who has the ritual of course)  If yes, would they be considered a single slot, or, would they be considered a consumable (for the purposes of 1/3 a slot)?    If they are considered a consumable, would it be possible to request the craft of only one scroll of any ritual at a time anyway? This question (as well as the legality of purchasing ritual scrolls in the first place) is currently under discussion by the GMs. If you do not hear a response in 24 hours, please feel free to poke us with @GM in Guild Discord.

Edited 1521884294
im trying to make a character sheet on mythweaver but the captcha thing isnt working so i cant sign up. should i just edit a pdf?
Hi jack, I just had issue logging in with my email address, but could log in just with my user name and password. Myth-weavers.com has been going through some troubles the last few days, please be patient and try again in a little bit.
Does the minor ruling on beast form override the restriction of Wild Shape, and therefore allow me to use wondrous item powers (like a Stone)? And/or weapon property/powers? I'm asking because it seemed like the MR was focusing on the shield bit and wasn't sure. _Minor Ruling Beast Form: Houserule: When you take on a beast form, you continue to gain the benefits of your equipment (even shields), _ Wild Shape "You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, but not the properties or the powers of weapons or the powers of wondrous items."
Fuum Q. said: Does the minor ruling on beast form override the restriction of Wild Shape, and therefore allow me to use wondrous item powers (like a Stone)? And/or weapon property/powers? I'm asking because it seemed like the MR was focusing on the shield bit and wasn't sure. It is intended to fix shields and not wondrous items, yes.
Blooper said: Fuum Q. said: Does the minor ruling on beast form override the restriction of Wild Shape, and therefore allow me to use wondrous item powers (like a Stone)? And/or weapon property/powers? I'm asking because it seemed like the MR was focusing on the shield bit and wasn't sure. It is intended to fix shields and not wondrous items, yes. Does this only fix shields, or will it allow either of shielding blade or rhythm blade as well?
Just shields.

Edited 1523953535
How would Power of Amaunator interact with Soulforge Hammering? Since it specifies "all targets hit by the power" rather than by the attack, and the power has an effect that includes additional separate attacks and hits, does this add the +1d10 damage to each extra attack? Power of Amaunator Your radiant powers burn with the fury of the noontime sun. Encounter Divine , Radiant Free Action Personal Channel Divinity : You can use only one channel divinity power per encounter Trigger : You hit an enemy with a power with the radiant keyword Effect : Your power deals an extra 1d10 radiant damage to all targets hit by the power used Soulforge Hammering Like Moradin working the Soulforge, you scorch your enemy with astral fire as you hammer at him relentlessly. Encounter Divine , Fire , Radiant , Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon Target : One creature Attack : Wisdom vs. AC Hit : 1[W] fire and radiant damage. Effect : Once per turn until the end of your next turn, you repeat this attack against the target of this power as a minor action. Additionally, until the end of your next turn, your melee attacks deal extra radiant and fire damage equal to your Dexterity modifier or Intelligence modifier.
Power of Amaunator is a single use encounter power that states "hit an enemy". So as far as I am concerned, it's a single extra damage instance.

