Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] Version 8+

I'm just wondering something. The old old old sheets used to be nice and quick and I never had a problem opening more than 2. However, now I'm using version 14 and it sometimes takes 10 seconds to open a sheet. and opening more than 1 will slow things down even more. How are things done? Is this my computer? (I can play most new pc games with no issues). The more stuff in a character sheet seems to be a problem. So if an NPC has spells, it can take an overly long time to open. is this known? Is there anything I can do?
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
CraigDMHyde said: I'm just wondering something. The old old old sheets used to be nice and quick and I never had a problem opening more than 2. However, now I'm using version 14 and it sometimes takes 10 seconds to open a sheet. and opening more than 1 will slow things down even more. How are things done? Is this my computer? (I can play most new pc games with no issues). The more stuff in a character sheet seems to be a problem. So if an NPC has spells, it can take an overly long time to open. is this known? Is there anything I can do? There's not much you can do about it, and yes, spells are the biggest culprit. However, with the chat macros for statblock/spellbook/attacks/etc, you will rarely have to actually open the sheet to do  stuff as the NPC - you can do it all in chat, and chat macros are very fast.

Edited 1495273693
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This issue is a Roll20 issue that is unrelated to any recent sheet version (older ones have less optimized storage, but in the last 6+ months to a year this hasn't been an issue). It is a known Roll20 issue that the more information you have on a sheet and the more sheets you have in a campaign then the more lag you will encounter. Some things to check: Do you have LastPass installed? If so, disable it. It is a known issue with Roll20 and is unrelated to the Shaped sheet. Did you import the whole monster manual to your campaign? If you did then delete most of them. Did you import every spell for a class to your character sheet? If you did then delete most of them. Let me know if any of these suggestions help with the lag.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
14.0.1 Bug Fixes #491: Ammo missing from Offense items Completely revamped hit dice to handle an edge case of 3 or more classes including 7 different hit dice in one character while using the "Half" recovery default rule. Closes #489: Long Rest button doesn't recover hit dice properly
Thanks for the reply guys :) Appreciate it. I don't have lastpass, at least I don't think so (if it doesn't come with windows 10 I don't have it :P) I try to keep my campaigns down to just the monsters I need. I have a druid in one of the parties I run for so I have to have most of the beasts ready. Jakob, I love using the token actions. :) speeds up my game so much. A little tip for people who don't know. create and store all of NPC's/Monsters in different campaigns. I label them like: NPC Undead NPC Dragons NPC Humanoid NPC Special I also have storage for random maps and specific maps. :) This way you can prepare for EVERYTHING but not bog down your games with too many things. Just make sure your game has a lot of named folders to store things when you transmogrify them over :P Something that is neat too is if you delete a monster after moving it over to your main campaign, the next time you add them in they will automatically be dumped into the last folder they were in :) Let's hope the Roll20 staff can do some optimizing. I'm no programmer but I feel like this stuff shouldn't be this CPU intensive :) But hey, what the heck do I know? :P Keep up the great work Kryx and friends :P

Edited 1495299948
I'm on version 14.0.1 Wanted to ask here if anyone else has this issue before I opened an Issue in the tracker. I can't seem to get the Utility section to roll any dice. I tried making a basic healing potion and set the dice and checked the heal box, but when I click it, nothing is rolled. Has anyone else had this issue, or is it just me?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It seems utility is not fully setup properly. I'll fix as part of 14.0.2
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
14.0.2 Bug Fixes Healing now works for Utility items and Other Damage now works for Offense . Potion of Healing and other items with a specific wording will now be parsed to heal. 14.0.2 is on my main campaign and everything seems to be running smoothly after some manual switching of token actions from attacks to offense.
Are there plans to add archetype features for classes later down the road?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
sirren said: Are there plans to add archetype features for classes later down the road? #343: Allow Custom Class/Race/Archetype inclusion exists for the custom ones. Standard ones don't have so much value as there are so few in the SRD. Possibly at some point, but my groups generally don't use the ones available in the SRD so it's not a top priority for me.
Not sure if this is a bug but thought I would ask incase I am doing one simple thing wrong before reporting it.  I created two different attachers that are referencing attributes on attacks and spells. I created 1 for Hex spell just to ad the 1d6 damage automatically and another for Hexblade curse as a reminder of how many hit points to restore when the cursed target dies.  The issue I see is whenever both are turned on the Hexblade Curse attacher does not show while Hex does. If I turn off the Hex attacher then the Curse attacher shows. this is what I have in freetext: Hexblade Curse Add [[@{Anthalon|warlock_level} + @{Anthalon|charisma_mod}]] hit points when your hexblade cursed target dies. Hex @{Anthalon|repeating_spell1_$0_roll_formula} I used roll formula because other_damage doesn't seem to exist when I add the 1d6 under other damage on a spell. The html info shows the attr name as roll_formula (documentation keeps saying other_damage) If this is a bug let me know and I'll make screen shots and report it on the issue tracker; if I am just missing something please let me know. Thanks.
Possibly turn the hex into button?. [Name](action)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I would recommend turning hex into a button based on the repeat, ya.

