Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Animations and AFoW Offical Feedback Thread

I've made some quick tests on the maps where I had the AFoW leakages and now they don't occur no more. I start again using it in my sessions and keep things monitored, but meanwhile I'd like to thank all roll20 team!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I am SO GLAD to hear that, Alessandro!     Alessandro V. said: I've made some quick tests on the maps where I had the AFoW leakages and now they don't occur no more. I start again using it in my sessions and keep things monitored, but meanwhile I'd like to thank all roll20 team!
Sam T. said: So I have an (apparently) related issue where the advanced fog of war is not being revealed for tokens which do not emit light themselves, despite being able to see due to other light sources.   We're using Advanced Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting.  We also have Enforce Line of Sight enabled so that players do not share vision.  The situation we're experiencing is as follows:  If a player controlled token emits light, then that token's vision reveals the advanced fog of war as expected.  However, for player controlled tokens that do not emit light, but can see in a region because of other light sources (e.g. light sources controlled by other players, ambient light emitting tokens on the dynamic lighting layer or map layer, or global illumination), then their vision does  not  reveal the advanced fog of war in that region for the controlling player. Note: Fog of War is not enabled.  All player tokens have "Has Sight" checked.  All light emitting tokens have the "All players see light" option checked.  I have tried both with and without "Dim Light Reveals" enabled.  I've been able to reproduce this behaviour in every different game I play in. By way of example: imagine two player controlled tokens (controlled by different players) are in a dark room.  One token emits light (with the "all players see light" option checked), meaning both players can see the whole room.  When the tokens leave the room, the advanced fog of war was only revealed in that room for the player controlling the token which was emitting the light. I'm still experiencing this behaviour after the hotfix.  I don't see this issue in the known issue list in the top level post.

Edited 1552085796
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for following up, Sam. I can reproduce this and have logged a ticket for it. I'll update the KIs list shortly. Thanks! Sam T. said: Sam T. said: So I have an (apparently) related issue where the advanced fog of war is not being revealed for tokens which do not emit light themselves, despite being able to see due to other light sources.  
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks, Faeriedae. We have a ticket open related to this lag issue. As you've noted, it's hard to reproduce, but we will keep at it. Faeriedae said: Just wanna bump this real quick and say the hotfix did not seem to fix the strange lag issue. To be more specific, whenever AFOW is turned on, and any token is present which would use AFOW  (I.E. Tokens Which Emit light or Tokens with a AFOW View Distance.) it causes extreme lag when attempting to move the tokens.
Great to see more fixes. And I also like that the token-bar fix remain in Dev-server until its ready for live. Keep it up.
I don't know if it's because something's wrong in my settings, but light can still peer through corner and stuff with AFoW even if the Light Line don't seem to have any gap in it...
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Can you post a screen shot of your page settings and token settings? (Uploading images to forum posts now works!)      Phabien-Jacob L. said: I don't know if it's because something's wrong in my settings, but light can still peer through corner and stuff with AFoW even if the Light Line don't seem to have any gap in it...
