Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] Version 8+

I am checking my players character sheets and noticed something odd if 3d dice are turned on.  When a player (or NPC) hits someone else, they roll 1 d20 as normal. However, when they roll damage, they seem to be rolling double the dice they are suppose to. For example, my cleric using a longsword is rolling 2d8's instead of one. Another example is an NPC is rolling 4d6 instead of 2d6.  Whats even odder is that roll20 seems to be ignoring the extra dice. On the 2d8's instead of 1d8, sometimes it picks the higher number, but also sometimes picks the lower number. Roll20 seems to be rolling a phantom dice that doesn't mean anything.  I looked at the character sheets and don't have anything like advantage or such on. Anyone else see that happen?

Edited 1509749374
DM said: I am checking my players character sheets and noticed something odd if 3d dice are turned on.  When a player (or NPC) hits someone else, they roll 1 d20 as normal. However, when they roll damage, they seem to be rolling double the dice they are suppose to. For example, my cleric using a longsword is rolling 2d8's instead of one. Another example is an NPC is rolling 4d6 instead of 2d6.  Whats even odder is that roll20 seems to be ignoring the extra dice. On the 2d8's instead of 1d8, sometimes it picks the higher number, but also sometimes picks the lower number. Roll20 seems to be rolling a phantom dice that doesn't mean anything.  I looked at the character sheets and don't have anything like advantage or such on. Anyone else see that happen? The sheet has no way to know if an attack hits or not if auto roll damage is set, so all the dice are rolled in the background (including possible crit damage), the roll template then only shows the relevant dice (i.e. if you didn't crit, it won't show the crit damage rolled). You can change it in the sheet settings to not auto roll damage, which will then get rid of extra 3d dice being rolled, but will mean you'll have to manually trigger the damage roll by clicking in chat. It's a roll20 limitation, not a bug on the sheet side.
Hey, apologies if this has been addressed, but the thread is getting long. Having an disparity between edit mode and and display mode. Before this character was fighter 3, rogue 8. I updated them to fighter 4 which shows in edit mode, but not display mode. I then deleted both classes and their levels, and re-added them. Now it just shows Rogue 8. Even when all classes were deleted, the traits didn't change. Has anyone figured out a way around this? I'm guessing some trick that tells the sheet to recalculate would do the trick. If there's no solution, I'll post it to Krix's issue tracker.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've had this problem many times, but cannot consistently reproduce it, so I abandoned trying to send it to the issue tracker. I usually wind up rebuilding the entire sheet from scratch. FWIW, the Hit dice usually fail to update when this happens. It looks like your character is in the same position.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The issues from before should have been fixed as part of 15.5.8. There may be some, but I haven't seen a reproducible issue for them after 15.5.8. They probably exist, but I currently can't dedicate hours to track them down.
keithcurtis said: I've had this problem many times, but cannot consistently reproduce it, so I abandoned trying to send it to the issue tracker. I usually wind up rebuilding the entire sheet from scratch. FWIW, the Hit dice usually fail to update when this happens. It looks like your character is in the same position. Yup. Exactly that. Sometimes the fan turns on in my MAC and Roll20 app crashes in my browser, so I think the sheet is trying to execute on something buggy and it eventually runs out of memory. It's all good Kryx. If real life affords you more free time at some point perhaps you can take a look.