Edited 1495467037
Ammo tracking isn't working after 14.0.2 update.  Says it cannot find the attribute name. This was basic arrows, pre-generated by the sheet after creating a Longbow in the attack list. I need to pay attention to the release notes better. :D
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: 14.0.0 Breaking Changes There are several breaking changes with regards to the script in this version. See Ammo qty renamed to "uses" and Attacks have been renamed "Offense" . Meaning ammo will likely not auto subtract until it is fixed as well as the attacks token action needing to be updated to offense. qty has been removed everywhere on the sheet including ammo which may break ammo reduction. I have upgraded qty for ammo and equipment, but not attacks. Please be sure to read the release notes.
Fair enough, I'll wait then! Thank you! Also, the new addition of the Equipment tab, which I like by the way, will it give more of a break down for weight and quantity (realizing that might be an issue right with the "qty" thing) such like it looked in previous editions?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: 12.0.0 Features Removed Expand/Contract in favor of a tab for "Spells", "Equipment", and "Features". In technical implementation these are showing the sections on the core page in an expanded way. See 12.0.0 release notes. It is just allowing more room.

Edited 1495468877
Right! I did read that bit.  And I completely agree on the core page look!  But on the equipment page, will it be updated eventually so that we can see/edit the weight and such in columns again?  Or, is click-to-edit going to be the new normal?  Either way I'm fine, I was just curious if you were able to have the compact look on the core page, and the expanded look on the equipment page. Edit:  You know what, nevermind.  I just realized I can make those commonly edited weighted items become utility items and auto-adjust weight on uses.  I'll slip back into my hole now. :)

Edited 1495468915
Equipment total Weight seems to be incorrect, based on which equipment item you clicked on last, as opposed to the total sum of all equipment. Edit: I just noticed all the weights are like this, so I'm assuming it's being worked on! Also:  Should I be posting like this?  Or, would you rather I post on bitbucket?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Uses for weight is the expected workflow. It works quite nicely so far in my experience. If there is a case that I have overlooked feel free to bring it up for discussion. If you experience any bugs then the OP has a link to the issue tracker. Only bugs added there will be addressed.
One the issue of roll20 lagging down due to to many information stored, is it enough to archive the sheets or would you need to delete them to free up the processing power?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Simon O. said: One the issue of roll20 lagging down due to to many information stored, is it enough to archive the sheets or would you need to delete them to free up the processing power? One of the moderators or devs has previously stated that archiving has no performance impact, only visual. So I think not.
Kryx said: Alexander said: using Roll2 is probably the best way to go. From a design perspective roll2 is a limited approach that doesn't work with some nice features with the sheet. I've left it for people who have grown accustomed to it, but I'd greatly encourage not using it. Alexander said: Kryx, is roll2 still the only option not causing issues with Roll Query? I'm not sure what you mean by roll query. Always querying how to roll? That's a separate setting from normal or roll2. My biggest reason for using Roll 2 is that sheet workers would consistently (like 2-3 times a campaign on average) get stuck rolling advantage or disadvantage regardless of which option was selected and would only reset itself if the player reloaded the campaign. Has this ceased to be an issue?
Brian said: Kryx said: Alexander said: using Roll2 is probably the best way to go. From a design perspective roll2 is a limited approach that doesn't work with some nice features with the sheet. I've left it for people who have grown accustomed to it, but I'd greatly encourage not using it. Alexander said: Kryx, is roll2 still the only option not causing issues with Roll Query? I'm not sure what you mean by roll query. Always querying how to roll? That's a separate setting from normal or roll2. My biggest reason for using Roll 2 is that sheet workers would consistently (like 2-3 times a campaign on average) get stuck rolling advantage or disadvantage regardless of which option was selected and would only reset itself if the player reloaded the campaign. Has this ceased to be an issue? Yes, this stopped being an issue a while ago now.
For me, I just keep using roll 2 cause it's convenient since I always forget to change advantage/disadvantage Just wondering when is the newest version coming out for the public? or at least for me, because I haven't seen it update yet and I would love to try out some of the new things implemented.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fill-in said: Just wondering when is the newest version coming out for the public? or at least for me, because I haven't seen it update yet and I would love to try out some of the new things implemented. If you want to see the current version go public then I'd suggest testing as many PC and NPC upgrades as you can.
So the expected workflow that Uses should now be used where Quantity was before? This seems a bit bizarre, particularly for equipment where you have multiple instances but they're not really "Uses". For instance, I have 5 sets of manacles, not 5 "uses" of manacles. Things like torches and rations as well, I wouldn't consider "uses". It's usable but not intuitive, particularly with having to set the "per use" weight to do it (as by default the base weight is filled instead when dragging from the compendium). Is there anything that has a base weight and then additional weight per use? Or would it be better to set uses to 1 and use "per use" weight for everything? EDIT: Nvm, realised the flip argument of things that have uses but a weight that never changes. If the aim is to reduce the number of fields then combining uses and quantity makes sense but the current method lacks some of the nuance that Quantity had. Additionally, the upgrade process could probably use some tweaks; all the weights for my characters have changed because quantity looks to have been mapped into uses but only the base weight has been kept. For instance, the 5 manacles (used to weigh 30lbs) have been mapped to 5/_ uses, weight 6+per use _ = 6.