Edited 1523965461
baldhermit said: Power of Amaunator is a single use encounter power that states "hit an enemy". So as far as I am concerned, it's a single extra damage instance. Ok, makes sense. Followup query/clarification then, just to make sure I have things right: Power of Amaunator will inflict +1d10  "to all targets hit by the power used" . So for example, I could use it to add +1d10 damage to all enemies hit by Pure Glow. So: say I use Lightning Strider, and I have the Painful Oath feat. I hit my Oath target as one of the targets hit by Lightning Strider (gaining the Radiant keyword for that attack because of Painful Oath) - I can then use Power of Amaunator to inflict +1d10 damage to all of my Lightning Strider targets, as they are "all targets hit by the power used" ? And ditto for other multi-target attacks like Blade of Astral Hosts? Lightning Strider Your body becomes like a bolt of lightning as you shoot from enemy to enemy, launching attack after attack. Daily Arcane , Lightning , Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon Effect : Teleport 4 squares Primary Target : One creature Primary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] + Strength modifier lightning damage. Effect : You can teleport 3 squares, and then make a secondary attack. Secondary Target : One creature other than the primary target. Secondary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] lightning damage. Effect : You can teleport 2 squares, and then make a tertiary attack. Tertiary Target : One creature other than the primary and secondary targets. Tertiary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] lightning damage.
Drewcifer said: baldhermit said: Power of Amaunator is a single use encounter power that states "hit an enemy". So as far as I am concerned, it's a single extra damage instance. Ok, makes sense. Followup query/clarification then, just to make sure I have things right: Power of Amaunator will inflict +1d10  "to all targets hit by the power used" . So for example, I could use it to add +1d10 damage to all enemies hit by Pure Glow. So: say I use Lightning Strider, and I have the Painful Oath feat. I hit my Oath target as one of the targets hit by Lightning Strider (gaining the Radiant keyword for that attack because of Painful Oath) - I can then use Power of Amaunator to inflict +1d10 damage to all of my Lightning Strider targets, as they are "all targets hit by the power used" ? And ditto for other multi-target attacks like Blade of Astral Hosts? Lightning Strider Your body becomes like a bolt of lightning as you shoot from enemy to enemy, launching attack after attack. Daily Arcane , Lightning , Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon Effect : Teleport 4 squares Primary Target : One creature Primary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] + Strength modifier lightning damage. Effect : You can teleport 3 squares, and then make a secondary attack. Secondary Target : One creature other than the primary target. Secondary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] lightning damage. Effect : You can teleport 2 squares, and then make a tertiary attack. Tertiary Target : One creature other than the primary and secondary targets. Tertiary Attack : Intelligence vs. AC Hit : 1[W] lightning damage. Yes, it adds 1d10 to all targets hit by the power. You need to actually hit your oath target to trigger it in this case, but that should be apparent. 
Blooper said: Yes, it adds 1d10 to all targets hit by the power. You need to actually hit your oath target to trigger it in this case, but that should be apparent.  Nice, thank you!

Edited 1524610434
How does the Paladin e13 "Radiant Charge" work? Radiant Charge You propel yourself through the air toward a nearby foe as brilliant rays of light stream from your weapon. Encounter Divine , Radiant , Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon Effect : You can fly a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier and make an attack. Target : One creature within your melee reach Attack : Strength vs. AC Special : You must charge as part of this attack. Hit : 3[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage, and the target is marked until the end of your next turn. From discussion in Theorycraft chat, possible readings might be: - Charge your speed, then fly WIS squares and make your attack - Fly WIS squares, then charge your speed and attack - Fly WIS squares and make your attack, which counts as a charge - Charge your speed, during which you can fly WIS squares, and make your attack
Drewcifer said: How does the Paladin e13 "Radiant Charge" work? Radiant Charge You propel yourself through the air toward a nearby foe as brilliant rays of light stream from your weapon. Encounter Divine , Radiant , Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon Effect : You can fly a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier and make an attack. Target : One creature within your melee reach Attack : Strength vs. AC Special : You must charge as part of this attack. Hit : 3[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage, and the target is marked until the end of your next turn. From discussion in Theorycraft chat, possible readings might be: - Charge your speed, then fly WIS squares and make your attack - Fly WIS squares, then charge your speed and attack - Fly WIS squares and make your attack, which counts as a charge - Charge your speed, during which you can fly WIS squares, and make your attack You CAN fly, you MUST charge. There is nothing to indicate you'd get to move twice as part of this power, nor does it state the charge is land-based. I do not understand the confusion about this. You move up to your speed towards your target, and that movement can be land based or through the air or a combination of the two. So the last one.
Cool, thanks Bald.
Does the Avatar of Storm F21 "Stormhand" work with a Lightning Weapon? "Stormhand (21st level): When you use a lightning or a thunder power, you can choose to turn its lightning damage or thunder damage into lightning and thunder damage (if you do so, the power gains the keyword of the second damage type if the power didn’t already have it)." I'm hoping it does, because the Thunder keyword is added rather than replacing? This synergy is the entire lynchpin for where I'm hoping to take Rein's build in Epic, so it's very important that I don't get this wrong! Thanks!
Drewcifer said: Does the Avatar of Storm F21 "Stormhand" work with a Lightning Weapon? "Stormhand (21st level): When you use a lightning or a thunder power, you can choose to turn its lightning damage or thunder damage into lightning and thunder damage (if you do so, the power gains the keyword of the second damage type if the power didn’t already have it)." I'm hoping it does, because the Thunder keyword is added rather than replacing? This synergy is the entire lynchpin for where I'm hoping to take Rein's build in Epic, so it's very important that I don't get this wrong! Thanks! Yes, it works.
Woohoo! Thanks :)
Hey Guys, With Encouraging Boost, does the ally get to use second wind as a free action? Warlord Utility 2Encouraging Boost You shout words of encouragement, giving your ally a necessary boost. Encounter Healing , Martial Minor Action Ranged 5 Target : One ally Effect : The target can use its second wind and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. Published in Martial Power 2 , page(s) 86.

