Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Questions thread!

As many as you can afford.
Amyr L. said: How many item dailies/encounters can i have? Is there a limit? No, there is no longer a limit on item power use. However, you cannot have more than one item equipped per item slot (except ring slots).

Edited 1465204856
Does the brutal weapon effect also affect crit dice?  Edit: I assume the same rule would apply in the case of the Avenging Resolution feat. Edit 2: I don't know if it matters, but for a high crit weapon where it is 1W/2W/3W, does the ruling change?
I do believe these are the accepted responses by the gms: 1. Does the brutal weapon effect also affect crit dice? No, brutal only effects the [W] parts of a power. So if you have an effect that adds [W] it would effect it. 2. Does the avenging resolution effect also affect crit dice? Yes, unlike brutal which specifies weapon damage, this feat just says all damage rolls. Crit damage rolls are damage rolls. 3. High Crit + Brutal? Check answer to 1, but to reiterate, yes, it is a [W] die.
Question about "Primary Ability?" Is a primary ability in regard to the first ability listed in Key Abilities of each class or in regard to a player's build? For example, a paladin can be built solely on Charisma instead of Strength . As a warlock can be built solely on Constitution instead of Charisma . As a ranger can be built solely on Dexterity instead of Strength .
Primary ability is your highest ability. The slayer built on int has int as their primary ability
Gary M said: Primary ability is your highest ability. The slayer built on int has int as their primary ability Yes! Thank you very much. Good news to hear. Now, to start my new replacement.
It's been years since I played 4E and never really got into the Essentials classes back then. I've figured out which is which by the source ("core" classes are found in PHB1,2,3 while Essentials classes come from Heroes of X). But I'm confused on what Essentials classes get, exactly.  For example, Bard (Skald) only has the powers listed for level 1. Do I still choose At-Will powers as normal or is Deceptive Duelist  pretty much it?
eclasses gain powers from the entire pool their base class has access to if they get powers of that level. (So for example a Thief does not select At-Wills as they aren't allowed them, but they would get to use the Rogue's entire pool of utility powers.) Some eclasses have virtually no difference in power selection, such as the Mage and Arcanist who share their entire pools. (Even if a mage would only want powers from their school of magic.)

Edited 1466116752
1.) FAQ says Skype... My Skype account is locked because I have to re-verify the email and the linked email is dysfunctional, so I cannot verify it. My computer will not allow me to implement a new one with Skype instead, and the Skype help system could not solve the issue (though they have tried at least eight times over the past year and a half). What do I use instead of Skype? P.S. I have a great mic, as far as I can tell with Roll20's voice chat. Just issues with Skype. 2.) Curiosity kills me... How ridiculous are my characters allowed to be, assuming I have more than adequate explanation and sufficiently reasonable backstory? Like, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the average +1 Flaming weapon and 10 being the absolutely bizarre Wand Of Wonder? Edit: I ask because I was planning on using two characters from a project I completed a while back (turning internet memes into viable, flavorful, and non-stupid characters) for my main and alt.
1. If your Skype is permanently broken you should just create a new one from scratch off you can. Without Skype it is going to be almost impossible to be kept up to date and to play  2. Depends. Generally if you have to rely on others to buy in to your oddity you might be on the wrong track, but you can certainly play an odd duck. My bard has squirrel cages around his neck and sacrifices those squirrels for certain spells all the while muttering to himself and arguing with a bear with a fez who flies next to him on a bright red ball. Up to you really
:/ Hmm... Thanks much for the answers, and that second one made me laugh. :)
I just want to clarify a rule on items. According to the post on items: "Usually we try to make stuff fit to your character, but if you want to sell it to someone else in the guild (see #5), they can choose for the enchantment to transfer to a weapon type of their choice without difficulty." Would this still apply to hard typed weapons? For example, Avalanche Hammer is strictly Hammers-only according to the compendium. Would a player be able to enchant say a spear with this? I also have this question regarding typed armors. I.e., could a player enchant a piece of cloth with an armor enchant that says Scale only in the compendium? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I would assume the answer is no, but I would just like to be sure.