Edited 1495639583
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rations and torches fit the uses mold perfectly. It even adds the benefit that clicking them uses them. These fit the same situation as a Potion of Healing. More items will have their weight moved to weight_per_use as time goes on. I need a good way to identify those items, but I may do it on a case by case basis. Manacles can use "uses" as well and just set the amount used to 0. (there is a bug currently, but hopefully Lucian will fix it soon). If there are upgrade issues please open an issue on the tracker.
Kryx said: ... More items will have their weight moved to weight_per_use as time goes on. I need a good way to identify those items, but I may do it on a case by case basis. If the Item name includes Wand, Staff or Rod then weight total, else weight_per_use? Might be some other examples?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jim W. said: If the Item name includes Wand, Staff or Rod then weight total, else weight_per_use? Might be some other examples? This assumes all items have weights tied to their use which doesn't work. For example a normal weapon and a weapon with uses doesn't have its weight based on uses. That vast majority of things don't have their weight based on uses. I suspect it'll only be consumable items like potions. The issue is I want to avoid having uses and qty because then it would make senses to allow both to be reduced from the presentation view and that massively clutters it. I'll need to think through the options.
Do weapons have uses?  I missed the logical step of . If it has uses...AND  (although is this is srd...) Weapons with uses other than ammo? Things like rope, manacles, candles, are 'used' but some can be recovered. Tinderbox has one use, until recharged, but weight hardly changes (but who even gets to that detail).

Edited 1495646799
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jim W. said: Weapons with uses other than ammo? Mace of Terror. I'm sure there are plenty more and homebrew items.
Kryx said: Jim W. said: Weapons with uses other than ammo? Mace of Terror. I'm sure there are plenty more and homebrew items. Just checked (new one on me!)  and it appears the SRD has no uses data except in text?  So will have to be manually edited whatever solution is used?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jim W. said: Just checked (new one on me!)  and it appears the SRD has no uses data except in text?  So will have to be manually edited whatever solution is used? It has been necessary to manually add it and that is still the case for everything but potions. Though I'm planning on improving that over the next few versions if I can.
My point is that if it's going to have to be manual then it does not have an effect on the method you use to decide how to load the SRD data (except in picking the best general default ).  Excluding all those, the cases that can be handled should determine how they are handled.  Might make the process of decision making easier.

Edited 1495649081
By the way are you planning to handle cases where a Staff (usually) has variable charge use?  Simplest case would be a Staff of Lightning Bolts which can do an extra 1 die of damage for an extra charge use, but some are far more complicated.  The solution I have tried in the past has been to have each effect as an attack and using the AMMO USE functionality - using the same ammo name in each case.  I think that method is no longer valid as an option.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maybe in the future if someone adds it as a proposal, but it is a rare case that would require a fair amount of work.