Edited 1509941096
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kryx said: The issues from before should have been fixed as part of 15.5.8. There may be some, but I haven't seen a reproducible issue for them after 15.5.8. They probably exist, but I currently can't dedicate hours to track them down. That's why I didn't follow up. If you've got nothing solid to work with, there's no point. If I do discover why this occasionally happens, I'll open an issue. Thanks for the work you put in on the sheet. TheWebCoder: I've sometimes been able to force the Hit dice count to update by clicking the link below the number. Sometimes. 
keithcurtis said: TheWebCoder: I've sometimes been able to force the Hit dice count to update by clicking the link below the number. Sometimes.  Will try. Ty.
I had used past versions of the sheet about a year - two years ago, and now I cannot seem to find how to add a status on a failed saving throw. It seems that when a saving throw is added, the only box for flavor text is on a success. Does this mean that the saving throw failure (for example a weapon that has: target must succeed at a strength saving throw 15 or be knocked prone) needs to be in the weapon flavor text? (same question at spells looking at hold person)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saving throw sections only have a saving throw success which will almost always be used for half damage. Saving throw failures are too complex to fit in that type of selection so were removed quite a long time ago.
This might be a question for the Shaped companion script, but I cannot seem to find the thread for it anywhere: As it is, I can import monsters via the !shaped-import-monter --NAME, and it will import them from the SRD. Say I buy the Monster Manual, will this import script pick them up from the MM then?
Dys AB said: This might be a question for the Shaped companion script, but I cannot seem to find the thread for it anywhere: As it is, I can import monsters via the !shaped-import-monter --NAME, and it will import them from the SRD. Say I buy the Monster Manual, will this import script pick them up from the MM then? If you have the MM all you need to do is drag the token onto the VTT. It will be imported into the sheet automatically.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe if you use the !import portion of the script, it will pull them in from the built-in (script) SRD information, though. I've run into fewer problems that way.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The script will not pull data from roll20's compendium though - they have not opened it up for that. So even if you own the monster manual on roll20 you'd have to type in the data for the script to use it.

Edited 1510114560
Good news and bad news. Good news is, I may have figured out how to reproduce the issue that's causing a certain people's sheets to fail updating level/hitdice and crashing. Bad news is it may be related to one of these issues: A. An old issue that caused a massive amount of d0 hitdice to be created, probably throwing an error into the hitdice calculation B. A conversion issue from older editions to a more recent version , although which one, I cannot say. It seems like the bug *only* affects sheets from older versions of the sheet (maybe as far back as 15.5.0, but I have a really good feeling it concerns one of the breaking change for blank fields roll20 pushed a couple months ago?) Right now, I'm reproducing the problem somewhat reliably with campaigns that have previously used an older version of the sheet at some  point in their lifetime. I'll post an issue if I can CONFIRM that my suspicious for these conditions are correct. Once I do, I'll send a suspect sheet towards the test campaign to confirm the issue. Edit: @Kryx Just wondering, but did the change to the empty fields affect how fields are re-populated? Like, if I, say, deleted all of the attributes relating to hitdice (from attributes and abilities), does it force a recalculation? One thing I noticed is deleting the hitdice count from attributes sometimes just deletes the field, but it never comes back. I'm not asking this as an issue report, but rather, wondering if there's a repopulation or something to add the field back in if it's ever missing?
is there any way to turn off the flavor text on spells? I don't want the creatures name to revealed and I am reflavoring spells and the flavor text is kind of ruining everything :p
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Flavor text? you can turn off the description (or edit it). Same with the emote section. I believe the name only appears if you have that setting turned on.
Text in orange is what I want to remove. I can't find an option for it anywhere.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can uncheck the emote field.
I assume you mean in the options menu. In the spell edit area there is no such option.  Either way unchecking that box doesn't change anything.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Turn "Emote" on in the "Display" section of the settings page. Then you can untoggle the emote field on each spell.
I am a Community Sheet user trying to get into Shaped, and I have a few questions; Is there an option to display less verbose spell roll templates? The default template will show everything, but most of the time I only need a saving throw / attack roll / damage roll. Is there a way to globally add conditional like Paladin's Improved Smite, and Rogue's Sneak Attack, including Critical Rolls? I find adding it to each individual weapon kinda clunky.