Edited 1466170283
Is there an actual name for the guild in the campaign? Does it change from place to place? If Roll20 can run a poll, then I think that would be an excellent way of determining its name; there could be a vote thread where players come up with names, DMs nominate the ones they like, and then everyone votes. Is there any definitive way to learn the lore that has accumulated so far? I feel like a character that is related to a villain (that other players have fought) would provide all kinds of interesting opportunities for role-play. Also, wouldn't it be awesome to have a sort of "history book" that logged events from past sessions in one monolithic thread? I've seen several post-mission rewards and explanations, but nowhere to collect them. Furthermore, I think it'd be priceless if memorable interactions between characters were incorporated into such a thread; it might encourage players to bring their "A-game" to each session.
@Kyle M.  No, you cannot transfer enchantments to weapon/armor/anything else types that are not listed as being eligible for the enchantment. @Sebastian  I know that having a name other than "The Guild" has been discussed from time to time in passing.  As to learning 'the lore', well, it's tough to do that without providing spoilers for adventures that you may one day get an opportunity to play.  Rarely in the past in my experience there have been some guild-wide announcements made about an adventure changing something within the guild.  Gary's Crystal Sphere arc comes to mind in particular.  As for motivating people to bring their A-Game for the most part we rely upon patience and failing that ridicule.  :)

Edited 1466173716
That makes sense. Especially the last sentence. :P Another: I use an online unzipper for the portable compendium. Do I have to just go through all of the files (once unzipped) and download them individually or do I just need to grab the license and launchers? I ask because the zipped files are on my computer, so I'm unsure if (for example) the builder could access that information.
Hi. Am I allowed to use the guild Skype chat to recruit for an impromptu game? At this moment in time I am on holiday, I am kinda bored and I have an adventure that I can run. It is 4th edition, home made. The exact kind of people I am looking for are probably killing time on the guild chat. This game is independent of the guild. The guilds structure, rules, characters and assurance of GM quality don't apply. So, am I allowed to: 1. Generally post to find interest for another game in the Skype chat. Whatever time. 2. Post availability of a game in the Skype chat, immediately following a "roll in" in order to play a game with the people that aren't playing.
@Sebastian:  I cannot answer your question. @Malcolm:  I haven't seen that it is specifically forbidden for you to do so, but I know I am not the only person (GM hat aside) that would find this to be in poor taste.  Using this game's resources for another game seems inappropriate to me.  If, however, you are interested in becoming a GM then I make the right noises in guild Skype chat, you'll certainly be afforded a chance to show your stuff, and once approved as a GM you can run as many impromptu games (that don't conflict with scheduled games) as you would like I'd imagine. TLDR: 1. I wouldn't recommend it, but the final call is your own. 2. I wouldn't recommend it, but the final call is your own.
Good to know, thanks. Honestly I agree. Just that I was in situation 2 yesterday. I didn't post in case it was rude, thought I'd ask first.
Here's a question that I think I already know the answer to... But I think would be fun to consider for the DMs. Since all of the magic items are available for buying and selling like nobody's business... I'm guessing they all have magical "tags" on them to make sure no one can try to steal them and sell them for ridiculous economic destruction (not to mention personal use and/or selling profit)? If so, there may be potential for an adventure; maybe the PCs investigate the local Magic Market because there have been items stolen and the tags were somehow "disconnected", so they have to find details. Who did it, how did they do it, and what happened to the exact items?
