Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] Version 8+

I love the functionality of the new Shaped sheet (the group I am part of is considering switching over from the Legacy Shaped sheet). The drag and drop feature is a big help in setting up spells/weapons. There a lot of things I consider a huge step up from the Legacy sheet. My only gripe is the way the sheet looks. I understand that the intention is for it to mimic the paper sheet, however, the sheet is overtly utilitarian. It really could use some color to brighten it up rather than being different shades of gray with a few green and yellow buttons to distinguish skills. Perhaps change the Dungeons and Dragons logo back to the old red letting with the stylized &, straighten and colorize the column with the skill and saving throw modifiers, and do away with the "floating" boxes for speed, initiative, etc and put them together. Separate boxes but attached to each other. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm sure Xanathar would agree a small change to sheet aesthetics wouldn't be a bad thing. :) (I've been told that was terrible and I acknowledge it's terrible.)

Edited 1514838238
Mallika said: My only gripe is the way the sheet looks. I understand that the intention is for it to mimic the paper sheet, however, the sheet is overtly utilitarian. It really could use some color to brighten it up rather than being different shades of gray with a few green and yellow buttons to distinguish skills. Perhaps change the Dungeons and Dragons logo back to the old red letting with the stylized &, straighten and colorize the column with the skill and saving throw modifiers, and do away with the "floating" boxes for speed, initiative, etc and put them together. Separate boxes but attached to each other. From what I remember when Kryx has talked about this previously, the decision for the sheet look being as it is was for the exact reason you mention, it is meant to mimic the paper sheet and therefore any changes away from that are likely to not be considered. Also, any colour changes could give people with colour blindness and other accessibility issues trouble reading the sheet. I'd recommend that if you wish to change these options for yourself, you could use Stylish to modify the look of the sheet for yourself at least (as well as anyone else you share the settings with).

Edited 1514845475
techiecarer said: Mallika said: My only gripe is the way the sheet looks. I understand that the intention is for it to mimic the paper sheet, however, the sheet is overtly utilitarian. It really could use some color to brighten it up rather than being different shades of gray with a few green and yellow buttons to distinguish skills. Perhaps change the Dungeons and Dragons logo back to the old red letting with the stylized &, straighten and colorize the column with the skill and saving throw modifiers, and do away with the "floating" boxes for speed, initiative, etc and put them together. Separate boxes but attached to each other. From what I remember when Kryx has talked about this previously, the decision for the sheet look being as it is was for the exact reason you mention, it is meant to mimic the paper sheet and therefore any changes away from that are likely to not be considered. Also, any colour changes could give people with colour blindness and other accessibility issues trouble reading the sheet. I'd recommend that if you wish to change these options for yourself, you could use Stylish to modify the look of the sheet for yourself at least (as well as anyone else you share the settings with). Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying it out with a preset style. I don't have a background in working with CSS? I don't know what this is, heh. Making the Roll20 site darker does help, but it doesn't do anything specificially to the sheet itself. Edit: I found a style that affects Shaped. Thanks again.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Shaped Legacy has been deprecated for almost 2 years now - I'm surprised people still use it. Suggestions and bug reports are best opened on the issue tracker which is linked in the OP of this thread. In regards to design decisions: The legacy sheet was really poor in terms of design. The  visual heirarchy for example on the legacy was absolutely abysmal with the amount of colors. Compare  Shaped Legacy vs the  current Shaped Sheet . Look at each for a literal second and then think about where your eyes went on the page. Legacy is absolutely crazy in that regard. Modern Shaped could be better in this regard, but it's significantly better than Legacy. Legacy was not a very good design in terms of UI/UX. The current UI decisions were made for specific reasons. Beyond the colors I'm not sure what you mean by "straighten the column with the skill and saving throw modifiers". The skill/saving throw bonuses are all the same width. If you mean centering then that's how the  paper sheet does it. Mallika said: do away with the "floating" boxes for speed, initiative, etc and put them together. Separate boxes but attached to each other. Reduce the width of your sheet and you will see why those floating boxes are floating. In the normal scenarios of a standard sheet width or a smaller sheet width the boxes wrap nicely, especially with darkvision which the vast majority of D&D 5e races have, not to mention other visions of movement speed posibilities that could fit in those areas. The section is quite spacey when the character sheet's width is increased, but there isn't much to be done about that from what I could see. If you'd like to put together some designs for how this section should look on a small width, medium width, large width with various sections showing I'd be happy to consider it.