Edited 1528870228
Alex W said: Hey Guys, With Encouraging Boost, does the ally get to use second wind as a free action? Warlord Utility 2Encouraging Boost You shout words of encouragement, giving your ally a necessary boost. Encounter Healing , Martial Minor Action Ranged 5 Target : One ally Effect : The target can use its second wind and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. Published in Martial Power 2 , page(s) 86. The ally gets to use second wind as a no action.

Edited 1528917845
This isn't a 4e rules question, but a meta question - I wanted to suggest a change to the rule that forbids your characters from selling secondhand items to each other. The proposed change would say that one of your characters may buy an item listed by another one of your characters on the "for sale" thread, provided that the item has been up for sale for at least a week. This still allows other guild members to have first shot at the item and prevents players from hoarding popular items among their own characters, but prevents items from being voided for gold when one of your other characters could make use of them. What do you guys think?
Drewcifer said: This isn't a 4e rules question, but a meta question - I wanted to suggest a change to the rule that forbids your characters from selling secondhand items to each other. The proposed change would say that one of your characters may buy an item listed by another one of your characters on the "for sale" thread, provided that the item has been up for sale for at least a week. This still allows other guild members to have first shot at the item and prevents players from hoarding popular items among their own characters, but prevents items from being voided for gold when one of your other characters could make use of them. What do you guys think? Short answer: No. The GMs have discussed this on multiple occasions and decided that while not the worst idea, it's not something we want. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I have a question about the feat Swift Predator: Swift Predator Epic Tier Prerequisite : 21st level, druid, Primal Predator class feature, wild shape power Benefit : While you are in beast form, you gain a +1 feat bonus to speed, and whenever you shift, you can increase the distance by 1 square. I'm a little unsure how to parse the second half of this sentence. Is it whenever you shift (while you are in beast form), or just whenever you shift?

Edited 1529220603
Han S. said: I have a question about the feat Swift Predator: Swift Predator Epic Tier Prerequisite : 21st level, druid, Primal Predator class feature, wild shape power Benefit : While you are in beast form, you gain a +1 feat bonus to speed, and whenever you shift, you can increase the distance by 1 square. I'm a little unsure how to parse the second half of this sentence. Is it whenever you shift (while you are in beast form), or just whenever you shift? While that comma before the "and" makes it a little ambiguous, consensus is that the beast form condition applies as a prerequisite for all the benefits of the feat.
I'm wondering about how Half Elf Polymath's F16 would interact with augmentable classes. The F16 states Broad Dilettante (16th level) : Choose a 1st-level at-will attack power from any class that is different from yours. You gain that power. The glossary entry for Augmentable in the compendium says  At-Will Attack Powers : [...] When a racial trait lets an adventurer choose an extra at-will attack power and the adventurer chooses an augmentable at-will attack power, the power loses both the augmentable keyword and its augmentations. So my questions are Since Broad Dilettante is not a racial trait, would a Ardent/Battlemind/Psion attack not lose its Augmentable keyword if gained in this way? Would a psionic|nonpsionic hybrid gain any power points from it?
Han S. said: I'm wondering about how Half Elf Polymath's F16 would interact with augmentable classes. The F16 states Broad Dilettante (16th level) : Choose a 1st-level at-will attack power from any class that is different from yours. You gain that power. The glossary entry for Augmentable in the compendium says  At-Will Attack Powers : [...] When a racial trait lets an adventurer choose an extra at-will attack power and the adventurer chooses an augmentable at-will attack power, the power loses both the augmentable keyword and its augmentations. So my questions are Since Broad Dilettante is not a racial trait, would a Ardent/Battlemind/Psion attack not lose its Augmentable keyword if gained in this way? Would a psionic|nonpsionic hybrid gain any power points from it? 1. It would still have the augmentable keyword. 2. You do not gain any power points from it. 
Are you restricted in which Warpriest domain you can take with the feat Templar's Domain by your deity? The feat says Benefit: Choose a divine domain that has a 1st level domain feature associated with it, such as the storm or the sun domain of the warpriest. You lose Healer’s Lore and gain that 1st level domain feature. If the feature grants powers, you don’t gain them. I'm wondering because this seems like a thing that should be RAI but I don't see any RAW for it.
Han S. said: Are you restricted in which Warpriest domain you can take with the feat Templar's Domain by your deity? The feat says Benefit: Choose a divine domain that has a 1st level domain feature associated with it, such as the storm or the sun domain of the warpriest. You lose Healer’s Lore and gain that 1st level domain feature. If the feature grants powers, you don’t gain them. I'm wondering because this seems like a thing that should be RAI but I don't see any RAW for it. Hello, Han, and thanks for the question!  Please refer to the Deities section in the Minor Rulings. This is the relevant section:   You also determine what domain feats you can take based off the domains of the one deity you chose.
Centered Flurry of Blows: Melee 1 (Lv11) One or two creatures (Lv21) Each enemy adjacent to you Starblade Flurry: 11th level, monk, Flurry of Blows class feature;  When you use your Flurry of Blows power, you can add a single target  within 5 squares of you by throwing a dagger or a shuriken that you have in hand. Doing so doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. I am not understanding the wording. Does this mean I would be able to affect another target in addition to the flurry's original targets? Or, is this just effectively increasing the range? If the former, am I able to double tap a same target?
I'm not a DM in this campaign, but my reading, using that feat with Centered FoB at 11+, you would be able to strike 1 or 2 enemies adjacent to you, AND a 3rd, withing 5 squares IF you have a dagger or shuriken already in hand.