Do not advertise in guild chat for non guild games.  Even if you state it in all caps, frequently and loudly, there is no way that we can really separate non guild games from guild games.  If you want to run games as a DM.  Play some and then once you get acclimated to things you can run you own games in the guild. @Sebastian.  Rule1: Don't be a dick.  Generally if people are cheating in this manner it is super obvious.  Also the sale thread tends to be conveniently updated with things pretty much right after an adventure.  Most of the things on there have just been put up so not a ton of opportunity to 'sneak in' stuff. Also... Sebastian if you want to talk this much to the guild... maybe try guild chat :-P.
@Gary. That wasn't about players taking magic items; it was about paragon-level lurkers and skirmishers stealing magic items from a shop in-game, with the PCs retreiving them for a mission. How do I enter the guild chat? I am trying to find a way to set up Skype without buying a new computer, so if the guild chat is in Skype I can't do that yet.
Your problems with Skype, are some of the worst that I have ever heard of. I have not yet encountered a situation where uninstalling it completely, creating a new account, reinstalling it and then using the new account could not get around whatever problem you're facing.
I just can't uninstall it because of the computer itself. When the help couldn't solve the problem, I figured it was not Skype itself, but something else (there are a couple of programs that act out a lot, besides Skype). I've run anti-malware scans and even used a backup terrabyte drive to store info and factory-reset my computer, but that didn't work. Took a few days to reinstall everything, too. :P
Well then you are sol. We use Skype for basically everything. 
New computer it is, then. FAQ question: when it says to put the macros/other info into the journal in-game, does that mean I should click "Join Game" and edit a character sheet in there? If yes, I assume I should not do it when there are people playing, right? (Either way I'll wait 'til no one is playing a game in it, but I wanted to check.)
@Sebastian: Yes. You should also not do it when people are playing or else use the handy /talktomyself feature to test out your macros. As Gary said. Rule 1: Don't be a dick. If you think your actions have a chance of inconveniencing others, don't do them.
Question about extra dice added when charging. Do these extra dice benefit from things that increase "damage rolls". For example, Vangaurd Weapon adds 1d8 extra when charging. Do I get to add things like a weapon's enhancement bonus, damage feats, etc. to this roll? Is the ruling any different when the extra damage is 1[W] like in the case of Avalanche Hammer or the Surprising Charge feat? Thanks in advance.
Extra damage is not a separate instance of damage; therefore no, it would not benefit from them. So for example if your charge attack deals [W]+Str+Enh+Weapon Focus, it would now deal [W]+Str+Enh+Weapon Focus+1d8, not [W]+Str+Enh+Weapon Focus and 1d8+Str+Enh+Weapon Focus.
Jag is 100% correct.  It would need to be a separate instance of damage in order to benefit from things again.  If it is a separate instance of damage keep in mind it will not share all the same keywords as the first damage roll.
Does the essentials Magic Missile work with the White Lotus feats in this campaign? It does not involve an attack roll and has no "Hit:" section, as it is purely an "Effect:" power with the auto-hit version. If the WL feats don't apply to the essentials Magic Missile, would we be allowed to use the PHB Magic Missile that had an attack roll and a damage roll instead, when making a wizard character?