I am pleased to report that after some messing around with settings and check boxes, My AFoW and Lighting issues seem to be fixed. I am ecstatic! I should be able to get back into fleshing out a few floors of the delve I was building (I'll be sure to report anything that comes up). Then I just hope I can lure my players back with Time, Patients, and Bribery.  Thank you to everyone on the Team that busted their ass to get this in under the wire right before the weekend.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
I'd like to add my thanks to Roll20 for working through these issues despite all of the sound and fury going on around this problematic release. Some pretty serious mistakes were clearly made, but having been on the other side of this sort of situation myself, I know just how hard it is to get out of the hole once you've got yourself into it. I understand that people have been deeply frustrated - I have been as well - but I don't think that virtual screaming and shouting on a thread like this is going to help anyone in practice. Is there an intention to share some sort of post-mortem on how this release managed to happen with such serious bugs in it, and what Roll20 will do as an organisation to avoid a repeat of this? Some way upthread , I posted some observations that included some practical suggestions for the future. Maybe they're not practical, but it would be nice to know that some sort of thought is being given to the bigger picture here. I don't want to contribute any more distraction from the focus on actually fixing things right now, but it would be good to get a commitment - and I hope it would perhaps calm some tempers here - from Roll20 to discuss the meta-process issues around all of this publicly in the not *too* distant future, to help reassure paying users that it is worth us continuing to invest in the platform through subscription and content purchases. Cheers,
Stephanie B. said: Thanks, Faeriedae. We have a ticket open related to this lag issue. As you've noted, it's hard to reproduce, but we will keep at it. Faeriedae said: Just wanna bump this real quick and say the hotfix did not seem to fix the strange lag issue. To be more specific, whenever AFOW is turned on, and any token is present which would use AFOW  (I.E. Tokens Which Emit light or Tokens with a AFOW View Distance.) it causes extreme lag when attempting to move the tokens. I have a map in my current game where I can reproduce it without by too much difficulty. Right now it occured when I moved multiple tokens with sight and light emission at once and after this it lags whenever I move even a singular token with sight and light emission. Removing "emits light" seems to fix the issue. The lag increases the higher the light emission value is. This happens in Global Illumination as well.
Stephanie B. said: Can you post a screen shot of your page settings and token settings? (Uploading images to forum posts now works!)      Phabien-Jacob L. said: I don't know if it's because something's wrong in my settings, but light can still peer through corner and stuff with AFoW even if the Light Line don't seem to have any gap in it... Sure, there you go. Also, you can see, on the left side of the settings windows, the AFoW being revealed through the corner. The token's settings are at 60' light, but before I've try it with 60'/-5', 30'/25', etc. So that's the reason why "Dim Light Reveal" is activated. Thanks!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you reset fog of war since the update went live? Have you dragged tokens over that area while moving them around? Just trying to narrow down some possibilities. Thanks! Phabien-Jacob L. said: Sure, there you go. Also, you can see, on the left side of the settings windows, the AFoW being revealed through the corner. The token's settings are at 60' light, but before I've try it with 60'/-5', 30'/25', etc. So that's the reason why "Dim Light Reveal" is activated. Thanks!

Edited 1552147943
AFoW has been reset, no I didn't drag the token outside the bounds and it update only on drop, so I can't "scan" the map by dragging a token. Token hasn't been drop Token is dropped Moving the token, no effect (as expected) Drop/release the token The Light Line of the area is mainly "one line", as you can see MAP SPOILERS for Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage 5th edition! Here's how it looks, moving the token around the map while staying in the bounds of the Light Lines Stephanie B. said: Have you reset fog of war since the update went live? Have you dragged tokens over that area while moving them around? Just trying to narrow down some possibilities. Thanks! Phabien-Jacob L. said:
Lucian said: I'd like to add my thanks to Roll20 for working through these issues despite all of the sound and fury going on around this problematic release. Some pretty serious mistakes were clearly made, but having been on the other side of this sort of situation myself, I know just how hard it is to get out of the hole once you've got yourself into it. I understand that people have been deeply frustrated - I have been as well - but I don't think that virtual screaming and shouting on a thread like this is going to help anyone in practice. Is there an intention to share some sort of post-mortem on how this release managed to happen with such serious bugs in it, and what Roll20 will do as an organisation to avoid a repeat of this? Some way upthread , I posted some observations that included some practical suggestions for the future. Maybe they're not practical, but it would be nice to know that some sort of thought is being given to the bigger picture here. I don't want to contribute any more distraction from the focus on actually fixing things right now, but it would be good to get a commitment - and I hope it would perhaps calm some tempers here - from Roll20 to discuss the meta-process issues around all of this publicly in the not *too* distant future, to help reassure paying users that it is worth us continuing to invest in the platform through subscription and content purchases. Cheers, Appreciate this perspective. A public post-mortem is worth our looking into on this; let me see what happens internally once we've sat down and if there's value or if it would simply be an exercise in flogging. That said, there's a few things I can jump on now... First, I'd re-iterate