Edited 1510328646
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can uncheck boxes on a roll template to have it output less. For class features you should add such thing in the class features section (add the class and they will be added automatically at the appropriate levels). From there you link it on each weapon as desired. See the documentation for examples.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Calliban, you might find  this section of the wiki useful for linking abilities. Attachers are very cool and powerful.
When you import the "net" from the compendium, it is automatically set up to add the dexterity modifier to damage. That is not the case. The net forgoes damage for utility. Someone should correct that.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Issue tracker
I've just ended importing my 15th level campaign to the Shaped Sheet, and I have some problems. I am using the Companion Script, but I tested it without the script just to be sure. I've notice it takes a long while to open any character sheet, like 6-10 seconds. Roll20 kinda becomes irresponsive while a sheet is opening. Whenever I have players in the same session, things seems to lag a bit more (I can't change tabs in a sheet they have open at the same time, for instance). Is this lag common, or are there some common optimizations I should be aware of?
Calliban said: Is this lag common, or are there some common optimizations I should be aware of? Pretty common considering how beefy this sheet is.  Might want to make sure you don't have LastPass, but even without it still lags a bit.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dvergr76 said: Pretty common considering how beefy this sheet is.  Might want to make sure you don't have LastPass, but even without it still lags a bit. Pretty common for any sheet that stores any decent amount of data.
Kryx said: Dvergr76 said: Pretty common considering how beefy this sheet is.  Might want to make sure you don't have LastPass, but even without it still lags a bit. Pretty common for any sheet that stores any decent amount of data. Heh, yeah.  That's what I mean by beefy. :-) 
Dvergr76 said: Kryx said: Dvergr76 said: Pretty common considering how beefy this sheet is.  Might want to make sure you don't have LastPass, but even without it still lags a bit. Pretty common for any sheet that stores any decent amount of data. Heh, yeah.  That's what I mean by beefy. :-)  Also, best of you limit the number of spells on casters sheets. 
Calliban said: I've just ended importing my 15th level campaign to the Shaped Sheet, and I have some problems. I am using the Companion Script, but I tested it without the script just to be sure. I've notice it takes a long while to open any character sheet, like 6-10 seconds. Roll20 kinda becomes irresponsive while a sheet is opening. Whenever I have players in the same session, things seems to lag a bit more (I can't change tabs in a sheet they have open at the same time, for instance). Is this lag common, or are there some common optimizations I should be aware of? Add token actions to the tokens so you don't have to open the sheet.  This is easy to do if you have the shaped companion script. Just select the token at issue and type "!shaped-abilities" into chat followed by --actions, --traits, --spells, etc... The script will add all actions, spells or whatever as token actions for the selected token.
Is there anyway to look at ONE spell description at a time? Or just anything one at a time. The OG sheep lets you collapse and open 1 thing at a time but on this sheet its look at everything or nothing. Unless I am super stupid in which case please correct me.

Edited 1510798663
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Tyler: There are a number of ways: 1) Use the Compendium sidebar to examine spells instead. 2) Cast the spell so that the printout appears in the chat log, but make your intent clear beforehand that you are not casting. Since you are not a Pro user, I assume that you are not using the Companion Script to track usage. If the GM is using it, you will likely need to manually fix your available slots afterward. 3) Click and drag on a spell. Normally, you would use this to make a macro button out of it on the bottom bar, but in the meantime, it gives you the text of the spell, if without formatting. Just release the dragged-out spell while your cursor is still over your character sheet, and you won't actually create the button.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, best of you limit the number of spells on casters sheets.  Hm. It occurs to me that it might be efficient to store spells as lists in a macro, by name. They can be loaded via the script (with the macro properly formatted), plus another to clear all spells. This would be simple with creatures or characters with set spell lists, and those that have a lot more choice, like Clerics or Druids, could even have swappable sets this way: a social set, or an underdark set, or a default set. Instead of storing the sheet with a large number of spells, it gets stored with only a tiny text list or three. Kryx, do you see any problem with that workflow?