Hi Kryx, thanks for your response. I believe the sheet was deprecated around the time we started playing as a group. I think it just happened to be the sheet our GM chose and by the time we were nearly 2 years into our campaign, another player said "Hey... our sheet isn't supported anymore."  Believe it or not, we only started really fiddling with macros and such a few months ago, kind of gives me the picture of a bunch of monkeys banging a few rocks together and going "Wow, we can do stuff with this". I see where you are coming from, certainly. From a suggestion from another community member, I tried Stylish which made the sheet (as well as Roll20) darker. The dark text on white background is much too harsh and changing it on my end helped a lot.  Admittedly I play on a very wide screen, so narrowing the window did help with the "floating" boxes. This is something I can live with and I'll pass it on to other players in the group because I know I heard some murmurs about "Ack my eyes, they burn" when opening up the sheet. ;) Alas, putting together designs isn't something I do, I'm sure there are people here who have such a skill set. If you need an IV started or a nurse to circulate in the OR with you, then I could certainly help you there. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kryx said: Compare  Shaped Legacy vs the  current Shaped Sheet .  Wow! That's a dramatic difference.
keithcurtis said: Kryx said: Compare  Shaped Legacy vs the  current Shaped Sheet .  Wow! That's a dramatic difference. I would say Kryx has done some work... #understatementoftheyear o.O
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
15.6.0 Features Death saving throw output now supports death_saving_throw_chances by outputting X / 3 or X / 5. All custom death saving throw macros must include {{death_saving_throw_chances=@{death_saving_throw_chances}}} .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Kryx, Is there a way to force the order of skills into alphabetical order, and renumber them? I've been using Groupcheck for a while and just realized it wasn't catching all the right rolls on the selected characters. Acrobatics might be $1 on one character, but $2 on another. Groupcheck uses the number to get the proper skill and my PCs seem to be all ordered slightly differently. I've searched the forums fruitlessly. I haven't reported this to the tracker, because it's not really a bug, and because I don't know if there already is a procedure to do this and I'm just not finding it, or if it's just the Way It Is.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can remove all skills and then click "Generate Skills" and they will be in order.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks!
Hi all, I'm looking to pick up the feat "Elven Accuracy" in the near future and was wondering if anyone knew how to add a third hit roll to my weapon attacks. I'm using Roll 2 rather than querying for advantage/disadvantage. The feat itself is: Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using [stats], you can reroll one of the dice once. I've just made a quick simply macro to roll another attack otherwise. Thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The sheet does not support double advantage (Elven Accuracy).
Ok, thanks for the response Kryx. I will stick with my macro.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm adding "Advantage+" and "Disadvantage-" as we speak, but that has no value for "roll2". Roll 2 is set to always roll 2. The only way to make "super advantage" work for that setting is to always roll 3 which doesn't fit with that model. I'd recommend using "Normal", "Advantage", "Disadvantage", "Advantage+", and "Disadvantage-" when I finish that (probably in the next hour).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
15.7.0 Features Mana setting now replaces Spell points wording with Mana Advantage+ and Disadvantage- have been added to handle cases of rolling an extra dice for all the possible dice systems. With d20 for example Advantage+ would be 3d20kh1
Thanks Kryx, you're awesome!