that blurred animations got earlier triage (as did parts of changes in token bar behavior-- being that had the most immediate community reaction), and much of that decision had to do with its cascade potential (we couldn't "fix" images that had the blur, users had to replace them wholly). Second, we had our support and managerial structures simply get maxed out. After Charactermancer Levels Up  we were in a pretty decent place, but the double fire of Fanburst's sudden closure announcement (which, if it had been one merciful month later would've required very little changes as Bring Your Own Beat  would've been wrapped) and the accounts table hack  (which still has us working with outside security on vector-of-entry testing and hopefully will produce its own post-mortem) really sapped resources, extending this process. In mid-February we did begin onboarding additional dedicated Quality Assurance to execute the next overhaul of our process, which can hopefully safeguard our support and management in case of future overflows.  To rewind to a couple of your earlier inquires ... #2 We've been steadily working since October last year on getting a new ticketing system prepped. There still is not a firm ETA, but several important steps have been taken. #3 We very much agree with you that the Dev server as executed is not getting enough observations for us to work from. There are a couple of outlines for possible solutions we might implement down the road, but I don't anticipate those changes to be soon (although we'll see what we can tackle alongside the internal QA systems overhaul).  Hopefully this information is helpful as explanation, but not excuse. Roll20 is growing rapidly, and our efforts to catch up in personnel and systems continue. To your point, the process is harder amid shouting; although there are parts of it that will be trying for all, no matter virtual volume. To reiterate something that's been said in recent public roundtables, we as a company have more awareness and roadmap of what Roll20's needs are (including the community's desires) than ever before, and are making steady progress. Those of you who feel invested in that progress, know that anything you do to help the dialogue happen faster (less guarded, less adversarial) gives us the opportunity to build stronger and faster. Anywho, thanks for today's opportunity.
I just want to say here that it appears my AFoW issues, particularly the corner issue, has been entirely fixed. This is using the maps and dynamic lighting included in the Tomb of Annihilation adventure module purchase. Thank you!
Stephanie B. said: Thanks, Faeriedae. We have a ticket open related to this lag issue. As you've noted, it's hard to reproduce, but we will keep at it. Faeriedae said: Just wanna bump this real quick and say the hotfix did not seem to fix the strange lag issue. To be more specific, whenever AFOW is turned on, and any token is present which would use AFOW  (I.E. Tokens Which Emit light or Tokens with a AFOW View Distance.) it causes extreme lag when attempting to move the tokens. Hey, so I've continued to do some bug testing of my own, and interestingly when I use the 'copy game' function the issue is present in the duplicate of the game. So i'm curious if one of the devs made a copy of the game would the issue be present? If so that might help with trying to figure out whatever the issue is.
Did a little bit of fiddling to test out the AFOW stuff. Seems to work fine for characters that have "darkvision"  The character pictured doesn't have any darkvision (basic human) but is carrying a torch, and he only reveals fog of war for the specific spaces he's stopped in, resulting in a strange checkered pattern like in the picture above. Is this the intentional way things are supposed to look? I haven't used AFOW until after the update was released, but this doesn't seem like the way things are supposed to be working. The character is "carrying" a light source, shouldn't that light source reveal AFOW areas for him? Is it perhaps because the light source (torch token) is a separate token layered underneath the character token? If so, is THAT intentional?  I made some separate "drag and drop" tokens for different light sources (candle, torch, lantern etc) so we wouldn't have to constantly hop in and change the light radii for our PC tokens. Maybe that setup doesn't work with with AFOW? Addendum: With the whole thing where it only "lights up" the square the character is in, it would make sense if when I use the "this is the path my character moved feature (right clicking in a pathway so people can see how you moved) lit up every square he moved to in that path. Currently it only lights up the square he ends up in. Addendum 2: Strangely enough, the torch token (and similar tokens) don't seem to have any AFOW revealing capabilities whatsoever until they're linked to a character sheet. As none/generic tokens(the way they're currently set up) they just shed light and don't affect AFOW at all. However,linking them to a sheet that all players have access to, would of course reveal whatever the torch sees to ALL players, making this unusable for the intents of AFOW. all players need to see the light off of a light source, but if all players control said light source, they're all granted the vision it has. Not exactly great if they're say, behind a corner from it, or in another room entirely. I suppose the only way to do it is to have it as none/generic, and once placed on the token layer you grant the player access to control that token specifically?Which again means manually going into and editing a tokens settings mid-game... ugh. Lots of stuff in one here I suppose, but I'm hoping to get this to work nicely. It works just fine if you're just using dynamic lighting and not AFOW. Hopefully what I'm describing if clear enough on its own, but if not, feel free to ask about what you don't understand and I'll try to clarify. Here's a random thought I've had a couple times. I'd love to be able to change dynamic lighting ranges without going into token settings. kind of the way you can add status stuff, or change health bars. Maybe add something like that? Or maybe even a status marker that sheds light? That one would probably be strange since you'd need lots of different size lights... Anyway those are just some ideas to make managing light radii a bit simpler.