Edited 1532053673
Fuum Q. said: Centered Flurry of Blows: Melee 1 (Lv11) One or two creatures (Lv21) Each enemy adjacent to you Starblade Flurry: 11th level, monk, Flurry of Blows class feature;  When you use your Flurry of Blows power, you can add a single target  within 5 squares of you by throwing a dagger or a shuriken that you have in hand. Doing so doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. I am not understanding the wording. Does this mean I would be able to affect another target in addition to the flurry's original targets? Or, is this just effectively increasing the range? If the former, am I able to double tap a same target? It lets you add another target to flurry of blows that meets the requirements. Since the people you are already punching are already targets, you can't add them. But you can target someone different within the range of 5 squares to add. So effectively you can flurry one or two creatures, plus one within 5 squares(or all adjacent and one within 5 if epic). It is worth noting that if you hit someone who's far away and then flurry the same target, you won't get the slide if you are unable to meet the requirement of sliding them adjacent. 
Actually when we have this feat up, do the  Starblade Flurry  make it a range attack or is it still a melee attack?
It is still Melee. The same goes for Unseen Hand's Arms of the Unseen Way feature

Edited 1534489973
Few questions regarding Elementalists and the Academy Master PP interaction: Elemental Escalation | Sorcerer Attack -- | Free Action ✦ Personal | Arcane, Elemental, Varies Trigger: You use a sorcerer at-will attack power. Effect: You can make one additional creature a target of the triggering attack. If the attack's range is melee or ranged, the additional target must be within 5 squares of you. If the attack's range is area or close, the additional target must be adjacent to the burst or blast. Refined Recall | Academy Master Utility 12 | Free Action ✦ Personal | Arcane Trigger: You miss every target when using an arcane encounter attack power. Effect: The attack power is not expended. 1. Is Elemental Escalation considered a free action attack for the purposes of one-free-action-attack-per-turn? 2. Can you use Refined Recall to save the Elemental Escalation usage, assuming that the targets of the at-will (elemental bolt, etc.) miss? Learned Boost | Academy Master Attack 11 | Standard Action | Arcane, Reliable ; Implement or Weapon Effect: Use one of your arcane at-will attack powers on the target. If you hit, you deal +2[W] damage, or +2 dice of damage if it is a nonweapon attack. Master's Surge | Academy Master Attack 20 | Standard Action | Arcane, Reliable ; Implement or Weapon Effect: Use one of your arcane encounter attack powers on the target. That power is not expended. If you hit, you deal +2[W] damage, or +2 dice of damage if it is a nonweapon attack. You can also increase the duration of any effect the power applies to an enemy to “(save ends).” 3. Can you use Master's Surge on Learned Boost (on [insert atwill here])? Including stacking the +2+2 dice? 4. Continuing on, can you use Master's Surge on Learned Boost on Elemental Escalation (on [insert atwill here])? Elemental Escalation (Water) | Arcane, Elemental, Varies Level 17: 2d10 extra damage, and the target is also dazed until the end of your next turn. Ice Prison | Arcane, Cold, Elemental, Implement Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn. 5. If yes to #3, would Master's Surge turn both the daze eont and the slow eont to 'save ends'?