Edited 1515516645
Not sure is this is an issue, or I'm just missing something This is regarding using Warlock along with another Casting class (in my case, Druid). Since Warlock and Druid use different Spellcasting Stats (WL: CHA, Dru: WIS), spells you add default to one or the other, is the intent that when casting from a specific list you need to manually change the Ability Score you're using at the top of the spells section before casting the spell (assuming it requires an attack/ST/something that cares about your Spellcasting Stat)? I ask because manually setting up a (druid) spell to use Wisdom as its stat, when Charisma is set as the default Casting stat keeps reverting the change to Wisdom meaning I can't set up some spells to use Cha and others to use Wis based on which class I gained the spell from. Any info/advice on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated, and if this is a bug, I shall go report it on the issue tracker, just not certain if this is intended or not/what the intended method is for WL+Spellcasting. Quick Edit: Sheet version is 15.5.9 Edit: After some further testing, this appears to only be affecting spells dragged onto the sheet from the compendium forcing themselves to keep true to the 'default' in testing I noticed that also trying to change a ranged spell attack to a melee spell attack on a spell from the compendium also reverted to its 'default'. This definitely appears to be a bug, and I shall post it to the issue tracker (assuming it's not already there).
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Spells use the spellcasting ability of their class. So if you have a Druid spell prepared it always uses Wisdom. If you know it as a Warlock then it always uses Charisma. You should be able to use different spellcasting abilities on different spells as long as you do not modify spellcasting ability - that will reset all spells to the ability you choose.

Edited 1515517169
Thanks for the fast response, I just edited the comment to reflect some further testing with it and it appears to be a bug, so I'll be reporting it to the issue tracker. I am aware of how it should be working (by the 5e rules) setting up the sheet to follow them was the issue.The compendium spells apparently can't deal with being changed. So, for example having the default setup to be Charisma, dragging Chill Touch onto the spells list (intended as a Druid spell) it wouldn't allow me to change the defaulted Cha in the Ranged Spell Attack to use Wis instead, nor would it allow me to change the Ranged Spell Attack to a Melee Spell Attack incidently. Also, the Documentation repository is currently unavailable. Not sure if you are aware of this or not, so figured I'd make sure you knew. Edit: Which also means the Issue Tracker is unavailable as well it seems Edit 2: Just tested it on your 'Shaped Develop' game sheet, the issue is still present v15.7.0
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please try with a spell not dragged from the compendium before reporting an issue. Bitbucket seems to be having connectivity issues today - I noticed it as well.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kryx said: Spells use the spellcasting ability of their class. So if you have a Druid spell prepared it always uses Wisdom. If you know it as a Warlock then it always uses Charisma. You should be able to use different spellcasting abilities on different spells as long as you do not modify spellcasting ability - that will reset all spells to the ability you choose. Is there a way to differentiate if a spell is on multiple lists? For instance, if I am a Wizard 3/Warlock 3, and add "Protection from Good and Evil", does the sheet know when I ckcik it if I intend to use a warlock slot or a wizard slot? Or Bestow Curse, which is on both Wizard and Cleric lists. How do I make the sheet understand I want to use it as a Cleric spell, since I never learned it as a Wizard? The DC might change according to my ability scores.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: For instance, if I am a Wizard 3/Warlock 3, and add "Protection from Good and Evil", does the sheet know when I ckcik it if I intend to use a warlock slot or a wizard slot? Warlock slots are used first as they recover on a short rest. That is the logic Lucian used. keithcurtis said: Or Bestow Curse, which is on both Wizard and Cleric lists. How do I make the sheet understand I want to use it as a Cleric spell, since I never learned it as a Wizard? The DC might change according to my ability scores. When you multiclass you have 1 set of slots, not a set of slots for each class. The DC is set by you adjusting the DC to the correct spellcasting ability.
Yeah, it is only when dragging from the compendium that the issue arises. Manually putting the spell details in does not cause the issue with it reverting to the default after you change it. Meant to make that clear when I posted the update after testing, is the way the compendium spells handled controllable by the sheet, I had assumed it was? Since it's only the compendium spells having this issue, obviously I can manually add the spells and work around it, for now, though it would definitely be nice to be able to just change it. Should I still post it on the issue tracker, as it is only the compendium spells? Or were you wanting to make sure so that when it's put on the issue tracker it is clear that it is an issue specifically relating to dragging compendium spells?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please open an issue on the tracker with reproduction steps and I'll address it.