Edited 1552200646
Also, not sure if this is at all related, but it sure seems like an issue with AFOW to me. This character pictured above who's vision I have highlighted has Dim light vision. But this to me looks like he's viewing things in pretty bright light! It appears to be due to how brightly lit up AFOW squares are lit. I can't even tell the difference if I were to add "bright light" to his token like this here: In this secondary picture he has 60/30 vision. Can you tell the difference? Because I sure can't! And for reference, here are pictures without AFOW, using 60ft darkvision only, and 60/30 respectively: 60/0 60/30 Is there any way to "turn down" the brightness of the AFOW lighting so it's more in line with what dim light would be instead of bright light? I can't find any opacity slider for that...
Tim G. said: Did a little bit of fiddling to test out the AFOW stuff. Seems to work fine for characters that have "darkvision"  Hi Tim. I've been having exactly the same issue, which I described upthread as "advanced fog of war is not being revealed for tokens which do not emit light themselves, despite being able to see due to other light sources". This has now been added to the bottom of the issue tracker in the top post. Incidentally, I've also observed the single squares being revealed for the squares the token stopped on. Thanks for taking the time to detail it all more thoroughly than I did! 
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Tim and Sam,  Yes, both of those issues are in the Known Issues list now. The dim light in AFoW, when it starts at 0, is too bright (it is a tiny bit less bright than no dim light, though). If you change the dim light start on that token to - 1, does it turn down the lights? 
Moving issue here:  Simon S  said: Hi, I considered putting this in the AFoW and animations bug thread, but I had a quick read through and a search and I couldn't find anything similar so I thought I'd make a new thread. As you can see, there is a box around the usual circle that is revealed on a map by a player with sight. I have moved the tokens around on the map above, so the boxes appear not to be square, but a single token placed with fog reset shows that they are. DM view: CTRL+L: This was confirmed by one of the players logging into a game. They are seeing the same boxed reveal area instead of the usual circle. I haven't changed any settings in the game I first noticed it on. I also logged into an old game and it is affected in the same way. I created a new map and found the same thing. Settings are as follows (the same settings I always use): Note, I tried it with a smaller map, and still had the same issue. I also tried it with All Players See Light both ticked and unticked, same issue. I would say this happened sometime between Thursday 7th and Sunday 10th. I'm going to veer away from the dungeon crawl tomorrow and make it more of a wilderness thing, but would appreciate this being looked at, even if just to tell me what I'm doing wrong :) Cheers, Simon UPDATE: Happens in Chrome and Firefox For unassigned token, if All Tokens Reveal (GM) ticked it does the same thing. (this is in a brand new game created to test) Without All Tokens Reveal (GM) ticked, LoS seems to work ok
I can confirm that the issues I had reported earlier in this thread with the Lost Mine of Phandelver module have been fixed. Thanks!
In Wave echo the middle section of room 9 is illuminated and light spills into corridors and the ends of the room.  There doesn't appear to be a source for this light and I have global illumination turned off.  What might be the cause of this?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
For Simon and anyone else experiencing the circle/square issue, this is caused by the light being circular and AFoW revealing in squares. It's in the Known Issues list as an aesthetic issue. 