Edited 1468366320
Matt
Plus
Sebastian Draculstar said: Does the essentials Magic Missile work with the White Lotus feats in this campaign? It does not involve an attack roll and has no "Hit:" section, as it is purely an "Effect:" power with the auto-hit version. If the WL feats don't apply to the essentials Magic Missile, would we be allowed to use the PHB Magic Missile that had an attack roll and a damage roll instead, when making a wizard character? You are correct. It does not hit. The compendium defines hit as: "If the attack roll is higher than or equal to the defense score, the attack hits..." therefore attacks without an attack roll cannot hit, therefore any feats that require a hit (including most of the White Lotus ones) will not affect a power like Magic Missile. I should also note that because there is no damage roll, most game elements that give bonuses to damage rolls do not apply. Additionally, sorry, but we cannot let you use old versions of powers that have since been errataed, so no, you cannot use the PHB Magic Missile.
I just thought it was weird that all of the things from the Academy stuff were geared towards wizard at wills, especially Wizard's Fury with Magic Missile, and yet they don't work for Magic Missile or Storm Pillar. Thanks for the clarity!

Edited 1470320895
Hi! I saw in the threads when I was reading that I have to make sure the backstory is good for a monster race. My character that I am wanting to re-create is a human that uses a spear for story, but in the rules he is a bugbear slayer with a gouge. He is the first and only character I ever played in D&D, so he does not have any backstory yet. He was level 13 when I last played him and I am having to remake him at level 5. So I guess my question is if I can say all of the things he did in that campaign is his backstory for this one? Is that allowed? Also, how do I get a person to add me in Skype?
You send me a contact request at Gravymattingly to get added in skype.  Also you are welcome to use your other campaign in backstory unless it is a truly crazy story.  We are pretty open to letting your story be your story so it is highly likely that will be ok.
Yay! :D
How long after we are brought in do we have to get our character sheet posted and etc.  As I haven't played 4e before, I am taking my time with the character to make sure I set him up properly and I tick off all the requirements.  But it's kind of a slow process while I read and then re-read.
Question for a later build, Displacer Armor is different in the compendium versus its original book, with the book allowing the effect to last until end of encounter, and compendium saying end of next turn, which should be used?
Andrew V. said: How long after we are brought in do we have to get our character sheet posted and etc.  As I haven't played 4e before, I am taking my time with the character to make sure I set him up properly and I tick off all the requirements.  But it's kind of a slow process while I read and then re-read. Hi Andrew, Presumable the first character you make and show us will have us asking for some clarifications or changes. That'll take anywhere from a few hours to a day depending on timezones, when who is awake, etc. Then coding that character into macros will at best take 2 hours, but likely somewhere around 4 if you've never done it before. This is not a quick process, but the games run that much smoother when every player knows why and how their character works. After that, count on 2 to 3 sessions of 4 hours each before a level up.
Chris B. said: Question for a later build, Displacer Armor is different in the compendium versus its original book, with the book allowing the effect to last until end of encounter, and compendium saying end of next turn, which should be used? Hi Chris, AV page 44 does list the effect lasting till end of the encounter. However, during the rules update of August 2012 this was altered, its duration limited to end of next turn as you can now read in the compendium. In almost all cases the compendium will have the more recent version of the rules that we in the Guild adhere to.
@andrew I think the question you were really asking is "do I have a time limit that I have to get my character done in" and the answer is no. You can chill in the guild for months without a character. We don't really care. Life happens, but we hope you get to play sooner rather than later.
Hello, new friends! Just joined here, and I figure that getting introduced will go much smoother through chat (skype) than by posting questions everywhere and waiting for answers. Is there someone I can add for that?
Add me as a contact on skype: whiteguy5120. Before your ask a slew of questions, be sure to look through the Basic Rules and New Player Checklist threads. A lot of your questions are likely answered there!
Thanks Gary, it is a chaotic time for me.  I want to play, but I don't like feeling as though I have half arsed my preparation, and I insist on knowing my class well.  If I don't get time to do what I consider adequate research, I may just have to settle for making one of the core classes.
Andrew V. said: Thanks Gary, it is a chaotic time for me.  I want to play, but I don't like feeling as though I have half arsed my preparation, and I insist on knowing my class well.  If I don't get time to do what I consider adequate research, I may just have to settle for making one of the core classes. Take your time.  You are in no rush.  Also you can play up til level 7 as whatever you want to get the swing of it and any time you want you can change it out (keeping the exp and loot) to another character.
Is it possible to use charge attack for heavy blade opportunity feat? Would it be able to fulfill weapon keyword condition based on melee basic attack or power used in place of melee basic attack? HEAVY BLADE OPPORTUNITY Paragon Tier Prerequisite : 11th level, Str 15, Dex 15 Benefit : When you make an opportunity attack with a heavy blade, you can use an at-will attack that has the weapon keyword instead of a basic attack. Charge a Target Action: Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target. Figure out how far away the creature is from the target—even counting through squares of blocking terrain—and then follow these steps. 1. Move: The creature moves up to its speed toward the target. Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target, and the creature must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position. 2. Attack: The creature either makes a melee basic attack against the target or uses bull rush against it. The creature gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll. 3. No Further Actions: The creature can't take any further actions during this turn, except free actions. A creature's turn usually ends after it charges. However, it can extend its turn by taking certain free actions. Some powers allow a creature to use them in place of a melee basic attack when charging. When a creature uses such a power, the creature retains all the normal benefits of a charge and must follow all the same rules. For instance, it still must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position, and it still gains the +1 bonus to attack rolls.
The opportunity attack would be a melee basic, meaning the target would be required to be adjacent to the character making the attack, which would prevent a charge, which must have the character move at least 2 squares from its starting position and each square moved must bring the charging character closer to the target, by moving around, you do not move any closer to the target. So, no, a charge attack would not be useable in this scenario.