Edited 1510804735
Tyler said: Is there anyway to look at ONE spell description at a time? Or just anything one at a time. The OG sheep lets you collapse and open 1 thing at a time but on this sheet its look at everything or nothing. Unless I am super stupid in which case please correct me. !shaped-abilities --spells will create a list of all spells known by the token with slots available in chat. Just click the spell you want to cast.  Here is an example:
Those methods do work I suppose, maybe even just whisper spells to myself. I dunno what the companion script is. Is there no way to have a little gear or a way to uncondense one item to show content for that one thing? It is pretty rough say as a druid to look at your class feature tab without seeing wild shape take up pretty much all of it.  Anyway thanks for replying!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The companion script uses the API, which is a pro-level feature. Unless your DM is a Pro level subscriber, the trick above won't work for you. You can get the same output by pressing the "Spells" label at the bottom of your spell list. That will output the clickable list to chat. If you want to see the command that was actually sent, click into the chat field and press the up arrow. It will look something like: @{Character_Name|spells_macro_var} With "Character_Name" being the name of your character, of course. The sheet has many such built in macros, which can be dragged onto your macro bar or manually written in as token actions. There are even macros that output an almost complete clcikable version of you entire sheet to chat. I would strongly advise reading through the  documentation . It will be worth your time.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, there is a "condense"button on your class features tab that can expand or collapse all content, or a button to hide any given item on the edit screen, but AFAIK, no way to collapse or expand individual items.

Edited 1510822424
Vanakoji
KS Backer
Turning off condense and going to the spells tab makes if fairly easy to read any spell.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
15.5.9 Bug Fixes #633: Hit dice and level field not displaying properly for sheets from versions before 15.5.5 #631: Delay/No Response to using Short and Long Rest buttons Sorry for the delay in fixing issues. I've been rather busy lately. This should be all critical issues on the sheet - explanation is in the HD bug which should fix all HD bugs for all characters that upgrade to 15.5.9. I'll try to get to fixing some script issues soon.
Kryx said: 15.5.9 Bug Fixes #633: Hit dice and level field not displaying properly for sheets from versions before 15.5.5 #631: Delay/No Response to using Short and Long Rest buttons Sorry for the delay in fixing issues. I've been rather busy lately. This should be all critical issues on the sheet - explanation is in the HD bug which should fix all HD bugs for all characters that upgrade to 15.5.9. I'll try to get to fixing some script issues soon. Thanks, brudda!  And a big thank you for all the hard work you put into this sheet!  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Kryx! I shall now do the happy dance. Be thankful you can't actually see me.
My players were also dealing with those issues. Thank you for the fix!
So glad we could get that fixed and that I could help, since it's been plaguing the sheet's since roll20 pushed that weird breaking change. I spend a little too much time playing that issues come up really often (as you can tell by my play time) :P Now cometh an era of peace (at least I hope so)
Pakki said: So glad we could get that fixed and that I could help, since it's been plaguing the sheet's since roll20 pushed that weird breaking change. I spend a little too much time playing that issues come up really often (as you can tell by my play time) :P Now cometh an era of peace (at least I hope so) Pakki, this is the best early Christmas gift I could have hoped for :)
Dang it they need to give us a like button for awesome updates and for giving users that are great signs of LOVE!!

Edited 1510988477
Hello, Can someone please explain how I would add a 1d4 modifier for the bless spell in the modifiers section.
Albert R. said: Hello, Can someone please explain how I would add a 1d4 modifier for the bless spell in the modifiers section. Bless adds d4 to saving throws and attacks so, Enter after entering a name so you remember what it is, enable the attack and saving throw sections by clicking the box. Next enter 1 and select d4 in the first section of both of them. It should look like the following. <a href="https://i.imgur.com/fP6wroQ.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/fP6wroQ.png</a> After that, whenever you are blessed, check the box (next to bless in the linked image as that was the entered name), and the sheet will take a second a add that into all applicapble rolls for you.&nbsp;