Stephanie B. said: For Simon and anyone else experiencing the circle/square issue, this is caused by the light being circular and AFoW revealing in squares. It's in the Known Issues list as an aesthetic issue.  Aesthetic?  No - please change that to Major Issue!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Jaume. I found the problem; the map itself is incorrectly set as a light source. To correct this: Go into the page, go to the map layer, and double-click the map. Change the Advanced Settings to remove all light/vision options. I have also put in a ticket to the team to fix this in a patch. Jaume said: In Wave echo the middle section of room 9 is illuminated and light spills into corridors and the ends of the room.  There doesn't appear to be a source for this light and I have global illumination turned off.  What might be the cause of this?
Stephanie B. said: Tim and Sam,  Yes, both of those issues are in the Known Issues list now. The dim light in AFoW, when it starts at 0, is too bright (it is a tiny bit less bright than no dim light, though). If you change the dim light start on that token to - 1, does it turn down the lights?  As far as I can tell, changing it to 60/-1 does absolutely nothing. The only change I could see from doing that is when not using AFOW, the "bright light" that characters tend to emit in their own square, got slightly smaller. Hardly even noticeable. And even if it did work, it would still make it impossible to do things like say, 60/30 bright/dim lights, no?
Sam T. said: Tim G. said: Did a little bit of fiddling to test out the AFOW stuff. Seems to work fine for characters that have "darkvision"  Hi Tim. I've been having exactly the same issue, which I described upthread as "advanced fog of war is not being revealed for tokens which do not emit light themselves, despite being able to see due to other light sources". This has now been added to the bottom of the issue tracker in the top post. Incidentally, I've also observed the single squares being revealed for the squares the token stopped on. Thanks for taking the time to detail it all more thoroughly than I did!  Glad to hear I'm not the only one to notice these things. :)
Jim W. said: Stephanie B. said: For Simon and anyone else experiencing the circle/square issue, this is caused by the light being circular and AFoW revealing in squares. It's in the Known Issues list as an aesthetic issue.  Aesthetic?  No - please change that to Major Issue! Seconded.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
One of the updates (sometime in 2019, but I am not sure when) has broken a feature in the adventures I put on the marketplace. On the overland maps, a token controlled by the GM sheds light, while a tiny token controlled by the players provides sight. Before the update, the map would be revealed as the GM moved the light token, and AFoW would leave the already explored portion of the map grey. Now the players can see the entire map before any exploration has been done. The same result happens with CTRL+L or a test account and does not change after AFoW is reset. The light drawing and AFoW distances are correct even with a scale of 1sq. = 100ft. Adjustments to light distance or AFoW distance update (grow or shrink) correctly, but AFoW distance is rendered as a square even though the map is Euclidean.  tl:dr The players can see to their full AFoW view distance on the token regardles of whether any light has ever touched a given part of the map.
Stephanie B. said: For Simon and anyone else experiencing the circle/square issue, this is caused by the light being circular and AFoW revealing in squares. It's in the Known Issues list as an aesthetic issue.  Hi, thank you for looking at it. It is kind of breaking AFoW though, it's not really just aesthetic - the players are revealing quite a lot more area than they otherwise would. As it stands at the moment, is there an expected time to resolve?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Phabien-Jacob, One possible cause of this is if your Javascript has been cached by your web browser. Can you step through this process and see if that fixes it? 1. Open the developer tools in your web browser. On Chrome, that's F12. 2. Click and hold the refresh button or right-click it. A dropdown of options will show up. 3. Click Empty Cache and Hard Reload. This will clear your javascript cache. Phabien-Jacob L. said: Stephanie B. said: Can you post a screen shot of your page settings and token settings? (Uploading images to forum posts now works!)      Phabien-Jacob L. said: I don't know if it's because something's wrong in my settings, but light can still peer through corner and stuff with AFoW even if the Light Line don't seem to have any gap in it... Sure, there you go. Also, you can see, on the left side of the settings windows, the AFoW being revealed through the corner. The token's settings are at 60' light, but before I've try it with 60'/-5', 30'/25', etc. So that's the reason why "Dim Light Reveal" is activated. Thanks!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The AFoW being revealed is out to the edge of the tokens' dim light, but square because of how AFoW interacts with grid cells. If you turn off the grid, you'll see that your players' tokens only reveal AFoW within the circle. Dim light revealing even if it's unchecked is also a known issue (though it looks like I missed putting it in the KIs list last week). No ETA on resolution yet; fixing the ruler issue and token bars are the next most important issues we're working on. Simon S said: Stephanie B. said: For Simon and anyone else experiencing the circle/square issue, this is caused by the light being circular and AFoW revealing in squares. It's in the Known Issues list as an aesthetic issue.  Hi, thank you for looking at it. It is kind of breaking AFoW though, it's not really just aesthetic - the players are revealing quite a lot more area than they otherwise would. As it stands at the moment, is there an expected time to resolve?