Reported to the Issue Tracker Thanks for the quick responces and all your work on the sheet Kryx
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kryx said: keithcurtis said: For instance, if I am a Wizard 3/Warlock 3, and add "Protection from Good and Evil", does the sheet know when I ckcik it if I intend to use a warlock slot or a wizard slot? Warlock slots are used first as they recover on a short rest. That is the logic Lucian used. keithcurtis said: Or Bestow Curse, which is on both Wizard and Cleric lists. How do I make the sheet understand I want to use it as a Cleric spell, since I never learned it as a Wizard? The DC might change according to my ability scores. When you multiclass you have 1 set of slots, not a set of slots for each class. The DC is set by you adjusting the DC to the correct spellcasting ability. Thanks, I forgot that slots were interchangeable between Spellcasting and Pact Magic.
I just had a thought regarding an addition to the sheet. Tooltips for the Encumbered, H. Encumbered describing their effects, similar to how Exhaustion does.
Is there any way to manually add to a PC's total hit dice? I'm starting PCs with 2HD at level 1 to help ease the early-level pain of a drastically reduced amount of healing available, but I can't seem to find a way to manipulate this number on the sheet. Almost brand new to roll20 and completely brand new to character sheets in it, so apologies if I'm overlooking something obvious.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You could add a set number of hit dice on the NPC version of the sheet. That will combine with PC hit dice.
Thanks, Kryx. Didn't even realize the two were linked. I thought it was an either/or for PC/NPC. Worked great.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
15.7.1 Bug Fixes #640: Carrying Capacity Not displayed . Also fixes carrying capacity not being updated when Strength changes and hit dice not updating on Constitution changes. #648: Spell Macro not showing Cantrips in chat #645: Modify state should revert when character sheet editing is turned off #646: Unable to change Casting Stat for Compendium Imported Spells Attacks will default to having the correct attack and damage ability modifier selected based on the section they are created from (Offense, Spell, etc). A spell’s saving throw ability modifier can now be set to use no ability modifier.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks, Kryx. You've been showing a lot of attention to the sheet lately. It's appreciated. :)
Hello, Is there a way to set token actions to default whisper to gm? I love using them, but don't want to have to edit them manually to whisper the rolls if i don't have to Thanks
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can set a sheet to output to the gm on the settings tab of the sheet.
Hey guys, don't know if this is something that happened due to the latest update. However, I can no longer add spells to the sheet. I click the +Add button, and nothing comes up. I tried it for weapons and items and it pulls up the add info, but not for spells. Any ideas?
Kryx, I just upgraded to version 15.7.1 of the sheet and 11.5.0 of the script.  Importing monsters from the MM doesn't work anymore. None of the attacks are imported.  Here is a screen shot of a black dragon:
Kryx said: 15.7.1 Bug Fixes #640: Carrying Capacity Not displayed . Also fixes carrying capacity not being updated when Strength changes and hit dice not updating on Constitution changes. #648: Spell Macro not showing Cantrips in chat #645: Modify state should revert when character sheet editing is turned off #646: Unable to change Casting Stat for Compendium Imported Spells Attacks will default to having the correct attack and damage ability modifier selected based on the section they are created from (Offense, Spell, etc). A spell’s saving throw ability modifier can now be set to use no ability modifier. Kryx, Now I am getting error "Error: Character Adult Black Dragon is not at the required sheet version [15.5.9], but instead [15.7.1]" Is this because the shaped companion script hasn't been updated?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please post proper issues on the issue tracker or it significantly increases the time for me to understand an issue. Albert, you need to update the script. Always update both the sheet and script or neither.
Kryx said: Please post proper issues on the issue tracker or it significantly increases the time for me to understand an issue. Albert, you need to update the script. Always update both the sheet and script or neither. Kryx, Where can I find the most recent version of the script?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is a link to the script on the first post in this thread and the first post of the script thread.