Edited 1534516092
Hi Fuum, thank you for your questions. The GMs are currently discussing whether to make houserules to make the powers function more according to RAI, but here is how it works according to RAW: 1) Yes, it is a free action and an attack power, thus it counts. 2) No. Elemental Escalation does not have any targets of its own, nor does it hit or miss them. It's the at-will that does. 3) Technically, both Master's Surge and Learned Boost are non-functional as they don't have targets themselves, but tell you to use a power "on the target". If we ignore the "on the target" language, then while you could use Master's Surge on Learned Boost, Learned Boost in itself does not hit or deal damage, so the +2 dice from Master's Surge are "lost". Learned Boost will, however, not be expended. 4) You could use Elemental Escalation on the at-will that Learned Boost tells you to use (and to be 100% clear, on the at-will that Master's Surge tells Learned Boost to tell you to use), since you are fulfilling the trigger for Elemental Escalation (you use a sorcerer at-will power). 5) Since Learned Boost itself does not impose any conditions, the question is invalid.

Edited 1534565417
Okay, thank you. Also, for confirmation: Would a(n arcane) at-will from Half-elf Dilettante (without versatile master) be viable for Refined Recall and Master's Surge due to "You can use that power as an encounter power."?
Fuum Q. said: Okay, thank you. Also, for confirmation: Would a(n arcane) at-will from Half-elf Dilettante (without versatile master) be viable for Refined Recall and Master's Surge due to "You can use that power as an encounter power."? No. Can be used is not the same as is. Similar to our clarification with basic attack replacements
The house rule for no acation attacks state that you can only have one per game element, does that mean you can only use  one per trigger or one per power. Meaning if have a power can trigger one no action off the hit and another off the damage roll can I use both? Also would the ironwrought lv1 power count as an attack for this purpose?
It is not once per trigger; it is once per game element that allows you to do the no action attack. For instance, if you look at harmony blade, its crit effect allows you to make a MBA as a no action. If you then crit again (assuming your harmony blade is in your off-hand), you cannot then make another no-action attack due to the game element Harmony Blade. You could still make other No action attacks if other game elements allow you to do so.
Ironwrought's level 1 power, Inevitable Strike, is not a 'no action' attack.  It is an attack power that provides an additional attack roll.
Ryan said: Ironwrought's level 1 power, Inevitable Strike, is not a 'no action' attack.  It is an attack power that provides an additional attack roll. thanks, making sure. Wanted to make sure one of my builds would work here. A Blackguard|Executioner who's goal is to unload every power all at once. he can get to 218 on a crit at Lv14 (and he rolls twice and crits on 18's for that attack)
Remember the Guild motto: “ FUN ctional before optimal.” 

Edited 1542633989
I have a question about two items-- for reference, the item text is reproduced below (emphasis mine). Steadfast Amulet Use this power when you are dazed or stunned by an attack. Make a saving throw against the condition. On a failure, you don't expend the use of this power and no daily use of a magic item power occurs. Circlet of Arkhosia When you are dazed or stunned, you can make a saving throw against one of those conditions at the start of your turn. If you save, you can act normally on your turn. The wording of both of these lines are consistent with both the effects they pertain to, and that neither specifies whether the effect ends regardless of whether the effect being saved against is save ends (like, for example, the Superior Will benefit line). However, the latter of these items has a minor ruling that clarifies that the save ends the effect whether or not the effect itself is save ends, but the former does not have a minor ruling.  Given that the power text and property line, respectively, are so closely worded, shouldn't the Steadfast Amulet power work the same way as the Circlet of Arkhosia with respect to the minor ruling? EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure, one of my characters has a Steadfast Amulet, which is what motivated my asking this. I'd personally like for Steadfast to work the same way as CoA, but I'd prefer that they're both consistent with each other, regardless of what the answer is.