ah interesting - an issue that stops games on some maps is lower priority than something that is an annoyance at best>
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jim, Can you clarify how it stops your game?  Jim W. said: ah interesting - an issue that stops games on some maps is lower priority than something that is an annoyance at best>
If a map has narrow walls... and the round/square issue reveals the otherside of the wall....then the game map is no use until the issue is fixed. Measuring and having to half/double the distance is only an annoyance. The comments seem to imply you think all (other) AFOW issues are resolved; but are they truly?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ah, that's a different issue than the cosmetic circle/square one, Jim. Thanks for clarifying. Is that happening in your games? Can you post a screen shot so I can get an idea of how that's happening? Is it similar to the corner reveal that was happening before last Friday? Jim W. said: If a map has narrow walls... and the round/square issue reveals the otherside of the wall....then the game map is no use until the issue is fixed. Measuring and having to half/double the distance is only an annoyance. The comments seem to imply you think all (other) AFOW issues are resolved; but are they truly? I wouldn't say that, and definitely haven't said that. The post on Friday identified the "what's up next" list; I want to keep that as a pretty short list, so we have the flexibility to move to more pressing bugs as they get revealed.
Stephanie B. said: Ah, that's a different issue than the cosmetic circle/square one, Jim. Thanks for clarifying. The parts outside the circle that are revealed are areas the players should not see (yet) - so this is this NON-Cosmetic issue.

Edited 1552482735
Hi, just done that, then closed and opened back Chrome, but still got the same issue EDIT: I've also open my game on a different computer, still with Chrome, on Incognito and regular navigator, and I've experienced the same issue. I also wanted to say that it doesn't happen only with corners, sometimes an isolated square will be revealed, even if the Light Line don't have any gap and the PC's token is not in a straight line with the edge of a corner. EDIT 2: It's finally working on all my devices! Thanks to the Roll20 Team! Stephanie B. said: Hi, Phabien-Jacob, One possible cause of this is if your Javascript has been cached by your web browser. Can you step through this process and see if that fixes it? 1. Open the developer tools in your web browser. On Chrome, that's F12. 2. Click and hold the refresh button or right-click it. A dropdown of options will show up. 3. Click Empty Cache and Hard Reload. This will clear your javascript cache.ed. Thanks!
Would not it be easier to match AFoW to Dynamic lighting exactly instead of the first discovered by square and the second illuminating by pixels? I mean,  let them work both by pixels.

Edited 1552378806
Alessandro V. said: Would not it be easier to match AFoW to Dynamic lighting exactly instead of the first discovered by square and the second illuminating by pixels? I mean,&nbsp; let them work both by pixels. I also never understood why the systems seem so dissimilar. I mean, I get it from a gameplay perspective but at the same time.... it also feels weird. Same with the non-existent shadow-feathering. Yes, I know that D&amp;D has explicit rules for dim light but it's still weird. In the end I still don't get how you manage to make a 2D lighting algorithm to have bad performance. Something like what is described here <a href="https://www.redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/" rel="nofollow">https://www.redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/</a> (somewhat down the page) should already be efficient and easy to implement. (Edit: Ok it's not a great algorithm on big maps on its own. You'd need something like Binary Space Partitioning to only check points that are close)
Alessandro V. said: Would not it be easier to match AFoW to Dynamic lighting exactly instead of the first discovered by square and the second illuminating by pixels? I mean,&nbsp; let them work both by pixels. This is exactly what I've always wondered, and commented about a long ways back. This would also resolve the "revealed by global illumination issue". If someone has seen something, it should be revealed with AFoW.