Kryx said: Please post proper issues on the issue tracker or it significantly increases the time for me to understand an issue. Albert, you need to update the script. Always update both the sheet and script or neither. Kryx, I updated to latest shaped companion script, but I still can't see the black dragon's attacks. Here is the error message: "TypeError: attack.attackTypeChanged is not a function\n at ActionComponents.attackTypeChanged (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:11:2632)\n at ActionComponents.parseAttackType (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:11:3341)\n at ActionComponents.parse (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:11:25606)\n at eval (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:26:5383)\n at Array.forEach (native)\n at Object.process (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:26:5077)\n at Object.eval [as -L3CPGLh5ZE7pZ-V0Dx-//false//0.9686700083882955] (eval at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:282:6), <anonymous>:98:2568)\n at _fullfillAttrReq (evalmachine.<anonymous>:257:31)\n at messageHandler (evalmachine.<anonymous>:288:6)\n at process.<anonymous> (/home/node/d20-api-server/node_modules/tiny-worker/lib/worker.js:68:55)"
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: Please post proper issues on the issue tracker or it significantly increases the time for me to understand an issue.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
15.7.2 Bug Fixes Fix attack and damage components caused by a rename of attackTypeChanged
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is there a reference for the spell level that is being cast? I have tried a macro that uses the cast as level inquiry, which works, but makes every spell ask for level even if that's not an option. I'd like to skip that step if it's not necessary. Specifically, I want to make an attacher for spell casting that rolls a change for a Wild Magic Surge. We have a house rule that makes it more likely to occur as you cast more powerful spells. basically, the caster must roll under (Spell Level +1) on a d20 to trigger the surge. Currently, I have a separate attacher that triggers for each spell level, with the formula manually produced appropriate to that level. A 2nd level spell for instance triggers the freetext: Wild Magic Surge Result [[1d20<3]] What I'd like is a single attacher for all spells that just triggers something like: Wild Magic Surge Result [[1d20<(Spell_Level+1)]] ...but I can't seem to find the proper attribute to reference in the wiki. Is there such an animal?
Kryx said: 15.7.2 Bug Fixes Fix attack and damage components caused by a rename of attackTypeChanged Kryx, I upgraded to version 15.7.2 of the sheet and everything is working now.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: What I'd like is a single attacher for all spells that just triggers something like: Wild Magic Surge Result [[1d20&lt;(Spell_Level+1)]] <a href="https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/issues/592/allow-modifiers-to-use-the-spell-level" rel="nofollow">https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/issues/592/allow-modifiers-to-use-the-spell-level</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kryx said: keithcurtis said: What I'd like is a single attacher for all spells that just triggers something like: Wild Magic Surge Result [[1d20&lt;(Spell_Level+1)]] <a href="https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/issues/592/allow-modifiers-to-use-the-spell-level" rel="nofollow">https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/issues/592/allow-modifiers-to-use-the-spell-level</a> Thanks! I won't beat my head against the wall looking for it.
Playing around with a character sheet today and I noticed that one of the options for a spell is to add a Special Effect. After fiddling with it a bit though, I can't seem to get it to work like I'd expect. Available fields are Type, Color, and Points of Origin. No matter what I use for the Type or Color though, nothing changes, it's always an the same type (looks like a Burn maybe?) and color (and it doesn't look like any of the colors from the FX tool). If I set the Points of origin to Source -&gt; Target, the explosion occurs on the source, and if I set it to Target, it shows on the target, but that's the only thing I've been able to successfully change. Options I've tried for Type: Beam, Explosion, Breath, Burst, Glow Options I've tried for Color: Fire, Acid, Water, Blue Any guidance on how to use this option?

Edited 1516588277
Michael P. said: Options I've tried for Type: Beam, Explosion, Breath, Burst, Glow Options I've tried for Color: Fire, Acid, Water, Blue I don't think it works if you capitalise the first letter like that.