Edited 1495659840
Kryx said: This assumes all items have weights tied to their use which doesn't work. For example a normal weapon and a weapon with uses doesn't have its weight based on uses. That vast majority of things don't have their weight based on uses. I suspect it'll only be consumable items like potions. Javelins are an example of an weapon that has a weight per use. H
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I actually expect javelins and handaxes to use ammo. Think of a lightning javelin with uses.
Kryx said: Maybe in the future if someone adds it as a proposal, but it is a rare case that would require a fair amount of work. It's not super rare for magic items; just off the top of my head I can think of Wand of Fear, Cube of Force, Staff of the Woodlands, Necklace of Fireballs and those are just things my party has come across randomly.
Kryx said: I actually expect javelins and handaxes to use ammo. Think of a lightning javelin with uses. Ah okay. I never used it that way but it makes sense and the weight would still be tracked. Would be nice if those kinds of thrown items would add an ammo row by default but maybe that is not possible. Javelins, handaxes, daggers, etc. H
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There are definitely items that have variable charges - I didn't intend to imply that they don't exist. Building a system that supported such complex items would take a lot of work. I haven't used them and expect I won't any time soon so that work isn't so desirable for me to do at this point.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
HLazar said: Would be nice if those kinds of thrown items would add an ammo row by default but maybe that is not possible. Javelins, handaxes, daggers, etc. Agreed! It would help me if such ideas were added to my tracker so I can approach them more easily. I have been wondering lately if the split I did with ammo makes sense. There are cases where a user might have 2 different bows that use arrows and it makes some sense to store them as the same resource, but I wonder if storing ammo per repeating item (in multiple sections) is actually a better solution. Thoughts?

Edited 1495713555
Kryx said: Agreed! It would help me if such ideas were added to my tracker so I can approach them more easily. I have been wondering lately if the split I did with ammo makes sense. There are cases where a user might have 2 different bows that use arrows and it makes some sense to store them as the same resource, but I wonder if storing ammo per repeating item (in multiple sections) is actually a better solution. Thoughts? Looks like there might have been a  ticket already but that was probably with an older version. Should I reopen or add a new one? I can not really help you because our game does not really use ammo, at least not until it starts to matter (repeated battles with no ability to restock). I just do not have any experience with it so can not compare original versus now.
Kryx said: HLazar said: Would be nice if those kinds of thrown items would add an ammo row by default but maybe that is not possible. Javelins, handaxes, daggers, etc. Agreed! It would help me if such ideas were added to my tracker so I can approach them more easily. I have been wondering lately if the split I did with ammo makes sense. There are cases where a user might have 2 different bows that use arrows and it makes some sense to store them as the same resource, but I wonder if storing ammo per repeating item (in multiple sections) is actually a better solution. Thoughts? I'd prefer not having ammo per repeating section. There's the case you mentioned with two different bows, but you might also have different ways to attack with your weapons (like Sharpshooter). I know that some of my players prefer to put those different methods in as separate weapons, even if it's a static modifier. In addition to that, in the D&D Modern hack that I'm playing in, silenced weapons use a smaller die size. Silencers can be removed quite easily, so it's less work to set up a loud and a silenced version immediately rather than change the weapon every time you add or remove the silencer. We still need to track ammo, so it's easier to just have two weapon entries using the same ammo type.
Still using 11.5 for my live game (mainly because of lack of time to test and possible disjoint between sheet and API), but ammo deduction works fine when shared between two weapon entries - except no warning of out of ammo or display of ammo left for the one case I recently set up but not had time to investigate why that is.  The other complexity that used to be possible with Ammo is number of bits of ammo used, which I thought was ideal for the complex staff options but never used. 
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jim W. said: The other complexity that used to be possible with Ammo is number of bits of ammo used, which I thought was ideal for the complex staff options but never used.  I believe ammo has always been 1 per use. It's not something that I can easily change as Lucian manages that.

Edited 1495725117
I still like the ability of having the ammo separate from the weapon, since it allows for multiple ammo types for a single weapon. EX: I have a longbow and shortbow with fire arrows, normal arrows, and acid arrows. I can set the ammo type as a query or I create multiple weapons, but still able to track the resources for each arrow type. What would be nice is if the  ammo had its own damage associated with it that would act like a secondary damage type .

Edited 1495724824
Curiosity here Kryx. Currently the sheet 14.0.2 does not add up total weight of all the items in either the Offense or Equipment sections of the sheet. I am assuming this is something you have been working on or am I missing how to make it work, or perhaps I need to open a ticket?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
BP said: I still like the ability of having the ammo separate from the weapon, since it allows for multiple ammo types for a single weapon. EX: I have a longbow and shortbow with fire arrows, normal arrows, and acid arrows. I can set the ammo type as a query or I create multiple weapons, but still able to track the resources for each arrow type. What would be nice is if the ammo had its own damage associated with it that would act like a secondary damage type. (will create a request for it) Ammo type cannot be set as a query as when that value is set it looks up the ammo and uses that type. I'd like to add that feature, but that's not how it currently works.