Hi all, I've been following the thread for about a month now, and my sessions are on hold until the DL error is fixed. I am aware of the CTRL+L bug and I am not talking about that... My character tokens for Waterdeep have darkvision and are both able to see with DL on and emitting light. I have double checked about the emits light not being on, but the issue persists. I have rejoined as a player and the issue remains. Any fixes for that?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Tom, Can you please post a screen shot of your token's light settings, the page settings, and what precisely is the issue (tokens with darkvision should be able to see with DL on and emitting light, so I'm not sure I understand the issue.) Tom C. said: Hi all, I've been following the thread for about a month now, and my sessions are on hold until the DL error is fixed. I am aware of the CTRL+L bug and I am not talking about that... My character tokens for Waterdeep have darkvision and are both able to see with DL on and emitting light. I have double checked about the emits light not being on, but the issue persists. I have rejoined as a player and the issue remains. Any fixes for that?
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
@Nolan - thanks, it's good to hear that the process items are being addressed. I agree that there's no point in a "flogging" post-mortem. Keep the updates coming as you improve things and please be assured that there are customers who will be happy to see you invest in un-sexy process and quality improvements even if they don't add lots of shiny features.
Is there any sense of when auras not working without the grid might be addressed? It's a really big quality of life thing for the paladins in all of my 5e games.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There isn't an ETA yet, but it's on the list of priority issues to be fixed. John H. said: Is there any sense of when auras not working without the grid might be addressed? It's a really big quality of life thing for the paladins in all of my 5e games.

Edited 1552507743
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
When should we expect AFoW to only reveal squares the player can actually see through dynamic lighting? Right now I can, as a player, drag a token through a map that has no &nbsp;lighting and reveal the entire map in grey. Brian C. said: One of the updates&nbsp;(sometime in 2019, but I am not sure when)&nbsp;has broken a feature in the adventures I put on the marketplace. On the overland maps, a token controlled by the GM sheds light, while a tiny token controlled by the players provides sight. Before the update, the map would be revealed as the GM moved the light token, and AFoW would leave the already explored portion of the map grey. Now the players can see the entire map before any exploration has been done. The same result happens with CTRL+L or a test account and does not change after AFoW is reset. The light drawing and AFoW distances are correct even with a scale of 1sq. = 100ft. Adjustments to light distance or AFoW distance update (grow or shrink) correctly, but AFoW distance is rendered as a square even though the map is Euclidean.&nbsp; tl:dr The players can see to their full AFoW view distance on the token regardles of whether any light has ever touched a given part of the map.
It looks like your token has lighting on it? That would cause that effect you are talking about. Brian C. said: When should we expect AFoW to only reveal squares the player can actually see through dynamic lighting? Right now I can, as a player, drag a token through a map that has no &nbsp;lighting and reveal the entire map in grey. Brian C. said: One of the updates&nbsp;(sometime in 2019, but I am not sure when)&nbsp;has broken a feature in the adventures I put on the marketplace. On the overland maps, a token controlled by the GM sheds light, while a tiny token controlled by the players provides sight. Before the update, the map would be revealed as the GM moved the light token, and AFoW would leave the already explored portion of the map grey. Now the players can see the entire map before any exploration has been done. The same result happens with CTRL+L or a test account and does not change after AFoW is reset. The light drawing and AFoW distances are correct even with a scale of 1sq. = 100ft. Adjustments to light distance or AFoW distance update (grow or shrink) correctly, but AFoW distance is rendered as a square even though the map is Euclidean.&nbsp; tl:dr The players can see to their full AFoW view distance on the token regardles of whether any light has ever touched a given part of the map.